PDA

View Full Version : Some Pre-Camp Final Roster Guesses

montrose
06-09-2012, 12:28 PM
A few nuggets I gathered this week from various interviews led me to my first time-wasting 53-man guess. So let's cut some guys before they've even practiced!

* Don't be surprised at a more veteran-laden team than we've seen in the past few years. The Manning signing means the team is in win-now mode so where in years past a UDFA backup may get the benefit over an aging vet, that may no longer be the case.

* Often we focused on special teams for the final players to round out the roster. However with the move up in kickoffs and playing at altitude, less emphasis may be placed here than in the past. This might help an older skilled player or extra line,an stick around.

(3) QB: Peyton Manning, Caleb Hanie, Brock Osweiler

Just as last year, they don't have to officially declare a #2, I don't expect they will. Weber to PS again if they can sneak him through.

(4) RB: Willis McGahee, Ronnie Hillman, Lance Ball, Chris Gronkowski [FB]

I believe Moreno will be dealt late in the preseason for a late-conditional pick or in a swap for backup at another position. New England and Indy are possibilities. Fannin's got a shot but my guess is they try for PS unless he really explodes in preseason games.

(3) WR: Demaryius Thomas, Bubba Caldwell, Jason Hill
(3) WR: Eric Decker, Brandon Stokley, Matt Willis

Normally I wouldn't think Stokley  makes it but on this Manning- team I think he starts as the slot WR. I also go with Hill over the Dell/Goodwin crowd because of his experience. I think Robinson's got a good shot for the PS.

(1) TE: Joel Dreessen, Virgil Green*
(2) TE: Jacob Tamme, Julius Thomas

Pretty easy, although if Thomas isn't ready for camp I wouldn't be surprised if he was PuP'ed (has to be before camp) and Ingram or Miller stands in as the backup "Flex TE"

(2) LT: Ryan Clady, Chris Clark
(1) LG: Zane Beadles
(2) C: JD Walton, Philip Blake
(2) RG: Chris Kuper, CJ Davis
(2) RT: Orlando Franklin, Ryan Harris

Veteran depth outside Blake who could seriously push to start. Went with the veteran Davis in case Kuper is slow coming back from injury

(2) DE: Elvis Dumervil, Jason Hunter
(2) DT: Justin Bannan, Sealver Siliga
(2) DT: Kevin Vickerson, Ty Warren
(3) DE: Derek Wolfe, Robert Ayers, Malik Jackson

I expect heavy rotation and think we'll see Wolfe at DE in the base a lot. Remember, the Broncos very much subscribe to theory it's a passing league and expect to be in the lead a lot. That means Wolfe at DT and Miller at DE. Interested to see if Beal's gotten any better.

(2) WLB: DJ Williams*, Wesley Woodyard, Danny Trevathan
(2) MLB: Joe Mays, Nate Irving
(1) SLB: Von Miller

I'm thinking with Haggan gone and Von pass rushing a lot, DJ may be moving to Sam quite a bit or they might look to bring in a vet closer to camp, maybe via trade.

(3) CB: Champ Bailey, Chris Harris, Omar Bolden
(2) FS: Mike Adams, Rahim Moore
(3) SS: Quinton Carter, David Bruton, Rafeal Bush
(3) CB: Tracy Porter, Drayton Florence, Syd'Quan Thompson

Remember, their emphasis is the pass and Elway's comments you can't have enough good DBs in today's NFL and he believes they were killed when teams spread them out last year.

(1) K: Matt Prater
(1) P: Britton Colquitt
(1) DS: Lonie Paxton

* Suspended

baja
06-09-2012, 12:49 PM
What's you take on the future of Weber Montrose?

pricejj
06-09-2012, 01:10 PM
The only problem is you have 26 on Offense.

1. Only keep 5 WR's
2. Fannin over Ball
3. Judie over Thompson
4. Cut Bush when D.J. comes back (if D.J. isn't suspended Bush doesn't make the team)

Otherwise, I agree completely with your analysis.

SoCalBronco
06-09-2012, 01:13 PM
The MethWolfe is already projected to be ahead of Ayers?

Kaylore
06-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Montrose, shouldn't you be getting ready for your wedding? I'm already dressed for it...

SoCalBronco
06-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Montrose, shouldn't you be getting ready for your wedding? I'm already dressed for it...

Wow...congrats to Montrose! :strong:

Awesome ^5

gyldenlove
06-09-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't think keeping 3 RBs is an option, it is a position with a very high rate of attrition especially with someone who is over 30 and a rookie carrying the load.

6 WRs is an option, but since neither Jason Hill or Willis are ST aces, I doubt we keep both if Stokley makes the roster. We have some good WR depth who can go on PS.

If Kuper is ready to go for TC and all 5 presumed starters make it through camp and preseason we will only have 8 OL on the roster. Blake is a utility backup for the interior positions.

I don't buy the 5-11 split between linebackers and DBs, you always need extra linebackers. My guess right now would be Bush or Bruton gets cut and we keep either Jerry Franklin or Mike Mohammed on the roster - alternatively if we do trade Moreno we keep the LB we get back in return.

TonyR
06-09-2012, 02:46 PM
^ You read my mind, gylden. Perhaps a little light at RB and LB, a little heavy at WR and DB.

Bacchus
06-09-2012, 04:04 PM
I don't think keeping 3 RBs is an option, it is a position with a very high rate of attrition especially with someone who is over 30 and a rookie carrying the load.

6 WRs is an option, but since neither Jason Hill or Willis are ST aces, I doubt we keep both if Stokley makes the roster. We have some good WR depth who can go on PS.

If Kuper is ready to go for TC and all 5 presumed starters make it through camp and preseason we will only have 8 OL on the roster. Blake is a utility backup for the interior positions.

I don't buy the 5-11 split between linebackers and DBs, you always need extra linebackers. My guess right now would be Bush or Bruton gets cut and we keep either Jerry Franklin or Mike Mohammed on the roster - alternatively if we do trade Moreno we keep the LB we get back in return.

I do not think Stokley makes the roster. I think he was brought in for his leadership in training camp.

Kaylore
06-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Montrose is officially married, folks. No joke, his wedding colors are orange and blue.

SouthStndJunkie
06-09-2012, 04:59 PM

I think Eric Page makes the regular season roster.

gyldenlove
06-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Montrose is officially married, folks. No joke, his wedding colors are orange and blue.

Lets have a last salute for a fallen bachelor *whip*.

missingnumber7
06-09-2012, 08:00 PM
I do not think Stokley makes the roster. I think he was brought in for his leadership in training camp.

The same thing was said last time, and that was his best season in Denver. I think his knowledge of what Manning does, and how things work in Denver keep him around.

Montrose you think we'll see more single back than usual with a TE motioned to do the lead blocking to make more recieving options for Manning, similar to what was used in Indy?

Also didn't they expand the rosters this year?

Bacchus
06-09-2012, 08:08 PM
The same thing was said last time, and that was his best season in Denver. I think his knowledge of what Manning does, and how things work in Denver keep him around.

Montrose you think we'll see more single back than usual with a TE motioned to do the lead blocking to make more recieving options for Manning, similar to what was used in Indy?

Also didn't they expand the rosters this year?

I guess I am hoping that one of the young guys steps up. It would be nice to have a breakout season by Page or someone.

El Jué
06-09-2012, 08:12 PM
(3) QB: Peyton Manning, Caleb Hanie, Brock Osweiler

I know that this is the truth, but it just looks like so much worse an idea when they're all bunched together like that.

missingnumber7
06-09-2012, 11:11 PM
I guess I am hoping that one of the young guys steps up. It would be nice to have a breakout season by Page or someone.

I sure would be nice to have Eddie around...I think he is more reliable than DT and fear DT will do something to get himself in trouble sooner rather than later.

Bacchus
06-09-2012, 11:38 PM
I sure would be nice to have Eddie around...I think he is more reliable than DT and fear DT will do something to get himself in trouble sooner rather than later.

I agree, I think Royal is going to be a great all-around threat for the Chuggers. I hope he doesn't burn Denver.

Mogulseeker
06-10-2012, 01:23 AM
Too much invested in Moreno for him not to make the squad. Fannin makes the team after Moreno gets injured.

Bacchus
06-10-2012, 01:26 AM
Too much invested in Moreno for him not to make the squad. Fannin makes the team after Moreno gets injured.

Elway does not have anything invested in Moreno. Personally, I think Moreno could trive in this offense but if he does not produce Elway, Fox will have no problem whatsoever showing him the door.

Mogulseeker
06-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Elway does not have anything invested in Moreno. Personally, I think Moreno could trive in this offense but if he does not produce Elway, Fox will have no problem whatsoever showing him the door.

Moreno is first round talent, and makes pennies. It doesn't make sense to cut him just yet. Especially in this new offense.

Bacchus
06-10-2012, 01:54 AM
Moreno is first round talent, and makes pennies. It doesn't make sense to cut him just yet. Especially in this new offense.

Alphonso Smith was a first round draft pick as well. If Moreno doesn't produce they'll cut him with no regrets.

Rabb
06-10-2012, 08:16 AM

So we either have too much invested in him or he's here for pennies, which is it?

Good riddance I say.

eddie mac
06-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Congrats Montrose.

ward63
06-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Moreno can be Peyton's new Addia

Hulamau
06-10-2012, 01:24 PM

I think Eric Page makes the regular season roster.

they might keep him as a KR who also plays some slot.

Sounds like Stokley has a leg up for this 'win now' season with his connection and rhythm with Manning .. not to mention he is an invaluable teacher for the other WRs in helping then grasp and understand much quicker all the ins and outs of playing WR for the Maestro.

cutthemdown
06-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Moreno won't make much this year so I think he sticks on the roster. The other possibility would be to trade him for a 12th round pick in 1984. Oh I mean just cut him.

Also I think the WR from Cinci Caldwell makes the team over Willis or Jason Hill.

Tombstone RJ
06-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Moreno is third round talent, and makes pennies. It doesn't make sense to cut him just yet. Especially in this new offense.

fyp

cutthemdown
06-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Moreno can be Peyton's new Addia

Nope Hillman will play on 3rd downs. I think Moreno can be a bkup to both tailback and 3rd down back though because hes cheap and in last yr of his deal.

Tombstone RJ
06-10-2012, 01:38 PM
What doesn't make a whole lot of sense is the FB Gronkowski taking up a roster spot. Be that as it may, I see Fannin definitely making the team if he stays healthy. The bubble RBs will be Ball and Jer Johnson.

cutthemdown
06-10-2012, 01:41 PM
What doesn't make a whole lot of sense is the FB Gronkowski taking up a roster spot. Be that as it may, I see Fannin definitely making the team if he stays healthy. The bubble RBs will be Ball and Jer Johnson.

can the poor mans Gronk play special teams. If he does then it makes sense, if not I agree sort of strange to keep a FB around if you won't be running 2 back sets. Even short yardage manning throws a lot.

pricejj
06-10-2012, 05:11 PM
According to Gronk's presser, Manning, "always wanted a FB" in Indy, that doesn't make a ton of sense considering the success he had without one.

Adding Gronk is McCoy's personal "touch" to Manning's Offense. My guess is, it works out just about as well as McCoy's running attack did without Tebow.

errand
06-10-2012, 06:32 PM

If Moreno could ever stay of the injured list he'd probably produce....having said that if he's healthy and shows he can stay that way, he'll make the roster. But I will also say he'll be the odd man out if they decide to trade a RB, mainly because elway didn't draft him, he's got a DUI and possible suspension coming, and he's always finding ways to get hurt....

errand
06-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Alphonso Smith was a first round draft pick as well. If Moreno doesn't produce they'll cut him with no regrets.

When healthy Moreno has produced above average numbers....perhaps not worthy of the 12th overall pick, but good enough to keep on the team. He was prior to his injury very dangerous in the open field...and does an adequate job blocking and catching....

2KBack
06-10-2012, 06:42 PM

What would make you wary of DT getting in trouble. I can't recall him ever having off the field issues. I'd be more worried about another injury

cutthemdown
06-10-2012, 06:53 PM
The problem with DT won't be off field trouble. It will be how do we pay him after he grabs 90 balls for 1400 yrds and 12 tds.

cutthemdown
06-10-2012, 06:56 PM
People have no idea how good DT is going to be. He's a huge sleeper that by draft day won't be a sleeper anymore. I doubt I will jump on him early enough because my league a keeper league and my 2 best players are Fitz and Calvin Johnson, but I bet DT really goes off this yr. He is primed for that huge 3rd yr breakout we often see from top end WR.

Rother8
06-10-2012, 08:20 PM
People have no idea how good DT is going to be. He's a huge sleeper that by draft day won't be a sleeper anymore. I doubt I will jump on him early enough because my league a keeper league and my 2 best players are Fitz and Calvin Johnson, but I bet DT really goes off this yr. He is primed for that huge 3rd yr breakout we often see from top end WR.

Just curious- do you keep 2 then? I'm in a keeper league and we do 4. I don't like it but I've never been able to come up with a better idea.

Bigdawg26
06-10-2012, 08:41 PM
I would love to see Moore beat out Mike Adams for the FS spot. He is more athletic and has the potential to be more rangy. I just hope he added some bulk to his frame. I would love to see him at 200-210 to be able to finish some tackles in run support. He is a willing tackler, but he doesn't have the size to back it up yet.

Punisher
06-10-2012, 08:48 PM
(2) WLB: DJ Williams*, Wesley Woodyard, Danny Trevathan
(2) MLB: Joe Mays, Nate Irving
(1) SLB: Von Miller

That's a pretty weak Linebacking crop besides Miller and maybe Woodyard I really can't believe we passed on Hightower but that's water under the bridge i hope Elway picks someone up in FA