PDA

View Full Version : Is Peyton the Answer

Josh007
07-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Is Peyton the answer to the Broncos getting to the Super Bowl?

broncocalijohn
07-09-2012, 03:12 PM
We have a few more pieces needed to get to the Super Bowl. But, without him, we wouldn't make it .

BTW, first post and not only makes thread but poll included. Just the fact he got around the specifics of editting the subject line leads me to believe this is a alternate account. If not, you have balls dude!

NFLBRONCO
07-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Yes at QB position

but, no this team needs more help luck and health to reach sb but, it will be fun and interesting to watch.

Imagine how much easier it will be for FO to add pieces in 2013 and beyond if Manning plays well this year.

I think a few players are curious on how he'll look after a year off and on a new team. Maybe this was why FO made longterm moves this year to actually see how this all fits before they went crazy on adding vets for a legit sb run.

DarkHorse30
07-09-2012, 03:17 PM
We have a few more pieces needed to get to the Super Bowl. But, without him, we wouldn't make it without him.

BTW, first post and not only makes thread but poll included. You have balls dude!

I agree - but to call yourself "josh" is an invitation to your own smearing.

Taco John
07-09-2012, 03:41 PM
The answer to the superbowl is building the right team. Quarterback was only one problem that we had that needed fixing.

Play2win
07-09-2012, 03:55 PM
You need to fix the QB first. Once you fix the QB, then you can fix everything else. Fix the source problem, then start working on fixing all the dependent problems/solutions.

Elway believes he fixed the QB, with Manning and OSX. So, is Manning the answer to the Broncos getting to (and winning) the Superbowl? Yes, either directly or indirectly, of course he is.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-09-2012, 04:06 PM
The best answer I can give you is.... I don't know. But I can say this. The answer is NOT ORTON. The answer is NOT TEBOW.

Taco John
07-09-2012, 04:10 PM
The best answer I can give you is.... I don't know. But I can say this. The answer is NOT ORTON. The answer is NOT TEBOW.

Personally, I would have been happy to have Tebow at QB for another year to see what develops, but the opportunity to have Peyton Manning at QB is too much to pass up.

DivineLegion
07-09-2012, 04:28 PM
This offseason reminds me more of the 03' broncos offseason, and less of the 08' broncos offseason. Does that answer the question?

Tim
07-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Yes, bump this in mid February 2014

OrangeSe7en
07-09-2012, 05:41 PM
He is a question and not THE question or THE answer.

Archer81
07-09-2012, 05:41 PM
This offseason vaguely reminds me of 1995-96. 8-8, then 13-3. Older QB with parts on the team but needing rookies and FA's to fill the holes.

So my answer is we'll see.

:Broncos:

OBF1
07-09-2012, 05:48 PM
I answered NO

Adding Peyton to this team does not make it a SB contender. No need to look any further than having DJ playing LB and our inexperienced/injury prone DL.

Will take more than Peyton to get us to the promised land.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-09-2012, 06:12 PM
I answered NO

Adding Peyton to this team does not make it a SB contender. No need to look any further than having DJ playing LB and our inexperienced/injury prone DL.

I agree. Peyton is a definite upgrade but there's more that needs to be addressed. LB position is now a problem and Ty warren needs to show he can stay on the field.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Personally, I would have been happy to have Tebow at QB for another year to see what develops, but the opportunity to have Peyton Manning at QB is too much to pass up.

Sorry, I love Tebow the kid. There is what you can a man! But that guy throwing the ball? I'm tired of watching dying ducks, one hoppers, and two option reads. I know QBs that has the leadership qualities like Tebow don't grow on trees, but I need a little more QB and less middle linebacker.

SouthStndJunkie
07-09-2012, 07:51 PM
I think Peyton gives us the greatest opportunity to get to the Super Bowl in the next couple of years.

I look for Denver to be a 10-6 playoff team this year and then foresee Denver going on a 2-3 year run where we challenge for the Super Bowl with a veteran Hall of Fame QB, much like the run we had from 1996 to 1998.

SouthStndJunkie
07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
This offseason vaguely reminds me of 1995-96. 8-8, then 13-3. Older QB with parts on the team but needing rookies and FA's to fill the holes.

So my answer is we'll see.

I see a lot of similarities as well....I could see us going 9-7 or 10-6 this year and then going on an awesome 2 or 3 year roll with Peyton Manning at the helm.

That would be epic and a lot of fun to watch.

Back then I had my season tickets and lived in Colorado and was lucky enough to go to almost all of the home games during that era.

I've still got my season tickets, but live in Ohio....but I'll fly out for some home playoff games to watch Peyton Manning lead the team to another Super Bowl or two.

Requiem
07-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Peyton Manning is a roll of the dice, but the payoff is incredible if you hit. From my perspective: The realistic window is two years, if he plays a third I would be surprised. I don't question his ability, I just think it comes down to team performance. If Denver doesn't go anywhere in two years, would he want to keep going? I can't predict the future, but I don't think this is our year. We have a brutal schedule and a lot of variables. Big adjustments and a time to see if some second or third year players begin to progress into legitimate NFL starters.

I think that one more round of free agency and an impact player from the 2013 draft can turn this team into a contender. Outside a few veterans, this is an extremely young team. There are only a handful of true Broncos veterans left, but there is a lot of youth and talent that could blossom. Hopefully Manning's professionalism and love for the game rubs some inner-fire to the bellies of our up and comers. He immediately replaces the leadership void lost with Brian Dawkins heading to retirement.

I'm excited for this year and the future, whether it be with Manning or MacGruder at QB!

crush17
07-09-2012, 08:09 PM
I answered NO

http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-sexy-smileys-944.gif

bowtown
07-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Of course he's the answer, idiots.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Personally I always thought Allen iverson was the answer

theAPAOps5
07-09-2012, 08:34 PM
I thought it was 4

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-09-2012, 08:38 PM
I thought it was 4

Close. Its 42.

Bacchus
07-09-2012, 08:52 PM

If Peyton does nothing else he ran the circusout of town. So yes he is the answer for that problem.

errand
07-09-2012, 09:02 PM
We're a lot closer to the SB with him than we'd ever be without him

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-09-2012, 09:12 PM

Normally I would scream "100 post rule". But nice question here. Good job rookie even though we've talked around the issue, now we get to talk directly to the issue.

Pick Six
07-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Peyton is AN answer, not THE answer. Many people would argue that Elway wouldn't have had those rings, without Terrell Davis. It's a very good point, and I hope we can find the go-to RB that will make the difference...

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Peyton is AN answer, not THE answer. Many people would argue that Elway wouldn't have had those rings, without Terrell Davis. It's a very good point, and I hope we can find the go-to RB that will make the difference...

^this. This is football. Not tennis. No one man does a team make.

razorwire77
07-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Would've liked a public poll. In short, I think if Peyton is 85-90 percent of what he was in Indy, he's an integral part of a Superbowl run. I don't think it's going to be this year, but with two outstanding edge rushers, and an upgraded secondary this team does have talent. I think several things beyond just Peyton have to happen/align for it to be a team built to make a playoff run.

1.) Ryan Clady returns to All-Pro form.
2.) Demaryius Thomas stays healthy and becomes a legitimate no. 1 receiver.
3.) A decent DT rotation is established.
4.) Hillman is able to step into an immediate 10 carry change of pace speed back role, or better yet becomes a feature back.
5.) McGahee stays as healthy as a back north of 30 can stay.

SoCalBronco
07-09-2012, 11:27 PM
I'd agree with the sentiment that he's one of many important pieces. There isn't a single answer. His health and ability are probably the single biggest factor, albeit obviously not solely determinative.

I'm encouraged by the articles discussing the progression in his arm strength from early on to present and I suspect we'll see even more improvement. It's not a question of strength per se. There are really only about three routes that require significant arm strength.

Even an 85% Manning can transform an offense in ways that have little to do with physical skill. The best trait an offense can have is to be tendency free. Ofcourse, no one is purely tendency free. You can always find tendencies, by personnel grouping, by formation, by hash, by field zone, by down and distance, but Manning makes us alot more tendency free than other teams. It's essentially a "Check with Me" offense that is almost entirely audible based. There are always at least three options at the line, 2 run (one left and one right to prevent overshifting the front) and 1 pass was the combination in Indianapolis, it may expand here. We will almost always be in the "right play" against the front and secondary contour. It will be a matter of execution. Nor will formations help the opponent determine the likely play. Denver will be pretty standard in formationing, but if you run all your stuff out of each of your 3 or 4 formations, getting the formation doesn't really tip you off to anything.

TDmvp
07-10-2012, 02:48 AM
He just scares me... He used to scare me that he was going to beat my team and now he scares me that he's going to set my team back years.

I never like stop gap Qbs even greats in their later years. It just seem like it's boom or bust and I can name way more bust.

Just seems pointless unless you win it all to get one and if it fails your team's other stars are 2-3 years older and you're back to Qb hunting. I much prefer you hunt long term solutions , try them till you know if it's going to work and move on if not.

Qb is like my least fav spot for stop gap players if they are older players with major questions.

FireFly
07-10-2012, 04:01 AM
I voted yes, but honestly upon reflection I think we're still missing pieces and I'm not sure that we'll have them in place while he's still playing.

I think that there are some real question marks at all levels on the D.

CEH
07-10-2012, 05:07 AM
What Manning the QB with 4 neck surgeries still does better than any QB in the NFL is "defeat the defense" before the snap. He is still the best at recoginzing the defense before the snap and adjusting the play to find the weakness. He was a flat out Raven killer in Indy and that defense is the best

You have to have the QB before you can compete at the highest level for a Super Bowl

so yes he is the missing piece. He alone if the old Manning can take Denver to the Super Bowl.

Just ask Vegas. They are as tuned into the NFL as anyone

orinjkrush
07-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Sean Payton NOt being on the sidelines is the answer.

Josh007
07-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Peyton is the Real Deal. I know we have to get through the possibility of injury (but every QB has to deal with that). I'd take an 80% Peyton over 100% of the other options...!

errand
07-10-2012, 11:05 AM
He just scares me... He used to scare me that he was going to beat my team and now he scares me that he's going to set my team back years.

I never like stop gap Qbs even greats in their later years. It just seem like it's boom or bust and I can name way more bust.

Just seems pointless unless you win it all to get one and if it fails your team's other stars are 2-3 years older and you're back to Qb hunting. I much prefer you hunt long term solutions , try them till you know if it's going to work and move on if not.

Qb is like my least fav spot for stop gap players if they are older players with major questions.

all of these QB's had injury-durability-age concerns when signed by their new teams.....

1972 - The Miami Dolphins pay $100 waiver wire fee to acquire creaky old QB Earl Morrall, who takes over after starter Bob Griese goes down with injury, and goes 11-0 (including playoffs) as their starter preserving the only undefeated season in NFL history

1977 - The Denver Broncos acquired creaky old Craig Morton via trade from the NY Giants...he leads them to AFC title, losing in SB to Dallas 27-10. Broncos go 12-2, 10-6, 10-6, 8-8, and 10-6 with him over the course of his career, winning AFC west twice, making playoffs 3 times...narrowly missing out on them the last week in '81

1997 - The Falcons acquire creaky old Chris Chandler who in his 2nd season with them leads the Falcons to the NFC title over creaky old Randall Cunningham who led the Vikes to a 15-1 season. Chandler went onto lose SB to creaky old John Elway

2005 - The Arizona Cardinals acquired creaky old FA QB Kurt Warner and he leads them to playoffs twice, winning NFC conferencere championship in 2008, losing SB to Steelers 27-23 on a last minute TD.

2009 - The Minnesota Vikings acquired creaky old Brett Favre, and he leads them to NFC conference title bout, losing in OT to eventual SB champion New Orleans.

add in that creaky old Joe Montana led KC to AFCCG appearance in his 2nd year there, and that creaky old Warren Moon took Minnesota to playoffs his first year

That's 8 examples of where signing an older guy to QB your team has gotten those teams to the playoffs, with 75% of them making it to conference title game, and half of them (that's 50% like Tebow's completion pct.) making it to the SB...

i think that's a pretty good % of success

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Titans thought he was their answer. They were going to give him 25 million per year.

Turd_Ferguson
07-10-2012, 04:39 PM
This poll is not CoC certified and therefore it means nothing.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-10-2012, 04:42 PM

You're kidding me....right? They are all stop gap until you find the guy that is good enough, young enough, and healthy enough to hold on to their position until they suck to much, get to slow, or get to sick to play.

broncosteven
07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Would've liked a public poll. In short, I think if Peyton is 85-90 percent of what he was in Indy, he's an integral part of a Superbowl run. I don't think it's going to be this year, but with two outstanding edge rushers, and an upgraded secondary this team does have talent. I think several things beyond just Peyton have to happen/align for it to be a team built to make a playoff run.

1.) Ryan Clady returns to All-Pro form.
2.) Demaryius Thomas stays healthy and becomes a legitimate no. 1 receiver.
3.) A decent DT rotation is established.
4.) Hillman is able to step into an immediate 10 carry change of pace speed back role, or better yet becomes a feature back.
5.) McGahee stays as healthy as a back north of 30 can stay.

You forgot to mention if Kuper can play effectively coming off his horrific injury. Without Kuper at G our interior is very weak and teams will be loading up that A gap to get to Manning.

broncosteven
07-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm encouraged by the articles discussing the progression in his arm strength from early on to present and I suspect we'll see even more improvement. It's not a question of strength per se. There are really only about three routes that require significant arm strength.

Even an 85% Manning can transform an offense in ways that have little to do with physical skill. The best trait an offense can have is to be tendency free. Ofcourse, no one is purely tendency free. You can always find tendencies, by personnel grouping, by formation, by hash, by field zone, by down and distance, but Manning makes us alot more tendency free than other teams. It's essentially a "Check with Me" offense that is almost entirely audible based. There are always at least three options at the line, 2 run (one left and one right to prevent overshifting the front) and 1 pass was the combination in Indianapolis, it may expand here. We will almost always be in the "right play" against the front and secondary contour. It will be a matter of execution. Nor will formations help the opponent determine the likely play. Denver will be pretty standard in formationing, but if you run all your stuff out of each of your 3 or 4 formations, getting the formation doesn't really tip you off to anything.

I am more worried about how he is able to handle a week in and out pounding and physical exertion. Can he do it week after week without any set backs or weird spasms in weird places from the nerve.

I think he gives us the best shot to get deep in the playoffs but this team is going to have to be complete and support him to win a SB.

R-Mac
07-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Peyton Manning has a losing record in the playoffs. 9-10. 7 seasons without a playoff win. There are other pieces involved. The Broncos upgraded their situation at quarterback, but the team is the key. Manning has made some costly mistakes in the playoffs, so I don't expect him to carry the Broncos on his back and the be answer all by himself. If the Broncos' defense play like they did against the Patriots, allowing 5 touchdown passes in the 1st half, Manning won't save the day. If the Broncos' offensive line play like they did against the Patriots, Manning won't have a chance.

razorwire77
07-10-2012, 07:43 PM
You forgot to mention if Kuper can play effectively coming off his horrific injury. Without Kuper at G our interior is very weak and teams will be loading up that A gap to get to Manning.

I still think by preseason we'll be seeing Harris at RT and Franklin moved inside. Kupe was the best lineman on the team last year, but I'm thinking he's going to need some serious time to recover from such an injury and there has to be a serious question as to if he'll be able to play at 100 percent again.

Kaylore
07-10-2012, 07:56 PM
I'd agree with the sentiment that he's one of many important pieces. There isn't a single answer. His health and ability are probably the single biggest factor, albeit obviously not solely determinative.

Yeah. Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean picking him in the draft was a bad idea for the Dolphins. If winning a super bowl is the only criterion for deciding if a player being signed was the right choice, then 31 teams make poor decisions every year.

Manning is a step in the right direction and was the correct move whether we win a SB or not.

DENVERDUI55
07-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Yes he is right now. We didn't suck enough for Luck, we know TT wasn't the answer and you add a player like Manning when you can as long as you don't have a franchise QB. Even if Manning doesn't work out it allowed Denver to move on from the TT mess.

theAPAOps5
07-10-2012, 08:32 PM
This poll is not CoC certified and therefore it means nothing.

It has been CoC blocked, if you will.

Archer81
07-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Yes he is right now. We didn't suck enough for Luck, we know TT wasn't the answer and you add a player like Manning when you can as long as you don't have a franchise QB. Even if Manning doesn't work out it allowed Denver to move on from the TT mess.

I still think he is. The time it would have taken to find that out would have been prohibitive, especially in the light of EF-Ex'X's "plan". If Manning was not a FA, Tebow would still be here, and competing with Brock Landers Osweiler for the starting QB spot.

And a playoff run is not a mess, regardless of how people feel about the off field nonsense.

McDman
07-10-2012, 09:22 PM
I don't think it will be next year. I think it will be the year after. let's hope he stays healthy.

NFLBRONCO
07-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Yeah. Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean picking him in the draft was a bad idea for the Dolphins. If winning a super bowl is the only criterion for deciding if a player being signed was the right choice, then 31 teams make poor decisions every year.

Manning is a step in the right direction and was the correct move whether we win a SB or not.

QFT TY :thumbs:

DBroncos4life
07-10-2012, 09:30 PM
I still think he is. The time it would have taken to find that out would have been prohibitive, especially in the light of EF-Ex'X's "plan". If Manning was not a FA, Tebow would still be here, and competing with Brock Landers Osweiler for the starting QB spot.

And a playoff run is not a mess, regardless of how people feel about the off field nonsense.

No he wouldn't be.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-10-2012, 09:44 PM

I knew you were my favorite poster here for a reason.

Stuck in Cali
07-10-2012, 10:04 PM
I agree with most of you here. He is not the answer, but gets us a few steps closer to the goal. With him we have are QB position taken care of for at least 3yrs. By having him he makes the whole franchise better including the FO. Should be easier for us to retain the players we want to and acquire free agents.
Maybe he is a bigger part of the answer, but not the only part. There is still a lot of work to be done. But the great thing about this game is you never really know what's gonna happen.

Man I can't wait for training camp, pre season, and the regular season to see how it unfolds.

baja
07-10-2012, 10:12 PM

good post sir, well said.

Durango
07-11-2012, 12:40 AM
He carried mediocre teams deep in the play-offs more than once.

Yes, he's the answer.

CEH
07-11-2012, 04:39 AM
The question was "getting " Denver to the Super Bowl not winning it. Elway himself carried many a team to the Super Bowl

The old Manning can get to the Super Bowl with a running game and defense

baja
07-11-2012, 06:36 AM
People don't seem to realize that to get to the super bowl it takes one whole hell of a lot of luck. Every year lots of great teams don't get there.

Josh007
07-11-2012, 09:17 AM
I agree - but to call yourself "josh" is an invitation to your own smearing.

I don't know what the big deal is by navigating a site and adding a poll the first time? That should just be a testament to the ease of use of the site?

And what's your beef with the name josh? Geeesh I see way dumber names out there...so Peace out!

Josh007
07-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Peyton will be a key ingredient...NO Doubt! Look what he did for an abismall Colts team (turned them into periniall Playoff/Super Bowl contender) and look what they turned into last year in his absence 2-14! Peyton is THAT good!

DENVERDUI55
07-11-2012, 10:27 AM
It's funny that there are people that think adding a Peyton Manning doesn't put the team closer to the SB

Powderaddict
07-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Yes, Peyton Manning is a very important piece. NO ONE player guarantees a superbowl win. But Manning at least gives Denver a legit shot, and puts us in the discussion.

Josh007
07-11-2012, 02:09 PM
You nailed it!

DontBeMessin
07-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Peyton Manning is not the "answer" for the Bronco's. No analysis I have heard has said that he is the answer to the Bronco's either...

I was very surprised to see that so many people (fans) "think" he's the answer...

Play2win
07-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Manning lets the Broncos have the luxury of improving and building the whole team in areas necessary to be a superbowl team (dline, oline, secondary, mlb), without the QB question and distraction always coming up.

It lets the Denver Broncos focus and do their job: building and developing a superbowl team.

Anikai
07-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Who is......Peyton Manning??????

http://www.popfi.com/wp-content/uploads/jeopardy-roger-craig.jpg

oubronco
07-11-2012, 06:25 PM
We'll soon find out if he's the answer but he sure bought a sweet house, it's the one in the middle

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2012/0711/20120711__Peyton-Manning-House-denver~p1.jpg (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=4516437 )

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21054988/peyton-manning-buys-denver-area-mansion

Josh007
07-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Peyton brings the brains, ability, and leadership that can only elevate Dever to great heights in the franchise. He's a true master of reading defenses and making the right call at the line of scrimmage. Look for Greatness out of Peyton....!

Queersforbroncos69
07-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Tebow is hot. We should of kept him.

Agamemnon
07-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Manning went to two Super Bowls in 13 years with the Colts, and throughout most of that time he had much more talented teams than the Broncos presently do. He also was playing at a higher level than he is likely to now. Looking at the results of this poll, there seems to be a lot of orange-colored glass wearing going on right now.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Manning went to two Super Bowls in 13 years with the Colts, and throughout most of that time he had much more talented teams than the Broncos presently do. He also was playing at a higher level than he is likely to now. Looking at the results of this poll, there seems to be a lot of orange-colored glass wearing going on right now.

What makes you say that? Can you name me some FA that left the Colts and had success without Manning?

Agamemnon
07-12-2012, 06:38 PM
What makes you say that? Can you name me some FA that left the Colts and had success without Manning?

The Colts pretty much always held onto their stars until they had nothing left in the tank, so that's kind of a convenient measuring stick don't you think? And even if our roster is on par with those Colts teams (I don't think they are but you are free to disagree), do you really think Manning is going to return to his old form from five years ago? And even if he does, do you not remember that his team pretty much carried him to his one Super Bowl win?

Listen, I'm not saying we can't possibly do it with him. In fact, it would seem that we are likely in the best position to go to the big show since 2005 with his signing. But come on, this team has a swiss cheese roster and Manning has a history of crapping out in the playoffs. To think he is "the answer" is just nuts. We need to build a great team around him if we really want to win a Super Bowl. Period.

errand
07-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Looking at the results of this poll, there seems to be a lot of orange-colored glass wearing going on right now.

Yeah...probably....but there also seems to be 16 dumbasses who said "no"

NFLBRONCO
07-12-2012, 08:37 PM

While I agree with you about talent. What's wrong with being excited about a HOF QB playing here. Even 50% of old Manning is still better then wonder boy was. I'm not going crazy about expectations either just enjoying the ride for 1 2 3 or 5 yrs like others here will.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-12-2012, 09:23 PM
The Colts pretty much always held onto their stars until they had nothing left in the tank, so that's kind of a convenient measuring stick don't you think? And even if our roster is on par with those Colts teams (I don't think they are but you are free to disagree), do you really think Manning is going to return to his old form from five years ago? And even if he does, do you not remember that his team pretty much carried him to his one Super Bowl win?

Listen, I'm not saying we can't possibly do it with him. In fact, it would seem that we are likely in the best position to go to the big show since 2005 with his signing. But come on, this team has a swiss cheese roster and Manning has a history of crapping out in the playoffs. To think he is "the answer" is just nuts. We need to build a great team around him if we really want to win a Super Bowl. Period.

I don't mean to be stepping on any goes here. But, what I'm trying to say is a great QB covers a great many ills and makes good players look great. Will Manning be the Manning of old? No. Nor should we look for him to be. However, like any good QB he need a good supporting cast around to succeeded. I think one of the reasons Manning choosethe Broncos was because he knows Elway will try to build that team for him. Now somethings will look like the "Colts" offense. But I'll bet dollars to donuts the second we get a 10point lead we're going to run it like we ran it with Sammy Winder. 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

maven
07-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Yes, with what was available, Manning gives Denver the best chance today to reach a Super Bowl.

Agamemnon
07-13-2012, 11:36 AM
While I agree with you about talent. What's wrong with being excited about a HOF QB playing here. Even 50% of old Manning is still better then wonder boy was. I'm not going crazy about expectations either just enjoying the ride for 1 2 3 or 5 yrs like others here will.

The poll is asking if Peyton is "the answer" to going to the Super Bowl, not whether or not you are excited about him playing for the Broncos. And my point is that "the answer" is to build a complete team around him. Manning alone isn't the answer to anything.

NFLBRONCO
07-13-2012, 12:49 PM
The poll is asking if Peyton is "the answer" to going to the Super Bowl, not whether or not you are excited about him playing for the Broncos. And my point is that "the answer" is to build a complete team around him. Manning alone isn't the answer to anything.

I see what your saying about the complete team and I agree and its up to FO to get it done fast. Without Manning though this team doesn't smell SB run anytime soon. If Manning plays well this year Denver can fill holes like mad in 13. I think privately Denver is planning for 13 and beyond for SB run anyways. 12 is for reps with new team and build his strength to close to normal. So he is the biggest answer right now.

BroncoBeavis
07-13-2012, 12:59 PM
I see what your saying about the complete team and I agree and its up to FO to get it done fast. Without Manning though this team doesn't smell SB run anytime soon. If Manning plays well this year Denver can fill holes like mad in 13. I think privately Denver is planning for 13 and beyond for SB run anyways. 12 is for reps with new team and build his strength to close to normal. So he is the biggest answer right now.

There is no '13 "and beyond"

You just can't plan around a 40yo QB maintaining an elite level of play. '13 is the deadline. If they don't make a SB in year two of this thing, there's no way to regard it as a success. And the day PM leaves, this team is no longer a serious contender.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-13-2012, 01:07 PM

This reminds me of the Elway era. Talk started and ended with Elway. So goes Elway, so goes theBroncos. Same here. So goes Manning, so goes the Broncos(well add in Broncos need to stop the run.) ;)

RhymesayersDU
07-13-2012, 01:34 PM
There is no '13 "and beyond"

You just can't plan around a 40yo QB maintaining an elite level of play. '13 is the deadline. If they don't make a SB in year two of this thing, there's no way to regard it as a success. And the day PM leaves, this team is no longer a serious contender.

False. Brock OSWEILER.

CEH
07-14-2012, 05:29 AM
All any team can ask for each year is a legimate shot to play for Lombardi
and 75 % of the league won't even win a playoff game this year. That is a fact. Manning has made the playoffs every year he started except this rookie year. Adding Manning makes Denver one of those 4-5 teams that has a legimate shot before the season even starts every year he starts for Denver.

So yes Manning is the answer to getting to the Super Bowl above anything else the Broncos could have done in FA or the draft

Forget the fact that we have a freakish WR and maybe the next DPOY in Miller

Point differentail and or turnovers (with luck of non critical injury) is a pretty good indicator of a team's performance and if Manning can get the offense up near 26-27 ppg this defense will be about 19-20 ppg and a 6-7 point differenatial is a 12-13 win season. This is really what Manning will bring to the team.

I like those numbers even with the schedule because we've seen time and time again getting the hot QB at the right time is a prime key to getting to the Super Bowl

BroncoBeavis
07-14-2012, 08:04 AM
All any team can ask for each year is a legimate shot to play for Lombardi
and 75 % of the league won't even win a playoff game this year. That is a fact. Manning has made the playoffs every year he started except this rookie year. Adding Manning makes Denver one of those 4-5 teams that has a legimate shot before the season even starts every year he starts for Denver.

So yes Manning is the answer to getting to the Super Bowl above anything else the Broncos could have done in FA or the draft

Forget the fact that we have a freakish WR and maybe the next DPOY in Miller

Point differentail and or turnovers (with luck of non critical injury) is a pretty good indicator of a team's performance and if Manning can get the offense up near 26-27 ppg this defense will be about 19-20 ppg and a 6-7 point differenatial is a 12-13 win season. This is really what

There's more to be worried about than making the playoffs. It's not the crap shoot you're making it out to be. Over the last 9 years the AFC has been represented by 3 teams in the SB.

Dozens of others have gotten in over that span, but the cream generally rises. And the debate here is whether plugging one hole among many is all it takes. None of those other teams brought in a hired gun to lead the team. They grew their own. Now we get to see what difference it makes.

errand
07-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Over the last 9 years the AFC has been represented by 3 teams in the SB.

And one of those three teams was QB'd by Peyton Manning.....

SonOfLe-loLang
07-14-2012, 02:45 PM
There's more to be worried about than making the playoffs. It's not the crap shoot you're making it out to be. Over the last 9 years the AFC has been represented by 3 teams in the SB.

Dozens of others have gotten in over that span, but the cream generally rises. And the debate here is whether plugging one hole among many is all it takes. None of those other teams brought in a hired gun to lead the team. They grew their own. Now we get to see what difference it makes.

You're making it seem like this is a normal occurance. A pretty freak set of circumstances lead to us getting Peyton. Suddenly we have a top five guy ever to play the game as a "hired gun.". There's not a ton of precedence for this. And the closest examples, favre and Montana, got their teams in the conf championships.

CEH
07-14-2012, 02:56 PM

I didn't say it was a crapshoot in fact your post proves my point .
75 % of the team wont even win a playoff game.

I'm saying yes Manning is the key and your post solidfies my point

Thank you

The AFC over the last 10 years have been led by a guy named either Manning, Brady or Roth. Guess who Denver has leading them this year

Don't see Baltimore playing in the Super Bowl . How come. They have the most talent bar none especially back a couple years. How did NE do in '08 with a guy not named Brady?

Somehow Indy missed the playoffs for the first time in 10+ years? How come did they lose all their talent?

This is a QB driven league. I won't budge on that opinion backed up by who is playing for Lomabardi each year.

I like out chances with the young talent we are about to unleash on the offensive and defensive sides

IHaveALight
07-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Peyton only is not, this team and coaching staff is. 19-0.

BroncoBeavis
07-14-2012, 09:01 PM
I didn't say it was a crapshoot in fact your post proves my point .
75 % of the team wont even win a playoff game.

I'm saying yes Manning is the key and your post solidfies my point

Thank you

The AFC over the last 10 years have been led by a guy named either Manning, Brady or Roth. Guess who Denver has leading them this year

Don't see Baltimore playing in the Super Bowl . How come. They have the most talent bar none especially back a couple years. How did NE do in '08 with a guy not named Brady?

Somehow Indy missed the playoffs for the first time in 10+ years? How come did they lose all their talent?

This is a QB driven league. I won't budge on that opinion backed up by who is playing for Lomabardi each year.

I like out chances with the young talent we are about to unleash on the offensive and defensive sides

Big Ben already has more playoff wins then Peyton (and rings). And it ain't because he's a better QB. Brady hasn't won one since he lost his defense.

The "all we need is a new QB" carousel in Denver keeps getting us nowhere. Now this time we're selling it all for a two year window. The wheels fall off the franchise after that. Only a SB would make it worth it. Saying "Well at least he gave us a better chance" won't cut it.

CEH
07-15-2012, 01:37 AM
Big Ben already has more playoff wins then Peyton (and rings). And it ain't because he's a better QB. Brady hasn't won one since he lost his defense.

The "all we need is a new QB" carousel in Denver keeps getting us nowhere. Now this time we're selling it all for a two year window. The wheels fall off the franchise after that. Only a SB would make it worth it. Saying "Well at least he gave us a better chance" won't cut it.

How many Super Bowl wins is irrelevant to the poll question

errand
07-15-2012, 09:29 AM

Still butt hurt I see......

Stuck in Cali
07-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Bringing in Peyton is not like bringing in Jake. I liked Jake, but with Peyton you get so much more. He is truly a coach in the huddle. Players will step up their game, do things they would not normally do. Just like they did for John. They both have this aura around them that makes others want to sell out. As I have said before he is not the only part of the answer. It's gonna take 1-3 yrs to see how big a part of the answer he was.

Looking forward to finding out.

If I remember correctly even though is a 96 million dollar contract, the franchise/cap its not gonna be handcuffed and unable to add more pieces in the future, or still be paying him when he has retired.

DENVERDUI55
07-15-2012, 11:55 AM

Yep and no matter how you slice it your boy isn't winning a ring as the starting qb.

Josh007
07-16-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't have any worries about Peyton finishing the season healthy. He's always been one of the best conditioned athletes...you know he's taking his rehab seriously! Looking forward to a great season!

Bacchus
07-16-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't have any worries about Peyton finishing the season healthy. He's always been one of the best conditioned athletes...you know he's taking his rehab seriously! Looking forward to a great season!

I agree with this, maybe it is just me because I have never really followed him that closley but he looks so skinny.

oubronco
07-16-2012, 11:51 AM

They weren't going anywhere with Tebow either. That offense had already been figured out and shutdown. If not for a stupid defensive scheme they would not have beaten the Steelers and finished the season with 4 straight losses

Josh007
07-18-2012, 03:29 PM
With two weeks away from Fake Football Uhhhhm I mean Pre Season I super excited to see Peyton (hoever briefly) in game time action!

Bacchus
07-18-2012, 05:08 PM
With two weeks away from Fake Football Uhhhhm I mean Pre Season I super excited to see Peyton (hoever briefly) in game time action!

You said it Brother!!

Josh007
07-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Peyton is the REAL DEAL! He's going to make that offense less offensive than tebow was last season! Can't wait to see Peyton disecting Defenses throughout the AFC West! Legendary!

BroncsRule
07-20-2012, 04:19 PM
You're making it seem like this is a normal occurance. A pretty freak set of circumstances lead to us getting Peyton. Suddenly we have a top five guy ever to play the game as a "hired gun.". There's not a ton of precedence for this. And the closest examples, favre and Montana, got their teams in the conf championships.

There is one other example: Kurt Warner. He did pretty good in AZ, as I recall.

While it's true that no superbowl winning QB has ever switched teams after age 35 and won a Lombardi with his new team, there is strong statistical evidence to suggest that really, really good QB's tend to go deep into the playoffs. Which is all you can really ask. If you're hanging around in mid January & haven't been eliminated yet, hey - from there, all it takes is a couple lucky bounces.

Especially these days, in the Free Agency/salary cap era.

errand
07-20-2012, 06:16 PM
There is one other example: Kurt Warner. He did pretty good in AZ, as I recall.

While it's true that no superbowl winning QB has ever switched teams after age 35 and won a Lombardi with his new team, there is strong statistical evidence to suggest that really, really good QB's tend to go deep into the playoffs. Which is all you can really ask. If you're hanging around in mid January & haven't been eliminated yet, hey - from there, all it takes is a couple lucky bounces.

Especially these days, in the Free Agency/salary cap era.

I posted 8 examples where an aging vet coming off injury or having age, durability concerns....and half of them, Warner, Morrall, Chandler, and Morton led their teams to conference titles...