PDA

View Full Version : How Walmart Destroyed America and Built China

Rohirrim
07-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Walmart's explosive growth has gutted two key pillars of the American middle class: small businesses and well-paying manufacturing jobs.

Between 2001 and 2007, some 40,000 U.S. factories closed, eliminating millions of jobs. While Walmart's ceaseless search for lower costs wasn't the only factor that drove production overseas, it was a major one. During these six years, Walmart's imports from China tripled in value from $9 billion to $27 billion.

Small, family-owned retail businesses likewise closed in droves as Walmart grew. Between 1992 and 2007, the number of independent retailers fell by over 60,000, according to the U.S. Census.

Their demise triggered a cascade of losses elsewhere. As communities lost their local retailers, there was less demand for services like accounting and graphic design, less advertising revenue for local media outlets, and fewer accounts for local banks. As Walmart moved into communities, the volume of money circulating from business to business declined. More dollars flowed into Walmart's tills and out of the local economy. http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/07/02-7#.T_Hp5AvKo0w.facebook

Requiem
07-05-2012, 12:42 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/Yotehammer/walmartBingo.jpg

Pony Boy
07-05-2012, 12:51 PM
You can go to WalMart.com and order any set tires you want at a bargain price, not just the ones they carry at the store. WalMart will deliver them to the nearest store with no delivery charge and also mount them for free.

Awesome ..... is this a great country or what?

gyldenlove
07-05-2012, 01:28 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/Yotehammer/walmartBingo.jpg

I almost had the right hand column, the tear-drop tattoo has so far eluded me.

Blart
07-05-2012, 01:42 PM
You can go to WalMart.com and order any set tires you want at a bargain price, not just the ones they carry at the store. WalMart will deliver them to the nearest store with no delivery charge and also mount them for free.

Yes and nothing bad can come from buying everything at a bargain price. Just close your eyes and consume!

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Between 2001 and 2007, some 40,000 U.S. factories closed, eliminating millions of jobs. While Walmart's ceaseless search for lower costs wasn't the only factor that drove production overseas, it was a major one. During these six years, Walmart's imports from China tripled in value from $9 billion to $27 billion.

China loves them some Dubya.

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/417499_10151083552731125_1195283218_n.jpg

Fedaykin
07-05-2012, 02:34 PM

And the vast majority of the money in that transaction goes to two destinations: The Walton Family, and China. Almost nothing is returned to the community.

It's a completely short sighted, unsustainable arrangement. I'll gladly pay a bit more for my goods if it helps keep people employed. The cheapest available prices are pointless if no one has a job anyway.

Garcia Bronco
07-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Adapt or die. That's a science for some of you people.

55CrushEm
07-05-2012, 02:40 PM
And the vast majority of the money in that transaction goes to two destinations: The Walton Family, and China. Almost nothing is returned to the community.

It's a completely short sighted, unsustainable arrangement. I'll gladly pay a bit more for my goods if it helps keep people employed. The cheapest available prices are pointless if no one has a job anyway.

Yeah, cause Walmart doesn't employ anyone.

::)

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-05-2012, 02:44 PM

If you want to call it "employment..."

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg594/scaled.php?server=594&filename=walton.jpg&res=landing

Pony Boy
07-05-2012, 03:12 PM

Not really the cost to deliver the goods and stock the shelves employs a lot of people nation wide ............ It's probably Spider that drives the truck that delivers my tires to Walmart now do you want to take food off his table?

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Not really the cost to deliver the goods and stock the shelves employs a lot of people nation wide ............ It's probably Spider that drives the truck that delivers my tires to Walmart now do you want to take food off his table?

Meanwhile, here in reality, half of Sprawl-Mart's employees are eligible for food stamps, and anti-tax Teapublicans like you are apparently happy to foot the bill for them.

Pony Boy
07-05-2012, 03:20 PM
The bottom line for Wal-Mart is low prices. It lures shoppers more concerned with saving money now than they have been in over a decade. Wal-Mart's advantage is they are able get products that most Americans need from a manufacturer into a customer's trunk cheaper than any other retailer.

Pony Boy
07-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Meanwhile, here in reality, half of Sprawl-Mart's employees are eligible for food stamps, and anti-tax Teapublicans like you are apparently happy to foot the bill for them.

And the beauty of Wal-Mart's success is they probably also get most of the food stamps run back through their stores because the recipients know where to get the most value for our tax dollars we are handing to them for free.

55CrushEm
07-05-2012, 03:31 PM
The bottom line for Wal-Mart is low prices. It lures shoppers more concerned with saving money now than they have been in over a decade. Wal-Mart's advantage is they are able get products that most Americans need from a manufacturer into a customer's trunk cheaper than any other retailer.

Yup. And never mind the fact that the money people save here and other places, is more money that they can spend elsewhere to....gasp....support ANOTHER business.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Yup. And never mind the fact that the money people save here and other places, is more money that they can spend elsewhere to....gasp....support ANOTHER business.

Thanks to Sprawl-Mart, that "other business" barely exists.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-05-2012, 03:43 PM
And the beauty of Wal-Mart's success is they probably also get most of the food stamps run back through their stores because the recipients know where to get the most value for our tax dollars we are handing to them for free.

A Teapublican calling taxpayer-funded entitlements a thing of beauty?

You are one confused little man. :crazy:

Fedaykin
07-05-2012, 03:50 PM

They certainly employee people -- generally with much lower pay and benefits than the other businesses that compete with Wal-Mart.

Every place Wal-Mart sets up shop, it drains the money out of the local economy. It's a great business model to make profits for the Walton Family, but terrible otherwise.

Wal-Mart is not the only corp that does it, it's just the biggest.

Fedaykin
07-05-2012, 03:52 PM

Nope, but then again if you buy your tires for a local place they have to get them delivered too. The difference is the money that local business owner makes off your purchase is much more likely to stay in the local economy, not go to Little Rock and China.

Fedaykin
07-05-2012, 03:55 PM

.. due in large part to taking advantage of the local community (tax breaks, exploitative labor practices, etc.). No thanks, I'll pay 1.50 instead of 1.45 for my shampoo to make sure the people working to get that shampoo to me are treated decently and to make sure I'm not royally screwing over my local community by participating in the subsidization of Wal-Mart's profits.

DenverBrit
07-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Without Wal-Mart, where would the 'GOP' shop?

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ghrDIQ-K8mg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-05-2012, 04:01 PM
.. due in large part to taking advantage of the local community (tax breaks, exploitative labor practices, etc.). No thanks, I'll pay 1.50 instead of 1.45 for my shampoo to make sure the people working to get that shampoo to me are treated decently and to make sure I'm not royally screwing over my local community by participating in the subsidization of Wal-Mart's profits.

+1.

Good man.

Too bad you're trying to appeal to a non-existent social conscience.

For the typical regressive neo-feudalist Teatard, "I got mine - screw everybody else" is the only ethic.

ant1999e
07-05-2012, 04:41 PM

Come on, the GOP are a bunch of rich people. Everyone knows that only poor people shop at Wal-mart.

ant1999e
07-05-2012, 04:44 PM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ghrDIQ-K8mg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WTF is wrong with people???

BroncoBeavis
07-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Nope, but then again if you buy your tires for a local place they have to get them delivered too. The difference is the money that local business owner makes off your purchase is much more likely to stay in the local economy, not go to Little Rock and China.

The net benefit depends on the cost saving involved. Let's say your local tire shop makes $100 on that set of tires they sell you. Or alternatively you can save $100 on them @ Walmart.

Whether that $100 goes to your local tire store, or stays in your pocket, that money stays in the community. There are limits to how much of a "buy local" premium makes sense. In some situations it's counterproductive.

Although I've never found that to be the case on tires. Once you factor in the installation and service, I've never found wally world to be that great a deal when it comes to tires.

Pony Boy
07-05-2012, 07:24 PM

That's bull-crap, the money the local owner makes he spends on groceries at WalMart.

orinjkrush
07-05-2012, 07:25 PM
trying to make your ever decreasing purchasing power go further is not a sign of trashiness. its a sign of the devolution of the middle class (economically, intellectually and politically).

soon, we'll all be working and shopping here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8zNsUTWsOc

Pony Boy
07-05-2012, 07:27 PM

I would be willing to bet that everyone in this video (if they voted) voted for Obama and they are all on pubic assistance.

cutthemdown
07-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Great now Fed and all his liberal friends want inflation. They want things to cost more so people will have more money. Do you ever feel like they are completely crazy. Lets make things cost more so we will have more money. Hmmmm. Genius.

DenverBrit
07-05-2012, 08:11 PM
I would be willing to bet that everyone in this video (if they voted) voted for Obama and they are all on pubic assistance.

Ok, what's the bet and how will you prove your case? :P

Arkie
07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
I have a lot of respect for Sam Walton. His rich kids just rode the coattails.

Fedaykin
07-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Great now Fed and all his liberal friends want inflation. They want things to cost more so people will have more money. Do you ever feel like they are completely crazy. Lets make things cost more so we will have more money. Hmmmm. Genius.

Clearly you don't understand what inflation is. No one here has said a damn thing about wanting inflation. It's hilarious how often you jump into a conversation when it's clear that conversation is way over your head.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-05-2012, 11:39 PM

Actually, the red states suck up more government aid than the blue states, but when have you ever let facts get in your way?

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/524252_328154227267803_686374054_n.jpg

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Clearly you don't understand what inflation is. No one here has said a damn thing about wanting inflation. It's hilarious how often you jump into a conversation when it's clear that conversation is way over your head.

That would include just about every conversation that takes place on this board.

Ha!

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/539790_442991679056036_1158404269_n.jpg

Requiem
07-06-2012, 07:11 AM
I do my best to stay away from Wal-Mart, but did end up getting some food and supplies for my lake adventure out there just because comparatively, the costs were much lower. I felt bad giving them 50 bucks, but oh well. Ever since they came to my home town, they have pretty much destroyed all the other competition. . . like everything. Nobody shops at the local stores anymore. It is really sad.

55CrushEm
07-06-2012, 08:21 AM
I do my best to stay away from Wal-Mart, but did end up getting some food and supplies for my lake adventure out there just because comparatively, the costs were much lower. I felt bad giving them 50 bucks, but oh well. Ever since they came to my home town, they have pretty much destroyed all the other competition. . . like everything. Nobody shops at the local stores anymore. It is really sad.

Well, if you really WANT to......with the money you saved at Walmart, you could just go around to those other stores and donate it to them....if your guilt is that overwhelming.

OR you could accumulate your savings and "reinvest" it into the economy by buying something else or take your family on vacation.....

barryr
07-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Liberals don't like Walmart simply because they aren't unionized. Oh no, they have lower costs and pretty cheap prices on medicines too. The horrors.

Rohirrim
07-06-2012, 08:55 AM
America, like any great country, is based on the strength of its communities. Walmart destroys communities. Like the article says, all those small businesses that Walmart wipes out in a community are the foundations of local, small banks and credit unions, and all the countless, local benevolent organizations that exist (like the Lions Club, etc.), not to mention local sports and youth leagues, local politics, etc etc. And we're not talking about all the small manufacturers that Walmart has wiped out all across this country and replaced with Chinese trash imports. Walmart is a cancer, and the right wingers celebrate the disease because they will always choose ideology over country.

Requiem
07-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Well, if you really WANT to......with the money you saved at Walmart, you could just go around to those other stores and donate it to them....if your guilt is that overwhelming.

OR you could accumulate your savings and "reinvest" it into the economy by buying something else or take your family on vacation.....

I don't need to donate it to them. I shop at the local grocery (even if it is overpriced) because I know the family there and they have been good to me for years. Even if I buy a lunch there, I will give a 20% tip of my bill for them giving a good conversation, putting on a ball game and all that stuff. Seriously the best bagel sammiches I've ever had.

When it comes to Wal-Mart, I don't hate them for not being unionized (like barryr has generalized and assumed, but that is all that half-wit is good for) -- I just don't like how they have destroyed the town's small businesses. I think at least four or five small ma and pa stores have went down the tube within the couple of years they have built here. Even the other two grocery stores (bigger ones) in town are ghostly most all days, because everyone is at Wal-Mart.

I do have the right to pick and choose where I shop, but it's blah. I have barely ever shopped at the store in my life and likely will continue not to support it. Just no reason to.

55CrushEm
07-06-2012, 09:20 AM
I don't need to donate it to them. I shop at the local grocery (even if it is overpriced) because I know the family there and they have been good to me for years. Even if I buy a lunch there, I will give a 20% tip of my bill for them giving a good conversation, putting on a ball game and all that stuff. Seriously the best bagel sammiches I've ever had.

When it comes to Wal-Mart, I don't hate them for not being unionized (like barryr has generalized and assumed, but that is all that half-wit is good for) -- I just don't like how they have destroyed the town's small businesses. I think at least four or five small ma and pa stores have went down the tube within the couple of years they have built here. Even the other two grocery stores (bigger ones) in town are ghostly most all days, because everyone is at Wal-Mart.

I do have the right to pick and choose where I shop, but it's blah. I have barely ever shopped at the store in my life and likely will continue not to support it. Just no reason to.

I hear you. I shop at local stores too. VALUE is a function of price AND quality.

I'll spend more on a product, if I think it's better quality AND it's quality that I "need". But if I'm buying IDENTICAL products, then naturally I'll buy it where I get the best price.

barryr
07-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Funny how Walmart is criticized for putting smaller companies out of business when democrats are the ones who have been raising taxes on companies and only the bigger ones, such as Walmart can afford to pay them. The small businesses are being driven out, not by that evil nonunion Walmart, but the rising costs that small businesses can't afford. Not to mention rising healthcare costs the smaller businesses can't afford either, but liberals won't understand that since not on Obama's, made in Canada, tour bus campaign issues.

Requiem
07-06-2012, 09:34 AM
I hear you. I shop at local stores too. VALUE is a function of price AND quality.

I'll spend more on a product, if I think it's better quality AND it's quality that I "need". But if I'm buying IDENTICAL products, then naturally I'll buy it where I get the best price.

I hear you. Thanks for the back and forth convo.

In reality, I am just not much of a consumer at all. I have been more focused on paying off debt (credit card and college) than buying things I really don't need. Fiat currency is worthless and I'm ridiculously against the way the current system is going. Paying off my debt quick will be better for me in the long run. I just don't like the albatross around my neck.

I cut up my credit card and don't get paper statements, so all I do is have a lump sum direct deposited for a payment each month, and if I can afford more, I just bury that **** down. My school loans, I just make the minimum payments (or pay off more in advance when applicable) because I haven't made the decision yet if I want to go back to school, so I am saving money for that just in case.

I will buy the basics and essentials, but in the last 5 years the only nice things I've bought myself were a MacAir and my PS3. I figured after two successful years of work post college, I finally could treat myself to something nice. As of late, I just became increasingly apathetic with the Millenial generation and how my fellow age group is approaching life. Everyone is living off credit and thinking mostly about themselves. I can't tell you how many stories I hear in work each day about people going to do this and that (and I know they can't afford it), but end up not being able to make their ends meet on the bill front. Would you rather make your bill payments or go and spend 300$ on summer clothes? People don't have priorities. It is sad to see a lot of my friends in a vicious cycle of poor financial management (which is often due to other problems, like substance abuse) which is seriously impacting their lives negatively. It even effects the greater good.

Now I'm just ranting. :~ohyah!:

DenverBrit
07-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Funny how Walmart is criticized for putting smaller companies out of business when democrats are the ones who have been raising taxes on companies and only the bigger ones, such as Walmart can afford to pay them. The small businesses are being driven out, not by that evil nonunion Walmart, but the rising costs that small businesses can't afford. Not to mention rising healthcare costs the smaller businesses can't afford either, but liberals won't understand that since not on Obama's, made in Canada, tour bus campaign issues.

Tell us about your small business experience. What type of business have you owned or operated??

Which tax increases affected your business operations and how did you plan around them?

Requiem
07-06-2012, 09:37 AM

Small businesses were doing fine with the tax rates in my town. It is no coincidence that once Wal-Mart came to town, the ma and pa stores we all knew and loved started vanishing. There is a connection. If you were in the forest, you couldn't see the trees.

Tell us about your small business experience. What type of business have you owned or operated??

Which tax increases affected your business operations and how did you plan around them?

He doesn't know a damn thing about business or anything of substance discussed on this forum. He is generalization making troll with the cognitive capacity of a pinched turd.

Rohirrim
07-06-2012, 10:38 AM
A true, free market, in other words a completely unregulated market would lead to one conclusion: Total ownership by a single, giant corporation, or a conglomerate of giant corporations.

Requiem
07-06-2012, 10:39 AM
We will be electing public officials at Wal-Mart by 2050!

Pony Boy
07-06-2012, 10:53 AM
America, like any great country, is based on the strength of its communities. Walmart destroys communities. Like the article says, all those small businesses that Walmart wipes out in a community are the foundations of local, small banks and credit unions, and all the countless, local benevolent organizations that exist (like the Lions Club, etc.), not to mention local sports and youth leagues, local politics, etc etc. And we're not talking about all the small manufacturers that Walmart has wiped out all across this country and replaced with Chinese trash imports. Walmart is a cancer, and the right wingers celebrate the disease because they will always choose ideology over country.

Requiem
07-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Chicken sounds great.

Pony Boy
07-06-2012, 11:02 AM
I know a college professor and his wife that hosted 2 foreign exchange students (European) last fall and on their last day here, he asked them what they would miss most about their time in America. They didn't hesitate and both said Walmart.

Pony Boy
07-06-2012, 11:06 AM
A true, free market, in other words a completely unregulated market would lead to one conclusion: Total ownership by a single, giant corporation, or a conglomerate of giant corporations.

It's a better alternative than what Obama wants.... Total ownership by a single government, or a conglomerate of government branches.

55CrushEm
07-06-2012, 11:37 AM
People don't have priorities.

You aren't kidding.

One of my wife's good friends......nicest lady in the world....her husband works like a dog. But they don't make a ton of money.

They go to Disney World EVERY FRIGGEN YEAR!! Yet they almost had their house foreclosed. WTF.

They come and ask me for some advice (cause I'm a CPA)....and what am I supposed to say? "Don't take a Florida vacation EVERY GOD DAMN year?" How about every OTHER year or every THREE years?

Jesus, I make a lot more than they do.....and I don't spend nearly as much on the "extras" as they do.

Some people just have no idea how to budget.

Pony Boy
07-06-2012, 11:50 AM
You aren't kidding.

One of my wife's good friends......nicest lady in the world....her husband works like a dog. But they don't make a ton of money.

They go to Disney World EVERY FRIGGEN YEAR!! Yet they almost had their house foreclosed. WTF.

They come and ask me for some advice (cause I'm a CPA)....and what am I supposed to say? "Don't take a Florida vacation EVERY GOD DAMN year?" How about every OTHER year or every THREE years?

Jesus, I make a lot more than they do.....and I don't spend nearly as much on the "extras" as they do.

Some people just have no idea how to budget.

My wife is a CPA and we just got back from a week in Sunriver Oregon where she was taking some CPE classes. I went fishing on the Deschutes River and played golf on all three of their championship courses.

What was not so good is United airlines misplaced our luggage for 3 days but we were able to go to Walmart in Bend, Oregon and get everything we needed for a couple of hundred bucks. Now had we gone to the local shops the same items would have cost five hundred bucks.

55CrushEm
07-06-2012, 12:25 PM
My wife is a CPA and we just got back from a week in Sunriver Oregon where she was taking some CPE classes. I went fishing on the Deschutes River and played golf on all three of their championship courses.

What was not so good is United airlines misplaced our luggage for 3 days but we were able to go to Walmart in Bend, Oregon and get everything we needed for a couple of hundred bucks. Now had we gone to the local shops the same items would have cost five hundred bucks.

Nice! I'm actually finishing up my CPE's now to keep my license current.

80 hours every 2 years.

Pony Boy
07-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Nice! I'm actually finishing up my CPE's now to keep my license current.

80 hours every 2 years.

She uses a company called WesternCPE, this the trip we just went on.

http://www.westerncpe.com/conferences/confDetail.cfm?flash=Y&p_conference_id_key=12csun

We we are going on this one to Jamaica in November.

http://www.westerncpe.com/conferences/confDetail.cfm?p_conference_id_key=12CJAM

Garcia Bronco
07-06-2012, 01:15 PM
It's pretty much koc-ka that Walmart destroyed these small businesses. The market did it...aka we did it. Maybe it's more accurate to say we were accessories, but either way it's gone and if one is to surive, one must adapt.

55CrushEm
07-06-2012, 01:19 PM
She uses a company called WesternCPE, this the trip we just went on.

http://www.westerncpe.com/conferences/confDetail.cfm?flash=Y&p_conference_id_key=12csun

We we are going on this one to Jamaica in November.

http://www.westerncpe.com/conferences/confDetail.cfm?p_conference_id_key=12CJAM

For live courses, I've used Western, EEI and CPE, Inc.

For self-study, I use
http://www.mypescpe.com

For this renewal period, I did mostly self study.....it's a lot cheaper and less travel, obviously....even though my company pays for it all.

The last renewal period, I did a 3-day SEC class in NYC....stayed at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square.....that was a fun trip.

EDIT: I have NOT used Western for live courses...only online.

Pony Boy
07-06-2012, 01:54 PM
FYI ......... Tailgatenut is sniping negative rep from the shadows again.......... he's lurking but not posting the cowardly p.o.s. ............:wave:

barryr
07-06-2012, 08:04 PM
FYI ......... Tailgatenut is sniping negative rep from the shadows again.......... he's lurking but not posting the cowardly p.o.s. ............:wave:

Yep, plus nut job Requiem I think still sends hundreds of them, filled with his usual death threats and violence. They are very stable people. And then there's spider. All 3 share similar thoughts on things, especially politics. Hint: they aren't conservative and all need shrinks to say the least.

Bronco Yoda
07-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Has anyone noticed that the prices at Walmart aren't even that cheap anymore.

The other night (It was really late) I needed some kids medicine so I went to the good ol 24 hour Walmart. I picked up a few toiletries and such also. I was surprised at how much the total was. A couple days later I found myself at Target and i compared the prices. Almost every single item was cheaper at Target. I was surprised. Now the wife does most of the shopping and confirmed what I had concluded. I guess it's easy for them to jack up the prices now that they own so much market share.

cutthemdown
07-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Target and Walmart compete for customers, we win with low prices.

cutthemdown
07-06-2012, 11:01 PM

The other night (It was really late) I needed some kids medicine so I went to the good ol 24 hour Walmart. I picked up a few toiletries and such also. I was surprised at how much the total was. A couple days later I found myself at Target and i compared the prices. Almost every single item was cheaper at Target. I was surprised. Now the wife does most of the shopping and confirmed what I had concluded. I guess it's easy for them to jack up the prices now that they own so much market share.

Its like half of everything cheaper at the other place lol. Maybe paper towels cheaper at Target, but shaving cream less at Walmart etc etc. I think though if you shop either place you aren't being a big spender and can feel you are discount shopping. But yeah 30 cents here, a dollar there, hard to get 100% cheapest on all products anywhere but the internet.

Amazon makes an app that you can swipe the bar code, and it will tell you where the product is cheapest.

Meck77
10-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Hmm...Maybe Walmart is actually destroying china not building it.

Get a load of their super smog situation. Visibility down to less than 33 feet! Unreal!

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-22/heavy-smog-shuts-downs-schools-in-northern-chinese-city

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
10-23-2013, 02:30 AM

The irony is, before Sprawl-Mart came down the pike, you would have been able to choose from any number of retailers who would have offered the items you mentioned at a nice price.

The competition inherent in a true capitalist system has that economic effect.

But people like you don't really believe in capitalism - you believe in corporatism.

You want the business world to function like an NFL game with no rules and no refs, and that sort of model invariably leads to monopolies/fewer and fewer choices for consumers.

nyuk nyuk
10-23-2013, 04:11 AM

The economy is as it is and that's part of it. Another part of it is taking advantage of dirt cheap overseas sweat shop labor.

nyuk nyuk
10-23-2013, 04:12 AM

If you want cheap OTC medicines, go to a Kaiser Permanente pharmacy. You don't have to be a member to buy it.

W*GS
10-23-2013, 06:34 AM

Yep. Boulder just got its first Wal*Mart grocery store, so I checked it out a couple weekends back. Prices no better than King Soopers, and in some cases, more.

Wasn't impressed. No big savings on anything at all. Meh.