PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton: "I was very immature'

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Cam Newton says he was a bad teammate during his Rookie of the Year 2011 season, but his fellow Carolina Panthers say he just needs to trust them more.

In an interview with Yahoo! Sports, Newton says he had difficulty adjusting to losing during Carolina's 6-10 season.

"I was very immature," Newton told Yahoo! of his reaction after losses. "I'll be the first one to tell you, the pouting and the moping, I kind of overdid it. I know that. I was a bad teammate. I shut off to some people who gave unbelievable effort. ... That's where I have to mature."

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7985305

He is going to be scary when he puts it all together.

Jason in LA
05-30-2012, 08:10 AM
It's good that he recognizes his faults. The question now is will he be able to change those things? A lot of people know what their problems are but they fail to change them. But I agree, if he puts it all together, damn, look out, he's going to dominate this league. It's a trip how much hate he got around here, and there is a really good chance that he'll turnout to be a great player.

El Guapo
05-30-2012, 08:11 AM
He never will, no worries. Just another punk.

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 08:17 AM
It's good that he recognizes his faults. The question now is will he be able to change those things? A lot of people know what their problems are but they fail to change them. But I agree, if he puts it all together, damn, look out, he's going to dominate this league. It's a trip how much hate he got around here, and there is a really good chance that he'll turnout to be a great player.

I think if he wasn't so linked with Tebow people wouldn't be so willing to dog his success as a rookie.

DenverBroncosJM
05-30-2012, 08:27 AM
I think if he didn't come across as such a douche bag people would have been more excited for him and his play.

Not sure Tebow has anything to do with Cam acting an ass most of the season

RhymesayersDU
05-30-2012, 08:32 AM

I agree, black people are scary.

Kaylore
05-30-2012, 08:49 AM
I think if he didn't come across as such a douche bag people would have been more excited for him and his play.

Not sure Tebow has anything to do with Cam acting an ass most of the season

That Under Armor commercial where he screams "What?" at the camera doesn't help.

BroncoBeavis
05-30-2012, 08:59 AM
I think if he wasn't so linked with Tebow people wouldn't be so willing to dog his success as a rookie.

I don't think he was being dogged (on the field) so much as being used as a point of comparison.

Off the field, his attitude and history deserve to get dogged.

hookemhess
05-30-2012, 09:01 AM

I'm not a big fan because I think he's over hyped by the media. And I have an annoying friend who is a super fan... but how is he "just another punk" exactly?

Tombstone RJ
05-30-2012, 09:03 AM
the irony of the new more mature Cam is that it's still all about Cam... dude is a flaming ego monster.

peacepipe
05-30-2012, 09:03 AM
I think if he wasn't so linked with Tebow people wouldn't be so willing to dog his success as a rookie.linked with tebow? how so? they're not even in the same league.

Dr. Broncenstein
05-30-2012, 09:04 AM
That Under Armor commercial where he screams "What?" at the camera doesn't help.

The target audience for that commercial are likely a bunch of people who annoy you.

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 09:14 AM
linked with tebow? how so? they're not even in the same league.

Florida/SEC/Similar systems in college and overall ablilites.

Drunk Monkey
05-30-2012, 09:16 AM

I mutter jack ass every time I see that commercial.

peacepipe
05-30-2012, 09:23 AM

in bold is about it. tebow is not even in the same ball park when it comes to abilities. not even close.

spdirty
05-30-2012, 09:25 AM
I loved him last year...he made me look smart in fantasy football.

Chris
05-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Grade A Flava Clown I'll believe it when I see it.

Jay3
05-30-2012, 09:43 AM

It is good -- if he recognizes this, the sky is the limit for him.

It's strange that Cam can see it, his teammates can see, but he has his ardent defenders that refuse to see what a punk he was last year.

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 09:43 AM
in bold is about it. tebow is not even in the same ball park when it comes to abilities. not even close.

I disagree. Newton just got away from a very poor developing coach when it comes to QBs in Urban Myers.

Jay3
05-30-2012, 09:45 AM

Both ran for a historic number of carries last year by a quarterback (with Cam running it more and shattering the record for touchdowns by a quarterback). Tebow started less games, so he ran it at a slightly higher rate (though admittedly in a run-oriented offense.) Cam ran it a great deal, though, and is the only other run threat QB who can take it between the tackles.

But you will get the inevitable knee-jerk reaction from some who are emotionally invested in the idea that there is no comparison between the two.

Drek
05-30-2012, 09:56 AM

Pretty much. Cam is all sizzle, no steak. All flash, no substance. He has no where near the ability to flip the switch late in games and will his team to wins as Tebow.

You put Tebow in Newton's shoes last year and he might not have quite the numbers, though close, but the Panthers would have won two or three more games.

Beantown Bronco
05-30-2012, 09:57 AM
You put Tebow in Newton's shoes last year and he might not have quite the numbers, though close, but the Panthers would have won two or three more games.

Not without my adopt a bronco :)

Bob's your Information Minister
05-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Pretty much. Cam is all sizzle, no steak. All flash, no substance. He has no where near the ability to flip the switch late in games and will his team to wins as Tebow.

You are a ****ing moron.

That team struggled to win games with the QB throwing for FOUR THOUSAND YARDS and running for SEVEN HUNDRED.

DarkHorse30
05-30-2012, 10:08 AM
the irony of the new more mature Cam is that it's still all about Cam... dude is a flaming ego monster.

agreed, his commercial makes me ill. And is improving from 2 wins to 6 wins really all that impressive? I bet even Matt Cassill could do that......

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 10:08 AM

What a ****ing joke of a post.

peacepipe
05-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Both ran for a historic number of carries last year by a quarterback (with Cam running it more and shattering the record for touchdowns by a quarterback). Tebow started less games, so he ran it at a slightly higher rate (though admittedly in a run-oriented offense.) Cam ran it a great deal, though, and is the only other run threat QB who can take it between the tackles.

But you will get the inevitable knee-jerk reaction from some who are emotionally invested in the idea that there is no comparison between the two.

poor arguement on your part. cams' a better runner,but most importantly what counts,the only thing that counts, is cam can play QB. nothing emotional about it. the facts are cam proved he can be the face/QBOTF on an NFL team.
BTW tebow even had a full off-season/TC when drafted,he also had a full yr of watching and learning the system. he even started 3 games in his 1st yr. cam had what?.. lets' see as a true rookie cam newton threw for 4,051 yds, and here's the kicker he completed 60% of his passes. If cam played for denver we would not have had to back in to playoffs. we would've walked in without question.Tebow will be a back up QB/gimic player at best in the NFL.Assuming he is still in the league 2 yrs from now.

BTW,I thought Cam would be a bust coming inout of college.I didn't think he stood a chance. he's proved quite abit.

BroncoBeavis
05-30-2012, 10:13 AM
You are a ****ing moron.

That team struggled to win games with the QB throwing for FOUR THOUSAND YARDS and running for SEVEN HUNDRED.

You forgot about the 17 INT's.

Beantown Bronco
05-30-2012, 10:15 AM

You have to throw the ball at least 17 times to throw 17 INTs. :)

Bmore Manning
05-30-2012, 10:15 AM

Are you serious? And the poster talking about comparisons didn't mean Tebow wasn't in the same ballpark as Cam because he was better. He clearly ment that Tim couldn't hold a candle to Cams skill set. Cam can not only run, but he can throw and throw well.

Bob's your Information Minister
05-30-2012, 10:16 AM

He's was a goddamn rookie.

Dude is going to be a beast.

Bmore Manning
05-30-2012, 10:16 AM

Lol! Yessssssss!

Lestat
05-30-2012, 10:20 AM
most of the issues people have with him are the way he carries himself. he comes off as cocky as hell and Jay Cutler like. he's linked to Tebow because he was seen as a similar QB prospect before he developed more as a passer.

Tebow is the guy you love as a person and Newton is the guy you hate.
but Newton is the type of guy where if he gets to the mentality of raising his level and the level of everyone around him it won't matter so long as he wins.
any really good or better QB has to be cocky, some show it in different ways and the ways Cam shows it rub people the wrong way.
he basically put it out there that everything he does he expects to do or do better and can't understand why people are stunned when he does it.

Lestat
05-30-2012, 10:22 AM

wait, you're saying NFL QB's are supposed to throw the ball? i thought they were supposed to run it and have fans claim the team shackled them when he couldn't pass worth a damn.

El Guapo
05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
I agree, black people are scary.

I see what you did there, but that's not what I meant. :kiss:

BroncoBeavis
05-30-2012, 11:16 AM
wait, you're saying NFL QB's are supposed to throw the ball? i thought they were supposed to run it and have fans claim the team shackled them when he couldn't pass worth a damn.

As soon as you can show me the team (other than the McBroncos) that opened a game running on 8 consecutive first downs, we'll talk.

Or even better, a team that ran 21 of 23 times on first down, and still had a QB put up 300 yards passing.

Show me a similar example, and we'll stop talking about shackles.

Archer81
05-30-2012, 11:27 AM
So last season was the only time he was immature?

Stealing a latptop and transferring schools (and getting paid to do it) were just strange coincidences? Kid is talented but comes off as a total ass hat.

:Broncos:

BroncoMan4ever
05-30-2012, 11:30 AM

i think a lot of the hate came because he had an extremely similar skill set to Tebow(but he could throw the ball) and he was getting accolades in sports shows and winning player of the week awards and ended up as Rookie of the Year. Even though he was losing and being a dick.

While here in Denver we had Tebow, who has similar abilities and was winning, but the media was still talking **** about how Denver would never win consistently with the guy.

truthfully i am lukewarm about Newton. main reason is his attitude. i see the guy with great ability, but not great mentally. i see a more athletic Jay Cutler. he can get by on athletic talent, but i don't think he will ever be great like he could be.

peacepipe
05-30-2012, 11:32 AM
i think a lot of the hate came because he had an extremely similar skill set to Tebow(but he could throw the ball) and he was getting accolades in sports shows and winning player of the week awards and ended up as Rookie of the Year. Even though he was losing and being a dick.

While here in Denver we had Tebow, who has similar abilities and was winning, but the media was still talking **** about how Denver would never win consistently with the guy.

truthfully i am lukewarm about Newton. main reason is his attitude. i see the guy with great ability, but not great mentally. i see a more athletic Jay Cutler. he can get by on athletic talent, but i don't think he will ever be great like he could be.

no where near similar.

Lestat
05-30-2012, 11:35 AM
As soon as you can show me the team (other than the McBroncos) that opened a game running on 8 consecutive first downs, we'll talk.

Or even better, a team that ran 21 of 23 times on first down, and still had a QB put up 300 yards passing.

i can't, cause there hasn't been a worse pocket passer in the NFL.
he wasn't comfortable in a traditional offense and they changed it to suit him but even then his throws were poor quality in most cases so they scaled it back to the read option where he mostly ran to protect his weakness as a passer.

he worked on it in the off season but he's still years away from being a solid passing QB so you play to his strengths and the Jets have already said he'll be the wildcat QB for them. which is basically what he did in Denver.

broncocalijohn
05-30-2012, 12:17 PM

I dont think so. It shows maturity to admit that you were immature. Sounds funny but if he recognized it and fixes it, he will be a great teammate. He has all the ability to be a leader with his athletic ability and needs to work on his leadership qualities when his team is down. He probably thought he can turn around a 2 win team to a playoff contender in one season. Welcome to the NFL Cam!

Archer81
05-30-2012, 12:22 PM
I dont think so. It shows maturity to admit that you were immature. Sounds funny but if he recognized it and fixes it, he will be a great teammate. He has all the ability to be a leader with his athletic ability and needs to work on his leadership qualities when his team is down. He probably thought he can turn around a 2 win team to a playoff contender in one season. Welcome to the NFL Cam!

It shows maturity to be mature. Admitting you are a douche does not make you less of a douche. If he wants to be more of "the guy" he has to be "the guy". Saying you are wont make it so.

Lestat
05-30-2012, 12:27 PM
It shows maturity to be mature. Admitting you are a douche does not make you less of a douche. If he wants to be more of "the guy" he has to be "the guy". Saying you are wont make it so.

admitting you have a problem and accepting that it needs to be corrected is the first step to getting it fixed. you can't get it fixed if you don't accept it as a fault.

canadianbroncosfan
05-30-2012, 12:33 PM

Agreed. Only time he made me look like an idiot was in week 1 when I started Freeman instead of him.

broncocalijohn
05-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Read the next line I posted. He needs to fix it of course. First step. If the teammates believe in him, he can be a real special player and teammate. He is in his 2nd year now so we shall see if he now knows reality of professional football.
BTW, I was no fan of his (or his Dad) during his last two seasons in college.

Jay3
05-30-2012, 12:46 PM

The way their brains work, all of that is Tebow's fault, because he can't throw. The logic goes like this -- because Tebow can't throw, then therefore it's not possible that Mike McCoy could be any better as an offensive coordinator, game-planning, and play-caller. Because there's no way McCoy could have done anything else -- in his first year calling the plays, he did the absolute best job anyone could have done.

UberBroncoMan
05-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Brandon Marshall has said the same **** for years. It's all talk until we see it in action.

razorwire77
05-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Not the biggest Cam fan, and honestly I thought he'd bust in the NFL, but last year changed my mind. I'm not really sure why people are jumping down his throat. Admitting a flaw and working on improving that flaw seems to me to be a positive trait.

Honestly, I think many of the Tebownites are threatened because despite being more emotionally immature, from a physical standpoint Cam is basically a faster, more mechanically sound, stronger armed, Tim Tebow.

lolcopter
05-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Nobody likes a QB with a WR diva attitude... that's why cam comes off as a huge douche

If he is bring sincere in his personal critique, that is certainly a step in the right direction

Lestat
05-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Not the biggest Cam fan, and honestly I thought he'd bust in the NFL, but last year changed my mind. I'm not really sure why people are jumping down his throat. Admitting a flaw and working on improving that flaw seems to me to be a positive trait.

Honestly, I think many of the Tebownites are threatened because despite being more emotionally immature, from a physical standpoint Cam is basically a faster, more mechanically sound, stronger armed, Tim Tebow.

oh what this implies... :)

BroncoMan4ever
05-30-2012, 01:37 PM
no where near similar.

Newton is better, no doubt about it, but in the eyes of many they are both running spread option style QBs. only differences are Newton can throw the ball and is bigger and faster

Heyneck
05-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Cam Newton says he was a bad teammate during his Rookie of the Year 2011 season, but his fellow Carolina Panthers say he just needs to trust them more.

In an interview with Yahoo! Sports, Newton says he had difficulty adjusting to losing during Carolina's 6-10 season.

"I was very immature," Newton told Yahoo! of his reaction after losses. "I'll be the first one to tell you, the pouting and the moping, I kind of overdid it. I know that. I was a bad teammate. I shut off to some people who gave unbelievable effort. ... That's where I have to mature."

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7985305

He is going to be scary when he puts it all together.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/05/tumblr_lzi7y7HvmO1qbz1kro1_500.gif

55CrushEm
05-30-2012, 01:55 PM
The target audience for that commercial are likely a bunch of people who annoy you.

"N*ggers!"

(Thanks for the laugh, Randy)

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 02:16 PM
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/05/tumblr_lzi7y7HvmO1qbz1kro1_500.gif

finding that gif or pick and taking the time to post it in this thread says otherwise. :wave:

ColoradoDarin
05-30-2012, 04:36 PM
So that means no more Superman celebration, right?

Anikai
05-30-2012, 04:55 PM

I got him in the last round of my league....Got Tom Brady in the first.

TheReverend
05-30-2012, 06:25 PM
**** Cam

BroncoInferno
05-30-2012, 08:31 PM
I think you can be a Tebow fan and still give credit where credit is due re: Cam. Drek is usually a top notch poster, but it is beyond ludicrous for him to say Cam is "all sizzle, no steak." The guy lead Auburn to an undefeated record and the national title while winning the Heisman as a junior, then took over a 2-14 Carolina team and lead them to a 4 game improvement (6-10), including a 4-2 finish after starting 2-8. He also shattered Peyton Manning's passing yardage record, scored more rushing TDs than any QB in NFL history (rookie or otherwise) and 35 TDs total (another rookie record). How can any sane person spin this as anything other than a HUGE success? Is he douchebag as an individual? Sure. But so is Big Ben. That doesn't mean he isn't a fantastic QB. Nor does Cam's success or failure have anything to do with Tebow. Yet the Tebow fanatics seem to think it's necessary to tear down Cam in order to prop up Tebow. Why? The success or failure of both players are unrelated to one another.

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 09:14 PM
I think you can be a Tebow fan and still give credit where credit is due re: Cam. Drek is usually a top notch poster, but it is beyond ludicrous for him to say Cam is "all steak and no sizzle." The guy lead Auburn to an undefeated record and the national title while winning the Heisman as a junior, then took over a 2-14 Carolina team and lead them to a 4 game improvement (6-10), including a 4-2 finish after starting 2-8. He also shattered Peyton Manning's passing yardage record, scored more rushing TDs than any QB in NFL history (rookie or otherwise) and 35 TDs total (another rookie record). How can any sane person spin this as anything other than a HUGE success? Is he douchebag as an individual? Sure. But so is Big Ben. That doesn't mean he isn't a fantastic QB. Nor does Cam's success or failure have anything to do with Tebow. Yet the Tebow fanatics seem to think it's necessary to tear down Cam in order to prop up Tebow. Why? The success or failure of both players are unrelated to one another.

This^

Jay3
05-31-2012, 06:43 AM
Nor does Cam's success or failure have anything to do with Tebow. Yet the Tebow fanatics seem to think it's necessary to tear down Cam in order to prop up Tebow. Why? The success or failure of both players are unrelated to one another.

I think it's a case of you looking for the worst -- taking some examples and applying it to everyone. I've said from the beginning that Cam was the best player in that draft (before he became consensus No. #1). The sky is the limit for him.

Skip Bayless has said it from the beginning.

But the brain tends to define things in a circular way -- you first decide "All Tebow Nuts tear down Cam." Then when there's an example that doesn't fit that premise, humans tend not to revise and go "Hmm. All Tebow Nuts do not tear down Cam." Instead, we go "That must not have been a true Tebow Nut. All true Tebow Nuts tear down Cam."

Before you know it, you've defined the consensus as the outermost fringe of things you heard on the internet. (Which is always possible to do, but tricky -- whether its politics, religion, sports, academics).

For the most part, long time Tebow fans have a great respect for Cam Newton's abilities -- because they also tend to afford great weight to the SEC, and quarterbacks who can run it. They may have a form of sibling resentment towards him (I do -- I hate Auburn, and hate that they were able to cheat their way to a National Championship). But they know he's good. They just tend to think he's mentally flawed and a possible candidate for a Vince Young baby fit.

Drek
05-31-2012, 08:51 AM
"all steak and no sizzle."

All sizzle, no steak. Don't misquote me.

BroncoBeavis
05-31-2012, 09:02 AM
But the brain tends to define things in a circular way -- you first decide "All Tebow Nuts tear down Cam." Then when there's an example that doesn't fit that premise, humans tend not to revise and go "Hmm. All Tebow Nuts do not tear down Cam." Instead, we go "That must not have been a true Tebow Nut. All true Tebow Nuts tear down Cam."

I think your diagnosis is 95% correct. The part that you're missing is that either way the haters would still see comparison to Tebow by itself as "tearing down Cam"

The logic is still circular, and there's still the intense effort to marginalize everyone they disagree with into McGroobs. But essentially they think drawing any parallel between the two SEC spread option QB's is crap.