PDA

View Full Version : New Horsepower Fueling Broncos ...

Hulamau
06-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Part 1 of 3
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/New-Horsepower-Fueling-Broncos/2d7f4737-194d-43d4-989b-bf438ce1525c

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When linebacker Joe Mays walked into the weight room at the Broncos’ Dove Valley headquarters to begin his first offseason workout, he barely recognized his surroundings.

Gone were the machines, dumbbells, bench press stations, squat racks and rows of treadmills that lined the weight room last year.

In was an entire new set of equipment designed to maximize the efficiency of a workout and utilize the 9,000-square-foot space in the most effective way possible.

“When I first walked in it was all empty,” Mays said. “He pretty much told us what was going where and what machines he was going to get. It’s sweet – they took out everything that we had in there before. We have all new, state-of-the-art equipment. We just go in there and try to work our hardest and it’s been great so far.”

Brand New Philosophy

With the arrival of Strength and Conditioning Coach Luke Richesson and his staff came the first overhaul of a strength program that had been in place for 17 seasons with the Broncos.

“Our methodology is: there are two reasons why we’re here,” Richesson explained. “It’s either to improve performance or to help someone recover from an injury, help someone get through some pain. The program is all-encompassing with that, from the warm-up to the approach from the volume and intensity, the tracking and the power and the conditioning, everything is geared around those two things.”

A major change to the team’s weightlifting program centers around the structure of the workouts.

Instead of working out in small groups, Richesson introduced larger-group workouts.

“We wanted the offense and the defense -- 45 guys on each side of the ball -- to know each other, to be able to watch each other train and get a certain sense of intensity that it takes. We wanted to raise the bar there. I think we did that.”

That approach has been embraced by the players thus far.

“For one, we’re getting faster and stronger together,” Mays said about the benefits of working out as a team. “Two, we’re building that camaraderie together. I think that’s going to be huge for us this year. The fact that he’s brought that approach in with him has been great.” ......

(continued at link above)

Part 2 of 3

..........With 90 players on the team’s offseason roster, creating a space for a large group of large men to work out at the same time required a lot of thought.
“We knew we needed to be able to outfit the room to handle large groups because that’s how we want to train,” Richesson said. “When you look at the overall organization of the room, it’s a clean, simple look that allows for movement.”

Equally important to renovating the room was bringing the rest of Richesson’s staff with him from Jacksonville, where the quartet had worked together for the previous three seasons.

MAXIMIZING EFFICIENCY

In addition to being able to accommodate large numbers of players, Richesson wanted to make sure the setup was conducive to getting players in and out of the weight room as quickly as possible, while still getting a full workout in.
During the season, the players’ schedule not only includes weightlifting sessions, but meetings with coaches, on-field practice, time spent in the training room, meeting with the media and film study.
Richesson and his staff set the goal not to waste a second of time when a player steps foot into the weight room for a workout.

“Time is of the essence,” Richesson said. “Coaches want them. The media wants them. The family wants them. (Head Athletic Trainer Steve) ‘Greek’ (Antonopulos ) wants them.”
The equipment the strength and conditioning staff brought in allows players to quickly transition between lifts and helps them get warmed up and into the workout quickly.

That meant installing power plates – vibration platforms that help with stretching and flexibility, Keiser workout equipment that uses air resistance to ease wear and tear on players’ joints and powerblocks – dumbbell sets that players can adjust from 15-150 lbs simply by moving a pin.

“For us to be able to get our guys activated, turned on, flexible, mobile, we knew we had to have our power plates in here,” Richesson said. “We’re the only team in the NFL that has 12 power plates. They’ve been invaluable.”

NEW-LOOK EQUIPMENT

In addition to providing an efficient workout setup, the new equipment lets Richesson and his staff structure workouts in a way that will get the most out of players without hurting their on-field performance.

“Our players, as they get older, even a 2 or 3-year vet, they’re going to have some sort of wear and tear on the body,” he continued. “The Kaiser equipment, with the pneumatics and the air resistance, the abuse that the joints take is reduced significantly. For us, I knew we needed to get our Kaiser equipment in here.”

The power plates have also proved instrumental to getting players’ muscles warmed up and ready to go in the weight room.

“The power plate, the ability to get our guys warmed up and activated, it’s vibration training, and it’s been a huge asset for us,” Richesson said. “The power plate training started in the 1960’s with the Russians and their space program. They were finding that their athletes were able to stay in space up to three times longer than the Americans because of their ability to hold on to lean mass and their bone density. We got a plate and it was almost 14 years ago and we started playing with it and realized this can help our athletes. Through the last 10-plus years and we have been able to play with it and dial in how it can help our athletes warm up, actually activate within a workout and then cool down.”

Much of the new equipment was brand new to players who had grown accustomed to standard bench press, squats, dumbbells and other Olympic lifts over the years.

That meant extensive training from Richesson, George, Eubanks and Lomando on how to properly use the equipment before the staff could even install their new offseason program.

“There was a lot of teaching on the front end,” Richesson said with a smile. “From the warm-up to how to use a power plate, how does the Kaiser equipment work, tracking power loads, getting them to understand their heart rate monitor, what heart rate should they be, what type of recovery should they be able to hit, and really educate them on that process.” .....

(Continued) Part two of three..

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/New-Horsepower-Fueling-Broncos----Part-II-The-Renovation/dce27be1-4de7-4dcb-8c07-8f5c8904e14c

Hulamau
06-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Part 1 of 3
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/New-Horsepower-Fueling-Broncos/2d7f4737-194d-43d4-989b-bf438ce1525c

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When linebacker Joe Mays walked into the weight room at the Broncos’ Dove Valley headquarters to begin his first offseason workout, he barely recognized his surroundings.

Gone were the machines, dumbbells, bench press stations, squat racks and rows of treadmills that lined the weight room last year.

In was an entire new set of equipment designed to maximize the efficiency of a workout and utilize the 9,000-square-foot space in the most effective way possible.

“When I first walked in it was all empty,” Mays said. “He pretty much told us what was going where and what machines he was going to get. It’s sweet – they took out everything that we had in there before. We have all new, state-of-the-art equipment. We just go in there and try to work our hardest and it’s been great so far.”

Brand New Philosophy

With the arrival of Strength and Conditioning Coach Luke Richesson and his staff came the first overhaul of a strength program that had been in place for 17 seasons with the Broncos.

“Our methodology is: there are two reasons why we’re here,” Richesson explained. “It’s either to improve performance or to help someone recover from an injury, help someone get through some pain. The program is all-encompassing with that, from the warm-up to the approach from the volume and intensity, the tracking and the power and the conditioning, everything is geared around those two things.”

A major change to the team’s weightlifting program centers around the structure of the workouts.

Instead of working out in small groups, Richesson introduced larger-group workouts.

“We wanted the offense and the defense -- 45 guys on each side of the ball -- to know each other, to be able to watch each other train and get a certain sense of intensity that it takes. We wanted to raise the bar there. I think we did that.”

That approach has been embraced by the players thus far.

“For one, we’re getting faster and stronger together,” Mays said about the benefits of working out as a team. “Two, we’re building that camaraderie together. I think that’s going to be huge for us this year. The fact that he’s brought that approach in with him has been great.” ......

(continued at link above)

Part 2 of 3

..........With 90 players on the team’s offseason roster, creating a space for a large group of large men to work out at the same time required a lot of thought.
“We knew we needed to be able to outfit the room to handle large groups because that’s how we want to train,” Richesson said. “When you look at the overall organization of the room, it’s a clean, simple look that allows for movement.”

Equally important to renovating the room was bringing the rest of Richesson’s staff with him from Jacksonville, where the quartet had worked together for the previous three seasons.

MAXIMIZING EFFICIENCY

In addition to being able to accommodate large numbers of players, Richesson wanted to make sure the setup was conducive to getting players in and out of the weight room as quickly as possible, while still getting a full workout in.
During the season, the players’ schedule not only includes weightlifting sessions, but meetings with coaches, on-field practice, time spent in the training room, meeting with the media and film study.
Richesson and his staff set the goal not to waste a second of time when a player steps foot into the weight room for a workout.

“Time is of the essence,” Richesson said. “Coaches want them. The media wants them. The family wants them. (Head Athletic Trainer Steve) ‘Greek’ (Antonopulos ) wants them.”
The equipment the strength and conditioning staff brought in allows players to quickly transition between lifts and helps them get warmed up and into the workout quickly.

That meant installing power plates – vibration platforms that help with stretching and flexibility, Keiser workout equipment that uses air resistance to ease wear and tear on players’ joints and powerblocks – dumbbell sets that players can adjust from 15-150 lbs simply by moving a pin.

“For us to be able to get our guys activated, turned on, flexible, mobile, we knew we had to have our power plates in here,” Richesson said. “We’re the only team in the NFL that has 12 power plates. They’ve been invaluable.”

NEW-LOOK EQUIPMENT

In addition to providing an efficient workout setup, the new equipment lets Richesson and his staff structure workouts in a way that will get the most out of players without hurting their on-field performance.

“Our players, as they get older, even a 2 or 3-year vet, they’re going to have some sort of wear and tear on the body,” he continued. “The Kaiser equipment, with the pneumatics and the air resistance, the abuse that the joints take is reduced significantly. For us, I knew we needed to get our Kaiser equipment in here.”

The power plates have also proved instrumental to getting players’ muscles warmed up and ready to go in the weight room.

“The power plate, the ability to get our guys warmed up and activated, it’s vibration training, and it’s been a huge asset for us,” Richesson said. “The power plate training started in the 1960’s with the Russians and their space program. They were finding that their athletes were able to stay in space up to three times longer than the Americans because of their ability to hold on to lean mass and their bone density. We got a plate and it was almost 14 years ago and we started playing with it and realized this can help our athletes. Through the last 10-plus years and we have been able to play with it and dial in how it can help our athletes warm up, actually activate within a workout and then cool down.”

Much of the new equipment was brand new to players who had grown accustomed to standard bench press, squats, dumbbells and other Olympic lifts over the years.

That meant extensive training from Richesson, George, Eubanks and Lomando on how to properly use the equipment before the staff could even install their new offseason program.

“There was a lot of teaching on the front end,” Richesson said with a smile. “From the warm-up to how to use a power plate, how does the Kaiser equipment work, tracking power loads, getting them to understand their heart rate monitor, what heart rate should they be, what type of recovery should they be able to hit, and really educate them on that process.” .....

(Continued) Part two of three..

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/New-Horsepower-Fueling-Broncos----Part-II-The-Renovation/dce27be1-4de7-4dcb-8c07-8f5c8904e14c

Hulamau
06-27-2012, 06:20 PM
This is great news and a very positive development compoared to past years and the stale routines they were used to.

Power Plates are excellent machines as are their top competition for the price/ performance the 3G-Cardio AVT 6.0 (Acceleration Vibration Training) machiness

The 3G Cardio AVT 6.0 is teh best bargain by far for the bucks at $4,500 for a machine easily as good as the Powerplate My 7 or Pro 6. for $8,000 and upwards toward $11,000. http://www.3gcardio.com

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-27-2012, 06:24 PM
WTF is a "power plate"?

scorpio
06-27-2012, 06:30 PM
http://www.qualitybriar.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/p90x.jpg

Tombstone RJ
06-27-2012, 06:30 PM
great, I hope this helps with injuries and recovery time. Sounds like a very dynamic process that keeps the players in top physical condition.

scorpio
06-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I actually own a set of powerblocks and I love them. But seriously though, if they start squatting on bosu balls I'm going to lose my ****.

elsid13
06-27-2012, 06:33 PM
God I hope they go with Crossfit next, just to watch Rev's head exploded.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-27-2012, 06:35 PM
WTF is a "power plate"?

I googled it. Interesting stuff.

broncocalijohn
06-27-2012, 06:39 PM

I highly doubt he knew any of this stuff. Unless he does follow up classes and learns the new stuff, dude probably thinks it is ok to work out with a bench, rope and a vw in the back for them to pull.

scorpio
06-27-2012, 06:40 PM

I highly doubt he knew any of this stuff. Unless he does follow up classes and learns the new stuff, dude probably thinks it is ok to work out with a bench, rope and a vw in the back for them to pull.

I think he was referring to the limited about of time he has with the players, not that everyone wants to use his magic shaky machines.

bowtown
06-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Bowlen is clearly broke.

DomCasual
06-27-2012, 07:32 PM

Okay, Luke Richesson is more like Ivan Drago. Greek is more like Rocky.

Richesson is all the fancy, schmancy equipment. Greek is a jock strap, a 140-lb birch log, and three feet of snow.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vs8-eYAuldg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is video of the first time Richesson and Greek met, after Richesson was hired.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ygQvB6OjHOU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Moral of the story? Greek has forgotten more about fitness than Luke Richesson knows. We all know how the Rocky Balboa/Ivan Drago fight turned out. Rocky basically saved democracy, as we know it.

Get ready for chills, my friends!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u-w_HsQ0LAU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hulamau
06-27-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm jazzed about this commitment the team has made to really go for it the right way in training! it really can result in a stronger more flexible team who, hopefully, is less prone to injury and who recovers faster and more thoroughly when inevitably some do go down.

The working out in larger defensive and offensive groups instead of the same few guys in their on private world working out together makes a lot of sense in building better team connection and camaraderie that should carry over into the season.

Ironically, I'm heading down to Scottsdale from Sedona tomorrow to buy a 3G-Cardio AVT 6.0 for my wife and I to help keep these bodies in shape and going in our 'golden years' :-).

My brother is a very skilled personal trainer in New Mexico and swears by them and a lot of pro sports teams are going full tilt for Accelerated Vibration Training (AVT).

Jsut avoid the teeter-totter pivoting style plate versions of this technology. They are general a lot cheaper but also dont work very well for strength building.

The bottomline with a good quality AVT or WBV (whole body vibration) machine that moves in all three planes, but primarily features mostly adjustable height vertical motion... is that they help recruit all three muscle tissue types at once in every positions and during each exercise and that really fatigues the muscle far faster and more thoroughly than most other methodologies ... like just plane free weights by themselves, for example ... and in far shorter time.

Far more bang for the time spent, but it will kick your butt when you do this mostly body-weight resistance based exercises while standing, pushing up off off sitting or laying on the vibration plate surface area.

Its not intended as a replacement for weights, but simply is a great compliment to get the most from your exercise time budget.

Always look for a vibration machine that is physically heavy .. at least 215 pounds and better when its closer to 250lbs to 300lbs total machine weight. Also, make sure it uses strong AC motors ... preferably two per machine ... and not DC motors and that is has flly adjustable Hertz range from at least 30hz to 45hz and preferable up to 50hz.

And like is found on the 3G-Cardio machines, make sure that the plate height can be adjusted in fine increments from 1mm to 4 mm on the fly with the control panel, and not just a 'hi' and 'low' height adjust setting.

You basically get what you pay for with these things, in most cases, though both the 3G-Cardio ACT 5.0 and 6.0 machines are truly killer quality for the dollar deals ...

broncosteven
06-27-2012, 08:00 PM
[B][SIZE="4"] “The power plate training started in the 1960’s with the Russians and their space program. They were finding that their athletes were able to stay in space up to three times longer than the Americans because of their ability to hold on to lean mass and their bone density. We got a plate and it was almost 14 years ago and we started playing with it and realized this can help our athletes.

See how important manned space flight is!

freaking ruskies had to come up with something considering we kicked their butts all the way to the moon and back!

I did start to think Tuten had run his course and with the teams wearing down late in the season year after year I glad they made a change and are getting in step with the times.

Hulamau
06-27-2012, 09:03 PM
See how important manned space flight is!

freaking ruskies had to come up with something considering we kicked their butts all the way to the moon and back!

I did start to think Tuten had run his course and with the teams wearing down late in the season year after year I glad they made a change and are getting in step with the times.

Yep, I'll trade making making it to the moon first, and so far only to do so, anyday, and gladly will throw the Ruskies their Vibration plate invention bone... Everybody has their contributions to make.. however late to the party they might be.

Thanx comrades :)

Cmac821
06-27-2012, 09:10 PM
I have no idea what I just read. Somebody want to explain what the hell a power plate is?

Houshyamama
06-27-2012, 09:16 PM
I have no idea what I just read. Somebody want to explain what the hell a power plate is?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/22624072.jpg

Ratboy
06-27-2012, 09:26 PM
They replaced all equipment with these.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-05/53666950.jpg

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-27-2012, 09:31 PM
This all sounds great. I'll form an opinion on it after the season ends and we see how many hamstrings and muscles were tweaked.

broncocalijohn
06-27-2012, 10:14 PM
This all sounds great. I'll form an opinion on it after the season ends and we see how many hamstrings and muscles were tweaked.

Ok that is fair but Knowshon Moreno doesn't count.

Taco John
06-27-2012, 10:30 PM
It'll be interesting to see if perhaps this new workout regiment will lead to less injuries.

Bacchus
06-27-2012, 11:22 PM
They replaced all equipment with these.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-05/53666950.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fWTBxFocCzg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9C88Ydagh0Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shananahan
06-27-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm jazzed about this commitment the team has made to really go for it the right way in training! it really can result in a stronger more flexible team who, hopefully, is less prone to injury and who recovers faster and more thoroughly when inevitably some do go down.

The working out in larger defensive and offensive groups instead of the same few guys in their on private world working out together makes a lot of sense in building better team connection and camaraderie that should carry over into the season.

Ironically, I'm heading down to Scottsdale from Sedona tomorrow to buy a 3G-Cardio AVT 6.0 for my wife and I to help keep these bodies in shape and going in our 'golden years' :-).

My brother is a very skilled personal trainer in New Mexico and swears by them and a lot of pro sports teams are going full tilt for Accelerated Vibration Training (AVT).

Jsut avoid the teeter-totter pivoting style plate versions of this technology. They are general a lot cheaper but also dont work very well for strength building.

The bottomline with a good quality AVT or WBV (whole body vibration) machine that moves in all three planes, but primarily features mostly adjustable height vertical motion... is that they help recruit all three muscle tissue types at once in every positions and during each exercise and that really fatigues the muscle far faster and more thoroughly than most other methodologies ... like just plane free weights by themselves, for example ... and in far shorter time.

Far more bang for the time spent, but it will kick your butt when you do this mostly body-weight resistance based exercises while standing, pushing up off off sitting or laying on the vibration plate surface area.

Its not intended as a replacement for weights, but simply is a great compliment to get the most from your exercise time budget.

Always look for a vibration machine that is physically heavy .. at least 215 pounds and better when its closer to 250lbs to 300lbs total machine weight. Also, make sure it uses strong AC motors ... preferably two per machine ... and not DC motors and that is has flly adjustable Hertz range from at least 30hz to 45hz and preferable up to 50hz.

And like is found on the 3G-Cardio machines, make sure that the plate height can be adjusted in fine increments from 1mm to 4 mm on the fly with the control panel, and not just a 'hi' and 'low' height adjust setting.

You basically get what you pay for with these things, in most cases, though both the 3G-Cardio ACT 5.0 and 6.0 machines are truly killer quality for the dollar deals ...
This is like reading a post from one of those spambots, except all of the broken English has been replaced with technical jargon and I understand it even less.

canadianbroncosfan
06-28-2012, 12:29 AM
God I hope they go with Crossfit next, just to watch Rev's head exploded.

It sure helped Knowshon last year.

Bronco Yoda
06-28-2012, 02:10 AM
All you need to understand is that they're big bulky machines that will set you back 4-5 grand. ouch

Binkythefrog
06-28-2012, 04:29 AM
It's good that they are trying to change things up. It's obvious training/condition has been a problem that past few years (prior to last year) when the Broncos blew all kinds of late leads, including those awful losses at home to the Bills and 49ers with a playoff berth on the line.

Hopefully this new stuff works out - we'll see results on the field hopefully. I would love to have just one day in that room to train with the new staff.

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-28-2012, 08:12 AM
They played in buffalo and never played the niners. But I get your point

Now I see the prior to this year part. Disregard.

Mountain Bronco
06-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Aren't there medical concerns about the vibrating of the whole body at that rate (Power Plates etc...)? Not that NFL players would care with the health concerns they have, but for the general public?

Garcia Bronco
06-28-2012, 09:22 AM

The "Greek" should have been replaced as well.

Bacchus
06-28-2012, 11:29 AM
They played in buffalo and never played the niners. But I get your point

The loss to the 49ers the day before Darrent Williams was killed.

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-28-2012, 11:41 AM
The loss to the 49ers the day before Darrent Williams was killed.

Gotcha. Probably should've used KC as an example. Several examples enforces his point. Fizzle out at the end of seasons.

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Not sure what to think about these power plates. Hard to believe 10 minutes on them is the same as an hours workout. The cons are Sketchy too. Not liking " potential cartilage damage"

DenverBrit
01-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Not sure what to think about these power plates. Hard to believe 10 minutes on them is the same as an hours workout. The cons are Sketchy too. Not liking " potential cartilage damage"

Haven't heard that, but after reading that NBA teams were using them for flexibility, I bought one a few years ago. It's a great pre-workout routine to improve flexibility and get blood moving to the muscles before any impact or lifting.

Great machines, though 'power-plate' is an expensive brand, there are others.

Irish Stout
01-02-2013, 11:52 AM
This bump did one thing for me. It reminded me about Joe Mays.

baja
01-02-2013, 12:07 PM
http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2011/03/08/power-plate-the-ultimate-whole-body-workout.aspx

http://powerplate.mercola.com

ZONA
01-02-2013, 12:17 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17pnvp8swbxxojpg/medium.jpg