PDA

View Full Version : "never wanted to end up as a homeless guy who once played in the NFL."

ludo21
05-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Quote is From Rod Smith.

Actually an interesting read from Espin about life after football.

Terrell Owens hasn't officially retired yet and he already has blown the $80 million he earned during his career. Warren Sapp recently filed for bankruptcy. Former first-round picks Michael Bennett and William Joseph currently face federal charges of tax fraud and identity theft. Not every player falls into these traps, but a 2009 Sports Illustrated study claimed 78 percent of NFL retirees have "gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce" within two years of their careers ending. "You're talking about an identity crisis," said NFL vice president of player engagement and former Pro Bowl cornerback Troy Vincent. "Every athlete has to face the same question when they're done: 'Who am I?' "

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7983790/life-nfl-struggle-many-former-players

Pick Six
05-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Quote is From Rod Smith.

Actually an interesting read from Espin about life after football.

Terrell Owens hasn't officially retired yet and he already has blown the $80 million he earned during his career. Warren Sapp recently filed for bankruptcy. Former first-round picks Michael Bennett and William Joseph currently face federal charges of tax fraud and identity theft. Not every player falls into these traps, but a 2009 Sports Illustrated study claimed 78 percent of NFL retirees have "gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce" within two years of their careers ending. "You're talking about an identity crisis," said NFL vice president of player engagement and former Pro Bowl cornerback Troy Vincent. "Every athlete has to face the same question when they're done: 'Who am I?' "

"Who am I"? You're someone who made millions of dollars playing a game...Hilarious!

ludo21
05-31-2012, 12:15 PM
to be fair, they have all been playing since HS with no other structure around their life (most of them, and yes it is there fault).

It is a fair question they have to process.

Drek
05-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Says Rod has made $13M with his side business since retiring in '06. Pretty damn solid start up he's got going there.

gyldenlove
05-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Good find, it highlights the risks of making poor kids millionaires over night without teaching them how to deal with money and the consequences of money.

Role models who have been through the system are so important, a guy like Rod Smith carries more weight when he speaks than 10 GMs and agents.

gyldenlove
05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Says Rod has made $13M with his side business since retiring in '06. Pretty damn solid start up he's got going there.

Still a few paces behind the biggest coffee shop started by an ex-pro....

Miss I.
05-31-2012, 12:34 PM
that was interesting. I didn't know Trent Green was still alive.

Houshyamama
05-31-2012, 12:49 PM

Rod Smith works hard, at anything he does. That is why he is successful.

OK, time for me to get off the OMane and back to work :)

Baba Booey
05-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Not surprised that Rod is doing just fine. He's obviously very passionate about everything he does.

UberBroncoMan
05-31-2012, 01:02 PM

A lot of our great former players have done ****ing amazing after retiring.

DivineLegion
05-31-2012, 01:09 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LQeyHqnyMjc/TzwTgB-IicI/AAAAAAAAAv0/Wy9xb0FfG5M/s1600/zoolander+done.jpg

ghwk
05-31-2012, 01:09 PM
It starts early as they are coddled through school and not held to the same standards as those of us that had to do it becasue sports at that level aren't an option. Not all schools are this way of course but for those that are the player either starts to find out who they are after college or thier career.

The rest of us had to find out who we were every day without feeling that we were special because there wasn't an athletic program supporting us.

alkemical
05-31-2012, 01:12 PM
It starts early as they are coddled through school and not held to the same standards as those of us that had to do it becasue sports at that level aren't an option. Not all schools are this way of course but for those that are the player either starts to find out who they are after college or thier career.

The rest of us had to find out who we were every day without feeling that we were special because there wasn't an athletic program supporting us.

I've met God across his long walnut desk with his diplomas hanging on the wall behind him, and God asks me, "Why?" Why did I cause so much pain? Didn't I realize that each of us is a sacred, unique snowflake of special unique specialness? Can't I see how we're all manifestations of love? I look at God behind his desk, taking notes on a pad, but God's got this all wrong. We are not special. We are not crap or trash, either. We just are. We just are, and what happens just happens. And God says, "No, that's not right." Yeah. Well. Whatever. You can't teach God anything. ~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club, Chapter 30

Tyler Durden: Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

jonny1
05-31-2012, 01:12 PM

That's not quite accurate, the business has made $13M over 6 years, so with overhead, employees, etc., I doubt he personally is rolling in dough, but he is doing well. The main thing is that he has a reason to get up and go everyday.

broncosteven
05-31-2012, 01:14 PM
One would think these guys would know the average career only lasts 3 years and hold something back and have an exit plan.

I understand where most of these guys are coming from but they also got 4 years worth of college and you think somewhere along the line they would pickup some sort of intro to finance course.

Maybe the colleges need to develop some sort of finance or business class requirements for all those in the football program.

I also know it is not just football players who can't stop spending, we might not have had the housing bubble if people would not have cashed in on their home equity and then spent it.

Live within your means and plan for the future people!

alkemical
05-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Narrator: I flipped through catalogs and wondered: What kind of dining set defines me as a person?

ludo21
05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Still a few paces behind the biggest coffee shop started by an ex-pro....

ill bite... who does?

alkemical
05-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler.

broncosteven
05-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler.

Never talk about Fight Club

gyldenlove
05-31-2012, 01:25 PM
ill bite... who does?

Hockey Hall of famer Tim Horton - Tim Horton's coffee franchise had a revenue of 2.5 billion in 2010.

broncocalijohn
05-31-2012, 01:27 PM
"You're talking about an identity crisis," said NFL vice president of player engagement and former Pro Bowl cornerback Troy Vincent. "Every athlete has to face the same question when they're done: 'Who am I?' "

Classic because for their careers, many of them were telling us common folks, "Do you know who I am?"

We do now. You are the broke guy that **** on everyone when you thought you were someone big. Now here is a quarter I purposely tossed to see you scramble for it. See you lost some of your quickness from the 40 yard dash.

Mountain Bronco
05-31-2012, 01:28 PM

Generating $13M in sales is not Rod made $13M. He probably made a fraction of that after costs. Still good for him and any money made is a positive as (1) it is time spent on something productive not rotting the brain and (2) it is time spent not spending your saved money.

broncocalijohn
05-31-2012, 01:29 PM
that was interesting. I didn't know Trent Green was still alive.

Of couse he is! He was never on the 1994 Chargers Super Bowl team.

Jesterhole
05-31-2012, 01:39 PM
No pity for those fools. Not even a little bit.

mnfan
05-31-2012, 02:31 PM

He generated $13 million in sales, not made $13 million.

BroncoLifer
05-31-2012, 02:35 PM

Rod is great but it says sales of $13M, not profit of $13M.

Beantown Bronco
05-31-2012, 02:38 PM
So, does anyone else have an opinion on the $13 mil? I'm stumped. :)

ludo21
05-31-2012, 03:16 PM
i love the OM.

I post an article about jobless nfl retirees and most of the posts are about how rod smith hasnt made any money.

Captain 'Dre
05-31-2012, 03:22 PM

I was right with you, until you said I had to give up masturbating. Ha!

Doggcow
05-31-2012, 03:25 PM
You're a ****ing idiot if you file for bankruptcy and at some point in your life had over a million dollars.

Seriously.

Barring Medical expenses and other huge impacts on your life. E.g. Things that haven't happened to guys like Sapp and T.O.

Mountain Bronco
05-31-2012, 03:26 PM
i love the OM.

I post an article about jobless nfl retirees and most of the posts are about how rod smith hasnt made any money.

I didn't say he hasn't made any money, but folks were wrongly quoting the article saying he had made 13 million. Reading Comp.

Want my opinion on the article. **** them, they had a silver spoon handed to them with free education access to great money managers and enormous paychecks for multiple years of their lives. They fail to do something with that, to bad.

Pick Six
05-31-2012, 03:27 PM
i love the OM.

In fairness, you DID highlight a Rod Smith quote, for your thread title...

Doggcow
05-31-2012, 03:28 PM
I didn't say he hasn't made any money, but folks were wrongly quoting the article saying he had made 13 million. Reading Comp.

Want my opinion on the article. **** them, they had a silver spoon handed to them with free education access to great money managers and enormous paychecks for multiple years of their lives. They fail to do something with that, to bad.

*too

But I agree. **** em. That's them being total idiots. I'm not going to feel bad for someone who made more in 1 Sunday than I've made in my life. Guess what, I'm not bankrupt, and I can get a loan for a million dollar house if I wanted/needed to.

ludo21
05-31-2012, 03:42 PM
In fairness, you DID highlight a Rod Smith quote, for your thread title...

i tried to draw in the masses with a Bronco Great! :strong:

TheChamp24
05-31-2012, 03:51 PM
I think its amazing how these guys go through their money.
I remember arguing with some Eagles fan who supported Drew Rosenhaus and TO getting a new contract, and I'm like, why does he need more money?
The guy argued maybe he does to support his family.
I argued back, if people can support a family on $50,000 a year, he doesn't need more money already with a $7,000,000 salary.

Drek
05-31-2012, 04:09 PM
That's not quite accurate, the business has made $13M over 6 years, so with overhead, employees, etc., I doubt he personally is rolling in dough, but he is doing well. The main thing is that he has a reason to get up and go everyday.

Sure, but regardless it's a six year old start up. $13M in sales is a hell of a start.

Mountain Bronco
05-31-2012, 04:27 PM
You don't even know if it is a good start up without more info. Hell, they could have spent $14million in wages, locations, advertising etc.... $13million in sales is nothing to sneeze about, but you don't know how much it took to get the $13 million in sales. My guess is it is doing fine, but you never know by just the sales numbers alone.

Hulamau
05-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Rod Smith is fine because he knew that his personal identity wasn't ever defined and limited to him being an NFL football player in the limelight. Rod has had, since before he made it as an UFA in the league, the kind of solid stable character and comfort in his own skin that is the basis for all successful living long term. Regardless of what kind of monetary 'success' one might achieve.

Good for Rod .. he deserves it all!

fdf
05-31-2012, 05:08 PM
A lot of our great former players have done ****ing amazing after retiring.

A friend of mine knew Willie McCovey. Turns out, he was not only a great baseball player, but a shrewd businessman and investor too.

Most people never get a big hunk of capital over a short time in their whole lives. That kind of money altogether at the same time makes investment possible in a way not available to normal people. It's a pity when NFL or other sports players waste that huge opportunity. If Terrell Owens had just put 1/4 of his money into secure bonds (to the extent that exists anymore) he would never want again in his life. That's sad.

Anikai
05-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Did Rod Smith personally make 13 Mil? I looked everywhere still not sure.

cutthemdown
05-31-2012, 10:14 PM
I could care less about retired players. Once you ain't a star on Sunday, we just don't care that much. Unless it's Rod Smith then I care. :)

baja
05-31-2012, 10:25 PM
rod smith made more money in real estate than he ever made playing football I think I read that somewhere.

lonestar
05-31-2012, 10:35 PM
You're a ****ing idiot if you file for bankruptcy and at some point in your life had over a million dollars.

Seriously.

Barring Medical expenses and other huge impacts on your life. E.g. Things that haven't happened to guys like Sapp and T.O.

FWIW..

most of this makes sense..

I still beleive pretty much like you do..

but

Ten Reasons Why NFL Players Go Broke

An observation from 25 years of experience. Jack Bechta

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ten-Reasons-Why-NFL-Players-Go-Broke.html

this is the one that I had not thought of..

8) Divorce: 50% gone! When a player retires he goes from having a structured environment (which he has had his whole life), status, fame and a steady income, to trying to figure out how to add value to the household that worked around him and his routine for the last several years. He will struggle with developing a role in his own family, the workplace and society. A lot of athletes get depressed and a near majority of them hideout in a bottle and/or on the golf course. No longer the breadwinner, many wives of NFL players have told me they feel like their husband is another child they have to take care of. Many of these situations end in divorces with no prenuptial in place.

but it makes sense to me..

Dutch
06-01-2012, 12:25 AM
FWIW..

most of this makes sense..

I still beleive pretty much like you do..

but

Ten Reasons Why NFL Players Go Broke

An observation from 25 years of experience. Jack Bechta

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ten-Reasons-Why-NFL-Players-Go-Broke.html

this is the one that I had not thought of..

but it makes sense to me..

I'm sorry, but big Fn waaaaaa! Try coming back from a combat zone, jumpy as all get out. Short fused, wired for sound, and then re-integrate into the old family unit. Please, cry me an Fn river. You can find Sympathy for these clowns located between **** and Syphilis in my dictionary.

lonestar
06-01-2012, 01:22 AM
I'm sorry, but big Fn waaaaaa! Try coming back from a combat zone, jumpy as all get out. Short fused, wired for sound, and then re-integrate into the old family unit. Please, cry me an Fn river. You can find Sympathy for these clowns located between **** and Syphilis in my dictionary.

WOW, where in my post did I say I had sympathy for these ass clowns..

I merely said that was one of the reasons I had not thought of..

frankly lots of them would have been flipping burgers at Mc Ducks or selling drugs on a street corner until they were either murdered or in jail had it not been for football.

for the most part all were given a chance at a great education to be able to do something besides being an athlete after their careers were over and almost none of them did anything with it while in school.

Zero sympathy from me..for wasting it..

Broncoman13
06-01-2012, 05:49 AM
If the NFLPA really cared, they would pool the players money into a collective 401k type program and require players to put10% in. The investments wouldn't fully mature, but players would walk away from the game with a small nest egg. In some cases, a pretty large nest egg. Warren Sapp for example would probably have about $5m plus whatever interest it gained in 10 years of playing.

The divorce/child support thing is a huge issue. The child support thing for guys like Cromartie, Owens, and Travis Henry... That's by their own doing. But guys that go through a divorce bc they really don't know how to act after football, I do feel bad for them.

Beantown Bronco
06-01-2012, 07:32 AM
You don't even know if it is a good start up without more info. Hell, they could have spent $14million in wages, locations, advertising etc.... $13million in sales is nothing to sneeze about, but you don't know how much it took to get the $13 million in sales. My guess is it is doing fine, but you never know by just the sales numbers alone.

Any start up that's still registered to do business after 6 years is a success. Most flame out in the first year or two.

Kaylore
06-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Any start up that's still registered to do business after 6 years is a success. Most flame out in the first year or two.

Exactly. Usually by year two it's turning a profit so if you're still going year six, you have to be doing things mostly right.

Miss I.
06-01-2012, 07:56 AM
If the NFLPA really cared, they would pool the players money into a collective 401k type program and require players to put10% in. The investments wouldn't fully mature, but players would walk away from the game with a small nest egg. In some cases, a pretty large nest egg. Warren Sapp for example would probably have about $5m plus whatever interest it gained in 10 years of playing.

The divorce/child support thing is a huge issue. The child support thing for guys like Cromartie, Owens, and Travis Henry... That's by their own doing. But guys that go through a divorce bc they really don't know how to act after football, I do feel bad for them.

don't know that they should care frankly. Nobody else gets a job that forces you to take care of yourself. I have 0 sympathy, especially for the ones who went to college. they got a free ****ing college education and wasted that. Why should anyone keep carrying their stupid asses.

As for the divorce thing, divorce sucks, but ya know what, l sympathize with the guy who worked his whole life for normal wages and then gets divorced and is separated from his kids and has to keep paying support while rebuilding. That normal dude didn't get millions of dollars to squander on nonsense which these guys did. They could've lived well bellow the money they had and saved stuff, but they didn't. Screw them, and the idea that the NFL should have to hand walk them to the bank to make them save money.

GoBroncos DownUnder
06-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Can we just stop wasting words on this thread?!?! #facepalm

I'll close it with my scientific description of the root of the problem:

"You can't fix stupid!":curtsey:

lonestar
06-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Can we just stop wasting words on this thread?!?! #facepalm

I'll close it with my scientific description of the root of the problem:

"You can't fix stupid!":curtsey:

just bet you have never graced the Political side of the forum.. or your size 7 comment would be a size 28..

maven
06-01-2012, 10:19 PM
With the amount of players who go in/out of the NFL there are bound to be many stories.

Bacchus
06-03-2012, 03:46 PM
"Who am I"? You're someone who made millions of dollars playing a game...Hilarious!

Have a great NFL career, have your fun and when it's over get a decent job in the service industry. It's all good!!

Bacchus
06-03-2012, 03:47 PM
I believe bankruptcy has more to do with the 2,000 lawsuits filed against the NFL than any concussions they may have suffered.

Willynowei
06-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Enlightening article.

Good for a laugh :~ohyah!: