PDA

View Full Version : Guns may not kill people, but

Bacchus
06-24-2012, 02:06 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47934760/ns/us_news-christian_science_monitor/

they do start wildfires:sunshine:

Utah governor: Gun shooters cause too many wildfires

20 blazes set off by weapons this year, officials say, with months of fire season ahead

Some of the wildfires scorching the West this year were sparked by unusual culprits: Gun owners. Or, more specifically, gun shooters.

As with the Dump fire in Utah, which flared hard enough on Friday to force the evacuation of 1,500 homes and 9,000 people, nearly two dozen conflagrations, officials say, have started accidentally by careless target shooters whose bullet sparks touch off dried-up pinon and wild grasses.

Moves to protect gun owners from emergency gun bans is an emerging front in the national debate over gun rights.

In March, a committee in the Colorado legislature killed a proposed bill that would have restricted the state from banning citizen-carry of guns during an emergency. “Common sense dictates that in an emergency situation… guns only make things worse,” a witness from the League of Women Voters told Colorado legislators at a hearing.

broncocalijohn
06-24-2012, 02:13 AM
I say we make them throw the bullets at their targets!

Bacchus
06-24-2012, 03:23 AM
I say we make them throw the bullets at their targets!

LOL..... that would be funny. I do not understand why the laws got so wacky. They can't tell people not to shoot their guns at targets on very dry days?? WTF is up with that? I mean they can still carry their guns for protection, just use some ****ing common sense. This country is going to hell.

gunns
06-24-2012, 06:12 AM
It's a bunch of neanderthals who don't watch the news or think they're above it. This is the most gun crazy state in the nation, with some of the most liberal gun laws. But having started several fires that have burned for days and put numerous people out of their homes and firefighters in danger, I'm hoping the law lays it hard on these guys, they knew the risk. Right now there is a state restriction on shooting, fireworks, even cigarette smoking anywhere outside. It is bone dry.

rugbythug
06-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Welding, Smoking, Lightning, Fireworks, Magnifying Glasses, Flat Tires, Trains, Ball Bearings, Wet Hay Bales.

There is just so much evil in this world

Dr. Broncenstein
06-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Don't forget that guns probably cause lead poisoning of the ground water.... and the muzzle farts almost certainly poke holes in the ozone and/or make more ozone causing global warming. If we don't outlaw all guns the earth is doomed.

Tombstone RJ
06-24-2012, 08:01 AM
It's a bunch of neanderthals who don't watch the news or think they're above it. This is the most gun crazy state in the nation, with some of the most liberal gun laws. But having started several fires that have burned for days and put numerous people out of their homes and firefighters in danger, I'm hoping the law lays it hard on these guys, they knew the risk. Right now there is a state restriction on shooting, fireworks, even cigarette smoking anywhere outside. It is bone dry.

better to prosecute these people than to infringe on everyone's rights due to a few morons.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Wildfires didn't exist before firearms. Just look at the name -- firearm -- what kind of neanderthals want to set their arms on fire? And honestly, how can you not expect to set everything around you on fire when operating such a weapon of mass destruction.

barryr
06-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Carbon dioxide levels are also high, so let's mandate an hour where no one can breathe for an hour a day.

gunns
06-24-2012, 08:33 AM
better to prosecute these people than to infringe on everyone's rights due to a few morons.

It's for a short period of time. I think they will survive not being able to shoot outdoors until we don't have this danger. No one is taking their guns away from them, although the neanderthals that think they are above this should have theirs taken away since they have no common sense. This is Utah. Hell I'm expecting the gun to become the state symbol.

Tombstone RJ
06-24-2012, 08:40 AM
It's for a short period of time. I think they will survive not being able to shoot outdoors until we don't have this danger. No one is taking their guns away from them, although the neanderthals that think they are above this should have theirs taken away since they have no common sense. This is Utah. Hell I'm expecting the gun to become the state symbol.

I bet Utah also has one of the lowest violent crime rates in the nation too. Like I said, prosecute the crap out of these idiots. The thing about laws gunns, is that once they are on the books then they never go away and then these types of laws get compounded into much broader sweeping laws. IMHO.

I bet there are already laws on the books that can be used to prosecute these people who started the fires, laws along the lines of wreckless endangerment of the public, etc.

2KBack
06-24-2012, 08:47 AM
I am skeptical of the accusation that any gun could start a wildfire. I remember the mythbusters where they were trying to start fires with guns as a survival method and failed pretty miserably

Spider
06-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Welding, Smoking, Lightning, Fireworks, Magnifying Glasses, Flat Tires, Trains, Ball Bearings, Wet Hay Bales.

There is just so much evil in this world

I have been in springville utah for a month now ...just how ****ing brilliant do you have to be to shoot aresol cans on a 90 degree day in a patch of weeds? These are the people with guns shooting ....Why should someone have their house burn down cause these ****heads ?

Spider
06-24-2012, 08:56 AM
I am skeptical of the accusation that any gun could start a wildfire. I remember the mythbusters where they were trying to start fires with guns as a survival method and failed pretty miserably

These idiots are shoting. aresol cans and some are using steel. bullets into rocks and weeds...how can they not start a fire ?

Spider
06-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Wildfires didn't exist before firearms. Just look at the name -- firearm -- what kind of neanderthals want to set their arms on fire? And honestly, how can you not expect to set everything around you on fire when operating such a weapon of mass destruction.

You are talking out of your ass until you see how stupid the people of utah are...You really need to pipe down

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-24-2012, 09:31 AM
I say skip the gun happy guys and blame the real person responsible. Mother Nature. Lets fine or even give her jail time for keeping it too dry. How dare she make these dry conditions on MY Earth.

gunns
06-24-2012, 09:43 AM
I bet Utah also has one of the lowest violent crime rates in the nation too. Like I said, prosecute the crap out of these idiots. The thing about laws gunns, is that once they are on the books then they never go away and then these types of laws get compounded into much broader sweeping laws. IMHO.

I bet there are already laws on the books that can be used to prosecute these people who started the fires, laws along the lines of wreckless endangerment of the public, etc.

And that's exactly what should happen, PLUS pay the price for fighting those fires. No one is taking anyone's guns away from them and they can still be used as protection. I fail to see what the big deal is. Do gun owners jones if they can't shoot them off whenever they feel like it? Maybe this "freak out" has to do with other states, Utah is just fine for gun owners. They allow anyone, including absolute morons, to carry one.

Blart
06-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Murders Per 100,000 Citizens:

United States 4.8
Uzbekistan 3.1
Vietnam 1.85
Canada 1.62
Chile 1.33
Egypt 1.24
United Kingdom 1.23
Australia 1.16
Ireland 0.96
Denmark 0.85
Japan (including attempts) 0.83

(all numbers from 2010, wikipedia)

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Murders Per 100,000 Citizens:

United States 4.8
Uzbekistan 3.1
Vietnam 1.85
Canada 1.62
Chile 1.33
Egypt 1.24
United Kingdom 1.23
Australia 1.16
Ireland 0.96
Denmark 0.85
Japan (including attempts) 0.83

(all numbers from 2010, wikipedia)

Now which one of those countries would you want to live in? I'll take the US and it's freedoms over any of those others. Veitnam? Really?

Blart
06-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Now which one of those countries would you want to live in? I'll take the US and it's freedoms over any of those others. Veitnam? Really?

I love the USA, but I'd rather we take our politics back from Denmark, who modeled their society based on ours from the 40's & 50's.

Also, many of those countries allow guns, including Canada. High homicide rates are an indication of something wrong in a society - and it's not gun laws.

houghtam
06-24-2012, 10:26 AM
I love the USA, but I'd rather we take our politics back from Denmark, who modeled their society based on ours from the 40's & 50's.

Also, many of those countries allow guns, including Canada. High homicide rates are an indication of something wrong in a society - and it's not gun laws.

Minus the segregation, of course.

TerrElway
06-24-2012, 10:29 AM
That is a provision of the law here, people that start a fire, regardless of how, can be held liable for the costs of fighting the fire. With a price tag of millions of dollars though I don't see how you would ever collect.

I'm a gun owner, been around them my whole life and I believe people with guns have a greater responsibility to those around them and their safety and to help protect the rights of all other gun owners by NOT being one of those mouth breathing jack wagons who think they can do whatever they want because by God and sonny Jesus we live in America!

Some talk all about freedom to shoot etc. but what about the taxpayers now on the hook for millions? What if my home was threatened because you couldn't be bothered to go to a range or just HAD to shoot at exploding targets? Haven't MY rights been infringed upon now by Cletus the slack jawed yokel shooting whatever, wherever because "it's a free country"?

Freedom doesn't mean freedom from responsibility but to many it seems it does. And ironically, those seem to be the people that do something stupid that gets the idiot politicians to take notice and decide to impose limits.

Have a gun. Have 15 guns. But go to the range when conditions are like this. There's gun ranges everywhere in Utah.

Blart
06-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Minus the segregation, of course.

sexism, racism, yeah. details :p

driver
06-24-2012, 10:36 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47934760/ns/us_news-christian_science_monitor/

they do start wildfires:sunshine:

Utah governor: Gun shooters cause too many wildfires

20 blazes set off by weapons this year, officials say, with months of fire season ahead

Some of the wildfires scorching the West this year were sparked by unusual culprits: Gun owners. Or, more specifically, gun shooters.

As with the Dump fire in Utah, which flared hard enough on Friday to force the evacuation of 1,500 homes and 9,000 people, nearly two dozen conflagrations, officials say, have started accidentally by careless target shooters whose bullet sparks touch off dried-up pinon and wild grasses.

Moves to protect gun owners from emergency gun bans is an emerging front in the national debate over gun rights.

In March, a committee in the Colorado legislature killed a proposed bill that would have restricted the state from banning citizen-carry of guns during an emergency. “Common sense dictates that in an emergency situation… guns only make things worse,” a witness from the League of Women Voters told Colorado legislators at a hearing.

I defy anyone posting on this thread to take a lead bullet fired at anything and draw a spark with it . This is total BULL SQUIRT published by someone with a political agenda.

Spider
06-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Good post terrelway

Spider
06-24-2012, 10:41 AM
I defy anyone posting on this thread to take a lead bullet fired at anything and draw a spark with it . This is total BULL SQUIRT published by someone with a political agenda.

Who said they was only using lead ? Politcal agenda. :rofl:

Spider
06-24-2012, 10:47 AM
I can just see it now ...law passes you cant use steel bullets and you must shoot into a dirt enbankment and you silly righttards will go balistic about gun rights ....you ****ers would arm a retarded kid with a fully automatic gun

gyldenlove
06-24-2012, 11:02 AM

What are you going to prosecute them for? they legally own the weapon, they legally carry the weapon and they legally fire the weapon.

rmsanger
06-24-2012, 11:10 AM
It's not just rednecks shooting their guns; it happens in the hood too. Let's keep it real!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_TWHOxWsqE

Fedaykin
06-24-2012, 11:11 AM

FMJ with a steel jacket.

Of course, there's also the ****ing idiots that use exploding targets because "it's cool!" that are the most likely cause.

http://www.tannerite.com/

http://www.tannerite.com/media/video/tannerite-demonstration/

etc.

Cito Pelon
06-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Good lord. I have never seen a pure lead bullet, they're all jacketed. I've seen some Civil War lead roundballs, though. Are you being channeled by some 1850's guy?

Goobzilla
06-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Yeah, make 'em pay! I think that nutty chick that started the Hayman fire pays like $150/month restitution. Now we just have to hope she lives to be 3,000 years old.

Bacchus
06-24-2012, 03:42 PM

LOL... how many of those countries have you been too?

Jetmeck
06-24-2012, 03:51 PM

hear that and agree but there are a lot of morons out there killing a lot of people............there has to be a happy middle here somewhere. lets start with automatic weapons.......common sense

Bronco Yoda
06-24-2012, 04:04 PM
It's not just rednecks shooting their guns; it happens in the hood too. Let's keep it real!

:rofl:

Jetmeck
06-24-2012, 04:08 PM
I can just see it now ...law passes you cant use steel bullets and you must shoot into a dirt enbankment and you silly righttards will go balistic about gun rights ....you ****ers would arm a retarded kid with a fully automatic gun

funny stuff.............automatic weapon would be what stands out to me...........lol

yep , OBAMA wants your guns except that he hasn't done one thing to infer that...........

Bacchus
06-24-2012, 04:10 PM
hear that and agree but there are a lot of morons out there killing a lot of people............there has to be a happy middle here somewhere. lets start with automatic weapons.......common sense

What is funny.... errrr sad. When Giffords was shot and people found out that the killer used a 30 round extension clip in the gun, sales of these clips skyrocketed. I guess he proved they work good and can kill lots of people without reloading.

BroncsCheer
06-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Not gun related, but fire related

this happened a couple days ago near here

damn train started a fire along the RR bed for 2 miles long

="http://www.nwcn.com/news/idaho?fId=160075285&fPath=/home&fDomain=10227"]http://www.nwcn.com/news/idaho?fId=160075285&fPath=/home&fDomain=10227

broncocalijohn
06-24-2012, 04:15 PM

Why not? They arm you with a semi truck.

Spider
06-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Why not? They arm you with a semi truck.

And you are not armed at all ......lucky us

broncocalijohn
06-24-2012, 04:20 PM

That is a great link. JESUS!

And you are not armed at all ......lucky us

weak sauce.

Spider
06-24-2012, 04:23 PM
That is a great link. JESUS!

weak sauce.

Well as long as your monkey ass is locked up in the basement ......weak sauce is just fine

broncocalijohn
06-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Well as long as your monkey ass is locked up in the basement ......weak sauce is just fine

really, stop. You. Are. Not. Funny.

Spider
06-24-2012, 04:54 PM
really, stop. You. Are. Not. Funny.

Not trying to be funny....

rugbythug
06-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Not trying to be funny....

Your still my favorite short bus driver.

Spider
06-24-2012, 06:39 PM

Thank you and I would like to say you was one of my best riders ...Not counting the time with the cat and vasoline

Boomhauer
06-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Handguns serve one purpose - to kill people. Sometimes that's a very, very good thing.

June 22nd, 2012 - http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2012/06/22/20120622laveen-police-person-shot-critical-abrk.html
-snips- "The boy was home with his three siblings, ranging in age from 8 to 12, when he saw a woman they did not recognize at the front of the house around 4:30 p.m. She began pounding on the door, said James Holmes, a Phoenix police spokesman.

The boy went upstairs and got a handgun, police said. A man with a rifle had forced his way into the home. He aimed the gun at the boy, and the boy shot him, police said. The boy and his three siblings left the house and went to a neighbor's house, where the boy called police and his father, Holmes said.

"He took an action that no police officer, certainly no one in our community, wants a 14-year-old to have to take," Holmes said. "And yet he's safe, his siblings are safe, and so now we have to figure out why this happened and why these people were there." ..."

-- Make my day biznitches --

houghtam
06-24-2012, 09:53 PM

Brewer
06-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Hell I'm expecting the gun to become the state symbol.

Says a Neanderthal named Gunns. That's funny right there!

Boomhauer
06-25-2012, 12:49 AM
It's for a short period of time. I think they will survive not being able to shoot outdoors until we don't have this danger. No one is taking their guns away from them, although the neanderthals that think they are above this should have theirs taken away since they have no common sense...

Same argument, different context to make a point.

"It's for a short period of time. I think they will survive not being able to shoot outdoors until we don't have this danger."
Re - At the outbreak of GRID (Gay-Related Immune Deficency, later renamed AIDS) would you have recommended banning gay sex as well as gay gatherings, as the rampant intravenous drug use was also a major contributor?

"No one is taking their guns away from them, although the neanderthals that think they are above this should have theirs taken away since they have no common sense."
Re - Likewise; No one would be saying they couldn't be gay, but the "Neanderthals" that ignored safe sex, thinking they wouldn't be affected, would have the "right" of contact with other gays (as friends or otherwise) stripped since they have "no common sense".

----------------------------------------------------
But these are clearly two very different contexts. Gun ownership has sparked a few fires that have destroyed property and endangered lives. Gays just caused the death of millions with half of sub-Sahara Africa currently infected.
You've snapped to grab the rights of gun ownership because of a mostly minor and issolated problem, but what would you have done in response to a rampantly spreading, lethal outbreak? Does your political affiliation outweigh reason?

houghtam
06-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Same argument, different context to make a point.

"It's for a short period of time. I think they will survive not being able to shoot outdoors until we don't have this danger."
Re - At the outbreak of GRID (Gay-Related Immune Deficency, later renamed AIDS) would you have recommended banning gay sex as well as gay gatherings, as the rampant intravenous drug use was also a major contributor?

"No one is taking their guns away from them, although the neanderthals that think they are above this should have theirs taken away since they have no common sense."
Re - Likewise; No one would be saying they couldn't be gay, but the "Neanderthals" that ignored safe sex, thinking they wouldn't be affected, would have the "right" of contact with other gays (as friends or otherwise) stripped since they have "no common sense".

----------------------------------------------------
But these are clearly two very different contexts. Gun ownership has sparked a few fires that have destroyed property and endangered lives. Gays just caused the death of millions with half of sub-Sahara Africa currently infected.
You've snapped to grab the rights of gun ownership because of a mostly minor and issolated problem, but what would you have done in response to a rampantly spreading, lethal outbreak? Does your political affiliation outweigh reason?

No one is "grabbing the rights of gun ownership". They're attempting to curtail the effect of gun shooter-ship. Keep your guns. Shoot them whenever you like. Just not when there's a significant chance you're going to light the country on fire.

I suppose you're this animated when municipalities put a ban or restriction on water usage, building fires, or any other number of infinitely more useful activities than shooting a gun? Please, I'd love for you to post that video...Boomhauer picketing the courthouse steps because he can't use his Slip N Slide.

Boomhauer
06-25-2012, 01:11 AM
I suppose you're this animated when...

Clearly you missed the point of my post. But another nice display of the bigotry and intolerance from uber-lefties here.

houghtam
06-25-2012, 01:14 AM
I have no answer.

I figured as much. Nice car in your avatar though.

houghtam
06-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Boomhauer's Play-Doh Fun Factory of BS

Just so I'm following here (I'd hate to be misunderstanding your point, whatever it may have been): You're equating a disease which (in 99.9% of cases) only affects someone making a conscious decision to not practice safe sex or not share needles...to a decision to shoot a gun in a (temporarily) restricted area, starting a wildfire that could potentially cost millions of dollars in taxpayer money to contain?

Just out of curiosity, are you also against taxes which pay for the ability to fight that fire as well?

Boomhauer
06-25-2012, 02:11 AM
Just so I'm following here: You're equating a disease ...
Just out of curiosity, are you also against taxes which pay for the ability to fight that fire as well?

Still applies, even more obviously now --
"Clearly you missed the point of my post. But another nice display of the bigotry and intolerance from uber-lefties here."

houghtam
06-25-2012, 02:14 AM
Still applies, even more obviously now --
"Clearly you missed the point of my post. But another nice display of the bigotry and intolerance from uber-lefties here."

Obviously I missed the point of your post. Please, oh great one, find it in your heart to pity us and touch us with the font of knowledge that is your opinion.

Spider
06-25-2012, 06:50 AM
Obviously I missed the point of your post. Please, oh great one, find it in your heart to pity us and touch us with the font of knowledge that is your opinion.

I am not sure if boom understands the difference in Africa and America ...But when aids was discovered here in America a campaign went out to educate the public and stiff jail terms for knowingly infecting someone with the disease ...I dont know how in the hell ****stick made the connection gays and people doing stupid things with firearms ....Unless he conciders gay =stupid

Garcia Bronco
06-25-2012, 07:28 AM

I have to agree. Certainly it's possible, just not probable.

barryr
06-25-2012, 08:03 AM

Not to mention the U.S. is about the only country that has open borders, so how many of those guns are being smuggled into this country by gangs and used by them? Fast and Furious anyone? Comparing the U.S. to countries with such a tiny population compared to the U.S. is stupid as well. This is all about taking guns away from people or making those with guns feel guilty so they will give them up, which puts the criminals with even more power, not to mention the government. To think firing a gun starts a fire is beyond ridiculous. Cigarettes start more fires than most anything else, other than nature itself, yet the president has smoked for years with little criticism from his supporters.

Beantown Bronco
06-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Comparing the U.S. to countries with such a tiny population compared to the U.S. is stupid as well.

Someone's having trouble understanding the difference between "amount" and "rate" I see. The most populous areas don't automatically have the highest crime rates.

barryr
06-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Someone's having trouble understanding the difference between "amount" and "rate" I see. The most populous areas don't automatically have the highest crime rates.

Someone missed the open border consideration it seems.

Beantown Bronco
06-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Someone missed the open border consideration it seems.

Nope. Didn't miss it. That was a completely different point and different argument. I'm not touching that one.

I am only concerned about your population argument. Is it your argument that more populated countries automatically have higher crime rates, and therefore cannot be compared to smaller countries? Because that is how your post reads. Or was that simply a mistake on your part?

barryr
06-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Nope. Didn't miss it. That was a completely different point and different argument. I'm not touching that one.

I am only concerned about your population argument. Is it your argument that more populated countries automatically have higher crime rates, and therefore cannot be compared to smaller countries? Because that is how your post reads. Or was that simply a mistake on your part?

It is a part of the problem, yet you dismiss it? Ok. Having more illegals and criminals coming into your country just might be a big factor in crime. And you really believe comparing the U.S. to Vietnam is a good comparison? How about compare gun violence with Ethiopa? Bangladesh? Wow, how shocking their numbers are lower too. Who knew?

Maybe having so many lawyers who fight to get criminals back on the street to commit more crimes is a factor. Like maybe how many crimes are done by repeat offenders? Oh, I know, that is yet another topic you don't want to touch either. Better to believe we need guns collected. Oh, and I have never even owned a gun in my life either, so no need to bother with that nonsense either.

Bacchus
06-25-2012, 09:32 AM

So he was driving the short bus you were riding in?

Beantown Bronco
06-25-2012, 09:47 AM
It is a part of the problem, yet you dismiss it? Ok. Having more illegals and criminals coming into your country just might be a big factor in crime. And you really believe comparing the U.S. to Vietnam is a good comparison? How about compare gun violence with Ethiopa? Bangladesh? Wow, how shocking their numbers are lower too. Who knew?

Maybe having so many lawyers who fight to get criminals back on the street to commit more crimes is a factor. Like maybe how many crimes are done by repeat offenders? Oh, I know, that is yet another topic you don't want to touch either. Better to believe we need guns collected. Oh, and I have never even owned a gun in my life either, so no need to bother with that nonsense either.

Wow. It's that tough to admit you were wrong about part of your argument? Awesome.

Think of it this way. You get into a debate about the best QB of all time. One guy argues Montana. The other Elway. And, to support his side, person #2 says Elway is the best because of 10 different reasons, one of which being that he was black. Person #1 says "What? Let's ignore everything else about your argument for a minute and look at that one statement about Elway being black. He wasn't. And here's a picture of him to prove he's white." Person #1 now ignores that part of the argument and says, "well, what about points 1-9? You can't ignore those." Person #1 says, "those involve a different argument entirely and I can't even talk about those and even take you seriously until you admit to point #10 being wrong."

Don't be person #2.