PDA

View Full Version : To those expecting the Indianapolis Colts offense in Denver

chickennob2
06-01-2012, 07:14 AM
I really don't think that the offense you see in Denver this year will look like the offense you've seen over 4 of the last 5 seasons in Indy. I think you're going to see a fairly balanced offense. Now the call-at-the-line system with almost every route concept being able to be run out of almost every personel grouping and formation? I have no idea, but I'm sure they're going to at least keep parts of it. But I'm not talking about that; I'm speaking purely about the run/pass ratio.

I saw this quote recently that got me thinking:

The first thing he said to us is, 'Listen, you guys have a system in place. I want to learn your system, but also have the flexibility to do some of the things we've done for the last 14 years in Indy,' "

Which is pretty damn clear, right?

He's been open since Day 1 to trying a lot of new things that we've done, or things we've already been doing here for a number of years that he's never done. He wants our opinion on those things. And then some things we've taken from his past.

Now, sure, this could all just be the usual misdirection and/or fluff that is piped through the media this time of year. But think about John Fox's history. He's always been a run-first kind of coach. It's true that he's never had a QB of Peyton's caliber, and that's why we're going to see a whole lot more passes this year than we did last year. But he will not abandon the running game.

I think the biggest indicator to me, however, is the fact that Peyton was basically wooed here by John Elway. Elway was able to relate to Manning so well because John has been in Peyton's shoes. As an older, elite quarterback trying to win a ring, Elway had one huge benefit that made his life much easier: Terrell Davis

He's the reason we've been successful. We're not one-dimensional. We have enough firepower in our passing game that we can let loose when a team gears up to stop the run.

It's been nice to have a balanced offense, and Terrell is the reason why.

I have to imagine that John shared this with Peyton. The fact that a running game is an aging QB's best friend. And I can't imagine that they'll run an offense this year where the running game doesn't have a major role.

CEH
06-01-2012, 07:18 AM
I'm excited. Brain Dawkins said last night on NFLTA we are about to see a dynamic offense in Denver. He sounded like the hidden talent on the offensive side is about to be released. We will run the ball which will be good for Peyton

Jay3
06-01-2012, 07:24 AM
I think some pundits fail to realize how simple the Colts offense has been under Peyton. It's based on some very fundamental concepts, and looking at how the defense is lined up.

So the "approach" that Peyton uses can be incorporated into a number of systems by adding only a few moving parts.

Kaylore
06-01-2012, 07:58 AM
FYI they have the full video of both coordinators on the team website. I strongly recommend getting the Broncos AP. It's surprisingly sleek for a small market team, easy to use and the interviews are awesome. Mccoy's full interview is on there.

Bmore Manning
06-01-2012, 08:12 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/01/broncos-coordinator-id-be-an-idiot-if-i-didnt-listen-to-peyton-manning/

Lestat
06-01-2012, 08:44 AM
this is beating a dead horse. both McCoy and Manning have stated what they like, both have said they're willing to compromise and adjust to the other.

why do the fans keep trying to make an issue out of it? Manning said he welcomes the addition pressure off him with the run game, McCoy said he would implement some things from the Colts,Packers,Saints as well as other things that the FA signees have done with their previous teams and were a strength of theirs.

pricejj
06-01-2012, 08:55 AM
McCoy is an Offensive Coordinator who has aspirations of being a Head Coach in the NFL next year. It would not look good on his resume to let Manning use his strengths (no-huddle, simple Offense) to win a SB this year.

In the press conference he said, "We took parts of the 2010 Colts Offense (passing game), and parts of the Carolina Offense (running game)"...and wants Manning to "try it my way first".

This guys most qualifying job experience is being the Quarterback coach for Jake Delhomme. All he really has to do, is take the Superbowl winning 2006 Colts Offense (which he apparently hasn't studied), and add in some timely 2-back looks.

Manning better have the juervos to put his foot down, and cut out the nonsense.

Boobs McGee
06-01-2012, 09:43 AM
McCoy is an Offensive Coordinator who has aspirations of being a Head Coach in the NFL next year. It would not look good on his resume to let Manning use his strengths (no-huddle, simple Offense) to win a SB this year.
In the press conference he said, "We took parts of the 2010 Colts Offense (passing game), and parts of the Carolina Offense (running game)"...and wants Manning to "try it my way first".

This guys most qualifying job experience is being the Quarterback coach for Jake Delhomme. All he really has to do, is take the Superbowl winning 2006 Colts Offense (which he apparently hasn't studied), and add in some timely 2-back looks.

Manning better have the juervos to put his foot down, and cut out the nonsense.

Ummmm, no.

from this article: http://tracking.si.com/2012/06/01/denver-broncos-peyton-manning/

Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy said quarterback Peyton Manning has helped shape the team”s offensive scheme this offseason, reports the Denver Post‘s Lindsay Jones.

“The first thing he said to us is, ‘Listen, you guys have a system in place. I want to learn your system, but also have the flexibility to do some of the things we’ve done for the last 14 years in Indy,’ ” McCoy said Thursday. “Hey, I’d be an idiot if I didn’t listen to him.”

McCoy also revealed that the team began looking at Manning’s offense with the Colts before the quarterback had been released by Indianapolis. The coaching staff wanted to be prepared to present to Manning if he became a free agent.

So far, the coordinator and quarterback say they are getting along well as the offense takes shape.

“Peyton’s been great, he’s been flexible on a lot of things,” McCoy said.

“He’s been open since Day 1 to trying a lot of new things that we’ve done, or things we’ve already been doing here for a number of years that he’s never done. He wants our opinion on those things.

“And then some things we’ve taken from his past. Hey, I’ll be the first one to ask questions with him saying, ‘What can we do different here’ or ‘How can I change this’ or ‘Is this a better protection for this play.’ We’re all in it together.”

As an aspiring head coach, a guy is going to do whatever it takes to prove he can be a winner. Adaptability is a favorable trait.

Drunken.Broncoholic
06-01-2012, 10:04 AM
How about we are going to see the offense as an improvisation at the line of scrimmage before each play.

pricejj
06-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Ummmm, no.

As an aspiring head coach, a guy is going to do whatever it takes to prove he can be a winner. Adaptability is a favorable trait.

Taking the Colts 2006 Offense, and tweaking it with a few 2-back set's here and there, is akin to sprinkling in a little cayenne pepper with your prize-winning chicken salad.

Taking McCoy's Offense, and adding some 2010 Colts plays, is akin to attempting to make chicken salad with chicken ****.

Boobs McGee
06-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Taking the Colts 2006 Offense, and tweaking it with a few 2-back set's here and there, is akin to sprinkling in a little cayenne pepper with your prize-winning chicken salad.

Taking McCoy's Offense, and adding some 2010 Colts plays, is akin to attempting to make chicken salad with chicken ****.

I was simply disputing this assinine comment you made "McCoy is an Offensive Coordinator who has aspirations of being a Head Coach in the NFL next year. It would not look good on his resume to let Manning use his strengths (no-huddle, simple Offense) to win a SB this year."

I don't care if you take your prize winning salad, hide it for ten minutes, don't do **** to it, then put it back on the table and call it a steak. If it still a prize winner, you win.

An aspiring head coach that uses whatever resources he has, is considered resourceful. He's recognizing what it's going to take to win a superbowl...and if that requires tweaks, however minor they are, then so be it. How you come to the conclusion that it will hurt his coaching future is beyond comprehension.

pricejj
06-01-2012, 11:05 AM
An aspiring head coach that uses whatever resources he has, is considered resourceful. He's recognizing what it's going to take to win a superbowl...and if that requires tweaks, however minor they are, then so be it. How you come to the conclusion that it will hurt his coaching future is beyond comprehension.

How would McCoy know anything about what it takes to win a Superbowl? He would never have seen the playoffs in his career without weekly interventions from god himself. McCoy's "best chance to win" led us to a 1-4 record last year, and a 4-12 record the year before. His Offense has been one of the league's worst for his entire tenure as OC.

McCoy just needs to present Fox and Magazu's running scheme to Manning, then step OFF. Let Manning call the plays, and decide when and where to incorporate the added versatility...just like he's done for the last 14 years.

peacepipe
06-01-2012, 11:08 AM
How would McCoy know anything about what it takes to win a Superbowl? He would never have seen the playoffs in his career without weekly interventions from god himself. McCoy's "best chance to win" led us to a 1-4 record last year, and a 4-12 record the year before. His Offense has been one of the league's worst for his entire tenure as OC.

McCoy just needs to present Fox and Magazu's running scheme to Manning, then step OFF. Let Manning call the plays, and decide when and where to incorporate the added versatility...just like he's done for the last 14 years.

LOL we were 8-8 last yr with McCoys offense. If it wasn't for McCoy catering the offense for tebow we probably would've had the #1 pick.

pricejj
06-01-2012, 11:24 AM
LOL we were 8-8 last yr with McCoys offense. If it wasn't for McCoy catering the offense for tebow we probably would've had the #1 pick.

You are crediting McCoy with developing the zone-read rushing attack that Tebow ran at Florida? I will have to admit though, sending both WR's on go routes every single play (while ignoring the TE's role in the Offense), was a new added twist that I hadn't expected.

LRtagger
06-01-2012, 11:45 AM

Really? B/c letting Tebow play to his strength last year sure helped his resume.

We win the SB with a top-tier offense and McCoy will be a HC elsewhere next year.

LRtagger
06-01-2012, 11:46 AM
You are crediting McCoy with developing the zone-read rushing attack that Tebow ran at Florida? I will have to admit though, sending both WR's on go routes every single play (while ignoring the TE's role in the Offense), was a new added twist that I hadn't expected.

It sure got him national attention and some HC consideration

peacepipe
06-01-2012, 11:54 AM
You are crediting McCoy with developing the zone-read rushing attack that Tebow ran at Florida? I will have to admit though, sending both WR's on go routes every single play (while ignoring the TE's role in the Offense), was a new added twist that I hadn't expected.last I checked Tim Tebow wasn't drafted to install denvers offense. you may love tebow,but tebow doesn't have the football IQ to install an offense.

peacepipe
06-01-2012, 11:55 AM
You are crediting McCoy with developing the zone-read rushing attack that Tebow ran at Florida? I will have to admit though, sending both WR's on go routes every single play (while ignoring the TE's role in the Offense), was a new added twist that I hadn't expected.when your QBs only accurate pass is the deep route you tend not to need TEs as much.

pricejj
06-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Really? B/c letting Tebow play to his strength last year sure helped his resume.

We win the SB with a top-tier offense and McCoy will be a HC elsewhere next year.

All I can say is, I hope Manning does whatever he thinks will win, regardless of what McCoy thinks.

Shananahan
06-01-2012, 12:00 PM
This is beyond absurd.

pricejj
06-01-2012, 12:00 PM
last I checked Tim Tebow wasn't drafted to install denvers offense. you may love tebow,but tebow doesn't have the football IQ to install an offense.

Wtf are you talking about dude? I'm talking about McCoy's history as an Offensive Coordinator...and how he should kinda let Manning run the show.

pricejj
06-01-2012, 12:08 PM
This is beyond absurd.

Meaning, McCoy wants to run the Offense that he designed (not Manning's no-huddle from 2006) because it looks better for him, regardless if he has had past success with that Offense or not.

Hopefully, if McCoy's crap flops (like it did with Orton), Manning will start running the no-huddle again.

BroncoBen
06-01-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm excited. Brain Dawkins said last night on NFLTA we are about to see a dynamic offense in Denver. He sounded like the hidden talent on the offensive side is about to be released. We will run the ball which will be good for Peyton

I've always thought the strength of Peyton Manning is his ability to read defenses and change the plays at the line of scrimmage. As long as Manning can do that the rest of the offense can be 'average' and still look good.

pricejj
06-01-2012, 04:37 PM
I've always thought the strength of Peyton Manning is his ability to read defenses and change the plays at the line of scrimmage. As long as Manning can do that the rest of the offense can be 'average' and still look good.

His no-huddle Offense helps his ability to attack a Defense, because the Defense is not allowed to make any substitutions, or change many formations. Taking away the no-huddle destroys much of his advantage. If Manning allows that to happen, he is doing a disservice to himself.

Shananahan
06-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Meaning, McCoy wants to run the Offense that he designed (not Manning's no-huddle from 2006) because it looks better for him, regardless if he has had past success with that Offense or not.
I don't think creativity and uniqueness is as highly valued as success.

The quickest, surest way for McCoy to get a HC gig would be to 'let' Manning use his offense to win a Super Bowl. Your comment seems completely backward to me.

canadianbroncosfan
06-01-2012, 05:33 PM
so what you're saying is there's a chance we still go with the Option this year right? Between that and hearing Manning struggled at OTA's which means Brock will be starting next year makes this the best week ever ;)

canadianbroncosfan
06-01-2012, 05:35 PM

Hopefully, if McCoy's crap flops (like it did with Orton), Manning will start running the no-huddle again.

Are you kidding? Regardless who's offense Manning runs, if he has success doing it, it will speak highly for McCoy.

Lestat
06-01-2012, 09:43 PM
McCoy almost turned a college offense into a HC job despite most Broncos fans claiming he was a dumb ass and would welcome him moving on.

the man isn't stupid but he also knows that he has to run his offense for us to win big.
Manning is a great player and has more than a couple of elite years left in him.
McCoy's challenge is to merge Manning's ideals with his and get things going.
Manning ran the offensive practices with the Colts, that's not going to happen here.
he came here because he felt comfortable with the staff and roster in place to give him the best chance to win.