PDA

View Full Version : OT: Scientists find new particle, probably the Higgs

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-04-2012, 05:26 AM
Real science!!!
GENEVA/LONDON (Reuters) - Scientists at Europe's CERN research center have found a new subatomic particle that could be the Higgs boson, the basic building block of the universe.

"We have indeed discovered a particle consistent with the Higgs boson," John Womersley, head of a British public research body, told journalists and scientists in London on Wednesday.

"These results mark a significant breakthrough in our understanding of the fundamental laws that govern the universe."

Joe Incandela, spokesman for one of the two teams hunting for the Higgs particle told an audience at CERN near Geneva: "This is a preliminary result, but we think it's very strong and very solid."

CERN's director general Rolph Heuer said: "As a layman, I would say I think we have it."

Addressing the scientists assembled in the CERN auditorium, Heuer asked: "Would you agree?" They burst into applause.

More here.................
http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-unveil-milestone-higgs-boson-hunt-044513533.html

DivineLegion
07-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Lol! I read an article like this every week, yet the physics community that doesn't spend most of its time smashing particles together at the worlds super colliders remains sceptical. Why?

Dr. Broncenstein
07-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Lol! I read an article like this every week, yet the physics community that doesn't spend most of its time smashing particles together at the worlds super colliders remains sceptical. Why?

Probably because skepticism is the basis of science.

Bacchus
07-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Scientists are stoopid. That particle only exists because Tebow put it there.

Kaylore
07-04-2012, 08:40 AM

Hilarious! Well at least he's skeptical of the skeptics.

DivineLegion
07-04-2012, 09:06 AM

Haha, truth. I meant to I'm imply more of a deeper discussion on the prevailing theories of physics, and their inability to unite the mathematical models of macro and micro systems. Maybe next time.

Pontius Pirate
07-04-2012, 09:15 AM
This is Obamas 'merica people. I bet Obamacare is to blame for this godless outrage. Tryin' to explain things through science. Psh. I don't need no science. I got my 12-pack, my Bob Seger, and my Hummer. That's enough for me.

#Romney2012

gyldenlove
07-04-2012, 09:43 AM

In physics we typically require 5 or 6 sigma worth of confidence to call something true and move on. So far they have reached nearly 3 sigma which is good in social science but not quite enough in physics.

The other issue is that the evidence is very circumstantial, what they have found is that there are several small peaks in the energy spectrum of decaying particles consistent with a short-lived state that has the mass the Higgs is expected to have and does not fit with any other known particles. The evidence is not direct.

The super collider people want this to happen, they want this new state to be the Higgs, that would be a big win for them - on the other side of the fence I think there are a lot of theoretic physicists who are very cautious because assuming this is the Higgs if it is not can lead to decades of bad physics and stalled progress.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-04-2012, 09:44 AM
This is Obamas 'merica people. I bet Obamacare is to blame for this godless outrage. Tryin' to explain things through science. Psh. I don't need no science. I got my 12-pack, my Bob Seger, and my Hummer. That's enough for me.

#Romney2012

More like. "Global warming is real....but we have to make up data....but we have ignore the late billions years of earth history.....silence any voice that disagrees with what we believe."

Obamazombie 2012

Chris
07-04-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm having trouble finding information about the long term implications of this discovery.

Broncobiv
07-04-2012, 10:25 AM
The only reason I understood anything in that article (which is still very little) is due to the fact that I watch The Big Bang Theory on TV.

Cmac821
07-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm having trouble finding information about the long term implications of this discovery.

^this. What implications does this have?

Pontius Pirate
07-04-2012, 11:23 AM
More like. "Global warming is real....but we have to make up data....but we have ignore the late billions years of earth history.....silence any voice that disagrees with what we believe."

Obamazombie 2012

Damn straight Jethro! I hear you brother. Sumbody sent me this here article about the "evidence" of global warmin and I was all "listen here bub, you 'parently didn't smell what the rock was cooking cause I don't care bout yer lies!"

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/global-warming-its-i-told-you-.html

Pontius Pirate
07-04-2012, 11:26 AM

For one, it could lead, finally, to the discovery of other dimensions

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/03/12547980-the-higgs-boson-made-simple#.T_RxQoquw0g.twitter

DivineLegion
07-04-2012, 11:42 AM
In physics we typically require 5 or 6 sigma worth of confidence to call something true and move on. So far they have reached nearly 3 sigma which is good in social science but not quite enough in physics.

The other issue is that the evidence is very circumstantial, what they have found is that there are several small peaks in the energy spectrum of decaying particles consistent with a short-lived state that has the mass the Higgs is expected to have and does not fit with any other known particles. The evidence is not direct.

The super collider people want this to happen, they want this new state to be the Higgs, that would be a big win for them - on the other side of the fence I think there are a lot of theoretic physicists who are very cautious because assuming this is the Higgs if it is not can lead to decades of bad physics and stalled progress.

I've been slowly working my way through Greene, and Susskinds more generalized literature. I find string theory fascinating, but incomplete. Unfortunately I don't have enough experience in theoretical matatics to discern truth from what I am reading, but I'm also still a student, so the sky is the limit. I enjoy the conceptual analysis, however my aspiration is a complete understanding of modeling principles focusing on astrophysics.

rugbythug
07-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Damn straight Jethro! I hear you brother. Sumbody sent me this here article about the "evidence" of global warmin and I was all "listen here bub, you 'parently didn't smell what the rock was cooking cause I don't care bout yer lies!"

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/global-warming-its-i-told-you-.html

Broscience- Its hot must be global warming. Its cold must be global warming. We have no idea wtf we are doing must be pontius pirate.

Captain 'Dre
07-04-2012, 11:50 AM

Sounds like what they found is a boson turd, left behind by a Higgs boson particle.

The bosons themselves are a lot like Sasquatch, in that there just isn't any clear direct evidence of them... just circumstantial evidence of *something* left behind that is difficult or impossible to explain with what is already established as scientific fact.

I'm betting that boson turds replace fossil fuel within the next 40 million years. :sunshine:

broncosteven
07-04-2012, 11:52 AM

I am no Glynden but here is what I understand:

We only see about 75% of our known universe. We know matter is made of Atoms, and atoms are made of protons and electrons and those are made up of even smaller particles but we don't know how or where an atom gets it's mass from nothing.

Locating the Higgs would go a long way to finding out if our universe has more dimensions as well as what dark matter and dark energy could be made up of.

I think finding the Higgs and extra dimentions along with it would be the biggest scientific discovery since the discovery of atoms. It would allow credence to string and bubble theory and multi-universes existing and rubbing up to our own.

Personally I think we live in a universe where there are more than 4 dimensions, it would explain alot.

Imagine a place where our universe is about as big as our solar system where universes as abundant as galaxies are here bubble up around and next to each other. That is what we could one day discover some sort of exo-universe breeding ground.

Captain 'Dre
07-04-2012, 11:54 AM
The only reason I understood anything in that article (which is still very little) is due to the fact that I watch The Big Bang Theory on TV.

I was gonna say the same thing, only for me it's "I Carly". :)

gyldenlove
07-04-2012, 12:00 PM

The short term implication is that the world will end on or around November 3rd 2012 as predicted by the Zorhhstasticisfnians (a very isolated society of 7 extremely inbread goatpeople living in the yet unexplored parts of the Southern Himalayas).

Longer term this means Obama will get reelected to a 2nd term and crude oil will drop to below 60 per barrel between now and 2015.

As it happens, this has absolutely no short term implications at all. It is possible it may open up some form of extremely high energy applications but it is pure science fiction right now to speculate.

gyldenlove
07-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Sounds like what they found is a boson turd, left behind by a Higgs boson particle.

The bosons themselves are a lot like Sasquatch, in that there just isn't any clear direct evidence of them... just circumstantial evidence of *something* left behind that is difficult or impossible to explain with what is already established as scientific fact.

I'm betting that boson turds replace fossil fuel within the next 40 million years. :sunshine:

The real explanation of what they are looking for is this:

When an up-quark scatters off another up-quark at high energy, a number of intermittent states can arise that decay almost instantly into a number of different decay products - for most of the decay products, there are anywhere between 5 and 25 different temporary states that can yield the same products and one of these is a Higgs boson. So what they do is look at the spectrum of these decay products and they are looking for a small overabundance of decay products at a specific energy for all the processes, if they see an overabundance at this energy for all products they take it to mean that the Higgs particle does exist. If there is no overabundance or only an overabundance for some products they don't know what it means but quite possible that the Higgs doesn't exist.

gyldenlove
07-04-2012, 12:05 PM
I've been slowly working my way through Greene, and Susskinds more generalized literature. I find string theory fascinating, but incomplete. Unfortunately I don't have enough experience in theoretical matatics to discern truth from what I am reading, but I'm also still a student, so the sky is the limit. I enjoy the conceptual analysis, however my aspiration is a complete understanding of modeling principles focusing on astrophysics.

A complete understanding is very ambitious, the amount of math required for that is stupendous. My chain broke when I went to quantum field theory which is one or two step short of string theory - so I hopped to medical physics.

Pontius Pirate
07-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Broscience- Its hot must be global warming. Its cold must be global warming. We have no idea wtf we are doing must be pontius pirate.

I'm with you bro! Screw all science! Just spark up a doobie and blast that Seger and thank the baby Jesus for 'merica and Papa Johns

/takes off cap. Stares at the stars and stripes. Single tear rolls down cheek

elsid13
07-04-2012, 12:23 PM
When does this discover allows us to import sexy extra-dimension females without pointy knees???

gyldenlove
07-04-2012, 12:25 PM
When does this discover allows us to import sexy extra-dimension females without pointy knees???

Shortly after women rebel and enslave males in matrix style pods designed to use us as a power and semen source.

elsid13
07-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Shortly after women rebel and enslave males in matrix style pods designed to use us as a power and semen source.

So next week.....