PDA

View Full Version : Elway role models: Dad, Ozzie Newsome and Ted Thompson

RunSilentRunDeep
06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Three pretty good guys for Elway to pattern himself after (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/broncos/story/2012-06-14/john-elway-peyton-manning/55592514/1).

Kaylore
06-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Denver's eight rookies that saw playing time on offense or defense combined to play in 44.9% of the Broncos' plays, ranking the group second in the league behind the Cincinnati Bengals. Elway's 2011 rookie haul also included starting right tackle Orlando Franklin and safeties Quinton Carter and Rahim Moore.

That's true but isn't indicative of how well they played.

1 2 Von Miller OLB Texas A&M
2a 45 Rahim Moore FS UCLA
2b 46 Orlando Franklin OT Miami
3 67 Nate Irving ILB North Carolina State
4a 108 Quinton Carter SS Oklahoma
4b 129 Julius Thomas TE Portland State
6 189 Micheal Mohamed ILB California
7a 204 Virgil Green TE Nevada
7b 247 Jeremy Beal DE Oklahoma

Moore was terrible last season. Franklin was average. Irving never really played. Carter was decent. Thomas, Mohamed, Grean and Beal did little.

I suppose if Harris, Fannin and Siliga develop well then they get some really good props but I think the jury is still out on this class.

R-Mac
06-14-2012, 11:02 AM
"I would love to be able to put the people on the field around Peyton to give him that opportunity.''

That's not what I saw in the 2012 draft.

Lestat
06-14-2012, 11:12 AM

Moore was terrible last season. Franklin was average. Irving never really played. Carter was decent. Thomas, Mohamed, Grean and Beal did little.

I suppose if Harris, Fannin and Siliga develop well then they get some really good props but I think the jury is still out on this class.

that's true but it also shows that the roster was piss poor when he took over and the idea that rookies got big PT carries over into developing them for the future.

"We had to turn that around from the previous regime, because there weren't a lot of guys excited about football.''

this quote right here stuck out to be, big time. not shocking but changing the culture was crucial for the Broncos to get better.

Dexter
06-14-2012, 11:23 AM
"I would love to be able to put the people on the field around Peyton to give him that opportunity.''

Not sure how you can really judge that considering the season hasn't even started.

Ronnie Hillman, Philip Blake, Andre Caldwell, Joel Dreesen, Jacob Tamme, Ryan Harris, Brandon Stokley are all off-season acquisitions that could help Manning on the offensive side of the ball.

Getting defensive players is something that should help him also.

Give the 2012 FA/Draft class a chance before you say Elway hasn't done anything.:wave:

R-Mac
06-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Not sure how you can really judge that considering the season hasn't even started.

Ronnie Hillman, Philip Blake, Andre Caldwell, Joel Dreesen, Jacob Tamme, Ryan Harris, Brandon Stokley are all off-season acquisitions that could help Manning on the offensive side of the ball.

Getting defensive players is something that should help him also.

Give the 2012 FA/Draft class a chance before you say Elway hasn't done anything.:wave:

Andre Caldwell, Joel Dreesen, Jacob Tamme, Ryan Harris and Brandon Stokley are not part of the 2012 draft...

2012 draft = Trade down, trade down again ... Draft a backup QB at #57 (put the people on the field around Peyton to give him that opportunity?) and then a tiny, situational RB that won't do much besides fumbling the ball.

On the other hand, the Super Bowl Champions put David Wilson and Rueben Randle around Eli Manning. That's the difference.

Mile High Salute
06-14-2012, 12:46 PM

Osweiler in the Wildcat!! :giggle:

IHaveALight
06-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Osweiler in the Wildcat!! :giggle:

Strictly fullback. We can't be having him throw the ball.

Dexter
06-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Andre Caldwell, Joel Dreesen, Jacob Tamme, Ryan Harris and Brandon Stokley are not part of the 2012 draft...

2012 draft = Trade down, trade down again ... Draft a backup QB at #57 (put the people on the field around Peyton to give him that opportunity?) and then a tiny, situational RB that won't do much besides fumbling the ball.

On the other hand, the Super Bowl Champions put David Wilson and Rueben Randle around Eli Manning. That's the difference.

Yes, but we had defensive needs we tried to cover in the draft. I'm not sure why you think that WR is a big time priority when we have young talent at that position.

I was merely pointing out that we did put some talent around him VIA FA. Which if you want to surround Peyton with talent considering he's what? 36? You're not going to want to wait on rookies anyway, RB maybe being the exception.

I can see the argument some people make against Osweiler, but the rest of the draft picks were just fine imo.

Tamme, Dreesen, Caldwell, Stokley were all good pickups, along with Hillman, and maybe a younger WR that develops this year. Mark Dell, Eric Page, Gerell Robinson?

We didn't do nothing this off season if that's what you're implying. Oh and we don't exactly have the defensive depth the Superbowl Champs have to blow all of our draft picks on offense.

rugbythug
06-14-2012, 06:51 PM

Any Class that has Von Miller in it is a good class.