PDA

View Full Version : 2,000 Former Players Suing the NFL

Rohirrim
06-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Say goodbye to the game as you knew it. http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/07/2000-players-unify-in-suing-nfl-over-head-injuries/

"Our legal team will review today's filing that is intended to consolidate plaintiffs' existing claims into one "master" complaint," he said. "The NFL has long made player safety a priority and continues to do so. Any allegation that the NFL sought to mislead players has no merit. It stands in contrast to the league's many actions to better protect players and advance the science and medical understanding of the management and treatment of concussions."

Kaylore
06-07-2012, 09:34 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WCkOmcIl79s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheReverend
06-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Offer them the same disability compensation veterans get for service connected disabilities.

Would be hilarious to see a former NFL player explain why he deserves exponentially more money from playing a big $ career game than someone half blown up for peanuts in our nation's defense.

GreatBronco16
06-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Offer them the same disability compensation veterans get for service connected disabilities.

Would be hilarious to see a former NFL player explain why he deserves exponentially more money from playing a big $ career game than someone half blown up for peanuts in our nation's defense.

QFT!!!!! REP!!!!!

Rohirrim
06-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Anybody who started playing football in high school and doesn't know anything about the threat of concussions didn't have much of a brain to start with.

Heyneck
06-07-2012, 09:57 AM
yup... to me most of this players are just after the easy money.

BroncoMan4ever
06-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Anybody who started playing football in high school and doesn't know anything about the threat of concussions didn't have much of a brain to start with.

damn right. although if this does work in the players favor and they get paid, i may seriously consider litigation against my jr high and high school for the concussions i got while playing for them.

i mean really, what kind off idiot didn't realize slamming into other men as big and bigger than you at full speed didn't hurt and could potentially lead to injury? and who doesn't know that injuries suffered in youth tend to get worse with age?

Heyneck
06-07-2012, 10:27 AM
damn right. although if this does work in the players favor and they get paid, i may seriously consider litigation against my jr high and high school for the concussions i got while playing for them.

i mean really, what kind off idiot didn't realize slamming into other men as big and bigger than you at full speed didn't hurt and could potentially lead to injury? and who doesn't know that injuries suffered in youth tend to get worse with age?

I know right? Is not like hockey hasn't given us clues over the last few decades.

houghtam
06-07-2012, 10:30 AM
If the NFL ever negotiated a uniform deal where they sacrificed safety for cost, that will be all the evidence the plaintiffs need, IMO.

The result of this suit is definitely going to have wide-ranging effects on the sport, and not just at the NFL level. As discussed in another thread, if the NFL loses the case, their talent pool will get much, much smaller as high schools and youth football programs who don't want to assume the risk decide to just fold their teams or consolidate leagues. Colleges who used to only accept the 4.5 guy will have to start looking at the 4.6 guys, etc.

This is going to be a huge deal when the trial is finally over in about 12 years. LOL

Beantown Bronco
06-07-2012, 10:42 AM
If the NFL ever negotiated a uniform deal where they sacrificed safety for cost, that will be all the evidence the plaintiffs need, IMO.

It's my understanding that the league only has deals set in place with the makers of the jerseys, not the pads and helmets. The players themselves choose which style and brand of helmets and pads they want to wear.

Kaylore
06-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Here's the issue to me. Is the league partially responsible for player safety? Yes. Was the league negligent during the past 30 years? I would say since the NFL has steadily become more and more weak-sauce, no. Nor do I think "they covered everything up" since what we knew about concussions even ten years ago was not much.

houghtam
06-07-2012, 10:50 AM
It's my understanding that the league only has deals set in place with the makers of the jerseys, not the pads and helmets. The players themselves choose which style and brand of helmets and pads they want to wear.

Kind of. It looks like Riddell is the "Official" helmet of the NFL, but players are allowed to choose any company or style they like. However, if they choose a non-Riddell helmet, the team has to pay for it.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/02/helmet-company-believes-nfl-ha.html

Another interesting article I found stated that 40 percent of players last season wore the second lowest rated helmet there is.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-05-10-helmets-study_N.htm

This trial is going to be a fun watch. I hope it's televised. Someone post that Colbert gif of him eating popcorn, please.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Don't worry guys. The lawyers will make out like gangbusters regardless of the result.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-07-2012, 10:56 AM
We have this game we'd like you to play. But in order to keep your brain mostly functional for at least the duration of the game, you have to strap a protective shell to your head.

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-07-2012, 10:56 AM
I've started a lawsuit for us fans. Anyone that's ever had a headache or mental anguish watching an NFL game can jump aboard. Suing the NFL for mental and physical pain as a result of being a fan

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-07-2012, 11:03 AM

That's a really excellent point.

maher_tyler
06-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Say goodbye to the game as you knew it. http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/07/2000-players-unify-in-suing-nfl-over-head-injuries/

"Our legal team will review today's filing that is intended to consolidate plaintiffs' existing claims into one "master" complaint," he said. "The NFL has long made player safety a priority and continues to do so. Any allegation that the NFL sought to mislead players has no merit. It stands in contrast to the league's many actions to better protect players and advance the science and medical understanding of the management and treatment of concussions."

What a joke! It's like driving a car and not know the consequences of what could happen...it's like a Cop trying to sue the government cause he was shot.

They will now have to let players know in writing that they are playing a dangerous sport that could lead to long term, possibly life threatening injuries. Kinda like how McDonalds had to put that the contents in their coffee cups may be hot. What a joke!

SouthStndJunkie
06-07-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm guessing almost all 2,000 of them would line up to play again if given the chance.

Rohirrim
06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
We have this game we'd like you to play. But in order to keep your brain mostly functional for at least the duration of the game, you have to strap a protective shell to your head.

Excellent point. That should be the first question the NFL counselor asks. Get one of those players up on the stand and say, "Mr. So-and-So, when you started playing for your team did they provide you with a helmet?

Player: Yes.

Counselor: And did you wear the helmet while playing?

Player: Yes.

Counselor: And what was the purpose of that helmet?

Player: Uhh

GoBroncos DownUnder
06-07-2012, 04:06 PM
I feel bad for the players who have legitimate issues from their years of playing, but the "problem" here is all the hangers-on who want a free ride for the rest of their life!

My all-time favorite "former player" story goes something like this:
Mike Ditka stands up there at a media press conference (circa 2007) and talks about how the NFL is letting down former players, and then presents a former 2nd round pick for the Jacksonville Jags, Brian DeMarco.
DeMarco talks about how his family have struggled, etc, etc. We all feel bad, it's a really unfortunate story for the guy, after he played 5 years he now has massive medical bills, and walks with a cane.
Their whole point is that they want a fund established to help retired players.
BUT - when journalists go to some Jags players ... it turns out that DeMarco had been GIVEN (atleast 3) jobs with companies owned by players, and he'd blown off the jobs every time ... seems like he just figured he shouldn't have to "work" like everyone else.

Here's the link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2900936

GoBroncos DownUnder
06-07-2012, 04:09 PM
They will now have to let players know in writing that they are playing a dangerous sport that could lead to long term, possibly life threatening injuries.
It's already written on the back of EVERY SINGLE helmet, they ever put on!

Tombstone RJ
06-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Unfortunately I think much of this is just about getting more $$ from the NFL. Anyone with common sense knows that American football is a violent sport and the helmet, shoulder pads and other protective equipment is the first clue that potential injuries can occure. Sure, it's worse in the NFL than say in HS but you are also being paid to play. No one put a gun to anyone's head and said "Play football or else!!!"

I think the only thing these players have is can they prove the NFL did NOT do everything it possibly could to protect the players from concussions? If the answer to that is no they did not do everything possible to protect the players from concussion then they may have a leg to stand on. However, they are going to have a very difficult time proving some kind of malice by the league, that is, the NFL systematically covered up head injuries and their effects in order to decieve the players.

lonestar
06-07-2012, 04:48 PM

If the league indeed said you have to use this helmet or those pads then they assume all risk for any future injuries..

they could recommend certain ones but to mandate a particualr make model not going to happen..

BroncoBuff
06-07-2012, 05:09 PM

Even worse, they probably can't even read. The warning below has been printed on, often even etched into the helmet itself since the 70s.

http://www.moonbattery.com/football-warning.jpg

To be fair though, players' real issue is the long-term effects of repetitive concussions.

Jason in LA
06-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I'd like to know how many of these guys are having financial problem. I bet most of them. This seems like a money grab. Bunch of broke guys who see an opportunity to get one more payday.

Bacchus
06-07-2012, 05:48 PM

That is not true. I suffered many concussions in high school and college and no trainer ever said anything to me. I never missed a practice. I did miss the second half of a game once after a concussion because I could not stand up, bu they had me practicing that Monday.

BroncoBuff
06-07-2012, 07:34 PM
That is not true. I suffered many concussions in high school and college and no trainer ever said anything to me. I never missed a practice. I did miss the second half of a game once after a concussion because I could not stand up, bu they had me practicing that Monday.

And that begs the question ...................

lonestar
06-07-2012, 08:47 PM
I'd like to know how many of these guys are having financial problem. I bet most of them. This seems like a money grab. Bunch of broke guys who see an opportunity to get one more payday.

IIRC I read an article that over 50% of those players that retired 5 or more years wind up filing for bankruptcy.

Here is a great article on money failures by NFL players

NFL Players Bankrupt: 10 Reasons Athletes May Go Broke Include Poor Counsel, Planning, Judgement

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/nfl-players-broke-bankrupt-reasons-money-planning_n_1558733.html

lonestar
06-07-2012, 08:49 PM

I've been wondering after reading some of your posts, this explains it..

houghtam
06-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Even worse, they probably can't even read. The warning below has been printed on, often even etched into the helmet itself since the 70s.

http://www.moonbattery.com/football-warning.jpg

To be fair though, players' real issue is the long-term effects of repetitive concussions.

This, except with the emphasis being on long-term effects of concussions so mild as to go unnoticed by medical professionals (or the athletes themselves).

UberBroncoMan
06-07-2012, 08:55 PM

So...****ing...win...

Bacchus
06-08-2012, 02:25 AM
I've been wondering after reading some of your posts, this explains it..

LOL..... yeah, I can understand that.:strong:

SoCalBronco
06-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Alot of this stuff is already being pursued outside of this suit. I note for example that TONS of former NFL players have filed workers compensation claims in California against teams they played for, because it is pretty liberal so far as workers comp benefits (prior to mid-2004, it was even more liberal, but it has been scaled back a little bit) and jurisdiction is obtained so long as the guy played any game in his career in CA.

The best benefit is probably the open award for future medical care for those body parts industrially injured (with concussions, you get into neurological/internal etc. and the costs can soar, which often include, but are not limited to the evil known as "home health care"...disclosure: I am biased on these issues, as I work on the defense/insurance side) especially for those guys who dont have insurance anymore.