PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Peterson arrested

DomCasual
07-07-2012, 04:33 PM
A little surprising - he doesn't seem like the resisting-arrest type.

Reportedly, after the incident, the Raiders called the Vikings to offer their next seven first-round picks for Peterson in a trade.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8138600/minnesota-vikings-adrian-peterson-faces-resisting-arrest-charge-incident-houston-night-club

HOUSTON -- Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson was arrested on a charge of resisting arrest after an early-morning incident where police say it took three officers to subdue him.

More at link...

cutthemdown
07-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Doesn't sound to me like he really needed to be tackled and arrested. They were just mad he didn't listen to them right away as they barked orders.

Broncobiv
07-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Doesn't sound to me like he really needed to be tackled and arrested. They were just mad he didn't listen to them right away as they barked orders.

How exactly did you come to any of those conclusions based on the linked article?

Broncobiv
07-07-2012, 04:55 PM
The facts according to the article: the cop told Peterson's group to leave the club because it was closed. The cop then left to tell other patrons the same thing. When he came back to Peterson's group to ask them again, Peterson pushed the cop in the shoulder. He continued to resist when a second officer came in, and that is why it eventually took 3 cops to get him under control.

I don't understand, from that account, how you can claim that he "didn't need to be tackled and arrested" and that the cops were just mad that Peterson "didn't listen to them right away as they barked orders." Where did you come up with all of that? Since when was it OK to shove a cop?

cutthemdown
07-07-2012, 05:49 PM
The article I read on Profootball talk said Peterson was walking out of the club, then tackled from behind.

Sorry here is the article from profootballtalk. I just read something different. The shoved a cop thing I didn't hear. I had already read an article on it and didn't get that from the ESPN story.
According to the source, Peterson, his girlfriend, and some family members were at a nightclub in Houston. At closing time, a group of police officers entered the club, and they began instructing the remaining patrons to leave.
Peterson wanted to get some water before he left, but an officer told Peterson that he needed to leave. Some words apparently were exchanged, but Peterson eventually walked to the exit with one of the club’s bouncers.
It’s believed that one of the officers then jumped on Peterson’s back from behind and tried to take him down. (Key word: “tried.”) Other officers then joined the fray and completed the arrest.
Peterson was charged with resisting arrest, which implies he was being arrested for something else. He is charged for now with no other crime.

broncos-rock
07-07-2012, 05:54 PM
It's probably because he didn't think that the rules everyone else follows don't apply to him or his group.

DBroncos4life
07-07-2012, 06:04 PM
It's probably because he didn't think that the rules everyone else follows don't apply to him or his group.

wow

Gcver2ver3
07-07-2012, 06:20 PM
i wasnt there so no way i can be sure...

but i wouldnt be in the least bit surprised if this was yet another example of overreaction by the police...

does anyone know whether the off duty officer identified himself as an officer before he was "shoved" by peterson?...

if not, then he probably came off as some schmuck shouting orders unneccessarily (although he may still have fit that description even if identified as a cop)...

Broncobiv
07-07-2012, 06:31 PM
The article I read on Profootball talk said Peterson was walking out of the club, then tackled from behind.

Sorry here is the article from profootballtalk. I just read something different. The shoved a cop thing I didn't hear. I had already read an article on it and didn't get that from the ESPN story.
According to the source, Peterson, his girlfriend, and some family members were at a nightclub in Houston. At closing time, a group of police officers entered the club, and they began instructing the remaining patrons to leave.
Peterson wanted to get some water before he left, but an officer told Peterson that he needed to leave. Some words apparently were exchanged, but Peterson eventually walked to the exit with one of the club’s bouncers.
It’s believed that one of the officers then jumped on Peterson’s back from behind and tried to take him down. (Key word: “tried.”) Other officers then joined the fray and completed the arrest.
Peterson was charged with resisting arrest, which implies he was being arrested for something else. He is charged for now with no other crime.
Now THAT is a totally different account of what happened! ROFL! Thank for posting that one, too. It's amazing how two stories of the same incident can sound completely different! Who knows what really happened at this point...

bronco militia
07-07-2012, 06:45 PM
it sounds like he got a little upitty

cutthemdown
07-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Now THAT is a totally different account of what happened! ROFL! Thank for posting that one, too. It's amazing how two stories of the same incident can sound completely different! Who knows what really happened at this point...

Here is my new opinion now that I saw both. Profootballtalk has more access to players friends and family, they posted the players and maybe the agents account. ESPN more corporate and probably went by police report? Just a guess. Still my personal experience says if cops not charging you with anything but resisting arrest, it often means they were aggressive and got angry with the person. Then their I am king personality kicks in and they decide to teach a lesson.

Who knows who to blame, but I just don't take the police for gospel anymore. I have watched them lie in court to many times.

ColoradoDarin
07-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Arrested for resisting arrest, but not for say, striking an officer or assault or disobeying a lawful order?

Officer Farva.

errand
07-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Yeah whatever....he's bigger than alot of cops. Do what you're told, and the cops won't have to even lay their hands on you except to put cuffs on and protect your head when putting your ass in the patrol car.

Captain 'Dre
07-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Here is my new opinion now that I saw both. Profootballtalk has more access to players friends and family, they posted the players and maybe the agents account. ESPN more corporate and probably went by police report? Just a guess. Still my personal experience says if cops not charging you with anything but resisting arrest, it often means they were aggressive and got angry with the person. Then their I am king personality kicks in and they decide to teach a lesson.

Who knows who to blame, but I just don't take the police for gospel anymore. I have watched them lie in court to many times.

When dealing with the police, the only sensible responses are "Yes, sir" and "No, sir".

I'm not saying I like it, and I'm not saying it's 'fair'. It's just how you deal with situations with police without getting needlessly arrested.

I recently (last March) got hassled by a cop for running a red light.

I happened to be on foot at the time. Yes, that's right-- I was out for my morning run, at 5am, and ran-- on foot-- through a red light at an intersection. A cop zoomed up to me in his cruiser and started yelling, saying "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't write you a ticket NOW!"

I could've said "You've gotta be schidting me! Don't you have anything better to do?!?" But where would THAT have gotten me? Ticketed or worse, I'm afraid.

So I said "Yes, sir", and "No, sir" and "I'm sorry, officer", and he let me go.

Was he being reasonable? Not at all.

Would I have benefitted by making an issue of it? Uh... no.

GreatBronco16
07-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Why do you need the police to instruct people to leave at a nightclub??? At closing time? Did the club call them in because people wouldn't leave? Could their own security people not get the job done?

This all sounds pretty stupid in my mind.

sgbfan
07-07-2012, 08:00 PM

Gosh, not even cops can get it right. You can't try to go high or low on AD to take him down.

Agamemnon
07-07-2012, 08:28 PM
I hate cops. Especially cops down south. So I'm highly inclined to believe these guys wrongfully arrested Peterson and made up a story to cover their asses. It happens all the time, especially to black men in the south.

Broncos4tw
07-07-2012, 08:32 PM
I find it very difficult to believe that he was walking orderly through an exit, and a police officer made a flying leap and tried to take him down from behind. Something is not quite right.

oubronco
07-07-2012, 09:03 PM

That's the way they are reporting it here in Okla

SportinOne
07-07-2012, 09:10 PM
When dealing with the police, the only sensible responses are "Yes, sir" and "No, sir".

I'm not saying I like it, and I'm not saying it's 'fair'. It's just how you deal with situations with police without getting needlessly arrested.

I recently (last March) got hassled by a cop for running a red light.

I happened to be on foot at the time. Yes, that's right-- I was out for my morning run, at 5am, and ran-- on foot-- through a red light at an intersection. A cop zoomed up to me in his cruiser and started yelling, saying "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't write you a ticket NOW!"

I could've said "You've gotta be schidting me! Don't you have anything better to do?!?" But where would THAT have gotten me? Ticketed or worse, I'm afraid.

So I said "Yes, sir", and "No, sir" and "I'm sorry, officer", and he let me go.

Was he being reasonable? Not at all.

Would I have benefitted by making an issue of it? Uh... no.

It depends on what you value more, between money and pride.

GreatBronco16
07-07-2012, 09:24 PM
I hate cops. Especially cops down south. So I'm highly inclined to believe these guys wrongfully arrested Peterson and made up a story to cover their asses. It happens all the time, especially to black men in the south.

Oh stfu, no it does not.

Captain 'Dre
07-07-2012, 10:02 PM
It depends on what you value more, between money and pride.

And the value you put on having-- or NOT having-- a criminal record.

I would have my professional license suspended for a felony.

HILife
07-08-2012, 05:48 AM
wow

He did say didn't think, which means he thought the rules did apply to him. Not sure why the cops arrested him since he thought the rules applied to him.

dsmoot
07-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Gosh, not even cops can get it right. You can't try to go high or low on AD to take him down.

No, you go for his ACL. Not serious. The "yes sir" "no sir", total compliance attitude is the only way to go. Most of us have run into the authorities who bring the "attitude" onto the job and want to show us who they are. Many are just doing a good job that can be unpleasant at times because of those of us that they encounter.

Yes, some will lie. However, at the end of day, when its my word against theirs, I will lose. Keep your encounters polite, short and get away from the fewer "not so good" guys. Be thankful for the majority who don't get paid enough, that do a good job and want to keep the peace for all of us.

dsmoot
07-08-2012, 06:59 AM
Oh stfu, no it does not.

I would differ with you slightly. It does not happen ALL the time. It does happen often enough through profiling that it is disturbing to me. Especially when I have heard the stories first hand.

Garcia Bronco
07-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Gosh...it sounds like a bunch BS.

Dr. Broncenstein
07-08-2012, 07:36 AM
it sounds like he got a little upitty

You bastard.

Pony Boy
07-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Was he "sauced" ........

swaiy
07-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Oh stfu, no it does not.

ROFL are you really that naive... or ignorant?

Agamemnon
07-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Oh stfu, no it does not.

You can't be serious...

GreatBronco16
07-08-2012, 02:48 PM
I would differ with you slightly. It does not happen ALL the time. It does happen often enough through profiling that it is disturbing to me. Especially when I have heard the stories first hand.

Oh I've heard the stories first hand too. And by the time they are through with the stories, 8 out of 10 times I tell them, "well duh, look at what you were doing dummy."

GreatBronco16
07-08-2012, 02:51 PM
You can't be serious...

I live in the freaking south. 36 years worth of living right here in the Heart of Dixie. Yes I'm serious. It doesn't happen ALL the time. It does happen, but not at a rate that you would like to think it does. Not in the last 10 years or so.

swaiy
07-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Oh I've heard the stories first hand too. And by the time they are through with the stories, 8 out of 10 times I tell them, "well duh, look at what you were doing dummy."

So what you're saying is, 80% of the time someone tells you of an instance of them being racially profiled, you say, "well duh, look at what you were doing dummy" ?

Are you serious? First you make a generalization saying that it doesn't happen all that often. Then you back up your generalization based on your personal experience. As if you have really known enough people of color to be able to even make a claim like that. When's the last time you have been pulled over because you're black? When's the last time you got pulled over for having a friend of latin descent in your car? Do cops pull you over and ask for your green card?

You have to be kidding. I am actually praying that you are kidding.

You know what we call that, my friend? Privilege.

I bet you think Jesus was white with blue eyes.

This is all under the assumption that you are a non-poc. In the event that you aren't, that is a damn shame either way.

SportinOne
07-08-2012, 04:24 PM
So what you're saying is, 80% of the time someone tells you of an instance of them being racially profiled, you say, "well duh, look at what you were doing dummy" ?

Are you serious? First you make a generalization saying that it doesn't happen all that often. Then you back up your generalization based on your personal experience. As if you have really known enough people of color to be able to even make a claim like that. When's the last time you have been pulled over because you're black? When's the last time you got pulled over for having a friend of latin descent in your car? Do cops pull you over and ask for your green card?

This is all under the assumption that you are a non-poc. In the event that you aren't, that is a damn shame either way.

Hey may be generalizing a little bit but you are making some pretty big assumptions about him as well.

I've heard the stories, too. I don't know if it's 80% or not, but I often find myself looking at the ground, kicking dirt in an effort not to shed light on the truth of the "injustice." It's highly complicated, though. Privilege does play into it. But it's more of a perspective thing than a money thing.. money does play into it as well, i guess.

SportinOne
07-08-2012, 04:26 PM
And the value you put on having-- or NOT having-- a criminal record.

I would have my professional license suspended for a felony.

Except you're not going to get a felony for assertively stating your case to a police officer when you believe that you are in the right. Personally, I don't let police officers talk down to me anymore. If I feel that they are doing something incorrectly, i tell them. If I feel that they are being a bit egotistical and abusing the leverage that their badge provides, i'll let them know I don't appreciate it.

swaiy
07-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Hey may be generalizing a little bit but you are making some pretty big assumptions about him as well.

I've heard the stories, too. I don't know if it's 80% or not, but I often find myself looking at the ground, kicking dirt in an effort not to shed light on the truth of the "injustice." It's highly complicated, though. Privilege does play into it. But it's more of a perspective thing than a money thing.. money does play into it as well, i guess.

You're right. I did make some assumptions about him. I'm not saying that people are never in the wrong when they get profiled but I'm not going to sit here and say, "it doesn't happen that much." It happens MORE than it should. I wouldn't expect anyone of white descent to go looking for news articles specifically tailored to minorities. If people took the time to look, it's there. Just because it's not reported on the "main" news station doesn't mean it isn't.

The fact that it happens at all can be considered alot.

I can tell you one thing, I don't have to hear any stories. I live it. As a black man.

GreatBronco16
07-08-2012, 05:13 PM

First of all, those 8 out of 10 were my personal friends. And yes, they thought they were being profiled, but as they went on with their story, 80% of them were doing something that would had made anyone look suspicious.(yes, even whitey)

Second of all, my post was in response to Agam talking about the cops in the south. Him saying that it happens all the time is just false. I live here, have grown up with many different races, the majority of them being black. So yes, I know what goes on here. I hear about it, I read about it, I even see it. It doesn't happen ALL the time in the south like it use to years ago. Does it still happen? Well ofcourse, it happens everywhere on the planet.

Now the green card thing. Hey, I'm actually for this law. The Feds might be against people needing to prove their citizenship but all for needing to prove they have insurance, but not me. But that is for a different discussion.

Now you can lable me what you will. You don't know me and never will. I believe what I believe, and I know my south. I'm not someone who passes by from time to time and gets pulled over for speeding or doing something else stupid, then think I'm being profiled.

Turd_Ferguson
07-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Jesus Christ... Did the article say a White Cop jumped on AP's back because he was black? Maybe it was a black cop that jumped on his back because AP called him a Worthless Cock Sucker or maybe it was a racist asshole cop that jumped AP cause he was black, if you weren't there how would you know?? What does this have to do with the state of racism in the south?

Agamemnon
07-08-2012, 07:39 PM
False arrests of black men happen constantly all over this country. To say otherwise is the epitome of willful ignorance.

Next you'll be claiming that police corruption isn't rampant pretty much everywhere. Get your heads out of the sand people...

GreatBronco16
07-08-2012, 08:16 PM
False arrests of black men happen constantly all over this country. To say otherwise is the epitome of willful ignorance.

LOL, False arrests happen to every single race in the country. To say otherwise is the epitome of willful ignorance.

chickennob2
07-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Why do you need the police to instruct people to leave at a nightclub??? At closing time? Did the club call them in because people wouldn't leave? Could their own security people not get the job done?

This all sounds pretty stupid in my mind.

Well the guy was an off duty cop who was working security for the club. So the club did get their own security people to do the job, it just so happened that their security guy was an off-duty cop on a power trip.

canadianbroncosfan
07-09-2012, 12:17 PM
False arrests happen constantly to everyone all over planet earth. To say otherwise is the epitome of willful ignorance.

FYP

gyldenlove
07-09-2012, 12:34 PM

I think the real question that nobody has asked yet is did he fumble his drink before or after he was tackled.....

GreatBronco16
07-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Well the guy was an off duty cop who was working security for the club. So the club did get their own security people to do the job, it just so happened that their security guy was an off-duty cop on a power trip.

Yeah I saw that later on after I made that post. I was going with the OP that said a group of police officers entered the club and started instructing people to leave.

Taco John
07-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Here is the mugshot:

http://i.imgur.com/Uko49.jpg

brother love
07-09-2012, 05:06 PM
He looks like he is not in his right mind in that picture.

Broncos_OTM
07-09-2012, 07:40 PM
what's he doing off the plantation. do they let slaves just walk around in the south nowadays... sheesh

Agamemnon
07-09-2012, 08:43 PM
LOL, False arrests happen to every single race in the country. To say otherwise is the epitome of willful ignorance.

I don't disagree, but if you think it happens as often to white people as it does to blacks or hispanics you are nuts.

GreatBronco16
07-09-2012, 09:21 PM
I don't disagree, but if you think it happens as often to white people as it does to blacks or hispanics you are nuts.

It depends on the location.