PDA

View Full Version : Finally a Football Article from Kirwan: "The Inside Triangle..."

cmhargrove
05-30-2012, 10:40 AM
'Inside triangle' key to every team's 1st- and 2nd-down success on D
By Pat Kirwan | CBSSports.com NFL Insider

We hear coaches say "it all starts up front." when describing what a good football team looks like. That's not entirely accurate because what coaches really mean is "it starts up front inside."

It doesn't matter if your favorite team is in a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense there is an inside triangle that is the foundation of the defense and if it isn't rock solid the rest of the package will crumble.

The inside triangles look like this:
The 3-4 inside triangle: Two inside linebackers and the nose tackle.

The 4-3 inside triangle: Two defensive tackles and the middle linebacker.

There are different philosophies about the inside triangle with all fronts. Two 4-3 coaches may build entirely different inside triangles. Same for any two 3-4 coaches.

For example:
Shade 4-3 inside triangle front: A DT on the outside shoulder of a guard, a nose tackle on a side of the center and the MLB in a gap.

Base 4-3 inside traingle front: But both defensive tackles over the guards and the MLB over the center.

Read the full article, including the analysis of Kirwan's top triangle groups here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19195136/inside-triangle-key-to-every-teams-1st-and-2nddown-success-on-d

It is finally a piece of writing that says something about football. Not crappy gossip and heresay, actual football.

Anyway, it brings up interesting points, but I don't know how relevant this is in today's pass happy NFL. For the leagues top passing teams, first and second down are no longer just passing downs, and certainly a Manning led offense will take advantage of certain personnel groupings.

However, in the AFC West, we definitely know that early down run defense usually sets the tone. It will be interesting to see which "triangle" gets the starting nod for us.

ludo21
05-30-2012, 10:59 AM
So who is our Triangle?

Mays, Baanan, and Wolfe???

cutthemdown
05-30-2012, 11:04 AM
I've been saying for awhile though the middle linebackers, or the inside linebackers when we did a 3-4 were just as bad if not worst then our DT play. Our linebacking has been stinknig it up bad.

Bmore Manning
05-30-2012, 11:09 AM
I feel like Kanye sitting in the Kobe Bryant Triangle Offense seminar, just looking at the Broncos Triangle, but I play Kanye and Del Rio plays Kobe.

Me: How much better will our inside Triangle make our run D?
Del Rio: Better.

Me: But Jack, the Triangle doesn't seem improved, how will they be better?
Del Rio: Better.

Me: Well how will your changes make us better?
Del Rio: Your Welcome.

Me: What the **** does that mean? What the **** is he talking about?

Lestat
05-30-2012, 11:31 AM
So who is our Triangle?

Mays, Baanan, and Wolfe???

hopefully it'll be Warren,Wolfe and Irving but yours sounds like it's what we'll end up with.

Cmac821
05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
This makes me think of the older Madden's that let you create defense formations and plays. It proved to me I have no idea how a defense should work and there is a reason almost all defensive formations are standardized now