PDA

View Full Version : Suit dismissed: Broncos' D.J. Williams likely suspended

DomCasual
06-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Bummer.

So long, DJ!

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_20910691/suit-dismissed-broncos-d-j-williams-likely-suspended

The lawsuit filed by Broncos linebacker "D.J." Williams against the National Football League has been dismissed by a U.S. District Court in the Colorado District.

The case is now closed, meaning Williams is likely to serve a six-game suspension to start the season.

Read more: Suit dismissed: Broncos' D.J. Williams likely suspended - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_20910691/suit-dismissed-broncos-d-j-williams-likely-suspended#ixzz1yTLHjHzh
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

DENVERDUI55
06-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way down the road DJ.

BroncoBeavis
06-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Long term, who cares. Short term, 6 games is going to hurt. Bad.

Smiling Assassin27
06-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Can we trade for Patrick Willis or something?

p.s. maybe someone can get Rev to bust his balls on Twitter again. :giggle:

canadianbroncosfan
06-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Long term, who cares. Short term, 6 games is going to hurt. Bad.

^

It'll suck not having him for the six games (or more with the DUI thing) but this is totally on him.

barryr
06-21-2012, 04:37 PM
I would be surprised, but the Broncos should let him go. He really has never been an impact player and I can only remember a few games in all of his career where he stood out for havving a great game or really good game. Leading the team in tackles is great, but when so few tackles are for loss or even at the LOS, then that isn't much of an impact in games.

Lestat
06-21-2012, 05:09 PM
well at least it wasn't a DL getting hurt for the season.

Jetmeck
06-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Look.....bag on him to your hearts content but at least be real.....................
He is the best we have had at LB since we got him..........in that span no one else has stepped up and he has been moved around a lot.............

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Aren't lawsuits and nfl appeals 2 totally different things? It will be less games if he appeals it.

maher_tyler
06-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Why didnt he take the same route as McBean?

oubronco
06-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Look.....bag on him to your hearts content but at least be real.....................
He is the best we have had at LB since we got him..........in that span no one else has stepped up and he has been moved around a lot.............

This is very true

broncswin
06-21-2012, 05:55 PM

This just shows how pathetic our lb core has been....I am bagging on him..he is a dumb shiat..has hurt this team with dumb decision!!

broncocalijohn
06-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Time for SoCal to come on in and defend his adoptee. After all, he is a draftee from the Shanny Era.

eddie mac
06-21-2012, 05:57 PM
I think Woodyard's the better player anyway at WLB and at 40% of the price as well. Fact is though if Fox decides to keep this bum around he'll replace Wesley when his suspension lifts and that's the biggest damn shame in all of this. Cos you're taking a spot off a team leader who's respected by his peers and giving it to an asshole who doesn't give one **** about his teammates or his own personal career. Why else would he cheat or commit so many felonies. DJ doesn't even go to bat for himself let alone the Broncos.

SoCalBronco
06-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Time for SoCal to come on in and defend his adoptee. After all, he is a draftee from the Shanny Era.

Here it is:

A. I'm not willing to agree that DJ violated PCP as to the urine issue, because the defenses and issues he raised relating to the NFL's alleged misconduct have not been decided on the merits by non-NFL personnel.

First thing is first. I'm not sure what requires "defending" about the suit being dismissed. The Judge did NOT make a decision on the merits after an evidentiary hearing on the merits. Rather, according to the PFT article, it appears she simply decided she did not have the authority to second guess the NFL and the NFL already made a decision through its internal appellate process. I grant you that ordinarily, the NFL's findings in these cases are entitled to great weight, since the outside observer does not know what evidence was provided on both sides. However, it would appear that when the investigator was actually fired by the league and there is the contention that the firing is directly relevant to the validity of the testing, then there should be a hearing on the merits by an independent judge, not the same party (NFL) that is accused of the wrongdoing. There is a clear conflict of interest there. Someone truly neutral should determine whether this firing a) had to do with the sample collected here, b) and whether the acts related to the firing are serious enough to make relying on the sample unfair and unreliable. There was no such determination here by anyone not connected with the NFL. They will NEVER rule that they ****ed up. It's a conflict of interest. The concept of the judiciary by its very nature is supposed to be independent. I don't blame the judge for saying I don't have authority to re-try the issue on the actual merits (this might be why DPO says the case was dismissed "as moot" rather than on an actual substantive basis, since the internal NFL appeal was denied). The NFLPA screwed its members by allowing Goodell to remain as judge, jury, executioner and appellate court (his minions, like Herald Henderson). I cannot give the NFL's finding its normal weight when there is a really big bad fact sticking out that needs ot be adjudicated by someone independent. That the NFLPA ****ed up does not mean DJ was right in his contention or wrong. It means we don't know, so I don't have to defend something that wasn't actually litigated on the merits, in a full blown evidentiary trial by a neutral trier of fact that wasn't tied to alleged wrongdoing. Fundamental fairness requires no less.

B. Should he have accepted a 3 game suspension instead?

It would depend upon whether he was given that option PFT suggests he was never given this option. I frankly don't know if he was or if he wasn't. PFT suggests he was not, but I do not know the basis for their viewpoint. This is a matter of legal advise as well. If his attorney felt the appeal was the right way to go and they had a shot, then someone can only do what their attorney reasonably advises. He certainly wasn't the only one. Klis and others suggested earlier that because of the unique facts here, he had a real chance to prevail. Apparently, the Court wouldn't even get to the real issue on procedural grounds. It happens.

C. What about the DUI?

This trial is scheduled in August. From what I understand, the NFL is prohbited by the terms of the CBA for imposing a penalty for something that was done prior to enactment of the current CBA, so if he loses in the DUI, I don't think it will change anything with respect to harming the Broncos. This might be why Montrose mentioned earlier that he got 6 games instead of say 4 because Goodell wanted to use something else to punish him for the DUI without actually officially punishing him for the DUI (since, if the CBA truly does prohibit punishment for acts prior to the CBA, he couldn't come out and punish him specifically for the DUI).

D. What should the Broncos do?

At this point, I think the question of whether the team should make a move should be decided on an analysis of the benefits vs. the detriments. This requires a discussion of the various intersets at play....football, financial, reputational etc. If my understanding of the CBA is correct (i.e. there can be no further punishments for the DUI regardless of what happens), then we know the punishment cannot be more htan 6 games. First, we must consider the financial interest. At this time, Denver remains well under the salary cap and it would appear at this late date that Denver has no plans to add any other high priced players. So, freeing up the 3-3.5m would not appear to be of any specific benefit for 2012 (I noted 3-3.5m because I think the 6 game checks do not get paid out to him, he doesnt recieve his whole salary, so the savings is not the full amount, its just the other 10 games). Here, there is a financial benefit of some savings, but considering the lack of prejudice in terms of further spending and our current cap situation, it would not seem to be a significant benefit (for 2012, there is ofcourse the seperate question of 2013 and that is certainly a whole new analysis, but the team does not need to make that decision at this time, rather, only for 2012).

We next come to an analysis of the football interests. I do not see even a marginal benefit of cutting him here. We are left with WW (who the staff soured on towards the end of the year, see Montrose's posts) and Trevathan, a rookie, who is expected to be a ST'er in 2012 and possible contributor in the nickel. The staff has never suggested he could hack it as an actual starter at WLB (his speed suggests otherwise...at least for now). DJ is a very good LB and very versatile. He can play WLB, MLB and SLB and is still a very good WLB. He had 5.5 sacks last year despite playing only about 13 games and made big plays in several games (strip sack vs. Miami, making sure to get the Chicago RB out of bounds etc.). He's got range that no one else does (no one else at LB can both drop back in the Tampa 2 and chase sideline to sideline well). It's clear that from a football standpoint, having him there in addition to WW and DT provides a significant benefit. Considering the Manning era is probably only 2 years, I would think we should want to be as strong as possible roster wise while he is here.

The last interest I would see is reputational. Here the Broncos could reasonably believe that there would be reputational problems of keeping him on the roster if they believe he doesn't fit what they are about. I understand and accept that making several stupid mistakes could raise red flags and they could reasonably feel that they just don't want to be a part of it. That is a legitimate take from the team. I think some of these things are more boneheaded than done with malice so I wouldn't go too far in that direction, but it is a legitimate argument, I definitely understand that. In any event, I think only 1 out of 3 interests would be in favor of getting rid of him, so in my own analysis, that wouldn't be enough to justify it, but two reasonable people could definitely disagree.

JMO.

Jetmeck
06-21-2012, 09:50 PM
This just shows how pathetic our lb core has been....I am bagging on him..he is a dumb shiat..has hurt this team with dumb decision!!

he is an angel compared to some and no angel compared to a Tebow like player but hell do you over react much ?

Kaylore
06-21-2012, 10:19 PM
The last interest I would see is reputational. Here the Broncos could reasonably believe that there would be reputational problems of keeping him on the roster if they believe he doesn't fit what they are about. I understand and accept that making several stupid mistakes could raise red flags and they could reasonably feel that they just don't want to be a part of it. That is a legitimate take from the team. I think some of these things are more boneheaded than done with malice so I wouldn't go too far in that direction, but it is a legitimate argument, I definitely understand that.
This is all I wanted to hear you admit. No matter what you think of him as a player. His DUI act and just general bone-headed moves, like repeated ones, are not working. Not for the Broncos and not for him.

DarkHorse30
06-21-2012, 10:34 PM
DJ has not earned his salary; and has been suspended. I know that his progress has been hampered by too many DC's with differing plans on how to use him - but if he had used that experience to make himself into a centerpiece of the LB core, then he would have earned a spot on the team. But he didn't and is only the most talented of an average crew of LBs - and now he is suspended for 6 games - plus he's a bit of a dunderhead with the play book postin nonsense.

Bottom line to me is that he isn't a cog worth rehabilitating in a new crew that presumably has a DC that knows how to coach LBs. If DJ was/is a star, why is it a question? He has underperformed from the beginning and is now a bit of a head case.

I'd love to see him come back in week 7 and light it up - but I'm not holding my breath. Cutting him seems pointless bacause he's not preventing any of the younger guys from getting playing time to develop in the first quarter+ of the season

Bacchus
06-21-2012, 10:58 PM
DJ has not earned his salary; and has been suspended. I know that his progress has been hampered by too many DC's with differing plans on how to use him - but if he had used that experience to make himself into a centerpiece of the LB core, then he would have earned a spot on the team. But he didn't and is only the most talented of an average crew of LBs - and now he is suspended for 6 games - plus he's a bit of a dunderhead with the play book postin nonsense.

Bottom line to me is that he isn't a cog worth rehabilitating in a new crew that presumably has a DC that knows how to coach LBs. If DJ was/is a star, why is it a question? He has underperformed from the beginning and is now a bit of a head case.

I'd love to see him come back in week 7 and light it up - but I'm not holding my breath. Cutting him seems pointless bacause he's not preventing any of the younger guys from getting playing time to develop in the first quarter+ of the season

I think DJ will have one more year here in Denver. He is still the best most solid LBer. He is also the best LBer in coverage on the TE.

He is most definitley playing for his job. I suppose if another LBer really shows out in camp that could be bad news for Williams but I do not see it happen. Denver is too mediocre and too young to discard Williams this year.

BroncoMan4ever
06-21-2012, 11:11 PM
^

It'll suck not having him for the six games (or more with the DUI thing) but this is totally on him.

yes it will be terrible not seeing him out there getting washed out of plays, not making an impact that justifies his salary and making tackles after the ball carrier has already picked up 5 or more yards.

in the words of Peyton Manning "CUT THAT MEAT!" he is a turd and it is time to flush.

lonestar
06-22-2012, 12:35 AM
I would be surprised, but the Broncos should let him go. He really has never been an impact player and I can only remember a few games in all of his career where he stood out for havving a great game or really good game. Leading the team in tackles is great, but when so few tackles are for loss or even at the LOS, then that isn't much of an impact in games.

losing him at least 37% of the season with the broncos sending $1,875,000.00 to NFL charities and not getting a dimes worth of production in return..

Tack on a couple more games for DUI and make it a round quarter of a million..

AS you said never has been an impact player and frankly that is what you should expect from a $5 million dollar a year guy..

At least that is what I expect.. if he is making vet minimum no sweat for those numbers..

Lets hope that John cuts one more of Tanahans mistakes..

lonestar
06-22-2012, 12:40 AM

Likely with the DUI issuehe would not see the field till mid season..

Frankly Miller is the most talent of the LB's head above DJ..

and his covering of TE's well about the same as goody covering wr's following them into the endzone after they were beat..

cut him and move on.. save the money.. Woodyard had almost the same season in 7 starts as dj did in 13..

G GS Total Solo Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF FR
Willaims
2011 DEN 13 13 90 70 20 5.0 -- 2 -- -- -- -- -- 3 1
Woodyard
2011 DEN 15 7 97 67 30 0.0 -- 2 -- -- -- -- -- 2 --

Agamemnon
06-22-2012, 02:45 AM
Well here's hoping Trevathan plays up the hype he's been getting so far in camp

Jetmeck
06-22-2012, 02:24 PM
yes it will be terrible not seeing him out there getting washed out of plays, not making an impact that justifies his salary and making tackles after the ball carrier has already picked up 5 or more yards.

in the words of Peyton Manning "CUT THAT MEAT!" he is a turd and it is time to flush.

that is total BS and you know it.............

Jetmeck
06-22-2012, 02:26 PM
some of you guys are real idiots...he is the best all around LB we have right now..................

oubronco
06-22-2012, 03:14 PM
I get an extended vacation Woot Woot

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2012/0521/20120521__broncos-dj-williams~p1.jpg

DBroncos4life
06-22-2012, 04:32 PM
some of you guys are real idiots...he is the best all around LB we have right now..................

Helps if he keeps himself out of trouble so he can PLAY!!!

broncswin
06-22-2012, 06:21 PM
he is an angel compared to some and no angel compared to a Tebow like player but hell do you over react much ?

hey...you wanna hang on this guy, go for it...over react..Hilarious!..don't be such a baby!! You are right, I should high five him and go buy his jersey...oh wait, I am guessing that is what you did!! STFU

broncswin
06-22-2012, 06:23 PM

...................LET TEBOW GO...........where is Tebow even mentioned in my post

ZONA
06-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Agreed. He's been a good LB and anybody who says different is just nit picking on some select plays. Sucks he had to get the DUI but yeah, that's on him. Team counts on you to be there and when you're not by your own doing, that's failed leadership.

lonestar
06-22-2012, 09:32 PM

Willaims
Woodyard
Miller
2011 DEN 15 15 64 50 14 11.5 -- 4 -- -- -- -- -- 2 --

so you would rather overpay a guy that is performing at the same level as Woodyard is .

Not to mention Miller is heads above DJ in productivity.. and played half the season with one hand..

You man love is showing..

Sorry but IF he only gets 2 games off because of the DUI that means he ONLY misses half the season..

Maybe he is your cousin or owes you money?

Vegas_Bronco
06-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Willaims
Woodyard
Miller

so you would rather overpay a guy that is performing at the same level as Woodyard is .

Not to mention Miller is heads above DJ in productivity.. and played half the season with one hand..

Sorry but IF he only gets 2 games off becasue of the DUI that means he misses half the season..

Does this include special teams?

lonestar
06-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Does this include special teams?

no and since DJ does not play ST..

those numbers for Woody may only go up..

Vegas_Bronco
06-22-2012, 09:40 PM
no and since DJ does not play ST..

those numbers for Woody may only go up..

I was referring to Woody...just seems like this number is high and contains ST play. Regardless, it's impressive.

lonestar
06-22-2012, 09:48 PM
I was referring to Woody...just seems like this number is high and contains ST play. Regardless, it's impressive.

Pretty sure ST numbers are not counted in regular numbers..

While I like the guy and have since day one, I'm not sure he is the LONG term answer at WILL, just not big enough to handle the long season and beating one takes..

Think he will make an excellent back up guy and ST captain..

I know that DJ is not the guy..

Besides being a head case he flat does not make big plays..

I Can't remember him ever blowing up plays..
He is an average LB IMO and certainly not worth the money he is making.. $5+million dollar guys are those that make big plays at the LOS or behind it, not chase down plays from behind , making the tackle after they have made the first down....

Sorry but he is not that good to be pining over..

Jetmeck
06-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Willaims
Woodyard
Miller

Sorry but IF he only gets 2 games off because of the DUI that means he ONLY misses half the season..

I want what is best for the team and right now he is the best we got and you stick your stats up your ass...............I am not new Bronco fan and have seen WW play.............now way he fills DJs shoes and you know its the truth.

Jetmeck
06-22-2012, 11:20 PM
just **** you idiots............LB is now our weakest position by far and you want to jettison only the best all around one we have.

overreacting ****in fools................ maybe everyone of you all so perfect two faced assholes should all go in to work tomorrow and be fired.................sounds like a plan to me........

broncswin
06-22-2012, 11:29 PM
just **** you idiots............LB is now our weakest position by far and you want to jettison only the best all around one we have.

overreacting ****in fools................ maybe everyone of you all so perfect two faced a-holes should all go in to work tomorrow and be fired.................sounds like a plan to me........

Wow..come on jet..maybe take a break from this one.. i like your takes on most issues:kiss:

DBroncos4life
06-23-2012, 07:52 AM

overreacting ****in fools................ maybe everyone of you all so perfect two faced a-holes should all go in to work tomorrow and be fired.................sounds like a plan to me........

Lol DJ Williams himself made the LB position our weakest spot on the D and you defend him and get pissed at us fans Hilarious!:giggle:

Dr. Broncenstein
06-23-2012, 07:57 AM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2012/0521/20120521__broncos-dj-williams~p1.jpg

What a roadside sobriety test failure might look like...

BroncoMan4ever
06-23-2012, 08:02 AM

Well considering he isn't going to contribute for at least half a season once his DUI case happens what exactly will he contribute besides headaches from stupidity for franchise and fans

BroncoMan4ever
06-23-2012, 08:03 AM
I get an extended vacation Woot Woot

Look like Tarzan play like Jane.

Captain 'Dre
06-23-2012, 10:06 AM

Facebook Posting:

Now... here's a pic of me failin' my roadside SO-briety test!

The video tape reveals that, at the moment the picture was snapped, I was sayin' "Yo, Ossifer! Gimme a low five, homes!"

broncswin
06-23-2012, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=Dr. Broncenstein;3610545][IMG]http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2012/0521/20120521__broncos-dj-williams~p1.jpg

Look at champ in the back ground...:unamused:

IHaveALight
06-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Been saying it for years. WW > DJ at will.
DJ at Mike or time to cut him lose.

DENVERDUI55
06-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Local COORS light sales will drop if we trade this bum.

razorwire77
06-23-2012, 12:05 PM
At this point, I think you cut ties with D.J. after this season or drastically restructure his contract. However, WWIII or some 6th rounder or UDFA ain't going to be an upgrade at Will. The team can't simply tell D.J. to go **** himself, unless a better viable option is found. That isn't going to be Orangemane mascot Wesley Woodyard.

baja
06-23-2012, 12:21 PM
At this point, I think you cut ties with D.J. after this season or drastically restructure his contract. However, WWIII or some 6th rounder or UDFA ain't going to be an upgrade at Will. The team can't simply tell D.J. to go **** himself, unless a better viable option is found. That isn't going to be Orangemane mascot Wesley Woodyard.

Can we transplant Woodyard's brain into DJ's body?

IHaveALight
06-23-2012, 12:36 PM
I fail to see where the Broncos D ever had a huge drop off when WW was playing in place of DJ. People have been buying the DJ hype way to long around here, he's an above average player period. Personally I don't see much of a difference production wise between the two. I do prefer WW though because he does seems to "fly around" more as a Will should. It is the Will's job to work in space and get to the ball. While DJ is pretty good at doing that, there is no difference to DJ and WW in this regard. DJ is more versatile than just that though, he is more of light Mike than anything, probably ideal fit should be Mike in a Tampa 2 system.

BroncoMan4ever
06-23-2012, 02:42 PM

Once again I ask. What is the worth of a "supposedly" better player if he doesn't play due to suspension?

lonestar
06-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Local COORS light sales will drop if we trade this bum.

no way you can trade him.. what self-respecting GM would give anything for this moron..

He has a half year suspension hanging over his head.. and a FIVE Million dollar contract to boot..

If he were worth half that money maybe we get a whooper for him..

lonestar
06-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Once again I ask. What is the worth of a "supposedly" better player if he doesn't play due to suspension?

:thumbs:

Bronco Yoda
06-24-2012, 03:01 AM
We've got a lot of time and money invested in this bonehead. WTF.... Very disappointing.

lonestar
06-24-2012, 04:02 PM
We've got a lot of time and money invested in this bonehead. WTF.... Very disappointing.

Yep Tanahan DAFTING again.. then allowing his (5) DC's to move this kid around like a checkers player..

Probably the biggest mistake outside of DAFTING him was moving him to Sam when he overpaid for Gold to come back..

DENVERDUI55
06-24-2012, 04:54 PM
no way you can trade him.. what self-respecting GM would give anything for this moron..

He has a half year suspension hanging over his head.. and a FIVE Million dollar contract to boot..

If he were worth half that money maybe we get a whooper for him..

Trade was wrong word outright cut this bum.

bowtown
06-24-2012, 07:39 PM
If DJ gets suspended does he count against the 53 man roster for the first 6 weeks?

Missouribronc
06-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Best linebacker on the team.

It would be stupid to get rid of him.

lonestar
06-24-2012, 08:51 PM

Guess you missed the Miller debate.. Not to mention the Woodyard side show..

BroncoMan4ever
06-24-2012, 09:53 PM

once again. he is worthless if he can't play and contribute. i don't care if he had Ray Lewis talent, he would still be worthless to the team sitting on his couch for half the season.

he is in the last year of his current deal and isn't worth the headache anymore. his mediocre play can be replaced. someone else can get washed out of plays and make tackles after the ball carrier has picked up good yardage or a first down

BroncoLifer
06-25-2012, 09:21 AM
If DJ gets suspended does he count against the 53 man roster for the first 6 weeks?

Under the old CBA, suspended players did not count against the limit. I don't know for sure if that changed under the new CBA but would be surprsied if it did.

BroncoBeavis
06-25-2012, 09:55 AM
To me the play of WW is irrelevant. The question is whether you can find better talent than DJ on the market to replace him. If not, it makes no sense to get rid of him unless you're a rebuilding team.

BroncoBen
06-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Why didnt he take the same route as McBean?

I think he didn't want to admit to any wrong doing... I have a feeling he will be out 4 games. I would be surprised if the Broncos release him.. the Broncos will just suck it up for the 4 games till he gets back.

BroncoMan4ever
06-25-2012, 12:57 PM
I think he didn't want to admit to any wrong doing... I have a feeling he will be out 4 games. I would be surprised if the Broncos release him.. the Broncos will just suck it up for the 4 games till he gets back.

i think the fact that he took it to court is going to work against him. had he taken the suspension, shut his mouth and quietly appealed it he would have wound up with a less sever punishment of probably 3 or 4 games, but the fact that he fought it in court is going to screw him in the end. add in his DUI case and he is gone at least 6 games. as far as i know he hasn't even tried talking with the league about reducing the suspension, he got it and went to the legal system. no way will Goodell reduce that suspension after Williams took it that route instead of going to the NFLPA and having them argue on his behalf to the league.

Missouribronc
06-25-2012, 08:23 PM
once again. he is worthless if he can't play and contribute. i don't care if he had Ray Lewis talent, he would still be worthless to the team sitting on his couch for half the season.

he is in the last year of his current deal and isn't worth the headache anymore. his mediocre play can be replaced. someone else can get washed out of plays and make tackles after the ball carrier has picked up good yardage or a first down

I always laugh at people who think his play is mediocre and worthless.

You lack perspective.

The best part is the complaints about tackling the last 10 years and the Broncos have a good tackler, and people call him mediocre and want him cut, it's, frankly pretty stupid.

I mean, it's easy to replace 90 tackles, 5.5 sacks and three forced fumbles. Easy, it tell you...lol.

TonyR
06-26-2012, 11:34 AM
ē Broncos LB D.J. Williams continues to make headlines for the wrong reasons. A couple weeks after tweeting a photo of the teamís defensive playbook, Williams is back in the news for his appeal after a judge dismissed Williamsí complaint against the NFL for his six-game suspension. We hear that Williamsí roster spot would be under more scrutiny if the team had more depth at the linebacker position. Williams has led the Broncos in tackles in five of his eight seasons and his replacement for a few games last year, Wesley Woodyard, played well, and will be expected to do so again to start 2012.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/story/permalink/33390

Garcia Bronco
06-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Go WW.

Garcia Bronco
06-26-2012, 11:44 AM
To me the play of WW is irrelevant. The question is whether you can find better talent than DJ on the market to replace him. If not, it makes no sense to get rid of him unless you're a rebuilding team.

Except we don't want a drunk in our community potentially killing people. We also don't want someone in our community that is viewed as a cheater. We also don't want a person on the team that displays the play book for public consumption.

razorwire77
06-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Except we don't want a drunk in our community potentially killing people. We also don't want someone in our community that is viewed as a cheater. We also don't want a person on the team that displays the play book for public consumption.

I agree that D.J. is an idiot, but from a football perspective starting WW because he's a swell guy just doesn't cut it either. This ain't intramurals. If WWIII was a starting caliber NFL Will, D.J. would have been dealt after stupid decision number 16, instead of always getting inserted back into the starting lineup regardless of what he does. I'm all for getting rid of D.J. next season when the team has drafted a Will or acquired a proven FA to replace D.J., but cutting him and rolling with a special teams player and a 6th round draft pick is stupid. He's still the best LB on the team not named Von Miller.

Garcia Bronco
06-26-2012, 12:30 PM
I agree that D.J. is an idiot, but from a football perspective starting WW because he's a swell guy just doesn't cut it either. This ain't intramurals. If WWIII was a starting caliber NFL Will, D.J. would have been dealt after stupid decision number 16, instead of always getting inserted back into the starting lineup regardless of what he does. I'm all for getting rid of D.J. next season when the team has drafted a Will or acquired a proven FA to replace D.J., but cutting him and rolling with a special teams player and a 6th round draft pick is stupid. He's still the best LB on the team not named Von Miller.

Maybe....but I put our community saftey above a silly football team...and that's exactly what it is in comparison. this from a person that moved to Colorado to in part...go see the Broncos.

BroncoBeavis
06-26-2012, 12:40 PM

I'm not so sure you're really ready for life in an NFL town. :)

DENVERDUI55
06-26-2012, 12:47 PM
We all know the drunk anti playmaking LB will appear after his suspension and pull a hammy or hurt something else once he comes back. Cut the dead weight out of locker.

razorwire77
06-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Maybe....but I put our community saftey above a silly football team...and that's exactly what it is in comparison. this from a person that moved to Colorado to in part...go see the Broncos.

The star QB for the Steelers is most likely a rapist. Ray Lewis is a scumbag accessory to murder. Demaryius Thomas fingered a girl when she was either passed out drunk or drugged. Prater has a DUI, Rod Smith was arrested. John Mobley was arrested, Moreno was popped on a DUI with a vanity place advertising said behavior, Donte Stallworth killed a pedestrian while driving drunk and is still in the league etc. etc. etc. Not to condone any of these actions, but if your overly concerned about morality in professional sports, my advice is to stop watching. I'm all for bringing in as many good guys off the field as you can, but every team has a D.J. or three.

Garcia Bronco
06-26-2012, 01:16 PM
The star QB for the Steelers is most likely a rapist. Ray Lewis is a scumbag accessory to murder. Demaryius Thomas fingered a girl when she was either passed out drunk or drugged. Prater has a DUI, Rod Smith was arrested. John Mobley was arrested, Moreno was popped on a DUI with a vanity place advertising said behavior, Donte Stallworth killed a pedestrian while driving drunk and is still in the league etc. etc. etc. Not to condone any of these actions, but if your overly concerned about morality in professional sports, my advice is to stop watching. I'm all for bringing in as many good guys off the field as you can, but every team has a D.J. or three.

If we all demanded it and voted according with our dollars...it would come to a screeching halt.

razorwire77
06-26-2012, 01:26 PM
If we all demanded it and voted according with our dollars...it would come to a screeching halt.

It would never work. The NFL is a microcosm of society in general. Consumers or in this case fans, want results. Wins, money, inexpensive products, it doesn't matter. For the most part people could care less about how the cow is killed as long as they get the steak, although most people will feign outrage until the media cycle forgets the story. The NFL is no different.

DBroncos4life
06-26-2012, 01:27 PM
We all know the drunk anti playmaking LB will appear after his suspension and pull a hammy or hurt something else once he comes back. Cut the dead weight out of locker.

lol get real dude DJ is a lot of things but, oft hurt is not one of them.

BroncoMan4ever
06-26-2012, 01:58 PM

is he of any help to a team if he is gone half the season?

none of the DJ apologists will answer that question. he is in the last year of his deal and at best he is gone only 6 games. but don't forget he has a DUI case, and more than likely that will cost him 2 games. he has no worth to this team probably for half the season and when he returns from suspension, all he will do is mess with the chemistry his replacement has built up with the other 10 guys on defense over the season.

everyone who calls for us keeping him says he is our best LB, and to that i say, no wonder our LB corps sucks. and he truly is not much better than his backups. he is average at best. of the other 31 teams in the league, he wouldn't start for many.

BroncoBeavis
06-26-2012, 02:04 PM

none of the DJ apologists will answer that question. he is in the last year of his deal and at best he is gone only 6 games. but don't forget he has a DUI case, and more than likely that will cost him 2 games. he has no worth to this team probably for half the season and when he returns from suspension, all he will do is mess with the chemistry his replacement has built up with the other 10 guys on defense over the season.

everyone who calls for us keeping him says he is our best LB, and to that i say, no wonder our LB corps sucks. and he truly is not much better than his backups. he is average at best. of the other 31 teams in the league, he wouldn't start for many.

Even if only for depth, when you have competing for a title in mind, you keep hold of the best players available. You have no better alternative with which to replace DJ, so you keep him. If you can't win most of the first 6 games without him, you probably weren't a title contender anyway.

But if you cut him and count on one guy already on the roster to fill those shoes, the only thing you've really accomplished is to decrease the depth. Now an injury goes from a bad deal to a catastrophe.

lonestar
06-26-2012, 02:08 PM

Should I just call it, Sorry can't pass on this hey Butthead we are rebuilding the team..

Have you missed the past 4 years?

Since Tanahan was fired for cause..

we have turned over almost every starter on the team save Clady, Kuper, Champ, Doom, Prater and DJ.

Not sure why you feel he is worth keeping considering he will miss at least 37% of the season if not 50% after the DUI is plead out..

WW had almost the same season he did last year filling in for him and is not costing us 5 mil against the cap..

Time to let the moron go..

lonestar
06-26-2012, 02:15 PM

Mo your smarter than this post.

Willaims
Woodyard
Miller

Other than sacks you seem to be in error.. and that was playing part tim for WW..

and as for best LB well Miller fills that bill hands down..

DJ is a moron, several teams have a DJ rule when they hand out the Ipad Playbooks.

Takes a special kind of guy to have the NFL name a rule after you..

razorwire77
06-26-2012, 02:15 PM

If he's average, what does that make WWIII if he can't beat him out despite being on the team for several and D.J. doing dumb ass things pretty much annually? I can tell you week 13 if we're neck and neck with San Diego or the Chefs for the AFC west, I'd rather have D.J. at Will than a 6th round draft pick rookie or a nickle LB/special teamer. I'm not saying OMG D.J. is God, but he's the 2nd best LB on the team right now. Like it or not. Good or bad, the team has to roll with him until they can upgrade the position in 2013. To outright cut him would be idiotic.

lonestar
06-26-2012, 02:24 PM
If he's average, what does that make WWIII if he can't beat him out despite being on the team for several and D.J. doing dumb ass things pretty much annually? I can tell you week 13 if we're neck and neck with San Diego or the Chefs for the AFC west, I'd rather have D.J. at Will than a 6th round draft pick rookie or a nickle LB/special teamer. I'm not saying OMG D.J. is God, but he's the 2nd best LB on the team right now. Like it or not. Good or bad, the team has to roll with him until they can upgrade the position in 2013. To outright cut him would be idiotic.

stats seem to disprove that part of your statement..

Willaims
Woodyard
Miller

While I do not think that WW is the long-term solution at WIL and I really like his hustle, DJ is past history and is dragging the team down with his off the field crap..

all the outside drama he has brought to the team in the pst couple of years has to hurt the concentration of the team..

He was a captain until he was stripped because of the first DUI and then this last one and cap it off with the tweet showing the playbook and telling folks he has to learn another position..

he hurts the locker room with that crap ..

If for no other reason the few friends he has from years past have to defend his worthless ass to the newbies..

I'm guessing that Manning has little if any love for this cancer..

lonestar
06-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Even if only for depth, when you have competing for a title in mind, you keep hold of the best players available. You have no better alternative with which to replace DJ, so you keep him. If you can't win most of the first 6 games without him, you probably weren't a title contender anyway.

But if you cut him and count on one guy already on the roster to fill those shoes, the only thing you've really accomplished is to decrease the depth. Now an injury goes from a bad deal to a catastrophe.

the odds are with or without him we lose more than half of those first six games and more than likely it will be 8 games not six..

If you're keeping him for depth why the hell are you paying him $5,000,000.00..

Please explain that..

there will be a half-dozen LB between now and the regular season that will be available for depth.. Most of which will be far under that $5 mil price tag and be less of a distraction..

BroncoBeavis
06-26-2012, 02:33 PM
the odds are with or without him we lose more than half of those first six games and more than likely it will be 8 games not six..

If you're keeping him for depth why the hell are you paying him $5,000,000.00..

Please explain that..

there will be a half-dozen LB between now and the regular season that will be available for depth.. Most of which will be far under that $5 mil price tag and be less of a distraction..

I'm actually not sure how the rules on that work as far as cutting a suspended player. It doesn't make sense to me that the league would allow you to recoup that cap money, but maybe you can. My assumption is we're stuck paying him for the first 6 either way.

Edit: maybe I'm wrong. It looks like suspended players maybe don't count against the cap at all while suspended. But I'm not sure why you'd cut a player who you're essentially not paying. Why give up free rights to the guy you're not paying?

lonestar
06-26-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm actually not sure how the rules on that work as far as cutting a suspended player. It doesn't make sense to me that the league would allow you to recoup that cap money, but maybe you can. My assumption is we're stuck paying him for the first 6 either way.

I also do not know about that kind of rule for sure, but I do not believe the NFL has that kind of rule..

I think and I repeat that think, that one can cut a player for conduct detrimental to the club.. at any time..

Might get a grievance but I think it would be hard to beat it since he is a moron with double DUI's, the playbook incident and then failing a drug test..

I do not think the NFLPA would even attempt to back the player on that much..

If it was one thing maybe but one thing after another and it is not like he is a superstar that his salary cap numbers imply.. he is slightly above average..

razorwire77
06-26-2012, 02:56 PM

Kyle Orton was once on pace to throw for 5,300 yards in McDaniel's offense. Stats without relevance mean nothing. Break down some tape and show me how WWIII is a better Will LB than an average D.J. Williams. If he's the better player, why has every defensive coordinator since the two players have been on the team together always found a way to start D.J., despite D.J. being captain DWI and Mr. Upskirt? When the 6-8 game suspension is over Del Rio will probably do the same thing again despite the fact that D.J.'s been busted with dirty urine, and tweeted parts of the playbook.

Are they doing it because D.J. is a fun guy at parties? Are they doing it because he has an upskirt photo of Pat Bowlen's daughter? Nope, it must be because he's a significantly better linebacker than WWIII or a late round draft pick rookie and they don't have a choice. At least until they draft or acquire a viable replacement.

lonestar
06-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Edit: maybe I'm wrong. It looks like suspended players maybe don't count against the cap at all while suspended. But I'm not sure why you'd cut a player who you're essentially not paying. Why give up free rights to the guy you're not paying?

Why keep the rights I believe in the adage where there is smoke there is fire..

he is not that good to be making $5 mil a season and he is gone next year anyway, so why is it even a discussion ?

cut your loses now and add $5 mil back to the salary cap and add depth when TC cuts are announced..

seems pretty simple to me.. and this is coming from a guy that likes WW as a Player but does not think he is long-term solution..

I'd rather play the rookie and get him the experience and even IF he is not quite at DJ's level he will be shortly and after next year it happens anyway..

lonestar
06-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Kyle Orton was once on pace to throw for 5,300 yards in McDaniel's offense. Stats without relevance mean nothing. Break down some tape and show me how WWIII is a better Will LB than an average D.J. Williams. If he's the better player, why has every defensive coordinator since the two players have been on the team together always found a way to start D.J., despite D.J. being captain DWI and Mr. Upskirt? When the 6-8 game suspension is over Del Rio will probably do the same thing again despite the fact that D.J.'s been busted with dirty urine, and tweeted parts of the playbook.

Are they doing it because D.J. is a fun guy at parties? Are they doing it because he has an upskirt photo of Pat Bowlen's daughter? Nope, it must be because he's a significantly better linebacker than WWIII or a late round draft pick rookie and they don't have a choice. At least until they draft or acquire a viable replacement.

IIRC they drafted his replacement this year.. so that should take care of most of your issues..

Get the rookie experience and EVEN if he is not quite DJ he probably will not be an embarrassment to DEN like DUI is..

Why have other DC started the guy the moron is making $5mil a year.. he is good enough t start but not a superstar that $5 mill would suggest he is..

BTW we have had a revolving door at DC since forever or at least as long as DJ has been on the team..

Just maybe they want to see if he is that special.. SO far in most folks Opine he is not..

Since you seemd to have missed that stats on our LB's

Willaims
Woodyard
Miller

there is an insignificant difference between DJ and WW and considering the moron will most likely be gone for half the season why carry the dead weight..

if you look you will see that their stats are close, without the who had more playing time comparison..

BroncoBeavis
06-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Why keep the rights I believe in the adage where there is smoke there is fire..

At the very least, you keep the rights in case they become worth something at some point. Even if you no longer want DJ on the field, maybe someone will suffer an injury that leaves them desperate and we can squeeze a 5th or 6th rounder out of them for it. If that doesn't look possible, you can still cut DJ when the suspension is over and you're out nothing.

Or more likely, they'll decide at that point that DJ's better than any other option on the market and (over)pay him.

R-Mac
06-26-2012, 03:22 PM
DJ Williams adds to the pass rush. That's the main difference between him and Woodyard. I would like to see Woodyard starting at OLB with DJ Williams starting at MLB. DJ can rush the passer and he is better than Joe Mays in coverage and tackles. Unlike Mays, the defense can keep DJ on 3rd down. Miller, DJ Williams and Woodyard are the best LBs on the roster. They should be the starters.

IHaveALight
06-26-2012, 03:36 PM
DJ Williams adds to the pass rush. That's the main difference between him and Woodyard. I would like to see Woodyard starting at OLB with DJ Williams starting at MLB. DJ can rush the passer and he is better than Joe Mays in coverage and tackles. Unlike Mays, the defense can keep DJ on 3rd down. Miller, DJ Williams and Woodyard are the best LBs on the roster. They should be the starters.

Last year was the first time I remember DJ making an impact on the pass rush. I credit that to teams focusing on Von and Doom.

Jetmeck
06-26-2012, 04:21 PM

Willaims
Woodyard
Miller

While I do not think that WW is the long-term solution at WIL and I really like his hustle, DJ is past history and is dragging the team down with his off the field crap..

all the outside drama he has brought to the team in the pst couple of years has to hurt the concentration of the team..

He was a captain until he was stripped because of the first DUI and then this last one and cap it off with the tweet showing the playbook and telling folks he has to learn another position..

he hurts the locker room with that crap ..

If for no other reason the few friends he has from years past have to defend his worthless ass to the newbies..

I'm guessing that Manning has little if any love for this cancer..

you are an idiot................WW is not in the same leaque as DJ.

WE clearly need to keep the best all around LB on the team......Miller is not the best all around backer and you know it.

Any Broncos fans with eyeballs sees that DJ is our best LB right now............just as anyone with eyes on here sees your stupidity.

You hate Shanny and DJ, have had multiple reposts of your stupid takes posted recently proving how often you are wrong and yet you keep running your mouth like we are supposed to think you know something ?

Idiots like you voted for Bush not once but twice ? Tell me I am wrong................

lonestar
06-26-2012, 04:22 PM
At the very least, you keep the rights in case they become worth something at some point. Even if you no longer want DJ on the field, maybe someone will suffer an injury that leaves them desperate and we can squeeze a 5th or 6th rounder out of them for it. If that doesn't look possible, you can still cut DJ when the suspension is over and you're out nothing.

Or more likely, they'll decide at that point that DJ's better than any other option on the market and (over)pay him.

SO your saying you would spend $5 mil betting he may have value down the road, so when he comes off suspension mid year who are you going to cut to make room for this "maybe" 5-6th rounder..

IIRC the trading deadline is over by then..

cut your losses on this argument..

lonestar
06-26-2012, 04:26 PM

DJ has up till last two years not been able to buy a sack on a consistent basis..

What is to say that WW is not able to do the same thing..

As for Mays one of the football ratings sites had really great sats and remarks on him.. So not so sure that agrument rings true..

Hey how about we let JDR who is the ex NFL LB make these heady decisions..

lonestar
06-26-2012, 04:36 PM

WE clearly need to keep the best all around LB on the team......Miller is not the best all around backer and you know it.

Any Broncos fans with eyeballs sees that DJ is our best LB right now............just as anyone with eyes on here sees your stupidity.

You hate Shanny and DJ, have had multiple reposts of your stupid takes posted recently proving how often you are wrong and yet you keep running your mouth like we are supposed to think you know something ?

Idiots like you voted for Bush not once but twice ? Tell me I am wrong................

Your wrong..

about it all..

†but then what can I say..

You contend that DJ playing half or less of 2012 is worth keeping at his $5,ooo,ooo.oo cap value..

That he is going to produce more than the other LB's and is worth keeping.

WW is a hair behind him in stats and that is only playing part of the season..ONLY Part of the snaps..

and yes DJ makes loads of tackles, but most are for a first down, so really what is that worth?

How many at the LOS tackles does he make?

How many does he make for just a yard or two gain?

for superstar money he should be making a REAL difference..

and few will believe you would rather have DJ over Miller if we had to get rid of one..

because that is what you are implying when you say DJ is the best LB we have..

DO I dislike DJ or Tanahan? Absolutely they are or were an embarrassment to the Broncos..

think your still pissed that I right about AA..††

lonestar
06-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Last year was the first time I remember DJ making an impact on the pass rush. I credit that to teams focusing on Von and Doom.

Actually he had 5 sacks in 10..

but then they had no one else to rush the QB since Doom was on vacation:thumbsup:

I had always wondered why with his speed they had never tried to use him that way..

IIRC there was a comment made by a fellow player during the MLB time frame that DJ was a gifted athlete but was dumber than a post.. they had to give LOS D calls to some one else.. Also commented that he just did not get the timing on shooting the gaps..

I'm sure someone who has been around for a while will confirm that .. I know it was not on here as I did not spend much if any time here then..

I guess his recent FUBARS might be a confirmation of being dumber than a post..

BroncoBeavis
06-26-2012, 04:44 PM
SO your saying you would spend $5 mil betting he may have value down the road, so when he comes off suspension mid year who are you going to cut to make room for this "maybe" 5-6th rounder..

IIRC the trading deadline is over by then..

cut your losses on this argument..

You might have a point on the trading deadline, but even so, the deadline is probably close to when DJ's suspension would be lifted. At the very least you'd wait until the deadline.

What possible advantage would there be to cut a guy who doesn't eat a roster spot and you're not paying?

lonestar
06-26-2012, 04:44 PM

Did I miss something they both still play in the NFL right?

lonestar
06-26-2012, 04:52 PM
You might have a point on the trading deadline, but even so, the deadline is probably close to when DJ's suspension would be lifted. At the very least you'd wait until the deadline.

What possible advantage would there be to cut a guy who doesn't eat a roster spot and you're not paying?

Because he has zero value other than being a controversy, further embarrassment to Dove Valley.

If he was a super stud like his salary implies maybe weather the storm..

John did not draft Trevathan and almost clone of DJ becasue he thought that DJ was going to be long term..

Strikes against DJ.

6 weeks NFL suspension for drugs.

DUI conviction, Not going to beat this one.. Maybe even jail time.

possible NFL suspesion for the DUI.

DJ rule by many teams about Ipad stupidity

$5,000,000,00 salary cap number

Dumber than a post as shown above..

BroncoBeavis
06-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Because he has zero value other than being a controversy, further embarrassment to Dove Valley.

If he was a super stud like his salary implies maybe weather the storm..

John did not draft Trevathan and almost clone of DJ becasue he thought that DJ was going to be long term..

Strikes against DJ.

6 weeks NFL suspension for drugs.

DUI conviction, Not going to beat this one.. Maybe even jail time.

possible NFL suspesion for the DUI.

DJ rule by many teams about Ipad stupidity

$5,000,000,00 salary cap number

Dumber than a post as shown above..

You may be right. But there's no point cutting a player who you think might have no more value when you can just as easily wait until you're sure he doesn't.

lonestar
06-26-2012, 05:05 PM
You may be right. But there's no point cutting a player who you think might have no more value when you can just as easily wait until you're sure he doesn't.

I guess you're not going to change you mind neither will I will have to agree to disagree.. ^5

Have great offseason..:thumbsup:

Requiem
06-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Odds on Trevathan amounting to anything more than a Wesley Woodyard type role player in the NFL: Slim.

R-Mac
06-26-2012, 06:42 PM

DJ has up till last two years not been able to buy a sack on a consistent basis..

3.5 sacks in 2009, 5.5 sacks in 2010, 5 sacks in 2011. I believe he started to get more involved in the pass rush after Shanahan was fired. Nolan and Dennis Allen probably installed more aggressive defenses with more variety of blitzes.

As for Mays one of the football ratings sites had really great sats and remarks on him.. So not so sure that agrument rings true..

If such site is Pro Football Focus, then it's a bunch of crap. That site is useless. For example, this is how they ranked DTs against the run:

DT A played 100 snaps against the run and made 30 tackles. Better % of run stops, better grade from PFF. This weak DT was constantly attacked by the RBs and his gap saw a lot of action, so had more opportunities to make a tackle despite many other bad plays.

DT B played 150 snaps against the run and made 20 tackles. The OC called plays to avoid this effective DT and the RB attacked other gaps. Lower % of run stops, worse grade from PFF.

An elite DT that forces the offense to run outside the OTs is a bad DT according to PFF. A lot of snaps against the run, very few tackles, low stop %. They don't even consider if the DT was filling his gap.

According to PFF, Marcus Thomas was a top 10 DT against the run last season, and he is currently unemployed.

BroncoMan4ever
06-26-2012, 07:38 PM

In physical stature WWIII is nowhere near DJ. In effort and physicality with which they play DJ is nowhere near WWIII. In everything else they are equal. DJ gets the job because of the outrageous contract he has and the fact that your 4th or 5th highest paid player cant ride pine.

DENVERDUI55
06-26-2012, 07:39 PM
lol get real dude DJ is a lot of things but, oft hurt is not one of them.

I'm not saying he is injury prone it is very common for a guy who misses all camps and a bunch of time to pull a muscle when he comes back.

lonestar
06-26-2012, 08:32 PM
In physical stature WWIII is nowhere near DJ. In effort and physicality with which they play DJ is nowhere near WWIII. In everything else they are equal. DJ gets the job because of the outrageous contract he has and the fact that your 4th or 5th highest paid player cant ride pine.

You have just about nailed it..

actually early last year he was the second highest paid guy then they gave Doom his contract.. Now he is 4 after manning..

What most of these "fans" do not get is when you pay someone that much money you should expect more than what DJ has given and that is not even counting his off the field FUBARS..

Cut the clown and move on let some rookie learn and get to his level of play by the end of the season..

razorwire77
06-26-2012, 08:54 PM

Rudy Ruettiger also gave a lot of effort and tried to play physically. The most gung ho guy on my high school team was 5'8 160 pounds. Much like WWIII, he also excelled at special teams, but wasn't starter material. In the NFL physical stature matters x 1000000. Woodyard may try to play more physical than D.J., but when it comes to lowering the hammer, physical stature, natural ability, and size and strength D.J. is hands down a better player.

Now if you want to argue that D.J. lacks instincts and the cerebral aspects of the game to be a great player, I agree. The argument isn't that D.J. is great, just that you don't want to get rid of the 2nd best LB on the team with no viable replacement. This is true even if can only play half the season because he's a dumb ass.

Missouribronc
06-26-2012, 08:56 PM

actually early last year he was the second highest paid guy then they gave Doom his contract.. Now he is 4 after manning..

What most of these "fans" do not get is when you pay someone that much money you should expect more than what DJ has given and that is not even counting his off the field FUBARS..

Cut the clown and move on let some rookie learn and get to his level of play by the end of the season..

He's paid to make tackles. Which he has done. Prolifically. Something the rest of the team hasn't done.

lonestar
06-26-2012, 09:07 PM
3.5 sacks in 2009, 5.5 sacks in 2010, 5 sacks in 2011. I believe he started to get more involved in the pass rush after Shanahan was fired. Nolan and Dennis Allen probably installed more aggressive defenses with more variety of blitzes.

If such site is Pro Football Focus, then it's a bunch of crap. That site is useless. For example, this is how they ranked DTs against the run:

Just maybe, after Tanahan was fired the new guys thought, Hey there is more to football than Offense let's make our Defense attack opposed to react to plays..

While I will not refute Marcus Thomas stuff..

What they said about Mays, was

Which Brings Us to the Run Stop % Ö

To fully appreciate the how many stops a defender has made, you need to once again look at how much theyíre on the field. Thatís what brought the Run Stop Percentage Signature Stat to life; that desire to measure how often defenders were responsible for offensive failures relative to how often they were on the field. Itís through this stat we see that the Denver Broncos may have scored themselves a bargain with the re-signing of Joe Mays, as their middle linebacker led the league with a stop percentage of 14.29%.

Rank Name Team Run Snaps Tackles Stops Stop %
1 Joe Mays DEN 322 58 46 14.29%
2 N Bowman SF 315 58 45 14.29%
3 Br Cushing HST 330 56 46 13.94%
4 Ray Lewis BLT 322 60 44 13.66%
5 Perry Riley WAS 207 30 26 12.56%

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/29/2011-run-stop-percentage-linebackers/

I just guessing that JDR our New DC who has had Defensive teams in the top ten for years and who played LB himself in the NFL, might know a tad more about Mays than you do..

I also guessing that the saints who we were in a bidding war for him might also know more than you do..

Now I was as surprised and EVERYONE when I saw the stats on him..

I'm guessing that NEW DC pushed real hard to resign him..

Mays
2011 DEN 16 12 75 64 11 0.0 -- 2 -- -- -- -- -- 0 --
DJ.
Woody
Miller

Anyway Since he was just signed to a fairly decent long-term contract I'm guess that John, John and Jack Know more about it than you do..

lonestar
06-26-2012, 09:12 PM
He's paid to make tackles. Which he has done. Prolifically. Something the rest of the team hasn't done.

Used to, this year well he will not be for perhaps 50% of the season maybe even longer if he gets jail time.. Which could happen since this is Strike two on DUI..

Not sure where to look it but guessing you could find it ..How many tackles did he make for a loss and how many of those "Prolific" were after the first down was made..

Frankly I can't remember how many stops at the LOS he has made because I do not think he has any..

But being a sports writer I'll bet that you know where to look.. Prove me wrong Mo.. If you do then you have bragging rights over DJ the FUBAR..

Requiem
06-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Great logic. You can't remember the stops he had at the LOS, so obviously they never happened. Glad our resident, "Don't know, but I think I do." artist chimed in for another quality assessment. Way to go lonestar!

"I don't remember if I took a **** the other day, so I probably didn't."

Jetmeck
06-26-2012, 10:22 PM

look for that last time you stupid **** we need someone as good as him or better BEFORE we think of getting rid of him. Just cause you don't like him who gives a ****..............you born last night or what ?

BroncoMan4ever
06-26-2012, 10:38 PM

yes he makes a lot of tackles after a ball carrier has picked up yardage. he runs guys down. how many stops does he make at the LOS or behind the LOS? how many plays does he blow up? he makes tackles but he doesn't make impact plays. in terms of what he contributes, Woodyard or a combination of Woodyard, Irving and Trevathan can do.

Trevathan's big selling point is he is a tackling machine. that is all anyone who defends DJ ever brings up that we will miss if we cut him. Woodyard makes tackles all over the field. i say we will be fine without him

lonestar
06-27-2012, 12:35 AM
look for that last time you stupid **** we need someone as good as him or better BEFORE we think of getting rid of him. Just cause you don't like him who gives a ****..............you born last night or what ?

WHY?

LBs are a dime a dozen..

loads of them out there looking for work that do not have his FUBARS attached to them..

Just because you have a liplock on his ass, who gives a crap..

Working for AA is a short timers job..

lonestar
06-27-2012, 12:40 AM
yes he makes a lot of tackles after a ball carrier has picked up yardage. he runs guys down. how many stops does he make at the LOS or behind the LOS? how many plays does he blow up? he makes tackles but he doesn't make impact plays. in terms of what he contributes, Woodyard or a combination of Woodyard, Irving and Trevathan can do.

Trevathan's big selling point is he is a tackling machine. that is all anyone who defends DJ ever brings up that we will miss if we cut him. Woodyard makes tackles all over the field. i say we will be fine without him

Asked those same questions earlier, wanna bet you do not get answers either?

There is little doubt in anyones logical mind that DJ will not be with the team in 13, unless he signs a very reduced contract and if the rookie shows ANY talent he may not make it past TC..

All anyone can respond with he makes tackles and he is the best we got.

but they forget he is gone next year, and frankly most of this year..
Why this is beyond logical thought for them is beyond me..

Baba Booey
06-27-2012, 07:00 AM
Just means this guy will finally get his shot to start and stick:

@WoodDro52: Happiest day of my life! Me and my brother bought my mom a new house! God is good!!

lonestar
06-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Just means this guy will finally get his shot to start and stick:

@WoodDro52: Happiest day of my life! Me and my brother bought my mom a new house! God is good!!

I'd guess he will see loads of snaps at least the first 8 games.. after that it may all be treviahian..

DarkHorse30
06-30-2012, 02:06 PM
DJ's off-field idiocy is the problem that the team is forced to address. His worth as a bronco is sinking. At what point does he EARN his way back on the team? All of the time you spend working him into the defense could blow up in your face WHEN he gets another DUI or something equally stupid. What is the point?

Saying he is better than Woodyard is not an arguement because he WILL get suspended again. Fool me twice, shame on me.

lonestar
06-30-2012, 06:36 PM
DJ's off-field idiocy is the problem that the team is forced to address. His worth as a bronco is sinking. At what point does he EARN his way back on the team? All of the time you spend working him into the defense could blow up in your face WHEN he gets another DUI or something equally stupid. What is the point?

Saying he is better than Woodyard is not an arguement because he WILL get suspended again. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I do not think anyone has ever stated WW was a better player..

What the theme I heard was there would not be that much drop off if any if DJ was gone..

But the real problem is two-fold..

On one hand you have fans that know stats and live by them think they are the end all of how much a player should be paid or resigned..

There are other players that lobbied for a player or became obsessed with them after seeing him play and can't see past not having said player on the team any longer..

they have staked the rep on him..

we have all seen this in cutlet, BM, Tony S, Tebow, to some lesser degree in other players that were replaced when Josh came to town..

fans in some cases by a jersey of a player because they love the guy and if he is threatened they attack any threat..

they are blind to the facts he needs to go because he is a cancer, no longer worth the money, a wife beater, a total head case, is declining in productivity
or in DJ's case a total moron lately..

Only a few fans do not have someone they have fallen in love with.. they are dispassionate of players and only look at the wins and how a player can help do that..