PDA

View Full Version : Setting the record straight: Manning's neck injury

azfanz
06-01-2012, 10:35 PM
I tend to agree with this article...if the "injury" had been the result of one play, or a series of plays, I'd be far more concerned. I'm doubting Manning would be back had there not been sound medical advice that he can withstand the rigors of a season of football and all the contact that comes with it. Good read:

http://broncosreport.com/2012/06/01/setting-the-record-straight-peyton-mannings-neck-injury/

BroncoMan4ever
06-01-2012, 10:50 PM
similar neck injury to John Lynch. same surgeon cleared both players. Lynch came back and was a pro bowler, i have no doubt Manning will do the same.

Doggcow
06-01-2012, 11:13 PM
I keep trying to explain to people every QB that plays against us has a much better chance of injury than the one that plays for us...

Captain 'Dre
06-02-2012, 06:11 AM
I keep trying to explain to people every QB that plays against us has a much better chance of injury than the one that plays for us...

Really? Do you keep trying to explain that because no one else buys that logic?

On the face of it, that argument doesn't make sense, as anyone with a history of neck injury is more at risk than someone without that history.

You might argue that Manning's risk is "no higher than any other quarterback's risk", if you believe that Peyton will have superior protection, but I don't see the evidence to make that claim, either.

Neck-wise, Manning will most likely be okay. That's no guarantee, though.

Punisher
06-02-2012, 06:18 AM
similar neck injury to John Lynch. same surgeon cleared both players. Lynch came back and was a pro bowler, i have no doubt Manning will do the same.

http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=80076

BroncoMan4ever
06-02-2012, 07:56 AM
http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=80076

Not an exact player to player comparison. Lynch was a head knocking safety that hit guys every single play. Manning is a QB that reads defenses so quick he typically gets the ball out before being touched. Lynch came back successfully in a physical role with a similar injury. Manning will be fine

Broncobiv
06-02-2012, 08:03 AM
That article makes me feel a lot better about the Manning situation! I never fully researched exactly what his injury was. I knew he had fused vertebrae, but I didn't know exactly why, and what the resulting risks would be (bad on me, should've read up on it as soon as we signed him).

Manning underwent several procedures to alleviate the pressure on the damaged nerve, which was causing weakness in his throwing arm. When those failed to fix the problem, Manning’s surgeon, Dr. Robert Watkins, suggested a new course of action. The troublesome soft disk tissue between two vertebrae, which was pinching the nerve, would be removed. As a result, the vertebrae would be fused together. Nerves, it turns out, are quite delicate and take far longer to heal than some of those other injuries like broken bones or torn ligaments. After the fusion healed (usually 4-6 months), Manning still had to wait for the nerve to regenerate. That process, it turned out, took the entire 2011 NFL season. Dr. Watkins announced on February 2, 2011 that he had cleared Manning to play football again.

It's nice to see that it was really just a nerve issue, which has now regenerated, and nothing to do with the neck/spine itself. So hopefully with the neck and arm strength a non-issue, the only thing getting in Peyton's way the rest of his career will be his age, just like any other veteran QB!

Tombstone RJ
06-02-2012, 09:24 AM
nerves are really and incredible part of the body. I shattered my elbow skiing a few years back and the one of the breaks was close to a nerve in my elbow. The doctor said surgury was the last option as he didn't want to take a chance of messing with the nerve if he didn't have to and hence, we let the break heal naturally. My hand works fine but it still feels a little funny and it shakes a tad too, I assume this is because of the nerve affecting everthing below it. This is why I also guess that Manning's recovery is much about the nerve regeneration, that is, how does his arm and hand function after the healing process is complete? Does the ball feel the same? Does he have the same range of motions? Is there any tingling in his hand, etc.?

rugbythug
06-02-2012, 11:23 AM

On the face of it, that argument doesn't make sense, as anyone with a history of neck injury is more at risk than someone without that history.

You might argue that Manning's risk is "no higher than any other quarterback's risk", if you believe that Peyton will have superior protection, but I don't see the evidence to make that claim, either.

How many QB's did we knock out for the next game last season?

Cassell and several others.

Doggcow
06-02-2012, 11:30 AM

You didn't read the article. First of all the Injury isn't a "neck injury" second of all, almost everyone in the NFL has had an injury at some point, probably in far worse places than Manning. Third, Manning doesn't face the best tandem of pass rushers in the league, QB's playing against Manning, however, have to face them 16 times.

Captain 'Dre
06-02-2012, 12:08 PM
How many QB's did we knock out for the next game last season?

Cassell and several others.

Peyton got knocked out for an entire season, no?

Archer81
06-02-2012, 12:23 PM
We'll see. Manning will either be fine or he wont be.

Time will tell.

:Broncos:

TDmvp
06-02-2012, 12:39 PM

Hilarious! Dude that's just stupid sounding .

Doggcow
06-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Hilarious! Dude that's just stupid sounding .

Lol whoops I just reread it and meant to type "Plays us" not "for us" lol. Damn swype!

TDmvp
06-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Lol whoops I just reread it and meant to type "Plays us" not "for us" lol. Damn swype!

heheh I almost thought autofill F'ed you over bro...

Stuck in Cali
06-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Manning is fine, and no more frail than any other person in the league, other than his age. I have never doubted his heath.

Doggcow
06-02-2012, 02:16 PM
heheh I almost thought autofill F'ed you over bro...

Not the worst swype mistake by far though lol.

Man-Goblin
06-02-2012, 03:08 PM

In other words, he has as much of a chance of injury as any other 36 year old QB who has a history of getting rid of the ball 90+% of the time before he gets hit.

It's a small, possibly non-existent, sample size.

Doggcow
06-02-2012, 03:35 PM
In other words, he has as much of a chance of injury as any other 36 year old QB who has a history of getting rid of the ball 90+% of the time before he gets hit.

It's a small, possibly non-existent, sample size.

I meant to type "any qb that plays us" e.g. Ben in week 1. "For" was an accidental swype typo.

Tombstone RJ
06-02-2012, 03:39 PM
I meant to type "any qb that plays us" e.g. Ben in week 1. "For" was an accidental swype typo.

swypo is the correct nomenclature...

errand
06-02-2012, 03:43 PM

I agree that there are no guarantees he won't get injured...but when he's given decent, adequate protection, his pre-snap reads and quick, accurate delivery of the pass to the open man will decrease the chances of him being sacked, which will decrease the chances of him being injured....

errand
06-02-2012, 03:46 PM

Well, technically, he didn't get "knocked out"...that would imply he missed games immediately following the injury......he didn't. He did however miss the entire 2011 season due to his rehabilitation and recovery from the surgeries....

eddie mac
06-02-2012, 08:45 PM
You just know though that everytime he gets hit this year BroncoNation will need to stock up on Pampers.

broncosteven
06-03-2012, 11:16 AM
nerves are really and incredible part of the body. I shattered my elbow skiing a few years back and the one of the breaks was close to a nerve in my elbow. The doctor said surgury was the last option as he didn't want to take a chance of messing with the nerve if he didn't have to and hence, we let the break heal naturally. My hand works fine but it still feels a little funny and it shakes a tad too, I assume this is because of the nerve affecting everthing below it. This is why I also guess that Manning's recovery is much about the nerve regeneration, that is, how does his arm and hand function after the healing process is complete? Does the ball feel the same? Does he have the same range of motions? Is there any tingling in his hand, etc.?

I want to know the same thing also.

Is he having tingling, does he need pain and nerve meds. It sounds like the muscle atrophy is getting better and he hasn't had set backs throwing.

I can't throw a nerf ball to my 4 year old with either arm without paying for it the next couple days. If Manning is not having that kind of set back then I think he will be Ok.

I also think if he makes it through week 6 without any setbacks he will be fine for the rest of his career.

I don't know how Dr's make the difference between chronic nerve damage and acute, all I know is that mine is chronic and I am doing everything I can to resolve it or make it better and it is just not responding.

peacepipe
06-03-2012, 11:26 AM
you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If their were any real doubts about mannings neck denver would've pulled out of the hunt for peyton.

Mile High Salute
06-04-2012, 12:11 PM

Meh. Peyton could've played over the 2nd half of last season. It was pretty clear that Indy shut him down once they were out of contention so they could land the #1 pick. Also, keep in mind that he never got the treatment he needed last off-season because of the lockout, which gave him a slow start last year towards his recovery. Peyton will be just fine.

And I adopted his neck just in case. :strong::yayaya:

bronco militia
06-04-2012, 12:15 PM
so I'm wearing my new Manning jersey this weekend. some clown I don't know walks up to me and starts to tell me that Manning isn't going to finish the season.

Me: "oh, so you hope he gets injured this year?"

Clown: nahhh... I have nothing against Manning, but I don't root for the Broncos anymore after what they did to Tebow"

Me: "oh, so you are Tebow fan and not a Broncos fan"

.....silence

ppablo
06-04-2012, 12:17 PM
so I'm wearing my new Manning jersey this weekend. some clown I don't know walks up to me and starts to tell me that Manning isn't going to finish the season.

Clown: nahhh... I have nothing against Manning, but I don't root for the Broncos anymore after what they did to Tebow"

.....silence

I like your style!

bronco militia
06-04-2012, 12:19 PM
I like your style!

I knew where he was headed and set him up. The orangemane is a good place to test these skills

;D

Irish Stout
06-04-2012, 12:26 PM

.....silence

Was this in the Springs? Was this dude a long time CO resident and long time Denver Broncos Fan? You should have punched him the throat and told him to move to Oakland.

bronco militia
06-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Was this in the Springs? Was this dude a long time CO resident and long time Denver Broncos Fan? You should have punched him the throat and told him to move to Oakland.

;D

yeah in the springs...not sure about how long he was a fan, I was too busy at the self checkout line at KingSoopers.

anyway, most of Colorado Springs roots for other teams when it comes to pro-sports.

Irish Stout
06-04-2012, 12:31 PM
;D

yeah in the springs...not sure about how long he was a fan, I was too busy at the self checkout line at KingSoopers.

anyway, most of Colorado Springs roots for other teams when it comes to pro-sports.

Thats a front range problem as a whole. Too many transplants.

Irish Stout
06-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I'd like to set the record straight on Manning's pants. Yes, he was wearing pink pants at the Rockies game on Sunday.

bronco militia
06-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I'd like to set the record straight on Manning's pants. Yes, he was wearing pink pants at the Rockies game on Sunday.

ahhh crap

ThirtyDegrees
06-04-2012, 03:27 PM

.....silence

This never happened

errand
06-04-2012, 03:48 PM

.....silence

There's been alot of that going around...LOL

bronco militia
06-05-2012, 07:15 AM
http://www.drewlitton.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/June2012covercolorinked-550x715.gif