PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bud Adams was willing to give Peyton Manning $25M a year

Bronco Rob
07-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Titans owner Bud Adams put the full-court press on free-agent quarterback Peyton Manning this offseason. His press was so intense that, according to a report, he was willing to pay Manning $25 million a year to play for Tennessee.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported the stunning number, which is nearly $6 million more than Peyton took to play for the Denver Broncos in 2012.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19560278/report-bud-adams-willing-to-give-peyton-manning-25m-a-year

Besides all the "Brokeneck Manning" "One Hit and Done" jokes, another favorite of mine is that we offered Peyton more money than the other teams. Which fits his profile perfectly he's always been about the benjamins, the only reason he returned to the NFL is due his financial woes.

Last night John Clayton mentioned in passing when discussing the Brees contract situation that Adams offered Manning 25 million per and when he CHOSE Denver he told his agent he had 24 hours to get a deal done.

What's your favorite excuse on why Peyton CHOSE Denver. Oh I almost forgot we have a lousy offensive line and no receivers.

Thanks in adavance!

:thumbs:

Smiling Assassin27
07-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Why would he take $25M a year, thereby screwing his own team's cap and necessitating that they either unload talent to get under the cap and/or are unable to sign any new talent to put around him?

Archer81
07-11-2012, 09:05 AM
This matters now how?

:Broncos:

ColoradoDarin
07-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Matters this how now?

Chris
07-11-2012, 09:10 AM
How brow matter cow?

bronco militia
07-11-2012, 09:11 AM
**** YOU TITANS!

Kaylore
07-11-2012, 09:26 AM
I think this is awesome. It means just playing for the Broncos is worth $5 mil per year.

ColoradoDarin
07-11-2012, 10:12 AM
I think this is awesome. It means just playing for the Broncos is worth $5 mil per year.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZDkwIflUUUY/TdSeidfj--I/AAAAAAAAAKY/qDhICP0pMiI/s1600/math%2Bis%2Bhard.png

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-11-2012, 10:27 AM
The fact that the report comes from Mort is enough to make me take it with a shaker of salt.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-11-2012, 11:11 AM

Then we way over paying Joe Mays. LOL.

cmhargrove
07-11-2012, 11:47 AM
http://slanchreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/bud-adams-flipping-the-bird.jpg

Pick Six
07-11-2012, 11:50 AM
What's your favorite excuse on why Peyton CHOSE Denver. Oh I almost forgot we have a lousy offensive line and no receivers.

:thumbs:

The AFC West is so weak, that winning the division will be like taking candy from a baby...

DomCasual
07-11-2012, 12:04 PM
This should bring up some more great comments from Titans boards about how they never wanted Peyton anyway. I loved reading their hurt feelings when the signing took place.

Kaylore
07-11-2012, 12:07 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZDkwIflUUUY/TdSeidfj--I/AAAAAAAAAKY/qDhICP0pMiI/s1600/math%2Bis%2Bhard.png

I'll explain it to you.

The Broncos are paying Manning 20 Mil per year.

The Titans offered him 25.

25-20=5

Manning signed with the Broncos despite the 5 mil per year pay cut, thus we can conclude, at least to Manning, it worth passing on 5 Million dollars a year to be a Bronco, ergo Being a Bronco alone is worth 5 Million dollars.

:)

TerrElway
07-11-2012, 12:34 PM
So if I could scrape up 5 Mill I could give it to the Broncos and play for them?

MrPeepers
07-11-2012, 12:36 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/11/peyton-manning-mansion-house-colorado-denver-broncos/

peytons new digs on 20 mil

Heyneck
07-11-2012, 12:42 PM
The AFC West is so weak, that winning the division will be like taking candy from a baby...

Love your enthusiasm... but it ain't going to be anything near that statement. Bottom line Peyton chose us because we have the overall package for him to succeed. Like some other said... I would take it with a grain of salt coming from Mort... the dude does tend to be clueless and talk out of his poop hole most of the time (when it's about rumors). Personally I find it hard to believe that they offered 25 mil. Not because it would cripple their franchise cap wise (we all know Wilson is an old hack turning slow... but true into the next Darth Emperor), but because Peyton didn't jump on that offer considering all that TENN means to him.

bronco militia
07-11-2012, 12:42 PM
P-dog is going to get his drink on!

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/07/11/peyton-manning-colorado-mansion-22-480w.jpg

*WARHORSE*
07-11-2012, 12:55 PM
I'll explain it to you.

25-20=5

Manning signed with the Broncos despite the 5 mil per year pay cut, thus we can conclude, at least to Manning, it worth passing on 5 Million dollars a year to be a Bronco, ergo Being a Bronco alone is worth 5 Million dollars.

Unless the article said, 'Almost 6 million more?'

I got it though Kaylore, and laughed with ya.....heh heh.

The Broncos ARE worth playing for......heck.....Id play for them for the jersey.:yayaya:

Taco John
07-11-2012, 12:59 PM
This matters now how?

:Broncos:

It's a pretty nice factoid to know for people who like factoids. It also tells us something about what Peyton Manning thinks about our franchise - not to mention our chances of bouncing back to Superbowl form.

Garcia Bronco
07-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Peyton has already said why he decided us over others. It was John Elway and they way he approached the situation. John Elway and his resume is why Peyton is here. Pure

Simple. Because that 5 million is really 2.5 million after taxes. When we're talking 45 million...2.5 million ain't **** to really worry about.

Kaylore
07-11-2012, 01:56 PM
So if I could scrape up 5 Mill I could give it to the Broncos and play for them?

If you were Peyton Manning, yes; It would only cost you 5 Million.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-11-2012, 01:56 PM
This should bring up some more great comments from Titans boards about how they never wanted Peyton anyway. I loved reading their hurt feelings when the signing took place.

Those were fun times. I racked up like a 1,000 posts through that ordeal. Every hour was a new thread about a plane on a tarmac or an inside sources info.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-11-2012, 02:01 PM
P-dog is going to get his drink on!

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/07/11/peyton-manning-colorado-mansion-22-480w.jpg

Thats alotta WOOD. And on sir81's Bday too.

Kaylore
07-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Peyton has already said why he decided us over others. It was John Elway and they way he approached the situation. John Elway and his resume is why Peyton is here. Pure

Simple. Because that 5 million is really 2.5 million after taxes. When we're talking 45 million...2.5 million ain't **** to really worry about.

Honestly watching Tennessee go after Manning was like watching Johnny Friend-zone show up at a girl's door with roses and chocolates at midnight on her birthday. They went in with all emotion trying to sell Manning on why "they needed him."

Elway came at them with the angle that he needs to do what's best for them, but he's happy to have them. It was less college recruiting and more professional framing the whole thing around the player. Elway having been there knew.

I do think when they told him when Fox's teams score more than 26 points he's only lost three games in his career, and then pointed out that Manning averages 26 points a game, that had something to do with it too.

ColoradoDarin
07-11-2012, 04:46 PM
I'll explain it to you.

25-20=5

Yeah, 5, 6, whatever it takes.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c6si8Xp8P-M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c6si8Xp8P-M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Crushisback
07-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Adams is an idiot. If he did say this he should be fined by the league for saying this about another teams player.

baja
07-11-2012, 05:23 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/11/peyton-manning-mansion-house-colorado-denver-broncos/

peytons new digs on 20 mil

It looks like a nursing home.

broncogary
07-11-2012, 05:34 PM
It looks like a nursing home.

Bet I can beat you at shuffleboard, baja. :strong:

mhgaffney
07-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Gotta figure Elway was the X-factor -

worth at least $5 mil...

fdf
07-11-2012, 08:18 PM

I'd let you play on my team for $5 million. Let me know when you want to start. I take credit cards.

RhymesayersDU
07-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Adams is an idiot. If he did say this he should be fined by the league for saying this about another teams player.

First off, why should he be fined?

Secondly, no fine would make him blink.

Thirdly, grow a sack.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-11-2012, 09:14 PM
I guess he's not doing it for the money? I thought Manning was a greedy, glory hogging, jerk. Opppppppssssss.

Mile High Salute
07-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Doesn't surprise me. It was pretty obvious Bud Adams was pulling out all the stops. Offering Peyton ownership and a "gazilliion bajillion dollars" (copyright, Dr. Evil). He was practically offering to name a star after him. LOL

In fact, that's actually one of the reasons I secretly felt pretty darn good about the Broncos chances. Ownership matters. The organization matters. It's why teams like the Redskins and the Dolphins never really had a chance. When it got down to us, the Niners, and the Titans, we definitely had the best organization of the three, which in the end obviously played a big part in Peyton's decision. While the chance to stick it to the Colts twice a year must've been juicy, he'd be playing for an owner who doesn't even live in Tennessee, is 900 years old and probably won't make it much longer, and was offering him all kinds of silly crazy things. Contrast that with Bowlen, Elway, and Fox who gave him straight talk about what they were looking for and what they could give him.

Ownership/management is the same reason he probably passed on the Niners too, despite arguably a more Super Bowl ready team. He would never have gone there with Jed York still around, and then there was also the possibility (certainty?) of clashing with Hardballs. Heck, Hardballs is such a douche he can't even admit he was interested in Peyton. Hilarious!

baja
07-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Bet I can beat you at shuffleboard, baja. :strong:

Bet you can too since I never played. ;-)

Baba Booey
07-11-2012, 10:07 PM
That is some serious cheese.

Thank God Peyton probably said to himself, "How many yachts can you water-ski behind?"

baja
07-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Living in Colorado had value for him IMO

Drek
07-12-2012, 05:36 AM
The reason(s) Manning chose Denver have been very clear for a while now.

1. two young, very athletic, big WRs. Decker has the kind of lateral quickness that Manning exploited in Wayne, Thomas has the straight line speed of Harrison that let Manning hit home runs. Both of them are significantly bigger and stronger than their counterpart on the Colts. Manning is getting the best of both world here if he can motivate and coach up his WRs, which is something he always was capable of doing in Indy, even with later round guys.

2. The OL will now be going into it's third season with four of the five starters together, second with all of them together, and second under a new OL coach who has always gotten good results in Magazu. The oldest member of the OL is Chris Kuper at 29, by a 4 year margin over Clady who's next on the list if I recall. So He's likely going to play behind the same five or six (depending on how the new kid from Baylor does) guys for the next several years. Add that Clady with even a modest return to '08 and '09 form will be the best LT Manning has ever had.

3. Legit power running game. Elway knows how important a reliable running attack is for an aging QB, I'm sure Manning is aware of it as well. Not only would Manning and Elway find some common ground here, but Elway then can point to Fox's track record of running the football.

4. Financial flexibility to get the TEs he wanted. Simple enough really, though I think by the end of the year all those who jump on Tamme real early in their fantasy leagues will be disappointed when Julius Thomas emerges as a major threat.

5. A handful of key defensive playmakers. When healthy Champ, Doom, and Miller are a dynamic three star combo against opposing passing attacks. Manning has become accustomed to being able to build a lead and make the opposition play at a disadvantage thanks to similar players. While Freeney and Mathis are getting old Doom and Miller are just starting in on their prime years together, and the Colts never had an elite cover DB like Champ.

The only team that came close to matching all of this criteria is San Fran who joined the game late and were unwilling to give Manning nearly as much latitude to redesign the offense around his comfort zones, so they fall out almost immediately.

Denver was the idealized landing spot for Manning. He couldn't have drawn up a better scenario for him to step into after leaving Indy.