PDA

View Full Version : Secret Superstar: Chris Harris, CB, Denver Broncos

Bronco Rob
06-03-2012, 10:36 AM
You may not have noticed it, but there was more to the 2011 Denver Broncos than a certain polarizing quarterback, who shall remain nameless. No, the Broncos of last year were built on a creative offensive game plan that flattered a sub-standard running game, and a defense that had enough talent, and made enough plays, to keep it tight.

It was a formula that worked well enough to get them to the playoffs, but with Peyton Manning now taking over at the quarterback spot, things are changing. If his time in Indianapolis has taught us anything itís that we wonít be seeing an option offense, and the Broncos wonít find themselves playing catch-up quite so often. Last year they spent 57.34% of plays with at least five defensive backs on the field. As teams try to go toe-to-toe with a legitimate quarterback, itís hard to see that number dropping.

The good news for Denver is that the player currently listed as their fifth defensive back, the man who will typically line up in the slot, looks like a good one. I am of course referring to Chris Harris, our Denver Broncos Secret Superstar.

For The Rest.... http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/06/03/secret-superstar-chris-harris-cb-denver-broncos/

g6matty
06-03-2012, 10:48 AM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/05/21/2011s-best-performances-4-3-outside-linebackers/

you should post this one too

Lestat
06-03-2012, 11:00 AM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/05/21/2011s-best-performances-4-3-outside-linebackers/

so you're saying Von is pretty good huh? :strong:

Bronco Rob
06-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Great link! raider fan staying true to form were kicking Wembley on the way out the door....

:sunshine:

Lestat
06-03-2012, 11:08 AM
have we ever had this much CB depth? i know we had Smith at Atwater at S back in the day but i don't think we've ever had the CB depth we currently enjoy(on paper at least)

Bronco Rob
06-03-2012, 11:15 AM
have we ever had this much CB depth? i know we had Smith at Atwater at S back in the day but i don't think we've ever had the CB depth we currently enjoy(on paper at least)

Not unless you count Ben Smith, Charles Dimry, Randy Hillard a 35 year old Lionel Washington or 34 year old Tim McKyer as depth...

oubronco
06-03-2012, 11:15 AM
This kid is going to be a very good corner, i'm glad he's on the Broncos

broncosteven
06-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Not unless you count Ben Smith, Charles Dimry, Randy Hillard a 35 year old Lionel Washington or 34 year old Tim McKyer as depth...

The 77 team had a very good secondary

Louis Wright, Steve Foley, Bernard Jackson, Billy Thompson

IHaveALight
06-03-2012, 12:09 PM
The good news for Denver is that the player currently listed as their fifth defensive back, the man who will typically line up in the slot, looks like a good one. I am of course referring to Chris Harris, our Denver Broncos Secret Superstar.

Are they saying that Harris looks to beat out either Porter or Florence for the nickle position?

R-Mac
06-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Chris Harris is a good tackler. I think he played FS for Kansas. He was a good addition among UDFAs, but I would not expect too much from him. Harris still is not very reliable in coverage and he needs to improve his ball skills. I saw at least 2 interceptions go through his hands last season.

Quarterbacks might target Harris a lot this season and then we'll see if he can get the job done. The quarterback will look at Bailey, Porter, Florence... So, Harris will probably be considered the weak link. He struggled against the Patriots.

Harris plays more like a SS, he is an aggressive DB. He is not a ball hawk. In my opinion, a healthy Syd'Quan Thompson is better than Harris in pass coverage. I just don't know what's left of Thompson's agility and speed after that injury. Harris might continue to be a contributor on defense, but I don't expect him to be a starting CB.

At this point, I don't expect Harris to prevent the completion, but I expect him to tackle his man after the reception.

Shananahan
06-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I don't expect him to be a starting CB.
Well.... duh. Nobody is.

As for his limitations in coverage, I feel pretty good about what he did as a rookie and his potential to improve upon it. Throw in the fact that he'll routinely be facing the third or fourth options at WR and I don't see how you can complain.

Lestat
06-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Are they saying that Harris looks to beat out either Porter or Florence for the nickle position?

this was known and expected when they signed guys. Porter is #2 and Florence is #3 and the nickel. Bolden might have supplanted him as the #4 so he'll be the #5 and likely back up at nickel.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-03-2012, 01:16 PM
I think the depth chart will be more like: Champ, Porter, Florence, Harris, Bolden (for kick return/sp).

BroncoMan4ever
06-03-2012, 01:16 PM
At this point, I don't expect Harris to prevent the completion, but I expect him to tackle his man after the reception.

That is more than can be said about a lot of the corners that have run through Denver. He may not be an all pro in the making, but he is a contributor

snowspot66
06-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Chris Harris is a good tackler. I think he played FS for Kansas. He was a good addition among UDFAs, but I would not expect too much from him. Harris still is not very reliable in coverage and he needs to improve his ball skills. I saw at least 2 interceptions go through his hands last season.

He'll fit right in with the rest of the guys on our defense then.

baja
06-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Has any team ever had two shut down corners?

DenverBroncosJM
06-03-2012, 02:33 PM

Quarterbacks might target Harris a lot this season and then we'll see if he can get the job done. The quarterback will look at Bailey, Porter, Florence... So, Harris will probably be considered the weak link. He struggled against the Patriots.

Harris plays more like a SS, he is an aggressive DB. He is not a ball hawk. In my opinion, a healthy Syd'Quan Thompson is better than Harris in pass coverage. I just don't know what's left of Thompson's agility and speed after that injury. Harris might continue to be a contributor on defense, but I don't expect him to be a starting CB.

You are joking right? If every UDFA came in played the way Harris did there would not be a draft. The kid for being a rookie was balls to the wall all year.

Bacchus
06-03-2012, 03:27 PM

Nice

Top 5 Pass Rushing games by 4-3 OLBs:

1. Kamerion Wimbley (OAK), Week 10 at San Diego (+11.1)

2. Von Miller (DEN), Week 11 vs. New York Jets (+6.0)

3. Von Miller (DEN), Week 10 at Kansas City (+5.6)

4t. Von Miller (DEN), Week 12 at San Diego (+5.3)

4t. Von Miller (DEN), Week 9 at Oakland (+5.3)

DarkHorse
06-03-2012, 05:19 PM
I like this kid, thought he played very well last year. I'm rooting for him....hope he doesn't get a DUI or do something stupid.

Heyneck
06-03-2012, 05:25 PM

the 2000's ravens tandem was really tough to pass on. And on paper... the eagles last year. Even though I consider Samuel extremely over rated.

Boomhauer
06-03-2012, 05:49 PM

Not sure, but I'd say Harris has a shot at beating Porter for the nickle spot, with Florence almost certainly RCB.

IHaveALight
06-03-2012, 06:30 PM

In 2000 Champ, Darrell Green and Deion Sanders all played on the same team. I think Champ and Deion were the starting corners.

Bronco Rob
06-03-2012, 06:51 PM

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/07/28/greatest-cornerback-tandems-of-all-time/

Check out Number: 7

:thumbs:

baja
06-03-2012, 07:01 PM
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/07/28/greatest-cornerback-tandems-of-all-time/

Check out Number: 7

:thumbs:

That was the year of the drive correct. That makes what Elway did even more impressive.

errand
06-03-2012, 08:44 PM
The 77 team had a very good secondary

Louis Wright, Steve Foley, Bernard Jackson, Billy Thompson

That was definitely one of the best secondaries in nfl history

DBroncos4life
06-03-2012, 08:50 PM

He played his last 6 games at KU at safety. He played most of his career at right corner and nickel back.