PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Middle Pressure

Dos Rios
06-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Interesting article on the diminished importance of LT and edge rushing compared to pressure up the middle in the age of quick passing attacks.

Resonates with discussions of Clady's future, the continued problems of Hamilton/Weigman through Beadles/Walton, and the Bronco's interest in Wolfe despite great edge rushers and despite higher ranked run stuffing DTs.

Sorry, linking skills suck:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--left-tackle-in-the-nfl-is-gradually-become-a-less-valued-position.html

Houshyamama
06-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Came here to post this, interesting read.

broncosteven
06-13-2012, 06:43 PM
They were talking about this on the Score here in Chicago. I still would rather have a great LT than having to rely on the QB to dink and dunk.

LT's are still relevant in Offenses where they throw deeper routes, i.e. Mike Martz's tenure with duh bears.

I think it is the offensive philosphy that dictates the importance of the players.

Clady is a stud and should not be traded for anyone.

DENVERDUI55
06-13-2012, 06:54 PM
While a LT is important I think what is overlooked is any OL is only as good as the weakest link.

rugbythug
06-13-2012, 07:28 PM
He gave Zimmerman an extra super bowl that was nice of him.

cutthemdown
06-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Without outside pressure teams will go deep on you. The reason team going quick shorter passing is because outside pressure kills the QB. Harder to get big plays. If team afraid to go deep on us we already won a battle. Having players that can get pressure is just huge, be it inside or outside.

Jay3
06-13-2012, 07:46 PM
The "middle pressure" is the source of my most doom and gloom feelings about the Broncos this year. We're going to see how Walton and Beadles hold up when there's a quarterback back there that CANNOT be stopped any other way than to get to him, and who gets rid of the ball quick (hard to do when the rush is right in front of you, because you can't step up), and is also immobile.

They're going to bring the house straight up the middle against Peyton. And I have no confidence in Walton or Beadles, plus very little confidence in Franklin's quickness against a speed rush. Combined with the sense that Clady is more just "average" than awesome, it feels like Peyton is going to be beef jerkey back there.

I do have a man crush on Kuper, though. I've come to believe that, if healthy, he's one of the best in the NFL at his position.

cutthemdown
06-13-2012, 07:52 PM
The "middle pressure" is the source of my most doom and gloom feelings about the Broncos this year. We're going to see how Walton and Beadles hold up when there's a quarterback back there that CANNOT be stopped any other way than to get to him, and who gets rid of the ball quick (hard to do when the rush is right in front of you, because you can't step up), and is also immobile.

They're going to bring the house straight up the middle against Peyton. And I have no confidence in Walton or Beadles, plus very little confidence in Franklin's quickness against a speed rush. Combined with the sense that Clady is more just "average" than awesome, it feels like Peyton is going to be beef jerkey back there.

I do have a man crush on Kuper, though. I've come to believe that, if healthy, he's one of the best in the NFL at his position.

Beadles won't be starting IMO.

Shananahan
06-13-2012, 07:54 PM
The "middle pressure" is the source of my most doom and gloom feelings about the Broncos this year.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/03/27/sports/football/27tebow-sub/27tebow-sub-blog480.jpg

Bronco Rob
06-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jay3
The "middle pressure" is the source of my most doom and gloom feelings about the Broncos this year.

In a perfect world

Harris stays healthy.

Kuper comes back at a 100%

Franklin slides to left guard

And Blake pushes Walton for playing time.

:thumbs:

Jay3
06-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Beadles won't be starting IMO.

Probably right.

Jay3
06-14-2012, 06:26 PM
In a perfect world

Harris stays healthy.

This is a best case scenario.

broncosteven
06-14-2012, 06:27 PM
In a perfect world

Harris stays healthy.

This would be ideal

DENVERDUI55
06-14-2012, 06:39 PM
In a perfect world

Harris stays healthy.

I have a hard time with this.

Bronco Rob
06-15-2012, 11:41 AM
I have a hard time with this.

Notice, I prefaced that comment with 'in a perfect world'.

Jetmeck
06-15-2012, 06:29 PM
have some small doubts bout the o-line holding up but I have the greatest confidence we have one of the best on field O coordinator that would be able to make adjustments.................

Bacchus
06-15-2012, 07:17 PM
have some small doubts bout the o-line holding up but I have the greatest confidence we have one of the best on field O coordinator that would be able to make adjustments.................

I'm not nearly as worried about the Oline as some people. They are young and it will be the same line as last year. Continuity in an offensive line is important. With them getting last year's experience and then keeping the line intact I look for great improvements this year.

Last year Tebow was very reluctant to throw the ball, loved to scramble and defenses were stacking the line to stop the run. All that has changed. I think everyone is going to be impressed by this unit this year.