PDA

View Full Version : NFL to get replacement officials?

KCStud
06-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Talks between NFL and officials for new deal have broken off. NFL has advised all teams it is now working to hire replacement officials.

This could be really really bad for the league.

bronco militia
06-04-2012, 07:37 AM
yawn....the current zebras already suck

Garcia Bronco
06-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Good. The ones they have now are complete asshats.

HILife
06-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Be careful what you wish for. If you think the multi year experienced refs are bad, just image the brand new ones with no NFL experience.

KCStud
06-04-2012, 08:11 AM

NFL looking to hire officials from anywhere but BCS: Elite retired college officials, ones from small college conferences, even Arena ball.

This is bad. Very bad.

Garcia Bronco
06-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Be careful what you wish for. If you think the multi year experienced refs are bad, just image the brand new ones with no NFL experience.

I wouldn't have the same expectations of new refs as I would from more experienced refs.

Pony Boy
06-04-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm ok with it as long as the new officials realize that players can't lay a hand on Manning without suspension or total banishment.

hades
06-04-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm gonna apply, I can't do much worse than 3/4 of the ones employed last year!

spdirty
06-04-2012, 08:31 AM

NFL looking to hire officials from anywhere but BCS: Elite retired college officials, ones from small college conferences, even Arena ball.

This is bad. Very bad.

I'll know we're really ****ed if they start looking to hire NBA refs.

R-Mac
06-04-2012, 09:04 AM

Yep. They are awful. I doubt the NFL will miss them. But in my opinion, the bad officiating must also be credited to the new "safety" rules that force difficult judgement when the plays happen so fast.

BroncoBen
06-04-2012, 09:06 AM

Talks between NFL and officials for new deal have broken off. NFL has advised all teams it is now working to hire replacement officials.

No worries.. something will get done. Just like any negotiation.. just the beginning of the posturing by the NFL and the REFs.

ludo21
06-04-2012, 09:15 AM
meh,

no flags could be fun. or no refs

Tombstone RJ
06-04-2012, 09:24 AM

LOL

really? I think it will be great for the league. I'm so sick of the crappy officiating that I welcome new officials.

Garcia Bronco
06-04-2012, 09:33 AM
The league should have told them to take a hike back in 2001, but caved.

cutthemdown
06-04-2012, 09:44 AM

We have nothing to compare then to so how do we know? The new ones may be really ****ty.

Tombstone RJ
06-04-2012, 09:48 AM
We have nothing to compare then to so how do we know? The new ones may be really ****ty.

how about video replay, when everyone on TV can see something that the refs missed or didn't call or flagged for no reason or whatever?

Hulamau
06-04-2012, 10:07 AM

No kidding ... :-/ AS long as they screw the pooch for our opponents it might be tolerable, but when they start stripping legitamate TDs from Manning and company the riots will start at Mile High.

BroncoMan4ever
06-04-2012, 10:08 AM

current refs suck at their jobs anyway. not going to be a big difference with replacements.

Rolandftw
06-04-2012, 10:15 AM
It's good for the league in that it doesn't allow the refs too much power. It's bad in the sense that if it follows through, the quality of the refs would probably decline at least initially.

It's really a power play by the league

Pick Six
06-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Here's a link to the article...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/06/nfl-to-begin-hiring-replacement-referees/1

peacepipe
06-04-2012, 12:23 PM
this is stupid on the owners behalf. I doubt the refs are asking for multi-million dollar contracts.as much as people want to bitch about NFL refs,they're the best in pro sports. these replacement refs will likely bring down the quality of the game with numorous bad calls.

Tombstone RJ
06-04-2012, 01:38 PM
this is stupid on the owners behalf. I doubt the refs are asking for multi-million dollar contracts.as much as people want to b**** about NFL refs,they're the best in pro sports. these replacement refs will likely bring down the quality of the game with numorous bad calls.

this is a classic projection statement. Fact is, there's no way of knowing. Sure, there will be some growing pains but theres also the preaseason. I tend to think just the opposite will happen (here's my own projection), that is, the new refs will be hell bent on making the right call and not screw up so their egos will not be as involved. If they have to delay the game for a few minutes, look at replay stuff, consult with all the officials to make the right call I'm ok with that.

bronco militia
06-04-2012, 01:47 PM

mehhh..they are refs. they always suck ;D

gyldenlove
06-04-2012, 01:51 PM
this is a classic projection statement. Fact is, there's no way of knowing. Sure, there will be some growing pains but theres also the preaseason. I tend to think just the opposite will happen (here's my own projection), that is, the new refs will be hell bent on making the right call and not screw up so their egos will not be as involved. If they have to delay the game for a few minutes, look at replay stuff, consult with all the officials to make the right call I'm ok with that.

You do realize that refs are not allowed to consult TV replay in any way shape or form unless there is a coach challenge (in which case 1 ref gets to watch for no more than 1 minute).

Tombstone RJ
06-04-2012, 01:53 PM
You do realize that refs are not allowed to consult TV replay in any way shape or form unless there is a coach challenge (in which case 1 ref gets to watch for no more than 1 minute).

I don't know all the rules I just know that sometimes they consult with others who are not on the field, but you are correct, I don't know all the rules about that stuff.

Binkythefrog
06-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Can the league hire college refs? Are they a part of the NFL ref's union?

If so, I don't think we'll see too huge of a drop off... perhaps they can compensate by giving teams an extra challenge (although I never see that rule being implemented in time for the regular season).

bronco militia
06-04-2012, 02:40 PM
What do they want? Flavored whistles?

Pick Six
06-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Can the league hire college refs? Are they a part of the NFL ref's union?

If so, I don't think we'll see too huge of a drop off... perhaps they can compensate by giving teams an extra challenge (although I never see that rule being implemented in time for the regular season).

The NFL will probably never do anything to slow down the game...

Mogulseeker
06-04-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm ok with it as long as the new officials realize that players can't lay a hand on Manning without suspension or total banishment.

Hopefully that policy will carry into Denver.