PDA

View Full Version : New Manning commercial

Bacchus
06-26-2012, 12:59 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20937408/peyton-manning-goes-bat-buick-new-television-commercial

Buick, I have been looking at maybe buying a Buick Regal, they went down in price and they look very sharp.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/images/media/images/di_2012-buick-regal-gs_th1/2544286-1-eng-US/di_2012-buick-regal-gs_th1.jpg

What mid-size car are you looking at?

I try to buy American and it seems this Buick is nicer than a Honda Accord or Neisan Maxima. Of course they have better re-sale value although Buick's ain't too shabby.

Beantown Bronco
06-26-2012, 01:12 PM
If I was in the market right now for a midsize, I'd take a hard look at the new Kia Optima. Can buy one new with some decent options for around $17K, or lease it for 3 years and total payments of under $5K ($3K down, $50 a month).

I like inexpensive cars with nice warranties. And it's made in America.

I used to be a strictly toyota guy, but they drove me away with all the problems they were having a few years back. My last few from them were not up to their usual standards. Grew too fast and let their quality slip IMO.

Garcia Bronco
06-26-2012, 01:18 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20937408/peyton-manning-goes-bat-buick-new-television-commercial

Buick, I have been looking at maybe buying a Buick Regal, they went down in price and they look very sharp.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/images/media/images/di_2012-buick-regal-gs_th1/2544286-1-eng-US/di_2012-buick-regal-gs_th1.jpg

I try to buy American and it seems this Buick is nicer than a Honda Accord or Neisan Maxima. Of course they have better re-sale value although Buick's ain't too shabby.

My great grandmother approves

Pseudofool
06-26-2012, 01:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/qWUyE.jpg
Jay Cutler's still hocking cats.

Mogulseeker
06-26-2012, 01:32 PM

I HAVE an '03 Passat, and I'm holding out for the Audi A8.

Houshyamama
06-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Buick?

No.

THIS is a real car.

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/bmw/m3/ns/bmw_m3_f34_ns_110711_717.jpg

Seriously though stay away from Buick if you can. Check out the Ford Fusion and the Kia Optima.

BroncoBen
06-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Buick?

No.

THIS is a real car.

Seriously though stay away from Buick if you can. Check out the Ford Fusion and the Kia Optima.

BMW ?? What happened to buying American ..

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-26-2012, 01:59 PM

Woah that's a large upgrade to the max.

ColoradoDarin
06-26-2012, 02:01 PM

BMW has a rather large facility just outside of Spartanburg, SC. Honda, Toyota and Hyundai have plants all over the US...

bronco militia
06-26-2012, 02:01 PM
I finally ditched GM for Honda. I can't imagine ever going back.

orangeatheist
06-26-2012, 02:14 PM

Still driving around my 1999 Civic. Runs like a champ. All I've done is change the oil, had the brake pads replaced twice (second time was two weeks ago), replaced the battery once, and got a new timing belt at 10 years just to be safe.

Also have my 2004 Toyota Matrix which I bought in Oct. of 03. Done nothing to it but change the oil.

(My brother's driving around my dad's 1994 Toyota Camry. Think just oil changes, battery, brakes and timing belt on that one. We've been a Honda/Toyota family for a couple of decades now and I can't ever see buying anything else.)

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-26-2012, 02:15 PM

I think it depends on the GM model. I've owned Tahoes since 94 when they had the 2 doors. Never had any problems and plowed through snow on a consistent basis. Watching the weekend warriors get tangled up in their chains on the side of the road.

peacepipe
06-26-2012, 02:32 PM
BMW has a rather large facility just outside of Spartanburg, SC. Honda, Toyota and Hyundai have plants all over the US...regardless,better to support an american company than to support a foriegn company.

Taco John
06-26-2012, 02:37 PM

THis. I have a Honda Accord I'm selling now. My wife and I drove it for nearly 20 years now, and it's been a great vehicle with very, very little time in the shop.

yerner
06-26-2012, 02:42 PM
THis. I have a Honda Accord I'm selling now. My wife and I drove it for nearly 20 years now, and it's been a great vehicle with very, very little time in the shop.

yeah, i drove a civic for a long time. loved that car, but it is a bit like driving a automatic lawnmower with less power and noise.

Beantown Bronco
06-26-2012, 02:47 PM
regardless,better to support an american company than to support a foriegn company.

The problem is, most people can't tell which is which. Those that think they know what an American company is often are mistaken. As are those that think they know what a foreign company is.

More "foreign" car companies are opening up factories in the US than "domestic" companies, with more employment of US folks than ever before.

And to the "well, all of x's profits go back to Japan/Korea/etc." arguments, this too is false. These are all public companies. The profits go to the shareholders.

Boobs McGee
06-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Compact - The new Ford Focus is amazing. Used 2012's for under 20k fully loaded.

Mid Size - The new impreza is incredible...AWD and 34 highway. GREAT leases. The sonata and optima are both great values as well, and in terms of luxury, it's pretty tough to beat an infiniti for their price/perfomance combination.

I will say this, there are a BUNCH of great deals out there to be had right now...fun time to be in the car business.

ColoradoDarin
06-26-2012, 02:50 PM
regardless,better to support an american company than to support a foriegn company.

Actually, we'll 'support' ourselves first, if that happens to be an "American" vehicle, so be it, if not, so be it.

Bacchus
06-26-2012, 02:57 PM
If I was in the market right now for a midsize, I'd take a hard look at the new Kia Optima. Can buy one new with some decent options for around $17K, or lease it for 3 years and total payments of under $5K ($3K down, $50 a month).

I like inexpensive cars with nice warranties. And it's made in America.

I used to be a strictly toyota guy, but they drove me away with all the problems they were having a few years back. My last few from them were not up to their usual standards. Grew too fast and let their quality slip IMO.

I think the new Kia's are sharp, but I would have to remove the Kia logo from the car.

As far as the thread was about affordable midsize cars. Audis and BMWs need not apply!! lol

55CrushEm
06-26-2012, 02:57 PM

Yeah. 2 years ago, I bought another Honda Accord to get me back and forth to/from work....2010 EX-L V6. Got it for $23K.....

I would suggest the internet buying. They usually offer you a no-haggle quote. And this price beat anything I found anywhere.....I even went to the largest Honda dealer in New England....they claim to "never lose a sale due to price". They wouldn't even match the quote......:giggle:

Last year (1 year after I bought it)....the trade-in Kelly Blue Book value was still higher than what I paid.

Yeeehaaaa.

Bacchus
06-26-2012, 03:00 PM
I have been reading that the quality of American cars has never been better than it is now. That is a great statement. I'm glad to see we can compete with other countries. the 80's American cars got ****ty, the 90's the Japanese passed us and in the 2000's we started to make our comeback. I feel we are close to the same level as the Japanese and Koreans on many aspects. The durability of American cars has gotten much better and so has the resale value.

BroncoMan4ever
06-26-2012, 03:00 PM

with cars made in america only means assembled in america. for the most part all the components in the car are imported.

lolcopter
06-26-2012, 03:28 PM
The Buick regal is assembled in Canada

American cars made in America? LOL

lolcopter
06-26-2012, 03:29 PM

**** that noise. If they weren't such ****ty companies in the first place they wouldn't need government bailouts

Let them fail

Not to mention they fact that GM is about American as McDonald's .. They are multinational companies, they don't give a **** about this country, only $$$ and the bottom line

55CrushEm
06-26-2012, 03:39 PM
If they weren't such ****ty companies in the first place they wouldn't need government bailouts

Let them fail

This. New companies will take their place.

lonestar
06-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Have a 97 Civic with the VST gets 35+ mpg in town.. loads of miles on it and virtually no problems other than brakes and having to use a special tranny fuild in it at $8 a quart.. Thank God it only needs to be replaced every 70k miles..

Also have a 02 Mustang GT convertible not good MPG but is fun to drive.

2006 Volvo turbo that is all one could want for a sedan.. Plenty of get up and do it.. about 25 MPG highway..

about to get a 2011 Audi A5 to drive for awhile, looking forward to it.. Afraid of what it will be to replace the tires on it though..

Bacchus
06-26-2012, 03:44 PM
The Buick regal is assembled in Canada

American cars made in America? LOL

Made in North America....duh. lol

I found this report the Buick Regal finished 3rd out of 19 upscale midsize cars.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Buick_Regal/

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Never again will I buy a GM vehicle. Never again.

The first car I bought out of college was a brand new '01 Pontiac Grand Am. I got the 0% financing, and before I was done paying it off, the ****er tossed a rod and I had to have the engine rebuilt. That was in '05. 40k miles or so.

Never, ever again. I've got a Subaru now, and I may never drive another brand of vehicle (although that Kia Optima is HELLA sharp, roomy, comfortable, and economical. Hard to pass that up).

Houshyamama
06-26-2012, 04:28 PM

The first car I bought out of college was a brand new '01 Pontiac Grand Am. I got the 0% financing, and before I was done paying it off, the ****er tossed a rod and I had to have the engine rebuilt. That was in '05. 40k miles or so.

Never, ever again. I've got a Subaru now, and I may never drive another brand of vehicle (although that Kia Optima is HELLA sharp, roomy, comfortable, and economical. Hard to pass that up).

Stopped reading after the word HELLA, good thing it was near the end because it wasn't a bad post up until then.

hades
06-26-2012, 04:33 PM
I've been a Ford guy for a long time, and when I did stray, it was a short period and I returned to Ford. Always had pretty good luck with them.

peacepipe
06-26-2012, 04:41 PM
I've been driving dodge & jeep vehicles for yrs and never had any problems. my mom used to drive toyotas & is switching to ford,which didn't get a bail out. I'll likely be trading my jeep either for a ford fusion or possibly another jeep.

Jetmeck
06-26-2012, 05:08 PM
BMW has a rather large facility just outside of Spartanburg, SC. Honda, Toyota and Hyundai have plants all over the US...

they are not american companies.......where does the money end up ?
exactly...............

SouthStndJunkie
06-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Been driving my 1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Limited for what seems like forever.

Still looks and runs awesome.....starting to get a little rust on the bumper, but none on the body. I'll take that for being 16 years old and not being parked indoors for the last 11 years.

I've got about 180,000 miles on it.

Even when I get something newer in a few years, I'll keep it around as a winter/hauling stuff around vehicle.

lonestar
06-26-2012, 05:13 PM
I've been a Ford guy for a long time, and when I did stray, it was a short period and I returned to Ford. Always had pretty good luck with them.

Never owned a Ford until my Mustang GT nice car with a killer sound system..

My brother will not but anything but Ford products and John Deere..

Jetmeck
06-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Been driving my 1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Limited for what seems like forever.

Still looks and runs awesome.....starting to get a little rust on the bumper, but none on the body. I'll take that for being 16 years old and not being parked indoors for the last 11 years.

I've got about 180,000 miles on it.

Even when I get something newer in a few years, I'll keep it around as a winter/hauling stuff around vehicle.

yep and our 00 Dodge Caravan has 275,000 miles and still running strong and last Chevy I owned had 225,000 when I sold it..................so whats your point ?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Stopped reading after the word HELLA, good thing it was near the end because it wasn't a bad post up until then.

Heh.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7pohEb7DUac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-26-2012, 05:38 PM
yep and our 00 Dodge Caravan has 275,000 miles and still running strong and last Chevy I owned had 225,000 when I sold it..................so whats your point ?

Neat. You've managed to have two outliers.

Fact is, the quality has taken a dive since the turn of the century, and people have flocked to more affordable, more-reliable options.

It's great that you want to support American companies. Some of us have been burned before, and we've looked elsewhere with our business. That's the point of a free market, correct?

El Guapo
06-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Buick?

No.

THIS is a real car.

On what basis? Just the fact that "people who drive Buicks are old?" Buick has done a great job in the past couple of years differentiating themselves from that.

As far as the BMW goes; while it may be a great car it's boring because everyone has one. What fun is that?

El Guapo
06-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Neat. You've managed to have two outliers.

Fact is, the quality has taken a dive since the turn of the century, and people have flocked to more affordable, more-reliable options.

It's great that you want to support American companies. Some of us have been burned before, and we've looked elsewhere with our business. That's the point of a free market, correct?

So your engine threw a rod, um, I don't know how to tell you but that happens with all car companies. Cars have problems from time-to-time and need to be taken in for repair. I used to work in the industry and have heard plenty of horror stories from ALL of the manufacturers. My favorite was a toyota having its airbags randomly deploy as someone was cruising down a highway. :rofl:

Point is, **** happens. If that were to happen today on your pontiac it would have a 100,000 powertrain warranty. Problem solved. I've got an 08 Pontiac G8 that I absolutely love and I've never had one problem with it (knock on wood). Not only that, but it's a v8 powerhouse and I love cutting off priuses and other "green" vehicles.

BTW, Buick is the #1 car company in China. The chinese looove them some Buick. :)

Houshyamama
06-26-2012, 06:01 PM
On what basis? Just the fact that "people who drive Buicks are old?" Buick has done a great job in the past couple of years differentiating themselves from that.

As far as the BMW goes; while it may be a great car it's boring because everyone has one. What fun is that?

On the basis that Buick hasn't exactly been known for lasting quality. They may be turning things around, but there are much safer bets out there.

And the M3 is a great driving machine:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oMJOACY5xiM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oMJOACY5xiM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-26-2012, 06:22 PM
So your engine threw a rod, um, I don't know how to tell you but that happens with all car companies. Cars have problems from time-to-time and need to be taken in for repair. I used to work in the industry and have heard plenty of horror stories from ALL of the manufacturers. My favorite was a toyota having its airbags randomly deploy as someone was cruising down a highway. :rofl:

Point is, **** happens. If that were to happen today on your pontiac it would have a 100,000 powertrain warranty. Problem solved. I've got an 08 Pontiac G8 that I absolutely love and I've never had one problem with it (knock on wood). Not only that, but it's a v8 powerhouse and I love cutting off priuses and other "green" vehicles.

BTW, Buick is the #1 car company in China. The chinese looove them some Buick. :)

Not at 40,000 miles they don't. Or shouldn't.

It wasn't the first problem. It was the final straw.

maher_tyler
06-26-2012, 06:49 PM

I've owned nothing but GM. Not one problem outside of normal wear and tear. I had a 03 Cavalier, 98 Silverado, 06 Impala and currently a 06 GMC Sierra. Also, my wife and I just bought a Cruze Eco...26 city 39 hwy. Great car, couldn't be more happy! Thing is...every brand has a lemon out there, you just hope you don't buy it. It is also why you always spend a little extra for an extended warranty.

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-26-2012, 06:57 PM
BMWs Audis and MBs are temperamental cars. Some repair facilities refuse to even work on them due to the requirement of "clean rooms". You get a nice sheen of orange peel with a new BMW. If fact, the training for BMW waterborne paints require the painter to paint it with orange peel.

Orange peeled paint looks real good. Not.

hades
06-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Never owned a Ford until my Mustang GT nice car with a killer sound system..

My brother will not but anything but Ford products and John Deere..

I don't know why, but I love Mustang convertibles. I've had 7 since '94 and will probably trade in my 2010 next year for another.

And yeah, for a stock stereo, the GT's do pretty well. Heck, my wifes F-150 Lariet has a kick azz Sony system that is even better than my Shaker 500, sucks for me since she doesn't even hardly use it.

Dangit, didn't read far enough down. You are %100 corrrect on crappy BMW paint Drunken.Broncoholic. I strayed to a BMW 330 Ci for 2 years. A guy I work with got his wife an X3, and both had crap for paint jobs. I mean just flat out horrible! I never once even wanted to Zaino it, and I use Zaino on all my vehicles!

Requiem
06-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Mustangs, yawn.

Bacchus
06-26-2012, 07:36 PM

Those Grand Ams did have a lot of problems.

Bacchus
06-26-2012, 07:37 PM
I've owned nothing but GM. Not one problem outside of normal wear and tear. I had a 03 Cavalier, 98 Silverado, 06 Impala and currently a 06 GMC Sierra. Also, my wife and I just bought a Cruze Eco...26 city 39 hwy. Great car, couldn't be more happy! Thing is...every brand has a lemon out there, you just hope you don't buy it. It is also why you always spend a little extra for an extended warranty.

I drive a 2007 Malibu and I have had zero problems with it. It is time for a change though.

Bacchus
06-26-2012, 07:38 PM
On the basis that Buick hasn't exactly been known for lasting quality. They may be turning things around, but there are much safer bets out there.

And the M3 is a great driving machine:

LOL... the M3 is what $15,000 more than a Regal?? Hardly the same class.

Requiem
06-26-2012, 07:40 PM
I drive a 2007 Malibu and I have had zero problems with it. It is time for a change though.

Time to upgrade to a Geo Metro brother. I know one that is seafoam green and has a moon roof. To most guys, $2,000 dollars. . . but for Bacchus, I make a deal for $1250.

Houshyamama
06-26-2012, 07:43 PM
LOL... the M3 is what $15,000 more than a Regal?? Hardly the same class.

That's why I said "Seriously though..."

Hulamau
06-26-2012, 08:46 PM

Smart dreaming Mightysmurf! Audi is the way to go ... All those quality improvements that have trickled down from what is now 11 wins in the last 13 years at the 24 hours at Le Mans race! As of last weekend Audi made it 11 out of 13 and three years in a row, with Audi coming in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the 2012 LeMans, and both 1st and 2nd place were won by two of the worlds first hybrid LMP1 racers ... the Audi R18 E-tron Quattro ! Such experience has paid major dividends for Audi quality and performance.

Love this 2012 S4 Quattro .. handles like a dream and the 333 supercharged V6 ponys with 312ft/lbs of torgue really pins it when you need it, while riding so smooth and handles like a dream in the mountains, was a great buy with zero regrets!

The A8 is a Star Ship enterprise and the new 2013 S7 is a dream car as well. Audi kills BMW and MB with interior design as well. They have a real flair for delivering a great blend of refinement, excellent workmanship and yet classy comfort .. with not too much of the stiff hard teutonic thing often seen in the more buttoned-down look and feel from a lot of Beemer and Merc interiors.

lonestar
06-26-2012, 09:21 PM
BMWs Audis and MBs are temperamental cars. Some repair facilities refuse to even work on them due to the requirement of "clean rooms". You get a nice sheen of orange peel with a new BMW. If fact, the training for BMW waterborne paints require the painter to paint it with orange peel.

Orange peeled paint looks real good. Not.

the Audi comes with a 100k warranty and maintainance in included.... But that does not cover tires which are about $800 each to replace..

lonestar
06-26-2012, 09:26 PM
I don't know why, but I love Mustang convertibles. I've had 7 since '94 and will probably trade in my 2010 next year for another.

And yeah, for a stock stereo, the GT's do pretty well. Heck, my wifes F-150 Lariet has a kick azz Sony system that is even better than my Shaker 500, sucks for me since she doesn't even hardly use it.

Dangit, didn't read far enough down. You are %100 corrrect on crappy BMW paint Drunken.Broncoholic. I strayed to a BMW 330 Ci for 2 years. A guy I work with got his wife an X3, and both had crap for paint jobs. I mean just flat out horrible! I never once even wanted to Zaino it, and I use Zaino on all my vehicles!

My "stock" audio is the something 1000 the trunk is full of woofers and a 1000 watt amp..
I can put about 4 gallons of milk in it when shopping.. Then is full..

My wife loves it because when you put the top down and dial in the sound the faster you go the louder it gets..

Going to have to replace the top soon and the leather seats are cracking.. The sun here eats cars up..

Have a Car port in the planning stages..

ColoradoDarin
06-26-2012, 09:37 PM
exactly...............

First, HMC (Honda) and TM (Toyota) are traded on the NYSE, so there have plenty of Americans who hold an ownership stake in those (Nissan in OTC I think, Chrysler is privately held by Fiat - so it's no longer an American company). I don't see a difference in "American" ownership of F, GM, HMC and GM, all of whom are traded publicly.

Second, I'm not going subordinate my family to some ethereal "American" ownership. Whoever provides us the best car at the best price gets our business.

So to answer your question, the money ends up in the hand of the workers (American), managers (American), executives (Both American & Japanese/Korean - I don't care enough to look up the accounting docs to see what the split is) and owners (American).

baja
06-26-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm sticker with my Land Cruiser

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-26-2012, 10:19 PM
the Audi comes with a 100k warranty and maintainance in included.... But that does not cover tires which are about $800 each to replace..

That's some expensive rubber.

lonestar
06-26-2012, 10:21 PM
First, HMC (Honda) and TM (Toyota) are traded on the NYSE, so there have plenty of Americans who hold an ownership stake in those (Nissan in OTC I think, Chrysler is privately held by Fiat - so it's no longer an American company). I don't see a difference in "American" ownership of F, GM, HMC and GM, all of whom are traded publicly.

Second, I'm not going subordinate my family to some ethereal "American" ownership. Whoever provides us the best car at the best price gets our business.

So to answer your question, the money ends up in the hand of the workers (American), managers (American), executives (Both American & Japanese/Korean - I don't care enough to look up the accounting docs to see what the split is) and owners (American).

Good post let me add.. the money that is spent buying cars made in the USA turns over at least 7 times for those that get paid here in the US.

that in itself is secondary to who owns the company..

When buying a car I'm looking for quality, if it will last and then best price for those cars in those catagories that I want to buy..

what the car looks like, MPG or is it green mean squat to me..

Most likely it will be built in the USA..

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-26-2012, 10:23 PM
My "stock" audio is the something 1000 the trunk is full of woofers and a 1000 watt amp..
I can put about 4 gallons of milk in it when shopping.. Then is full..

My wife loves it because when you put the top down and dial in the sound the faster you go the louder it gets..

Going to have to replace the top soon and the leather seats are cracking.. The sun here eats cars up..

Have a Car port in the planning stages..

Ya the reds and beige colors don't like the sun. Audis have some great clears on them though. Toyotas not so much. Lol the beige camrys are famous for fading out within a couple years of their born on dates.

lonestar
06-26-2012, 10:26 PM
That's some expensive rubber.

Trying to find less expensive replacements but Pirelli 255/35ZR19/XL 96Y are not just average wheels..

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Trying to find less expensive replacements but Pirelli 255/35ZR19/XL 96Y are not just average wheels..

Ya that's tough. Good luck with that. It's worth it though knowing its for an Audi and not a Metro.

lonestar
06-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Ya the reds and beige colors don't like the sun. Audis have some great clears on them though. Toyotas not so much. Lol the beige camrys are famous for fading out within a couple years of their born on dates.

RED Honda because it was a gift.. so faded now not even worth painting again..

Must GT white so no fading issue there..

Volvo Dark Blue and Audi Gun metal metallic..

I used to be with a car rental company and ordered 2000 + cars a year most were Tan, Light green, Light Blue and white.. All very easy to paint match and they at the time did not fade for the time frame we kept them.

NEVER ordered red unless it was a sexy car.. almost no metallic because at the time they could never be matched the metal flakes always laid differently.

the newer colors I'm told do not have that problem.. with the metal flakes laying a different way..

It used to be the polarity of the car as it was being sprayed..  When it was on the assembly line verses in a paint shop..

lonestar
06-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Ya that's tough. Good luck with that. It's worth it though knowing its for an Audi and not a Metro.

Found some Goodyears at Sams Club of all places that come in less than half of the Pirelli.. Not sure that adhere to the road as well..

That car is like riding a roller coaster, it can corner with the best of them being a Quattro..

Hulamau
06-27-2012, 12:29 AM
I've got Pirelli P6 245-35 on 19" wheels on my new Audi. Like glue heading up to Flagstaff on the steep switchbacks going up Oak Creek Canyon outside of Sedona. Love the way that suspension and drive hug the roads.

ol#7
06-27-2012, 03:53 AM
Ford is the best US auto maker. Quality and price they are really the only one that can consistently compete against the world competition. Granted I drive a Chrysler.

The issue with selling yourself on a multi-national car company that you defend for being made in the US is that they don't pay corporate tax in the US.

Given that I have spent my life working on the taxpayers dime, I would only buy an American made vehicle.

Also, irks me when I see a Soldier driving a foreign made pick-up. If there is one segment that the US builds the best vehicle in, hands down, it is a pick-up.

HorseHead
06-27-2012, 05:44 AM
Does anyone have any info on some of the new Fords...(Fusion, Focus etc.)..

I like the what the company stands for...

ColoradoDarin
06-27-2012, 06:05 AM
Ford is the best US auto maker. Quality and price they are really the only one that can consistently compete against the world competition. Granted I drive a Chrysler.

The issue with selling yourself on a multi-national car company that you defend for being made in the US is that they don't pay corporate tax in the US.

Given that I have spent my life working on the taxpayers dime, I would only buy an American made vehicle.

Also, irks me when I see a Soldier driving a foreign made pick-up. If there is one segment that the US builds the best vehicle in, hands down, it is a pick-up.

The bolded part is flat out untrue. Any profit made in the US is taxed in the US. That's true of any company, not just the auto makers. Otherwise every company in the world would not be incorporated in the US and just do business here (thus to avoid our high corp tax rate).

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-27-2012, 06:44 AM
The bolded part is flat out untrue. Any profit made in the US is taxed in the US. That's true of any company, not just the auto makers. Otherwise every company in the world would not be incorporated in the US and just do business here (thus to avoid our high corp tax rate).

Yep. I knew that didn't sound right.

Cutler4Life
06-27-2012, 06:48 AM
Well the cars are a little different here in England...first they put the steering wheels in wrong, silly Brits. ;D

But Ford, especially the Focus is very popular over here. As for others, well I do see a lot of BMWs, Mercedes in the area I live in (but I also live in vaguely posh neighborhood, so my Honda Civic is a bit lowly by comparison). Not a lot of big vehicles and I rarely see trucks, though there are SUVs. I also see Vauxhalls, Peugots (crappy cars if you ask me), those itty bitty Smart Cars made by Mercedes, MiniCoopers are very popular (made by BMW), also see Volvos, Fiats, VWs quite a bit. Japanese and Korean cars are not as prevalent, but they do pop up, usually Honda, though bizarrely they have a decent amout of those crappy Daewoos that went out of business a few years ago. Also some Hyundai and now Kia is coming out. But if I had to say what is most common: Ford, Vauxhall, BMW (Minis and BMW specific), Audi, and Volkswagon. Also Citroen, Jaguars on occasion. When the wealthy really show off in my neighborhood I've seen a few Aston Martins and a few Ferraris...but generally I was surprised when I got here by the amount of Fords. Those buggers are everywhere. My personal favorites to drive since I've been here (rentals when traveling) are Volkswagon and Audi.

Beantown Bronco
06-27-2012, 07:27 AM
exactly...............

I take it you're not familiar with how public companies work.

Dedhed
06-27-2012, 08:21 AM

There's a big difference between an American Brand and "American made". Toyota trucks are actually more American made than Fords these days.

maher_tyler
06-27-2012, 08:26 AM

The only time i will give Ford credit is when it comes to their Diesel trucks. If i were to ever need a diesel i'd go with Ford. Anything else i'll go with GM every time. Of course i'm a big GM homer...mainly due to the fact that i haven't had any issues with the last 4 i've owned. I also base that off the last few my Dad has owned. My Sierra being the best of the 4. Loaded with everything but a sun/moon roof. I replaced the 6 disk CD changer (in dash) with an Alpine double din deck. Really brings out the best in the Bose system that came with the truck. I've held off on getting a small 8 inch sub for as long as i have because it sounds that good. Love this truck!

lonestar
06-27-2012, 10:04 AM
I've got Pirelli P6 245-35 on 19" wheels on my new Audi. Like glue heading up to Flagstaff on the steep switchbacks going up Oak Creek Canyon outside of Sedona. Love the way that suspension and drive hug the roads.

They do stick like glue but plan on about 12k miles on them before they are shot..

They are made of very soft rubber and therefore wear FAST.. at about 800 a pop you may think compromise on hugging the road..

If your a purist like I used to be then no problem the wife just gets less to spend on chow..

Its called the pirelli diet..

lonestar
06-27-2012, 10:09 AM

One of the reasons I would buy a ford again if I get into teh market is they fixed their issues that hard way by improving their product..

as for the "other " US car companies taking bail out money and not paying it back well that seems sleazy to me..

Hulamau
06-27-2012, 12:09 PM
They do stick like glue but plan on about 12k miles on them before they are shot..

They are made of very soft rubber and therefore wear FAST.. at about 800 a pop you may think compromise on hugging the road..

If your a purist like I used to be then no problem the wife just gets less to spend on chow..

Its called the pirelli diet..

Yeah lonestar, I already factored in the 'Pirelli diet' factor and its worth it for an old geezer like me to get that extra thrill in the corners :thumbsup:

And I'm fully covered on the WAF (wife approval factor) as I mollified her by getting her her own 2012 Audi A4 at the same time... sans Pirelli's .... in a twofer deal at North Scottsdale Audi .. best auto dealer I've ever done business with.

So far, I've got about 4,000 miles on board and very little tread wear at all. These are P6 all season Pirelli low profiles and not the super soft and super low Pirelli Summer 20's so its a decent balance between performance and a nice ride. Those 20s are like Gorilla glue, but do indeed wear quickly and aren't much good in the snow, plus the ride is considerably stiffer and bumpier over less than ideal roads with such low profiles. 255-35 P6's are about right with slick 19inch 5 spoke allows on the S4.

Will see how they hold up around 12k and will shoot you a report. Quattro plus sticky Pirelli's and a slick engine = lots of grins!

Pix of wifey's new A4 ..
http://theopensecret.com/2012AudiA4halfsize.jpg

Cito Pelon
06-27-2012, 01:15 PM
with cars made in america only means assembled in america. for the most part all the components in the car are imported.

I bought a new Tacoma last year (built in San Antonio, TX). There was a window sticker that stated 30% Japan parts (engine and transmission), 70% US and Canada parts.

Interestingly, we were looking at Jeeps and some of them had Mexico made engines and trannys, some of them US made engine and trannys, and Canada parts.

Since then I've been looking at a Tacoma forum, and I see some of them are built in Mexico.

Chrysler is now "owned" by Fiat, were previously "owned" by Mercedes-Benz (managed or "own controlling interest" is a better description). GM owned about 30% of Toyota stock for a long time in return for building that NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA I believe the deal was.

It's a fluid situation. I believe Renault controls the Nissan brand since about 2006 or so. Ford owned the Jaguar and Saab brand for many years, GM owned Opel until recently.

Houshyamama
06-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Well the cars are a little different here in England...first they put the steering wheels in wrong, silly Brits. ;D

But Ford, especially the Focus is very popular over here. As for others, well I do see a lot of BMWs, Mercedes in the area I live in (but I also live in vaguely posh neighborhood, so my Honda Civic is a bit lowly by comparison). Not a lot of big vehicles and I rarely see trucks, though there are SUVs. I also see Vauxhalls, Peugots (crappy cars if you ask me), those itty bitty Smart Cars made by Mercedes, MiniCoopers are very popular (made by BMW), also see Volvos, Fiats, VWs quite a bit. Japanese and Korean cars are not as prevalent, but they do pop up, usually Honda, though bizarrely they have a decent amout of those crappy Daewoos that went out of business a few years ago. Also some Hyundai and now Kia is coming out. But if I had to say what is most common: Ford, Vauxhall, BMW (Minis and BMW specific), Audi, and Volkswagon. Also Citroen, Jaguars on occasion. When the wealthy really show off in my neighborhood I've seen a few Aston Martins and a few Ferraris...but generally I was surprised when I got here by the amount of Fords. Those buggers are everywhere. My personal favorites to drive since I've been here (rentals when traveling) are Volkswagon and Audi.

Having seen every episode of Top Gear, I knew all this already !Booya!

SouthStndJunkie
06-27-2012, 01:40 PM

The point is that I like my vehicle....sounds like you like yours as well....so what was your point?

Tombstone RJ
06-27-2012, 01:48 PM
there's lots of trucks in Wyoming. Trucks and guns. And dirt. Lots of dirt too.

Bacchus
06-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Does anyone have any info on some of the new Fords...(Fusion, Focus etc.)..

I like the what the company stands for...

Found on road dead?

Bacchus
06-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Time to upgrade to a Geo Metro brother. I know one that is seafoam green and has a moon roof. To most guys, $2,000 dollars. . . but for Bacchus, I make a deal for $1250.

What is that about? The Malibu was motortrend car of the year ****er!!:thumbs: :rofl:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-27-2012, 04:27 PM
It's a fluid situation. I believe Renault controls the Nissan brand since about 2006 or so. Ford owned the Jaguar and Saab brand for many years, GM owned Opel until recently.

I think you've got those backwards. I know GM owned Saab, as they had to sell it off in order to get the gov't bailout. Not sure about Opel, but I thought Ford owned that property.

El Guapo
06-27-2012, 04:44 PM
GM did sell off both Saab and Opel (more recently). Saab produced their last car in May as the company that bought them ended up going bankrupt as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/10/saab-fans-save-the-last-9-3/

Broncosman
06-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Buick?

No.

THIS is a real car.

i love this one .that's cool

KillerBronco#76
06-28-2012, 10:37 PM
http://www.automedia.com/new_cars/ford_ranger-super-cab_2011_photos_Truck_Exterior_2-Front-Left.jpg

20+ mpg and it can tow anything I need, manual windows, manual locks, a radio, air conditioning, and steel rims. Engines from Spain, transmissions from Japan, assembled in the Minnesota. All the truck most people ever really need...

Cito Pelon
07-02-2012, 02:07 PM
http://www.automedia.com/new_cars/ford_ranger-super-cab_2011_photos_Truck_Exterior_2-Front-Left.jpg

20+ mpg and it can tow anything I need, manual windows, manual locks, a radio, air conditioning, and steel rims. Engines from Spain, transmissions from Japan, assembled in the Minnesota. All the truck most people ever really need...

Not all that surprising. Like I said I was looking at 2012 Jeeps and with the same powertrain, some of the engines/tranny were made in Mexico, some in the US on the same dealer's lot.

The 2012 Tacoma I see some are assembled in Monterrey, Mexico I believe it is, maybe 35% of them, the rest in San Antonio, but with multiple parts suppliers.

Interesting cheapo item about the Tacoma - no key access to the passenger door. Only the driver side can be opened with the key. Really? Well, I can see the logic, though. Maybe a $5 saving on each unit of 2 million produced. But really Toyota, is your profit margin so thin that you have cut that little corner? Some MBA newbie trying to make his mark to pad his resume probably.

ColoradoDarin
07-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Not all that surprising. Like I said I was looking at 2012 Jeeps and with the same powertrain, some of the engines/tranny were made in Mexico, some in the US on the same dealer's lot.

The 2012 Tacoma I see some are assembled in Monterrey, Mexico I believe it is, maybe 35% of them, the rest in San Antonio, but with multiple parts suppliers.

Interesting cheapo item about the Tacoma - no key access to the passenger door. Only the driver side can be opened with the key. Really? Well, I can see the logic, though. Maybe a $5 saving on each unit of 2 million produced. But really Toyota, is your profit margin so thin that you have cut that little corner? Some MBA newbie trying to make his mark to pad his resume probably.

My 2006 Pilot EX-L is like that too. Only missed it when the battery in my fob went out.

Mogulseeker
07-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Woah that's a large upgrade to the max.

I could get a new car right now, but I'm set on the A8 or the A6 depending on where I am in a couple years. Can't get one of those (yet) on a financial analysist salary, MBA or not. That's why I'm going for series 7 and the CFP right now, and I'm already looking at schools for a PhD in economics. (Based on experience, my connections/network, I'm looking at Daniels at DU, Georgetown, Maryland, GWU, Texas Tech, NYU, and maybe even Harvard, though they generally don't look at Magnas, just the Summas.)

That said, it's really hard to beat Audi in terms of quality unless you want to get into the 100k plus cars.

I love America, but German engineers really have the lead in terms of quality engineering. Capital flight is what it is. I believe in equilibration theory, and as soon as America starts making better cars at a better value, foreign production will stay in top. US cars are getting better though. I had a Ford Fusion as a rental last week and I must say, Ford has really upped its game.