PDA

View Full Version : Sixth round pick Danny Trevathan is running with the first team nickle

Kaylore
06-13-2012, 08:37 AM
http://prod.www.broncos.clubs.nfl.com/multimedia/video-browser/press-conferences.html

Per John Fox's comments, Danny Travathan has "really thrown himself" into learning the system. Mind you when the pads come on in camp this could, and probably will change. He has issues shedding blockers and his small size won't help at the NFL level.

It's nice to see one of the lower picks make some progress.

socalorado
06-13-2012, 09:00 AM
http://prod.www.broncos.clubs.nfl.com/multimedia/video-browser/press-conferences.html

Per John Fox's comments, Danny Travathan has "really thrown himself" into learning the system. Mind you when the pads come on in camp this could, and probably will change. He has issues shedding blockers and his small size won't help at the NFL level.

Fox is an excellent LB coach, and i think he has a good eye for talent there.
Hopefully Danny and Irving will pan out.

BroncoBen
06-13-2012, 09:19 AM

That is my concern that his small size is going to be exploited in the NFL. I think he will contribute on special teams for a few years, but never turn into a starter.

Drek
06-13-2012, 09:26 AM
He's 6'0", 237 pounds. Not like the guy is Ian Gold (6'0", 223).

Doesn't surprise me that he's running with the nickel. Our LBs suck in coverage.

Bmore Manning
06-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Not only is he nearly 240, but he is still a kid, with plenty of potential to grow, especially with professional strength and conditioning coaches and a team nutritionist.

Kaylore
06-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Have any of you watched him play? This is Trevathan shedding blocks:

http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/pushing-boulder.jpg

lolcopter
06-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Why would shedding blocks be of huge importance in what is primarily a pass defense formation

Kaylore
06-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Why would shedding blocks be of huge importance in what is primarily a pass defense formation

Good point. No one ever runs or throws screens out of a pass formation.

razorwire77
06-13-2012, 10:01 AM
I think the Mane has its first low round man crush superstar of the new year.

Cosmo
06-13-2012, 10:02 AM
He's 6'0", 237 pounds. Not like the guy is Ian Gold (6'0", 223).

Doesn't surprise me that he's running with the nickel. Our LBs suck in coverage.

He's listed at 6'1" everywhere I look, not that 1 inch is a world of difference.

DBroncos4life
06-13-2012, 10:03 AM

Well I think the Mane just welcomes the thought of an LB capable of covering something other then his body with tattoos.

CEH
06-13-2012, 10:07 AM
And how big is the MLBer in Carolina? About the same size

lolcopter
06-13-2012, 10:10 AM

icwudt

Bmore Manning
06-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Trevathan was incredible value where he was drafted. I would only have taken David or Bradham over him. He is a phenomenal player. I am equally as pleased with the Malik Jackson pick, but I think he will take more time to show, based on the players in front of him, and that he has to work on technique.

cutthemdown
06-13-2012, 10:25 AM

Being able to shed blocks and work through traffic important in football. Just because Broncos put you on the field in a pass situation doesn't mean it will be a pass.

DivineLegion
06-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Being able to shed blocks and work through traffic important in football. Just because Broncos put you on the field in a pass situation doesn't mean it will be a pass.

I don't think shedding blocks is his biggest problem ( watch his 13 tackle performance against Georgia), he's just not a good pass rusher. IMHO the two are very different techniques. One requires more lateral movement and anticipation, while the other envolves flexibility and power. Danny to me is a natural Sam linebacker. I have a feeling they asked DJ to start playing Sam again, and they are grooming Danny as his backup; all the while letting Von come from the weakside. Speculation here, but I don't think you can lead the SEC in tackles, and not be good at getting off blocks wen the line in front of you is mediocre compared to the O-line talent they were competing against.

Lestat
06-13-2012, 10:39 AM
doesn't surprise me, you could hear from the draft that they thought of him highly and felt his 40 time knocked him down stock wise is a lot of teams eyes.

i'm curious to see if he can help improve the coverage of our LB corps.
Irving,Trevathan,Johnson are interesting guys to watch in camp.

bronco militia
06-13-2012, 10:40 AM

yep...the broncos were mostly terrible when teams ran against their nickle defense in 2011

24champ
06-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Early favorite for the Todd Devoe Camp MVP award?

razorwire77
06-13-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm thinking even money right now.

g6matty
06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
how many blocks do you shed on a passing play.... this is NICKLE linebacker if we got a steal of a role player in the 6th round we should be happy.

Smiling Assassin27
06-13-2012, 11:01 AM

Never too early.

Sincerely,

Adrian Madise

g6matty
06-13-2012, 11:01 AM
also i wonder what this means for WWIII . is he the nickle middle line backer or off the feild completely

Lestat
06-13-2012, 11:02 AM
there is still blocking and you still pass rush on a passing play. shedding blocks matters on special teams,against the run and the pass.

mkporter
06-13-2012, 11:03 AM

Would be a bit of an upset. The award almost always goes to a WR/TE.

bronco militia
06-13-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm thinking even money right now.

I wouldn't bet against any of the new LB's on the roster this year. This unit needs a facelift.

Smiling Assassin27
06-13-2012, 11:04 AM
also i wonder what this means for WWIII . is he the nickle middle line backer or off the feild completely

move to safety? ;)

seriously, i'd be shocked if this guy beat out ww. probably a reserve and special teams ace to start?

pricejj
06-13-2012, 11:11 AM

If D.J. is suspended, both Wes and Trevathan will be Nickle LB'ers...Von will be planting QB's from the D Line.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-13-2012, 11:12 AM

Unless you're playing against McD-bag.

55CrushEm
06-13-2012, 11:15 AM
He's listed at 6'1" everywhere I look, not that 1 inch is a world of difference.

That's what she said.

Ba-da-bing!

razorwire77
06-13-2012, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't bet against any of the new LB's on the roster this year. This unit needs a facelift.

Not really sure I agree. If anything, I think we're a year or two away from needing upgrades at Will and Sam, depending on how things play out. Despite being a "lost rookie" Von went absolutely beast mode last year. My guess is he's a top 25 player in the league this year. The team needs to acquire or draft D.J.'s replacement in the next year or so, but he's still an athletic presence at Will. The team just needs to stop moving him around and scheme to take advantage of his straight line strength and speed. He's a reaction player that will never be all that cerebral of a player. I thought D.J. had a decent year last year. Joe Mays is what he is. I think he should be a goal line and short yardage thumper. I'm not ready to give up or Irving yet. Let's see what he brings in preseason games. WWIII and Danny Devoe will provide options as nickle LB's and special teams players.

bronco militia
06-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Not really sure I agree. If anything, I think we're a year or two away from needing upgrades at Will and Sam, depending on how things play out. Despite being a "lost rookie" Von went absolutely beast mode last year. My guess is he's a top 25 player in the league this year. The team needs to acquire or draft D.J.'s replacement in the next year or so, but he's still an athletic presence at Will. The team just needs to stop moving him around and scheme to take advantage of his straight line strength and speed. He's a reaction player that will never be all that cerebral of a player. I thought D.J. had a decent year last year. Joe Mays is what he is. I think he should be a goal line and short yardage thumper. I'm not ready to give up or Irving yet. Let's see what he brings in preseason games. WWIII and Danny Devoe will provide options as nickle LB's and special teams players.

Yeah, everyone except Von miller. this unit is void of playmakers.

gyldenlove
06-13-2012, 11:39 AM

We had major problems last year stopping the run game out of the nickel, hell Rob Gron-****ing-kowski scored a rushing a TD on us from that formation like he was Ladainian Tomlinson.

BroncoBeavis
06-13-2012, 12:50 PM

No one named Mike McCoy anyway.

BroncoBeavis
06-13-2012, 12:52 PM

There's a your wife or your mom joke in there somewhere. But I learned from my fictional-wife-smack alone time in the wilderness.

PS, sorry Crush... missed that you already hit that.

Drek
06-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Have any of you watched him play? This is Trevathan shedding blocks:

http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/pushing-boulder.jpg

Sure. But every later round pick has issues they need to overcome. Maybe Trevathan will, maybe he won't. If he can't he's a special teamer who washes out of the league in a few years. If he can he's got the potential to reach a pretty high ceiling (solid starter) for us at very low cost.

If now that he's at the NFL level he can develop the functional strength he lacked at Kentucky and learn better technique at shedding blockers we'll have a steal.

Hell, DJ Williams is in no way under sized and he can't shed blocks for a **** either.

Crushaholic
06-13-2012, 01:48 PM

Now, we just need a nickname. Playing off his last name, The Leviathan sounds good...:sunshine:

DENVERDUI55
06-13-2012, 06:05 PM
If he helps DJ hit the road go Danny! Beat out the drunk with stupid tats.

tsiguy96
06-13-2012, 06:13 PM
DMFT anyone?

cutthemdown
06-13-2012, 06:29 PM
I don't think shedding blocks is his biggest problem ( watch his 13 tackle performance against Georgia), he's just not a good pass rusher. IMHO the two are very different techniques. One requires more lateral movement and anticipation, while the other envolves flexibility and power. Danny to me is a natural Sam linebacker. I have a feeling they asked DJ to start playing Sam again, and they are grooming Danny as his backup; all the while letting Von come from the weakside. Speculation here, but I don't think you can lead the SEC in tackles, and not be good at getting off blocks wen the line in front of you is mediocre compared to the O-line talent they were competing against.

DJ's biggest weakness is he he operates once blocked, and in traffic. By comparison Romo when he played strong side loved to engage, get the guy off balance, then disrupt the play or make tackle. Al Wilson was the same way. He would physically blow his defender up, then use speed to make a play. So lots of players play without being great at shedding blocks. They get buy buy running around them, using good angles to beat blockers to the ball.

It would be nice if the kid plays well but I wouldn't hold your breath. Chances are Woodyard still better then him because he has experience. DJ, loads better then him etc etc. Still I wouldn't mind Miller switching to the weakside. It fits him a little better probably. But that would bring both our best pass rushers from same side.

broncosteven
06-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Never too early.

Sincerely,

Adrian Madise

I still have Madise's signature on one of my favorite bronco hats. It won't wash off.

Hulamau
06-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Not only is he nearly 240, but he is still a kid, with plenty of potential to grow, especially with professional strength and conditioning coaches and a team nutritionist.

Danny will be fine as a pro (Eric Page too in all likelihood), Fox has coached a number of skilled long term starters at LB in Carolina and elsewhere that were 240 and under and quick to the ball ....

At 6' 0" and 237lb, that is more concentrated strength and power than you'll find in a LB at say a 6'2" 240 to 242lbs for example and there are plenty of those around.

What he sacrifices in height he makes up for in side to side quickness and incredible tackling efficiency .. the kid just has a nose for the ball .. and from all reports is sharp as a tack. Could turn into a solid starter for us for years.

By next year he will be a solid 240 to 242 himself at 6 foot after a full offseason with our new strength staff and program, and that is more than sufficient a height to weight ratio to excel in this league at WLB. It's what is between his ears and in his heart that is the most significant stat on Danny and there he's got assets.

I'ts early, and we need some real injury luck this year, but Im definitely getting stoked about the prospects for this team when I look at how both the D and O are starting to come together with what seems to be a real common mission and focus in the locker room. Our secondary is gonna surprise a lot of people as will the D-line too.

May well be a special year brewing here with a lot of guys who few outside of Denver really know of about to become household names.

Kaylore
06-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Sure. But every later round pick has issues they need to overcome. Maybe Trevathan will, maybe he won't. If he can't he's a special teamer who washes out of the league in a few years. If he can he's got the potential to reach a pretty high ceiling (solid starter) for us at very low cost.

If now that he's at the NFL level he can develop the functional strength he lacked at Kentucky and learn better technique at shedding blockers we'll have a steal.

Hell, DJ Williams is in no way under sized and he can't shed blocks for a **** either.

My point wasn't to rip on Trevathan. I started the article to praise his progress. My point was that he is playing well right now with no contact, and when the real hitting starts, he might not stay with the first team.

Taco John
06-13-2012, 09:37 PM
In the running for the Wesley Duke Rookie of the Year award.

BroncoMan4ever
06-13-2012, 11:06 PM

i disagree. SAM is locked up for the next decade thanks to Von, but DJ at the WILL has been a mediocre never lived up to his athletic ability type of player and at the MIKE we definitely need an upgrade. I like Mays and the style of his play, but we need more speed there.

i feel outside of Von at the SAM, both the MIKE and WILL should be wide open competitions because our LBs have been a weak unit for years.

Bmore Manning
06-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Danny will be fine as a pro (Eric Page too in all likelihood), Fox has coached a number of skilled long term starters at LB in Carolina and elsewhere that were 240 and under and quick to the ball ....

At 6' 0" and 237lb, that is more concentrated strength and power than you'll find in a LB at say a 6'2" 240 to 242lbs for example and there are plenty of those around.

What he sacrifices in height he makes up for in side to side quickness and incredible tackling efficiency .. the kid just has a nose for the ball .. and from all reports is sharp as a tack. Could turn into a solid starter for us for years.

By next year he will be a solid 240 to 242 himself at 6 foot after a full offseason with our new strength staff and program, and that is more than sufficient a height to weight ratio to excel in this league at WLB. It's what is between his ears and in his heart that is the most significant stat on Danny and there he's got assets.

I'ts early, and we need some real injury luck this year, but Im definitely getting stoked about the prospects for this team when I look at how both the D and O are starting to come together with what seems to be a real common mission and focus in the locker room. Our secondary is gonna surprise a lot of people as will the D-line too.

May well be a special year brewing here with a lot of guys who few outside of Denver really know of about to become household names.

Very very well said. I have been a huge fan of Trevathan prior to the Draft. I knew he had starter abilities. I can see him really earning some time this season.

Vegas_Bronco
06-14-2012, 06:01 AM
I remember talking to a friend who helps with the draft board about this talented kid and how they wanted to use him in the nickel and ss in run formations...i posted the info in on the OMane and was responded with 'neverrrrrer happen'. Some of the kno it alls in here need to quit being so damn contrary its baseless and makes you look like an azzhole.

Bmore Manning
06-14-2012, 06:12 AM
I remember talking to a friend who helps with the draft board about this talented kid and how they wanted to use him in the nickel and ss in run formations...i posted the info in on the OMane and was responded with 'neverrrrrer happen'. Some of the kno it alls in here need to quit being so damn contrary its baseless and makes you look like an azzhole.

Maybe they were referring to him not playing safety.. Or did they mean he has no talent, never gonna draft him?

broncocalijohn
06-14-2012, 08:53 AM

When do we add "MF" to his middle name? Do we have to wait until training camp to make it official?

tsiguy96
06-14-2012, 09:16 AM
When do we add "MF" to his middle name? Do we have to wait until training camp to make it official?

DMFT anyone?
k

footstepsfrom#27
06-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Real TC isn't even here yet and the poor guy's already labeled that he can't shed blocks...strange for a guy who was a tackling machine in college. Nobody knows what any of these kids can do till preseason gets here...glad to see he's steppin' up early to learn the system.

razorwire77
06-16-2012, 12:58 PM
i disagree. SAM is locked up for the next decade thanks to Von, but DJ at the WILL has been a mediocre never lived up to his athletic ability type of player and at the MIKE we definitely need an upgrade. I like Mays and the style of his play, but we need more speed there.

i feel outside of Von at the SAM, both the MIKE and WILL should be wide open competitions because our LBs have been a weak unit for years.

My bad. I meant Mike and Will. Obviously, barring injury Von Miller should be a top 25 player in the NFL for a long time. Hopefully Irving will show something this year and get on the field at Mike. If not, I think you've gotta explore other options via draft of FA in 2013. At Will, D.J., is still the best option the team has. I think you play out the string with him this year and try to cut your losses and draft a replacement in 2013.

errand
06-16-2012, 02:04 PM

there have been a lot of undersized LB's that have excelled in the NFL if even for a few solid seasons like Ian Gold....who was solid if not spectacular, and of course Derrick Brooks who had a excellent career in Tampa Bay...

smaller guys generally do have trouble with bigger stronger guys blocking them, but they also generally have much more speed than the bigger LB's do...so you lose in some areas, gain in others....

oubronco
06-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Real TC isn't even here yet and the poor guy's already labeled that he can't shed blocks...strange for a guy who was a tackling machine in college. Nobody knows what any of these kids can do till preseason gets here...glad to see he's steppin' up early to learn the system.

Especially in the so called superior SEC Conference

errand
06-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Perhaps Fox sees a bit of Thomas Davis in Danny Trevathan?

Kaylore
06-16-2012, 04:07 PM
there have been a lot of undersized LB's that have excelled in the NFL if even for a few solid seasons like Ian Gold....who was solid if not spectacular, and of course Derrick Brooks who had a excellent career in Tampa Bay...

smaller guys generally do have trouble with bigger stronger guys blocking them, but they also generally have much more speed than the bigger LB's do...so you lose in some areas, gain in others....

I believe he ran a 4.84 40.

Kaylore
06-16-2012, 04:09 PM

This is a pretty stupid post. He had trouble shedding blocks in college. This isn't a "new thing." It's a fact. But you're right - when he gets to the pros when guys are bigger, stronger and faster, and smaller guys gave him problems, who's to say what can happen? The sky is the limit, logically thinking here... :thumbs:

DBroncos4life
06-16-2012, 04:30 PM
This is a pretty stupid post. He had trouble shedding blocks in college. This isn't a "new thing." It's a fact. But you're right - when he gets to the pros when guys are bigger, stronger and faster, and smaller guys gave him problems, who's to say what can happen? The sky is the limit, logically thinking here... :thumbs:
I'm hoping for the best with him as far as his coverage skills go. Passing on David still bothers me, but hopefully this guy makes up for it.

Heyneck
06-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Come on people! Fox and JDR know LB. I am sure whoever lines up on opening day earned his spot because of ability... and because he adds to the plans of a formidable defense.

Bacchus
06-16-2012, 09:09 PM
In the running for the Wesley Duke Rookie of the Year award.

To be fair knee injuries killed Duke's career. Unlike Madise and Devo who just never lived up to the hype.

cutthemdown
06-16-2012, 09:19 PM

I agree our secondary has a chance to be really good. I think Bailey still as good as ever. Porter a slight upgrade, to maybe a significant upgrade over Goodman depending on quick he transitions to Denver. Then I think Florence gives them some nice depth along with Harris. Adams gives us a dependable vet as SS and then we have two young players in Griffith and Moore who have a lot of athletic ability. I agree with our pass rush this secondary is going to grab some interceptions.

TonyR
08-13-2012, 05:56 AM
A good write up on Trevathan from last week's game.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/in-review-danny-trevathan-vs-the-bears

Agamemnon
08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Seeing as small, fast linebackers have been common at WLB for years, I really don't see what the issue is with his size, unless all a blocker needs to do is look at him to take him out of a play.

broncosteven
08-13-2012, 03:02 PM
A good write up on Trevathan from last week's game.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/in-review-danny-trevathan-vs-the-bears

If our 1st teamers execute like this all year we will have one dominant D.

It is encouraging to see guys executing the 1st week of PS

uplink
09-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Why is Trevathan not playing, he was a TE covering machine in the preseason. I just watched a couple of broncos games where the TEs did a lot of damage so it looks like he is needed. I am surprised, I thought he might even be the starter by now.