PDA

View Full Version : best mountain town in the summer?

JJG
06-19-2012, 09:53 AM
I've got a 5 yr anniversary coming up in July and we are looking to stay in the mountains somewhere. I grew up in the Springs, but now live in Idaho and my wife hasn't really seen that part of CO.

Of course there are the usual suspects, Aspen, Steamboat etc, but I wanted your thoughts.

Only a few criteria: Somewhere not crazy expensive, but still nice. $350+ per night is not in our budget. Would like to do some horseback riding, general sight seeing, and probably a little shopping and or other local attractions. We are looking at a 2-3 day mini getaway.

suggestions?

Boobs McGee
06-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Grand Lake.

You will LOVE it.

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Just has to be Colorado?

bronco militia
06-19-2012, 10:00 AM
vail and beaver creek is affordable this time of year.

JJG
06-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Just has to be Colorado?

Yes. Visiting my family in the Springs and leaving the kid with them for a few days.

Mountain Bronco
06-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Telluride is the best mountain town in CO hands down. Yes, it is expensive, but not so much if you don't hit it during a major festival or during the weekdays. There are still some inexpensive options (mountain side inn, Victorian Inn etc...) and mid week you can get great deals at places like the Peaks which is an awesome property.

The only downside I would point out is that is a 6 hour drive from the Springs, so that is tough. I would consider Crested Butte as it isn't nearly as far and is a great spot as well.

Smiling Assassin27
06-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Winter Park can be a pretty fun place.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Steamboat Springs is a great little town. World class lodging and restaurants, cool place to be, excellent bars, and tons of recreation activities, from biking and hiking to floating the mighty Yampa river.

My favorite summer activity there is floating the Yampa, getting out at Sunpies for lunch and a few cocktails, then riding the free shuttle bus back to the start and doing it all over again.

DomCasual
06-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Sundance? Park City?

Seriously, though - Colorado towns have Utah towns beat. I have to go with the Boobman. Park City is awesome.

Tombstone RJ
06-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Outside fo Colorado Spring? Meh, go with the old stand by: Breckenridge, she's a whore of a good time.

JJG
06-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Sundance? Park City?

Seriously, though - Colorado towns have Utah towns beat. I have to go with the Boobman. Park City is awesome.

We were in Park City last Sept. Had a great time, but it's a little far for this trip.

Kaylore
06-19-2012, 11:06 AM

A lot of the ski resort towns are gorgeous and very inexpensive. We went to vail and got a room a year ago. Here was our view.

Boobs McGee
06-19-2012, 11:27 AM
There's actually a REALLY nice deal right now at vail....hang on a sec and Ill see if it's still going

Boobs McGee
06-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Here ya go...two nights at Tivoli Lodge in Vail for $280!
http://www.livingsocial.com/escapes/375486-vail-village-lodge?msdc_id=858-denver-south

If you decide to check out Grand Lake, there are TONS of things to do...Boating, fishing, hiking up to Adam's Falls, concerts, great restaurants, horseback riding, guided tours, shopping...not to mention you're right at the bottom of one of the most beautiful drives in the country, Trail Ridge Pass that takes you over to Estes.

SureShot
06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Crested Butte. Gotta love the Elk Mountains. Plus Aspen is less than 2 hours away, two vacations in one.

http://www.itsaberglund.com/picture/img_3308_09_10-2.jpg?pictureId=13028495

Play2win
06-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Steamboat Springs is a great little town. World class lodging and restaurants, cool place to be, excellent bars, and tons of recreation activities, from biking and hiking to floating the mighty Yampa river.

My favorite summer activity there is floating the Yampa, getting out at Sunpies for lunch and a few cocktails, then riding the free shuttle bus back to the start and doing it all over again.

Sounds incredibly awesome!

signed, still stuck in florida ugh!~

Chris
06-19-2012, 01:29 PM

Don't say that I'd have to find a way to go. What is "affordable" anyway?

JJG
06-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Here ya go...two nights at Tivoli Lodge in Vail for $280!
http://www.livingsocial.com/escapes/375486-vail-village-lodge?msdc_id=858-denver-south

If you decide to check out Grand Lake, there are TONS of things to do...Boating, fishing, hiking up to Adam's Falls, concerts, great restaurants, horseback riding, guided tours, shopping...not to mention you're right at the bottom of one of the most beautiful drives in the country, Trail Ridge Pass that takes you over to Estes.

this looks promising. Thanks for the link!

Grand Lake sounds great also. Is there a bunch of smoke around?

Bacchus
06-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Hey cokksucker, have you ever been to deadwood?

http://www.deadwood.com/splash.cfm

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/6/2600207-The_Town_of_Deadwood_Deadwood.jpg

I went there a few years ago. Great historical stuff, mountains, gambling and if you go in August you can see all the motorcycles.

They have a couple of great Lakes close by if you like boating and trout fishing.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BL1GxMxh7Gg/TQk8HDqxaoI/AAAAAAAAAuU/syKcJTeFSd8/s1600/09-25+South+Dakota+%252877%2529.jpg

pricejj
06-19-2012, 02:54 PM
My wife and I went to Steamboat for a couple days the week after Christmas.

1. Saddleback Ranch - Horseback rides (they even have a cattle drive in the summer), innertube hill, and snowmobile rides (in the winter)
2. Strawberry Park Hot Springs - nice and rustic, with pools right next to the river (clothing optional after dark)
3. Forgot the name, but a restaurant where you cook your own steak and Texas toast right in town...lot's of good eats
4. They also have a rec center with heated pools (from the hot springs) and water slides.
5. Tons of hotels

Powderaddict
06-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Ouray is where I would go. Great mountain town, lots of stuff to do, fairly reasonable.

It's not as cool, but Palisade can be fun. Lots of wineries, they have a sweet little distillery in town, and the B & B's are reasonable. The fruits grown locally are usually pretty good as well.

Mogulseeker
06-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Depends on what your looking for.

Winter Park is great for extreme sports like mountain biking and rock climbing.

As for a romantic getaway in the wilderness but just enough entertainment and nice restaurants, I would third boobsmcgee and domcasual and say hit up Grand Lake.

If you do, get the Colorado river lemon trout at MTs, or the lingonberry elk medallions at Backstreet Steakhouse. There is also one of the better breweries in Colorado there downtown. I'd recommend the Wooly booger brown ale at Grand Lake brewery.

Rother8
06-19-2012, 03:14 PM
If you're looking for a sure shot, no doubter- go to Pueblo. BEA-utiful.
Great skiing!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-19-2012, 03:15 PM
My wife and I went to Steamboat for a couple days the week after Christmas.

1. Saddleback Ranch - Horseback rides (they even have a cattle drive in the summer), innertube hill, and snowmobile rides (in the winter)
2. Strawberry Park Hot Springs - nice and rustic, with pools right next to the river (clothing optional after dark)
3. Forgot the name, but a restaurant where you cook your own steak and Texas toast right in town...lot's of good eats
4. They also have a rec center with heated pools (from the hot springs) and water slides.
5. Tons of hotels

The name of the steakhouse is the 8th Street Steakhouse. Cook your own meat, really good sides, etc.

On the mountain: Paramount is a little pricey but has absolutely fantastic sandwiches and really unique takes on old favorites (like their fried chicken and waffles - yum)

Saketumi is a very, VERY solid sushi restaurant right next to the hill.

The Truffle Pig is also very good, at One Steamboat Place (a she she lah lah development at the base of the mountain). Awesome muscles and brunch, though I have heard they're not doing their epic weekend brunch anymore.

In town, try out Carl's (sports bar, but with gourmet takes on normal sports bar fare), the Ghost Ranch Saloon (excellent live music almost every weekend), Bella's wine bar (great atmosphere, go before dinner and have some cheese and meat and a glass of wine), and the Sweet Pea Market. If you want something down home, have a shrimp po boy at Sunpies. If you want upscale dining, Bistro CV is excellent.

And for something simple and surprisingly excellent, hit up Rex's. It's attached to the Holiday Inn, but do not let that fool you. They have excellent, excellent food. If they've still got the Jammin' Pork on the menu, you've got to have it once. Outstanding.

JJG
06-19-2012, 03:18 PM
If you're looking for a sure shot, no doubter- go to Pueblo. BEA-utiful.
Great skiing!

umm no thanks:rofl:

Boobs McGee
06-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Depends on what your looking for.

Winter Park is great for extreme sports like mountain biking and rock climbing.

As for a romantic getaway in the wilderness but just enough entertainment and nice restaurants, I would third boobsmcgee and domcasual and say hit up Grand Lake.

If you do, get the Colorado river lemon trout at MTs, or the lingonberry elk medallions at Backstreet Steakhouse. There is also one of the better breweries in Colorado there downtown. I'd recommend the Wooly booger brown ale at Grand Lake brewery.

Great ideas...Daven Haven has incredible steaks! AND, they just bought the Lariat Saloon (which is now open again). I'd go with the Plaid Bastard over the Wooly Booger ;D

ALSO, if you do decide to go the Fraser Valley Route (Winter Park, Grand Lake, etc), there are some wonderful hot springs in the area. Hot Sulphur Springs resort....GREAT place.

As far as the smoke goes...I'm really not too sure. Haven't been up this year yet. Smurf could probly tell you though!

View from the lodge's front porch:
http://www.winterparklodgingcompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Grand-Lake-Lodge.jpg

Mogulseeker
06-19-2012, 03:51 PM
I was up there one day and I hit up Mary Jane for the day. When I got back I foud out that my dad went to Hot Sulfur Springs without me. I was pissed.

Boobs, did you know that Carolines was bought out by Grand Lake Brewery?

It's always nice to have a place with great beer that is walking distance from where I live (at least half the time), lol.

Miss I.
06-19-2012, 03:53 PM
A lot of the ski resort towns are gorgeous and very inexpensive. We went to vail and got a room a year ago. Here was our view.

WTH?! that's not where you took me on our special 4th family holiday. You told me this was the place you took all of the wives....

http://www.super8.com/common/images/branded/SE/images/03046_b1.jpg

http://i0.bookcdn.com/data/Photos/LargePhoto2/57/5728/5728974/Super-8-Motel---Trinidad-photos-Room.JPEG

you also said the stains on the bed spread were normal...Khan?!

Boobs McGee
06-19-2012, 04:04 PM
I was up there one day and I hit up Mary Jane for the day. When I got back I foud out that my dad went to Hot Sulfur Springs without me. I was pissed.

Boobs, did you know that Carolines was bought out by Grand Lake Brewery?

It's always nice to have a place with great beer that is walking distance from where I live (at least half the time), lol.

Did NOT know that! We actually built a house behind Soda Springs back in the day...once you get past the condos, that entire meadow on the right was ours, and then it carried across up onto the hill!!! I actually knew Jean-Claude and Caroline really well, we used to eat there all the time (their escargo and petite steak diane were INCREDIBLE), and I worked for them haha.

So, is Eric still the brewmaster for GLB? Did they move their entire operation to Caroline's, or do they still have it next to Grumpy's??

orange crusher
06-19-2012, 04:21 PM
WTH?! that's not where you took me on our special 4th family holiday. You told me this was the place you took all of the wives....

http://www.super8.com/common/images/branded/SE/images/03046_b1.jpg

http://i0.bookcdn.com/data/Photos/LargePhoto2/57/5728/5728974/Super-8-Motel---Trinidad-photos-Room.JPEG

you also said the stains on the bed spread were normal...Khan?!

Maybe it wasn't a wives thing. Maybe it was a Kuper thing.

Miss I.
06-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Maybe it wasn't a wives thing. Maybe it was a Kuper thing.

that does explain why he yells out 73 a lot. I used to try to correct him and say no, dear it's 69, but now I understand. ;D

Que
06-19-2012, 05:05 PM
+1 on Crested Butte. But I am baised. Heh. Have to give Ouray the nod as well. The hotsprings at the Weisbaden rock. Day trips to Silverton and Telluride to be had.

Next would be Aspen. Have to give the thumbs down to WP or anything up that way along with the I70 stuff. Dead trees and manufactured community.

Last thing I will toss out is Redstone. Not really a town per se but darn pretty.

What do you like to do anyhow?

Mountain Bronco
06-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Have to give the thumbs down to WP or anything up that way along with the I70 stuff. Dead trees and manufactured community.

I have to agree. Do your selves some favors and get out of the I70 corridor.

ludo21
06-20-2012, 09:14 AM
The town before Wolf Creek is great with hot spings and hotels galore!

Powderaddict
06-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Bah, maybe it's because I work nearby, but I find Aspen to be completely overrated.