PDA

View Full Version : OT: For all you computer geeks....good build in Tom's Hardware

55CrushEm
06-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Under $2000 ($1,741)....hellavu system.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3770k-overclock-geforce-gtx-680,3212.html

scorpio
06-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Looks solid. The Antec 900 has the worst cable management of any chassis ever made. Ever.

55CrushEm
06-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Looks solid. The Antec 900 has the worst cable management of any chassis ever made. Ever.

Really? Good to know.

I'm looking to build my own system (for the first time) and my budget would be about $2,000 tops.

Fedaykin
06-06-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm supposed to be impressed by something that takes no more work than going to newegg and looking for the top of the line part in every category and maybe, just maybe checking for the lowest price between makers?

glennst
06-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Really? Good to know.

I'm looking to build my own system (for the first time) and my budget would be about $2,000 tops.

The 680 GTX is a winner in both perf and thermals. I have 2 in my system :). Highly recommended!

55CrushEm
06-06-2012, 10:47 AM
The 680 GTX is a winner in both perf and thermals. I have 2 in my system :). Highly recommended!

Wow. Two??

I heard, however, that the 670 is still a great card and far cheaper. Not sure what I'll do.

What do you do that you need TWO 680's ??

55CrushEm
06-06-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm supposed to be impressed by something that takes no more work than going to newegg and looking for the top of the line part in every category and maybe, just maybe checking for the lowest price between makers?

Whatever, man. I'm FAR from a computer expert.....but I know enough to know that there's a LOT more to it than that. Tom's Hardware does all the benchmarking and test for noise and thermals. They are one of the most respected sources for HW and Tech news on the internet.

So glad you're here to give us your awesome, constructive opinion.

gyldenlove
06-06-2012, 10:51 AM

Has Antec ever made a case with good cable management? I have build rigs with 3 different antec cases and they all had atrocious cable management and space.

My old thermaltake box was so much nicer.

55CrushEm
06-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Has Antec ever made a case with good cable management? I have build rigs with 3 different antec cases and they all had atrocious cable management and space.

My brother builds his own systems.....he tells me he's into Corsair and Cooler Master. Cases are like cars.....there are millions and everyone has their favs.

Fedaykin
06-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Whatever, man. I'm FAR from a computer expert.....but I know enough to know that there's a LOT more to it than that. Tom's Hardware does all the benchmarking and test for noise and thermals. They are one of the most respected sources for HW and Tech news on the internet.

So glad you're here to give us your awesome, constructive opinion.

Being a real computer expert, and a hobbyist that has been assembling rigs for over 20 years, I can firmly say they didn't do anything to warrant an article here. Every component there is cookie cutter from the list of popular brands. Boring, click generating fluff.

Tom's used to be pretty great, 15 years ago, but they sold out hard.

55CrushEm
06-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Being a real computer expert, and a hobbyist that has been assembling rigs for over 20 years, I can firmly say they didn't do anything to warrant an article here. Every component there is cookie cutter from the list of popular brands. Boring, click generating fluff.

Tom's used to be pretty great, 15 years ago, but they sold out hard.

I bet you are absolutely right. They probably did just go buy popular stuff and not base it on any of their extensive reviews of all types of components regardless of popularity. I'm sure I must have been wrong in assuming that their articles and advice actually drive sales of parts and cause them to be popular. Could you please point out where on Newegg I could find benchmarking results of games and productivity software? I must have missed that. Thanks again...you should start your own blog or something!

Opinions vary.....

Fedaykin
06-06-2012, 11:50 AM
I bet you are absolutely right. They probably did just go buy popular stuff and not base it on any of their extensive reviews of all types of components regardless of popularity. I'm sure I must have been wrong in assuming that their articles and advice actually drive sales of parts and cause them to be popular. Could you please point out where on Newegg I could find benchmarking results of games and productivity software? I must have missed that. Thanks again...you should start your own blog or something!

Don't get your panties in a bunch, the article even admits it's a pop contest build.

Opinions vary.....

Irony

NFLBRONCO
06-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Just ordered my gtx 690 for my budget build on my 6690 post. :)

scorpio
06-06-2012, 12:09 PM

My 1100 is actually really good, but it's on the large side for a midtower. The 300 V2 is supposed to be decent also.

scorpio
06-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Just ordered my gtx 690 for my budget build on my 6690 post. :)

blargh, I bought a 570 in January. :cuss:

55CrushEm
06-06-2012, 12:37 PM
blargh, I bought a 570 in January. :cuss:

I still have a 9800 GTX+. Not a bad card....runs D3, Starcraft II on max settings.

Fedaykin
06-06-2012, 01:13 PM

The Performance One series (at least since the P182) has always been decent (but certainly not great) for cable management

The new P280 has what looks like very nice cable management. I've always enjoyed the styling and quiet computing aspects of that series of Antec cases, though the newer ones are steel instead of aluminum which makes them really heavy.

It's looks pretty much identical to the upscale Corsairs in terms of cable management (lots of room behind the MB, grommeted holes, etc.).

glennst
06-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Wow. Two??

I heard, however, that the 670 is still a great card and far cheaper. Not sure what I'll do.

What do you do that you need TWO 680's ??

BF3 on 3 24" monitors :). For a single monitor, a 670 is probably fine and will be a better value than a 680.

snowspot66
06-06-2012, 10:20 PM
My brother builds his own systems.....he tells me he's into Corsair and Cooler Master. Cases are like cars.....there are millions and everyone has their favs.

Cooler Master is great. Lots of places to tie cables and hide them away.

That One Guy
06-06-2012, 10:58 PM
I have to agree with Fedaykin here. I know just enough to be able to build a computer from components and manuals but don't do any overclocking or anything like that. That said, I've produced pretty good computers and am happily playing Diablo 3 on a computer that's ~3 years old and I've bought a ~$60 graphics card and added $50 in ram a week or two ago.

So, I have a VERY budget build from 3 years ago that still runs well, can play my games, and I've put just over a hundred bucks into the thing in the last year and they're gonna impress us that they can build a desktop for $1700? Congrats? I was actually more interested in the $600 gaming PC or whatever that was mentioned but I didn't see a link to it (but didn't try too hard).

If you've got the money, anyone can build a computer. $1700 for a tower is pretty silly these days so it's no accomplishment, really. To even get that high you pretty much have to be grabbing things as they come off the line (as it says they pretty much did).

Dr. Broncenstein
06-06-2012, 10:58 PM
For just a small upcharge, they could have gone with the tk421 modification. Kicks the system up 3-4 quads per channel.

Ratboy
06-06-2012, 11:18 PM

I came here to say this.

Go with a Corsair 650D.

Amazing.

Doggcow
06-06-2012, 11:22 PM
even if you buy a card today it'll be outdated in a week :P

That One Guy
06-06-2012, 11:54 PM
even if you buy a card today it'll be outdated in a week :P

Which is another reason why it's stupid to even consider a desktop this expensive. This week's model isn't a big increase over last week's model in anything but price. You'd have to be foolish many times over to blow $2k on a desktop build.

Willynowei
06-07-2012, 12:32 AM
No thanks.

2k+ comps are good to look at, but in terms of value you get 80%+ of the performance for less than half the price when you go w/ an i5/7870 based build.

Not that I ever build these things anymore now that the software makers no longer come up w/ anything that really stresses the hardware.

If you really want to build something for 2k+, its obviously to show off, in that case, you shouldn't be spending 2K, you should spend the full 3k and deck it out with lights, water cooling, a $300+ dollar case, and even an LCD temperature gauge in the front.

Go big or go home.

Stuck in Cali
06-07-2012, 12:36 AM
For just a small upcharge, they could have gone with the tk421 modification. Kicks the system up 3-4 quads per channel.

Classic!

I tend to like to have a fall back option when it comes to computers. Meaning I like having customer support, and have all the bells and whistles. So I went with a Falcon Northwest, its about 4 yrs old, never had a issue. People their are 1st class. And it can still play any mmo on ultra high settings. Best money I ever spent. And would again in a heartbeat. Nothing wrong with building one on your own, I just like having the piece of mind that a professional built it, and its not mass assembled product. Also, I would probably screw something up.

v2micca
06-07-2012, 04:44 AM
Just a personnel opinion, but if you are going to be spending this kind of money, I would recommend upgrading your main system drive to an SSD. Also, good luck finding a GTX 680 in stock anytime soon. Seriously Nvidea, how many times are you going to screw up supply chain on you new generation of cards.

Requiem
06-09-2012, 06:58 AM
I bet I could do a monster build for under 700 dollars.

Drunk Monkey
06-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Is the windows experience index an accurate measurement of computer performance?

SouthStndJunkie
06-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Work bought me a new MacBook Air this week:

13 inch screen. Dual-core 1.8GHz Intel Core i7. 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 onboard memory. 256 GB flash storage.

The SSD hard drive makes the laptop fly.

The new Thunderbolt interface is pretty amazing as well.

snowspot66
06-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Is the windows experience index an accurate measurement of computer performance?

For the most part. But you'll want to look at the individual scores as the overall is based on the lowest score and it might be something of lesser importance.

ZONA
06-10-2012, 11:25 PM
No thanks.

2k+ comps are good to look at, but in terms of value you get 80%+ of the performance for less than half the price when you go w/ an i5/7870 based build.

Not that I ever build these things anymore now that the software makers no longer come up w/ anything that really stresses the hardware.

If you really want to build something for 2k+, its obviously to show off, in that case, you shouldn't be spending 2K, you should spend the full 3k and deck it out with lights, water cooling, a $300+ dollar case, and even an LCD temperature gauge in the front.

Go big or go home.

Nah. You're not going to get 80% of the performance with an i5 Sandy vs the i7 Ivy. Maybe in some things, some games still built for DirectX10, but you will see a significant difference in certain graphics apps such as Studio Max, Maya, Cad, etc...and even in some DirectX11 games.

The real value is if you can build the system yourself. No money is wasted on labor, marketing, etc...

The last system I built (besides the one I just did 2 weeks ago) was 4 years ago and it lasted me, well obviously 4 years. And I played all the graphics demanding games with no problems. It was only this year with some of the DirectX11 stuff. You could still run them ok with a moderate system but you will be turning down some settings that's for sure.

FYI - I had to ship back 2 items (Asus 27" monitor and Asus Xonar sound card). Both were crap. I ended up getting a 27" 1MS Viewsonic and of course the Creative X-Fi Fatality.

I haven't got pics yet of my new ultra rig but it's up and running sweet. Boot time is about 15 seconds with all my programs installed. Awesome temps on all 4 cores on my Ivy i7 with that water cooled Asus radiator (24 26 24 26)

55CrushEm
06-12-2012, 11:38 AM

Back to the 680......I was reading that it is only slightly higher than the 670 in performance....that the 670 runs cooler and more quietly than the 680. So the extra money on the 680 isn't really worth it.

Any truth to that?