PDA

View Full Version : 1991 AFC Div Playoff Houston Oilers vs Denver Broncos

Bronco Rob
05-30-2012, 08:35 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7YS8MCPk11w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lNFIZuxqTww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:thumbs:

Jason in LA
05-30-2012, 08:40 PM
That's one of my favorite Broncos game ever! But the next week, yeah, damnit!

mwill07
05-30-2012, 10:20 PM
First Pro game I ever went to. Broncos were having trouble selling playoff tix after 3 SB losses. Somehow my dad was able to buy tix from ticketmaster @ 2nd row of the upper deck, and took me for a Christmas present.

It. Was.Awesome.

Anikai
05-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Just watched the whole thing. Haven't seen that since I was 7. It looks like we were playing Prevent D the entire time.

pricejj
05-31-2012, 12:57 AM
So many Bronco greats in that game: Elway, Vance Johnson, Ricky Nattiel, Shannon Sharpe, Steve Sewell, Clarence Kay, Greg Kragen, Karl Mecklenburg, Simon Fletcher, Steve Atwater, Dennis Smith, Tyrone Braxton, David Treadwell...and what a hold by Kubiak for the winning field goal...what a game.

Interesting note: Haywood Jeffires from the Oilers, became only the 6th WR in NFL history to have 100 receptions in the 1991 season. My how times have changed.

Jetmeck
05-31-2012, 01:05 AM
No pressure from our DTs back then either....lol

Whatever happened to Croel...remember him but where did he go ?

Moon was a stud.....we were damn lucky to have had ELWAY.

Denver you have been blessed with some great football......looking forward to

Manning adding to that...........!!!

Bronco Rob
05-31-2012, 01:17 AM

Whatever happened to Croel...remember him but where did he go ?

I remember Meck saying something to the exent that Croel wasn't a very smart player after his break out rookie season..

orange crusher
05-31-2012, 01:35 AM
First Pro game I ever went to. Broncos were having trouble selling playoff tix after 3 SB losses. Somehow my dad was able to buy tix from ticketmaster @ 2nd row of the upper deck, and took me for a Christmas present.

It. Was.Awesome.

I remember seeing something in my local newspaper about tickets being available. I called the ticket office and got lower level seats around the 20 yd line. I'll bet a lot of people were wishing they would have gone. I remember Elway saying several years later that it was his most memorable game. Out of the games I've attended, it's mine too.

pricejj
05-31-2012, 08:10 AM

We were running a 3-4 with Mecklenburg on the line that game. For the year, Mecklenburg had 9 sacks and Fletcher had 13.5...not too shabby. You can tell the effect that Mile High crowd noise had on the game. Every single one of those people was screaming like I do, the rare chance I get to go to a game...too bad other people don't do that anymore.

jsco70
05-31-2012, 08:14 AM
I remember seeing something in my local newspaper about tickets being available. I called the ticket office and got lower level seats around the 20 yd line. I'll bet a lot of people were wishing they would have gone. I remember Elway saying several years later that it was his most memorable game. Out of the games I've attended, it's mine too.

Same here. Rocky Mountain News stated there were tickets so one of my best friends and I went down, got tickets in the north endzone. Mile High was rocking like nothing I had ever seen before or since. Sadly, he died in a car wreck a couple years later. A truly unforgettable game and memory.

socalorado
05-31-2012, 08:59 AM
That game was awesome! I talked huge crap before, during and after that game and was chased out of my friends house by his dad after the game!
Thank the Lord for Elway. I just remember walking home laughing all the way, not a care in the world, knowing as long as DEN had Elway, it was all good.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-31-2012, 08:59 AM
1991 Denver broncos are Cartmans father.

barryr
05-31-2012, 09:09 AM
The Broncos had Mecklenburg, Fletcher, and Rulon Jones for pass rushers, so they could get after the QB. But they were kind of slow in spots and not so big either, so had troubles with teams that had quite a bit of speed on offense or had power running games.

socalorado
05-31-2012, 09:10 AM
On a side note. Those Houston Unis are light years better than anything both TENN or the current HOU team have ever had. TENN current uni's are putrid.
Man, they F'd up a perfectly good uni.

Blart
05-31-2012, 09:16 AM
When our O was on the field I looked at Warren Moon on the sidelines, I knew there was nothing more he'd like than to be a linebacker. Guy played his heart out all day.

WolfpackGuy
05-31-2012, 09:22 AM
I thought the Oilers were going to blow them out of the building when they had 3 effortless TD drives to start the game.

What was the deal with the snaps on FG's/XP's that day?

They botched one and almost blew the game winner if not for Kubiak smothering it.

But what a win!

pricejj
05-31-2012, 09:36 AM
I think they said Keith Kartz was hurt, and one of the Widell's was filling in for him...Widell slid over from OG to Center, and they had a new OG starting in his place.

That pass that Elway flipped to Vance Johnson was crazy. It would be tough to catch that ball with all the pressure. The crowd was freaking lights out.

It's crazy that both Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater were 6'3". Talk about some bruisers.

...And Greg Kragen 6'3" 265 lbs. 3-4 NT...whoah man.

I remember thinking Wade Phillips was a piece of crap back in the day...but he is one heckuva Defensive Coordinator. We were lucky to have him as DC from 89-92.

KipCorrington25
05-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Like others above I was there too, also just went down to the stadium and picked up tickets that week.

Bronco Rob
06-01-2012, 11:11 PM
I forgot how much of a blatant Bronco hater ole Todd Christensen was, he never missed an opportunity to take a swipe at Denver throughout the entire broadcast.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-01-2012, 11:50 PM
I remember my heart dropping on that low snap...then me running through the halls cheering.

Jetmeck
06-02-2012, 12:28 AM
We were running a 3-4 with Mecklenburg on the line that game. For the year, Mecklenburg had 9 sacks and Fletcher had 13.5...not too shabby. You can tell the effect that Mile High crowd noise had on the game. Every single one of those people was screaming like I do, the rare chance I get to go to a game...too bad other people don't do that anymore.

maybe but no pressure from anyone in that game..................

Gcver2ver3
06-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Thanks for posting BR... rep to you...

I hadnt seen that game in over 20 yrs... interesting how time slants the memory... i was just a kid when i watched that game... after having watched it now i see some things i dont recall the first time...

We caught a decent number of breaks that game... for one, the oilers were committing a ton of dumb penalties allowing our slow moving offense to remain in the game in the first half after falling to an early two td deficit...

Also, the broncos caught a huge break with the steve atwater int that to me looked like a blantant non catch even by old rules...

We also caught some breaks with houstons injuries on the offensive and defensive lines... ray childress was a beast back in the day but was terribly limited due to injury...

I thought denvers offensive and defensive playcalling was horrible... it amazes me how elway led us to wins despite the teams strategies... the houston wrs were allowed to roam free when we shouldve been knocking them silly...

Elway was amazing... he constantly bailed us out of games... this game was yet another example of denver winning a game despite being outplayed... that often happened when we had elway...

After elways retirement i became accustomed to the opposite... i'd see us outplay teams but find ways to let teams back in and at times lose games we shouldve won...

Los Broncos
06-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Is this the game where the Oiler players were taunting Elway from the sideline?