PDA

View Full Version : OT: Galaxy S III who's in?

Goobzilla
06-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Got a blue 32 GB on preorder from Sprint, finally ditching my OG EVO. Anyone else picking up this bad boy?

El Guapo
06-13-2012, 07:48 AM
I would definitely like to; I'm not due up to get a new device until November. I've got a Thunderbolt and maybe Verizon will rectify the shortcomings of this phone by allowing me an early upgrade!

LRtagger
06-13-2012, 07:49 AM
My wife has a thunderbolt too and hates it. Can't renew until August.

El Guapo
06-13-2012, 07:50 AM
I've almost become apathetic to the whole phone craze/situation. I use it to place calls, text and surf the web. It really does all of that well, it's just that the battery lasts about 4 hours. haha.

55CrushEm
06-13-2012, 07:56 AM
WTF. The Galaxy SII just came out for AT&T in October. Less than a year later, the SIII is out ?!?!

Jay3
06-13-2012, 08:25 AM
I got the Galaxy Nexus on launch day in December, so I'm good for now. I think my dad is going to get the SIII.

lolcopter
06-13-2012, 09:07 AM
WTF. The Galaxy SII just came out for AT&T in October. Less than a year later, the SIII is out ?!?!

This. **** Samsung, they don't support their phones at all and they would rather just push new hardware every other quarter

Sincerely,

Disgruntled former Samsung galaxy s 1 owner

lolcopter
06-13-2012, 09:12 AM
On the whole, the android scene is really annoying too because manufacturer's keep pushing new specs but the user experience changes very little because of it. ****ty software support from manufacturers and a hardware spec race ensures your phone will be outdated and probably no longer supported before you wireless contract is even half over

This is one of the reasons I went back to iOS, along with the far superior apps and support. Windows phone looks interesting though

Drunk Monkey
06-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Got a blue 32 GB on preorder from Sprint, finally ditching my OG EVO. Anyone else picking up this bad boy?

I am in the same boat.

How have past Galaxy's preformed compared to the Evo. What are the upgrades?

DBroncos4life
06-13-2012, 10:05 AM
I got mine ordered for verizon.

BroncoBen
06-13-2012, 10:17 AM

I have a Galaxy SII thru T-Mobile and love it... but I've read that the SIII is going to give the IPhone real competition.. I want the SIII because the screen is bigger.

Goobzilla
06-13-2012, 10:20 AM
On the whole, the android scene is really annoying too because manufacturer's keep pushing new specs but the user experience changes very little because of it. ****ty software support from manufacturers and a hardware spec race ensures your phone will be outdated and probably no longer supported before you wireless contract is even half over

This is one of the reasons I went back to iOS, along with the far superior apps and support. Windows phone looks interesting though

If Apple made a phone with a decent sized screen, I might drink the koolaid as well. 3.5" display, really? Make an iPhone XL with a 4.2-4.5ish screen and I'd probably get one.

DBroncos4life
06-13-2012, 10:24 AM

The Galaxy SII didn't come out for Verizon. So for me it isn't as big of a deal.

I have a Galaxy SII thru T-Mobile and love it... but I've read that the SIII is going to give the IPhone real competition.. I want the SIII because the screen is bigger.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 has been one of the most anticipated handsets of 2012 and has sparked as much interest and rumors on the run up to its launch as the iPhone 4S did before its launch. The question is, is the Galaxy S3 a better buy than the iPhone 4S? The folks over at IBTimes have provided 14 reasons why the Samsung Galaxy S3 is better than the iPhone 4S, here are a couple we think are worth highlighting:

Samsung Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 4S: why the S3 is a better buy
Owners of the Samsung Galaxy S3 enjoy NFC, near field communication, allowing wireless transaction on the handset. Also wireless is its charging abilities. It is also thinner & lighter: The new Samsung (133.0g) phone is 7g lighter than iPhone 4S (140.0g). The Apple iPhone 4S is also thicker at 9.3mm versus the Galaxy S3 at 8.6mm.

Moving on, you have a bigger screen: Samsung Galaxy S3 has a 4.8-inch Super AMOLED screen compared to 3.5-inch screen of the iPhone 4S. On the rear you find a removable battery: The battery is removable in the Galaxy S3 and can be replaced which is handy in case you have a long day ahead and wish to keep a backup battery in your waller. The iPhone 4S battery is not removable and your only option is one of those expanded battery covers which don't help the aesthetics of the Apple device.

Hit the source link for all 14 reasons why the Samsung Galaxy S3 beats the iPhone 4S. The Samsung Galaxy S3 is expected to be available through 5 US carriers by the end of this month. As for the iPhone 4S, it recently saw a price drop which was attributed to the incoming release of the iPhone 5. Unfortunately it didn't happen at WWDC 2012 and now looks set for a fall release.

[source]

http://www.motoringcrunch.com/news/mobile-tech/10884-samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-iphone-4s

alkemical
06-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Next payday i'm probably going to spring for a lumina 900.

lolcopter
06-13-2012, 10:44 AM
If Apple made a phone with a decent sized screen, I might drink the koolaid as well. 3.5" display, really? Make an iPhone XL with a 4.2-4.5ish screen and I'd probably get one.

I personally think 4" is the sweet spot for screens. Anything bigger than that and you almost have to use two hands

I will never buy another Samsung mobile product again though because I got burned with the first galaxy s. they are more concerned with pushing hardware numbers than they are with supporting the end user. I had to root my phone to even get froyo!

Lestat
06-13-2012, 11:09 AM
i am getting this bad boy. it's annoying to see so many phones pushed out after barely six months on the market but with trying to keep up and eventually surpass apple it's become a technological arms race.

i've had the HTC HD2 for many years now and it was a wonderful phone but i pretty much only use 3 phone brands. HTC,Samsung and LG.

i do find it hilarious that Apple is seeking an injunction to halt the US debut of the SIII on the basis of infringement.
what that means is they're scared of this phone and how it will affect the Iphone sales.

DBroncos4life
06-13-2012, 11:18 AM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/e7iu2.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/e7iu2)

This phone looks pretty good. Asus makes pretty good products. I believe this is their first go at a phone though and I'm not sure who the providers will be.

http://www.asus.com/Mobile/PadFone/

here are the specs.

tnedator
06-13-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm on the pre-order list.

Also, if you hadn't heard, the judge refused to give Apple a hearing on the injunction, so the S3 will ship on time.

Lestat
06-13-2012, 11:27 AM
I'm on the pre-order list.

Also, if you hadn't heard, the judge refused to give Apple a hearing on the injunction, so the S3 will ship on time.

sweet, i knew the judge had thrown out their injunction against Google but i hadn't heard about the SIII once being tossed out.

tnedator
06-13-2012, 11:51 AM
sweet, i knew the judge had thrown out their injunction against Google but i hadn't heard about the SIII once being tossed out.

Not tossed, but she said her calendar was too full to hear it on an emergency basis, since they have an ongoing patent infringement case on the Nexus, and similar (some new) claims are being brought up for the S3.

So, it sounds like she either wants them merged, or simply won't hear it on an emergency/TRO basis.

rmsanger
06-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Not sure the Galaxy S III should be compared to the 4S as we're 3-5 months out from a IP5 launch. That would probably be a proper comparison; however, 4S and the Lumia 900 are the best alternative benchmarks at this point.

Denver Bronco56
06-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Ive had the Galaxy S and the Galaxy S2 and loved them both!! the galaxy S3 has so many features as well as being the new flagship phone that im on the pre-order list and cant wait!

my galaxy s2 was already better then the iphone4s so i can only imagine how the S3 is going to be

Goobzilla
06-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Looks like Big Red is getting ready to ass blast its' customers

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-06-12/verizon-data-service-plans/55542720/1

$90/month for a single phone with a whopping 1GB of data. Yikes!

broncosteven
06-13-2012, 07:12 PM
I was going to run out and buy a new iphone but decided to wait hoping Apple was going to announce the 5 last Monday but it now looks like August.

Thing is the Note? (phone Dutch has been pimping) is looking more and more cool to me every time I see it. If only Korg apps worked on it like they do on the iphone/ipad I would jump into one of those. Hoping my cell can hold out another 4 months...

hambone13
06-13-2012, 10:13 PM
I love the Galaxy series. I have the Epic and it's still awesome. I'll probably end up with the III eventually. I'm still sorta partial to real keys for long texts and emails....

Honestly, it was drive me crazy to have to stuck without being able to put in another battery. I have 3 for my phone so I never have to worry about it. They're cheap and I never have to plug the thing in because I always have a back up in a wall charger and the other in my pocket. It's the only way to go.

tnedator
06-14-2012, 01:33 AM
I love the Galaxy series. I have the Epic and it's still awesome. I'll probably end up with the III eventually. I'm still sorta partial to real keys for long texts and emails....

Honestly, it was drive me crazy to have to stuck without being able to put in another battery. I have 3 for my phone so I never have to worry about it. They're cheap and I never have to plug the thing in because I always have a back up in a wall charger and the other in my pocket. It's the only way to go.

I couldn't tell by your last paragraph, but just making sure you know that the battery on the S3 is removable, so you can do your battery rotation with it. For my Atrix, I had an extended battery (and replacement back cover) that I would put on for overseas trips and stuff, but I might try your trick instead. batteries are light, and the S3 will have a dual charger (charges phone and spare battery).

Also, on the keyboard. I didn't think I would like it/use it, but once I committed to using Swype for a few days, i was hooked. i have no problem (or very little problem) typing long forum posts or long emails from either my phone or tablet using Swype. I can't imagine going back to a standard LCD keyboard or physical keyboard after getting used to Swype.

hambone13
06-14-2012, 01:54 AM
I couldn't tell by your last paragraph, but just making sure you know that the battery on the S3 is removable, so you can do your battery rotation with it. For my Atrix, I had an extended battery (and replacement back cover) that I would put on for overseas trips and stuff, but I might try your trick instead. batteries are light, and the S3 will have a dual charger (charges phone and spare battery).

Also, on the keyboard. I didn't think I would like it/use it, but once I committed to using Swype for a few days, i was hooked. i have no problem (or very little problem) typing long forum posts or long emails from either my phone or tablet using Swype. I can't imagine going back to a standard LCD keyboard or physical keyboard after getting used to Swype.

LOL, I was totally distracted in the middle of posting what I did. Yes, I do realize that the battery is removable. My intention was to make the comparison with an iPhone. It would drive me nuts to not be able to switch them out. I've given Swype a shot a couple of times and it think it's pretty cool but I'm just so fast with manual keys and there are some many other quick options with the shift and control keys that are not available with Swype that I struggle with the transition. I realize that I need to make the leap eventually because the keys will eventually go away but right now I'm middle of the road. I practice with it when I'm not trying to do something more extensive to ease the transition but I'm still not a natural.

Drunk Monkey
06-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Does anyone have a Galaxy Nexus? I am leaning towards the Galaxy 3 but not really too impressed with the bloatware Sprint put on my Evo.

hambone13
06-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Does anyone have a Galaxy Nexus? I am leaning towards the Galaxy 3 but not really to impressed with the bloatware Sprint put on my Evo.

The Nexux is a straight Google phone, no Sprint Bloatware. I'm not sure what they're going to do with the III.

lolcopter
06-14-2012, 10:06 AM
You can get rid of the carrier bloatware by rooting your phone and just deleting it

Drunk Monkey
06-14-2012, 06:04 PM
You can get rid of the carrier bloatware by rooting your phone and just deleting it

I thought of doing that to my EVO. Are there any adverse affects?

lolcopter
06-14-2012, 06:43 PM
I thought of doing that to my EVO. Are there any adverse affects?

none that i can think of off the top of my head, except maybe you wouldn't want to take it into the store to get fixed when it's rooted since it's akin to a jailbroken iphone and the carrier may get all butt hurt

i would highly recommend it though, if only because then you can run custom roms which are usually much better than the stock OS. it's usually a pretty straight forward and easy process to root your phone and install custom roms, especially on a phone as popular as the evo. it allows your phone to be highly customizable, and you can unlock features which carries will usually charge for, like tethering, for free.

check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/

SportinOne
06-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Currently posting this from my galaxy s2 skyrocket. I really love this thing. The ics update should be coming out pretty soon, not sure how a new galaxy infringes on my phone and BTW i can download at 30mbps in LTE areas so suck it s3! Another btw.... extended battery, extended battery, extended battery. I dont use power save or screen dim and this thing runs strong all day.

beanerbronco
06-27-2012, 09:01 PM
should I go white or Navy Blue? I'm leaning towards blue since it goes with the broncos, but i'm not totally sold on it... what do you guys think? I've always had a black phone

Doggcow
06-27-2012, 09:38 PM
HTC's are better across the board. Benchmarks higher, far superior camera, and the screen is more true, less cartoon-y.

tnedator
06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
should I go white or Navy Blue? I'm leaning towards blue since it goes with the broncos, but i'm not totally sold on it... what do you guys think? I've always had a black phone

I bought the blue. Mostly, because I didn't think I would like a white phone. I think it looks good, but the back does show fingerprints and stuff.

I'm still debating whether or not I will use a TPU case (I have one on it now), or go without a case as I have on all my previous phones.

Doggcow
06-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Oh and btw if you're looking at reviews, MOST of them are comparing a QUAD CORE S3 to the HTC One X/S/Evo, and not the US Dual Core, and it still loses. Lol.

Samsung is the Dre Beats of Smartphones. They're still good, but you can do better for less.

Oh and hope your S3 doesn't blow up on you rofl (http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/samsung-vows-to-investigate-burning-galaxy-s3-50008355/)

Cmac821
06-27-2012, 10:01 PM
I would kill for this phone, I have a LG Optimus and it's the worse smart phone. Everything I do has a lag to, when I text the phone is 5-6 letters behind what I'm hitting. Also, the carrier is sprint and I have to say there selections of phone suck.

The only reason I have sprint is for the unlimited data, how is having a set data plan?

Doggcow
06-27-2012, 10:06 PM
I would kill for this phone, I have a LG Optimus and it's the worse smart phone. Everything I do has a lag to, when I text the phone is 5-6 letters behind what I'm hitting. Also, the carrier is sprint and I have to say there selections of phone suck.

The only reason I have sprint is for the unlimited data, how is having a set data plan?

For the record I work at T-Mobile and own both a One S and a Galaxy S3.

Most people don't go much over 5 gigs if they use WiFi moderately. AT&T and Verizon are going to assrape you if you're streaming a lot.

T-Mo doesn't have LTE yet, however, in every market our HSPA+ network smashes Sprint's, so take that as you will.

Verizon is in the process of kicking off every grandfathered unlimited rate plan, so those will be gone.

Leaves T-Mo and Sprint. T-mo has a bigger and faster network, and also unlimited. If you get a 5gig throttled plan, you'll likely have superior service across the board.

I have customers every day come in and say "I use tons of data" and I check their plan and it's ~2-5gigs.

Cmac821
06-27-2012, 10:16 PM
I don't use a lot of data just because my phone sucks, probably a hour a day of pandora and probably only 30 minutes of other stuff. Also wifi doesn't work on my Optimus which is just awesome.

But I have no idea what HSPA+ so not sure how to take that but I think I would only need a 2g or 3g plan. Now I just have to find the best deal

Doggcow
06-27-2012, 10:19 PM
I don't use a lot of data just because my phone sucks, probably a hour a day of pandora and probably only 30 minutes of other stuff. Also wifi doesn't work on my Optimus which is just awesome.

But I have no idea what HSPA+ so not sure how to take that but I think I would only need a 2g or 3g plan. Now I just have to find the best deal

Well if you're just streaming some Pandora each day you'd be alright around 2-5.

Now with a faster phone you'll be doing more on it as well. Like I said, they're unlimited as well, it just slows down after your limit to 2G.

Do you want a bigger screen or a better camera? Both phones will be huge improvements for you so the faster benchmarks of HTC aren't as relevant.

Cmac821
06-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Well if you're just streaming some Pandora each day you'd be alright around 2-5.

Now with a faster phone you'll be doing more on it as well. Like I said, they're unlimited as well, it just slows down after your limit to 2G.

Do you want a bigger screen or a better camera? Both phones will be huge improvements for you so the faster benchmarks of HTC aren't as relevant.

I like the size of the Iphone so 3.5"-4" range seems good and my phone has a 3.2mp camera so anything is an upgrade. Probably can't afford the newest thing out there so just looking for a the best phone for the money

Doggcow
06-27-2012, 10:28 PM
I like the size of the Iphone so 3.5"-4" range seems good and my phone has a 3.2mp camera so anything is an upgrade. Probably can't afford the newest thing out there so just looking for a the best phone for the money

T-Mo could set you up with a HTC One S for $199.99+(tax on $599.99) out the door, with unlimited Talk, Text, 2gig data and phone protection plan (trust me, you want this even if you're careful, it really isn't a scam anymore) for $88/month. $68 after the phone is paid off. All cell phone companies charge for phones FYI, you just pay for it in your plan.

Now if you get your own One S or Galaxy whole sale it'll cost you a bit more today, but you can get that cheaper plan.

Or another really solid option you could get cheaper would be going with an HTC Amaze or Samsung Blaze, both cost quite a bit less, I'd recommend buying straight up from Amazon or Craigslist though. Oh and Tmo will insure your used phone if it's in good condition lol

Cmac821
06-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Wow that is some really good information, I appreciate it. Will have to look into T-mobile now, tired of having a phone I hate

Doggcow
06-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Wow that is some really good information, I appreciate it. Will have to look into T-mobile now, tired of having a phone I hate

Sure no problem. If you're also looking for a wireless hotspot (for a tablet/laptop), you could probably get the T-Mo rep to throw in a sweeter deal than our prices (also depending on how the store is doing that month). You'd be looking at an extra $19.99/mo for a 2gig plan for that, or $29.99 for a 5.

The other day I gave away a couple phones (cheaper ones though, Samsung Exhibit II's) because someone got 3 lines and got the Hotspot lol.

FYI, you may also have a deposit from $0-250. T-mo has the lowest in the market (and you get it back in 12 months).

steeledude
06-28-2012, 12:48 AM

Hmmm...I have the first Samsung Galaxy (or Fascinate as they called it two years ago) and I am still using it two years later come this Sept. When my two years is up I am dropping Verizon and am definitely going for the Galaxy III. This Samsung phone is the best I've ever owned. Not a single complaint with it. I've never needed it serviced, repaired, or anything. Great phone.

Doggcow
06-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Hmmm...I have the first Samsung Galaxy (or Fascinate as they called it two years ago) and I am still using it two years later come this Sept. When my two years is up I am dropping Verizon and am definitely going for the Galaxy III. This Samsung phone is the best I've ever owned. Not a single complaint with it. I've never needed it serviced, repaired, or anything. Great phone.

But don't we also love paying a premium for a product whose specs are sub-par compared to the competition, aren't customizable, aren't 4G and cost me $5-10 a week on average because only 24% of apps are free as opposed to 77%?

Aftermath
06-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Verizon grandfathered unlimited data FTW

Drunk Monkey
06-28-2012, 06:11 AM
My 2 years is up on Sunday, I hope they don't sell out (Sprint is selling them on Friday if you didn't pre order). This happened to me with the EVO. It took a couple of months to get one after they were released.

Broncosman
06-28-2012, 06:26 AM
got mine already

DenverBroncosJM
06-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Ive had the Galaxy S and the Galaxy S2 and loved them both!! the galaxy S3 has so many features as well as being the new flagship phone that im on the pre-order list and cant wait!

my galaxy s2 was already better then the iphone4s so i can only imagine how the S3 is going to be

When you have a new flagship phone every 3-6 months, is it still a flagship?

Denver Bronco56
06-28-2012, 12:24 PM
I have sprint and right now the phone doesnt have 4g data due to the lack of LTE. But the LTE that sprint is bringing to the table is a step of in terms of tech. compared to the other LTE networks, it will incorporate HD voice... and still be unlimited.

Back to the phone its FAST, my brother has the EVO 4g LTE(HTC ONE) and they are pretty comprable. The phone build of the HTC is better but the software and features on the S3 are better...

and I always put a case on my phone so the build quality is not a big concern...but i focus on functionality and the S3 has it all

Doggcow
06-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Verizon grandfathered unlimited data FTW

They're kicking you off of it, did you miss the memo? ROFL

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-05-16/verizon-wireless-unlimited-data/55028254/1

Broncos4tw
06-28-2012, 02:25 PM
I recently got the HTC Rezound - and I frickin' love that thing. So.. naw.

tnedator
06-28-2012, 07:30 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-05-16/verizon-wireless-unlimited-data/55028254/1

Unless something changed, Verizon customers could keep their unlimited plan until they upgrade to a new phone. However, if they upgrade to the S3 and pre-order it before the 28th, they still get to keep their unlimited plan. I'm not a Verizon customer, but that's what I've been reading/hearing.

Doggcow
06-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Unless something changed, Verizon customers could keep their unlimited plan until they upgrade to a new phone. However, if they upgrade to the S3 and pre-order it before the 28th, they still get to keep their unlimited plan. I'm not a Verizon customer, but that's what I've been reading/hearing.

Ignorance is bliss. Verizon will likely do a little memo on some peoples' bills that says "We're kicking you off unlimited data in 3 months, you can opt out (with no fee) of your contract now or change in the future." It is, 100% going through. But they're of course not talking about it yet.

Aftermath
06-28-2012, 11:09 PM

ROFL RoFL RoFL That's why I said grandfathered ya Jackass!!
I will not be using any upgrades and paying full retail for my phones. Anything to keep unlimited 4G LTE ;)

Goobzilla
06-28-2012, 11:19 PM
This phone is great! Love, love, love!!

Binkythefrog
06-28-2012, 11:40 PM

I'm a 7 year Verizon customer and I ordered my phone prior to the 28th for this reason. I was able to select unlimited data for my Galaxy S3 although tiered plans were available as a choice. Hopefully Verizon doesn't screw me over later, but I would be shocked if they did - Verizon didn't send me a weird notice when they started phasing out unlimited customers when they introduced their first tiered plans a while back.

However, if it does change I don't think the limit will really affect me. Although I'm a steady Maps/Email user and intermittent Google Music/Internet user, I've never come close to going over even 1GB of data. This may change as I get a more fancy powerful phone with LTE, but I doubt it.

Doggcow
06-29-2012, 12:49 AM
ROFL RoFL RoFL That's why I said grandfathered ya Jackass!!
I will not be using any upgrades and paying full retail for my phones. Anything to keep unlimited 4G LTE ;)

Did you not read? They're PHASING IT OUT. Trust me. I work WITH Verizon people. Lol. Your plan will go by the wayside. Once your contracts run out, the company doesn't have to offer them to you again, you know that, right?

Doggcow
06-29-2012, 12:53 AM
I'm a 7 year Verizon customer and I ordered my phone prior to the 28th for this reason. I was able to select unlimited data for my Galaxy S3 although tiered plans were available as a choice. Hopefully Verizon doesn't screw me over later, but I would be shocked if they did - Verizon didn't send me a weird notice when they started phasing out unlimited customers when they introduced their first tiered plans a while back.

However, if it does change I don't think the limit will really affect me. Although I'm a steady Maps/Email user and intermittent Google Music/Internet user, I've never come close to going over even 1GB of data. This may change as I get a more fancy powerful phone with LTE, but I doubt it.

Most people don't, hence my post earlier. 2GB and 5GB are more than enough for 99% of the country. The rest should really just get Comcast cable anyway.

I mean, honestly, how much time do you people spend away from WiFi networks? At home I have one, at work I have one, the bar has one, hell the ****ing dog park has one. In between those locations I'm driving and not watching HD movies on Netflix, so the only way someone really gets up over 5 or 10 gigs is if they're TRYING... lol.

I use ~3gigs/month, and that's including streaming netflix/live sports at work 1-3 times a week.

tnedator
06-29-2012, 04:59 AM
Ignorance is bliss. Verizon will likely do a little memo on some peoples' bills that says "We're kicking you off unlimited data in 3 months, you can opt out (with no fee) of your contract now or change in the future." It is, 100% going through. But they're of course not talking about it yet.

Down boy.

In the internet age, there is no "quietly" doing anything. Anyone paying attention knows that Verizon is phasing the plans out, but they are trying to do it with as little backlash as possible. Therefore, they are doing it by tieing it to subsidized phones. If you buy a phone and get a discount for signing a contract, then you can't keep your unlimited data. However, they have exempted pre-orders on the S3, because they didn't want to lose customers on such a hot new phone.

After that, they have said the only way you can keep your unlimited data is to pay full price for a phone.

So, "maybe" they will do what you say, but that is an ASSumption. Those that are staying informed (the lack of ignorance is actually bliss) are aware of this.

Aftermath
06-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Down boy.

In the internet age, there is no "quietly" doing anything. Anyone paying attention knows that Verizon is phasing the plans out, but they are trying to do it with as little backlash as possible. Therefore, they are doing it by tieing it to subsidized phones. If you buy a phone and get a discount for signing a contract, then you can't keep your unlimited data. However, they have exempted pre-orders on the S3, because they didn't want to lose customers on such a hot new phone.

After that, they have said the only way you can keep your unlimited data is to pay full price for a phone.

So, "maybe" they will do what you say, but that is an ASSumption. Those that are staying informed (the lack of ignorance is actually bliss) are aware of this.

Thank you, that dude is a straight moron. Honestly, there is nothing worse than a person who thinks hes right about everything and gets so excited to prove someone wrong, take a day or two off ya jackass.

Aftermath
06-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Did you not read? They're PHASING IT OUT. Trust me. I work WITH Verizon people. Lol. Your plan will go by the wayside. Once your contracts run out, the company doesn't have to offer them to you again, you know that, right?

oH NOZ, I better "trust you" since you work "WITH Verizon people", my plan will go by the "wayside"!!! Even though Verizon has stated numerous times that you can keep unlimited as long as you don't buy a phone with a subsidized(sp?) price. You must of gave up your unlimited data by being a dip****, I can't think of anything else that would make you so butthurt by the whole Unlimited data thing.

jutang
06-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Just got the epic 4g tough last Feb and love it. On a family plan with my wife. In restropect, now that all these unlocked phones are on the market at pretty decent prices, I wonder if it would have been cheaper going that route and using a prepaid plan like virgin or alltell.

Doggcow
06-30-2012, 11:47 PM
oH NOZ, I better "trust you" since you work "WITH Verizon people", my plan will go by the "wayside"!!! Even though Verizon has stated numerous times that you can keep unlimited as long as you don't buy a phone with a subsidized(sp?) price. You must of gave up your unlimited data by being a dip****, I can't think of anything else that would make you so butthurt by the whole Unlimited data thing.

A) I don't need more than 5 gigs anyway because I'm not using my phone for everything, can afford high speed internet at home, and know how to use a WiFi network... LOL B) I don't even use Verizon so I could care less.

But I do love the internet where people come and fling insults when they're uninformed. I guess it beats paying attention for themselves. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/16/verizon-unlimited-data-plans_n_1521967.html

You're already getting throttled by the way.

The big question that remains is when the end of unlimited data at Verizon for grandfathered customers will take effect. We'll update you when we get official word from the carrier.

Like I said. You are wrong. Sorry that a "dip****" pointed it out for you. That has to be embarrassing.

This is why I love the internet, full of kids like this:

Thank you, that dude is a straight moron. Honestly, there is nothing worse than a person who thinks hes right about everything and gets so excited to prove someone wrong, take a day or two off ya jackass.

Doggcow
06-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Just got the epic 4g tough last Feb and love it. On a family plan with my wife. In restropect, now that all these unlocked phones are on the market at pretty decent prices, I wonder if it would have been cheaper going that route and using a prepaid plan like virgin or alltell.

Prepaid prices are honestly probably the way to go for a single consumer, family plans save on multiple. Save the contract, by a wholesale/craigslist phone and call it good. Most are $50 or $60/month for unlimited everything.

Doggcow
07-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Down boy.

Which is all fine and good and you go to "out of contract" status. Thus you're as relevant as a prepaid customer, and will be treated as such. They can, then, at any time, choose NOT to continue service because there is no contract, and you won't be able to renew.

It's not an "ASSumption," it's a fact, not "if" but "when."

tnedator
07-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Which is all fine and good and you go to "out of contract" status. Thus you're as relevant as a prepaid customer, and will be treated as such. They can, then, at any time, choose NOT to continue service because there is no contract, and you won't be able to renew.

It's not an "ASSumption," it's a fact, not "if" but "when."

What you initially said was factually incorrect. Everyone knows that AT&T and Verizon are moving away from unlimited accounts. However, they way you described was was going on is simply innumerate.

If it means so much for you to appear to be an expert on a subject (which is pitifully obvious with your posts) than do yourself a favor and start spending a little more time learning about the subject, and less time posting about it until you know what the **** your talking about.

Just some friendly advice, take it or leave it.

Aftermath
07-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Lol I have home Internet as well as WiFi. And I am not being throttled, I have 2 friends, one that uses over 15gb/month, and other 7-8gb/month. You like spewing word **** from your mouth don't you?

Aftermath
07-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Oh, and you win, bye.

Doggcow
07-01-2012, 08:42 PM
What you initially said was factually incorrect. Everyone knows that AT&T and Verizon are moving away from unlimited accounts. However, they way you described was was going on is simply innumerate.

If it means so much for you to appear to be an expert on a subject (which is pitifully obvious with your posts) than do yourself a favor and start spending a little more time learning about the subject, and less time posting about it until you know what the **** your talking about.

Just some friendly advice, take it or leave it.

So you're saying they're in the process of changing. I said in my first post they're in the process of changing. You got me.

I never stated when, just soon, and I said a likely occurrence for in contract customers is they will likely be given a contract opt out for legal reasons, I didn't guarantee that's how it would happen, but I was going off of precedence set in the industry.

Not one of my posts was wrong in any way. You said everyone will know everything immediately, my posts were saying Verizon was in the process of getting off of it and they were keeping it hush hush.

Doggcow
07-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Lol I have home Internet as well as WiFi. And I am not being throttled, I have 2 friends, one that uses over 15gb/month, and other 7-8gb/month. You like spewing word **** from your mouth don't you?

The top 5% of Verizon consumers get throttled. If you're not in the top 5%, you really shouldn't be complaining because the new plans will save you money... Or are you just such an angry person, so you get on the internet to complain about things benefiting your life?

You just like throwing around insults over things you have no idea about, don't you?

tnedator
07-01-2012, 09:07 PM
So you're saying they're in the process of changing. I said in my first post they're in the process of changing. You got me.

I never stated when, just soon, and I said a likely occurrence for in contract customers is they will likely be given a contract opt out for legal reasons, I didn't guarantee that's how it would happen, but I was going off of precedence set in the industry.

Not one of my posts was wrong in any way. You said everyone will know everything immediately, my posts were saying Verizon was in the process of getting off of it and they were keeping it hush hush.

I realize as you go through puberty the hormones are raging and your head is spinning, but that doesn't excuse you for being rude or full of ****.

You stated, among other things, that "They're kicking you off of it, did you miss the memo? ROFL."

Like AT&T, they aren't kicking anyone off, they have people grandfathered and they are working hard to incentives them to move to the tiered plans. They aren't "kicking people off" as you ROFL, because of the backlash on the internet and print that they are trying to avoid.

Come on kid, think before you click "submit reply."

Doggcow
07-01-2012, 09:16 PM
I realize as you go through puberty the hormones are raging and your head is spinning, but that doesn't excuse you for being rude or full of ****.

You stated, among other things, that "They're kicking you off of it, did you miss the memo? ROFL."

Like AT&T, they aren't kicking anyone off, they have people grandfathered and they are working hard to incentives them to move to the tiered plans. They aren't "kicking people off" as you ROFL, because of the backlash on the internet and print that they are trying to avoid.

Come on kid, think before you click "submit reply."

If they refuse to renew your contract (because it's no longer an option, which it isn't), or give you an option to keep it (because it doesn't exist anymore), or reserve the right to change services (which they have), then they are effectively kicking you off of unlimited.

And what I initially said was "in the process of kicking everyone off." You're trying to argue the semantics of "kicking off" right now. Whether or not they keep it indefinitely (VERY VERY UNLIKELY and not confirmed) doesn't really matter if they make that option so terrible to continue, e.g. Paying premiums for phones or services etc. But if you want to throw away money just for a "Ha, told ya so!" I'll gladly nod, and laugh as walk away with my $10/month, unlimited talk, text, and web plan.

I've yet to fling insults at anyone in this thread, you and your Verizon friend have been more than happy to attack me personally though with your false information as grounds for it.

All you've come up with is "No they're not doing that, I said they're not," as your evidence. Show me a quote from a CEO / CFO that says Verizon will continue to recognize grandfathered data plans indefinitely and I'll gladly believe you.

tnedator
07-01-2012, 09:33 PM
If they refuse to renew your contract (because it's no longer an option, which it isn't), or give you an option to keep it (because it doesn't exist anymore), or reserve the right to change services (which they have), then they are effectively kicking you off of unlimited.

Can you provide ONE example where this has been done? No. You're bloviating for the sake of seeing your words appear on the mythical internet.

And what I initially said was "in the process of kicking everyone off." You're trying to argue the semantics of "kicking off" right now. I've yet to fling insults at anyone in this thread, you and your Verizon friend have been more than happy to attack me personally though with your false information as grounds for it.

Go back and re-read your posts and the response from multiple people. You can off as a condescending ass. Not to mention one that doesn't know what he's/she's talking about.

All you've come up with is "No they're not doing that, I said they're not," as your evidence. Show me a quote from a CEO / CFO that says Verizon will continue to recognize grandfathered data plans indefinitely and I'll gladly believe you.

Oh, the ace in the hole of the Internet genius, trying to win an debate by asking the other to prove a negative.

Let's flip that. Show me one quote that says they will terminate accounts with grandfathered unlimited plans once their 24 month contract is up.

Geez man, WTH is your major malfunction?

Doggcow
07-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Let's flip that. Show me one quote that says they will terminate accounts with grandfathered unlimited plans once their 24 month contract is up.

Geez man, WTH is your major malfunction?

For a limited time, they still will be able to do that, at least through the new contract. Verizon wouldn't specify when the change for current customers will kick in. Until then, spokeswoman Brenda Raney said, nothing changes. "Unless Verizon releases more details about this, there could be some customers who might go ahead and try to lock in their current unlimited plan while upgrading to a new phone," says Roger Entner, analyst at Recon Analytics.

That is all.

Doggcow
07-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Can you provide ONE example where this has been done? No. You're bloviating for the sake of seeing your words appear on the mythical internet.

Verizon Wireless has announced they are unilaterally changing your wireless contract with an increase in the Regulatory Recovery Fee (a bill-padding junk fee) from $0.13 to $0.16 effective July 1st. That fee opens a 60-day window for customers to exit their contracts because the carrier is imposing a “materially adverse” change without your advance consent. After 60 days, you effectively give that consent by staying with the company.

I know what I'm talking about. You don't. Fling another insult. It's comedic how badly you just set yourself up.

CHANGSTER
07-01-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm going budget no contract. Can anyone tell me if these phones are the same? And if they're any good? I'm a smart phone newb.

http://www.boostmobilestore.com/bpdirect/boost/PhoneList.do?action=view&id=evodesign

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phones/htc-evo-v-phone.jsp?intcmp=p-hp-mps2-evolaunch-053112

Willynowei
07-02-2012, 02:27 AM
I have had really poor experiences with Samsung products on the "non sexy" feature side, in other words, their phones have trouble with reception, get bogged down when they shouldn't, and generally don't operate smoothly when put to every day use.

They don't make dependable products. HTC on the other hand is pretty good for android phones.

Really though the only phone i'm truly excited for is what Windows 8 phone Nokia releases. The worlds best engineers work for Nokia and the new w8 looks like it will be the most feature loaded and capable OS on release.

tnedator
07-02-2012, 06:34 AM
I know what I'm talking about. You don't. Fling another insult. It's comedic how badly you just set yourself up.

Your example has nothing to do with terminating people's accounts after their contract was over, or anything like what you described. Phone companies modify fees like that all the time. That is far different than what you claimed, which is that they would either force people to move off of the unlimited plans, or terminate their accounts after their 24 month contracts are up.

Requiem
07-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Doggcow getting owned all day.

Denver Bronco56
07-02-2012, 07:28 AM
after a couple days of having the S3 I can say its everything it said it was going to be and more.. the 2gb of ram make multitasking amazing, the dual core 1.5ghz breeze through any game or app ive thrown at it...

and they brought back the wolfson sound chip that is found in the iphones and it sounds great! and im getting really good battery life also

Requiem
07-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Looks like you picked a winner. You guys are winners of the cell phone picking contest.

Dutch
07-02-2012, 08:14 AM
I have had really poor experiences with Samsung products on the "non sexy" feature side, in other words, their phones have trouble with reception, get bogged down when they shouldn't, and generally don't operate smoothly when put to every day use.

They don't make dependable products. HTC on the other hand is pretty good for android phones.

Really though the only phone i'm truly excited for is what Windows 8 phone Nokia releases. The worlds best engineers work for Nokia and the new w8 looks like it will be the most feature loaded and capable OS on release.

No problems at all with my Samsung Gnote. Just wish AT&T would get off their ass and get ICS 4.0 out before the rest of the world get JB 4.1

Requiem
07-02-2012, 10:03 AM
T-Mobile CEO re-signed today. Flip like T-Mobile and I'll make you a sidekick.

Doggcow
07-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Your example has nothing to do with terminating people's accounts after their contract was over, or anything like what you described. Phone companies modify fees like that all the time. That is far different than what you claimed, which is that they would either force people to move off of the unlimited plans, or terminate their accounts after their 24 month contracts are up.

Modifying a contract that negatively impacts people on it? That's exactly what it did. I also claimed they would put a little "opt out" notice, like they did, when they were changing a service, the quote, you quoted, involved "reserve the right to change service," I showed another instance where they changed services and contracts. Unlimited Data isn't "above" everything else. It's just a modification to the contract. Like I said, they have that ability. With them NOT OPENLY saying they will keep it indefinitely, and moving a different direction, do you really think they're leaning TOWARDS keeping it and not away? That's just naive. They don't HAVE to renew a contract after it's up, you understand that right?

tnedator
07-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Modifying a contract that negatively impacts people on it? That's exactly what it did. I also claimed they would put a little "opt out" notice, like they did, when they were changing a service, the quote, you quoted, involved "reserve the right to change service," I showed another instance where they changed services and contracts. Unlimited Data isn't "above" everything else. It's just a modification to the contract. Like I said, they have that ability. With them NOT OPENLY saying they will keep it indefinitely, and moving a different direction, do you really think they're leaning TOWARDS keeping it and not away? That's just naive. They don't HAVE to renew a contract after it's up, you understand that right?

I'm now clear on two things with you. First, you have a reading comprehension issue. Second, you are working really hard to hang on to anything to prove your stupid post was accurate.

From Verizon:

When the new options are introduced, Unlimited Data will no longer be available to our customers purchasing handsets and signing a new contract. Customers who choose to purchase phones at full retail price and are currently on an unlimited smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan. The same pricing and policies will apply to all 3G and 4GLTE smartphones.

They have stated publicly that they will not be taking away people's grandfathered unlimited plans and will not force people to move. Instead, they will greatly incentivize them to move their new shared plan, because they will not give discounted/contract pricing to anyone keeping their unlimited plans.

For many, this doesn't matter, because they buy used phones, buy unlocked phones, etc. For others, they will have to choose between keeping their unlimited plan or getting a new phone at a discounted price.

As to your ludicrous "They don't HAVE to renew a contract after it's up, you understand that right?" statement/question. Of course they don't HAVE TO renew a contract, or MORE ACCURATELY, allow an out of contract customer to continue buying service on a "month to month" non contract status.

However, just because they don't have to, doesn't mean they will start cancelling accounts of people that don't move to the shared data plan. If they were going to do that in the short term, they wouldn't have made the announcement that people can keep their unlimited data, because they will be crucified in the press and on the internet if they reverse that in short order.

The fact is you went off half cocked. Made an asinine, condescending couple statements about what you thought was happening with Verizon and are now trying to come up with any hypothetical "but, err, but, ya know, they could do it...." argument to cover up your ignorance on the subject.

Why don't you just stop while you're behind, because every time you touch your keyboard, your ignorance on this subject becomes more and more apparent.

Requiem
07-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Strike 12, Dogturd is out.

DBroncos4life
07-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Mine came in today and was so happy. Then after multiple times of not being able to activate it I was told I cant have it till its launch date which is the 10th. The was mad cause no one told her this on the phone when she called to get it activated the first four times it said data load fail. :giggle: