PDA

View Full Version : Smart Watches?

DBroncos4life
06-20-2012, 09:00 PM
http://www.androidpit.com/Battle-of-the-Android-Watches-G-Shock-vs-MOTOACTV-vs-SmartWatch

Anyone own one?

cousinal11
06-20-2012, 09:07 PM
What the heck is this world coming to?

Cmac821
06-20-2012, 09:26 PM
No but now I want one

Mogulseeker
06-20-2012, 09:29 PM
If they can make those somewhat fashionable and a hell of a lot more classy, this could catch on.

DBroncos4life
06-20-2012, 09:32 PM
No but now I want one

I've wanted one for awhile now. I think they are pretty slick with the feature that allows you to see who is calling from your watch.

BroncoDoug
06-20-2012, 10:24 PM
It looks like my ipod nano, that you can get a wrist strap for

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-20-2012, 10:38 PM
I'll stick to Nixon watches.

Wes Mantooth
06-20-2012, 11:56 PM
I need GPS and heart rate. Android OS would be sweet. Probably another 5 years out or so for what I am looking for.

g6matty
06-21-2012, 12:17 AM
i want a iWatch lol

Mogulseeker
06-21-2012, 12:32 AM

Tag Heuer FTW.

I don't own one, but I will when I have all the monies.

Stuck in Cali
06-21-2012, 12:55 AM
My Dad got me a watch back in the late 80's that had a tv remote control in it. Would go to the local pizza parlor that all the raider fans went to and keep switching the channels on the big screen every time anything important happened.

Fun times!

Durango
06-21-2012, 01:46 AM
Tag Heuer FTW.

I don't own one, but I will when I have all the monies.

Have two of these, one a Formula 1 Chrono and the second a Link, both bought used. Absolutely staggeringly beautiful timepieces and, of course, they work flawlessly.

Bought a 15 year old Omega at an estate auction five years ago, but had to have it completely overhauled and re-calibrated. The watch cost me $1,500 and the cleaning/re-calibration/sapphire crystal/new band nearly 700 bucks, but it too is an amazing watch, that was about 55-hundred bucks new.

The electronic gadgetry? I want more functions that e-mail and Facebook, and from all I'm reading, it's on the way. Apple is going to introduce something fairly soon (12 months/ not sure). I'll wait for that.

canadianbroncosfan
06-21-2012, 03:46 AM

^

Got four of em

Jay3
06-21-2012, 05:54 AM
I'm getting a Pebble. I paid in on the Kickstarter and it should be coming soon.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android

Boobs McGee
06-21-2012, 07:16 AM
^

Got four of em

Bought my first one last Christmas ( 51-30, the polished steel), and I get compliments AT LEAST once a week. Big watch, but it fits my big wrist and is incredibly handsome.

Ray Finkle
06-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Have two of these, one a Formula 1 Chrono and the second a Link, both bought used. Absolutely staggeringly beautiful timepieces and, of course, they work flawlessly.

Bought a 15 year old Omega at an estate auction five years ago, but had to have it completely overhauled and re-calibrated. The watch cost me $1,500 and the cleaning/re-calibration/sapphire crystal/new band nearly 700 bucks, but it too is an amazing watch, that was about 55-hundred bucks new.

The electronic gadgetry? I want more functions that e-mail and Facebook, and from all I'm reading, it's on the way. Apple is going to introduce something fairly soon (12 months/ not sure). I'll wait for that.

I agree with you....I love my Tag....best watch hands down.

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-21-2012, 09:00 AM
^

Got four of em

Ya I'm addicted to them. Love the oversize look.

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Bought my first one last Christmas ( 51-30, the polished steel), and I get compliments AT LEAST once a week. Big watch, but it fits my big wrist and is incredibly handsome.

Right on. People always seem to ask what kind of watch it is. Catches the eye. A few can get pricey but nothing like the Rolex tag or bretling price tags

Chris
06-21-2012, 09:47 AM
I have one it's called a phone.

Beej
06-21-2012, 09:49 AM
No...no thanks. I'm not into time, man.

DBroncos4life
06-21-2012, 09:50 AM
I have one it's called a phone.

You wear your phone in you wrist?

Chris
06-21-2012, 10:01 AM
You wear your phone in you wrist?

No I just keep it in my pocket. Much less annoying.

EDIT: I will say that I've been curious about biometric feedback devices like FitBit and Nike+ for a while. If you can incorporate that into a watch, it's a bit more appealing to me. I still wouldn't buy one. I've been watch free for about five years.

Boobs McGee
06-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Right on. People always seem to ask what kind of watch it is. Catches the eye. A few can get pricey but nothing like the Rolex tag or bretling price tags

Yup,MUCH cheaper, and very classy. which four do you have?

Beantown Bronco
06-21-2012, 10:42 AM
I never understood the appeal of paying thousands of dollars for a watch.

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Yup,MUCH cheaper, and very classy. which four do you have?

I had a roommate who was sponsored by them and they would just Fed ex him promos all the time. Got a couple 51-30s. The ChronicleSS. And the rideSS(one of my favorite).

Not sure what I think of all the square faced ones though. Not used to them I guess

El Guapo
06-21-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm getting a Pebble. I paid in on the Kickstarter and it should be coming soon.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android

Awesome, I just pre-ordered one. :thumbs:

DBroncos4life
06-21-2012, 08:03 PM

Yeah I saw these on a TV show last month. I think they might be the better of the driod watches.

Cmac821
06-21-2012, 09:17 PM
The Pebble looks amazing, 7 day battery?

Jay3
06-21-2012, 09:22 PM
The Pebble looks amazing, 7 day battery?

Yes. It uses the new LCD technology that is akin to having an e-paper display, like a Kindle.

The part I like the most is their commitment to an open API, and an active market of third party apps. I think this one is likely to be the "hacker ethos" watch. I bet there's going to be all sorts of custom apps for it.

Wes Mantooth
06-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Yes. It uses the new LCD technology that is akin to having an e-paper display, like a Kindle.

The part I like the most is their commitment to an open API, and an active market of third party apps. I think this one is likely to be the "hacker ethos" watch. I bet there's going to be all sorts of custom apps for it.

way cool.

JJG
06-22-2012, 08:36 AM
I never understood the appeal of paying thousands of dollars for a watch.

Man bling? Status symbol?

I've never liked wearing watches, they bug me.

No1BroncoFan
06-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Looks like the "Nerd Watch" concept has gotten a new lease on life. ;D

Ben

chadta
06-23-2012, 05:53 AM
Man bling? Status symbol?

I've never liked wearing watches, they bug me.

I work with my hands, a watch isnt an option, my 6 dollar kmart watch on backwards works well tho if i ever do put it on, guess i would have to find it first.

I would buy an iWatch tho, if it means i can make calls without pulling my phone out of my pocket, plus with Siri i could get the voice of Kitt on it and pretend to talk to my car.

Mogulseeker
06-23-2012, 07:09 PM

So my grandmother got me a Movado for my MBA graduation. Apparently they use similar technology to the Tags. They're a little cheaper and simpler, but they're pretty classy IMO.

Durango
06-24-2012, 01:43 AM
So my grandmother got me a Movado for my MBA graduation. Apparently they use similar technology to the Tags. They're a little cheaper and simpler, but they're pretty classy IMO.

Movado has some great designs, especially chronographs and dress watches.

It's not a status thing in my world. No-one cares in the outfitting business.

People question why someone might buy these things, and one reason I did is they're an excellent investment. The depreciation on Tags, Omega and Movado are minimal, and they can often be re-sold for about 60-80% of their original value, but that assumes they're kept in excellent shape.

Great watch Mightysmurf. I'd like to buy one some day. The e-watches will eventually gain enough functionality where I'll have to buy one. Right now, they seem to be in their infancy, but the whole industry is blowing up right now, so I expect that to change in a hurry.