PDA

View Full Version : New Doping Charges For Armstrong

bombay
06-13-2012, 03:10 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/story/2012-06-13/lance-armstrong-faces-doping-charges/55582394/1

ruh-roh

StugotsIII
06-13-2012, 03:19 PM
That sport is a total train wreck...

OrangeSe7en
06-13-2012, 03:21 PM
It sounds like some bureaucrat is just trying to make a name for him/herself. Seriously, if the feds couldn't get him, then why would these guys think they have something? The only caveat I can think of, however, is if there's a possibility that these guys have less to prove than the feds do in court.

ghwk
06-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Really, time to let it go.

Kaylore
06-13-2012, 03:30 PM

This.

Wes Mantooth
06-13-2012, 05:28 PM
500 clean teats.
no real proof.
allegations come after closure of federal investigation.
the only thing accomplishes is it keep him from being a triathlete

broncosteven
06-13-2012, 05:42 PM

I enjoy watching the Tour de France every year, I never paid attention before Lance retired but I got hooked watching the coverage and seeing the old chataues(?) by helicopter.

I think it would be better for cycling if they would just drop Lance, they had allegations last year around this time and nothing came of that.

Focus on the good young riders they have and grow the sport that way rather than try to alienate what US fans there are.

delany
06-13-2012, 05:46 PM
They should just allow any doping you want to do.

Eliminate the compliance headaches, legal fees, overhead etc....and let the best drugged athelete win.

Shananahan
06-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah, but don't just stop at doping. Let them do all kinds of drugs while they race. Make it mandatory.

Cycling would instantly become 1000x more appealing to viewers.

DENVERDUI55
06-13-2012, 06:42 PM
500 clean teats.
no real proof.
allegations come after closure of federal investigation.
the only thing accomplishes is it keep him from being a triathlete

He can still do Tri's. That is what he started in. He hasn't failed a test yet or been convicted.

Chris
06-13-2012, 08:48 PM
He can still do Tri's. That is what he started in. He hasn't failed a test yet or been convicted.

He's been banned from tris as of this news.

extralife
06-13-2012, 10:12 PM
his best friends even accused him of doping. it happened, guys.

fun thought-experiment: why is barry bonds guilty without being caught, whereas not-being-caught is the boilerplate response to accusations against lance armstrong? I don't even think race is the answer to that question--or at least not the primary answer.

ol#7
06-14-2012, 02:28 AM

fun thought-experiment: why is barry bonds guilty without being caught, whereas not-being-caught is the boilerplate response to accusations against lance armstrong? I don't even think race is the answer to that question--or at least not the primary answer.

Jesus you are stupid. He admitted to using the Cream and the Clear, which was a Steroid. Thats why.

Kaylore
06-14-2012, 07:18 AM

Um, no.

Did you even read the letter? The bulk of their argument is apparently from "witnesses". I find it hard to believe so many cyclists that cheated have been caught EXCEPT Lance Armstrong, who is tested more times than all of them combined. Is he just the most clever person in the world in addition to being one of the greatest athletes?

Vegas_Bronco
06-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Um, no.

Did you even read the letter? The bulk of their argument is apparently from "witnesses". I find it hard to believe so many cyclists that cheated have been caught EXCEPT Lance Armstrong, who is tested more times than all of them combined. Is he just the most clever person in the world in addition to being one of the greatest athletes?

And most wealthy...$$$ is always available.

Stagger Lee
06-14-2012, 07:55 AM

100%. Why the hell does anybody care anymore?

Rabb
06-14-2012, 08:06 AM
100%. Why the hell does anybody care anymore?

misery loves company

maher_tyler
06-14-2012, 08:52 AM

Sounds like every sport outside of hockey honestly...

maher_tyler
06-14-2012, 08:54 AM
I enjoy watching the Tour de France every year, I never paid attention before Lance retired but I got hooked watching the coverage and seeing the old chataues(?) by helicopter.

I think it would be better for cycling if they would just drop Lance, they had allegations last year around this time and nothing came of that.

Focus on the good young riders they have and grow the sport that way rather than try to alienate what US fans there are.

The only thing fun about watching cycling is when one guy bumps into another causing a massive crash of like 20+ other cyclists...

gyldenlove
06-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Um, no.

Several previous winners on the Tour were never caught but later admitted to using doping. Jan Ulrich was never caught, Bjarne Riis was never caught, Ivan Basso was never caught. They all admitted to using doping despite never failing a single test. The entire Festina team, they weren't tested positive despite the entire team being doped up for years.

The best riders with the biggest results and the best doctors do not get caught, they know how to get around the system and it has been proven by so many top riders who pass 100s of tests. Not failing a test just means you were a good cheater.

There is so much evidence that you can use doping for years, even a guy like Tyler Hamilton used it for years without testing positive.

Beantown Bronco
06-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Several previous winners on the Tour were never caught but later admitted to using doping. Jan Ulrich was never caught, Bjarne Riis was never caught, Ivan Basso was never caught. They all admitted to using doping despite never failing a single test. The entire Festina team, they weren't tested positive despite the entire team being doped up for years.

The best riders with the biggest results and the best doctors do not get caught, they know how to get around the system and it has been proven by so many top riders who pass 100s of tests. Not failing a test just means you were a good cheater.

There is so much evidence that you can use doping for years, even a guy like Tyler Hamilton used it for years without testing positive.

This goes for all sports IMO. Not just riding.

Kaylore
06-14-2012, 10:40 AM

And?

ghwk
06-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Honestly I think it is likely he doped but the French investigated for what, like 5 years and still couldn't definitively prove it. Like OJ he has been acquitted, and by the French no less who hate his cycling guts. Just time to move on at this point.

The tour hasn't been interesting since he left IMO.

broncosteven
06-14-2012, 10:55 AM
The only thing fun about watching cycling is when one guy bumps into another causing a massive crash of like 20+ other cyclists...

That is a big draw, it is one of the 2 big reasons I watch NASCAR now and then, the other is because there is nothing else on in the Winter on Sundays.

The offical's car that ran into guys was also interesting to see because it changed the outcome of the race. Contador would have won had he not been caught in that early crash.

I LOVE watching the Mountian stages and think that the team Verses sends to cover the race does a great job explaining it all. I think time trials are like watching paint dry and the last day is also a snooze fest until the last couple laps around Paris and the podium.

Le Tour de France is more about endurance than a race per se. if you can stay with the peleton and keep your time within the top 5 you have a good chance to win.

BroncoLifer
06-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Here's another thought experiment:

The other riders (Ulrich, etc) who were on the juice were operating at above 100% of their natural ability. And we now know that virtually all of them were juicing. So if you believe Lance was clean then you believe that his totally natural, non-PED ability was enough to beat out the artifically-fueled, unnaturally fast rest of the world, 7 Tours in a row.

Sure, that's theoretically possible, but what does your brain tell you is the more likely explanation?

Beantown Bronco
06-14-2012, 11:44 AM

The other riders (Ulrich, etc) who were on the juice were operating at above 100% of their natural ability. And we now know that virtually all of them were juicing. So if you believe Lance was clean then you believe that his totally natural, non-PED ability was enough to beat out the artifically-fueled, unnaturally fast rest of the world, 7 Tours in a row.

Sure, that's theoretically possible, but what does your brain tell you is the more likely explanation?

Hmmmm, where have I seen this before.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b6w4XtsfyVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lestat
06-14-2012, 12:33 PM
this is pretty dumb to continue when the feds and others couldn't tie him to anything.
as much as people may want to insist that he wasn't clean he's passed every test and only people who were jealous teammates or competitors have came out with anything on him being a doper and still they have no real proof.

Bacchus
06-14-2012, 12:34 PM
At this point DOES ANYONE CARE????

Lestat
06-14-2012, 12:39 PM

while it isn't likely there are some who're just straight up better and more naturally gifted than others and when combined with a sick work ethic you cannot top until father time drags them down.

Michael Jordan,Bo Jackson,Jim Brown were straight up freaks who i could honestly believe were not on the stuff. i could even potentially go there with Deion Sanders.

Cycling as a sport is known for doping much like baseball is known for cheating(spit balls,throwing games,steroids and etc in it's past and present)

Cmac821
06-14-2012, 12:41 PM

I can't imagine to many people are dwelling on it, how long ago was his last win?

El Minion
06-14-2012, 01:27 PM
while it isn't likely there are some who're just straight up better and more naturally gifted than others and when combined with a sick work ethic you cannot top until father time drags them down.

Michael Jordan,Bo Jackson,Jim Brown were straight up freaks who i could honestly believe were not on the stuff. i could even potentially go there with Deion Sanders.

Cycling as a sport is known for doping much like baseball is known for cheating(spit balls,throwing games,steroids and etc in it's past and present)

Some great athletes also may not look the part as being great in their sport:

http://producerposts.com/.a/6a01156f4ae097970b0120a572f14c970b-pi

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/classic_nfl/09/10/seahawks/seahawks.jpg

http://i.acdn.us/image/A4294/429496/300_429496.jpg

Kaylore
06-14-2012, 01:32 PM

The French. They're so lame.

Tombstone RJ
06-14-2012, 02:30 PM
And?

I guess only the idiots get caught then?

broncosteven
06-14-2012, 02:35 PM

They are very jealous because an American came to their turf and dominated, plus he was a bit of a high strung dick and rubbed them all the wrong way.

Tombstone RJ
06-14-2012, 02:36 PM

Yep, the French wanted to disqualify Armstrong for a long time but never had any evidence he was cheating. As others have mentioned they tested him all the time and he passed the test every time.

Armstrong had great teams around him that certainly helped him win. If Armstrong was cheating he must have had a bunch of help because you don't win 7 TdeF races and cheat without a whole lot of help. Like I said, he had great teams too, so were they all cheating together?

broncosteven
06-14-2012, 02:37 PM

I am sure he tried things that weren't on the banned list or new stuff but I think it was just his insane drive to be the best and natural ability and supernatural endurance that won him those tours.

DENVERDUI55
06-14-2012, 04:14 PM
He's been banned from tris as of this news.Just the Ironman France. He can still do them somewhere else though.

cutthemdown
06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
I think the organization that runs ironmans says no competing for him while the investigation is ongoing. Sort of BS because if they haven't caught him by now, they should amdit defeat.

gyldenlove
06-14-2012, 06:28 PM
And?

You implied in your previous post that Armstrong was either innocent or the smartest man in the world because he never tested positive and others did.

I simply pointed out that many others who are known to have used PEDs for extended periods of time never tested positive or in some cases didn't test positive for years.

DENVERDUI55
06-14-2012, 06:36 PM
I think the organization that runs ironmans says no competing for him while the investigation is ongoing. Sort of BS because if they haven't caught him by now, they should amdit defeat.

Yes he is banned from WTC sanctioned events but he isn't from USA tri sanctioned events.