PDA

View Full Version : Boring Sports (Pro or College) to WATCH (not play)

orinjkrush
07-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Poll coming.

Select all that apply. Most boring sport ends up with most votes.

Am bored without football, so let's examine boredom...:strong:

Kaylore
07-01-2012, 08:48 AM
No NASCAR? That's my "other" vote.

I've been to two Rodeos in my life. Both were the most boring experiences of my life. So Rodeo is the least fun for me. I could honestly watch a craft show and be more entertained than a rodeo.

WARNING: Be careful what the family of your spouse likes; You could be in for some really boring family vations.

orinjkrush
07-01-2012, 08:49 AM

Good catch! 2 votes for NASCAR

houghtam
07-01-2012, 09:26 AM

I've been to two Rodeos in my life. Both were the most boring experiences of my life. So Rodeo is the least fun for me. I could honestly watch a craft show and be more entertained than a rodeo.

WARNING: Be careful what the family of your spouse likes; You could be in for some really boring family vations.

LOL so true. I'm stuck here in rural Ohio watching the Tour de France with my in-laws. Those guys are some amazing athletes. This is, however, quite possibly more boring than watching a Law & Order marathon.

DHallblows
07-01-2012, 09:33 AM
I like how baseball is so boring, that you forgot to even put it in this poll. That's my "other"

broncosteven
07-01-2012, 09:50 AM
LOL so true. I'm stuck here in rural Ohio watching the Tour de France with my in-laws. Those guys are some amazing athletes. This is, however, quite possibly more boring than watching a Law & Order marathon.

I have really enjoyed watching the Tour ds France over the last couple years. Trick is to scope out the chataues(?) and scenery.

Within the Tour de France I hate watching time trials. The excitement comes in the mountain stages. I love to see guys fighting out the climbs, I enjoy watching a good breakaway also but they usually always get reeled in by the peloton.

Sadly this year both Contador (for doping) and Andy Schelck (for a broken hip) are both out of the race. Not sure how much I will watch this year because there is no clear favorites.

Swedish Extrovert
07-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Not voting since watching people drive cars (Nascar) isn't on the list.

Swedish Extrovert
07-01-2012, 09:54 AM
I like how baseball is so boring, that you forgot to even put it in this poll. That's my "other"

Baseball, too. Boring.

I like to watch golf.

Swedish Extrovert
07-01-2012, 09:57 AM
K I voted...

How can anyone think horse racing is boring? A horse race lasts for like two minutes and there is all the build up to it.

Crushaholic
07-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Sports is sports, and I'll watch about anything (absent something else interesting to watch). I have no interest in competitive dancing. From the "other" category, NASCAR would be tops on my list...

broncs2bowl
07-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Baseball is boring as s**t, and it doesn't help that there are only like 2-3 teams worth anything every year since the beginning of time.

BroncoBeavis
07-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Outside of the playoffs it's just about impossible for me to watch baseball on TV anymore. Not even sure why. But plunk me down at the ball park to watch live games and I can hang out all day and enjoy myself.

I'm not sure why but baseball loses something translated to TV. I think TV's part of the reason the NFL exploded and replaced America's game.

Irish Stout
07-01-2012, 10:39 AM
NASCAR is the most boring thing ever.

I second horse racing not being boring because it is so quick. If you are really bored during the 5 minutes the actual race is going on, then you have severe ADD.

Dr. Broncenstein
07-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Anything with women as the participants. Except something where they are scantily clad and are sexually attractive.

houghtam
07-01-2012, 10:46 AM
LOL at the baseball is boring crowd. Astrophysics is boring to me as well, but I can admit its because I can't understand it to save my life.

But seriously though, I do think this discussion needs to differentiate between televised and live. I've had just about every NASCAR fan I ever met tell me it's more fun in person, which I don't doubt. How could watching cars turn left for four hours NOT be more fun to watch in person with alcohol and half naked women? Same thing with golf. I'd burn my own retinas out before watching it on tv, but I have to admit it was pretty sweet standing next to Rocco when he teed off on the 16th at the 2008 Buick Open.

Jay3
07-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Some sports reward right away, watching even if you don't follow them or appreciate the nuances. For example, volleyball, diving, or tenis are like that for me.

And some sports are seemingly boring to watch casually, but they really reward when you know who the competitors are, understand the finer points, and feel some stake in the outcome.

My dad used to be bored by MMA, but after sitting there and hearing me (and Joe Rogan) observe the same things again and again, he started to understand how a fight is won on the ground, and began to enjoy it.

houghtam
07-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Outside of the playoffs it's just about impossible for me to watch baseball on TV anymore. Not even sure why. But plunk me down at the ball park to watch live games and I can hang out all day and enjoy myself.

I'm not sure why but baseball loses something translated to TV. I think TV's part of the reason the NFL exploded and replaced America's game.

Good post. Baseball has an antiquated broadcast network which alienates half the country by enforcing decades old arbitrary boundaries and blacks out games for illogical reasons. They're running a 21st century business with mid 20th century ideas. But then again, baseball has never been on the cutting edge of technology, for all of their progressive attitude in other areas.

Stuck in Cali
07-01-2012, 11:21 AM
No baseball to vote for, yet you put quiddich. Now that is funny as hell. Thanks!

orinjkrush
07-01-2012, 11:50 AM
can't believe i forgot to type in baseball. it was on my paper list. duh.

interesting point about WATCHING either on TV or live.

didn't think about that. i like watching hockey, basketball and baseball live. but on TV? unless its REALLY important play off or something......snnnnnoooorrrrre

peacepipe
07-01-2012, 11:52 AM
how can anyone find women in bikinis playing volleyball boring?

broncosteven
07-01-2012, 01:36 PM
My neighbors played freaking cornhole for 8 hours or more yesterday, talk about boring.

Jason in LA
07-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Distance events at track meet. I'm pretty engaged during the sprint events, but once a distance event comes on I usually change the channel and might forget to come back to it later.

BroncoBeavis
07-01-2012, 03:09 PM
My neighbors played freaking cornhole for 8 hours or more yesterday, talk about boring.

I always thought that was more of a bedroom, non-spectator type sport.

Takes all kinds I guess. :)

broncogary
07-01-2012, 04:04 PM
K I voted...

How can anyone think horse racing is boring? A horse race lasts for like two minutes and there is all the build up to it.

Compared to college dog racing? Come on. :)

Cmac821
07-01-2012, 04:10 PM
street skate was just on X games turns out that is not very fun to watch

TheChamp24
07-01-2012, 04:24 PM
I will say baseball is beyond stupid with their broadcasting policies and crap they do. Like for instance, go ahead and try to find highlights of guys on youtube. you can't, because MLB restricts everything, yet offers no replacement.

houghtam
07-01-2012, 04:44 PM
I will say baseball is beyond stupid with their broadcasting policies and crap they do. Like for instance, go ahead and try to find highlights of guys on youtube. you can't, because MLB restricts everything, yet offers no replacement.

Yeah and there are restrictions on what can be shown where, with idiotic enforcements. For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_blackout_policy

The entire state of Iowa, for example, is within the blackout areas of the Cubs, White Sox, Brewers, Twins, Cardinals, and Royals. Southern Nevada likewise lies within six MLB teams' blackout territories (Athletics, Giants, Angels, Dodgers, Padres, Diamondbacks). Areas of far western Kansas and the Nebraska panhandle represent an anomaly; although being geographically closer to Denver than Kansas City, they are included in the blackout territory for the Royals and not the Rockies.

The Toronto Blue Jays' blackout territory includes all of Canada. However, they must share British Columbia and Alberta with the Seattle Mariners, Saskatchewan and Manitoba with the Minnesota Twins, and the Maritimes with the Boston Red Sox.

ZONA
07-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Soccer by far the most boring sport ever. Kick the ball to that end, nothing happens, kick the ball the other way nothing happens, back and forth, back and forth, an hour later OMG, somebody scored.............snoar.

houghtam
07-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Soccer by far the most boring sport ever. Kick the ball to that end, nothing happens, kick the ball the other way nothing happens, back and forth, back and forth, an hour later OMG, somebody scored.............snoar.

A friend of mine said to me: "Twilight is like soccer. A bunch of guys run around for two hours, nobody scores, and half a billion fans say "you just don't understand."

gunns
07-01-2012, 07:28 PM

LOL! I was thinking the same thing, about NASCAR and rodeos. One watching a driver turn the same direction for a couple of hours and the other tormenting animals. Also where the hell is baseball. It would have gotten a vote from me.

Doggcow
07-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Women's Lacrosse is a joke

Dr. Broncenstein
07-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Rodeos are awesome especially live. You havent lived until you've seen Mexican poker live. That would even be awesome if girls did it.

Jay3
07-01-2012, 07:42 PM
I see wrestling scored high as "boring." When I voted, I meant real wrestling, which is pretty compelling and gets overwith quickly.

I hope it wasn't supposed to mean the fake "pro" wrestling. I'd rather pull hairs out of my scrote than watch that.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-01-2012, 07:44 PM
A tebow 1st half.

GoHAM
07-01-2012, 08:41 PM
NASCAR and Baseball are my two "Others". The only thing that baseball on TV is good for is when I'm hung over and want to take a nap. Tune into a baseball game, polish off a beer or two and lights out for a solid hour or two, awesome.

GoHAM
07-01-2012, 08:48 PM
I always thought that was more of a bedroom, non-spectator type sport.

Takes all kinds I guess. :)

Indeed it does (http://t-wire.com/carson-palmers-cornhole-classic/).

LongDongJohnson
07-01-2012, 11:33 PM
Any sport not called Football or Basketball is boring as ****.

Jason in LA
07-01-2012, 11:39 PM
street skate was just on X games turns out that is not very fun to watch

I was there. The prelims were kind of boring, so I left after about 10 minutes. It was too hot sitting right in the sun. But the finals was kind of exciting.

I didn't care much for either the skate or BMX street events, but the park, vert, and big air were pretty cool.

Interesting thing about the X Games, the practice sessions were better than the competitions. But none of them are televised.

CPA
07-02-2012, 07:26 AM
To the 17 people who voted "Lacrosse" as boring, do you even know what it is?

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-02-2012, 07:54 AM
I was there. The prelims were kind of boring, so I left after about 10 minutes. It was too hot sitting right in the sun. But the finals was kind of exciting.

I didn't care much for either the skate or BMX street events, but the park, vert, and big air were pretty cool.

Interesting thing about the X Games, the practice sessions were better than the competitions. But none of them are televised.

For street skating the best skaters in the business do not enter contests. Especially X games. Video parts are far better and that's what the elite strive for. So the contests usually aren't that great.

Jason in LA
07-02-2012, 08:02 AM
For street skating the best skaters in the business do not enter contests. Especially X games. Video parts are far better and that's what the elite strive for. So the contests usually aren't that great.

I've heard something like that. I work for a black newspaper and I was doing a story on a black guy who owned a skateboard shop. I asked him why there weren't a lot of black guys in the X Games, and he told me that there were a lot of really good black skaters, but they just weren't interested in competing at the X Games.

So I guess that's true across the board.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-02-2012, 08:10 AM
I've heard something like that. I work for a black newspaper and I was doing a story on a black guy who owned a skateboard shop. I asked him why there weren't a lot of black guys in the X Games, and he told me that there were a lot of really good black skaters, but they just weren't interested in competing at the X Games.

So I guess that's true across the board.

Yup he's right. He was probably talkin about guys like terry kennedy Stevie Williams. Kareem Campbell back in the day. Seemed through the years the street culture of skating kept the best of the best in the street and not in parks. From all the EMB kids in SF to the chocolate\girl team down in your area. There's a guy named Tom Penny who was incredible through the last decade and I dont think he's ever even entered a contest in his life.

Swedish Extrovert
07-02-2012, 04:16 PM
how can anyone find women in bikinis playing volleyball boring?

Well when the girls are 6'4" and they look like this:
http://www.gossipsauce.com/files/gs_kerri_walsh_081205_m.jpg

it's kind of a tossup.

broncocalijohn
07-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Baseball, too. Boring.

I like to watch golf.

Yeah, baseball boring to watch but golf isnt. You high?

Quittach is something I got into from a movie and now my kid just signed up for it. That is going to be the next awesome sport of all time. Fly bitch!

broncocalijohn
07-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Well when the girls are 6'4" and they look like this:
http://www.gossipsauce.com/files/gs_kerri_walsh_081205_m.jpg

it's kind of a tossup.

beach volleyball is a great sport to watch. Too athletic of players for the common folk to even come close to keep up. I think a girl just retired from my alumni class. She was 40 last time i saw her on tv.