PDA

View Full Version : Arian Foster - Running for health

IHaveALight
07-11-2012, 12:03 PM
http://www.forksoverknives.com/star-nfl-player-arian-foster-goes-on-vegan-diet-calls-forks-over-knives-a-great-film/

http://www.forksoverknives.com/wp-content/uploads/ArianFoster570x300.jpg

Houston Texans star running back Arian Foster said he is trying a vegan diet. On July 5, he tweeted, “Officially a vegan now. We’ll see how this goes. But week one down. So far, so good. Feels wonderful.”

Foster is apparently a fan of Forks Over Knives – a few days later he tweeted, “Yes I have [seen Forks Over Knives], great film.”

In 2011, Foster ran for 1,224 yards and caught 53 passes, making him one of the top running backs in the game. In March, he reportedly signed a five-year, $43.5 million contract with Houston.

:thumbs:

Beantown Bronco
07-11-2012, 12:34 PM
He'll suck this year and will immediately revert back to being a meat eater.

Rabb
07-11-2012, 12:40 PM
of course the one year I get the #1 pick in my regular league and he pulls this ****

razorwire77
07-11-2012, 02:09 PM
I have no problem with a Vegan diet, but attempting such a drastic lifestyle change weeks before training camp when you play one of the most physically demanding contact sports in the world seems foolish to me.

Prodigal19
07-11-2012, 03:14 PM

Tony Gonzalez went vegan a few years back and didn't decline in production.

Beantown Bronco
07-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Holy crap. One example in the entire history of the NFL. I'm sold.

In all seriousness, just playing the odds, he's going to have a "bad" year compared to last year. It's just the way it seems to be in the NFL nowadays. The shiny new contract, the change in diet, an injury. Something's going to be the cause. Doesn't matter what. I wouldn't touch him with the #1 overall fantasy pick this year.

BroncoMan4ever
07-11-2012, 04:24 PM

This will play out like that Hamza Abdullah we had playing safety a few years back. Where for like a month his religion didn't allow him to eat properly than he lost weight and started To suck

DENVERDUI55
07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
This will play out like that Hamza Abdullah we had playing safety a few years back. Where for like a month his religion didn't allow him to eat properly than he lost weight and started To suck

That wasn't his diet he just plain sucked.

yerner
07-11-2012, 06:08 PM

and he changed it almost immediately because he was losing strength.

btw..anybody wanting to read an excellent diet book, his "all pro diet" is excellent. not cheap to eat the way he does but it is probably the most balanced approach i've read.

KipCorrington25
07-11-2012, 06:49 PM
That wasn't his diet he just plain sucked.

It was both his diet and he sucked. Hilarious!

I think Ryan Harris does that Ramadan thing too.

Kid A
07-11-2012, 08:08 PM
I have no problem with a Vegan diet, but attempting such a drastic lifestyle change weeks before training camp when you play one of the most physically demanding contact sports in the world seems foolish to me.

Even as someone who doesn't eat meat, I agree it's a surprising change at the point in the training schedule. That said, he has a personal nutritionist and a whole team of Texans staff on his ass to keep his weight up. I imagine he has studied and discussed with doctors what he will need to do to maintain football fitness and this diet.

And it's not as difficult as the general public might think to eat a high protein vegan diet - just need to eat a larger quantity of food and supplement with some protein powders. I grant, it's easy for a stick like me to say that compared to a guy trying to maintain a hundred pounds of muscle. That Tony Gonzalez, who has been very active in animal rights, etc, had to move back to eating some meat is a legitimate case in point. Still, Tony still serves as a good example of a much more balanced diet that the average, sedentary American with a 50% animal product diet (and not requiring nearly the protein intake of an NFL player) would be wise to move toward.

And I applaud Foster for giving it a go and I hope he can give a positive face to athletes using plant based diets. In the running community some of the top in the sport are vegan, and I've seen interviews with vegan bodybuilders, MMA fighters, etc. The NFL, though, is likely as strenuous a sport as there is on the muscles.

IHaveALight
07-12-2012, 02:29 AM
And I applaud Foster for giving it a go and I hope he can give a positive face to athletes using plant based diets. In the running community some of the top in the sport are vegan, and I've seen interviews with vegan bodybuilders, MMA fighters, etc. The NFL, though, is likely as strenuous a sport as there is on the muscles.

There is no question that a proper vegan diet is a much better diet for more slender style athletes than a meat based diet. And it has definitely been proven that bodybuilders can do very well on a vegan diet. Eventually the NFL will have successful vegans, it's just a matter of finding an efficient diet plan that does work. It doesn't surprise me that the first guy to try it wasn't able to stay strictly vegan. But I would be very surprised if it just flat couldn't be done successfully.