PDA

View Full Version : OT: To all Doctors, Should Pain Help

Ray Finkle
07-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Alright, I am positive I've at least partially torn my rotator cuff.

I don't have the intense pain when I press on the joints of my shoulder but cannot raise my arm parallel to the floor or reach behind me without stabbing pain.

Don't see the doctor until Monday, besides rest, ice, and anti-inflamatories, is there anything else I can do?

Captain 'Dre
07-06-2012, 07:05 AM

I don't have the intense pain when I press on the joints of my shoulder but cannot raise my arm parallel to the floor or reach behind me without stabbing pain.

Don't see the doctor until Monday, besides rest, ice, and anti-inflamatories, is there anything else I can do?

No, there's not.

I tore mine a number of years ago, and if I made my living throwing a baseball, I'd have to have major surgery to correct it.

But since I DON'T make my living throwing a baseball, it's something i just live with. It's healed to the point where my shoulder doesn't hurt until I throw a baseball or a football without a lot of gradual warm up. After that, I can throw at about 50% full effort with only minor discomfort. If I throw any harder than that, it's REAL painful.

Depending how how much you have to use your shoulder in the course of daily life, you may very well be able to get by without surgery. And since the surgery is no picnic, that can be a very good thing.

Ray Finkle
07-06-2012, 07:18 AM
No, there's not.

I tore mine a number of years ago, and if I made my living throwing a baseball, I'd have to have major surgery to correct it.

But since I DON'T make my living throwing a baseball, it's something i just live with. It's healed to the point where my shoulder doesn't hurt until I throw a baseball or a football without a lot of gradual warm up. After that, I can throw at about 50% full effort with only minor discomfort. If I throw any harder than that, it's REAL painful.

Depending how how much you have to use your shoulder in the course of daily life, you may very well be able to get by without surgery. And since the surgery is no picnic, that can be a very good thing.

Thanks, I am hoping to avoid any surgery.

DBroncos4life
07-06-2012, 07:31 AM
My left shoulder has been torn since I was 18. The only time I really worry about it is if I'm drinking or every now and again when I'm reaching behind me. Over time you learn what you can do so it doesn't dislocate your shoulder. I have a dead nerve in my deltoid too so that might not help me either.

baja
07-06-2012, 07:33 AM

Stop masturbating

Seriously apply DMSO. It's a miracle substance.

http://www.dmso.com/

Requiem
07-06-2012, 07:37 AM
I got a Plantars Wart developing on my foot near the top next to my ring toe. I have thought about using a saw to cut off my foot. What else can I do?

Ray Finkle
07-06-2012, 07:43 AM
I got a Plantars Wart developing on my foot near the top next to my ring toe. I have thought about using a saw to cut off my foot. What else can I do?

get the planters wart remove with 40% acid content. That will remove it quickly. Or you can try the duct tape method. Both work.

Anikai
07-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Otter Pops- Wont make the pain go away but they sure are fun.

Boobs McGee
07-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Tussin.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-06-2012, 08:02 AM

Freeze off from Walgreens. It's fun and could also freeze a lurking mole too. Package says to avoid doing that but I tried it and froze one right off my leg. Thought about saving it in a jar.

As for the shoulder, try not to think about it all weekend, cause that can intensify the pain even more.

Captain 'Dre
07-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Stop masturbating

Seriously apply DMSO. It's a miracle substance.

http://www.dmso.com/

Be forewarned: DMSO will give you TERRIBLE breath and body odor. ugh!~

Captain 'Dre
07-06-2012, 08:07 AM
get the planters wart remove with 40% acid content. That will remove it quickly. Or you can try the duct tape method. Both work.

The... "duct tape method"? ???

Is that a similar technique to the one that some guys use to remove chest hair?!? ugh!~

Ray Finkle
07-06-2012, 08:20 AM

Is that a similar technique to the one that some guys use to remove chest hair?!? ugh!~

cover the plantar wart with duct tape. The longer you can keep it on, the better. Once the tape is removed, soak your foot and then take an emery board and sand down the wart. Dry and repeat. The duct tape suffocates the wart.

TonyR
07-06-2012, 08:23 AM

How'd you injure it, do you know? I've been doing a lot of pushups lately and my shoulders have been starting to hurt more and more. Has me worried...

55CrushEm
07-06-2012, 08:28 AM

It's also good for removing botfly larvae......

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/23eimVLAQ2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bronco militia
07-06-2012, 08:28 AM

quit pissing in the shower

Ray Finkle
07-06-2012, 08:33 AM
How'd you injure it, do you know? I've been doing a lot of pushups lately and my shoulders have been starting to hurt more and more. Has me worried...

Step one was picking up my youngest on the stairs with arm and swing her up to my shoulder.

Step two was playing in a game last night, playing defense, I got my elbow jammed back into my body and it jarred my shoulder.

Kaylore
07-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Stop masturbating

You're not the boss of me!!!!

(that was what the rep was supposed to say, Baja)

baja
07-06-2012, 09:00 AM
You're not the boss of me!!!!

(that was what the rep was supposed to say, Baja)

LOL

I was trying to figure that out for the let five minutes.

Chris
07-06-2012, 09:01 AM
I concur....

Archer81
07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Had a wart once on the middle joint of my middle finger on my right hand. Covered that bitch with a bandaid, then a strip of ductape. Kept it on for 2 weeks. Wart gone, and has never returned.

Never tore anything as far as joints or tendons go, but I did dislocate my shoulder a long ass time ago. Still twinges once and awhile.

But if it hurts that bad, I can always kneecap you. Take your mind off of your rotator cuff, OP.

:Broncos:

Requiem
07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
quit pissing in the shower

You are a genius. This probably is what happened. I've just been going Butters Stoch in the shower for about 3 days now.

bronco militia
07-06-2012, 09:51 AM
You are a genius. This probably is what happened. I've just been going Butters Stoch in the shower for about 3 days now.

:~ohyah!:

who knew

broncosteven
07-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Could be tendinitis or bursitis especially if it happened over a couple days.

The bold is about all you can do at this point. If it is not torn you will likely need PT to fix but getting the swelling down at this point is crucial.

Shoulder pain is no fun. I miss being able to throw the ball around with the kids. Which is why I am promoting soccer big time to them.

ICE it up for as long as you can stand it then do it again and again etc...

Requiem
07-06-2012, 09:54 AM
:~ohyah!:

who knew

Do you think that coulda been the culprit? Be 4 reals with me brother!!!

bronco militia
07-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Do you think that coulda been the culprit? Be 4 reals with me brother!!!

HPV...you ****ed some skank with your foot again

underrated29
07-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Right there with ya capn dre

My right shoulder is wrecked, tore it when I was 21, 7 years later it still hurts like a bitch. I can only throw a baseball or football at about 60% without it hurting. If I go harder than that it hurts and hurts and hurts the next few days.

My shoulder also clicks when I use it to much and i can feel it like grinding inside. It hasnt slowed me down too much in hockey though. My wrist shot is less powerful and I cant do a slap shot anymore...But Its ok because I have increased my snap shot so much more to offset it.

kappys
07-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Just be certain you keep your shoulder loose - use your other hand or a wall to gradually move your arm up through its full range of motion

The last thing you want is to add adhesive capsulitis(frozen shoulder) to your rotator cuff injury. As long as you don't have any resistance moving the arm through its full range of motion at least a few times a day is very helpful

Ray Finkle
07-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Just be certain you keep your shoulder loose - use your other hand or a wall to gradually move your arm up through its full range of motion

The last thing you want is to add adhesive capsulitis(frozen shoulder) to your rotator cuff injury. As long as you don't have any resistance moving the arm through its full range of motion at least a few times a day is very helpful

thanks, as the day moves on, the pain lessens. This the #1 reason I do not think I have a complete tear.

ghwk
07-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Both hurt like hell. Drink heavily.

broncocalijohn
07-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Move to Myrtle Beach. Old problems disappear but new ones seem to pop up. Might be a cure and a death sentence all in one.

baja
07-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Walk on your hands for a week - problem solved

Captain 'Dre
07-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Right there with ya capn dre

My right shoulder is wrecked, tore it when I was 21, 7 years later it still hurts like a b****. I can only throw a baseball or football at about 60% without it hurting. If I go harder than that it hurts and hurts and hurts the next few days.

My shoulder also clicks when I use it to much and i can feel it like grinding inside. It hasnt slowed me down too much in hockey though. My wrist shot is less powerful and I cant do a slap shot anymore...But Its ok because I have increased my snap shot so much more to offset it.

Think maybe your shoulder and mine were separated at birth? :yayaya:

Dr. Broncenstein
07-06-2012, 07:26 PM

Lol I still remember the first time I watched a shoulder manipulation under anesthesia. Brutal.

SoCalBronco
07-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Very sorry to hear about this, Finkle. Hopefully the diagnosis is not too bad. :(

Ray Finkle
07-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Torn Labrum, got off with only PT!

WOO HOO and screw you rotator cuff!

broncosteven
07-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Torn Labrum, got off with only PT!

WOO HOO and screw you rotator cuff!

Prepare yourself for the foam roll crucifix.

Ray Finkle
07-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Prepare yourself for the foam roll crucifix.

that does not sound fun at all....I'll find it's glory tomorrow.

Anikai
07-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Yesterday I was throwing the football and after about 10 minutes or so my shoulder down through my triceps down to my elbow became really sore...I'm pretty active and have a rocket lazer arm..I've been playing in summer baseball leagues and playing catch with the nephews etc....after I stopped throwing the ball my elbow friggin hurt for hours, feels fine today but I haven't warmed up the cannon today...it happened last year also, I threw left handed and played first base for the rest of the summer.....the same feeling in the elbow. Anyone know wtf i did? I got CP

Ray Finkle
07-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Yesterday I was throwing the football and after about 10 minutes or so my shoulder down through my triceps down to my elbow became really sore...I'm pretty active and have a rocket lazer arm..I've been playing in summer baseball leagues and playing catch with the nephews etc....after I stopped throwing the ball my elbow friggin hurt for hours, feels fine today but I haven't warmed up the cannon today...it happened last year also, I threw left handed and played first base for the rest of the summer.....the same feeling in the elbow. Anyone know wtf i did? I got CP

Any swelling? I'd bet you've sprained something in your elbow.

Anikai
07-11-2012, 04:15 PM
no swelling at all. just pain

Ray Finkle
07-12-2012, 05:08 AM
no swelling at all. just pain

you may want to get it checked out...

ol#7
07-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Ray, I tore my labrum in H.S. and 20+ years later still living with it. Almost had surgery but have seen alot of them go bad and guys losing mobility. Now it is getting worse as I get older and I may be getting some arthritis in the joint. But I kept agravating it over the years in the Army and playing sports, especially throwing a football.

Take the PT seriously. I almost got it to 100% once or twice early on with all the popping/grinding gone, then I sloughed off because it would aggravate it and was a PITA, but it was getting alot better. None of the PT since has come close to that level, so I have probably done new damage at various points.

Also had cortisone shots with mixed results, but was told I can't get anymore without it damaging the joint.

Best of luck, I am still glad I have avoided the surgery!

Ray Finkle
07-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Ray, I tore my labrum in H.S. and 20+ years later still living with it. Almost had surgery but have seen alot of them go bad and guys losing mobility. Now it is getting worse as I get older and I may be getting some arthritis in the joint. But I kept agravating it over the years in the Army and playing sports, especially throwing a football.

Take the PT seriously. I almost got it to 100% once or twice early on with all the popping/grinding gone, then I sloughed off because it would aggravate it and was a PITA, but it was getting alot better. None of the PT since has come close to that level, so I have probably done new damage at various points.

Also had cortisone shots with mixed results, but was told I can't get anymore without it damaging the joint.

Best of luck, I am still glad I have avoided the surgery!

Thanks, the PT makes it feel twice as sore but so much better.