PDA

View Full Version : Cap room

Bmore Manning
06-22-2012, 09:52 PM
The latest cap figues:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/22/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-june-22/

Denver sitting solid with over $10 million of cap room. Leaves room to maneuver for the right player, to carry over into next season, or to make emergency mid season signings. It's nice to have the flexibility.

Anyone out there in free agency that anybody has a fancy for?

Bigdawg26
06-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Wow the Eagles are still 22 mil under the cap!

Vegas_Bronco
06-22-2012, 10:36 PM
black 6

lonestar
06-22-2012, 10:40 PM
The latest cap figues:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/22/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-june-22/

Denver sitting solid with over $10 million of cap room. Leaves room to maneuver for the right player, to carry over into next season, or to make emergency mid season signings. It's nice to have the flexibility.

Anyone out there in free agency that anybody has a fancy for?

NOw you did it.. the kooks are gonna come out of the wood work..

Not so sure we can carry money to next year.. I think that was a one time deal with the uncapped year..

Stuck in Cali
06-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Are all our rookies signed? Don't remember hearing what Oz got for his contract.

lonestar
06-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Are all our rookies signed? Don't remember hearing what Oz got for his contract.

everyone has signed except Prater he is the only guy not under contract..

Stuck in Cali
06-22-2012, 11:06 PM
everyone has signed except Prater he is the only guy not under contract..

Thanks.

lonestar
06-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Thanks.

there is a thread somewhere about who signed and for how much.. do a search..

lonestar
06-23-2012, 02:40 PM

Was just told that he and Hillman have not signed..

UberBroncoMan
06-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Wow the Eagles are still 22 mil under the cap!

Yeah...kind of shocked about that one after their FA spree last year.

g6matty
06-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Yeah...kind of shocked about that one after their FA spree last year.

they dropped asantes 10 mil contract

Broncos_OTM
06-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Alot of philly last year were one yr contracts iirc

Ziggy
06-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Re-sign Clady and Prater to front loaded contracts and have some cap room going into next season with our key guys signed.

Mogulseeker
06-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Having that extra 10 mil is a luxury. If you don't want that luxury, then lock up Prater and Clady.

I believe Von Miller is on a four-year contract (could be wrong). If he is, and he performs as well this year as he did his rookie year, then he'll be at 2 years and I say go ahead and give him a 7- ear long-term deal with as much of that up front as the NFL will let us offer.

lonestar
06-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Having that extra 10 mil is a luxury. If you don't want that luxury, then lock up Prater and Clady.

I believe Von Miller is on a four-year contract (could be wrong). If he is, and he performs as well this year as he did his rookie year, then he'll be at 2 years and I say go ahead and give him a 7- ear long-term deal with as much of that up front as the NFL will let us offer.

that ten mil will be gone in a heart beat, if they resign Clady that is 6 and prater is 3 and they still have two rookies to sign..

Mogulseeker
06-23-2012, 06:14 PM
that ten mil will be gone in a heart beat, if they resign Clady that is 6 and prater is 3 and they still have two rookies to sign..

If they amortize the deals they already have in place with Clady and Prater then it wont be 6 and 3... it will be more than that in salary, but a smaller cap hit. They can prorate the deal and give them the whole bonus up front. (I think the NFL still allows that.) That cap figure is with the franchise tag on Prater and Clady's current contract.

Clady will be making 10+ mill when they get his contract done.

Lestat
06-23-2012, 07:07 PM
more than likely the cap space will be used later on in the year once cuts start happening to vets in camp.

Powderaddict
06-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Is that counting the roughly 2.5 million the Broncos will save during DJ's suspension?

RunSilentRunDeep
06-23-2012, 08:12 PM

Prater's franchise tag counts against the cap, so it wouldn't be a fresh $3M.

lonestar
06-23-2012, 08:26 PM
If they amortize the deals they already have in place with Clady and Prater then it wont be 6 and 3... it will be more than that in salary, but a smaller cap hit. They can prorate the deal and give them the whole bonus up front. (I think the NFL still allows that.) That cap figure is with the franchise tag on Prater and Clady's current contract.

Clady will be making 10+ mill when they get his contract done.

if he makes ten mil a year then it is ten mil off the cap..

the only thing that has been prorated against the cap is any signing or up front money he is given the rest of the cap money is indeed what they make each year it is not prorated..

One of the reason there have been so many back loaded deals were to placate the egos of the players and enable the teams to dump them if there was a problem with only the prorated portion of the cap becoming due when they are cut..

the salary cap hit is the hit nothing else being prorated..

If he does indeed get ten mil a year that means he counts that much against the cap.. plus his prorated bonus money..

sorry if he does get it early then that ten mil is gonzo less of course what he would have made this year anyway..

same goes for prater.. IIRC the franchise tag was $2.6 mil so that is already counted so he costs us another $4ook plus bonus proration..

Again ten mil is dust it will be needed to cover IR replacements..

lonestar
06-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Is that counting the roughly 2.5 million the Broncos will save during DJ's suspension?

From the way I understand it that money is not saved but paid out to NFL charties..

Mogulseeker
06-23-2012, 10:43 PM
if he makes ten mil a year then it is ten mil off the cap..

the only thing that has been prorated against the cap is any signing or up front money he is given the rest of the cap money is indeed what they make each year it is not prorated..

One of the reason there have been so many back loaded deals were to placate the egos of the players and enable the teams to dump them if there was a problem with only the prorated portion of the cap becoming due when they are cut..

the salary cap hit is the hit nothing else being prorated..

If he does indeed get ten mil a year that means he counts that much against the cap.. plus his prorated bonus money..

sorry if he does get it early then that ten mil is gonzo less of course what he would have made this year anyway..

same goes for prater.. IIRC the franchise tag was $2.6 mil so that is already counted so he costs us another $4ook plus bonus proration..

Again ten mil is dust it will be needed to cover IR replacements..

Actually only salaries and guaranteed cash (which includes signing bonuses and dead cash) by year count against the cap. As I understand it the only difference in the new structure is that there is less room for top-heavy or bottom-heavy contract.

I remember reading an article that said Elway likes to front-load contracts, and I think that is a good strategy when a team is rebuilding because it allows the team to take finances year by year. It's also why I think the CBA allows teams to rollover some of the excess cap space from year to year - so all in all there is less financial engineering required on the team's part due to flexibility in the regulatory structure of the league.

You also have to subtract current contracts as null and void. Giving Clady a 10 million deal doesn't mean an additional 10 million because his current contract would be truncated, so if he's already making 4 mil, that would be 10 mil - 4 mill = 6 million additional cap hit.

lonestar
06-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Actually only salaries and guaranteed cash (which includes signing bonuses and (dead cash) by year count against the cap. As I understand it the only difference in the new structure is that there is less room for top-heavy or bottom-heavy contract.

I remember readin a n article that said Elway likes to front-load contracts, and I think that is a good strategy when a team is rebuilding because it allows the team to take finances year by year. It's also why I think the CBA allows teams to rollover some of the excess cap space from year to year - so all in all there is less financial engineering required on the team's part due to flexibility in the regulatory structure of the league.

You also have to subtract current contracts as null and void. Giving Clady a 10 million deal doesn't mean an additional 10 million because his current contract would be truncated, so if he's already making 4 mil, that would be 10 mil - 4 mill = 6 million additional cap hit.

by guaranteed cash are you talking about signing bonuses? if so those are prorated over the life of the contract..

Guarantees means that over the life of the contract he will get that much money.. If he is traded that money would go on to teh new team, if he is cut early then he still gets that money and it would be no longer prorated but all come due in that years cap value..

As for Elway I really believe that he was speaking of money being brought from the uncapped year.. As I understood it it was a ONE maybe two-year time frame to use it or lose it..

Not sure which year it begins but the teams have a minimum amount they have to spend each year and at that time that uncapped money will go away..

Now I'm not an expert at it and since the new CBA things have changed a lot.. So I could have heard it wrong or who ever was writing/ speaking it may have been wrong also..

Would love to get an OFFICAL ruling on this..

as for Clady I guess I thought I had made that same point and added to it with this "same goes for prater.. IIRC the franchise tag was $2.6 mil so that is already counted so he costs us another $4ook plus bonus proration..
"

Anyway time will tell who is closer to the mark..

Drek
06-24-2012, 07:47 AM
The team has made it pretty clear that they don't go specifically by the cap and instead use a "cash cap" type system. This was a big cash outlay year thanks to bonus given to Manning.

So will next year for that matter, so don't expect a ton of big moves then either. If Manning is healthy year 3 is when the team will likely see a bunch more on hand cash to make another big acquisition. Until then we need Manning to be Manning and for the FO to hit on lower price signings and draft picks if we're going to fill holes.