PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network's Michael Lombardi fully expects Peyton Manning to struggle in the firs

Bronco Rob
07-05-2012, 12:46 PM
NFL Network's Michael Lombardi fully expects Peyton Manning (neck surgeries) to struggle in the first quarter of the season after sitting out all of last year.

Anyone expecting Manning to be on fire in September does not understand how hard it is to adjust (and re-adjust) to being back on the football field," emphasized Lombardi. "The Manning project in Denver will take time -- time for him to adjust to his new teammates, time for him to adjust to the speed of the game and time for him to adjust to getting hit again. No one -- not fans, not staff, not Manning himself -- will know if No. 18 is back to his old form until the middle of October, no matter what transpires before."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=1493&line=235548&spln=1

Beantown Bronco
07-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Tom Brady's first 6 games of 2009 after missing the 2008 season:

1724 yds
12 TDs
2 INTs
QB rating of 98

broncosteven
07-05-2012, 01:08 PM
I think PM will have more trouble adjusting to his new Receivers. He no longer has Wayne or Clarke.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-05-2012, 01:08 PM
This is just vague smelly bologna. Probably said the same thing when Brady missed a year.

SportinOne
07-05-2012, 01:15 PM

1724 yds
12 TDs
2 INTs
QB rating of 98

So, without adjusting for defensive rankings, based on the degree of how much better Peyton is than Brady, we can expect about 3400 yards, 24 touchdowns, 1 int, and a QB rating of almost 200.

God damn, it is good to have Peyton Manning.

Chris
07-05-2012, 01:24 PM
So, without adjusting for defensive rankings, based on the degree of how much better Peyton is than Brady, we can expect about 3400 yards, 24 touchdowns, 1 int, and a QB rating of almost 200.

You sir, are a scientist.

BroncoSojia
07-05-2012, 01:25 PM

1724 yds
12 TDs
2 INTs
QB rating of 98

....Except he wasn't suffering from serious lingering neck issues, wasn't 36, and wasn't playing with a different team in a relatively different system.

bronco militia
07-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Lombardi=Mrs. Cleo

there is no film on the Broncos with Peyton Manning at QB. I expect the Broncos to start off fast and then fall back to the pack by the end of the season.....

Beantown Bronco
07-05-2012, 01:41 PM
....Except he wasn't suffering from serious lingering neck issues, wasn't 36, and wasn't playing with a different team in a relatively different system.

Neck issues? I'd rather Manning's "neck issues" than a QB who has to wear an awkward knee brace and is gun shy about stepping into throws when the pocket is collapsing around him, for fear of busting his knee again.

Kaylore
07-05-2012, 01:47 PM
I expect some growing pains, for sure. The offense has a lot of new parts. The TE's, new running backs, and obviously going from a 1930's throwback man-warrior to a cerebral pocket-passing surgeon. There are going to be some things to iron out as the offense looks for it's identity. That said, while I expect some miss-fires and some communication break-downs, I do expect we'll be a lot better than last year on offense. I mean a LOT better. And I believe by the end of the season we'll have a better feel for what the Broncos will look like on offense.

jerseyboiler120
07-05-2012, 01:58 PM
I think we're gonna surprise a lot of people. Manning's got a chip on his shoulder about the bonus irsay cut him to save (not so much that he needed the money but he made the indy colts matter). And just imagine what DT can do now that he's actually gonna learn a few routes!

GreatBronco16
07-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Well way to go out on a limb there. Is he going to be rusty? Is he going to struggle a little being that he is with a new team and new players? More than likely. Ok, way to go out on a limb though.

fdf
07-05-2012, 02:12 PM
NFL Network's Michael Lombardi fully expects Peyton Manning (neck surgeries) to struggle in the first quarter of the season after sitting out all of last year.

That's bad. He doesn't just expect it. He "fully" expects it.

broncocalijohn
07-05-2012, 02:46 PM

You sir, are a scientist.

especially when the highest rating for a QB is 158.3.

Cmac821
07-05-2012, 03:36 PM

I don't think you can say Manning is that much better than Brady

errand
07-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Don't be surprised if Peyton wins another MVP this season......

Captain 'Dre
07-05-2012, 04:26 PM

Stop confusing the matter with facts! :sunshine:

Captain 'Dre
07-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Neck issues? I'd rather Manning's "neck issues" than a QB who has to wear an awkward knee brace and is gun shy about stepping into throws when the pocket is collapsing around him, for fear of busting his knee again.

Yeah... I'd be much more concerned about risking my knee, and maybe having difficulty walking again, than I would be about risking my neck and possibly spending the rest of my life in a wheelchair. :yayaya:

Captain 'Dre
07-05-2012, 04:29 PM
IAnd I believe by the end of the season we'll have a better feel for what the Broncos will look like on offense.

???

By the end of the season, how could we NOT have a better feel for what the Broncos will look like on offense?!?

errand
07-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Stop confusing the matter with facts! :sunshine:

First off his neck isn't a "lingering" issue....the nerves in his arm were a bigger concern....and he seems to be ahead of schedule in his gaining arm strength by almost every account. Doctors have cleared him and his neck....

As for the new system, from most accounts the staff is implementing alot of plays he's comfortable with...and that, coupled with allegedly a better running game than he's ever had before should help him a lot this season.

Toss in that he's just as hard a worker as anyone else in the NFL...and is a driven person...I think he'll have a very good to great season like always.

errand
07-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Yeah... I'd be much more concerned about risking my knee, and maybe having difficulty walking again, than I would be about risking my neck and possibly spending the rest of my life in a wheelchair. :yayaya:

Isn't every player one good hit away from being in a wheelchair for the rest of their life?

broncosteven
07-05-2012, 05:34 PM
I expect some growing pains, for sure. The offense has a lot of new parts. The TE's, new running backs, and obviously going from a 1930's throwback man-warrior to a cerebral pocket-passing surgeon. There are going to be some things to iron out as the offense looks for it's identity. That said, while I expect some miss-fires and some communication break-downs, I do expect we'll be a lot better than last year on offense. I mean a LOT better. And I believe by the end of the season we'll have a better feel for what the Broncos will look like on offense.

So this means the end of the 2-7 for 20 yards at half time games?

oubronco
07-05-2012, 05:55 PM
His head is going to fall off when he takes the field........Oh No!!!

cutthemdown
07-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Broncos offense will be slightly above average even with a struggling Manning. He really is that good and people have just sort of forgotten i guess. For him 225 yrds a couple of tds are childs play. We would have been happy to get that last yr. Where we are going to win games is our defense. Its going to be a whole lot better then people think.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-05-2012, 06:03 PM

He didnt break his neck

cutthemdown
07-05-2012, 06:05 PM
My biggest concern is our interior oline, not our QB. But if the interior oline stinks it could be really bad for Manning. If Kuper not back 100% we could be in real sad shape their IMO.

Also I wish people would stop with the Manning should worry about one hit to the neck paralyzing him. He has no more risk of that then any QB or player. His problem was a pinched nerve people, not some big structural problem with his neck. How can people not understand that after reading all the reports?

cutthemdown
07-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Isn't every player one good hit away from being in a wheelchair for the rest of their life?

In actuality out of the 1000's of hits a yr, how many get put in a wheel chair? Not one QB ever that I can think of. Its usually a lineman from my recollection. Manning may just have nerve start acting up and his arm may go noodle. That is the concern, not that he will get paralyzed. That is silly to even mention.

Garcia Bronco
07-05-2012, 06:22 PM
I am keeping my expectations low for the first half of the season.

errand
07-05-2012, 06:29 PM
In actuality out of the 1000's of hits a yr, how many get put in a wheel chair? Not one QB ever that I can think of. Its usually a lineman from my recollection. Manning may just have nerve start acting up and his arm may go noodle. That is the concern, not that he will get paralyzed. That is silly to even mention.

I agree....btw, I didn't mention it....Captain Dre did.

I was pointing how how silly it was for him to think that Manning would end up in a wheelchair

cutthemdown
07-05-2012, 06:33 PM
If Manning had signed with the Niners I bet Lombardi would sing a different tune.

cutthemdown
07-05-2012, 06:35 PM
I agree....btw, I didn't mention it....Captain Dre did.

I was pointing how how silly it was for him to think that Manning would end up in a wheelchair

yeah i was agreeing with you, guess it looked like i was correcting you.

errand
07-05-2012, 06:41 PM
yeah i was agreeing with you, guess it looked like i was correcting you.

No problem man....it's all good.

Tombstone RJ
07-05-2012, 07:16 PM
If Manning had signed with the Niners I bet Lombardi would sing a different tune.

this. If Manning had signed with the niners everyone would be talking about a new niner dynasty.

Bacchus
07-05-2012, 07:31 PM
The City of Pittsburgh will soon enough feel the full force of Denver's wrath.

http://mail.colonial.net/~hkaiter/Aaa_web_images2012/tsunami-in-japan-images1.jpg

Broncobiv
07-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I think some people in this thread need to read this article again:

http://broncosreport.com/2012/06/01/setting-the-record-straight-peyton-mannings-neck-injury/

Quick excerpt:

Manning underwent several procedures to alleviate the pressure on the damaged nerve, which was causing weakness in his throwing arm. When those failed to fix the problem, Manning’s surgeon, Dr. Robert Watkins, suggested a new course of action. The troublesome soft disk tissue between two vertebrae, which was pinching the nerve, would be removed. As a result, the vertebrae would be fused together. Nerves, it turns out, are quite delicate and take far longer to heal than some of those other injuries like broken bones or torn ligaments. After the fusion healed (usually 4-6 months), Manning still had to wait for the nerve to regenerate. That process, it turned out, took the entire 2011 NFL season. Dr. Watkins announced on February 2, 2011 that he had cleared Manning to play football again.

Peyton's spine is fine. His neck is fine. It was a nerve issue which has now regenerated. Peyton is no more at risk for a neck injury than any other QB in the NFL right now.

maher_tyler
07-06-2012, 07:06 AM
I think we're gonna surprise a lot of people. Manning's got a chip on his shoulder about the bonus irsay cut him to save (not so much that he needed the money but he made the indy colts matter). And just imagine what DT can do now that he's actually gonna learn a few routes!

Not to mention little brother has one more ring...

Hamrob
07-06-2012, 10:25 AM
My thoughts:

If we can run the ball......Peyton Manning is going to light it up.
If our Oline can open holes for average RB's, then, Manning will throw for 35+ TD's this season.

If not, then he will struggle.

errand
07-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Still find it amazing that some Bronco fans have a problem with looking at the depth chart and seeing

QB - Peyton Manning

Agamemnon
07-06-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm much more concerned about our defense honestly. I mean I do think Manning will struggle to play at his old level of play right out of the gate, but if and when we lose games I think it's going to have more to do with the fact that we are as soft as butter in the middle of our defense.

Captain 'Dre
07-09-2012, 06:28 AM

Yes, and with pre-existing conditions, some are even MORE vulnerable than others.

Rut
07-09-2012, 06:45 AM
Of course there is some doubt as to how Manning will do after a long spell out of the game.

However - I trust those in the Broncos organization who made the choice to sign him. They wouldn't have taken him if they thought he couldn't do the biz.

Obviously he now has different receivers. The receivers also have a different QB. This is not exactly the first time this has ever happened in the NFL and they do have things called meetings & practice sessions...

I can't wait to actually have Manning playing FOR us - not against us. Going to be very strange seeing it.

TheChamp24
07-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Still find it amazing that some Bronco fans have a problem with looking at the depth chart and seeing

QB - Peyton Manning

Seriously, 2-3 years ago, did ANYBODY see even a remote chance we would have Manning be our QB?

barryr
07-09-2012, 08:16 AM
I would be surprised if Manning and the offense didn't have some problems to begin the year. Expecting a well oiled machine right off the bat is a bit unrealistic IMO.

DENVERDUI55
07-09-2012, 09:59 AM
While I wouldn't be surprised to see the offense take a few weeks to gel I doubt it will be Manning. Nobody prepares harder and expects a high level of performance like PM.

NFLBRONCO
07-09-2012, 11:15 AM

So true

let's be fair though the niners are alot better then we are right now.

errand
07-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Seriously, 2-3 years ago, did ANYBODY see even a remote chance we would have Manning be our QB?

Well I remember in 1983 nobody thought Elway would be playing for us either.....

Regardless of whether or not they had reason to believe he'd be a Bronco...how can anyone outside of those whackjob Tebow fans like MacGruber and Beavis not support this signing?

Taco John
07-09-2012, 01:42 PM
I expect Peyton Manning to win the Superbowl in his first week or this whole thing is an unmitigated failure.

Broncos dude
07-09-2012, 01:54 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=1493&line=235548&spln=1

I agree. Peyton is great , but that offense the colts had was not explosive till his 3rd or 4th year. I hope Im very wrong

Bacchus
07-09-2012, 04:29 PM
So true

let's be fair though the niners are alot better then we are right now.

The niners with ALex are better than Denver with Manning?? I do not tink so.

NFLBRONCO
07-09-2012, 07:39 PM
The niners with ALex are better than Denver with Manning?? I do not tink so.

Umm supporting cast NO.

Missouribronc
07-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Yes, and with pre-existing conditions, some are even MORE vulnerable than others.

You are stupid.

There's really no way around it.

Anyone who is really dumb enough to not like the Manning signing is really a complete idiot.

Broncos4Life
07-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Broncos offense will be slightly above average even with a struggling Manning. He really is that good and people have just sort of forgotten i guess. For him 225 yrds a couple of tds are childs play. We would have been happy to get that last yr. Where we are going to win games is our defense. Its going to be a whole lot better then people think.

I think this guy is on to something......

Some people are gonna sleep on this. People here, people in the media.....
This D has a whole new swagger to it. I'm not saying a guy changes or inspires his team...cough...Tebow.....but you can just tell in interviews when you see the defensive guys talk about how it feels to have a guy like Manning leading the team. A guy that will put up points if you get him the ball back.

Not saying our guys didn't have attitude last year, but this year could be one of the best years for our defense in about 6/7 yrs.

Jason in LA
07-10-2012, 08:55 AM

1724 yds
12 TDs
2 INTs
QB rating of 98

That pretty much kills Lombardi's theory!

baja
07-10-2012, 08:58 AM
That pretty much kills Lombardi's theory!

Brady was on the same team and he wasn't 36.

lonestar
07-10-2012, 09:19 AM

I suspect that most of the O will be misfires from time to time. Because everyone is trying to get to know each other. Manning kicked ass for decades because his wr's were on the same wave length a wink or nod and they knew what was coming.

It is going to take some time to develop that trust this year. Not to mention the kiddies are going to have to learn to run precise routes unlike the past half a decade. That will also take some time to do.

Hopefully by the bye week we will start to see it clicking more and more each week after that.

Beantown Bronco
07-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Same team, but different offensive coaching staff. McD left him after being there his whole career. The offense did change somewhat.

2KBack
07-10-2012, 11:42 AM
I agree. Peyton is great , but that offense the colts had was not explosive till his 3rd or 4th year. I hope Im very wrong

Well you are off to a good start. Indy was #3 in the NFL in points in his second season and was top five in every season but 3 for the rest of his career there

errand
07-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Colts two seasons without Peyton Manning they were a combined 3-29.....this alone explains how great this Qb is

DENVERDUI55
07-10-2012, 12:29 PM
If the likes of A Gonzalez, J Pathon, A Follies, Blair White were able to pick up the system so can our WR. The offense will be simple really.

Bob's your Information Minister
07-10-2012, 12:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QmydS.jpg

Rabb
07-10-2012, 12:33 PM
If the likes of A Gonzalez, J Pathon, A Follies, Blair White were able to pick up the system so can our WR. The offense will be simple really.

I am actually not worried about our skill players, it's how our line adapts.