PDA

View Full Version : Rick Upchurch battling cancer

titan
07-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Saw this on Pro Football Talk just now:

Rick Upchurch battling cancer, raising money for chemotherapy

Rick Upchurch, the former Denver Bronco who was one of the best punt returners in NFL history, is battling leukemia and attempting to raise money to pay for his treatment.

read more here: bit.ly/QVEgzM (http://bit.ly/QVEgzM)

=====

I wish Upchurch well in his recovery. Isn't it about time the Broncos give Upchurch his long overdue induction into the Ring Of Fame?

Crushaholic
07-02-2012, 10:29 AM
I concur. Upchurch for Ring of Fame...

I wish him the best, in his fight...:strong:

broncosteven
07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Very sad, Yes I agree long overdue Ring of Fame honor!

BroncoBen
07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
I just read that as well... I also wish him the best.

SouthStndJunkie
07-02-2012, 01:27 PM
That sucks to hear this about Rick Upchurch.

He was my favorite Bronco growing up and a native of Northwest Ohio, close to where I grew up.

I met him a few times as a kid and he would sign every card or picture I asked him to sign and was very friendly.

He was at a free autograph signing once and I brought all my Rick Upchurch cards in and he signed them all for me.....I bet there were 15 to 20 of them.

I gave him a few of his cards that day and he thought that was awesome.

I wish him the best of luck and hope he kicks it's ass.

long beach bronco
07-02-2012, 01:50 PM
I hear you Junkie, I love Rick Upchurch, when I started liking the Broncos, he was my favorite next to Gradishar. Upchurch, White Shoes Johnson and Mike Nelms were the most feared punt/kick off returners in the league.

SouthStndJunkie
07-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Yep....I started liking the Broncos when I was probably 6 years old (1978) because the local news would talk about the local kid, Rick Upchurch playing well for the Denver Broncos and then I'd see them playing once in a while on TV in those orange uniforms and I was hooked.

Nice to see you around, LBB.....hope all is well with you.

Stuck in Cali
07-02-2012, 02:08 PM
One of the best Broncos ever. Hope he gets the care he needs, wish him the best.

SouthStndJunkie
07-02-2012, 02:11 PM
It's an awesome coincidence that Broncos rookie UDFA return man/WR Eric Page went to the same high school (Springfield High School) as Rick Upchurch.

It's in the same league (Northern Lakes League) as the high school I went to and played for and Springfield is probably our biggest rival.

It's not like they are a powerhouse cranking out Division 1 college prospects....they have maybe had a couple besides Upchurch and Page, but not many.

Actually, Springfield had a defensive lineman sign with Nebraska a year or so ago, which was kind of cool. I think he is a redshirt freshman at Nebraska.....DT Kevin Williams.

LittleFloyd
07-02-2012, 02:32 PM
come on Bowlen, you gutless drunk. Put this man in the Ring of Fame.

Best wishes Rick.

titan
07-02-2012, 02:51 PM
3 receptions for 153 yards (including a 90 yard td reception)

1 rushing td (13 yards)

188 yards in punt and kickoff return yardage

One of the most amazing rookie debuts in Broncos history. Those were Rick Upchurch's stats vs the KC Chiefs Sept 21, 1975. I was in the South Stands that day and Upchurch made a fan out of me - one of the most exciting players in Broncos history. The Broncos won that opener, 37-33, thanks in large part to Upchurch.

Upchurch also has a place in history as I believe the only Bronco to catch passes from three ring of fame bronco quarterbacks (Charlie Johnson, Craig Morton, and John Elway)

He should have been in the Ring Of Fame years ago.

long beach bronco
07-02-2012, 02:59 PM
It's funny, I was just on vacation in Ohio in a small town right near Springfield called Bellefontaine. My sister in law is from there and me and the family was just there. I rode through Springfleld.

jerseyboiler120
07-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Wish Upchurch all the best. Used to love the excitement build-up as the oppowing punter booted the ball waiting for Rick to catch it to see how far he could bring it back.

SouthStndJunkie
07-02-2012, 04:32 PM
It's funny, I was just on vacation in Ohio in a small town right near Springfield called Bellefontaine. My sister in law is from there and me and the family was just there. I rode through Springfleld.

Different Springfield....the Springfield they are from is in NW Ohio and isn't really a city, it's the name of the high school in Holland, Ohio, a few miles outside of Toledo, Ohio.

extralife
07-02-2012, 04:34 PM
**** the ring of fame--why don't they just pay for his chemo? Are you going to tell me they've got something better to do with that money?

gunns
07-02-2012, 04:36 PM
come on Bowlen, you gutless drunk. Put this man in the Ring of Fame.

Best wishes Rick.

Agree and pony up some money to help him out. That is incredibly sad, both the cancer and the fact he has to try and raise money for treatment.

errand
07-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Rick use to date Condaleeza Rice when she attended University of Denver...

Bacchus
07-03-2012, 01:43 AM
Saw this on Pro Football Talk just now:

Rick Upchurch battling cancer, raising money for chemotherapy

Rick Upchurch, the former Denver Bronco who was one of the best punt returners in NFL history, is battling leukemia and attempting to raise money to pay for his treatment.

read more here: bit.ly/QVEgzM (http://bit.ly/QVEgzM)

=====

I wish Upchurch well in his recovery. Isn't it about time the Broncos give Upchurch his long overdue induction into the Ring Of Fame?

Too bad his cancer could not have waited until 2014 when Obamacare takes effect. Good luck Mr. Upchurch you're a Broncos' legend.

errand
07-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Too bad his cancer could not have waited until 2014 when Obamacare takes effect. Good luck Mr. Upchurch you're a Broncos' legend.

Even if it was to go in effect today, he'd probably still have to wait until 2014 to get treatment

Bronco Yoda
07-03-2012, 09:43 PM
:(

The Moops
07-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Let's hope the Broncos ROF committee: Pat Bowlen, Joe Collier, Larry Zimmer and John Beake finally vote Rick Upchurch into the Ring of Fame.

UPCHURCH IS THE ONLY 2-TIME ALL-DECADE PLAYER IN BRONCOS HISTORY!

The fact that he is not in the Ring of Fame is a travesty. No time but the present time to vote him in.

Bacchus
07-04-2012, 03:10 AM
Let's hope the Broncos ROF committee: Pat Bowlen, Joe Collier, Larry Zimmer and John Beake finally vote Rick Upchurch into the Ring of Fame.

The fact that he is not in the Ring of Fame is a travesty. No time but the present time to vote him in.

This is great Broncos' legends have to get handouts when they get sick because they have no health care, yet people like it this way and want to keep it this way. What a stupid society we live in.

NFLBRONCO
07-04-2012, 09:12 AM
This health care is going to pick up the tab on treatment yeah right. My mom's treatment is 6500.00 for 28 pills 100 mg that last 2 months. At some point she'll need 200 mg do the math would be 13,000 every 2 months.

errand
07-04-2012, 09:33 AM
This is great Broncos' legends have to get handouts when they get sick because they have no health care, yet people like it this way and want to keep it this way. What a stupid society we live in.

I agree that Rick is one of the Broncos all-time greats and I feel bad that he has cancer...

Having said that I have to take exception with your comment about the health care issue.

I have to ask why a Broncos legend that earned more than the average US citizen did during his playing days needs someone else's help to pay for his bills?

Rick earned plenty of money during his NFL career.. (keep in mind that $30K in 1975 is the same as earning over $128K today...$35K = $149K, and so on...)

And he also gets a nice pension from the NFL as well...which he could have started drawing on in 1995 (had he decided to at age 45....but it was wiser to start at age 55 due to the multiplier that punished you for "early retirement"). The average pension payout in 2005 was $14,500. He coached college ball, and high school ball, and surely he has medical plans from those jobs as well....so it's not like he didn't earn any money and was homeless like J.R. Richardson was after suffering from a stroke.

Sure cancer treatments are expensive, but surely he kept his own private health care...and if he chose not to how is that anyone else's fault?

consider this a PSA...there will come a day when you won't be able to work anymore, be it from downsizing, retirement, illness, etc...save some ****ing money.

BTW, help is available to Rick, the NFL provides plenty of options for him...so please stop with the healthcare agenda already.

B-Love
07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3KZzW0IF-K8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

B-Love
07-06-2012, 09:42 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B7aZ4lZTCWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

B-Love
07-06-2012, 09:48 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CVTOWVbzN2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

errand
07-06-2012, 11:15 AM
B-Love...the resident historian....I love that your archives has damn near every play and game in Broncos history....for the younger guys on here that don't know your Broncos history, and us older guys who suffer from CRS (can't remember ****) this is the man to ask.

I still have those VHS tapes of the Bronco-Steelers '77 game and SB XII you sent me about 10 years ago...

Dutch
07-06-2012, 03:03 PM

Agreed. He has always been one of my favorite Broncos of all time and this is looooong overdue.