PDA

View Full Version : The Official U.S. Open thread

ZONA
06-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Can't wait for next weekend. The U.S. Open going back to the venue where there hasn't been so much controversy since the last U.S. Open held there. Remember those greens back in 98, holy cow. The course is setting up a bit different this time. Obviously lengthened some but now #1 is a par 4 and #17 now playing as a par 5. I just finished the virtual design of this course (which you should be able to play in a month or so at some golf shops which feature the Foresight simulators). This course plays tuff. Dogleg fairways that have fairways that slope against the dogleg, friggin big tall trees blocking shots at every turn and of course that lovely open rough.

I'll tell ya now, it's not going to be as easy as Congressional was last year. This course has alot more teeth, even if the weather is wet like it was for Congressional last year.

I'll say winning score will be about +4

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/index.html

http://www.bradleyjohnsonmemorialfoundation.org/img/gc_olyclub.jpg

broncogary
06-11-2012, 05:12 AM
Have you ever played the course?

Rohirrim
06-11-2012, 05:37 AM
I wouldn't place a dime on Tiger to win this one. This course requires the one thing he doesn't have, accuracy off the tee. Graeme McDowell would be my pick. Number one in driving accuracy on the tour.

ludo21
06-11-2012, 08:22 AM
FOWLER!!!

DENVERDUI55
06-11-2012, 08:34 AM
A ball striker will win this one. You have to be able to hit cut shots off draw lies and vice versa to postage stamp greens. Course will play really long too with bay area conditions. Jason Dufner is my choice even though he has no usopen history. Probably be a guy who always plays us opens well.

Garcia Bronco
06-11-2012, 10:20 AM
The Us Open is setup to protect par. It's ****ing hard and Tiger Woods has literally no shot to win other tahn he's allowed to enter the tourny

Swedish Extrovert
06-11-2012, 11:14 AM
You think the winner will be a +4?

How tough is this course? Rory won last year with a -16.

Anyway, I think it's pretty sweet they're pairing Tiger, Phil and Bubba together.... I like to see Tiger poised for the start of his comeback. I'll also be watching Rory and Rickie

broncogary
06-11-2012, 11:28 AM
You think the winner will be a +4?

How tough is this course? Rory won last year with a -16.

Anyway, I think it's pretty sweet they're pairing Tiger, Phil and Bubba together.... I like to see Tiger poised for the start of his comeback. I'll also be watching Rory and Rickie

-16 was a record and the course played very easy last year.

Stagger Lee
06-11-2012, 11:33 AM
The Us Open is setup to protect par. It's ****ing hard and Tiger Woods has literally no shot to win other tahn he's allowed to enter the tourny

He's won the thing 3 times. I wouldn't say he has no chance. He has more US Open victories than any other player in the field, so I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

DENVERDUI55
06-11-2012, 02:01 PM

I'm no Tiger fan but to say he has no chance is a joke. I'm not saying he is back but he plays tough golf courses well, scrambles well, and works the ball both ways better than anyone. He has a good chance here if you ask me and I don't like the guy.

Garcia Bronco
06-11-2012, 02:05 PM
He's won the thing 3 times. I wouldn't say he has no chance. He has more US Open victories than any other player in the field, so I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

The way he's playing....it's already over for him.

Garcia Bronco
06-11-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm no Tiger fan but to say he has no chance is a joke. I'm not saying he is back but he plays tough golf courses well, scrambles well, and works the ball both ways better than anyone. He has a good chance here if you ask me and I don't like the guy.

Not anymore. He's a shell of his former self. Watch him play. He's a complete ass out. I'll bet he drops his club on the tee 15 times this weekend. HE can no longer work the ball in either direction with any of the consistency he used to. He's wild off the tee....He might finish top 20....but to win....nope.

DENVERDUI55
06-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Not anymore. He's a shell of his former self. Watch him play. He's a complete ass out. I'll bet he drops his club on the tee 15 times this weekend. HE can no longer work the ball in either direction with any of the consistency he used to. He's wild off the tee....He might finish top 20....but to win....nope.

Yes he is a shell of himself and isn't as consistent, he does drop his club(which has no impact on winning a tournament), he is an ass(doesn't matter for winning though) but he can still win quite easily. He works the ball all 3 ways with all 3 trajectories better than anyone on tour. With his short game and imagination he will always contend at US opens.

ZONA
06-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Have you ever played the course?

Not in real life. I have played the course via the software I used to help create it. The lidar terrain data was accurate to within 1 foot so it's pretty darn accurate. I also created Congressional last year and just between the making of these two and comparing them I see Olympic as a much greater test of golf. The ball physics of the gaming software are really good. The development team is halfway through building a new engine and I believe this time next year they will have a video game available which will be the best available, even better then EA Sports Tiger Woods.

jonny1
06-12-2012, 08:40 AM
The way he's playing....it's already over for him.

Umm, you do realize he has won twice this year, on golf courses designed to be tough like US Open courses (Bay Hill and Memorial)?

And I believe he either led or was top 5 in total driving in both of those tournaments.

To say he has no chance is not realistic.

ZONA
06-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Umm, you do realize he has won twice this year, on golf courses designed to be tough like US Open courses (Bay Hill and Memorial)?

And I believe he either led or was top 5 in total driving in both of those tournaments.

To say he has no chance is not realistic.

Yeah, I would't go as far as saying he has no chance. It all just depends on if he's got it going or not. If he does, he of course has a chance. But I will say this, probably one of the tightest courses with some really narrow windows. I know ball striking and driving accuracy has been mentioned as key things to winning but I think the winner is also going to have some good scoring in the scrambling department.

ZONA
06-14-2012, 02:59 AM
so watcha guys think of #13 with the left side shaved to the creek? Fair or not? It might be close to fair now but when these greens dry out come Sat and Sun, this hole could be epic.

BroncsCheer
06-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Woods tied for 2nd, one stroke back thru 15 holes. Tis is his best start this year.

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-14-2012, 11:58 AM

Maybe you should've said this for the other 2 players in his group. Tiger is hitting every fairway. He went holes 1-6 at -1. Let's see how many players are in the red after that stretch of holes.

DENVERDUI55
06-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Maybe you should've said this for the other 2 players in his group. Tiger is hitting every fairway. He went holes 1-6 at -1. Let's see how many players are in the red after that stretch of holes.

He is just anti tiger making shiat up. I quit after he said he has no chance at winning.

Mountain Bronco
06-14-2012, 01:00 PM
4 back but in second, I would say he has a shot. Lefty struggled today and a lot of golf left to play.

DENVERDUI55
06-14-2012, 01:59 PM
4 back but in second, I would say he has a shot. Lefty struggled today and a lot of golf left to play.

He leads in my opinion. Thompson will implode. Someone always goes low that is a no name then disappears. Going to be great tournament in my opinion. Weather is good all week in sfo.

ZONA
06-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Bubba +8
Rory +7
Phil +6

WOW

Cmac821
06-14-2012, 10:26 PM
That course is ridiculous, with those massive back to back par 5's on the back. People teeing off with irons just to hit the fairway because the rough in not forgiving

Swedish Extrovert
06-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Bubba +8
Rory +7
Phil +6

WOW

Damn... in for a schock I guess when I start watching tomorrow.

DENVERDUI55
06-15-2012, 09:08 AM
That course is ridiculous, with those massive back to back par 5's on the back. People teeing off with irons just to hit the fairway because the rough in not forgiving

Course is actually pretty fair. Only the one par 5 is a monster. the other was always a par 4 instead of converting number 1 and guys only having 220 to get on it in two.

BroncsCheer
06-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Not very many birdies to be had out there.

This is the way the US Open should be set up.

What a course!

ludo21
06-15-2012, 09:24 AM
golf guy on dan patrick show stated that the two top groups have a combined score of
+32..

top 2 meaning tiger group, and luke donald group
ouch!

Broncos dude
06-15-2012, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't place a dime on Tiger to win this one. This course requires the one thing he doesn't have, accuracy off the tee. Graeme McDowell would be my pick. Number one in driving accuracy on the tour.

Great pick +1 through 2 rds. He will be there come Sunday

DENVERDUI55
06-15-2012, 04:05 PM

Tiger is top 25 in accuracy on the year and one of the top if not the top in total driving. You know this I'm sure though.

BroncsCheer
06-15-2012, 04:42 PM
The feed from ESPN is the schiznit on my iPad.

:thumbsup:

BroncsCheer
06-15-2012, 06:46 PM
That was fun watching the bubba, phil, tiger threesome throughout the round. Could have done without the commentary of that codger in the booth but it stayed a solid stream the whole time and very few commercials.

I've never watched a whole round like that - every shot from all 3 players. Since they don't cut to another player, there is lots of open mic time as the players walk between shots so you get these B rated voice talent schmoes - but it was pretty cool to set this up at my desk and watch, ahem, I mean work.

;)

ZONA
06-16-2012, 04:02 AM
You get the sense Tiger's confidence over the past few months has slowing been coming back. I know he's been reworking his swing and all that but I think the bad play these past few years has had alot to do with confidence. He's smelling the blood in the water now.

http://quantumhydration.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/great-white-shark-1.png

DENVERDUI55
06-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Going to be a great finish. I think Tiger's iron's and short game shot him out yesterday unless the top of the pack choke's big time. I see Furyk or GMAC pulling this out but keep an eye on Westwood and even Dufner.

Rohirrim
06-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Tiger is top 25 in accuracy on the year and one od the top if not the top in total driving. You know this I'm sure though.

Which is why he only played his driver three times on this course. He must not believe in his own stats.

DENVERDUI55
06-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Which is why he only played his driver three times on this course. He must not believe in his own stats.

Why would he hit driver on that course? It plays pretty short and requires shaping shots. It's easier to shape shots with a 3 wood. 7 and 18 put aren't driver holes. By him not having to hit driver makes Garcia's statement even more absurd. It's his wedge and short game that let him down yesterday not the tee shots.

TDmvp
06-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Nice chip Tiger , you jackass ...

http://mexico.cnn.com/media/2011/02/15/tiger-woods.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YYE_ctguB40/T1uscQUo9II/AAAAAAAAKWk/uC9QDDAMHwA/s400/simpsons-haha.gif

ZONA
06-17-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't think it's any coincidence that many former US Open champs are among the top of the score card. Some guys just have that mental toughness to withstand the brutal rollercoaster for this tournament. Some have falled a bit today but at end of yesterday, all these guys were easily right there.

J. Furyk

G. McDowell

E. Els

R. Goosen

T. Woods

Swedish Extrovert
06-17-2012, 03:48 PM
WTH happened to Tiger? Wasn't he leading after two rounds?

Broncobiv
06-17-2012, 03:50 PM
WTH happened to Tiger? Wasn't he leading after two rounds?

5 over in round 3 and absolutely abyssmal so far today.

Swedish Extrovert
06-17-2012, 03:51 PM
It'l be nice to see Furyk win another Open...

I like Jacobsson, too, though.

eddie mac
06-17-2012, 03:51 PM
ffs GMac that was a bad bogey there after a great tee shot with an unlucky bounce. Get your **** together boy.

Broncobiv
06-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Let's go Furyk!

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/30/603/full/2422.gif

DryHeat
06-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Let's go Furyk!

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/30/603/full/2422.gif

Hell yeah!

OrangeSe7en
06-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Does anyone know if Hossler has the kind of game that can also translate to other courses? I know he's young and his game might evolve but, as of now, would he have the length off the tees to compete on the more typical courses? That kid is one of the most impressionable things about this tournament.

OrangeSe7en
06-17-2012, 04:43 PM
It's like the tournament is just starting now that everyone is past the first 6 holes.

Swedish Extrovert
06-17-2012, 06:11 PM
These greens are impossible... Thick roughs.... And the elevation shifts. This course is crazy...

I wonder what it would be like playing it with those old school wooden clubs. I can't imagine people playing a course like this in the 1900s.

enjolras
06-17-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm in SF this weekend. The weather just got really...****ty. Furyk needs to get in the clubhouse and quick.

Swedish Extrovert
06-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Nice rooster guy at the end.

Garcia Bronco
06-17-2012, 09:35 PM
NaNaNaNa....No chance.

He's an ordinary Pro now.

ZONA
06-18-2012, 01:48 AM
My final thoughts on today.....

How about that green misread on 18 by GMAC. It was a slight break left and he played it left of the hole, by a good amount even. Was doomed even before he hit it.

Kinda felt bad for Westwood. Unlucky break there on #5, kinda derailed him for a bit. The 2nd LEE to have a ball stuck up in that tree on a US Open. It was called the Lee Janzen tree. Now it's just going to be called the LEE tree........hahaha.

On coverage today they said when they trimmed one of the trees on the 8th green, that 105 balls fell out and hit the ground...........OMG!!! Seriously? That's the kind of number you expect to hear when they're fishing balls from a pond or lake, not a tree.....lol.

Webb sure was miffed at that loser fan eh? Congrats to him though, played great on the weekend.

eddie mac
06-18-2012, 02:23 AM
Terrible final round from GMac shoulda won that, both he and Furyk basically handed it to Simpson.

Rohirrim
06-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Terrible final round from GMac shoulda won that, both he and Furyk basically handed it to Simpson.

Nope. It was god that did it. Didn't you hear Simpson afterwards, praising the lord? ugh!~

Cito Pelon
06-18-2012, 07:39 AM

Furyk lost strokes again on the final holes, he's done it before. Of course, he's not the only leader to do that in majors. But I like to see the leader buckle down, concentrate, and finish strongly. It's painful to watch the leader implode on the last few holes.

Smiling Assassin27
06-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Sorry, but when the course difficulty is the focal point--along with bad golf for 4 days--I don't find the US Open compelling. Things like shotmaking make golf watchable and for 4 days, it just wasn't there. Waiting to see if anyone will even finish the tournament under par makes for bad shots and watching guys fall apart (furyk, woods, et al) really ought not be the predominant theme of a major. Watching the eventual winner succed because the rest of the field slipped back was unwatchable. I get that the US Open has the reputation of being 'tough golf', but at some point, you have to understand that people watch to see the players win with quality shots on challenging courses, not win by attrition on courses that even they can't naviagate under par.

Blech.

Rohirrim
06-18-2012, 08:10 AM
How does McDowell misread that putt that badly? Last putt in a major tournament to tie the lead and he hits it up the wrong side of the hole?

DENVERDUI55
06-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Sorry, but when the course difficulty is the focal point--along with bad golf for 4 days--I don't find the US Open compelling. Things like shotmaking make golf watchable and for 4 days, it just wasn't there. Waiting to see if anyone will even finish the tournament under par makes for bad shots and watching guys fall apart (furyk, woods, et al) really ought not be the predominant theme of a major. Watching the eventual winner succed because the rest of the field slipped back was unwatchable. I get that the US Open has the reputation of being 'tough golf', but at some point, you have to understand that people watch to see the players win with quality shots on challenging courses, not win by attrition on courses that even they can't naviagate under par.

Blech.

Well in reality Simpson finished 7 under par. USGA makes a par 72 course par 70 with no changes. There is 8 strokes right there.

Smiling Assassin27
06-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Well in reality Simpson finished 7 under par. USGA makes a par 72 course par 70 with no changes. There is 8 strokes right there.

It's still ugly to watch, regardless of what the scores would be for a 'regular' round.

jonny1
06-18-2012, 09:37 AM
It's still ugly to watch, regardless of what the scores would be for a 'regular' round.

It's all in your point of view.

I loved it.

DENVERDUI55
06-18-2012, 11:29 AM
That was a very fair course. Guys fell apart due to pressure of the major. That was a great tournament.

Cito Pelon
06-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Blech.

Well yeah, that's the point of the US Open. The best shotmaker wins the Tourney. You have to get to precise landing spots off the tee, and often with your second or third shot. They'll give you the green, generally make it soft and playable, but don't go off the green.

And don't gag when you're in the lead going into the final holes. Someone may get lucky, so don't gag. It's a different tournament than all the other majors, just like the British Open is different.

broncogary
06-18-2012, 03:49 PM
How does McDowell misread that putt that badly? Last putt in a major tournament to tie the lead and he hits it up the wrong side of the hole?

Yeah. I laughed as soon as he hit it even though I was rooting for him to make it.

ZONA
06-18-2012, 11:27 PM
That was a very fair course. Guys fell apart due to pressure of the major. That was a great tournament.

It was a very difficult course but I would agree, it was fair. Part of the tough play is obviously the course but the other half, just as you mention, is the pressure of the tournament itself and what's at stake. Can't blame the course for all the bad shots. You just have to pick your spots. And sorry but if guys fall apart the final round, that's part of the game. That's why there are 4 rounds. Best total score wins. Usually there are plenty of bad shots per round for every golfer that are just stupid mental mistakes (such as GMAC's putt on 18). The great thing about golf is there is nobody to blame but yourself if you don't win.

And as far as the I want to see guys making shots thing, well we get that almost every damn week. Nice to see a change of pace where it's a brutal test and not guys just playing lawn darts out there.

DENVERDUI55
06-19-2012, 07:47 AM
It was a very difficult course but I would agree, it was fair. Part of the tough play is obviously the course but the other half, just as you mention, is the pressure of the tournament itself and what's at stake. Can't blame the course for all the bad shots. You just have to pick your spots. And sorry but if guys fall apart the final round, that's part of the game. That's why there are 4 rounds. Best total score wins. Usually there are plenty of bad shots per round for every golfer that are just stupid mental mistakes (such as GMAC's putt on 18). The great thing about golf is there is nobody to blame but yourself if you don't win.

And as far as the I want to see guys making shots thing, well we get that almost every damn week. Nice to see a change of pace where it's a brutal test and not guys just playing lawn darts out there.

Exactly, the course didn't require guys to hit driver. As far as the other poster saying Tiger didn't trust his driver nobody was hitting driver other than a few holes because the hard fairways allowed them to hit 3 wood/utilities to 300 plus yards with more accuracy. You could see GMAC lined up left on his putt on 18 which was too bad I wanted a playoff yesterday. I mentioned before 281 the winning score is normally 7 under par in normal tournaments. People get too hung up on relation to par vs total strokes.

Swedish Extrovert
06-20-2012, 12:00 PM
For me, this was the best part:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/90g0qmWrf-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

myMind
06-20-2012, 12:26 PM
For me, this was the best part:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/90g0qmWrf-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So jumping in front of a camera and being a jackass puts that guy in jail while being a jackass with a camera filming celebrities is a profession. What a country we live in.

Cito Pelon
06-20-2012, 05:57 PM
It's hard to watch golf tourneys these days because of the loudmouth fans. A player tees off and you hear some idiot yelling "In the hole! Get in the hole!" Or some such thing. Every shot some idiot has to yell something.

rbackfactory80
06-20-2012, 06:29 PM
US Open is the greatest test/ tournament of golf. Enjoyed it greatly but wanted Els or Lee to win.

Swedish Extrovert
06-20-2012, 07:21 PM
It's hard to watch golf tourneys these days because of the loudmouth fans. A player tees off and you hear some idiot yelling "In the hole! Get in the hole!" Or some such thing. Every shot some idiot has to yell something.

Or last year it was "Rory, Rory, Rory!!!!"