PDA

View Full Version : Siliga

MABroncoFan
05-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Lindsay Jones‏@PostBroncos

Sealver Siliga getting work with first team D at d tackle (with Bannan) today. #broncos

BMarsh615
05-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Aren't these non-contact practices? I don't think the OL and DL are even allowed to go against eachother.

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 11:08 AM
That can't be right because I was told none of those guys played UT.

bronco militia
05-30-2012, 11:09 AM
http://blogs.wabash.edu/lanelines/files/2011/08/Iverson.jpg

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-30-2012, 11:12 AM

Didn't you hear? Super bowls are won in May

Lestat
05-30-2012, 11:18 AM

best rant ever!!! never gets old.

i guess they really like what he brings to the table at DT. i know it was said they liked him but him running with the ones is surprising.

MABroncoFan
05-30-2012, 11:21 AM
best rant ever!!! never gets old.

i guess they really like what he brings to the table at DT. i know it was said they liked him but him running with the ones is surprising.

Of course Warren and Wolfe aren't there ... but we don't know if Warren will ever be there.

bronco militia
05-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Didn't you hear? Super bowls are won in May

I didn't know you are a Chiefs fan

;D

MABroncoFan
05-30-2012, 11:25 AM
There was another tweet that Page, Thompson, Decker, and Hillman were practicing at PR.

Bmore Manning
05-30-2012, 11:29 AM
I read that Denver was big on Siliga, can someone provide me with some opinion/analysis of this kid?

CEH
05-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Amon Gordon started for Denver a couple years ago.

Lestat
05-30-2012, 11:38 AM

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs17/f/2007/193/4/d/I_quiver_with_fear__v2_by_lambini.jpg

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 11:41 AM
There was another tweet that Page, Thompson, Decker, and Hillman were practicing at PR.

Good that clears up some issues I was having with SP teams players.

bronco militia
05-30-2012, 11:42 AM
I wonder who's the new punt protector/FB/TE/QB?

DenverBrit
05-30-2012, 11:43 AM
I read that Denver was big on Siliga, can someone provide me with some opinion/analysis of this kid?

There's not much on the kid.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xib26e"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xib26e_sealver-siliga-draft-profile_sport" target="_blank">Sealver Siliga Draft Profile</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/ProFootballWeekly" target="_blank">ProFootballWeekly</a></i>

A brief profile from ugh! 'Belcher report.'

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1180503-denver-broncos-defense-projections-is-sealver-siliga-the-new-nose-tackle

Lestat
05-30-2012, 11:44 AM

honestly i would love to see Page as the PR and Hillman and Page as the KR's.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-30-2012, 11:44 AM
I didn't know you are a Chiefs fan

;D

Ha! Touche

Lestat
05-30-2012, 11:47 AM
There's not much on the kid.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xib26e"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xib26e_sealver-siliga-draft-profile_sport" target="_blank">Sealver Siliga Draft Profile</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/ProFootballWeekly" target="_blank">ProFootballWeekly</a></i>

glad to know i wasn't remembering incorrectly when i thought he was a NT type. but 305 is kinda light for a nose. even in a 4-3 i'd think they'd want him at 315 or so.

Bmore Manning
05-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Well teams tend to run more on first down, so Siliga at NT and Bannan as the UT run defender seems reasonable..?

pricejj
05-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Meet your new back-up UT, Sealver Siliga. Goodbye Ty Warren.

Bigdawg26
05-30-2012, 01:05 PM
It's way to early to declare him a starter or if he's going to be the surprise of training camp.

Lestat
05-30-2012, 01:07 PM
It's way to early to declare him a starter or if he's going to be the surprise of training camp.

Dorsett Davis says shame on you.

broncosteven
05-30-2012, 01:08 PM

Remember when Tim Crowder was the surprise hit of TC for the 1st week then didn't even make the team?

bronco militia
05-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Dorsett Davis says shame on you.

Hilarious!

Bigdawg26
05-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Remember when Tim Crowder was the surprise hit of TC for the 1st week then didn't even make the team?

Yeah! I remember when I think Mike Bell was named starter when he was undrafted rookie during training camp.

MABroncoFan
05-30-2012, 01:33 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/05/30/peyton-manning-sharp-wednesday-practice/13777/

Peyton struggled today.
Meanwhile, Hanie hit Caldwell on a 50 yrd TD.
QB controversy brewing? :)

Lestat
05-30-2012, 01:49 PM
a pass hits mays in the gut and this mother drops it cause he's dreaming of a pick six? waste of 4 mil. i swear, ELWAY IS TEARING THIS TEAM APART!

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 02:17 PM
a pass hits mays in the gut and this mother drops it cause he's dreaming of a pick six? waste of 4 mil. i swear, ELWAY IS TEARING THIS TEAM APART!

The fact that he was able to get in position to break up a pass is a HUGE step.

Shananahan
05-30-2012, 03:30 PM
How awesome would it be for this kid to turn out to be a good player?

Drek
05-30-2012, 04:03 PM

Good size for a 4-3 NT type, was stout against the run in college though it wasn't in a run dominant conference. Most frequent comment on him was that he was leaving too early (true junior) and needed to stay another year to further develop.

He was then signed as a UDFA by the 49ers, but was cut in final cut downs after the pre-season. Denver signed him to a futures contract not long after.

Not really a whole lot to go on. For Utah he was solid at filling gaps. It'll be interesting this camp to see what a he's maturing into. If he's put on a little more muscle weight and has polished up technically he could be a worthwhile rotational guy with long term potential.

Lestat
05-30-2012, 04:20 PM
The fact that he was able to get in position to break up a pass is a HUGE step.

not gonna lie, that did somewhat amaze me. i did a triple take when i saw that. i was like "did he just say Joe Mays?"

Bmore Manning
05-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Good size for a 4-3 NT type, was stout against the run in college though it wasn't in a run dominant conference. Most frequent comment on him was that he was leaving too early (true junior) and needed to stay another year to further develop.

He was then signed as a UDFA by the 49ers, but was cut in final cut downs after the pre-season. Denver signed him to a futures contract not long after.

Not really a whole lot to go on. For Utah he was solid at filling gaps. It'll be interesting this camp to see what a he's maturing into. If he's put on a little more muscle weight and has polished up technically he could be a worthwhile rotational guy with long term potential.

Thanks Drek, though I'd much prefer his former teammate Star Loutelei

elsid13
05-30-2012, 07:16 PM

So would everyone else when given the choice between the two.

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 07:18 PM
So would everyone else when given the choice between the two.

Our FO let us down yet again in value.

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 07:27 PM
I prefer Star Lorelei :P

TheReverend
05-30-2012, 07:28 PM
How awesome would it be for this kid to turn out to be a good player?

He's a fantastic developmental prospect with a meh skill-set but yes, please measurables.

Odd OM fact re: Siliga - I went after him semi-chubbed boner in the OM mock UDFA a year ago but lost out to Requiem.

Siliga can definitely develop into a solid player

^ Pre 2011 Draft

DENVERDUI55
05-30-2012, 08:41 PM
As a Ute fan I thought he could be a solid rotation guy. He won't give you much pass rush but he is a typical U of U NFL DL. Not many people mention how many starting Ute DL there are in the NFL. I hope he developes into a space eater for Denver.

Bacchus
05-31-2012, 04:27 AM

Crowder did make the team. I remember him returning a fumble for a TD against the Steelers in a prime time game. He got like 5 sacks his rookie year. I thought he was going to be great.

Drek
05-31-2012, 04:48 AM

Still might, never know.

TheReverend
05-31-2012, 05:44 AM
Crowder did make the team. I remember him returning a fumble for a TD against the Steelers in a prime time game. He got like 5 sacks his rookie year. I thought he was going to be great.

He's talking about 2009 when Crowder was the TC star at OLB

eddie mac
05-31-2012, 05:56 AM

He's still starting only over Poe this time in KC.

Bmore Manning
05-31-2012, 06:28 AM
Our FO let us down yet again in value.

There you are again on cue, with your normal douchey antics.

Bmore Manning
05-31-2012, 07:06 AM
Price Siliga will be a NT for Denver with Bannan as the three tech run defender. You had them backwards. Siliga is weighing around 340 pounds.. He's not rushing the passer!

pricejj
05-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Price Siliga will be a NT for Denver with Bannan as the three tech run defender. You had them backwards. Siliga is weighing around 340 pounds.. He's not rushing the passer!

Siliga weighs 340 now? Holy crap, must have missed that news. All I know is Bannan proclaimed, "I'm here to take on double teams", as he walked through the doors at Dove Valley...I had him penciled in at NT. I guess Ty Warren not showing up, switched Bannan's position to UT?

TheReverend
05-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Siliga weighs 340 now? Holy crap, must have missed that news. All I know is Bannan proclaimed, "I'm here to take on double teams", as he walked through the doors at Dove Valley...I had him penciled in at NT. I guess Ty Warren not showing up, switched Bannan's position to UT?

People need to stop being hung up on NT/UT.

For Fox and JDR both DTs will be gap-edging.

orinjkrush
05-31-2012, 08:12 AM
how in the heck is his name pronounced? (too lazy to google it.)

Silvah Solja?

pricejj
05-31-2012, 08:19 AM

Was Bunkley gap-edging last year?

Bmore Manning
05-31-2012, 08:27 AM

What do you mean don't get hung up, the technique and alignment are important.

MABroncoFan
05-31-2012, 08:30 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20746617/broncos-defensive-tackle-sealver-siliga-making-most-his

This says he's in the 330-340 range. Was thought to be a mid round pick last year but went undrafted.

Paul Soliai was a 4th round pick for Miami. Maybe Siliga can be similar to him in time.

DBroncos4life
05-31-2012, 08:32 AM
There you are again on cue, with your normal douchey antics.

Maybe you should stop wanting people that aren't a ****ing option at the moment.

TheReverend
05-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Was Bunkley gap-edging last year?

Along with MT, yes.

Bmore Manning
05-31-2012, 08:35 AM
Maybe you should stop wanting people that aren't a ****ing option at the moment.

Your pathetic. I can say whatever I want, and say I would like to draft whoever I want.

Bmore Manning
05-31-2012, 08:36 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20746617/broncos-defensive-tackle-sealver-siliga-making-most-his

This says he's in the 330-340 range. Was thought to be a mid round pick last year but went undrafted.

Paul Soliai was a 4th round pick for Miami. Maybe Siliga can be similar to him in time.

That would be amazing!

barryr
05-31-2012, 08:43 AM
The Broncos just need someone inside right now to help take up space and occupy blockers so the LB's can make more plays. If he can play that role and Wolfe come in and provide at least an occasional pass rush inside to go with Miller and Dumervil on the outside, the defense will be much improved.

pricejj
05-31-2012, 08:46 AM
Siliga for starting NT? That would be quite the turnaround for a 2nd year UDFA, who was on the practice squad last year.

DBroncos4life
05-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Your pathetic. I can say whatever I want, and say I would like to draft whoever I want.

Damn straight you can and I can respond however I like too. I look forward too every better player you prefer over the fluff piece said article is about.

Bmore Manning
05-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Damn straight you can and I can respond however I like too. I look forward too every better player you prefer over the fluff piece said article is about.

Your pretty cool

Drek
05-31-2012, 09:10 AM

Looks to me like the FO plans to have themselves a wealth of gap fillers, with Siliga and Vickerson both adding weight and bringing Bannan in.

The notion that we were focused entirely on the pass rush and ignoring run deficiency seems to be false. Instead we're heavy on gap fillers at DT with Wolfe as the only true DT pass rusher. With Ayers and Malik Jackson both having the flexibility to play DE and rush the passer form inside it makes some sense.

My early prognostication would be that we'll see a lot of the Siliga/Bannan/Vickerson trio on running downs, one of them paired with Wolfe or Warren on either/or downs, and a Warren/Wolfe/Ayers/Jackson mash up for passing downs.

I feel better about our depth going into this season than last. My concerns in camp last season were:
- Thomas looking more and more like a washout.
- Vickerson changing roles AND body type completely (losing a ton of weight).
- Warren's health.
- No young depth worth speaking of.
- Bunkley was nothing more than a journeyman who wasn't great against the run and worse against the pass in Philly.
- McBean was a career 3-4 DE we were now making into an interior player.

This season:
- Bunkley is gone after proving himself as a run stuffer, but Bannan is a proven run stuffer himself and is replacing him. Feel ok there.
- Vickerson is back up to his normal playing weight and will be a gap filler, not asked to be something he's never been before. Its our best chance to get good play out of him.
- Warren is still the same unhealthy question mark as before.
- McBean and Thomas are gone, replaced by two guys with more upside. Wolfe, a high pedigree draftee with some real pass rush skills and every down potential, and Siliga who looks to be a gap filling big body, which is more than either McBean or Thomas could say (since both were turnstiles in the run game).

If nothing else we've got enough solid journeyman bodies to slow up opposing run games and make life a little easier on DJ, Mays, Miller, etc. cleaning up behind them. If we can get a Bunkley step forward type year out of Siliga or Vickerson we'll have a better DT corps than last year. If Wolfe or Warren shows up in the pass rush we'll be significantly better off.

Bmore Manning
05-31-2012, 09:28 AM
I think Siliga and Bannan on run downs..
Vickerson and Wolfe/Warren on in between downs..
And Wolfe and Ayers/Jackson on passing downs is very solid.

Drek
05-31-2012, 10:14 AM

I think we'll see a mash up of utilization, but yes, that would be the general trend.

Thought if Warren is healthy and effective I'd expect him to eat up a lot of mixed duty and obvious passing downs.

Lestat
05-31-2012, 10:32 AM
good to know he's bulked up. i knew he was a NT type but 305-307 seemed light as hell for a true NT. at 330-340 he's got the bulk to eat up two blockers and be stout against the run. should be interesting to see if he can develop into his potential.

would be great if he could. would mean a lot to the run defense.

socalorado
05-31-2012, 10:39 AM
I still say trade a 4th to DET for Sammie Lee Hill, darnit.
Of course DEN could have had him during the draft for a 4th, but now that Fairley
is in trouble, DET might want to keep him. Dammit!

Paladin
05-31-2012, 10:49 AM

No Doom? I uderstand you are talking DTs, but Doom fits in the pass rush somewhere.

(This message was typed without the aid of Mrs. TOG's nipples.)

Lestat
05-31-2012, 10:50 AM
he would probably take multiple picks or a 3rd and none of which i want to see Denver dealing away for him. he's young and solid but the Broncos love to move around and they need as many picks as possible to go up and down the draft board.

Bmore Manning
05-31-2012, 11:12 AM
No Doom? I uderstand you are talking DTs, but Doom fits in the pass rush somewhere.

(This message was typed without the aid of Mrs. TOG's nipples.)

Strictly DTs there..

Boomhauer
06-01-2012, 09:45 PM

I'm starting to think the same thing after a DenverPost article today. Along the lines of Del Rio telling Vickerson a while back that he liked fat azzes. Normal 4-3 DT looks are either a nose and an up tackle; or two mobile, but average DTs that's best against passing teams.

Del Rio seems to want two noses over 315lbs crushing the middle to free up the ends and LBs. Vickerson and Siliga are supposed to be +330lbs right now, but will probably drop once training starts. Add in Bannan at an easy +315lbs and that's a good 2-down rotation.
On the lighter side Wolfe, Unrein and Garland will probably play just under 300lbs, maybe at LDE and than at UT on passing downs. Might even see two of them in for a two-DT look at times. Begs the question how our typical LDEs fit into the plan.

DENVERDUI55
08-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Meet your new back-up UT, Sealver Siliga. Goodbye Ty Warren.

Hmm:.........