PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Sandusky found GUILTY on 45 of 48 counts

Pages : [1] 2

KCStud
06-22-2012, 07:15 PM
In sexual abuse act.

Send this dude to jail and don't look back.

Source: NY Times

Marshall Dumervil
06-22-2012, 07:20 PM
In sexual abuse act.

Send those ****ers that knew what was happening along with him.

DBroncos4life
06-22-2012, 07:23 PM
He won't last a year in jail.

Houshyamama
06-22-2012, 07:23 PM
In sexual abuse act.

A Chief and Bronco agree. I hope he gets what he's given in jail.

StugotsIII
06-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Sandusky should be sodomized by a bullet...

Cmac821
06-22-2012, 07:26 PM
hate to point out the obvious but that's a lot of charges. Have fun in prison

KCStud
06-22-2012, 07:29 PM
What are the odds that Jerry experiences some serious karma behind bars?

This guys gonna be somebody's bitch in prison.

baja
06-22-2012, 07:30 PM

If they put him in general population he won't last a week.

Houshyamama
06-22-2012, 07:30 PM

This guys gonna be somebody's b**** in prison.

There needs to be an over/under pool on how long he survives in prison. I wonder if my bookie is taking bets.

Shananahan
06-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Sadly, this probably won't be the case. He'll die in prison, at least.

baja
06-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Sadly, this probably won't be the case. He'll die in prison, at least.

Just imagine how many of those guys were abused as children. I doubt they will be able to protect him for very long. Someone in there will get to him.

If there was an over under at 60 days I'd take the under.

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-22-2012, 07:48 PM

They will never put him in general population.

Stuck in Cali
06-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Death and even prison are too good for him. He and all that are like him need to suffer on a daily basis. Anything else and they are getting off easy for the crimes they committed.

Shananahan
06-22-2012, 07:54 PM
What would Tebow do?

baja
06-22-2012, 08:11 PM
What would Tebow do?

Pray for him.

Good question actually

R-Mac
06-22-2012, 08:23 PM
"See you in hell" -Joe Paterno

Shananahan
06-22-2012, 08:24 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/jerry-sandusky-found-guilty-45-48-sex-abuse/story?id=16623842 (http://www.theonion.com/articles/sandusky-angry-hes-not-going-to-be-allowed-to-tell,28631/?ref=auto)

Although many of the 28 witnesses called by the defense vouched for his reputation, Sandusky noted that not one of them mentioned the sweeping, epic passion between him and his alleged victims—the tender moments and the establishment of deep, lasting emotional bonds he said are vital to an understanding of events.

"I've been forced to sit here and listen to my special memories of those nights in the showers be reduced to a series of wet rhythmic slapping sounds," Sandusky said.
Doesn't sound like he gets it.

ohiobronco2
06-22-2012, 08:51 PM
This is far from over. The University, Paterno family and Penn St. football are next. I feel for their fans (and the victims, but that goes without saying).

Archer81
06-22-2012, 09:07 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/jerry-sandusky-found-guilty-45-48-sex-abuse/story?id=16623842 (http://www.theonion.com/articles/sandusky-angry-hes-not-going-to-be-allowed-to-tell,28631/?ref=auto)

Doesn't sound like he gets it.

Jesus. Ezekiel. Jesus.

:Broncos:

Vegas_Bronco
06-22-2012, 09:32 PM
"I've been forced to sit here and listen to my special memories of those nights in the showers be reduced to a series of wet rhythmic slapping sounds," Sandusky said.

....lol he's gonna love prison showertime.

Connecticut Bronco Fan
06-22-2012, 09:39 PM

....lol he's gonna love prison showertime.

The Onion articles probably shouldn't be taken seriously.

However I hope Sandusky get's what is coming to him.

Stuck in Cali
06-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Did they take him into custody, or is he out till sentencing?

McDman
06-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Poor guy. Just tryin to get some.

Kaylore
06-22-2012, 11:10 PM
He'll appeal, but honestly he's done. It's a shame he wasn't caught back in the 80's.

gunns
06-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Did they take him into custody, or is he out till sentencing?

They took him into custody.

OrangeSe7en
06-22-2012, 11:52 PM

They'll likely take steps to keep him seperated from the general population. For example, if/when he has work, it will probably be during the grave yard shift.

Houshyamama
06-23-2012, 12:01 AM
He'll appeal, but honestly he's done. It's a shame he wasn't caught back in the 80's.

This. This right here.

Wes Mantooth
06-23-2012, 12:36 AM
This is far from over. The University, Paterno family and Penn St. football are next. I feel for their fans (and the victims, but that goes without saying).

Man I hope it is not over. That District Attorney that disappeared several years ago for example needs to be investigated.

houghtam
06-23-2012, 12:38 AM
Man I hope it is not over. That District Attorney that disappeared several years ago for example needs to be investigated.

You mean the situation? Or the DA himself? My guess is the DA is at the bottom of a river somewhere.

Happy Valley is a cult. I'm surprised this stuff got out in the first place.

driver
06-23-2012, 02:36 AM

Oh yeah.
Bubba going to get im.
They're going to good friends for a little while.:~ohyah!:

cutthemdown
06-23-2012, 03:04 AM
He was found not guilty on 3 counts of failing to provide a reach around.

st.bernard
06-23-2012, 05:12 AM
Along with all of this, I believe that Penn State Football should get the death sentence. What has gone on here is far, far worse than anything that SMU did.

Beantown Bronco
06-23-2012, 05:48 AM
I was beginning to think that it was impossible to get a conviction in a high profile case anymore. Al Pacino is not pleased.

Miss I.
06-23-2012, 06:08 AM
Jesus. Ezekiel. Jesus.

It's from the Onion. Those are not real quotes from him for God's sake. Yes he is a piece of ****, but he wasn't actually dumbass enough to say any of that.

g6matty
06-23-2012, 07:07 AM
ha when i was a junior in high school goin into my senior year back in like 09 i went to sanduskys linebacker camp. i didnt know any of the stufff that he did back then but he did come off as a ****in weirdo.

houghtam
06-23-2012, 07:20 AM
I was beginning to think that it was impossible to get a conviction in a high profile case anymore. Al Pacino is not pleased.

Samesies. Especially when they showed the video of the cop leading the witnesses, I thought "well that's it right there, he's going free." Could have created just enough reasonable doubt to sink te case. Glad to see justice will be served.

McDman
06-23-2012, 07:26 AM
ha when i was a junior in high school goin into my senior year back in like 09 i went to sanduskys linebacker camp. i didnt know any of the stufff that he did back then but he did come off as a ****in weirdo.

Yeah right. We know you had tickle fights with him in the showers.

ohiobronco2
06-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Along with all of this, I believe that Penn State Football should get the death sentence. What has gone on here is far, far worse than anything that SMU did.

I don't disagree, but have a feeling the NCAA may not do anything because they feel it is a criminal matter and outside their realm. Atleast that is the excuse they will use. They would much rather police kids getting a free meal than punish a school for covering up child rape in order to protect their football program.

houghtam
06-23-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't disagree, but have a feeling the NCAA may not do anything because they feel it is a criminal matter and outside their realm. Atleast that is the excuse they will use. They would much rather police kids getting a free meal than punish a school for covering up child rape in order to protect their football program.

Yep, I doubt the NCAA touches this with a 10 foot pole. The appropriate thing would be for donors to pull their funding, which would essentially destroy the program anyway. However, since donors are generally on the rabid side of fan-dom, my guess is that most of them will somehow mentally disassociate the football program from the coverup...by...the football program.

I think I read somewhere that charitable donations at Penn State actually increased after Joe Pa was let go. Could be wrong.

OrangeSe7en
06-23-2012, 08:32 AM

That's absurd. Let the court system deal with criminal matters. If the responsible parties are culpable, then let the DA have a go at them. The NCAA has a hard enough time as it is keeping their act together at the current time. The last thing they need to be doing is venturing into criminal/neglect areas, especially when you consider that from Paterno on up, no one acted maliciously. You could say they were neglectful and it allowed this to go on or fall through the cracks. But this shouldn't be the NCAAs area.

Broncos_OTM
06-23-2012, 09:06 AM

obviously you've never heard of protective cistody

Archer81
06-23-2012, 09:23 AM

I'm surprised you think that matters. If someone wants him badly enough, they will get him.

baja
06-23-2012, 09:28 AM

I have never heard of protective cistody either.

st.bernard
06-23-2012, 10:34 AM
That's absurd. Let the court system deal with criminal matters. If the responsible parties are culpable, then let the DA have a go at them. The NCAA has a hard enough time as it is keeping their act together at the current time. The last thing they need to be doing is venturing into criminal/neglect areas, especially when you consider that from Paterno on up, no one acted maliciously. You could say they were neglectful and it allowed this to go on or fall through the cracks. But this shouldn't be the NCAAs area.

Absurd? The football program protected Sandusky. That is most definately within the NCAAs purview. The absurdity is that nothing was done over a number of years. Absurd? Sure thing. Death sentence for the football program and severe consequences for the school itself. Maybe even go so far as to pull accreditation for the University itself. This whole thing is far, far from over. And, may in fact just be starting for the school itself.

DBroncos4life
06-23-2012, 11:18 AM

obviously you have never heard of suicide.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/23/12374414-sandusky-reportedly-on-suicide-watch?lite

Miss I.
06-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Am torn. I really am repulsed by the Bastard. I can't decide if a quick shiv by another inmate is too easy for him or whether sustained abuse in the prison is really better. I feel this primal rage about what he did and would like him to suffer but at the same time I can't help thinking this makes me a lesser person to give into those instincts. I also have some anger towards the rest of the people who mishandled this and have no idea why the guy who saw Sandusky raping the boy in the shower didn't intercede and take the boy to safety. Well here's to hoping karma or a big dude name Karl in cell block Sandusky finds the way.

g6matty
06-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Yeah right. We know you had tickle fights with him in the showers.

lol people give me funny looks when i wear my "jerry sandusky linebacker U" t shirt.

baja
06-23-2012, 11:29 AM
lol people give me funny looks when i wear my "jerry sandusky linebacker U" t shirt.

Maybe he would have been more honest if he have had a school for tight ends.

houghtam
06-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Am torn. I really am repulsed by the Bastard. I can't decide if a quick shiv by another inmate is too easy for him or whether sustained abuse in the prison is really better. I feel this primal rage about what he did and would like him to suffer but at the same time I can't help thinking this makes me a lesser person to give into those instincts. I also have some anger towards the rest of the people who mishandled this and have no idea why the guy who saw Sandusky raping the boy in the shower didn't intercede and take the boy to safety. Well here's to hoping karma or a big dude name Karl in cell block Sandusky finds the way.

I'm outraged as well...I suppose we just disagree on punishment. To me, the worst thing in the world would be solitary confinement. No contact with the outside world at all. And being told by the last human voice you'll ever hear: "You will sit in this cell for the rest of your short, miserable life. You will go to the bathroom on that toilet in the corner. You will eat 2 simple meals each day. You will NEVER leave this cell alive. And know that all of your friends out there, with no contact whatsoever from them, will eventually forget about you, and you will die here a wretched human being with no hope for redemption."

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Unfortunately that's not how it works in prison. Protective custody is a totally separate institution inside the prisons. Different cafeterias different libraries different everything. Big Karl will never get to see him. You can thank Dahmers killer for that. For the many hours they have to spend by themselves, they still get TVs books and an actual toilet. No going in a corner. Solitary confinement is on a limited time basis and used primarily for prisoners who committed a crime while behind bars. protective custody still gets all the perks. The problem with protected custody is when that prisoner re enters general population. Then big Karl and his buddies can do damage. Which happens quite a bit since having been in protective custody labels you a snitch or pedo. Sandusky will never enter the general population though.

Shananahan
06-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Is it OK if I haven't felt anything close to outrage about any of this?

All it's given me is an overwhelming feeling of repulsion and disturbed fascination.

houghtam
06-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Is it OK if I haven't felt anything close to outrage about any of this?

All it's given me is an overwhelming feeling of repulsion and disturbed fascination.

I dunno...I guess maybe outrage isn't the right word, unless using it in the context of the others involved in covering it up. For Sandusky, he committed the crimes, was tried and convicted for them, and now will serve time, which I suppose is exactly the way the judicial system is supposed to work...so yeah, maybe not quite outrage. Repulsion, for sure.

Pity is another word that comes to mind, both for the victims and their families, and for all those involved, including Sandusky himself.

Wes Mantooth
06-23-2012, 01:22 PM
You mean the situation? Or the DA himself? My guess is the DA is at the bottom of a river somewhere.

Happy Valley is a cult. I'm surprised this stuff got out in the first place.

They need to bring that whole place and institution down. Sandusky was allowed to rape children and the man whom first investigated is as you said disappeared forever.

The worst is this is a State sponsored school. Taxpayer dollars ultimately funded perverse corruption for years. If they were willing to cover this up, what else does the public not know about?

I hope it is investigated from top to bottom and they burn that whole place down. At a minimum, they should remove the football program for life.

Shananahan
06-23-2012, 01:36 PM
At a minimum, they should remove the football program for life.
I disagree with this. Removing the football program would unnecessarily punish a bunch of innocent people (current and potential student athletes, staff, fans, etc) and take away major revenue for the school itself, punishing even more who had nothing to do with it.

I completely agree with you about the top-down investigation, though. They should get rid of anybody who had even the most remote connection to the fiasco and start from scratch.

houghtam
06-23-2012, 01:40 PM
How much blame does McQueary get?

Tombstone RJ
06-23-2012, 02:05 PM
They need to bring that whole place and institution down. Sandusky was allowed to rape children and the man whom first investigated is as you said disappeared forever.

The worst is this is a State sponsored school. Taxpayer dollars ultimately funded perverse corruption for years. If they were willing to cover this up, what else does the public not know about?

I hope it is investigated from top to bottom and they burn that whole place down. At a minimum, they should remove the football program for life.

burn them!! burn them all at the stake!!

Wes Mantooth
06-23-2012, 02:47 PM
I disagree with this. Removing the football program would unnecessarily punish a bunch of innocent people (current and potential student athletes, staff, fans, etc) and take away major revenue for the school itself, punishing even more who had nothing to do with it.

I completely agree with you about the top-down investigation, though. They should get rid of anybody who had even the most remote connection to the fiasco and start from scratch.

What should then be the punishment for a school and football program who had to have known and covered up what most likely is the murder of a public official and the rape of innocent children? Programs are suspended by the NCAA for much less.

You can solve the students whom had nothing to do with this easily: allow them to transfer and play without sitting for a year. If they are on scholarship, make Penn state pay for their transfer.

Wes Mantooth
06-23-2012, 02:51 PM

I don't know. I believe (though I may be wrong) that every public employee is a mandatory reporter, but it is foggy as to where he handed this off and what he did. I heard that at trial he stated his actions in stopping the incident were "slamming the lockers real hard" so Sandusky knew someone else was there.

He did take what I would call a bribe however, accepting a promotion just after he stated the incident occurred. Pretty dirty in my book.

Shananahan
06-23-2012, 03:27 PM
What should then be the punishment for a school and football program who had to have known and covered up what most likely is the murder of a public official and the rape of innocent children? Programs are suspended by the NCAA for much less.

You can solve the students whom had nothing to do with this easily: allow them to transfer and play without sitting for a year. If they are on scholarship, make Penn state pay for their transfer.
The people within the program allowed this to happen, not the existence of the program itself. There is still much good that can be done with a football program at Penn State and no need to completely scrap that in order to simply punish those responsible.

Shananahan
06-23-2012, 03:30 PM
That's pretty hard to quantify, but.... a lot.

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-23-2012, 03:38 PM
This should also let victims see that it's ok to blow the whistle. Tell authorities. Parents. Social workers. Anyone. Don't keep it inside for fear of shame. Had the first victim aggressively tell someone back then maybe the other victims after wouldn't have been subjected to this predator.

cutthemdown
06-23-2012, 03:58 PM

Maybe you just repressed the showering afterwards. :)

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2012, 04:16 PM
The football program should not receive the death penalty....that is a knee jerk reaction to something terrible that happened, but it's not the correct thing to do.

The players and the majority of the coaching staff (especially the ones there now), the fans, and the alumni had nothing to do with any of this.

The ones who covered it up and are culpable need to be uncovered and pay for their actions on an individual basis.

Although this involves people intertwined with the football program, the heinous things that occurred are individual crimes. This is different than players taking money, recruiting violations, and other violations that would see the football program punished.

This is about individuals covering up crimes against children and trying to cover their own asses....these individuals need to pay on an individual basis.

Some people that work for the University did some bad things in covering this up and not acting right away....as a result the school will be held liable and will pay the price financially, individually, and also will have to move forward with a tarnished reputation....but Joe Paterno is gone, as are most of those who had any idea what was going on.

Giving the program the death penalty now would be doing nothing but punishing those who had nothing to do with this whole Jerry Sandusky situation.

That's my opinion....everyone else is entitled to their opinion as well.

st.bernard
06-23-2012, 06:06 PM
The football program should not receive the death penalty....that is a knee jerk reaction to something terrible that happened, but it's not the correct thing to do.

The players and the majority of the coaching staff (especially the ones there now), the fans, and the alumni had nothing to do with any of this.

The ones who covered it up and are culpable need to be uncovered and pay for their actions on an individual basis.

Although this involves people intertwined with the football program, the heinous things that occurred are individual crimes. This is different than players taking money, recruiting violations, and other violations that would see the football program punished.

This is about individuals covering up crimes against children and trying to cover their own asses....these individuals need to pay on an individual basis.

Some people that work for the University did some bad things in covering this up and not acting right away....as a result the school will be held liable and will pay the price financially, individually, and also will have to move forward with a tarnished reputation....but Joe Paterno is gone, as are most of those who had any idea what was going on.

Giving the program the death penalty now would be doing nothing but punishing those who had nothing to do with this whole Jerry Sandusky situation.

It is well that everyone has their own opinion. It is my belief that the death penalty for the football program is not only appropriate, but should be instituted immediately. The program was, at worst, compliant with Sandusky. Joe Pa said it himself, "should have done something sooner". Really? Joe Pa was, and still is Penn St football. This not only taints what he has done for individuals, but taints his legace and the program. But, of course, we all know that $$ will rule the day. Pretty much a litmus test for todays ncaa and what is important.

baja
06-23-2012, 08:27 PM
It is well that everyone has their own opinion. It is my belief that the death penalty for the football program is not only appropriate, but should be instituted immediately. The program was, at worst, compliant with Sandusky. Joe Pa said it himself, "should have done something sooner". Really? Joe Pa was, and still is Penn St football. This not only taints what he has done for individuals, but taints his legace and the program. But, of course, we all know that $$ will rule the day. Pretty much a litmus test for todays ncaa and what is important.

That would be akin to shooting that dog in your avatar because he had fleas.

houghtam
06-23-2012, 08:43 PM

More like shooting the dog because he had fleas, and axe murdering the entire neighborhood because they might have given them to it.

DBroncos4life
06-23-2012, 08:52 PM
So just what do you guys think should be done to Penn St then?

houghtam
06-23-2012, 09:07 PM

Nothing.

SouthStnd had a pretty good post. Individuals were at fault here. Several individuals, possibly even dozens. They should be investigated. There are tens of thousands of students that would be affected who had nothing to do with the situation...how is this their problem? Then add in the fact that the employees who work for the football stadium, etc. are now out of work? Not a good idea all around.

baja
06-23-2012, 09:21 PM

Read the Junkman's post.

lonestar
06-23-2012, 09:32 PM

Outstanding post, could not have said it better myself thanks for saving me the time in typing it..

Eventually others will pay with their freedom, money or life (suicide), just a matter of time..

lonestar
06-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Nothing.

SouthStnd had a pretty good post. Individuals were at fault here. Several individuals, possibly even dozens. They should be investigated. There are tens of thousands of students that would be affected who had nothing to do with the situation...how is this their problem? Then add in the fact that the employees who work for the football stadium, etc. are now out of work? Not a good idea all around.

many folks would shoot the mailman for bringing bad news..

in this case not that may folks knew about it and they will be ferreted out and punished either with jail time and or money..

PSU will be forever tarnished and many great athletes will decide th go elsewhere which in turn will cause the student body to suffer..

They will have to bring in TOP FLIGHT coaching to turn it around.. I do not believe that o'Brien is the man to do that..

After he is fired they will have to bring in a top notch existing Division one winner..

broncocalijohn
06-24-2012, 02:02 AM
There needs to be an over/under pool on how long he survives in prison. I wonder if my bookie is taking bets.

Too late for 2012 but if he can make it to the end of December, he is worth around 32 points in most death pools. Not sure if his wife counts as a celebrity but she might kick the bucket too.

broncocalijohn
06-24-2012, 02:08 AM

blah blah blah

This happens in almost every incident concerning the death penalty of college programs. USC almost had the death penalty and it was on a former player. That can only punish the former player so much but ultimately, it comes down to the program.
Penn State Football should have to pay for any civil penalties coming at them and it will be in the millions ($20 million for all?). If anyone outside the program is found to cover this up, then the school and football program should foot the bill. Hit them hard. If they raise the ticket prices to cover the cost, then all those morons who backed Sandusky and Paterno will know that their public support is now hitting them in the pocket book.

Bronco Yoda
06-24-2012, 02:47 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n2A194yTWoQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

st.bernard
06-24-2012, 08:08 AM

It must be ok to rape little boys, but not ok to cheat. Swell. So much for morality.

oubronco
06-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Big Bubba is gonna give Sandusky what he deserves over and over and over and over

baja
06-24-2012, 08:17 AM
It must be ok to rape little boys, but not ok to cheat. Swell. So much for morality.

Huh?

baja
06-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Big Bubba is gonna give Sandusky what he deserves over and over and over and over

Have you seen Sandusky? I doubt anyone will be tapping that. They will just kill him I suspect.

DBroncos4life
06-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Nothing.

So every fan and alum of SMU that had nothing to do with the paying of the players got dicked and that's ok but not a major crime cover up? Sorry if you think its ok for the NCAA to not punish a school for covering up a crime. I think punishing Penn St hard will show other schools that its not ok to just brush off crimes like this.

houghtam
06-24-2012, 10:05 AM
So every fan and alum of SMU that had nothing to do with the paying of the players got dicked and that's ok but not a major crime cover up? Sorry if you think its ok for the NCAA to not punish a school for covering up a crime. I think punishing Penn St hard will show other schools that its not ok to just brush off crimes like this.

When bad things happen in athletic departments, the natural inclination is that the NCAA will step in. The NCAA legislates standards for athletic departments and regulates compliance with those standards. When anything goes wrong, either in athletic facilities or with the people involved in college athletics, the first look is often to Indianapolis for the NCAA’s response.

That instinct can be wrong in some cases. The NCAA is an organization based on athletics and education. What the NCAA can do is thus limited. The NCAA can only enforce the bylaws that its members make. As a private organization rather than part of the government, the NCAA’s powers are also limited. And there is the issue of what rules are appropriate for the NCAA to be overseeing.

http://www.ncaa.org/blog/2011/11/crime-and-punishment/

The article goes on to state that "the membership could make it an NCAA violation for the people NCAA rules cover (athletic department and university employees, student-athletes, boosters, etc.) to use college athletics in the commission of a crime."

My understanding is that it is not currently the jurisdiction of the NCAA to do so. Therefore, yes. I believe nothing should be done.

RhymesayersDU
06-24-2012, 10:35 AM
http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/06/24/062412-news-sandusky-folo-1-2/

So, upon his arrival, his fellow prisoners started singing to him "Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone!"

I mean, I know this is a serious matter, but that is funny.

Wes Mantooth
06-24-2012, 11:08 AM
http://www.ncaa.org/blog/2011/11/crime-and-punishment/

The article goes on to state that "the membership could make it an NCAA violation for the people NCAA rules cover (athletic department and university employees, student-athletes, boosters, etc.) to use college athletics in the commission of a crime."

My understanding is that it is not currently the jurisdiction of the NCAA to do so. Therefore, yes. I believe nothing should be done.

The school administration and football program covered up the conduct of sandusky in the late 90's. McQuery was given a job in exchange for his silence. A DA is missing because he investigated.

The NCAA can cite that the school is not fit to control or run the program and should give them the death penalty.

lonestar
06-24-2012, 12:38 PM
The school administration and football program covered up the conduct of sandusky in the late 90's. McQuery was given a job in exchange for his silence. A DA is missing because he investigated.

The NCAA can cite that the school is not fit to control or run the program and should give them the death penalty.

As for who gave Mc Query the job he should be fired and anyone else that knew about it should be..

this a criminal issue not the schools fault..

If someone can be linked to that then THEY should be prosecuted the school can't be sent to jail..

NCAA is not going to eat its own on this, not going to happen.. Killing PSU would be counter productive as some NAIA would step in a heart beat to allow them to join.

As for it happening again no amount of sanctions could stop a pervert..

Most schools guard their reputations fiercely and will do what they have to, to keep them stellar..

Your thoughts are knee jerk in nature at best..

razorwire77
06-24-2012, 12:49 PM
http://www.nationalledger.com/politics-crime/jerry-sandusky-taunted-in-jail-by-229966.shtml#.T-dvBZGbut8

st.bernard
06-24-2012, 01:55 PM

Have you noticed how people aren't willing to stand up? Kinda like the McQueary guy. Let someone else do it if it's hard. But it astounds me that folks are willing to chop up a football program for cheating (SMU), but yet, the raping of little boys seems to be ok with these folks. Some sorta wacky society we are living in. Morals? lmao

OrangeSe7en
06-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Have you noticed how people aren't willing to stand up? Kinda like the McQueary guy. Let someone else do it if it's hard. But it astounds me that folks are willing to chop up a football program for cheating (SMU), but yet, the raping of little boys seems to be ok with these folks. Some sorta wacky society we are living in. Morals? lmao

What happened at SMU is completely different. An entire school and program benefited by breaking the rules in an over the top way. The thing with Penn St. is a criminal matter, not one of competition. The people who are culpable should be prosecuted by the DA, not the NCAA. It's not even the NCAAs place. And even if it was, they shouldnt be trusted with this.

broncocalijohn
06-24-2012, 02:21 PM
What happened at SMU is completely different. An entire school and program benefited by breaking the rules in an over the top way. The thing with Penn St. is a criminal matter, not one of competition. The people who are culpable should be prosecuted by the DA, not the NCAA. It's not even the NCAAs place. And even if it was, they shouldnt be trusted with this.

It came down to staying competitive. They knew if it got out, less money would be contributed and parents wouldn't want their sons to play football at PSU. The hush hush part was all about protecting the program and school.

DBroncos4life
06-24-2012, 02:24 PM
It came down to staying competitive. They knew if it got out, less money would be contributed and parents wouldn't want their sons to play football at PSU. The hush hush part was all about protecting the program and school.

Exactly.

OrangeSe7en
06-24-2012, 02:35 PM

Thats debatebable. But even if you're correct, you're not making it a case that it's close to the same as SMU. You're really not even making a case that it's for the NCAA.

It's simply impossible to parse out what they were protecting. In the end, what happened was a criminal act. In the case of USC and Washington (with Neuheisel), it was about compliance. What compliance issue does this relate to? It doesnt.

DBroncos4life
06-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Thats debatebable. But even if you're correct, you're not making it a case that it's close to the same as SMU. You're really not even making a case that it's for the NCAA.

It's simply impossible to parse out what they were protecting. In the end, what happened was a criminal act. In the case of USC and Washington (with Neuheisel), it was about compliance. What compliance issue does this relate to? It doesnt.

We don't need to make a case that it's close to the same as SMU, it's ****ing a million times worse. Debate that away.

broncocalijohn
06-24-2012, 02:54 PM

I don't need to compare to SMU. This is entirely on its own as I don't know any other program that protected an accused (and now convicted) child molester from the authorities because of his involvement with the football program. Who cares why either to protect the program or their friend. They protected him from being convicted and allowed more kids to be raped by Sandusky. It started with Paterno and went to the President of the university. You are correct, nothing like SMU. No kids were harmed in that instance.

Wes Mantooth
06-24-2012, 02:54 PM
As for who gave Mc Query the job he should be fired and anyone else that knew about it should be..

this a criminal issue not the schools fault..

If someone can be linked to that then THEY should be prosecuted the school can't be sent to jail..

NCAA is not going to eat its own on this, not going to happen.. Killing PSU would be counter productive as some NAIA would step in a heart beat to allow them to join.

As for it happening again no amount of sanctions could stop a pervert..

Most schools guard their reputations fiercely and will do what they have to, to keep them stellar..

Your thoughts are knee jerk in nature at best..

So if the Police Chief, AD, President of the school and most likely much of the football coaching staff knew of what happened and chose not to stop it, their should be no sanctions on the program? The whole thing was covered up in the name of protecting the program. The football program directly benefited from the cover up. This is the perfect example of "lack of institutional control" and the NCAA has jurisdiction over it regardless of what criminal investigation takes place.

Now that the pervert is behind bars, I hope they penalize to the fullest extent the institution that enabled him to continue to rape innocent children long after they found out. Give students options to go elsewhere and student athletes ability to play elsewhere without penalty or sitting out a year.

baja
06-24-2012, 02:57 PM
So if the Police Chief, AD, President of the school and most likely much of the football coaching staff knew of what happened and chose not to stop it, their should be no sanctions on the program? The whole thing was covered up in the name of protecting the program. The football program directly benefited from the cover up. This is the perfect example of "lack of institutional control" and the NCAA has jurisdiction over it regardless of what criminal investigation takes place.

Now that the pervert is behind bars, I hope they penalize to the fullest extent the institution that enabled him to continue to rape innocent children long after they found out. Give students options to go elsewhere and student athletes ability to play elsewhere without penalty or sitting out a year.

Not to single you out but to you guys saying it was a massive cover up to protect the program if that was the case their first act in the cover up would have been to fire Sandusky

DBroncos4life
06-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Not to single you out but to you guys saying it was a massive cover up to protect the program if that was the case their first act in the cover up would have been to fire Sandusky

Like what they did in 1999?

DBroncos4life
06-24-2012, 03:07 PM
When Jerry Sandusky retired as Penn State’s defensive coordinator in 1999, was it because he decided he was done coaching, or because the football program asked him to step down to keep a 1998 sexual molestation case quiet? The more we review all the information from the time period, the more we’re convinced an agreement was reached for Sandusky to walk away from his job and leave college football for good. There are many reasons that support this theory.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/jerry-sanduskys-1999-retirement-forced-out/98643

Jerry Sandusky is still getting paid by Penn State University.

Yes, you read that correctly. The man who is charged with 40 counts of child sex abuse is still receiving more than $50,000 a year in pension money for the job he worked when many of the alleged acts took place.

The Patriot-News tells us exactly how much Sandusky is currently making from the state of Pennsylvania via the university:

“When he retired, Sandusky opted to take a lump-sum pension payment of $148,271 from the State Employees’ Retirement System. The rest of his pension is being paid out monthly and is $58,898 annually.”

$58,898 a year is a ridiculous sum for the state to be paying a man who many people within the university allegedly knew was attacking children.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/938563-penn-state-scandal-why-jerry-sanduskys-pension-is-another-black-mark

Wes Mantooth
06-24-2012, 03:09 PM

He was allowed to "retire" and continue the rape of children.

lonestar
06-24-2012, 03:12 PM

If the Police Chief Knew then he should be brought up on dereliction of duty..

I doubt seriously if anyone much past Joe P and maybe a few others might have known..

Joe P ran a very tight ship and he was God in that town for that matter part of the state..

Yet it is unlikely that more folks knew what was going on.. because people talk, regardless of Joe P..

If the AD knew then he should be fired.. but burning down the school is a bit much..

The NCAA knows it is a hot potato and they will not touch it and will let it play out in the courts.. They also know the NAIA would jump at the chance of picking up a premier program..

Requiem
06-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Get rid of the University as a whole. Such a disgrace.

lonestar
06-24-2012, 03:17 PM
When Jerry Sandusky retired as Penn State’s defensive coordinator in 1999, was it because he decided he was done coaching, or because the football program asked him to step down to keep a 1998 sexual molestation case quiet? The more we review all the information from the time period, the more we’re convinced an agreement was reached for Sandusky to walk away from his job and leave college football for good. There are many reasons that support this theory.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/jerry-sanduskys-1999-retirement-forced-out/98643

Jerry Sandusky is still getting paid by Penn State University.

Yes, you read that correctly. The man who is charged with 40 counts of child sex abuse is still receiving more than $50,000 a year in pension money for the job he worked when many of the alleged acts took place.

The Patriot-News tells us exactly how much Sandusky is currently making from the state of Pennsylvania via the university:

“When he retired, Sandusky opted to take a lump-sum pension payment of $148,271 from the State Employees’ Retirement System. The rest of his pension is being paid out monthly and is $58,898 annually.”

$58,898 a year is a ridiculous sum for the state to be paying a man who many people within the university allegedly knew was attacking children.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/938563-penn-state-scandal-why-jerry-sanduskys-pension-is-another-black-mark

It is a pension.. something he earned..

Would you say it would be ok to take over someones savings bank account and not allow him to draw from it, because he is in jail?

it is the same thing..

IF they still had him on the payroll it would ne something to piss and moan about..

Wes Mantooth
06-24-2012, 03:20 PM
It is a pension.. something he earned..

Would you say it would be ok to take over someones savings bank account and not allow him to draw from it, because he is in jail?

it is the same thing..

IF they still had him on the payroll it would ne something to piss and moan about..

Do sponsered events to support his children foundation count?

OrangeSe7en
06-24-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't need to compare to SMU. This is entirely on its own as I don't know any other program that protected an accused (and now convicted) child molester from the authorities because of his involvement with the football program. Who cares why either to protect the program or their friend. They protected him from being convicted and allowed more kids to be raped by Sandusky. It started with Paterno and went to the President of the university. You are correct, nothing like SMU. No kids were harmed in that instance.

You're missing on the part about the NCAA policing their rules and not crimes per se. Thats the role of the NCAA. Also, you seem to be really adamant about making the point that this is worse than what happened with SMU. That doesnt mean it belongs to the NCAA. The fact that it's worse is why people can potentially go to prison for breaking the law.

st.bernard
06-24-2012, 05:58 PM
There have been good arguments both for and against the death penalty for the football program. To me (just my opinion), the University itself helped in covering this up. If the president of the university helped with this thing, then that is tantamount to the university itself protecting the cash cow football program. SMU cheated. Penn St helped Sandusky rape, and continue to rape little boys. From the football program, to the top rungs of the school administration. Put all the perpetrators in Jail, and sanction the bejeezus out of the school and close the football program. Again, just my opinion on the matter.

Wes Mantooth
06-30-2012, 12:18 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8114416/report-former-penn-state-officials-exchanged-emails-jerry-sandusky-allegations-2001

Thought I would bump. Evidence now that 3 officials and Joe Pa himself were directly linked to not taking to the authorities. Agree with St. Bernarnd. Shut that place down!

Tombstone RJ
06-30-2012, 11:16 AM
There have been good arguments both for and against the death penalty for the football program. To me (just my opinion), the University itself helped in covering this up. If the president of the university helped with this thing, then that is tantamount to the university itself protecting the cash cow football program. SMU cheated. Penn St helped Sandusky rape, and continue to rape little boys. From the football program, to the top rungs of the school administration. Put all the perpetrators in Jail, and sanction the bejeezus out of the school and close the football program. Again, just my opinion on the matter.

That's just a gross exageration. The university did not help Sandusky rape anyone. The question is, what did they do, or what did they not do in order to investigate and stop Sandusky. Obviously there is going to be more of an investigation and I'm sure others will hang for this stuff. But to say the university "helped" Sandusky is silly and based on emotion.

Should the football program be destroyed because of what happened, I don't know. I do think it should be disciplined in some way, but if you burn the whole program down how is that going to help the victoms or anyone else for that matter? Is this going to stop child rape in any way?

jerseyboiler120
06-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Turning a blind eye is helping someone commit crimes; it can be argued that the help is indirect but it still helps the person carry out their disgusting acts.

I've lived in jersey for about 14 years now. I can tell you first hand that school thinks their sh*t don't stink at all. Everyone affiliated with that school is brainwashed into the belief that happy valley is actually the launching pad directly to God himself. The rest of us simply are too dumb and without talent of any kind to match the penn stateness. I've been there for a couple football games to watch my alma mater and quite frankly have not seen more rude fans and people anywhere (which includes raider games wearing my Orange and Blue and chiefs and even stee-luhs).

JoePa and the gang were revered as The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit, and the rest of the Saints of humanity. And yet they did nothing to stop this from occurring??? And listening to sandusky is sickening; he doesn't get that he did anything wrong because he was brainwashed in the penn state way. He thought he was empowered by God (which is JoePa at penn state) to do whatever he pleased because those boys should have to give their souls to simply set foot on penn state football grounds; truly hallowed in their minds.

Wes Mantooth
06-30-2012, 05:18 PM
That's just a gross exageration. The university did not help Sandusky rape anyone. The question is, what did they do, or what did they not do in order to investigate and stop Sandusky. Obviously there is going to be more of an investigation and I'm sure others will hang for this stuff. But to say the university "helped" Sandusky is silly and based on emotion.

Should the football program be destroyed because of what happened, I don't know. I do think it should be disciplined in some way, but if you burn the whole program down how is that going to help the victoms or anyone else for that matter? Is this going to stop child rape in any way?

So if the school knew that Sandusky had assaulted a boy, decided not to take it to authorities and gave him his retirement and let him go on his way, how is this not helping him rape children? This is not silly, this is a cover-up so that the name of the school would not be tarnished.

houghtam
06-30-2012, 05:32 PM
So if the school knew that Sandusky had assaulted a boy, decided not to take it to authorities and gave him his retirement and let him go on his way, how is this not helping him rape children? This is not silly, this is a cover-up so that the name of the school would not be tarnished.

Define "the school". There's the problem with this argument.

Tombstone RJ
06-30-2012, 06:43 PM

I know, I know! What I'm saying is that who knew what EXACTLY? Yes, perhaps there was a "cover up" then those involved should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. However, I'm not convinced the entire football program should be burned to the ground.

broncocalijohn
06-30-2012, 07:17 PM

LOL! How about you not realizing they didn't help in stopping him and even helped have Sandusky continue to rape these boys is based on YOUR emotion. If I stand there and watch you or have good information that you raped a boy and I did nothing about it then you continue to rape that boy and countless others, I was helping you raping kids. If I turned your ass in then I STOPPED you from raping boys. Pretty simple. Rape is so sick that most would consider it a crime to stand there and do absolutely nothing about knowing a crime went on. If it isn't a crime to some then they would at least acknowledge that he helped you continue your crime. Pretty simple.
Don't be a brick. Which school Houghtam? That response is laughable.

lonestar
06-30-2012, 07:29 PM
LOL! How about you not realizing they didn't help in stopping him and even helped have Sandusky continue to rape these boys is based on YOUR emotion. If I stand there and watch you or have good information that you raped a boy and I did nothing about it then you continue to rape that boy and countless others, I was helping you raping kids. If I turned your ass in then I STOPPED you from raping boys. Pretty simple. Rape is so sick that most would consider it a crime to stand there and do absolutely nothing about knowing a crime went on. If it isn't a crime to some then they would at least acknowledge that he helped you continue your crime. Pretty simple.

I do not think any one is saying the INDIVDUALS that knew something about this should not be punished..

They are saying "killing" the football program is not the way to punish those folks..

All it does is hurt the students, faculty, and everyone that works at or near the school..

If the chancellor or President of the school knew about it and did not stop it then hang him..

I do not beleive that ANYONE would have an issue with that..

houghtam
06-30-2012, 07:42 PM

The problem with your analogy is that in your scenario you're advocating shutting down the Orangemane just because of your inaction.

Stuck in Cali
06-30-2012, 08:07 PM
I do not think any one is saying the INDIVDUALS that knew something about this should not be punished..

They are saying "killing" the football program is not the way to punish those folks..

All it does is hurt the students, faculty, and everyone that works at or near the school..

If the chancellor or President of the school knew about it and did not stop it then hang him..

I do not beleive that ANYONE would have an issue with that..

Exactly. By canning the whole program, all that will happen is that more people will be hurt without any knowledge of what was going on.

Punish the guilty people involved, leave the innocent alone.

lonestar
06-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Exactly. By canning the whole program, all that will happen is that more people will be hurt without any knowledge of what was going on.

Makes sense.. but their are folks that hate the program for what ever reason..

I will be forever grateful to it for IIRC being Linebacker U..

but those fans of team that Paw Joe kicked their asses all the time, want teh program gone..

houghtam
06-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Makes sense.. but their are folks that hate the program for what ever reason..

I will be forever grateful to it for IIRC being Linebacker U..

but those fans of team that Paw Joe kicked their asses all the time, want teh program gone..

I'm a Michigan State fan. I LOATHE Penn State. It's a ****ty university with a cult-like following. I hate only Michigan and Ohio State more than Penn State when it comes to football.

But I can't advocate punishing those who weren't involved, much as I enjoyed watching those suckers implode over the loss of their dumbass coach.

broncocalijohn
06-30-2012, 08:34 PM
The problem with your analogy is that in your scenario you're advocating shutting down the Orangemane just because of your inaction.

Tough to shut this down when we had no knowledge of what went on. Programs get probation and get things like loss of scholorships for the program, no bowl games, etc. We have to look at this and say is this worse than SMU deal of the 80s. If those in the know, including Joe Pa and the Chancellor, then the NCAA might have a very good point of restricting everything about the program on limiting to just regular season in the Big 10 or even death penalty for a few years. If you were neutral from football and look at it for what it is, a death sentence is what might be needed for punishment. Who cares about everyone's else job, scholorship, etc. What happened is pretty sick and I would be feeling sick to play for such a school and program. They protected a pedophile rapist for the sake of the program's name. **** them!

broncocalijohn
06-30-2012, 08:36 PM

Then nothing should have happened to USC when Reggie Bush took money knowingly against NCAA rules. I mean if the safety didnt have any knowledge of it or the head cheerleader, why punish them to go to a bowl game. Just go after those few involved and never punish the program. Is this what you mean? BTW, I am a USC fan.

lonestar
06-30-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm a Michigan State fan. I LOATHE Penn State. It's a ****ty university with a cult-like following. I hate only Michigan and Ohio State more than Penn State when it comes to football.

But I can't advocate punishing those who weren't involved, much as I enjoyed watching those suckers implode over the loss of their dumbass coach.

Well then, your thinking with your big head more than the small one..

I used to hate OU and OSU because as an EX BUF they killed us all the time..

after my daughter got a Full ride to a small college in OKC I got to know the fans and the teams because I was there most weekends in during FB season..

Now I kind of root for all the teams..

I like great programs and to say that CU's was better would have been foolish..

I feel much the same way about Pro Teams..

While I want to win it all I know that NE, PIT, BAL all have had better programs for a longer time.. I'm hoping that John will be able to bring us up to those standards very soon..

While most fans can't see the forest for the trees and hate certain teams I see that as immaturity..

Stuck in Cali
06-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Then nothing should have happened to USC when Reggie Bush took money knowingly against NCAA rules. I mean if the safety didnt have any knowledge of it or the head cheerleader, why punish them to go to a bowl game. Just go after those few involved and never punish the program. Is this what you mean? BTW, I am a USC fan.

I'm just talking about this situation. I do not keep up with college football, too many teams/players and turnover in said players to keep my interest. I'll watch games but just cause its football, will not go out of my way by any means like I do to make sure I watch every Broncos game.

I do not think its fair to shut a program down just cause of what a few did. Punish them and if it is necessary for the NCAA to dole out some sanctions to the school so be it. Better than just getting rid of the whole program.

houghtam
06-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm just talking about this situation. I do not keep up with college football, too many teams/players and turnover in said players to keep my interest. I'll watch games but just cause its football, will not go out of my way by any means like I do to make sure I watch every Broncos game.

I do not think its fair to shut a program down just cause of what a few did. Punish them and if it is necessary for the NCAA to dole out some sanctions to the school so be it. Better than just getting rid of the whole program.

The thing that people are not remembering or not knowing is that the NCAA can only go as far as its members mandate. As it stated in a link from the official NCAA website, it is not generally their business to act on criminal activity, and I seriously doubt they're going to touch this one with a ten foot pole. From what I'm reading, they'd actually have to change the by-laws (which would require a vote by member institutions) to even consider doing anything.

It's okay to be angry, and perhaps even justified to want the program to burn, but that's just not the way things work. Criminals get tried in court. NCAA generally sticks to competitive balance type things. We can argue what we think should be done til we're all blue in the face, but the Penn State football program won't be going anywhere.

Wes Mantooth
06-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Define "the school". There's the problem with this argument.

Athletic Director, President, Head football coach (most likely the staff), Campus security. You know, those guys that approve budgets and make decisions like covering up rape.

Wes Mantooth
07-12-2012, 09:32 AM
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20120710/US.Penn.State.Abuse/?cid=hero_media

PHILADELPHIA — Joe Paterno and other top Penn State officials hushed up child sex abuse allegations against Jerry Sandusky more than a decade ago for fear of bad publicity, allowing the former assistant football coach to prey on other youngsters, according to a scathing report issued Thursday on the scandal.

"Our most saddening and sobering finding is the total disregard for the safety and welfare of Sandusky's child victims by the most senior leaders at Penn State," said former FBI Director Louis Freeh, who was hired by university trustees to look into what has become one of sports' biggest scandals. "The most powerful men at Penn State failed to take any steps for 14 years to protect the children who Sandusky victimized."

After an eight-month investigation, Freeh's firm produced a 267-page report that concluded that the Hall of Fame coach, President Graham Spanier, athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz "repeatedly concealed critical facts relating to Sandusky's child abuse."

Paterno "was an integral part of this active decision to conceal" and his firing was justified, Freeh said at a news conference. He called the officials' disregard for child victims "callous and shocking."

Sandusky is awaiting sentencing after being convicted of 45 criminal counts for abusing 10 boys. The scandal led to the ouster of Paterno and Spanier. Curley and Schultz are awaiting trial on charges accusing them of lying to a grand jury and failing to report abuse. They have pleaded not guilty.

Asked whether the officials' actions amounted to a crime such as conspiracy or obstruction, Freeh said that would be up to a grand jury.

School leaders "empowered Sandusky to attract potential victims to the campus and football events by allowing him to have continued, unrestricted and unsupervised access" to campus and to affiliate with the football program, the report said. The access, the report states, "provided Sandusky with the very currency that enabled him to attract his victims."

Freeh said officials had opportunities in 1998 and 2001 to step in.

Sexual abuse might have been prevented if university officials had banned Sandusky from bringing children onto campus after a 1998 inquiry, the report said. Despite their knowledge of the police probe into Sandusky showering with a boy in a football locker room, Spanier, Paterno, Curley and Schultz took no action to limit his access to campus, the report said.

The May 1998 complaint by a woman whose son came home with wet hair after showering with Sandusky didn't result in charges at the time. The report says Schultz was worried the matter could be opening "Pandora's box."

Then, in 2001, after a member of Paterno's staff saw Sandusky in a campus shower with a boy, officials did bar him from bringing children to campus and decided not to report him to child welfare authorities.

"There's more red flags here than you could count over a long period of time," Freeh said.

In a statement, Paterno's family said the longtime coach made mistakes that he acknowledged but "never interfered with any investigation" and was fooled by Sandusky.

"The idea that any sane, responsible adult would knowingly cover up for a child predator is impossible to accept. The far more realistic conclusion is that many people didn't fully understand what was happening and underestimated or misinterpreted events," the statement said. "If Joe Paterno had understood what Sandusky was, a fear of bad publicity would not have factored into his actions."

Trustee Anthony Lubrano, a critic of the board's dismissal of Paterno in November, said the board was still formulating a response.

Freeh also said Sandusky's conduct was in part a result of the school's lack of transparency, which stemmed from a "failure of governance" on the part of officials and the board of trustees. He said the collective inaction and mindset at the top of the university trickled all the way down to a school janitor who was afraid for his job and opted to not report seeing sex abuse in a school locker room in 2000.

The report also singled out the revered Penn State football program — one built on the motto "success with honor" — for criticism. It says Paterno and university leaders allowed Sandusky to retire in 1999, "not as a suspected child predator, but as a valued member of the Penn State football legacy, with future `visibility' at Penn State'," allowing him to groom victims.

Investigators, however, found no evidence linking his $168,000 retirement package to the 1998 police investigation. Freeh called the payout unprecedented but said there was no evidence it was an attempt to buy Sandusky's silence.

Sandusky's trial last month included gut-wrenching testimony from eight young men who said he abused them as boys, sometimes on campus, and included testimony that showed he used his prestige as a university celebrity to manipulate the children.

By contrast, Freeh's team focused on Penn State and what its employees did — or did not do — to protect children.

More than 430 current or former school employees were interviewed since November, including nearly everyone associated with the football program under Paterno. The Hall of Fame coach died of lung cancer in January at age 85, without telling Freeh's team his account of what happened.

Some of the report's most damning evidence against Paterno consists of handwritten notes and emails that portray him as being involved with a decision by the officials not to tell child welfare authorities about the 2001 encounter.

Spanier, Schultz and Curley drew up a plan that called for reporting Sandusky to the state Department of Child Welfare. But Curley later said in an email that he changed his mind about the plan "after giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe."

Spanier concurred but noted "the only downside for us is if the message isn't (heard) and acted upon and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it."

The emails also show Paterno closely followed the 1998 allegation.

With the report now complete, the NCAA said Penn State now must address four key questions concerning "institutional control and ethics policies," as outlined in a letter sent to the school last fall.

"Penn State's response to the letter will inform our next steps, including whether or not to take further action," said Bob Williams, the NCAA's vice president of communications. "We expect Penn State's continued cooperation in our examination of these issues."

The U.S. Department of Education is examining whether the school violated the Clery Act, which requires reporting of certain crimes on campus, including ones of a sexual nature. The report said Penn State's "awareness and interest" in Clery Act compliance was "significantly lacking."

Only one form used to report such crimes was completed on campus from 2007 through 2011, according to the Freeh findings. And no record exists of Paterno, Curley or assistant coach Mike McQueary reporting that McQueary saw Sandusky in a shower with a boy in 2001, as they would be obligated to do under the Clery Act.

As of last November, Penn State's policies for Clery compliance were still in draft form and had not been implemented, the report found.

U.S. Department of Education said it was still examining whether Penn State violated the Clery Act, but declined to comment on Freeh's report.

Mary Krupa, an 18-year-old Penn State freshman who grew up in State College, said the conclusion that the school's highest officials were derelict in protecting children didn't shake her love of the town or the school.

"The actions of five or six people don't reflect on the hundreds of thousands" of students and faculty who make up the Penn State community, she said while walking through the student union building on campus.

Freeh said he regretted the damage the findings would do to Paterno's "terrific legacy" but there was no attempt to pin the blame on the late coach.

"What my report says is what the evidence and the facts show," he said.

Christian Beveridge, a masonry worker who grew up near Penn State, said the findings will ruin Paterno's legacy but not the closeness that people in town and fans feel for him.

"He built this town," said Beveridge, 40, resting in the shade on campus during a break. "All of his victories, he'll be remembered by everyone in town for a long time, but there will be that hesitation."

___

Armas reported from Scranton and Scolforo from Harrisburg. Marc Levy in State College, Maryclaire Dale in Philadelphia and Tim Reynolds in Miami contributed to this report.

broncocalijohn
07-12-2012, 09:42 AM
time for the school to have sanctions against them. Wish Joe Pa lived long enough to try to defend his actions with this proof.

bronco militia
07-12-2012, 09:51 AM
I figured that ****er died of guilt.....burn in hell PSU

spdirty
07-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Should be 5 years no football and give the football players free transfers without having to sit out a transfer year. Also cut federal funding to Penn State for at least 14 years. That would happen if the ncaa and this country had any balls.

Wes Mantooth
07-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Should be 5 years no football and give the football players free transfers without having to sit out a transfer year. Also cut federal funding to Penn State for at least 14 years. That would happen if the ncaa and this country had any balls.

Right on. A disgrace to higher learning and college athletics. They deserve whatever happens.

broncosteven
07-12-2012, 02:10 PM
The defendants may not see all their Civil suit money from Sandusky but I hope they go after PSU and get some cash from them.

Majik
07-12-2012, 02:44 PM
I find it very hard to believe the incident in 1998 was the 1st cover up. Sandusky was already 54 years old, there's no way he waited till his 50's to start molesting kids.

spdirty
07-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Hopefully the inmates will get to Sandusky before he kills himself.

broncosteven
07-12-2012, 03:43 PM
I find it very hard to believe the incident in 1998 was the 1st cover up. Sandusky was already 54 years old, there's no way he waited till his 50's to start molesting kids.

Who knows what a serial rapist/pedo thinks but he could have thought about it all his adult life or used porn then he could have built up his foundation to target the kids least likely to understand what he was doing. Then I am sure it got easier for him to target more and more after not getting caught.

Look at what Gacy did, he became a clown to be around kids and did things to lure them to where he could molest then kill them.

These kind of people are not human and I hope he gets his in jail.

Queersforbroncos69
07-12-2012, 03:53 PM
I think Sandusky was set up.

houghtam
07-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Now that the report is out, I'm much less concerned about what the NCAA will/should do to Penn St, than I am with what Penn St. is going to do.

A respectable organization would do everything they could to make restitution for this, even though any restitution would never make up for what happened.

- They received record donations this year. They should AT LEAST turn over all moneys donated (over and above what they normally take in) to a charity foundation, whether it be one supporting victims of child sexual abuse or one that the victims choose.

- They should remove all iconography on campus and elsewhere that venerates anyone involved in the scandal.

- They should themselves admit to their wrongdoings, and issue a formal apology not only to the victims and their families, but to the student body, university employees, and citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

This is all over and above any sanctions, etc. they should choose to impose upon themselves.

broncosteven
07-12-2012, 06:10 PM

I think a mod will find your account and shut it down.

broncosteven
07-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Now that the report is out, I'm much less concerned about what the NCAA will/should do to Penn St, than I am with what Penn St. is going to do.

A respectable organization would do everything they could to make restitution for this, even though any restitution would never make up for what happened.

- They received record donations this year. They should AT LEAST turn over all moneys donated (over and above what they normally take in) to a charity foundation, whether it be one supporting victims of child sexual abuse or one that the victims choose.

- They should remove all iconography on campus and elsewhere that venerates anyone involved in the scandal.

- They should themselves admit to their wrongdoings, and issue a formal apology not only to the victims and their families, but to the student body, university employees, and citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

This is all over and above any sanctions, etc. they should choose to impose upon themselves.

They SHOULD shutdown their football program for a couple years if they really wanted to send a message that they do not condone activity like that and to tell others on campus that no one is above the law but sadly that won't happen, they make too much money off it.

SoCalBronco
07-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Your username is inappropriate as is your tag line under the picture of Elway.

Enjoy your vacation, troll.

broncosteven
07-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Your username is inappropriate as is your tag line under the picture of Elway.

Enjoy your vacation, troll.

Apparently I was right!

LOL

oubronco
07-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Well that didn't take long

Wes Mantooth
07-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Again, I can't help but believe that the missing DA is tied from several years ago is tied to this scandal. I hope justice is served and all wrongs addressed.

Garcia Bronco
07-12-2012, 11:09 PM
If the DE comes down on them like they should, PSU would lose all Federal Financial Aid. If the NCAA comes down on them like they should, that football program would be 5 years without a bowl game and scholarship money cut completely for the football program.

ol#7
07-13-2012, 12:11 AM
If the DE comes down on them like they should, PSU would lose all Federal Financial Aid. If the NCAA comes down on them like they should, that football program would be 5 years without a bowl game and scholarship money cut completely for the football program.

These aren't NCAA violations. They have no authority to do anything to Penn State.

Penn State is forever stained. It doesn't matter what steps they take now, that is a black eye that will never go away.

baja
07-13-2012, 03:53 AM
I think this is more on Paterno and those involved than the entire university.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/colleges/2012/07/12/report-shows-paterno-failed-victims/is0ZTLAzYSekCaXzIUy3iP/story.html

Garcia Bronco
07-13-2012, 05:19 AM
These aren't NCAA violations. They have no authority to do anything to Penn State.

Penn State is forever stained. It doesn't matter what steps they take now, that is a black eye that will never go away.

The did violate NCAA regulations. Including but not limited to the code of conduct. They held this under wraps to keep recruiting up and money changed hands as well in the process. This is as dirty as it gets.

baja
07-13-2012, 07:23 AM
What I don't get is why didn't they just fire Sandusky back when they first knew. It's unbelievable they kept him on and kept covering up this awful crime. Did Sandusky have something on Paterno or the university?

ol#7
07-13-2012, 07:34 AM
The did violate NCAA regulations. Including but not limited to the code of conduct. They held this under wraps to keep recruiting up and money changed hands as well in the process. This is as dirty as it gets.

I understand you want to see Penn State burn over this, but it is a stretch to turn what is criminally negligent into a violation having anything to do with the authority the NCAA has. You are really reaching when you attempt to connect the two things together.

ol#7
07-13-2012, 07:39 AM
What I don't get is why didn't they just fire Sandusky back when they first knew. It's unbelievable they kept him on and kept covering up this awful crime. Did Sandusky have something on Paterno or the university?

Well apparantly he was forced into retirement and got 165k. Although they make it seem as if Sandusky himself decided to retire, I agree that aspect is awfully fishy.

But according to the just released account, they hoped the problem would just go away and someone else would blow the whistle. If they fired him they would have had to deal with the possible connection to the program in 98', so they opted for the cowards way out.

It is pretty damning to the Paterno legacy that he knew about the 98 incident according to this report and was enquiring into it, even more so that it surfaced again with McQuery coming to him in 01'. If 98' hadn't already happened, you could make an argument that Paterno did what he thought was right in reporting it to his bosses, however knowing that he knew this about Sandusky previously and still didn't act...that is just inexcusable.

spdirty
07-13-2012, 08:26 AM
I understand you want to see Penn State burn over this, but it is a stretch to turn what is criminally negligent into a violation having anything to do with the authority the NCAA has. You are really reaching when you attempt to connect the two things together.

The NCAA can do what they want. They are a member run organization that can set precedent whenever they want to. How would this not fall under the "Lack of institutional control" violation that they use so often when handing down sanctions?

houghtam
07-13-2012, 08:41 AM
The NCAA can do what they want. They are a member run organization that can set precedent whenever they want to. How would this not fall under the "Lack of institutional control" violation that they use so often when handing down sanctions?

Actually this is wholly untrue. In the link I provided a few pages back they explicitly state that their jurisdiction in criminal matters only extends as far as they are allowed to by the member institutions. The NCAA cannot act without approval by the member institutions, which is generally why the NCAA never gets involved in criminal issues. Sanctions an other punishments usually only are doled out for violations of a natire that upset the competitive balance. I would not be surprised if the NCAA says sorry there is nothing we can do.

ohiobronco2
07-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Penn St. may not be punished for this, but the NCAA will use this as an excuse to exhaustively look over everything. They will find something and levy some kind of punishment against the university. May not be the death penalty, but I'd suspect they will have reductions and a potential bowl ban. This will always follow the program around.

Wes Mantooth
07-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Lack of institutional control is a violation according to NCAA

DBroncos4life
07-13-2012, 04:06 PM

That pretty much is like disorderly conduct for the police when they want to **** you over but have no other law that will stick.

houghtam
07-13-2012, 04:07 PM

But it is usually only enforced in the case of upsetting competitive balance. Again, read the link.

http://www.ncaa.org/blog/author/johninfante/

The author states quite succinctly that "the NCAA can only enforce the bylaws that its members make. As a private organization rather than part of the government, the NCAA’s powers are also limited. And there is the issue of what rules are appropriate for the NCAA to be overseeing...the membership could make it an NCAA violation for the people NCAA rules cover (athletic department and university employees, student-athletes, boosters, etc.) to use college athletics in the commission of a crime."

So to say that the NCAA "can do what they want" is outright wrong. To say that they may act is correct, but whether this controversy falls under the umbrella of LOIC as it relates to what the NCAA is actually able to act on remains to be seen. I would not be surprised in the least to see the NCAA do absolutely nothing.

DBroncos4life
07-13-2012, 04:13 PM
But it is usually only enforced in the case of upsetting competitive balance. Again, read the link.

http://www.ncaa.org/blog/author/johninfante/

The author states quite succinctly that "the NCAA can only enforce the bylaws that its members make. As a private organization rather than part of the government, the NCAA’s powers are also limited. And there is the issue of what rules are appropriate for the NCAA to be overseeing...the membership could make it an NCAA violation for the people NCAA rules cover (athletic department and university employees, student-athletes, boosters, etc.) to use college athletics in the commission of a crime."

So to say that the NCAA "can do what they want" is outright wrong. To say that they may act is correct, but whether this controversy falls under the umbrella of LOIC as it relates to what the NCAA is actually able to act on remains to be seen. I would not be surprised in the least to see the NCAA do absolutely nothing.
If you don't think covering up rape didn't help keep money and recruits coming in I don't know what to tell you.

Tombstone RJ
07-13-2012, 04:13 PM
I just read an article in the local paper about the FBI investigation and it's very dishartening to say the least. I was holding out hope that JoPa & Co. didn't brush things under the rug but it appears that is what happened. I'm very saddened by this news as I am a football fan and I think Joe Pa's legacy will now be permanently destroyed because of this scandle. I also think the entire football program might now be in jeopardy. It's insane that people at the top made such bad and callous decisions and as a result, hideous crimes were committed by one sick individual. Well, now the ramifications of these bad decisions will be fully unleashed on everyone at PSU, and rightfully so.

DBroncos4life
07-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Covering this up kept PSU in prime time TV games as well. Recruits want to be shown on TV so they get exposure.

OrangeSe7en
07-13-2012, 04:46 PM
I just read an article in the local paper about the FBI investigation and it's very dishartening to say the least. I was holding out hope that JoPa & Co. didn't brush things under the rug but it appears that is what happened. I'm very saddened by this news as I am a football fan and I think Joe Pa's legacy will now be permanently destroyed because of this scandle. I also think the entire football program might now be in jeopardy. It's insane that people at the top made such bad and callous decisions and as a result, hideous crimes were committed by one sick individual. Well, now the ramifications of these bad decisions will be fully unleashed on everyone at PSU, and rightfully so.

You should listen to Jay Paterno. He makes some good points. Also, who is to say this investigation isn't some farce to allow the university to more easily move past this. Its hard for them to do that if they still have to kiss Paterno's ring. So, you can definitely question what was going on behind this investigation/opinion.

It really seems like the media is running with this as fast as they can and as far as they can. Controversy sells. Just as an example, on ESPN, this morning, they reported that lawyers with the NCAA said there is no obvious basis for pursuing sanctions (eg the death penalty), then two minutes later they're promoting some reporter saying they should get the death penalty. It's like, "wait a second, you just referenced lawyers with the NCAA who said there's no basis for pursuing NCAA sanctions...so why are you talking about this reporter clamoring for the death penalty?"

StugotsIII
07-13-2012, 04:48 PM
You should listen to Jay Paterno. He makes some good points. Also, who is to say this investigation isn't some farce to allow the university to more easily move past this. Its hard for them to do that if they still have to kiss Paterno's ring. So, you can definitely question what was going on behind this investigation/opinion.

It really seems like the media is running with this as fast as they can and as far as they can. Controversy sells. Just as an example, on ESPN, this morning, they reported that lawyers with the NCAA said there is no obvious basis for pursuing sanctions (eg the death penalty), then two minutes later they're promoting some reporter saying they should get the death penalty. It's like, "wait a second, you just referenced lawyers with the NCAA who said there's no basis for pursuing NCAA sanctions...so why are you talking about this reporter clamoring for the death penalty?"

Listen to Jay Paterno?

I swear to God the Paterno's, and most of the PSU fanbase are in a damn cult. Paterno made himself sound like an idiot yesterday. He kept saying the finding were opinions....except....they were facts.

When this is all said and done...they will need to take a wrecking ball to PSU and start over. This is simply the start of it all.

OrangeSe7en
07-13-2012, 04:50 PM

Give it up. The NCAA's lawyers have already said they can't really successfully make this a case about NCAA violations.

OrangeSe7en
07-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Listen to Jay Paterno?

I swear to God the Paterno's, and most of the PSU fanbase are in a damn cult. Paterno made himself sound like an idiot yesterday. He kept saying the finding were opinions....except....they were facts.

When this is all said and done...they will need to take a wrecking ball to PSU and start over. This is simply the start of it all.

You don't know they were facts and you're in no position to deny what Jay was saying. Since Joe never used email, its actually easy to believe that there were several instances where the investigators were filling in the dots on their own, whether it was substantiated or not.

Also, who was paying them to conduct the investigation? Answer that.

baja
07-13-2012, 04:53 PM
The might have to change their name to Bugger U

houghtam
07-13-2012, 05:05 PM
You don't know they were facts and you're in no position to deny what Jay was saying. Since Joe never used email, its actually easy to believe that there were several instances where the investigators were filling in the dots on their own, whether it was substantiated or not.

Well, there was one email in particular where someone asked what the status was on the investigation, because Coach wanted to know where we stand. I don't think that's really "filling in dots" as it is "using common sense".

StugotsIII
07-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Yeah...the former director of the FBI did the investigation....most likely all opinion.

And yes...Paterno used email. Just had an assistant write them:

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/07/06/joe-paterno-used-e-mail-in-attempt-to-control-a-penn-state-football-investigation-in-2007/

And to answer your question, PSU paid for the report.

StugotsIII
07-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Give it up. The NCAA's lawyers have already said they can't really successfully make this a case about NCAA violations.

LOL...perhaps you didn't read the amended letter sent to PSU by the head of the NCAA.

DBroncos4life
07-13-2012, 05:30 PM
I would love to see SMU fly flags that say "pay kids not rape them" during home games.

Br0nc0Buster
07-13-2012, 05:47 PM
http://www.farkriffic.com/farks/pennstatelogo_pedobear.jpg

Wes Mantooth
07-13-2012, 10:37 PM
That pretty much is like disorderly conduct for the police when they want to **** you over but have no other law that will stick.

Except in this case it will be used to penalize a school whom covered up and allowed continued rape of children.

lonestar
07-14-2012, 12:17 AM
We still having this pissing match?

what happens is totally out of everyones control.

no one is going to changes anyone elses mind..

SouthStndJunkie
07-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Bo Schembechler wouldn't have let his defensive coordinator get away with screwing little kids on his watch.

OrangeSe7en
07-14-2012, 05:03 AM
LOL...perhaps you didn't read the amended letter sent to PSU by the head of the NCAA.

Im not sure why you're even bothering to reply. I was simply telling you the bold faced truth of what their own lawyers admitted to recently.

OrangeSe7en
07-14-2012, 05:06 AM
Yeah...the former director of the FBI did the investigation....most likely all opinion.

And yes...Paterno used email. Just had an assistant write them:

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/07/06/joe-paterno-used-e-mail-in-attempt-to-control-a-penn-state-football-investigation-in-2007/

And to answer your question, PSU paid for the report.

And speaking of connecting the dots, this should start to sink in for you at some point.

Garcia Bronco
07-14-2012, 05:38 AM

That was before this round of evidence.

OrangeSe7en
07-14-2012, 06:18 AM
That was before this round of evidence.

What evidence? This is a report that the university paid for, a university that want's to distance itself from those involved. You can't rule out that the report was self serving.

StugotsIII
07-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Im not sure why you're even bothering to reply. I was simply telling you the bold faced truth of what their own lawyers admitted to recently.

I've said it before and I'll say it again…PSU fans are cult like.

StugotsIII
07-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Bo Schembechler wouldn't have let his defensive coordinator get away with screwing little kids on his watch.

Concur…and Woody would have beat him to death...

Tombstone RJ
07-14-2012, 08:37 AM
I still believe that Joe Pa was not fully aware of what Sandusky was doing, not because he didn't care about the kids, but more because he was too afraid to escalate the issue into something that could damage the entire program. So instead I think he probably asked Sandusky about "rumors" and he accepted Sandusky's side of the story.

I really believe that if Joe Pa knew the whole truth, he would have done everything necessary to protect the kids and bring Sandusky to justice. However, and this is all just my opinion, being that he was very old (70+ years) and set in his ways, he simply didn't want to believe that something like this was happening. Hence, he let others handle it (or not handle it) and he more or less ignored the problem.

OrangeSe7en
07-14-2012, 11:31 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again…PSU fans are cult like.

...and Americans (in general) are lemmings.

StugotsIII
07-14-2012, 12:22 PM
...and Americans (in general) are lemmings.

Fact:

The PSU scandal is the biggest scandal in the history of sports. Those involved deserve a fitting punishment.

How many kids were raped by Sandusky because football and reputation came before the welfare of children?

Joe Paterno and every one including you that continue to stick up for and defend his actions IMO are giant pieces of ****.

Stuck in Cali
07-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Last thing I would ever do is stick up for any child molester. I think the punishment they receive is way to minimal, even death is not enough punishment. Yes I would rather these sick ****s that commit these crimes get tortured, because that's what they did to the kids, and the kids still are in their memories.

As far as the school goes, like I said before I am not a fan of any college team. It should be punished as in the people that helped cover it up. The people that knew nothing about it should not lose their jobs and such. But sometimes the many have to pay the price for the actions of the few.

houghtam
07-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Fact:

The PSU scandal is the biggest scandal in the history of sports. Those involved deserve a fitting punishment.

How many kids were raped by Sandusky because football and reputation came before the welfare of children?

Joe Paterno and every one including you that continue to stick up for and defend his actions IMO are giant pieces of ****.

I think you owe someone an apology. Unless you can find a quote from him that actually is defending his actions, which he never said. All he or any of us said was that it might not necessarily be the NCAA's jurisdiction. If that means he or any of us are "defending his actions", then the entire NCAA review board that's discussing this very thing right now are "defending his actions", too.

Jesus, read some freaking posts for once. Look up a poster's history on a subject before turning into a drama queen. All this amounts to is someone on a message board who wants to prove he's angrier than everyone else about the situation. Some of us, however, are adults, and are having a civil discussion on the responsibilities of the NCAA as pertain to this case.

You're angry. We get it. Now kindly piss off.

Oh, and apologize.

manchambo
07-14-2012, 12:59 PM

So your brilliant idea is that, to "easily move past this," the university somehow arranged for the independent investigators to basically find the most damning evidence they could find short of a video of Joe Pa and crew pulling a train on a ten year old boy?

Do you have any idea how bad that report is going to be for the university when it comes to litigation about this? You think it somehow helps Penn State to establish that at least three high-ranking individuals knew about it, covered it up, took no actions to prevent further assaults on Penn State property, and arguably facilitated further assaults by giving Sandusky access to the facilities and players that helped him dupe and manipulate these poor souls, all for the express purpose of protecting the football program?

Given that you apparently believe this, I find it fully understandable that you think Jay Paterno "makes some good points."

McDman
07-14-2012, 03:29 PM
It's unbelievable that people can still defend Joe Pa. He is a POS.

StugotsIII
07-14-2012, 03:49 PM
I think you owe someone an apology. Unless you can find a quote from him that actually is defending his actions, which he never said. All he or any of us said was that it might not necessarily be the NCAA's jurisdiction. If that means he or any of us are "defending his actions", then the entire NCAA review board that's discussing this very thing right now are "defending his actions", too.

Jesus, read some freaking posts for once. Look up a poster's history on a subject before turning into a drama queen. All this amounts to is someone on a message board who wants to prove he's angrier than everyone else about the situation. Some of us, however, are adults, and are having a civil discussion on the responsibilities of the NCAA as pertain to this case.

You're angry. We get it. Now kindly piss off.

Oh, and apologize.

I sorry…

I'm sorry you are a giant tool...

houghtam
07-14-2012, 04:54 PM
I sorry…

I'm sorry you are a giant tool...

IM ANGRIER ABOUT CHILD MOLESTATION THAN U R NURRRRRRR

ohiobronco2
07-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Penn St. will bee punished by the NCAA. They may not be punished because of this, but the NCAA will use this as a reason to look into everything and if you look hard enough at any school, you will find something. I don't buy into the argument that you can't punish PSU because those responsible are no longer there. The tat 5 for OSU, Tressel is gone and so are those who participated, I guess we don't have a bowl ban after all. What about Matt Barkley not being able to play in a post season game because of what Bush did? Penn St. should have their football program punished in some form.

Play2win
07-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Never did like Paterno. Always got a bad/weird vibe from that mother****er.

Majik
07-15-2012, 07:42 AM

I am dumbfounded by this as well.

Wes Mantooth
07-15-2012, 09:59 AM
I am dumbfounded by this as well.

+ 1

OrangeSe7en
07-15-2012, 01:12 PM
So your brilliant idea is that, to "easily move past this," the university somehow arranged for the independent investigators to basically find the most damning evidence they could find short of a video of Joe Pa and crew pulling a train on a ten year old boy?

I love it when people feel like they have to rely on hyperbole or sarcasm to make a point.

Do you have any idea how bad that report is going to be for the university when it comes to litigation about this? You think it somehow helps Penn State to establish that at least three high-ranking individuals knew about it, covered it up, took no actions to prevent further assaults on Penn State property, and arguably facilitated further assaults by giving Sandusky access to the facilities and players that helped him dupe and manipulate these poor souls, all for the express purpose of protecting the football program?

This is a nonsensical point. Everyone knows it's bad whether the report exists or not. And the university is being pro-active about settling out of court. But it's nice that you still try to make this point. There wasn't much of a point here. Meanwhile, on top of paying the victims, which is a given, the powers that be in the university, have another problem on their hands. There are split loyalties in the Penn St. community even still. They want the people who were loyal to Paterno to be loyal to them and continue to contribute to the University under their watch. It's risky if they try to throw Paterno under the bus themselves, so an alternative is to hire an "objective" third party to put out a report condemning the old regime.

Given that you apparently believe this, I find it fully understandable that you think Jay Paterno "makes some good points."

LOL. And you're a lemming. You're being forcefed this report by the media and accepting it as gospel. The answers might come in time but you can certainly question this report that has been released recently.

manchambo
07-15-2012, 10:00 PM
I love it when people feel like they have to rely on hyperbole or sarcasm to make a point.

This is a nonsensical point. Everyone knows it's bad whether the report exists or not. And the university is being pro-active about settling out of court. But it's nice that you still try to make this point. There wasn't much of a point here. Meanwhile, on top of paying the victims, which is a given, the powers that be in the university, have another problem on their hands. There are split loyalties in the Penn St. community even still. They want the people who were loyal to Paterno to be loyal to them and continue to contribute to the University under their watch. It's risky if they try to throw Paterno under the bus themselves, so an alternative is to hire an "objective" third party to put out a report condemning the old regime.

LOL. And you're a lemming. You're being forcefed this report by the media and accepting it as gospel. The answers might come in time but you can certainly question this report that has been released recently.

So it's nonsensical to point out that the University actually wouldn't be helping itself by manufacturing a report that establishes that several highly placed university employees knew about and did nothing to stop the assaults? I just hardly know what to say to that. Legally they wouldn't be responsible at all if agents of the university didn't have reason to know about what Sandusky was doing. If Paterno et al didn't do the terrible things documented in the report, they would have a chance to win outright at trial. They would certainly have much stronger arguments in settlement discussions. With the report the chances of winning at trial are very near zero. And they have almost nothing to say in settlement discussions. The report might as well be a blank check for the victims.

And of course there's the small matter that the actions detailed in the report are so horrible that they threaten the very existence of the football program. But yeah, it makes perfect sense that the university would have manufactured the report to make it easier to distance themselves from someone they already fired and is now dead.

Garcia Bronco
07-16-2012, 07:30 AM
What evidence? This is a report that the university paid for, a university that want's to distance itself from those involved. You can't rule out that the report was self serving.

Doesn't matter if the Keebler Elves made the report. It's proof and it's published evidence of a cover-up to keep the program elevated for recruiting. It's a loss of institutional control and the NCAA better do something, or I will always consider it a joke....LOL...well even more of a joke.

BroncoBen
07-16-2012, 12:10 PM

I liked the idea of instead of taking down Joe Paterno's statue at Penn State, paint it 'Yellow' for everyone to see everyday and not forget what 'He didn't do'.

Broncos_OTM
07-16-2012, 12:43 PM
disgusting. I hope they go criminaly against those that covered it up;. burn everything with joes name on it and And then I might feel somewhat at peace

Garcia Bronco
07-16-2012, 12:51 PM
I liked the idea of instead of taking down Joe Paterno's statue at Penn State, paint it 'Yellow' for everyone to see everyday and not forget what 'He didn't do'.

I say turn it around so he can look the other way.

Garcia Bronco
07-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Penn St. should have their football program punished in some form.

Absolutely.

DBroncos4life
07-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Mark Emmert's swift, bold action against Penn State might mark a new era in NCAA enforcement

Sources say the school will continue to field a team. However, it will deal with heavy scholarship losses over the next three-to-five years as well as a multiyear ban in postseason competition and multimillion dollar financial penalties.

The standard line rippling through college sports Sunday is that while Penn State will be spared the death penalty, the penalties will make them wish they weren't.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--mark-emmert-ncaa-penn-state-sanctions-joe-paterno-graham-spanier-.html

Wes Mantooth
07-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Mark Emmert's swift, bold action against Penn State might mark a new era in NCAA enforcement

Sources say the school will continue to field a team. However, it will deal with heavy scholarship losses over the next three-to-five years as well as a multiyear ban in postseason competition and multimillion dollar financial penalties.

The standard line rippling through college sports Sunday is that while Penn State will be spared the death penalty, the penalties will make them wish they weren't.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--mark-emmert-ncaa-penn-state-sanctions-joe-paterno-graham-spanier-.html

I saw this on the ticker today. It seems like the right thing to do on top of legal action.

canadianbroncosfan
07-22-2012, 03:33 PM
they just took down JoePa's statue.

SoCalBronco
07-22-2012, 06:23 PM
I find what happened at Penn St. reprehensible and I have long disliked the program, primarily due to the fact that they benefitted from my team beating itself in the 1987 Fiesta Bowl even though we outgained them by almost 300 ****ing yards, but I'm not sure I agree with the NCAA stepping in here and essentially (allegedly) blowing the entire football program to smitheerens. There are too many innocent people, on the team, on the staff, in the community that would be hurt needlessly just by the NCAA making a "statement". The purpose of the NCAA is to ensure that NCAA bylaws relating to unfair advantages and amateurism are followed. It is true that heinous things happened there, and those responsible are being criminally punished as well as civilly punished by way of lawsuits relating primarily to negligence. This is fair and just. Perhaps some NCAA sanction simply due to the severity of the situation is also warranted, but even if there is a colorable claim that some NCAA bylaws were broken by way of this affair, there is an established process for investigation, Notice of Allegations, response and assertion of any applicable defenses and a hearing. Due process requires nothing less. For Mark Emmert to summarily destroy the football program just because he finds the Freeh report persuasive flies in the face of basic principles of due process.

Again, I'm not saying the NCAA cannot act, if they can make a colorable claim that some NCAA bylaw or provision was violated in this matter, but you have to go through the process, identify the bylaws involved, do an independent NCAA investigation and allow for a response and a hearing before the committee, not smash the program based on some external investigation with no due process.

The reason I say that is because some of the things leaked suggest that they will in fact blow the program to smitheerens. This was mentioned on another board as the "leaked" sanctions. I don't know if this is true, but even as a Miami fan who doesnt like Penn St., this is unwarranted without any due process. This really is the death penalty in another name...

Penn St sanctions -

1) SUSPENSION OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS FOR ONE YEAR

2) NO TELEVISION TIL 2015

3) BOWL BAN TIL 2015

4) NO FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2013

5) ALL CURRENT PLAYERS ON ROSTER ALLOWED TO TRANSFER WITH NO PENALTY

6) NCAA CLEARINGHOUSE TO EXPEDITE AND ADMINISTER ALL TRANSFERS

7)
SPECIAL NCAA DISPENSATION THAT PENN ST FOOTBALL PLAYERS WHO TRANSFER,
WILL NOT COUNT AGAINST SCHOLARSHIP LIMIT FOR GAINING SCHOOL

8) LOSS OF 8 SCHOLARSHIPS PER YEAR BEGINNING IN 2014 AND CONTINUING FOR 5 YEARS TO 2020.

9) BEGINNING IN 2014, OPTION TO DROP DOWN TO DIV 1AA WITH NO PENALTY, AND THE RIGHT TO RETURN TO DIV 1A AFTER 2020.

10) WINS AND RECORDS BACK TO 1998 WILL BE VACATED

11) TICKET REVENUE OFFSET PAYOUT TO BE GIVEN TO SCHEDULED OPPONENTS

For the sake of their fans, even this Miami fan hopes the above is not true and is just a false rumor.

canadianbroncosfan
07-22-2012, 06:27 PM
I find what happened at Penn St. reprehensible and I'm not a fan of the program, primarily due to the fact that they benefitted from my team beating itself in the 1987 Fiesta Bowl, but I'm not sure I agree with the NCAA stepping in here and essentially (allegedly) blowing the entire football program to smitheerens. There are too many innocent people, on the team, on the staff, in the community that would be hurt needlessly just by the NCAA making a "statement". The purpose of the NCAA is to ensure that NCAA bylaws relating to unfair advantages and amateurism are followed. It is true that heinous things happened there, and those responsible are being criminally punished as well as civilly punished by way of lawsuits relating primarily to negligence. This is fair and just. Perhaps some NCAA sanction simply due to the severity of the situation is also warranted, but even there is a colorable claim that some NCAA bylaws were broken by way of this affair, there is an established process for investigation, Notice of Allegations, response and assertion of any applicable defenses and a hearing. Due process requires nothing less. For Mark Emmert to summarily destroy the football program just because he finds the Freeh report persuasive flies in the face of basic principles of due process.

Again, I'm not saying the NCAA cannot act, if they can make a colorable claim that some NCAA bylaw or provision was violated in this matter, but you have to go through the process, identify the bylaws involved, do an independent NCAA investigation and allow for a response and a hearing before the committee, not smash the program based on some external investigation with no due process.

The reason I say that is because some of the things leaked suggest that they will in fact blow the program to smitheerens. This was mentioned on another board as the "leaked" sanctions. I don't know if this is true, but even as a Miami fan who doesnt like Penn St., this is unwarranted without any due process. This really is the death penalty in another name...

Penn St sanctions -

1) SUSPENSION OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS FOR ONE YEAR

2) NO TELEVISION TIL 2015

3) BOWL BAN TIL 2015

4) NO FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2013

5) ALL CURRENT PLAYERS ON ROSTER ALLOWED TO TRANSFER WITH NO PENALTY

6) NCAA CLEARINGHOUSE TO EXPEDITE AND ADMINISTER ALL TRANSFERS

7)
SPECIAL NCAA DISPENSATION THAT PENN ST FOOTBALL PLAYERS WHO TRANSFER,
WILL NOT COUNT AGAINST SCHOLARSHIP LIMIT FOR GAINING SCHOOL

8) LOSS OF 8 SCHOLARSHIPS PER YEAR BEGINNING IN 2014 AND CONTINUING FOR 5 YEARS TO 2020.

9) BEGINNING IN 2014, OPTION TO DROP DOWN TO DIV 1AA WITH NO PENALTY, AND THE RIGHT TO RETURN TO DIV 1A AFTER 2020.

10) WINS AND RECORDS BACK TO 1998 WILL BE VACATED

11) TICKET REVENUE OFFSET PAYOUT TO BE GIVEN TO SCHEDULED OPPONENTS

For the sake of their fans, I hope the above is not true and is just a rumor.

That is absolutely insane.

SoCalBronco
07-22-2012, 06:43 PM
That is absolutely insane.

Yeah I hope that rumor is false. That would be worse than what SMU got, all without specific NCAA violations, an NCAA investigation, the oppurtunity to present a defense or a hearing. That's way, way out of line, IMO. Hopefully, for them, that rumor is way overblown.

houghtam
07-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Yeah I hope that rumor is false. That would be worse than what SMU got, all without specific NCAA violations, an NCAA investigation, the oppurtunity to present a defense or a hearing. That's way, way out of line, IMO. Hopefully, for them, that rumor is way overblown.

This is crazy. Just out of curiosity, where did you hear the rumor?

To me, I think the absolute worst the NCAA will do is 10 years probation, 5 year bowl ban, 5 year reduction in scholarships, and perhaps a way to shorten it to 8/3/3 or something with an official apology combined with work to help abused children and restitution with the victims.

SoCalBronco
07-22-2012, 07:29 PM
This is crazy. Just out of curiosity, where did you hear the rumor?

To me, I think the absolute worst the NCAA will do is 10 years probation, 5 year bowl ban, 5 year reduction in scholarships, and perhaps a way to shorten it to 8/3/3 or something with an official apology combined with work to help abused children and restitution with the victims.

Even that would be essentially a death penalty. Think about it....5 year bowl ban...that's absolutely unprecedented. I got the above from a forum I frequent, although I too think it would be so beyond the range of anything I've ever seen that I highly doubt it is the true penalty.

Requiem
07-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Bring it down. Bring the whole program down. Give them more than the Death Penalty. HAIL SITHIS!

lonestar
07-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Even that would be essentially a death penalty. Think about it....5 year bowl ban...that's absolutely unprecedented. I got the above from a forum I frequent, although I too think it would be so beyond the range of anything I've ever seen that I highly doubt it is the true penalty.

If the Ncaa tries to do all of that It would behoove PSU to apply to the NAIA and play there I'd guess that they would take them in a heart beat EVEN if it is only for a couple of years..

Also I doubt that NCAA would have the power to do all of that and if they try it PSU would have them in court in a heart beat..

24champ
07-23-2012, 12:20 AM

Lot of rumors about how hard the hammer is going to come down from the NCAA. Honestly, PSU has a lot bigger things to worry about...like settlements, paying lawyers, DOE will pull some fed money, their endowment will take a hit. etc.

Bronco Yoda
07-23-2012, 12:53 AM
With little fanfare, Penn State removes Paterno statue

By Jeremy Roebuck and Angela Couloumbis

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - For 11 years, Joe Paterno's bronze image had welcomed visitors to Pennsylvania State University's Beaver Stadium, his pants rolled up in his signature style, a finger raised in victory.

But before most of the campus awoke Sunday, the statue was gone, removed amid a clatter of jackhammers and a few cries of "We are Penn State!"...

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20120723_With_little_fanfare__Penn_State_removes_P aterno_statue.html

gunns
07-23-2012, 04:54 AM

Appropriate.

No big loss for the NFL as Penn St. players, for the most part, tank in the NFL. I've long said I would never draft a Penn St. player for this reason and felt it was a reflection on JoePa.

Many have said he was trying to protect the program and players, dispicable as that is, but I have to wonder if a large part wasn't protecting his own overblown legacy. What I really don't get are those that don't get why this is happening to his legacy.

houghtam
07-23-2012, 06:20 AM
The NCAA has hit Penn State with a $60 million sanction, a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins dating to 1998, the organization announced Monday morning in a news release.

Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period, the release said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8191027/penn-state-hit-60-million-fine-4-year-bowl-ban-wins-dating-1998

SoCalBronco
07-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Did I read that right?....20 per year? That can't be right. That means you could sign only 5 recruits to ships per season. A cumulative loss of 90 ships over 5 years if u include the initial 10. By comparison USC lost a grand total of 30. The 4 year ban means everyone will transfer. So the NCAA literally killed the program for a decade....all without a no a or hearing or anything.

I don't see how they could win even a single game on schedule with a team made up of 90 percent walk ons. I'm sorry but that's bull****

SouthStndJunkie
07-23-2012, 06:58 AM
I don't agree with vacating all the wins since 1998.

I'm always against the NCAA going back and vacating wins and trying to alter history.

I didn't like it when they did it to USC a few years back and don't like it in this instance.

History is history and players earned those wins and no matter what you do, those events still happened and should remain intact.

ol#7
07-23-2012, 07:01 AM

I'm always against the NCAA going back and vacating wins and trying to alter history.

I didn't like it when they did it to USC a few years back and don't like it in this instance.

History is history and players earned those wins and no matter what you do, those events still happened and should remain intact.

This.

I really don't see the connection to athletics and what that dirbag Sandusky did that warranted the NCAA doing this. I hope Penn State has some manner of recourse because that punishment is rediculous and meant to whipe that program off the map.

BroncoInferno
07-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Bill O'Brien probably spent a few moments this morning dry heaving into the toliet. I'm sure he wishes he were still coaching Tom Brady at this point. It will be a miracle if he can hang around long enough to even have a prayer of getting the program turned around.

houghtam
07-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Emmert said something to the effect that the NCAA could not look to precedent for the punishment, simply because there was nothing even close to compare it to. He also said that these sanctions are a message to ALL universities to get rid of the "football is king" mindset.

bronco militia
07-23-2012, 07:07 AM

The loss of victories means Joe Paterno is no longer major college football's winningest coach; he now officially has 298 wins. Florida State's Bobby Bowden, who himself had 12 wins vacated due NCAA violations, is now the leader with 377 victories.

BroncoInferno
07-23-2012, 07:07 AM

I agree 100%. Say what you will about Joe Pa, but it isn't fair to the players involved with the program over that span. This was a non-football related incident, and players who did absolutely nothing wrong are having their legacy erased from the books.

ol#7
07-23-2012, 07:13 AM
I agree 100%. Say what you will about Joe Pa, but it isn't fair to the players involved with the program over that span. This was a non-football related incident, and players who did absolutely nothing wrong are having their legacy erased from the books.

This. You have to seperate what happened on the field with what Sandusky did. There is just no argument to be made that what happened on the field had any relation to what that perv was doing.

bronco militia
07-23-2012, 07:16 AM
This. You have to seperate what happened on the field with what Sandusky did. There is just no argument to be made that what happened on the field had any relation to what that perv was doing.

ummmm Joe Paterno and the university did nothing to stop it?

ol#7
07-23-2012, 07:23 AM
ummmm Joe Paterno and the university did nothing to stop it?

You did nothing to stop it either, and you knew just as much about it as the players on those teams from 98-2011.

How does one act have any relation to athletics?

Never mind the fact the NCAA is handing down this penalty without going through thier own protocols. Why, because it involves an incident that has nothing to do with what the NCAA has jurisdiction over.

I get it, people are pissed, but the guy who perpetrated these acts is the criminal, not the 85 guys who won those 111 games.

oubronco
07-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Punishing kids and future coaches for something they had no part of

Sounds about right for the NCAA

bronco militia
07-23-2012, 07:33 AM
You did nothing to stop it either, and you knew just as much about it as the players on those teams from 98-2011.

Never mind the fact the NCAA is handing down this penalty without going through thier own protocols. Why, because it involves an incident that has nothing to do with what the NCAA has jurisdiction over.

I get it, people are pissed, but the guy who perpetrated these acts is the criminal, not the 85 guys who won those 111 games.

removing the victories allows the NCAA to avoid ever uttering Paterno's name again when it comes to all time victories. Joe's lack of leadership on the subject will cost him his entire legacy.

and bottom line, it's just football. save your tears for the victims.

DBroncos4life
07-23-2012, 07:36 AM
The NCAA got this right. Any that thought they wouldn't hammer Penn State was nuts.

JLesSPE
07-23-2012, 07:37 AM

The University, athletic department, and more specifically the football program (JoePa) covered this up. That's why they're being punished. In my mind those 85 players are just added to Sandusky's victim list. He victimized hundreds of people the most heinous crimes obviously against those children. There is no way you can argue the University and football program should not be punished. They sheltered a child molester and allowed him to continue to do it and in their house! "Hey we know you're raping kids, but that's ok. Not only is it ok, but keep doing it. Not only keep doing it, but here's a place to do it. Just don't tell anyone, we don't want our reputations hurt." This is exactly what they deserve at the very least.

Also, they didn't go through their own investigative process because they hired that former FBI director's firm to do the investigation. So they didn't skip their part of the process, they just used a better investigative team.

Requiem
07-23-2012, 07:39 AM
Should have been bigger punishments. Send 'em down to D-III.

spdirty
07-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Wish it were a death penalty. 2nd best thing would be no home games and no televised games. This is the third best thing. I hope these sanctions damage the program like SMU, where they aren't able to go to a bowl games for a good 20-30 years.

I really like the fact that Penn States players can transfer and get immediate eligibility. So now they have a choice, and the ones who remain choose to remain knowing they won't go to a bowl and will be playing for a now disgraced, future cellar dweller of a program.

SoCalBronco
07-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Even I'd you were of the position that the NCAA should give them the death penalty which is absolutely what they have done here in another name without any notice of allegations of violations of specific rules and bylaws and without any opportunity to assert any defenses or have a hearing.....this is still problematic because not only are you destroying the football program for a decade you are also destroying a wide variety of other men's and women's sports. The programs profits pay for all those other sports. So the multiple time national champ women's volleyball team has to go etc. This is going to destry the whole athletic department and IMO that's too much

Requiem
07-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Even I'd you were of the position that the NCAA should give them the death penalty which is absolutely what they have done here in another name without any notice of allegations of violations of specific rules and bylaws and without any opportunity to assert any defenses or have a hearing.....this is still problematic because not only are you destroying the football program for a decade you are also destroying a wide variety of other men's and women's sports. The programs profits pay for all those other sports. So the multiple time national champ women's volleyball team has to go etc. This is going to destry the whole athletic department and IMO that's too much

Say goodbye to Ray-Ray Armstrong. What a waste of talent.

SoCalBronco
07-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Say goodbye to Ray-Ray Armstrong. What a waste of talent.

Yeah ray ray was disappointing although he was gotten rid of in part as a sacrificial lamb.

ol#7
07-23-2012, 07:48 AM
removing the victories allows the NCAA to avoid ever uttering Paterno's name again when it comes to all time victories. Joe's lack of leadership on the subject will cost him his entire legacy.

and bottom line, it's just football. save your tears for the victims.

How about seperate the incidents from what happened on the field.

Agreed that they wanted to remove the honor that Paterno had achieved on the field.

ol#7
07-23-2012, 07:51 AM
The University, athletic department, and more specifically the football program (JoePa) covered this up. That's why they're being punished. In my mind those 85 players are just added to Sandusky's victim list. He victimized hundreds of people the most heinous crimes obviously against those children. There is no way you can argue the University and football program should not be punished. They sheltered a child molester and allowed him to continue to do it and in their house! "Hey we know you're raping kids, but that's ok. Not only is it ok, but keep doing it. Not only keep doing it, but here's a place to do it. Just don't tell anyone, we don't want our reputations hurt." This is exactly what they deserve at the very least.

Also, they didn't go through their own investigative process because they hired that former FBI director's firm to do the investigation. So they didn't skip their part of the process, they just used a better investigative team.

A couple of individuals may have known of one incident in particular (98 details are murky but probably more damning since Paterno was apparantly interested in the investigation). But you are making hundreds of people culpable for a criminal act they had no knowledge of.

bronco militia
07-23-2012, 07:54 AM

I'm really not sure how they cna seperate the two to make everyone happy. The entire University benefits from the football program.

BroncoInferno
07-23-2012, 07:56 AM
It also bears mentioning that Sandusky retired after the 1999 season. So, players between 2000-2011 are being punished for the actions of a guy who wasn't even part of the coaching staff during their tenure.

ol#7
07-23-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm really not sure how they cna seperate the two to make everyone happy. The entire University benefits from the football program.

You seperate it by letting the courts handle criminal and civil matters. This is not what the NCAA is for.

If they found having Penn State as a member institution so distasteful after this, then they should have revoked their charter as a recognized institution.

SouthStndJunkie
07-23-2012, 08:04 AM
It doesn't matter what the NCAA does....in the grand scheme of things, he still won more football games than any other coach.

You can take it off the record books, but history is history and that's what happened.

Reggie Bush won the Heisman Trophy in 2005....the NCAA took it away, but he played all those games and won the trophy in an award ceremony and then they decided to alter history and take it away, years after the fact.

I don't think any entity should be big and powerful enough to alter the course of what has already been done and is in the books.

Let the general public be the judge and decide for themselves how history should be viewed.

JLesSPE
07-23-2012, 08:15 AM
A couple of individuals may have known of one incident in particular (98 details are murky but probably more damning since Paterno was apparantly interested in the investigation). But you are making hundreds of people culpable for a criminal act they had no knowledge of.

That's why they went above and beyond to show how much control Paterno had. He was the football program and because he did what he did, the football program is being punished. I think if Paterno knew what he knew and covered it up that's one thing. But Sandusky was still allowed on campus and in the showers/locker room with these kids after his retirement. The fact the he was allowed to use their facility post retirement pushed this way over the edge IMO.

Jason in LA
07-23-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm all for the courts bringing down hefty punishments to the individuals involved, and for the courts to force Penn St to pay millions of dollars to the victims.

But the NCAA? I never thought they should be involved because there was no competitive advantage gained and I don't think that the NCAA had a place in this battle. Even with that said, I could see some punishment as a symbol that that stuff isn't tolerated. But this punishment to the football program was way too harsh.

At what point will a school or group of schools consider leaving the NCAA? I don't see any point of a D1 football school in a non BCS conference playing in the NCAA. And seeing what the NCAA does to some schools, why not leave?

24champ
07-23-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm all for the courts bringing down hefty punishments to the individuals involved, and for the courts to force Penn St to pay millions of dollars to the victims.

But the NCAA? I never thought they should be involved because there was no competitive advantage gained and I don't think that the NCAA had a place in this battle. Even with that said, I could see some punishment as a symbol that that stuff isn't tolerated. But this punishment to the football program was way too harsh.

At what point will a school or group of schools consider leaving the NCAA? I don't see any point of a D1 football school in a non BCS conference playing in the NCAA. And seeing what the NCAA does to some schools, why not leave?

NCAA is involved because PSU put the football program above the raping of little boys. That's called lack of institutional control and the NCAA should absolutely punish them for that.

Garcia Bronco
07-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Tell me Penn State didn't violate this rule. If you work for a publically traded institution you have one as well. It's the catch-all rule

NCAA bylaw:
19.01.2 Exemplary Conduct. Individuals employed by or associated with member
institutions for the administration, the conduct or the coaching of intercollegiate athletics
are, in the final analysis, teachers of young people. Their responsibility is an affirmative
one, and they must do more than avoid improper conduct or questionable acts. Their own
moral values must be so certain and positive that those younger and more pliable will be
influenced by a fine example. Much more is expected of them than of the less critically
placed citizen.

Garcia Bronco
07-23-2012, 09:23 AM
But the NCAA? I never thought they should be involved because there was no competitive advantage gained and I don't think that the NCAA had a place in this battle.

That amzing when you consider that the School covered it up to protect recruiting at the least. How is that not a competitve advantage?

v2micca
07-23-2012, 09:31 AM
I know I'm really late to the party on this one, but I just realized that in 2001, Jerry Sandusky co-wrote and released an autobiography titled:

Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story.

I thought it was a bad Leno joke at first, but its real. You can't make this stuff up.

Bronco Yoda
07-23-2012, 09:37 AM
They got hit harder than I would have guessed, but still less than they deserved.

I'm not surprised that some will be outraged over these penalties. Just look out how people seem to excuse and overlook the history and prevailing culture in the Catholic Church that enables sexual abuse of helpless minors around the world.

The magnitude of the coverup just shows how rotten this program was. There should be zero tolerance for such behavior. There should be zero outrage over their penalties.

Tombstone RJ
07-23-2012, 09:43 AM
IMHO, the NCAA did the right thing. If they had done nothing, if they had NOT punished the football program, than there would be some major blowback from the press and from the public in general.

Think about it.

houghtam
07-23-2012, 09:47 AM
They got hit harder than I would have guessed, but still less than they deserved.

I'm not surprised that some will be outraged over these penalties. Just look out how people seem to excuse and overlook the history and prevailing culture in the Catholic Church that enables sexual abuse of helpless minors around the world.

The magnitude of the coverup just shows how rotten this program was. There should be zero tolerance for such behavior. There should be zero outrage over their penalties.

That's actually a pretty good comparison. I think though that some are questioning whether the NCAA had the jurisdiction to levy those penalties, which is a fair question.

Oubronco said:

Punishing kids and future coaches for something they had no part of

Sounds about right for the NCAA

The problem I have with this argument is that if you only hold accountable those directly responsible, you are going to make it even harder on coaches. Administrators are going to be even more likely to say "do whatever it takes to win", because let's be honest...if, say, Ohio State is found guilty of NCAA violations, and the individual is the only one punished, the administration not only has no incentive to hire someone who won't commit more violations, but also would probably be more likely willing to find (and pay for) someone who has that "do whatever it takes to win" mentality.

ohiobronco2
07-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Yeah ray ray was disappointing although he was gotten rid of in part as a sacrificial lamb.

Miami is on deck. :sunshine:

broncocalijohn
07-23-2012, 10:44 AM

There are hundreds of staff members that allowed Jo Pa to have the God like power on campus. All for the sake of football. Well, now here comes the part where you reap what you sow and if you want to protect a pedophile rapist so you can keep the name of Penn State football in good graces then we will strike down that same Penn State football as punishment.
Students can still take history, english or whatever classes that strive for their major. THis is a campus of learning. The university benefits mightedly from the revenue of football. Now they will need to count on something else for revenue and it will be a great reminder that nothing is bigger than the campus, even football. This is a great blow to their program and it is well deserve.

Oh, why should Japan have to give us land for Armed Forces bases? Their citizens didn't declare war at Pearl Harbor! They didn't know about the attack!

Tombstone RJ
07-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Wanna know which Pennsylvania football program is gonna benefit majorly from this--Pitt. All those instate kids who would have played for their dream team, Penn State, will now probably go to Pitt (or at least some of them will).

broncocalijohn
07-23-2012, 10:48 AM
It also bears mentioning that Sandusky retired after the 1999 season. So, players between 2000-2011 are being punished for the actions of a guy who wasn't even part of the coaching staff during their tenure.

Yet was still allowed to have an office and use the facilities to rape young boys.

BroncoInferno
07-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Yet was still allowed to have an office and use the facilities to rape young boys.

Which had nothing to do with the players or other coaches on the staff at the time.

lonestar
07-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Did I read that right?....20 per year? That can't be right. That means you could sign only 5 recruits to ships per season. A cumulative loss of 90 ships over 5 years if u include the initial 10. By comparison USC lost a grand total of 30. The 4 year ban means everyone will transfer. So the NCAA literally killed the program for a decade....all without a no a or hearing or anything.

I don't see how they could win even a single game on schedule with a team made up of 90 percent walk ons. I'm sorry but that's bull****

once again I'll bet there will be a legal fight over all this..

without trial or deep investigation unless they have been doing it from newspaper reports I do not see how they can support this kind of punishment...

I can see the vacating wins but does tha also mean the losses they had will be wiped from the other teams records as wins?

To me a little heavy ahnded and I think PSU will be in court fighting this unprecedented fine..

lonestar
07-23-2012, 04:21 PM

Agreed that they wanted to remove the honor that Paterno had achieved on the field.

But to those players he coached and all the fans he will be forever the best coach..

all this does is make some folks feel good..

His legacy inside of happy valley will remain..

While he passed on punishment to the real rapist he did not join in or hold them down either..

It is silly for anyone to think that his fans or players the guys that he molded into men, will ever see him as evil like the rest of the world seems to think he is..

PC world run amouck... and accomplished little in terms of fixing the problem that happened..

lonestar
07-23-2012, 04:23 PM

I suspect that NAIA would leap at the chance to have them in their group.. Even if it is for only a few years..

lonestar
07-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Which had nothing to do with the players or other coaches on the staff at the time.

do not bother arguing they will not get it.. do not waste your time..

StugotsIII
07-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Miami is on deck. :sunshine:

Oregon says, "NOT SO FAST."