PDA

View Full Version : OT - UPDATE R.I.P This Just Tore Me Up

ghwk
06-21-2012, 11:49 AM
I know we can all find a bunch of these everyday and I'm not tryong to pop a bunch of threads like this but this one seemed especailly bittersweet to me.

Parents count your blessings and give your kids a hug. And a banana split.

http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/20/12323599-one-moms-wish-for-her-dying-son-banana-splits-for-dinner?lite

UPDATE:

Ryan Roberts, the 22-month-old boy who inspired thousands of "banana split parties" in his honor in recent weeks, died Sunday.

His mother, Diane Roberts, shared on her Facebook page that her son "fought as in typical Ryan fashion - he ignored our words telling him it was OK to go." She wrote:

“At approximately 12:10 while I held Ryan in my arms and daddy held him as well – surrounded by so many who loved him Ryan drew his last breath. He is without oxygen, medicine, tubes, wires, and HURT – he is at peace.”

Go in Peace....

Conklin
06-21-2012, 12:02 PM
great story

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-21-2012, 12:11 PM
I dislike and don't use Facebook, but its great to see it being used to spread love and unity.

Greatspirits
06-21-2012, 12:24 PM
As a father of four I just can't imagine going through something like that with a child. I've been having a extremely difficult time at work and a story like this puts all in perspective. God Bless Ryan and his family!

Beantown Bronco
06-21-2012, 12:26 PM
We're in the middle of an unusual June heat wave here with temps closing in on 100. Banana splits for dinner sounds pretty nice, actually. May have to surprise the little Beans with that one tonight.

ghwk
06-21-2012, 12:30 PM
As a father of four I just can't imagine going through something like that with a child. I've been having a extremely difficult time at work and a story like this puts all in perspective. God Bless Ryan and his family!

Yeah I have 2 and even though this is someone else it just wiped me out. Hope work gets better.

gunns
06-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Should have known better than to read that at work. I cannot fathom losing a child. But it is an upbeat story, something a grandma would do!

ant1999e
06-21-2012, 01:27 PM
I couldn't imagine having to deal with a dying child. It takes a strong person.

Bacchus
06-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Banana splits it is. Really it is a horrific story. Good people coping with a ****. It's always sad when babies die.

ludo21
06-21-2012, 03:04 PM
I am going to enjoy my little one every moment, that is for sure!

Kaylore
06-21-2012, 03:46 PM
It's amazing becoming a parent how much these stories touch you. I cared about them before, but I didn't realize you imagine your child being in every sad story you read about that happened to a child and think on how you would deal with it. It makes these types of things touch you quite a bit more.

ghwk
06-21-2012, 03:56 PM
It's amazing becoming a parent how much these stories touch you. I cared about them before, but I didn't realize you imagine your child being in every sad story you read about that happened to a child and think on how you would deal with it. It makes these types of things touch you quite a bit more.

This. Having my own kids changed my perspective on all this stuff and it all feels more personal now.

Of course maybe all that means is that I was character deficient before.

stopgap
06-22-2012, 01:30 AM

Yep. I was a pretty selfish individual (not douchey, just didn't have anyone to think about but myself) until my daughter. I will tear up as much as any female when reading these types of stories.

ghwk
07-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Bumping for those who are interested.

See the update in the first post.

Chris
07-09-2012, 04:57 PM
That sucks.

ghwk
07-09-2012, 05:15 PM
That sucks.

Inevitable, but yes.

Captain 'Dre
07-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Go now in peace, Ryan.

May the spirit of love surround you.

gunns
07-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I just heard it on the news. It's a freak of nature to bury your child. I don't know how or if I could cope with it. My heart goes out to the parents.

Durango
07-09-2012, 09:57 PM
It just isn't fair for children to experience such agony.

I'm taking the kids out for splits this week, and tell them the story of this child. Another reminder that we should always count our blessings and let the little things pass.

houghtam
07-10-2012, 06:57 AM
It just isn't fair for children to experience such agony.

I'm taking the kids out for splits this week, and tell them the story of this child. Another reminder that we should always count our blessings and let the little things pass.

I did so last week at my in-laws. It's a memory I'll have forever, but my child is only 3, so I doubt he will. Still, it made his day, and one day if he has kids, he'll know the joy of doing spontaneous and special for your kids, and how it creates a lasting memory.