PDA

View Full Version : Headphones discussion -- OT

pandar
06-27-2012, 01:36 AM
There could be a loss of clarity in sound if poor headphones and connecting cables are used. The dynamics and the bass frequencies of the recordings would not be reproduced faithfully, as most headphones are not of good quality. Therefore, the music would not be as impressive to the listeners as the artists want them to be.
That is why you need to use high quality headphones because they can really make a huge difference to the sound. When you use high performance headphones like the cheap beats by dre headphones, what you hear will be identical to what the artists themselves heard when they originally recorded the sound in the studio. Recording artists and DJs are not the only ones that can enjoy studio quality sounds any longer. With the Monster beats by dre, you too can enjoy professional quality sounds right in your living room.

huh??
06-27-2012, 01:45 AM
Wow! That's so amazing! Wonderfully worded, too. It totally didn't even sound like some lame-assed sales pitch. It's entirely possible that I might have learned something new from such a non selling point! I think I might ditch my yucky ol' Bose headphones and take me a good ol' clicky here on one o' dem dere colored link thingamajigs!:thumbs:

Doggcow
06-27-2012, 02:00 AM
Why anyone would buy Beats is beyond me anyway. They're ****. Especially when you can save tons on Sennheiser or AKG

Rother8
06-27-2012, 02:06 AM
Just shows you the probable IQ of the average "beats by dre" headphone consumer.
What a joke things are, at least get some real **** to spam.

canadianbroncosfan
06-27-2012, 04:06 AM
How would my Beats by Dre headphones sound on my I-POD?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-27-2012, 06:51 AM
Just shows you the probable IQ of the average "beats by dre" headphone consumer.
What a joke things are, at least get some real **** to spam.

What it really shows is that if you've got a huge ad budget and enough backing to get placement with celebrities, you'll fool a lot of our celebrity-focused idiot culture to buy in without thinking twice.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Beats headphones only sound good if you hook everything up with gold plated monster cables.

Kaylore
06-27-2012, 07:13 AM
Beats headphones only sound good if you hook everything up with gold plated monster cables.

:~ohyah!:

maher_tyler
06-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Are they really that crappy? I see A LOT of people using them. A guy that comes to the gym has a pair and it sounds like a concert coming out of those things...

Ray Finkle
06-27-2012, 07:27 AM
I'd rather have the ear buds then those giant ear muff head phones....

I said muff.....

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-27-2012, 07:31 AM
Are they really that crappy? I see A LOT of people using them. A guy that comes to the gym has a pair and it sounds like a concert coming out of those things...

They're alright, but they're not Sennheisers and they're not Klipsch, and they're not Denon and they're not AKG. Any one of those brands will give you more punch and better quality (and more value for your money) than Beats By Dre.

Beats are a fashion accessory. My AKG studios are for work.

Rother8
06-27-2012, 09:11 AM
What it really shows is that if you've got a huge ad budget and enough backing to get placement with celebrities, you'll fool a lot of our celebrity-focused idiot culture to buy in without thinking twice.

Nailed it.

Signed,
My 50+ year old mother watches keeping up with the kardashians and suddenly has an over-exaggerated cu*ty dialect and wears thick sunglasses.
I also work retail and sell many "snap-back" hats to kids wearing YOLO and YMCMB clothing- all matching of course.

It's fairly humorous when you see it in small doses but I've been soci-raped. Thanks, MSM/idiots!

Irish Stout
06-27-2012, 09:32 AM
They're alright, but they're not Sennheisers and they're not Klipsch, and they're not Denon and they're not AKG. Any one of those brands will give you more punch and better quality (and more value for your money) than Beats By Dre.

And they're not Bose. And they're expensive as hell. And they don't have strong reviews. http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/monster-beats-pro-high/4852-7877_7-34210289.html

BroncoBeavis
06-27-2012, 09:38 AM

I really love listening to local salespeople give me the pitch on how the gold plating on that $100 6ft HDMI cable improves the quality of my video. It's almost like a hobby.

ghwk
06-27-2012, 09:54 AM
I really love listening to local salespeople give me the pitch on how the gold plating on that $100 6ft HDMI cable improves the quality of my video. It's almost like a hobby.

It's a joke buy from monoprice and save yourself a bundle.

BroncoBeavis
06-27-2012, 09:57 AM
It's a joke buy from monoprice and save yourself a bundle.

I know. $7 hdmi cables from Amazon is all I use.

But I'm guessing 90% of electronics salesdudes don't have a clue. The other 10% are probably on commission. :)

Kaylore
06-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Hey now! A Digital signal sounds cleaner when the gold plating is on the cable.

Here, compare:
Below the cheapo Amazon binary

And now the $70 Monster cable stupid white people will throw money at to brag about their sound system:

As you can see, the binary will read in impact font. This will make the receiver try harder and read it louder and cleaner.

It's simple science.

snowspot66
06-27-2012, 10:14 AM
I know. $7 hdmi cables from Amazon is all I use.

But I'm guessing 90% of electronics salesdudes don't have a clue. The other 10% are probably on commission. :)

You're pretty much correct. Margins on electronics are so small that often the store is just breaking even or losing money. They sales guys HAVE to offer those things or lose their job but there are often incentives for them if they sell it as well. Some stores have better offers than others and it depends on what you are buying. It's not always a rip off.

Unless it's an HDMI cable. That's always a ripoff.

BroncoBeavis
06-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Hey now! A Digital signal sounds cleaner when the gold plating is on the cable.

Here, compare:
Below the cheapo Amazon binary

And now the $70 Monster cable stupid white people will throw money at to brag about their sound system:

As you can see, the binary will read in impact font. This will make the receiver try harder and read it louder and cleaner.

It's simple science.

Receivers just want to be shown some respect. Of course they work harder knowing how much you care.

BroncoBeavis
06-27-2012, 10:19 AM
You're pretty much correct. Margins on electronics are so small that often the store is just breaking even or losing money. They sales guys HAVE to offer those things or lose their job but there are often incentives for them if they sell it as well. Some stores have better offers than others and it depends on what you are buying. It's not always a rip off.

Unless it's an HDMI cable. That's always a ripoff.

Yeah, back in the analog days, at least there was an argument to be had. It never justified the expense (to me) but it was based on some little kernel of reality at least.

I guess they can still try to sell me stuff on the analog backend for an amped signal. Although I'm still most likely to use lamp cord. :)

But I'd never buy from a salesperson who knowingly pushes the hdmi cables just because of commission. Almost criminal.

JCMElway
06-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Wow, I was gonna delete this thread, but it's actually turned into a decent conversation. Huh.

Carry on you headphoners.....

huh??
06-27-2012, 10:44 AM
My wife's cousin worked at Best Buy for a little while and said that the mark up on HDMI cables is FANTASTIC. Pure profit.

Understandibly, I'm overstating the obvious...

maher_tyler
06-27-2012, 11:06 AM
For the same price, what would anyone recommend? Beats are expensive as hell. I have a pair of Bose ear buds but kinda want a pair of ear muffs...

JCMElway
06-27-2012, 11:09 AM
How would my Beats by Dre headphones sound on my I-POD?

mmmm....Ham-pod......

Dr. Broncenstein
06-27-2012, 11:52 AM
You'll never get the high fidelity bass you are looking for without the TK421 modification. Kicks it up 3-4 quads per channel and makes you want to freaky deaky.

Mogulseeker
06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Why anyone would buy Beats is beyond me anyway. They're ****. Especially when you can save tons on Sennheiser or AKG

Agreed. I just bought a pair of Bowers and Wilkins P5s - they put beats by Dre to shame.

DBroncos4life
06-27-2012, 12:03 PM
You'll never get the high fidelity bass you are looking for without the TK421 modification. Kicks it up 3-4 quads per channel and makes you want to freaky deaky.

Lol at boogie nights

Boobs McGee
06-27-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I only use the Unicornblood-plated Monster Cables to get the best sound. They might be a little pricier, but for an audiophile like me it's totally worth the dough.

Kaylore
06-27-2012, 12:28 PM

We're talking about Hi and Fi.

Houshyamama
06-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Beats are not as bad as people make them out to be. That being said, there are countless other superior products at that price point.

They are good at blasting you with a lot of bass, but that's about it. It's not even accurate bass, it's just a lot of it.

Houshyamama
06-27-2012, 12:33 PM
And they're not Bose. And they're expensive as hell. And they don't have strong reviews. http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/monster-beats-pro-high/4852-7877_7-34210289.html

Wait, you're not advocating FOR Bose are you? Just concerned here...

Boobs McGee
06-27-2012, 12:45 PM

I've felt BOSE is overpriced, but after the portable wireless stereo thread, when I bought my Soundlink, I'm pretty damn happy. Had it for a couple months now, and haven't seen/heard anything CLOSE in terms of functionality/ sound quality. Top notch product (a tad overpriced, but it's pretty unique).

scorpio
06-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Not a fan of Bose in general, but they do make the only pair of earbuds that will actually stay in my ear while I workout

http://www.bose.com/assets/images/shop_online/ie2_headphones/ie2_headphones_bh_lg.jpg

Love my Sennheisers for everything else.

Houshyamama
06-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Yeah Bose makes a good product, but it's overpriced. When you buy Bose you're paying quite a bit extra for the brand.

Houshyamama
06-27-2012, 01:08 PM
I've felt BOSE is overpriced, but after the portable wireless stereo thread, when I bought my Soundlink, I'm pretty damn happy. Had it for a couple months now, and haven't seen/heard anything CLOSE in terms of functionality/ sound quality. Top notch product (a tad overpriced, but it's pretty unique).

I didn't know about this product, interesting.

Broncos4tw
06-27-2012, 01:13 PM
I use the Sennheiser PC 360 for multi-purpose use (music, voip, gaming) - just an amazing set of cans.

For gym, I use the cheapest pair of 5 buck behind the ear headphones. I beat the hell out of them.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-27-2012, 02:10 PM
We're talking about Hi and Fi.

Those are two very important things to have in your stereo system.

maher_tyler
06-27-2012, 02:19 PM

Had a group of people working out on the gym floor with some music playing fairly loud. Was expecting a decent sized speaker. I get out there and its one of them small Bose speakers with the iPod dock. I was fairly surprised/impressed...

Can someone provide a good link to buy a quality set of headphones with out having to spend $150, thanks.

broncocalijohn
06-27-2012, 02:30 PM
My wife's cousin worked at Best Buy for a little while and said that the mark up on HDMI cables is FANTASTIC. Pure profit.

Understandibly, I'm overstating the obvious...

I will spam here and let you all know that I buy returned items from best buy and have boxes of cables (HDMI) and get headphones. Those Uprock and Hesh Skullcandy sell pretty easy. They probably don't last as long but people like them. Turtle beach are pretty good I assume for gaming and have sold a few of those. I need to get the upgraded Klipsch and Bose but those are in much more expensive lots. If you need a Polk audio Black floor speaker 70 Series 2, I have 1 left (just sold two of them for $185 each).

SPAM A LOT!

Irish Stout
06-27-2012, 02:32 PM

Not exactly. Mostly just including them in the list of superior headphones. I am advocating Bose over Beats by Dre. But Bose is expensive. I've listened to Bose headphones, but would not buy them because I am a cheapskate.

That being said, Bose products have typically amazed me with their sound quality.

Popps
06-27-2012, 03:36 PM
OP: Cheap Nikes or GTFO.

broncosteven
06-27-2012, 04:46 PM

I have had high end Sennheiser and AKG's but I really love the pair I have now. Sony MDR-7509HD.

The thing is I only use my good head phones for recording or listening to to my home audio system late after the kids have gone to bed. I use the cheapo earbuds for ipod because it is a crappy audio quality to begin with and the concept is small form factor and portability so wearing cans that are 10 times the form factor of the device is kinda lame.

I look at the ipod as today's walkman and just be grateful I can listen to music while walking or gardening. For real listening I have the Hi Fi to quote Kahn.

Pendejo
06-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Yeah Bose makes a good product, but it's overpriced. When you buy Bose you're paying quite a bit extra for the brand.

I agree, but I'm still thrilled with the acoustimass speakers I bought over a decade ago. They aren't high end, but they sound great.

I recently purchased a cheap pair of Sennheiser earbuds from amazon, and couldn't be happier.

Hah! Cheap, and low end is a theme with me.

As to the original post...I'm just here for the dick pills.

Ironlung
06-27-2012, 05:42 PM
I stick with Klipsch. For home, and headphones. They are hard to beat.

rmsanger
06-27-2012, 05:49 PM
GTFO with Beats, Bose, or frankly anything else sold at BB... They are all garbage

AKG Q701

http://www.cobrason.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/a/k/akg_q701_white_1_1.jpg

Denon D2000
http://headphile.com/dd2.jpg

Beyerdynamic T70

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0109/5672/products/t70.jpg?1151

The Q701's have great mids/highs, D2000 have great low to Mids, T70 are closed cans and create a great sound stage and isolation.

You could also check out Senn HD600 or 650's which are very neutral and all around performers.

Boobs McGee
06-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Haven't been in the headphone game in a while...does Koss still produce nice stuff? I remember about ten years ago, I splurged (high school kid, $150, LOTS of money at the time for me haha) on a really nice set.

Have they gone by the wayside?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-27-2012, 05:58 PM
I have had high end Sennheiser and AKG's but I really love the pair I have now. Sony MDR-7509HD.

The thing is I only use my good head phones for recording or listening to to my home audio system late after the kids have gone to bed. I use the cheapo earbuds for ipod because it is a crappy audio quality to begin with and the concept is small form factor and portability so wearing cans that are 10 times the form factor of the device is kinda lame.

I look at the ipod as today's walkman and just be grateful I can listen to music while walking or gardening. For real listening I have the Hi Fi to quote Kahn.

My favorite pair of studio cans are Sony. I worked in radio for 6-7 years when I graduated from college, then moved on (but I'm thinking of going back) so this thread is strangely interesting to me. Thank you, Spambot!

Now, one of my clients runs a music service; they sell a lot of hip hop beats to artists all over the world through their database, and I do the promo for their beats, the social media behind it, etc. So I use my Sony cans when I'm working on that stuff, mostly to clear out background noise and really hear what I'm listening to. I also take 'em on trips, as they're great to shut out the noise and watch a movie on the iPad with.

Dutch
06-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Hilarious the way this thread started!:rofl: Just wanted to give a shout out to my boys up in Montana: Headroom.
http://www.headphone.com/index.php
These guys are good peoples who know their stuff. Very cool to deal with, and awesome prices. I think headphones (or any speakers for that matter) tend to be a personal preference deal. What I like in sound may not appeal to others and vice-versa. That said, I've been using Etymonic Reasearch ER6i's for several years now on my iPod/Pad and love 'em. They are constructed to help out the lack of bottom and "roundness" in the iDevices. Great canal phones for a real reasonable price (under $100). I was able to use credit card points on a pair of Bose QuietComfort 3 noise cancelling on ear headphones a couple of years ago. I picked them up as my wife and I were doing quite a bit of long distance flying. Fantastic. Reduces the fatigue from flying by a huge amount. Especially on international flights. I was amazed when I found out the retail price on them, $300 Yikes! Never would have dropped that kind of coin on them, but really glad we have them.

Doggcow
06-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Dre doesn't even use Beats to mix, because he's not a ****ing moron. He uses AKG's lol

broncosteven
06-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Dre doesn't even use Beats to mix, because he's not a ****ing moron. He uses AKG's lol

I am guessing someone is listening to end mixes on earbuds and/or car speakers or boomboxes to make sure it sounds as uniform as possible. I bet they use what the studio has so everyone is hearing the same thing. It could be AKG depends...

Mogulseeker
06-27-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm surprised I'm still the only one who has mentioned Bowers & Wilkins.

broncosteven
06-27-2012, 08:45 PM
My favorite pair of studio cans are Sony. I worked in radio for 6-7 years when I graduated from college, then moved on (but I'm thinking of going back) so this thread is strangely interesting to me. Thank you, Spambot!

Now, one of my clients runs a music service; they sell a lot of hip hop beats to artists all over the world through their database, and I do the promo for their beats, the social media behind it, etc. So I use my Sony cans when I'm working on that stuff, mostly to clear out background noise and really hear what I'm listening to. I also take 'em on trips, as they're great to shut out the noise and watch a movie on the iPad with.

I was kinda skeptical about switching to Sony at 1st but my AKG's fell apart and I had to do something, They did last about 8 years but I was careful with them and they didn't get dropped so when the cover fell off and the foam started falling out and crumbling I decided to look around.

I tried out the closed Sony cans and loved them then shopped around and have been happy with the purchase. Plus they collapse up into a small bag and have a gold screw on adapter to go mini or stereo plug. I have had them a couple years already and they are like new. I dropped over $250 on them though but worth it for what I use them for.

maher_tyler
06-28-2012, 06:53 AM
Hilarious the way this thread started!:rofl: Just wanted to give a shout out to my boys up in Montana: Headroom.
http://www.headphone.com/index.php
These guys are good peoples who know their stuff. Very cool to deal with, and awesome prices. I think headphones (or any speakers for that matter) tend to be a personal preference deal. What I like in sound may not appeal to others and vice-versa. That said, I've been using Etymonic Reasearch ER6i's for several years now on my iPod/Pad and love 'em. They are constructed to help out the lack of bottom and "roundness" in the iDevices. Great canal phones for a real reasonable price (under $100). I was able to use credit card points on a pair of Bose QuietComfort 3 noise cancelling on ear headphones a couple of years ago. I picked them up as my wife and I were doing quite a bit of long distance flying. Fantastic. Reduces the fatigue from flying by a huge amount. Especially on international flights. I was amazed when I found out the retail price on them, $300 Yikes! Never would have dropped that kind of coin on them, but really glad we have them.

Thanks for the link! Great website!

Dutch
06-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the link! Great website!

Glad you like it! Real good guys. Their amps are the bomb.

DomCasual
06-28-2012, 02:55 PM
I'll jump in here.

My good friend is the guy at Ernst & Young who oversaw Skull Candy's IPO.

broncocalijohn
06-28-2012, 04:02 PM
I'll jump in here.

My good friend is the guy at Ernst & Young who oversaw Skull Candy's IPO.

SC makes products easy to sell for me but I wouldnt say they are high end either. They do have a great marketing department.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-28-2012, 04:54 PM
SC makes products easy to sell for me but I wouldnt say they are high end either. They do have a great marketing department.

Yeah, they're not high end, but they're not that expensive either, are they? I bought a pair of drop-ins for my ski helmet, and those things work beautifully; only problem is the button/volume controller's clip took about two days of hard skiing to break off. Not the worst thing in the world, and they sound good, so it doesn't matter that much to me.