PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning struggles at OTAs

Bronco Rob
05-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Manning not as sharp with his throws Wednesday
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/manning-not-sharp-throws-wednesday-001709740--nfl.html

Peyton Manning struggles at OTAs
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7990126/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-wrs-struggle-long-layoff

Really?

Shananahan
05-31-2012, 12:28 AM
Really?
And yet here we are, in a thread you created about it.

oldustyballs
05-31-2012, 12:51 AM
Please tell me where in either of those articles does in say Peyton wasn't sharp or off on his throws. It says the offense was sloppy as a whole and Peyton and Decker had miscommunications. Which more than likely means Decker was running the wrong routes.

But you are probably right Peyton must have been horrible

BroncoBuff
05-31-2012, 01:21 AM
Maybe he's overrated.

UberBroncoMan
05-31-2012, 02:17 AM
No one is perfect. It's the end of May. He'll be fine. No one is more pissed about today than he is.

KCStud
05-31-2012, 02:21 AM
He's in shorts dude.

Nobody will know how good or bad he is until the games start.

GreatBronco16
05-31-2012, 03:49 AM
Should have just kept he who shall not be named. <sarcasm>

DarkHorse
05-31-2012, 03:51 AM
Put in the next guy :giggle:

TheReverend
05-31-2012, 04:52 AM
Please tell me where in either of those articles does in say Peyton wasn't sharp or off on his throws. It says the offense was sloppy as a whole and Peyton and Decker had miscommunications. Which more than likely means Decker was running the wrong routes.

Decker? Run a wrong route or drop a football?!?!

PREPOSTEROUS!

Next thing you'll try and say is Demaryius took a few snaps off... :nono:

Jay3
05-31-2012, 05:32 AM
Oh no. Peyton is the top-selling jersey guy and so the media will run with this story and publish and re-publish it and talk about it, because of his popularity.

BroncoBuff
05-31-2012, 05:40 AM
Hella bad goods :nono:

broncswin
05-31-2012, 05:44 AM
Broken

canadianbroncosfan
05-31-2012, 06:58 AM
I'm so happy to hear this, Brock will definitely get a start week one now!

BroncoBeavis
05-31-2012, 07:08 AM
Oh no. Peyton is the top-selling jersey guy and so the media will run with this story and publish and re-publish it and talk about it, because of his popularity.

So tired of this circus.

LRtagger
05-31-2012, 07:09 AM
Bust

bronco militia
05-31-2012, 07:24 AM
:~ohyah!:

barryr
05-31-2012, 07:40 AM
One problem reported in another thread was Decker having troubles getting separation, which was a problem I saw with him last season. It doesn't matter who is at QB if the WR can not beat man coverage. Most blame went on Tebow with the poor passing game, but as one can still see, the WR's were hardly blameless. That is why I still see Decker as more a 3rd WR or needs a ton of coaching to figure out how to get open more consistently since he is having troubles just in camp. Manning, like any other QB, is not a miracle worker and can not complete a pass if the WR's do not have some window at least of separation.

Smiling Assassin27
05-31-2012, 07:41 AM
That elongated throwing motion is hard to miss.

Man-Goblin
05-31-2012, 07:55 AM
Defense is obviously so good that even in shorts they can **** up one of the best QBs of all time.

Rigs11
05-31-2012, 08:03 AM
We're ****ed. 4-12:~ohyah!:

Drunk Monkey
05-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Cut him!!!

BroncoMan4ever
05-31-2012, 08:06 AM

^ This ^

Drunk Monkey
05-31-2012, 08:07 AM
One problem reported in another thread was Decker having troubles getting separation, which was a problem I saw with him last season. It doesn't matter who is at QB if the WR can not beat man coverage. Most blame went on Tebow with the poor passing game, but as one can still see, the WR's were hardly blameless. That is why I still see Decker as more a 3rd WR or needs a ton of coaching to figure out how to get open more consistently since he is having troubles just in camp. Manning, like any other QB, is not a miracle worker and can not complete a pass if the WR's do not have some window at least of separation.

Or they just had a sub par pratice.

Kaylore
05-31-2012, 08:27 AM
Or they just had a sub par pratice.

The dusty piece of tape keeping Manning's head on came off. They were forced to rub a melting Popsicle on the seam and hope it stuck enough to hold through practice.

GreatBronco16
05-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Decker? Run a wrong route or drop a football?!?!

PREPOSTEROUS!

Next thing you'll try and say is Demaryius took a few snaps off... :nono:

Hilarious!

pricejj
05-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Decker Timeline:

1. Decker had 22 receptions in the first 5 games of 2011, operating primarily out of the slot (being guarded by 3rd CB).
2. B. Lloyd traded to Rams after game 5.
3. Decker takes B. Lloyds spot, and only gets 22 receptions the remaining 11 games, playing on the outside (being guarded by 1st or 2nd CB).
4. Decker finishes 2011 with 8th worst drop rate among all WR's in the NFL.
5. 1st media OTA - Bailey almosts intercepts a Manning pass, due to Decker's inability to get separation. Lammey reports that Decker has good hands and crisp routes, but can't get separation.
6. 2nd media OTA - Porter break's up 2 passes intended for Decker.

I am starting to see a pattern here...

BroncsRule
05-31-2012, 09:18 AM
What I read here is Perfectionist Peyton wouldn't settle for "sloppy", even in a May OTA..

Works just fine for me.

DBroncos4life
05-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Decker Timeline:

1. Decker had 22 receptions in the first 5 games of 2011, operating primarily out of the slot (being guarded by 3rd CB).
3. Decker takes B. Lloyds spot, and only gets 22 receptions the remaining 11 games, playing on the outside (being guarded by 1st or 2nd CB).
5. 1st media OTA - Bailey almosts intercepts a Manning pass, due to Decker's inability to get separation. Lammey reports that Decker has good hands and crisp routes, but can't get separation.

I am starting to see a pattern here...That we shouldn't have traded Lloyd?

peacepipe
05-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Decker Timeline:

3. Decker takes B. Lloyds spot, and only gets 22 receptions the remaining 11 games, playing on the outside (being guarded by 1st or 2nd CB and having tebow as QB).

FIFY

pricejj
05-31-2012, 10:49 AM
That we shouldn't have traded Lloyd?

*spins chamber, and placed gun to temple...

BroncoBen
05-31-2012, 11:08 AM

Meh ! It's only a OTA and one that is coming off a long Memorial Holiday Weekend. Most articles I read lead me to believe the WRs and TEs were the ones shaking off the rust, not so much PFM.

Turd_Ferguson
05-31-2012, 01:45 PM

You mean the personal protector from the Jets punt team??

Captain 'Dre
05-31-2012, 02:25 PM

This is Decker's third year in the system, and Manning's first.

I think it's less likely that Decker was running the wrong routes than that Manning is still figuring out where the wideouts are supposed to be.

KO5K
05-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Ruh Roh.

Cito Pelon
05-31-2012, 02:35 PM

Decker did last year kind of round off his cuts, not particularly crisp from what I saw. He's ok on the fly routes with his good speed, but didn't fight for the ball as well as you'd like to see with imperfectly thrown balls. He just seemed a little shaky last year, and maybe is still looking a little shaky. Manning had to spend some extra time with him, so .........

KO5K
05-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Decker Timeline:

Decker sucks, there's no two ways about it.

His 'thing' coming out of college was catching balls, he can't catch balls for ****.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Decker came in as a 4th reciever. Below Lloyd royal and Thomas. We're we supposed to expect pro bowl numbers?

Cito Pelon
05-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Decker came in as a 4th reciever. Below Lloyd royal and Thomas. We're we supposed to expect pro bowl numbers?

Some folks apparently did. But, that happens every year. Decker is serviceable for the time being I guess. But replaceable.

BroncoBuff
05-31-2012, 04:01 PM
As long as his neck is okay.

theAPAOps5
05-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Maybe he's overrated.

This, lock the thread!

Broncoman13
05-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Manning struggled running McCoy's offense. That should tell you what the Broncos are planning... Run, run, pass.

Jay3
05-31-2012, 08:00 PM
That we shouldn't have traded Lloyd?

Bingo. Dumping Lloyd for no value made no sense.

Bigdawg26
05-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Bingo. Dumping Lloyd for no value made no sense.

I said the same thing when it happened. But for what it's worth, I guess for less distraction. It's not like we were going to use him when we only threw the ball, but 5 times in the fourth quarter every game.

R-Mac
05-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Depending on Manning's performance this season, the media will keep looking at the Broncos' draft and say they should have taken better weapons to help the 36-year old QB. Brandon Spano predicted Orton-like stats for Manning, based on a game manager role and a good dose of running plays. Something like 28 TDs and less than 4000 yards. The Broncos are not paying an $18 million salary to get these stats. Manning will have to take this offense to a new level and produce like the other top QBs in the league. A lot of fans from other teams have doubts about the quality of Manning's supporting cast in Denver. I thought WR was a bigger need than RB after Gaffney and Lloyd were traded.

Tim
05-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Decker Timeline:

Stats don't tell the tale of Decker. Orton threw to him, Tebow threw over him most of the time.

Defense is much more simple than Offense to grasp so as a unit so the defense is more dominant than the offense in OTAs in late May.

Anikai
05-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Over/Under 85 catches for Eric Decker

Go!

canadianbroncosfan
05-31-2012, 10:21 PM

Thank you, this exactly

pricejj
05-31-2012, 10:31 PM

I would expect a starting WR to be able to get open and catch the ball. If not, put someone out there who can.

The GQ, diva act is stale. Last year the dude couldn't catch crap, and played the blame game.. Now he has the best ball-placement QB of all time throwing to him in non-contact practice, and still can't get open or catch the ball. **** or get off the pot.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-31-2012, 10:34 PM
I would expect a starting WR to be able to get open and catch the ball. If not, put someone out there who can.

The GQ, diva act is stale. Last year the dude couldn't catch crap, and played the blame game.. Now he has the best ball-placement QB of all time throwing to him in non-contact practice, and still can't get open or catch the ball. **** or get off the pot.

You are putting entirely too much stock in an OTA practice you didnt even see

Punisher
05-31-2012, 10:58 PM
http://peakoptionstrader.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/stock_market_crash.jpg

Kaylore
05-31-2012, 10:59 PM
At the halfway mark of the Season, Decker was leading all AFC receivers in touchdowns.

pricejj
05-31-2012, 11:32 PM
You are putting entirely too much stock in an OTA practice you didnt even see

I went to the Jet's game last year, in which dropped every single pass thrown his way. His confidence and focus disappeared in that game (and for the rest of the year). I want Decker to be a great player. Manning knows the importance that Decker has in this Offense. We all want him to succeed...

At the halfway mark of the Season, Decker was leading all AFC receivers in touchdowns.

Thank you. Looking for Decker to blossom like the tiger lillies at Dove Valley. :sunshine:

pricejj
06-01-2012, 12:09 AM
From http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=642971...

moleculo (question) - "Thanks Cecil. any 2 back looks? Manning never used a FB in Indy, but Denver has traditionally. Curious how things are shaping up offensively."
Cecil Lammey - "We're not supposed to comment on formations, so let me put it this way....I imagine the traditional "I" and "Power I" formation will be part of their offense."

Lash (question) - "i need a clarification: in your writeups about Decker not getting separation, you have mentioned Champ Bailey in the same paragraph i think on the first week too (too lazy to look) i'm a glass half full guy so i'm thinking, well Champ is a HOFer is Decker SUPPOSED to be getting separation easily? the clarification i need is DT also being covered by Champ some and still getting open easily or is Champ just on Decker's side all the time?
Cecil Lammey - "Thomas vs Decker is an interesting argument. So far it's Thomas>>>>>Decker. I talked to someone close to the team and he confirmed that's the order. We'll see if they produce in that order this year. I still think DT could get 85 catches and Decker get 75+...both should be heavily used. Decker and DT are both getting coverage from Tracy Porter and Champ Bailey. Loves me some Champ but he's not *quite* the player he used to be. Decker's going to get his fair share of targets, but as a source close to the team told me "DT is the clear #1" Now it's May and things could change, but right now the pecking order with be DT 1 and ED 2 -- I think Tamme is 3rd after that as I'm not expecting much from the slot WR in Denver this year.

Me pointing out Decker not getting separation doesn't mean he sucks, it just means he'll have to make more contested catches and his yards after the catch may be limited. I've always thought he should be put in motion so he'll get a cleaner release and get into his route better. He makes plays when he's getting off coverage, but you can press/bail on him all day. Thomas is not the route runner but he's faster and more physical.

We'll see how this thing plays out in training camp!"

Turd_Ferguson
06-01-2012, 07:19 AM
I went to the Jet's game last year, in which dropped every single pass thrown his way. His confidence and focus disappeared in that game (and for the rest of the year). I want Decker to be a great player. Manning knows the importance that Decker has in this Offense. We all want him to succeed...

You and all the other people hating on Decker, have watched him play with the personal protector from the Jets punt team as his QB. Tebow sucked. Now watch Decker play with Manning, if he sucks with Manning, then he sucks...Period end of story. Manning made Blair White and Austin Collie look good...He will make Decker look good or strangle him in the process.

Butterscotch Stallion
06-01-2012, 07:56 AM
You and all the other people hating on Decker, have watched him play with the personal protector from the Jets punt team as his QB. Tebow sucked. Now watch Decker play with Manning, if he sucks with Manning, then he sucks...Period end of story. Manning made Blair White and Austin Collie look good...He will make Decker look good or strangle him in the process.

You know what may help your analysis? opening your eyes, fagtard.

pricejj
06-01-2012, 08:03 AM

Sure boss. Eric Decker doesn't suck, he just might not be able to consistently get open on the outside. He strengths may be better suited to the slot, kinda like Blair White and Austin Collie. I hope Decker succeeds on the outside, because it would mean that both Tamme and Dreessen can stay on the field (unless McCoy trots out Gronkowski all the time).

Bronco Rob
06-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Broncos aren’t holding back with Peyton Manning

Offensive coordinator Mike McCoy said Thursday he isn’t making any special allowances for the four-time MVP who’s returning from a nerve injury that caused weakness in his throwing arm, forced him to sit out last season and led to his release from the Indianapolis Colts.

McCoy said Manning is working on all of his throws — short, intermediate and deep — in offseason workouts as the Broncos ramp up toward training camp.

McCoy said the other quarterbacks — Caleb Hanie, Adam Weber and rookie Brock Osweiler — have benefited from watching Manning and his famous attention to detail, and he’s encouraging them to ask plenty of questions of the 11-time Pro Bowl player.

McCoy isn’t shy about picking Manning’s brain himself.

After all, McCoy is plucking plenty of plays out of the Colts’ playbook.

He and quarterbacks coach Adam Gase watched Indy’s 2010 game films during the Broncos’ pursuit of Manning

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view.bg?articleid=1061135814&srvc=sports&position=recent

BroncoBuff
06-01-2012, 09:05 AM
McCoy is plucking plenty of plays out of the Colts’ playbook.
That's McCoy's smartest move yet as OC.

Crushaholic
06-01-2012, 12:20 PM

I agree. Cutting Orton was a travesty...

razorwire77
06-01-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm not really sure when for some people the expectation became that if Eric Decker doesn't become a no. 1 WR that he sucks. I mean he's a 3rd round draft pick that runs in the 4.55 range. He's probably not going to blow by a lot of top flight corner backs. I think he'll be an excellent possession receiver. I think he can stretch the field against nickle and dime CBs and safeties. I think he'll have 60 or 70 catches, but I've never gotten the impression that he's going to develop into a game changing WR in the mold of a Calvin Johnson, Fitz, etc. Demaryius on the other hand has the physical tools and speed to be that guy, if he can stay healthy.

Black96WS6
06-01-2012, 01:29 PM
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/1dIhIMhUVtAIBhrnz.c_mw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD0zNTM7cT04NTt3PTUxMg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Sports/ap/201205301404506561943-p2.jpeg

"So Peyton, can you please try to do a better job of getting me the ball? Come on man, do you want to be a slacker your whole life??? "
- Eric Decker

Drunk Monkey
06-01-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm not really sure when for some people the expectation became that if Eric Decker doesn't become a no. 1 WR that he sucks. I mean he's a 3rd round draft pick that runs in the 4.55 range. He's probably not going to blow by a lot of top flight corner backs. I think he'll be an excellent possession receiver. I think he can stretch the field against nickle and dime CBs and safeties. I think he'll have 60 or 70 catches, but I've never gotten the impression that he's going to develop into a game changing WR in the mold of a Calvin Johnson, Fitz, etc. Demaryius on the other hand has the physical tools and speed to be that guy, if he can stay healthy.

Well, he looks like McCaffrey (you know he's white and all that) so he has to at least play like him. Anything short of that equals bust.

broncosteven
06-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I am not worried about a QB on a new team trying to get into sync with new guys on June 1st. Every Qb would have those issues.

I will panic when I hear that he is having pain and is forced to sit out or can't throw.

Tombstone RJ
06-01-2012, 01:47 PM

lol

Tombstone RJ
06-01-2012, 01:51 PM
I remember a few years ago I got a warning from TJ because I posted a "gay slur" about a kc player. I said something along the lines of the kc player was doing a "*** dance" which rhymes with "hag dance" and well, this mightily offended someone here on the Omane, hence, my warning.

but yah, I guess there's all sorts of double standards here on the Omange.

razorwire77
06-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Well, he looks like McCaffrey (you know he's white and all that) so he has to at least play like him. Anything short of that equals bust.

Y' got them white Ed Mac looking receivers, they clap like this y'all.

:)

Bacchus
06-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Manning struggled running McCoy's offense. That should tell you what the Broncos are planning... Run, run, pass.

Run, Run, QB draw up the middle

Kaylore
06-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Run, Run, QB draw up the middle

That would be a hilarious seven on seven - they just keep handing it off.

TheReverend
06-01-2012, 06:30 PM
That would be a hilarious seven on seven - they just keep handing it off.

Manning keepers would be an even funnier 7 on 7

broncosteven
06-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Manning keepers would be an even funnier 7 on 7

The NFL has never seen a QB with the skills Manning has coming out of college.

Manning makes the run game better.

Teams cannot stop him because of his pocket presence and ability to make quick decisions.

If Teams crowd the LOS Manning can get the ball wide and kill them outside.

Amazing how mCg only had about 4 arguments...

gyldenlove
06-01-2012, 08:18 PM
The real tragedy is that we signed Manning now. Imagine how many people in here would be passing out from fapping induced dehydration and exhaustion if we had signed Manning and hired Mcdaniels as head coach in the same off season - the magnitude of circlejerking would be intolerable.

Missouribronc
06-01-2012, 08:32 PM

He's right. Judging any wide receiver when Tebow was his quarterback is pretty stupid.

Tebow was, literally, one of the worst passers ever last season. Rivaled Akili Smith, it was that bad.

Hard to judge wide receivers when the quarterback can't hit the broad side of a barn from two feet away.

broncosteven
06-01-2012, 08:51 PM
He's right. Judging any wide receiver when Tebow was his quarterback is pretty stupid.

Tebow was, literally, one of the worst passers ever last season. Rivaled Akili Smith, it was that bad.

Hard to judge wide receivers when the quarterback can't hit the broad side of a barn from two feet away.

I remember watching Henry Burris try to play QB for duh bears one year when I went to see Denver play in Champaign IL, I think he may have even started for them a couple weeks that year.

Anyway he was the worst passer I think I have ever seen live at least. There have been a lot of bad QB's through the years for sure but he is the one I remember for suckage.

I don't think Tebow was the worst passer ever, he is actually more consistent than Quinn, I just don't think he will be able to make it at the NFL level with his delivery and his decision making. He played above avg in a couple games but those last 5 of the regular season soured me on him, that includes the Chicago game.

Archer81
06-01-2012, 10:06 PM

Uhh...

...really?

:Broncos: