PDA

View Full Version : Antwan Odom

MABroncoFan
06-12-2012, 01:21 PM
From this article - Broncos w/ an eye on him apparently.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19338897

Similarly, teams are eyeing Odom as a possible value play, though he is much further removed from his top form. Odom suffered from wrist issues and had his career derailed by having a pin put in the wrong spot during a surgery when he was a Bengal, according to his agent, Tony Agnone, "that resulted in a worker's comp settlement."
Odom, 30, hasn't played more than a half season since 2008 and has only 10 appearances since 2009, but began lifting weights again several weeks ago. Teams like Baltimore and Denver are watching, knowing how little pass rush help is generally available. It makes sense, considering Odom racked up eight sacks in six games in 2009.
"He will be ready to go in July," Agnone said. "He's starting to get into the full mode now."

Drek
06-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Bring him in. He was a beast early in '09. If he washes out no big loss. If he's able to regain his form he could be a major addition.

Smiling Assassin27
06-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Bring him in. He was a beast early in '09. If he washes out no big loss. If he's able to regain his form he could be a major addition.

Sincerely,

Courtney Brown, Leon Lett, and Simeon Rice ;)

DBroncos4life
06-12-2012, 01:31 PM

I agree. I gave been wanting another pass rusher to mix in with Doom and Miller.

BroncoInferno
06-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Sincerely,

Courtney Brown worked out pretty well for one season.

Gutless Drunk
06-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Pass. The guy is 130 years old for cripes sake

Beantown Bronco
06-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Pass. The guy is 130 years old for cripes sake

But he's been out injured for the past three years, so he only has the wear and tear of a 127 year old.

Drek
06-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Sincerely,

Courtney Brown was a great value pickup and was a key part of some playoff runs for this club. He never had the kind of productivity Odom flashed in '09 before getting hurt.

errand
06-12-2012, 03:07 PM

Love how posters say "bring him in....if he doesn't make it, no big deal ".....

What? Is he gonna come in for free? You realize it's not your money don't you?

Bacchus
06-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Sincerely,

Leon Lett gave a good 3 years or so.

Kaylore
06-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Leon Lett gave a good 3 years or so.

....to the cowboys, you mean?

DBroncos4life
06-12-2012, 05:02 PM

I like how you think a contract is guaranteed.

baja
06-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Do we really need another DE?

sgbfan
06-12-2012, 06:21 PM

Exactly, its not my money. Bring him in!!!

errand
06-12-2012, 06:32 PM
I like how you think a contract is guaranteed.

Wouldn't that depend on the contract itself? Most agents nowadays won't even let their guys sign it without some form of guaranteed money..... maybe you would... but i doubt anybody else would.

errand
06-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Exactly, its not my money. Bring him in!!!

My point exactly..... the defense rests.

errand
06-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Amazes me all the people who were concerned about peyton manning's neck after missing only 1 season the sky hardly played at all in the last 3 and they want him to come in....

DBroncos4life
06-12-2012, 07:27 PM

We have at the very least three players that can play DE/DT, however we have only two "players" that can rush the passer. With Jackson on the team and Warren reworking his deal a pure edge pass rusher is a bigger need then a guy like Hunter. Don't get me wrong I like hunter but he isn't a threat to get to the QB like Odom is.

Wouldn't that depend on the contract itself? Most agents nowadays won't even let their guys sign it without some form of guaranteed money..... maybe you would... but i doubt anybody else would.

Yes it would but it does depend on the contract. It doesn't matter what his agent wants it is what the teams will offer a guy that has sat out football to recover from an injury for a couple of seasons.

Bigdawg26
06-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Courtney Brown was expected to be an impact starting pass rusher. Odom would be just another pass rushing end coming off the bench. Clearly, the main focus of other teams would be Von and Doom, but Odom could be counted on off the bench. I say bring him in for look.

Bigdawg26
06-12-2012, 08:01 PM
You can never have enough good pass rushing ends!

Lestat
06-12-2012, 08:03 PM

ask the NY Giants about having too many DE's.

baja
06-12-2012, 08:17 PM

We have greater needs.

DBroncos4life
06-12-2012, 08:20 PM
We have greater needs.

Giants do too, but that doesn't stop them from paying there guys to stay there. Really what other needs do we have then putting pressure on the other QB's?

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Guys! If we brought him in, it would be in a backup/subpackage role. He's not a starter anymore and he's not going to get starter money. If he comes it'll be for the vet min on about 750000 and at most 1.25 mil. If that's the case I don't see the harm to bring in a guy like that and he fits in a subpackage like dime where we have Doom and Von on the outside and Wolfe and Odem up the middle.

kappys
06-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Depending on the salary I think he's an upgrade/replacement for Hunter.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-12-2012, 08:26 PM

^This

baja
06-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Giants do too, but that doesn't stop them from paying there guys to stay there. Really what other needs do we have then putting pressure on the other QB's?

We need DTs more than DEs.

Teams will all try and run on us first to keep Manning off the field.

Why overload on DE when we are scary light on quality DTs?

kappys
06-12-2012, 08:35 PM

All about options I suppose - not sure who is out there that would be worth it. I'm sure if there are any cuts the Broncos would consider a move

DBroncos4life
06-12-2012, 08:40 PM

We have more run stopping DT's then pass rushing DE's.

baja
06-12-2012, 09:13 PM
We have more run stopping DT's then pass rushing DE's.

consider quality

extralife
06-12-2012, 09:13 PM

well, lets count all the quality DTs out there that Odom would be stealing a roster spot from.

we have

well

lets see

hmmm

Odom was really good, he won't cost anything, the salary cap basically doesn't exist anymore. you want to win, go try to win.

DBroncos4life
06-12-2012, 09:27 PM
consider quality

We have ZERO pass rushing DE's off the bench. We have a number of DT's that can stop the run. Just because you don't think they are quality doesn't mean they can't get the job done.

DBroncos4life
06-12-2012, 09:32 PM
If Doom is lost what do we do to replace that void? All I know is if Balt is watching and seeing what he can bring to their team we need to be too.

baja
06-12-2012, 09:55 PM
If Doom is lost what do we do to replace that void? All I know is if Balt is watching and seeing what he can bring to their team we need to be too.

Well you make a good argument. Wouldn't hurt to bring him in (If he would chose us over Bmore)

If he can earn a roster spot, fine.

Call Elway and tell him I said it's OK will ya.

NorCalBronco7
06-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Fox loves pass rushers, and I would like to really know what he thinks of Robert Ayers.

Odom would be the 3rd best end instantly. Is he worth a couple mil? Not sure when reading about all the games he missed. But there was a time when Odom was a beast.

ward63
06-13-2012, 03:35 AM
We are not going to get any starters out of free agency anymore (at least I hope not) so any guys that we can get rotationally would be great! Give him a look and see what happens. Not the old Odom, then say thanks for your time. If it is the old Odom, then its Courtney Brown 2.0

hambone13
06-13-2012, 05:59 AM
From this article - Broncos w/ an eye on him apparently.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19338897

Similarly, teams are eyeing Odom as a possible value play, though he is much further removed from his top form. Odom suffered from wrist issues and had his career derailed by having a pin put in the wrong spot during a surgery when he was a Bengal, according to his agent, Tony Agnone, "that resulted in a worker's comp settlement."
Odom, 30, hasn't played more than a half season since 2008 and has only 10 appearances since 2009, but began lifting weights again several weeks ago. Teams like Baltimore and Denver are watching, knowing how little pass rush help is generally available. It makes sense, considering Odom racked up eight sacks in six games in 2009.
"He will be ready to go in July," Agnone said. "He's starting to get into the full mode now."

He just started lifting weights several weeks ago? WTF It is the NFL.

Drek
06-13-2012, 06:41 AM

Exactly. Its not my money. If Odom is even close to his '09 form he's a nice situational upgrade.

Amazes me all the people who were concerned about peyton manning's neck after missing only 1 season the sky hardly played at all in the last 3 and they want him to come in....
Manning = ~$20M per year, multi-year contract with large signing bonuses.

Odom = <$1M for one year. Nothing guaranteed, no signing bonuses.

See the difference?

I'm sure the potential Odom could offer is greater than our worst camp body at DE. Therefore if the cost is low enough (which I'm sure it will be) it's in the team's best interest to replace said weakest DE link with Odom.

He's a worthwhile buy low opportunity who offers a skill set (down lineman who can get after the QB) that every team in the NFL needs.

Bronco Rob
06-13-2012, 07:38 AM

This.

:thumbs: