PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Sandusky found GUILTY on 45 of 48 counts

Pages : 1 [2]

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-23-2012, 08:33 PM
They got hit harder than I would have guessed, but still less than they deserved.

I'm not surprised that some will be outraged over these penalties. Just look out how people seem to excuse and overlook the history and prevailing culture in the Catholic Church that enables sexual abuse of helpless minors around the world.

The magnitude of the coverup just shows how rotten this program was. There should be zero tolerance for such behavior. There should be zero outrage over their penalties.

Yep.

Amazing the things some people are willing to overlook when their "team" (sports, politics, religion, country, etc.) engages in wrongdoing.

lonestar
07-23-2012, 09:29 PM
There are hundreds of staff members that allowed Jo Pa to have the God like power on campus. All for the sake of football. Well, now here comes the part where you reap what you sow and if you want to protect a pedophile rapist so you can keep the name of Penn State football in good graces then we will strike down that same Penn State football as punishment.
Students can still take history, english or whatever classes that strive for their major. THis is a campus of learning. The university benefits mightedly from the revenue of football. Now they will need to count on something else for revenue and it will be a great reminder that nothing is bigger than the campus, even football. This is a great blow to their program and it is well deserve.

Oh, why should Japan have to give us land for Armed Forces bases? Their citizens didn't declare war at Pearl Harbor! They didn't know about the attack!

But they sure as hell fought us.. their war industries supplied their war machine with supplies and it was the people who built that. perhaps you forgot that small detail..

ol#7
07-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Yep.

Amazing the things some people are willing to overlook when their "team" (sports, politics, religion, country, etc.) engages in wrongdoing.

The team didn't engage in any wrongdoing.

I suppose you will be in favor of Emmert next sanctioning Notre Dame for the pedo culture in the Catholic church and declaring that the moon landing never happened while he is at it.

RocBronc
07-24-2012, 05:47 AM
I'm all for the courts bringing down hefty punishments to the individuals involved, and for the courts to force Penn St to pay millions of dollars to the victims.

But the NCAA? I never thought they should be involved because there was no competitive advantage gained and I don't think that the NCAA had a place in this battle. Even with that said, I could see some punishment as a symbol that that stuff isn't tolerated. But this punishment to the football program was way too harsh.

At what point will a school or group of schools consider leaving the NCAA? I don't see any point of a D1 football school in a non BCS conference playing in the NCAA. And seeing what the NCAA does to some schools, why not leave?

By covering up the pedophilic acts there was a competitive advantage. You don't think all that negative publicity wouldn't have had an effect on recruiting? The whole reason they covered it up is so the football program wouldn't look bad.

Also, the existing team players are all being allowed to transfer schools without any restrictions so I don't see how these sanctions are really "punishing" the players and any inconvenience it may be lies at the feet of JoePa and the other 3 administrators. People seem to forget that their behavior has an impact on those around you and therefore will be affected (for good or for bad) when consequences naturally occur.

How many kids are being negatively affected because their parent committed a crime and are presently in jail. The society is not wrong for punishing these criminals or the negative effect that the punishment has on an "innocent" child. The fault for this injustice lies squarely at the feet of the parent who committed the crime in the first place.

Garcia Bronco
07-24-2012, 06:36 AM
Penn State cannot fight this from a PR perspective and they've already agreed to the penalties. It's over.

spdirty
07-24-2012, 04:23 PM

I suppose you will be in favor of Emmert next sanctioning Notre Dame for the pedo culture in the Catholic church and declaring that the moon landing never happened while he is at it.

If the pedo culture exists on campus at Notre Dame, and there is a coverup of that culture, and that culture is allowed to prevail for years, then many people, including myself, wouldn't have a problem with Emmert laying sanctions down on Notre Dame.

Wes Mantooth
07-24-2012, 05:31 PM

For crying out loud this is the stupidest though process. Yes, the team did engage in wrongdoing. How can you deny this? Are you suggesting that the AD, head coach and defensive coordinator are not a part of the team?

If you are worried about the impact to players, don't be. They can pick any school and play football there. They do not have to sit for a year and can put this behind them. It is the school that is the target here, not the players.

Wes Mantooth
07-24-2012, 05:33 PM
They got hit harder than I would have guessed, but still less than they deserved.

I'm not surprised that some will be outraged over these penalties. Just look out how people seem to excuse and overlook the history and prevailing culture in the Catholic Church that enables sexual abuse of helpless minors around the world.

The magnitude of the coverup just shows how rotten this program was. There should be zero tolerance for such behavior. There should be zero outrage over their penalties.

right on.

StugotsIII
07-25-2012, 07:54 AM
http://menofthescarletandgray.com/2012/07/25/penn-state-fans-say-the-darndest-things/

houghtam
07-25-2012, 08:20 AM
http://menofthescarletandgray.com/2012/07/25/penn-state-fans-say-the-darndest-things/

LOL yeah that's exactly what we need...Ohio State fans on their high horse saying "we may have violated every other NCAA rule, but at least we didn't rape kids."

:oyvey:

BroncoBeavis
07-25-2012, 08:27 AM
For crying out loud this is the stupidest though process. Yes, the team did engage in wrongdoing. How can you deny this? Are you suggesting that the AD, head coach and defensive coordinator are not a part of the team?

If you are worried about the impact to players, don't be. They can pick any school and play football there. They do not have to sit for a year and can put this behind them. It is the school that is the target here, not the players.

I just think it's a dumb idea to think you can revise the history of what happened over years on the playing field over something that happened off of it. I thought it was dumb with USC. Think it's dumb now.

I don't mind sanctioning the program for a few years to give all the numbnuts still defending JoPed in Happy Valley something to think about. But taking away wins earned by the players on the field who likely knew nothing is stupid because it doesn't accomplish anything. Doesn't help the victims. Doesn't hurt the program any more than the sanctions going forward. It's just for show.

StugotsIII
07-25-2012, 08:35 AM
LOL yeah that's exactly what we need...Ohio State fans on their high horse saying "we may have violated every other NCAA rule, but at least we didn't rape kids."

:oyvey:

Yup…you nailed it.LOL

Wes Mantooth
07-25-2012, 11:11 AM
I just think it's a dumb idea to think you can revise the history of what happened over years on the playing field over something that happened off of it. I thought it was dumb with USC. Think it's dumb now.

I don't mind sanctioning the program for a few years to give all the numbnuts still defending JoPed in Happy Valley something to think about. But taking away wins earned by the players on the field who likely knew nothing is stupid because it doesn't accomplish anything. Doesn't help the victims. Doesn't hurt the program any more than the sanctions going forward. It's just for show.

I hadn't really put much thought into the part of removing the wins from the past. That to me is not a real big component. I agree it is more for show, and really to emberass the school.

I have been engaged in the other components: taking away scholarships, bowl eligibility and money for the future. And so that students are not harmed by the wrongdoings of the university, letting them transfer to other schools. That to me is fair and just and I am glad the NCAA took action.

houghtam
07-26-2012, 07:56 AM
And for those people complaining there wasn't an investigation:

Erickson said if Penn State did not agree to the sanctions, a formal investigation would have begun and the university could have faced a multiyear death penalty, as well as "other sanctions," including a financial penalty far greater than $60 million.

..."far greater penatlies" = 4 year death penalty

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8199905/penn-state-nittany-lions-rodney-erickson-said-school-faced-4-year-death-penalty

So basically what happened was this:

- NCAA says "you're getting a 4 year death penalty"

- PSU says "please god no"

- NCAA says "okay how about this: we give you these sanctions and you agree to them, or we open a formal investigation and find out what really happened"

- PSU says "no investigation please and thank you, we'll take the sanctions"