PDA

View Full Version : Ladainian Tomlinson considered Broncos before retirement

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
06-23-2012, 02:50 PM
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jun/23/tomlinson-considered-continuing-career-gasp-denver/?page=1#article

Tim Condon had talks with the Broncos according to the link.

“That was the only reason I considered Denver,” he said. “At the same time, I thought, ‘How much is a Super Bowl ring really going to do for you at this point?’ Because it’s not with the team I really wanted to do it with.”

“Exactly!” he said, laughing like he does and actually hitting my arm. “I know. And you know what? At the end of the day I was thinking, ‘I can’t do that.’ It’s not as bad as being a Raider -- but almost.”

baja
06-23-2012, 02:58 PM
“Exactly!” he said, laughing like he does and actually hitting my arm. “I know. And you know what? At the end of the day I was thinking, ‘I can’t do that.’ It’s not as bad as being a Raider -- but almost.”

I'm going to stuff paper towels in the toitet at his restaurant next time I am there. ;D

Anikai
06-23-2012, 03:01 PM
That would of been interesting, seeing him on our bench during the playoffs. Knowshon already has dibbs on the bike.

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2012, 03:26 PM
We've got Ronnie Hillman or Knowhson (if healthy) now to fill the role LT would have played.

I'd rather develop young talent like Hillman than bring in LT and have to fill that role with someone else when he retired the next year.

If this was a Super Bowl team on the cusp of greatness, some veteran leadership like that would have been more of an asset, but I think this is the year the team gels under Manning and we start a 2 or 3 year run for some Super Bowls starting in 2013.

R-Mac
06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
If this was a Super Bowl team on the cusp of greatness, some veteran leadership like that would have been more of an asset, but I think this is the year the team gels under Manning and we start a 2 or 3 year run for some Super Bowls starting in 2013.

Manning will be 39 years old in 3 years. I'm pretty sure he signed with the Broncos to win a Super Bowl right now. I know Elway's draft did not show any sense of urgency, but Manning is not waiting 2 or 3 years to get something done.

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-23-2012, 03:40 PM
So we dodged a slow moving bullet. LT can go fumble rocks.

Jason in LA
06-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Looks like he wanted to be the 2nd greatest Broncos running back ever. ;D

cutthemdown
06-23-2012, 04:00 PM
He really just knows he can't win a Superbowl, so why ruin it for Denver.

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Manning will be 39 years old in 3 years. I'm pretty sure he signed with the Broncos to win a Super Bowl right now. I know Elway's draft did not show any sense of urgency, but Manning is not waiting 2 or 3 years to get something done.

What I'm saying is that the team will gel this year and win 10 games or so and they will then be geared up for a 2 or 3 year run (the rest of Manning's career)....hopefully the kind run we saw in Denver from 1996 through 1998.

If they win a Super Bowl this year, great, but I see the real run starting in 2013 and lasting 2 or 3 years.

I don't think LT would help us win a Super Bowl in 2012 any more than Ronnie Hillman could. He is way past his prime. You want us to bring Jerry Rice back as well?

LT caught some passes last year, but when running the ball, LT has averaged 3.8, 3.3, 4.2, and 3.7 yards per carry the last 4 years.

Heyneck
06-23-2012, 04:04 PM
I would have liked to give LT the finger as he said that... Thanks, but no thanks!

kappys
06-23-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm going to stuff paper towels in the toitet at his restaurant next time I am there. ;D

I recommend leaving him an upper decker

R-Mac
06-23-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't think LT would help us win a Super Bowl in 2012 any more than Ronnie Hillman could. He is way past his prime. You want us to bring Jerry Rice back as well?

I don't think LT would have taken the Broncos offense to the next level, but he would have been more useful than Ronnie Hillman. LT can pick up the blitz and he takes care of the ball. Hillman is awful in pass protection and he fumbles a lot. So, LT was in position to help Manning immediately.

LT averaged 3.7 YPC last season. Willis McGahee averaged 3.8 YPC in his last season with the Ravens, and now he is the starter in Denver. I'm not saying the Broncos should have signed LT, but he would definitely help more than Hillman.

No, I don't want the Broncos to sign Jerry Rice. Brandon Stokley could see this move as a threat. But a WR from the 2012 draft would have been nice.

Mogulseeker
06-23-2012, 04:45 PM
We've got Ronnie Hillman or Knowhson (if healthy) now to fill the role LT would have played.

I'd rather develop young talent like Hillman than bring in LT and have to fill that role with someone else when he retired the next year.

I had a barbque today and one of the people there is a Broncos insider, who will remain anonymous, said the FO isn't too high on Knowshon ever becoming something. Said, "I think he's done in Denver."

Taco John
06-23-2012, 04:57 PM
LaDanian Tomlinson says the Broncos are headed to the Superbowl.

baja
06-23-2012, 05:00 PM

LOL Am I to assume that would be taking a dump with the toilet lid down?

hades
06-23-2012, 05:05 PM
LOL Am I to assume that would be taking a dump with the toilet lid down?

I think it's turning the water off to the toilet, flush it and poop in the water tank part, but I never rememebr what all these toilet poop jokes are.

Edit: Don't turn the water off, just poop in the tank.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=upper+decker

Tombstone RJ
06-23-2012, 05:05 PM
translation: LT has nothing left in the tank.

lonestar
06-23-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't think LT would have taken the Broncos offense to the next level, but he would have been more useful than Ronnie Hillman. LT can pick up the blitz and he takes care of the ball. Hillman is awful in pass protection and he fumbles a lot. So, LT was in position to help Manning immediately.

LT averaged 3.7 YPC last season. Willis McGahee averaged 3.8 YPC in his last season with the Ravens, and now he is the starter in Denver. I'm not saying the Broncos should have signed LT, but he would definitely help more than Hillman.

No, I don't want the Broncos to sign Jerry Rice. Brandon Stokley could see this move as a threat. But a WR from the 2012 draft would have been nice.

MOst of what you see in this thread is sour grapes..

I'm guessing if you look back in the archives there was a load of folks on here that would have given their left nut for him when he was cut in SAN..

The guy is an instant HOFer in 5 years..

WOuld he have made a difference? I suspect moreso than hillman will and more than Merno would have if he would have made the cut this year..

baja
06-23-2012, 05:12 PM
I think it's turning the water off to the toilet, flush it and poop in the water tank part, but I never rememebr what all these toilet poop jokes are.

Edit: Don't turn the water off, just poop in the tank.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=upper+decker

Euuu that is even worse

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2012, 05:35 PM
MOst of what you see in this thread is sour grapes..

I'm guessing if you look back in the archives there was a load of folks on here that would have given their left nut for him when he was cut in SAN..

The guy is an instant HOFer in 5 years..

WOuld he have made a difference? I suspect moreso than hillman will and more than Merno would have if he would have made the cut this year..

Sour grapes?

How so, if I may ask?

I'm all about bringing in anyone I think can help the team get to the next level.

If I thought LT could do that, I'd be the first one saying I think he should be on the team.

If we would have signed him, I would have been rooting for him to find the fountain of youth and help the team win games.

Mogulseeker
06-23-2012, 05:55 PM

Except poop apparently.

Punisher
06-23-2012, 06:11 PM
http://stephysobossy.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/empty-tank.jpg

Powderaddict
06-23-2012, 06:48 PM
I don't know, LT could have helped teach the younger players how to win in the playoffs.

Yes, that is sarcasm.

lonestar
06-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Sour grapes?

How so, if I may ask?

I'm all about bringing in anyone I think can help the team get to the next level.

If I thought LT could do that, I'd be the first one saying I think he should be on the team.

If we would have signed him, I would have been rooting for him to find the fountain of youth and help the team win games.

I did not mention you in particular .. But I guess the shoe fit..

But then note the highlighted terms.. Perhaps that was your first mistake..

I get a kick out of all the GM/HC wannabes on the forum..

extralife
06-23-2012, 07:18 PM
LaDanian Tomlinson says the Broncos are headed to the Superbowl.

kiss of death :(

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
06-23-2012, 07:21 PM

I get a kick out of the McDaniels apologists like you.

Backing a guy who is responsible for the only 12+ plus loss season in franchise history and the team's worst single-season winning percentage since 1967.

DENVERDUI55
06-23-2012, 07:28 PM
No need to go through training camp all summer only the get the hook and lots of playing time in preseason game 4. Smart man. A man has to know his limitations.

lonestar
06-23-2012, 07:38 PM
I get a kick out of the McDaniels apologists like you.

Backing a guy who is responsible for the only 12+ plus loss season in franchise history and the team's worst single-season winning percentage since 1967.

Glad to know..

I still believe he was better than Tanahan, he started the rebuild that this franchise needed..

Had he been given a REAL GM, I believe he still may be here with a winning record..

Better than the constant whine from Tanahan, being one or two player away from the playoffs.

Or getting our asses kicked in every playoff game since the DUKE retired..

I can understand you not liking Josh, but will never beleive that we did not need the purge that Pat gave us..

Vegas_Bronco
06-23-2012, 10:04 PM
LT hates the idea of being a bronco bc his true hate of Al Wilson who use to kick his azz everytime they met.

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2012, 10:28 PM
I did not mention you in particular .. But I guess the shoe fit..

But then note the highlighted terms.. Perhaps that was your first mistake..

Gee....imagine people giving their opinions on a football message board.

I guess we should all keep quiet and nod our heads in agreement with every move by the team.

I think it's telling that nobody signed LT this year.

Maybe they all thought he didn't have much gas left in the tank.

LT is trying to make it look like he had options.

If Denver would have offered him a deal for anything over league minimum, he would have jumped all over it.

R-Mac
06-23-2012, 11:09 PM
If LT really wanted to play this year, for any team, and for a minimum salary, he would be on a 90-man roster right now. He caught 42 passes last season, and 52 in 2010. LT still had value as a 3rd down RB, especially with his experience in pass protection and route running. I truly believe he was picky because he already had retirement on his mind.

broncocalijohn
06-23-2012, 11:12 PM
I had a barbque today and one of the people there is a Broncos insider, who will remain anonymous, said the FO isn't too high on Knowshon ever becoming something. Said, "I think he's done in Denver."

This guy wasn't a special team's coach and your brother in law, right?

Blueflame
06-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Euuu that is even worse

No first-hand knowledge here... but it's my understanding that an upperdecker is a gift that keeps on giving, if you get my drift.

Stuck in Cali
06-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Would love to see a comment from the Broncos saying that they were not in touch with him, or they turned him down.

baja
06-24-2012, 12:20 AM
No first-hand knowledge here... but it's my understanding that an upperdecker is a gift that keeps on giving, if you get my drift.

LOL Now that is pay back

NUB
06-24-2012, 03:06 AM

Tomlinson got the Earl Campbell treatment; he is smart to be retiring now while he can still walk. The Chargers ran him right into the damn ground. He gets my respect -- best running-back of his decade no contest. And I will remain quite amused that the uber-talented San Diego squad accomplished diddly-squat with their bevy of all-world talent.

Agamemnon
06-24-2012, 04:48 AM
So...does that mean his agent contacted the Broncos and they were like "thanks, but no thanks"? Kind of the impression I get.

CEH
06-24-2012, 06:05 AM

Come you can tell us John Fox was at your BBQ. I'm not an insider but I play one on the internet and I feel the same way. Knowshown doesn't make it out of TC. PUP be damned. He's had 3 years to prove it worth I don't blame him. It's a man's league and some bodies are not built to within the punishment

He got is Bentley so he's happy

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-24-2012, 07:09 AM

This, or an AC Slater.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0X1ggm5ZqsA/TKKswx7B66I/AAAAAAAAIuE/4hXMIkefwP0/s500/slater.jpg

SouthStndJunkie
06-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Would love to see a comment from the Broncos saying that they were not in touch with him, or they turned him down.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis

BTW: Broncos never made offer to the great LTomlinson. His agent did call. Broncos went young instead drafting RB Ronnie Hilliman in 3rd.

barryr
06-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Over the hill RB's typically do not make much impact, so I'm glad the Broncos didn't sign him.

lonestar
06-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Over the hill RB's typically do not make much impact, so I'm glad the Broncos didn't sign him.

MANY thought that about ma gahee also.. after a 380 yard season in 2010..

TheChamp24
06-24-2012, 07:31 PM
I actually like the fact LT considers us a threat to win the Super Bowl though. Gave this team a lot of compliments which is encouraging.

TheChamp24
06-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Glad to know..

I still believe he was better than Tanahan, he started the rebuild that this franchise needed..

Had he been given a REAL GM, I believe he still may be here with a winning record..

Better than the constant whine from Tanahan, being one or two player away from the playoffs.

Or getting our asses kicked in every playoff game since the DUKE retired..

I can understand you not liking Josh, but will never beleive that we did not need the purge that Pat gave us..

Yeah, rebuilded the wrong freakin areas. We already had our offense set, maybe except a RB, and he reworks it from the ground up.
His drafting was highly suspect IMO, and personal moves as well.

Killericon
06-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Manning handing the ball off to Tomlinson? Good lord...

lonestar
06-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Yeah, rebuilded the wrong freakin areas. We already had our offense set, maybe except a RB, and he reworks it from the ground up.
His drafting was highly suspect IMO, and personal moves as well.

I thought the same thing you did when Josh was first announced, I had wanted a D guy Spags was first on my list. but then I analyzed what was causing us to fail.. RED ZONE push we relied way to much on Elam to score after a few attempts in the red zone..

Tanahans offense was great on paper, had loads of stats, but could not score and the way it was built it would not have improved..

Not even mentioning I have never heard of an Offensive coach come into a team and not change the playbook..

Do you really think that Pat wanted that to happen when he hired this young OC from one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL?

Think about that Pat wanted a change or he would have forced a DC on Tanahan and allowed him to continue..
But allowing the DC to run his defense as he wanted to build it, without Tanahan looking over his shoulder....

Anyone knows that 285 pound interior lineman are not going to move out 315-365 NT and DTs when it counts and that is what was happening to Tanahan and his OL inside the red zone they stunk it up..

Every year for about 8 years Tanahan said in his EOS presser that we had to improve in the red zone, yet he never took steps to get bigger.. Only once prior to Clady did he use a top choice on OL.. and it was not his size that got him drafted but his feet..

We can debate personnel moves all day but Tanahan blew even more calls..

maher_tyler
06-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Tomlinson got the Earl Campbell treatment; he is smart to be retiring now while he can still walk. The Chargers ran him right into the damn ground. He gets my respect -- best running-back of his decade no contest. And I will remain quite amused that the uber-talented San Diego squad accomplished diddly-squat with their bevy of all-world talent.

They were and continue to get Norv'd! I think they would have had a better chance had they kept Marty around. I cant believe Norv is still the coach there to be honest.

lonestar
06-24-2012, 09:11 PM
They were and continue to get Norv'd! I think they would have had a better chance had they kept Marty around. I cant believe Norv is still the coach there to be honest.

I pray to the stupidity Gods every day that SAN owners keep the clown..

unfortunately the Gods failed me on aldavis.. was hoping he would hang on to screw that franchise up beyond hope..

Mogulseeker
06-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Manning handing the ball off to Tomlinson? Good lord...

In 2004 that would have been ridiculous.

bronco militia
06-24-2012, 09:59 PM

I admit it ....it was me

R-Mac
06-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Before Moreno tore his ACL, he had two impressive runs of 20+ yards against the Chiefs.

You can watch them here:

http://www.nfl.com/player/knowshonmoreno/79619/profile

The screen pass against the Chargers was also a great play.

Those kind of plays make me think Moreno can still be a productive RB, but he needs more carries. Maybe it won't happen in Denver.

Moreno is too young, he has the age of a rookie (24 years old). Marshawn Lynch and Reggie Bush resurrected their careers after being kicked by the teams that drafted them.

TheChamp24
06-25-2012, 06:22 AM
I thought the same thing you did when Josh was first announced, I had wanted a D guy Spags was first on my list. but then I analyzed what was causing us to fail.. RED ZONE push we relied way to much on Elam to score after a few attempts in the red zone..

Tanahans offense was great on paper, had loads of stats, but could not score and the way it was built it would not have improved..

Not even mentioning I have never heard of an Offensive coach come into a team and not change the playbook..

Do you really think that Pat wanted that to happen when he hired this young OC from one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL?

Think about that Pat wanted a change or he would have forced a DC on Tanahan and allowed him to continue..
But allowing the DC to run his defense as he wanted to build it, without Tanahan looking over his shoulder....

Anyone knows that 285 pound interior lineman are not going to move out 315-365 NT and DTs when it counts and that is what was happening to Tanahan and his OL inside the red zone they stunk it up..

Every year for about 8 years Tanahan said in his EOS presser that we had to improve in the red zone, yet he never took steps to get bigger.. Only once prior to Clady did he use a top choice on OL.. and it was not his size that got him drafted but his feet..

We can debate personnel moves all day but Tanahan blew even more calls..

WHEN DID I MENTION SHANAHAN? NEVER.

Our offense had little problems, and our defense was a complete mess. So what does McDaniels do? Get our franchise QB traded, draft a RB in the 1st, and then traded our problem child WR in Marshall, using 1st round picks on a QB and WR. He had 4 1st round pick selections, and 3 were on offense.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-25-2012, 06:25 AM
Tanahan tanahan tanahan tanahan? Tanahan.

BroncoBen
06-25-2012, 11:40 AM
That would of been interesting, seeing him on our bench during the playoffs. Knowshon already has dibbs on the bike.

ROFL! No kidding... LaDainian playing days are behind him... he would have been a wasted roster spot.. not to mention the $$.