PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past

MABroncoFan
05-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Adam Caplan‏@caplannfl

The #Colts signed OT George Foster, who hasn't played in the NFL since 2008. Former first-rounder of the #Broncos (2003).

broncocalijohn
05-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Adam Caplan‏@caplannfl

The #Colts signed OT George Foster, who hasn't played in the NFL since 2008. Former first-rounder of the #Broncos (2003).

2008? I thought he was in Atlanta just a couple of seasons ago. I thought he improved when I saw that he wasn't on any false start or holding Top 10 list. Now I know he just hasn't been playing. Ask TheRev or I think Garcia Bronco (sorry if wrong Garcia) how he WASNT a total bust. Just because they started for the Broncos doesn't erase the fact they sucked out the ass. Just because Shanny drafted him....

CHANGSTER
05-29-2012, 11:18 AM
"Foster has played for the Broncos and Lions, spending four seasons in Denver and two in Detroit. He has played for the Browns in 2009 and the Saints in 2011."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/29/colts-add-george-foster/

Bacchus
05-29-2012, 11:23 AM
So he has played 8 years in the NFL? Not a bad career, of course he should never have been a first round pick but many other players would have loved to been in the league 8 years and counting now.

Lestat
05-29-2012, 11:51 AM
wow, he's still around? damn that was a long time ago when he was considered to be our LT of the future.

Kaylore
05-29-2012, 12:00 PM
"Foster has played for the Broncos and Lions, spending four seasons in Denver and two in Detroit. He has played for the Browns in 2009 and the Saints in 2011."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/29/colts-add-george-foster/

He never made the Saints or Browns teams. The last game he started was in 2008 when he got benched.

Kaylore
05-29-2012, 12:03 PM
So he has played 8 years in the NFL? Not a bad career, of course he should never have been a first round pick but many other players would have loved to been in the league 8 years and counting now.

No, he has played five years. He really only started four total seasons. He started three games his last year in Detroit.

BroncoBuff
05-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Debbie Downer here, but did anybody see some of George Foster in Orlando Franklin last season, at least early on ... looked alot alike to me.

I'm thinking: Clady-Franklin-Blake-Kuper-Harris ... Walton and Beadles bench.

lonestar
05-29-2012, 01:38 PM
He never made the Saints or Browns teams. The last game he started was in 2008 when he got benched.

the moron should have been benched in 2003..

I suspect the only reason he was not cut sooner was because mikey was saving face.. or they did not have anyone better..

truly one of mikeys more epic busts..

BroncoBuff
05-29-2012, 02:06 PM
truly one of mikeys more epic busts..

Seems to me Foster contributed more than the other busts, but like you said Mike could've been playing him to save face. RT might be the least glaring spot on the field. He couldn't play Middlebrooks or Nash like that.

lonestar
05-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Seems to me Foster contributed more than the other busts, but like you said Mike could've been playing him to save face. RT might be the least glaring spot on the field. He couldn't play Middlebrooks or Nash like that.

Well now you bring up two of mikeys other epic busts.. that are another story altogether..

trying to compare any of them to real football palyers is well even silly..

bronco militia
05-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Debbie Downer here, but did anybody see some of George Foster in Orlando Franklin last season, at least early on ... looked alot alike to me.

no way. I don't remember seeing Franklin getting rag dolled like Bi-Curios George (thanks junkie!)

cmhargrove
05-29-2012, 02:16 PM

I see what you are saying, but Foster and Franklin are worlds apart. Franklin is already a dominant run blocker as a rookie (with no offseason). He has the ability to get even better, stronger, and more technical. As a pass blocker, his problem is more about lack of natural foot speed (and kick-slide technique) than lack of core strength (which is Foster's major issue). Foster just got pushed everywhere like a tub of goo.

They both took out a player by diving on his lower leg, so there's that...

BroncoBuff
05-29-2012, 02:38 PM
I was thinking size and shape really ... both seem to have that clod-footed back-pedal too. Franklin clearly improved as the season wore on. Still, I'm liking Ryan Harris. Just 27 years old, and apparently still can play ... last summer the Eagles were set to start him ahead of even a healthy Winston Justice, until the back injury.

Fun Fact: Ryan Harris is just 8 months older than Philip Blake.

SouthStndJunkie
05-29-2012, 02:40 PM
no way. I don't remember seeing Franklin getting rag dolled like Bi-Curios George (thanks junkie!)

Nice....I was just about to throw that out there.

TheReverend
05-29-2012, 03:10 PM
2008? I thought he was in Atlanta just a couple of seasons ago. I thought he improved when I saw that he wasn't on any false start or holding Top 10 list. Now I know he just hasn't been playing. Ask TheRev or I think Garcia Bronco (sorry if wrong Garcia) how he WASNT a total bust. Just because they started for the Broncos doesn't erase the fact they sucked out the ass. Just because Shanny drafted him....

Your comprehension level is far worse than anyone else's on this message board.

TheReverend
05-29-2012, 03:14 PM

OMFG Hilarious!

I love SSJ even more now.

Lestat
05-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Well now you bring up two of mikeys other epic busts.. that are another story altogether..

trying to compare any of them to real football palyers is well even silly..

i still maintain that Terry Pierce was the worst bust. he may have been a 2nd round pick but he contributed nothing, absolutely nothing to the team.

razorwire77
05-29-2012, 04:07 PM
I hope for Luck's sake he never gets on the field at LT.

Lestat
05-29-2012, 05:59 PM
i hope for his sake their new GM surrounds him with a ton of talent on both sides of the ball.

pricejj
05-29-2012, 06:58 PM
i still maintain that Terry Pierce was the worst bust. he may have been a 2nd round pick but he contributed nothing, absolutely nothing to the team.

Paul Toviessi only donned a Broncos uniform for 12 days.

broncosteven
05-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Yep, I think Tovessi was worse, Shanny drafted him knowing he had a bad knee that would only get worse. I think he was a 2nd round pick also.

Pierce played himself off the team, that happens alot in the NFL.

Lestat
05-29-2012, 08:04 PM

yeah but he was injured and this was known before hand. busts to me are more to do with not living up to expectations while being healthy.
if a guy goes into a draft seriously hurt or suffers a career ending injury before he can really get going that not a bust, that's just bad luck.

Shanny loved drafting hurt guys though. Middlebrooks,Toviessi and then Foster who had the broken hand during his final year at UGA.

DBroncos4life
05-29-2012, 09:03 PM

Pierce was slow and such a waste of a pick on so many levels. All because we might not of resigned Al.

BroncoBuff
05-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Looked it up ... we're selling Shanahan short. He wasn't as bad as the consensus in here pegs him. First two rounds ... completely whiffed two years, but other than that just one horrible pick.

'96
John Mobley
Tory James
'97
Trevor Pryce
Dan Neil
'98
Marcus Nash
Eric Brown
'99
Al Wilson
Montae Reagor
Lennie Friedman
'00
Deltha O'Neal
Ian Gold
Kenoy Kennedy
'01
Willie Middlebrooks
Paul Toviessi
'02
Ashley Lelie
Clinton Portis
'03
George Foster
Terry Pierce
'04
DJ WIlliams
Tatum Bell
'05
Darrent Williams
'06
Jay Cutler
Tony Scheffler
'07
Jarvis Moss
Tim Crowder
'08
Ryan Clady
Eddie Royal

DBroncos4life
05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Looked it up ... we're selling Shanahan short. He wasn't as bad as the consensus in here pegs him. First two rounds ... completely whiffed two years, but other than that just one horrible pick.

'96
John Mobley
Tory James
'97
Trevor Pryce
Dan Neil
'98
Marcus Nash
Eric Brown
'99
Al Wilson
Montae Reagor
Lennie Friedman
'00
Deltha O'Neal
Ian Gold
Kenoy Kennedy
'01
Willie Middlebrooks
Paul Toviessi
'02
Ashley Lelie
Clinton Portis
'03
George Foster
Terry Pierce
'04
DJ WIlliams
Tatum Bell
'05
Darrent Williams
'06
Jay Cutler
Tony Scheffler
'07
Jarvis Moss
Tim Crowder
'08
Ryan Clady
Eddie Royal
Why didn't you bold 07?

barryr
05-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Foster was an unusual pick at the time considering the kind of OL the Broncos tended to draft and play. He looked the part, but I don't think wanted it bad enough. I am surprised any team is wasting time with him at this stage.

Caveat Lector
05-29-2012, 09:30 PM

'96
John Mobley
Tory James
'97
Trevor Pryce
Dan Neil
'98
Marcus Nash
Eric Brown
'99
Al Wilson
Montae Reagor
Lennie Friedman
'00
Deltha O'Neal
Ian Gold
Kenoy Kennedy
'01
Willie Middlebrooks
Paul Toviessi
'02
Ashley Lelie
Clinton Portis
'03
George Foster
Terry Pierce
'04
DJ WIlliams
Tatum Bell
'05
Darrent Williams
'06
Jay Cutler
Tony Scheffler
'07
Jarvis Moss
Tim Crowder
'08
Ryan Clady
Eddie Royal

Errr... So you're saying the '07 draft weren't horrible picks? I still have nightmares of Jarvis Moss standing up at the LOS against New England that time...

houghtam
05-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Go ahead. Count up the total number of Pro Bowls those players had on our team.

I already did a long while back in another thread, so I already know the answer. Suffice it to say, the consensus of Shanahan not being good at the draft is pretty much dead on.

Swedish Extrovert
05-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Bring him in for a look.

BroncoBuff
05-29-2012, 10:17 PM
The '07 picks were bad picks, never said otherwise. Especially in that we traded up for Jarvis (*good grief*). They weren't bust-out-loud like the others. Though I suppose both Moss and Crowder's careers are similar to Middlebrooks and Foster's.

*EDIT* Just looked 'em up, and dangnabbit! ... looks like curtains for the dumbfounded duo!* Bucs waived Crowder a month ago, and Moss remains unsigned. Darn, looks like I'll have to update my "all but one of Jim Goodman's picks are still in the league (Eslinger)." templates. I'll re-work it ... after all, Mike said he called the early rounds, Jim the rest.

broncocalijohn
05-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Bring him in for a look.

Elway and Company did. They went to meet him but they just went straight on by. Like his playing days with Denver.

lonestar
05-30-2012, 12:40 AM
I was thinking size and shape really ... both seem to have that clod-footed back-pedal too. Franklin clearly improved as the season wore on. Still, I'm liking Ryan Harris. Just 27 years old, and apparently still can play ... last summer the Eagles were set to start him ahead of even a healthy Winston Justice, until the back injury.

Fun Fact: Ryan Harris is just 8 months older than Philip Blake.

See that's the rub Harris played just ver 50% of the games he could have while a bronco. And frankly some of them where nothing to write home about when he was healthy.

Why would you want to bring back a almost ORT you can't count on to be there 14+ games a year.

Let the rookies learn and if they do not draft more of them next year. Or for that matter bring in some experienced vets. Under 28.

lonestar
05-30-2012, 12:47 AM

If you look back at rounds 1-3 for all of Mikey's career you will,see that only 6 of about 43 guys drafted in those critical rounds ever RESIGNED a second contract with Den before or during their rookie contract expired. 3 were LB's. one each Qb, OG, DE.

Pretty pathetic considering those are the guys the really great teams build on..

Most of Mikey's first rounders never Made it out of their third training camp. While I did not track rounds 2-3 I'd bet it is about the same percentive.

lonestar
05-30-2012, 12:52 AM
Foster was an unusual pick at the time considering the kind of OL the Broncos tended to draft and play. He looked the part, but I don't think wanted it bad enough. I am surprised any team is wasting time with him at this stage.

Considering he was 338 iirc and nine of the ther ol guys were over 305 if that most were 280-295.

At the time I thought they finally figured out they needed to get bigger.

Wow was I wrong.

lonestar
05-30-2012, 01:46 PM

I already did a long while back in another thread, so I already know the answer. Suffice it to say, the consensus of Shanahan not being good at the draft is pretty much dead on.

Just a couple and one was poorti$$ and then got a HUGE head and wanted to be paid like the number one NFL RB.. at least we got Champ out of the deal..

your correct mikey was beyond horrible in talent eval..

every great eam has built there team via the draft and picks 1-4 in particular are teh corner stone of those teams combine that with solid coaching they have won most of the most recent super bowls..

Talent alone will not do it as we have seen in OAK and SAN, but having both talent and good to great HCs and staff get them to and win the big games..

and then when you look at his blowing big bucks on FA, well it is a wonder he won any games..

IF it was not for his coaching ability or maybe I should say his smoke and mirrors schemes he would not have lasted but a couple of years past his last Lombardi..

lonestar
05-30-2012, 02:37 PM

'96
John Mobley
Tory James
'97
Trevor Pryce
Dan Neil
'98
Marcus Nash
Eric Brown
'99
Al Wilson
Montae Reagor
Lennie Friedman
'00
Deltha O'Neal
Ian Gold
Kenoy Kennedy
'01
Willie Middlebrooks
Paul Toviessi
'02
Ashley Lelie
Clinton Portis
'03
George Foster
Terry Pierce
'04
DJ WIlliams
Tatum Bell
'05
Darrent Williams
'06
Jay Cutler
Tony Scheffler
'07
Jarvis Moss
Tim Crowder
'08
Ryan Clady
Eddie Royal

here are the round 1-3 picks that DEN resigned before or after their rookie contracts expired

'96
John Mobley
Tory James
Detron Smith
Mark Campbell
'97
Trevor Pryce
Dan Neil
'98
Marcus Nash
Eric Brown
Brian Griese
'99
Al Wilson
Montae Reagor
Lennie Friedman
Chris Watson
Travis McGriff
'00
Deltha O'Neal
Ian Gold
Kenoy Kennedy
Chris Cole
'01
Willie Middlebrooks
Paul Toviessi
Reggie Hayward
'02
Ashley Lelie
Clinton Portis
Dorsett Davis
'03
George Foster
Terry Pierce
'04
DJ WIlliams
Tatum Bell
Darius Watts
Jeremy LeSueur
'05
Darrent Williams
Karl Paymah
Domonique Foxworth
Maurice Clarett
'06
Jay Cutler
Tony Scheffler
'07
Jarvis Moss
Tim Crowder
Ryan Harris
'08
Ryan Clady
Eddie Royal

Look at all those names all of them top one hundred players except clarett who was 101 .

mikey could not even keep a few of the good ones Heyward and Kennedy they wanted to let them test FA waters before trying to secure them.. Or were flat broke cap wise so could not keep them..

6 guys out of 40+ players in the top one hundred picks each year that folks is pretty pathetic..

let me add that 5 of them were in his earlier years..

bronco militia
05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
here are the round 1-3 picks that DEN resigned before or after their rookie contracts expired
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

'96
John Mobley
Tory James
Detron Smith
Mark Campbell
'97
Trevor Pryce
Dan Neil
'98
Marcus Nash
Eric Brown
Brian Griese
'99
Al Wilson
Montae Reagor
Lennie Friedman
Chris Watson
Travis McGriff
'00
Deltha O'Neal
Ian Gold
Kenoy Kennedy
Chris Cole
'01
Willie Middlebrooks
Paul Toviessi
Reggie Hayward
'02
Ashley Lelie
Clinton Portis
Dorsett Davis
'03
George Foster
Terry Pierce
'04
DJ WIlliams
Tatum Bell
Darius Watts
Jeremy LeSueur
'05
Darrent Williams
Karl Paymah
Domonique Foxworth
Maurice Clarett
'06
Jay Cutler
Tony Scheffler
'07
Jarvis Moss
Tim Crowder
Ryan Harris
'08
Ryan Clady
Eddie Royal

Look at all those names most of them top one hundred players. and that clown could not keep a few of the good ones Heyward and Kennedy they wanted to let them test FA waters before trying to secure them.. Or were flat broke cap wise so could not keep them..

6 guys out of 40+ players in the top one hundred picks each year that folks is pretty pathetic..

all the orange players are still playing

lonestar
05-30-2012, 02:44 PM
all the orange players are still playing

they are all broncos and are contributing to this team?

I must have missed that memo

bronco militia
05-30-2012, 02:48 PM
they are all broncos and are contributing to this team?

I must have missed that memo

if you are going to include them on the list, then yes.

lonestar
05-30-2012, 02:50 PM
if you are going to include them on the list, then yes.

so all of those basically day one picks are starting on the broncos?

Since we all know that is not correct..

For that matter are they starters on another team?

SInce when does one team build other franchises with picks..

bronco militia
05-30-2012, 02:55 PM
so all of those basically day one picks are starting on the broncos?

Since we all know that is not correct..

For that matter are they starters on another team?

SInce when does one team build other franchises with picks..

shanny didn't get rid of those guys...for all we know, they'd still be on the team.

look, he was mostly terrible as a GM, but you have to take the good with the bad. If anything, you don't count the guys someone else traded or released.

lonestar
05-30-2012, 03:01 PM
shanny didn't get rid of those guys...for all we know, they'd still be on the team.

look, he was mostly terrible as a GM, but you have to take the good with the bad. If anything, you don't count the guys someone else traded or released.

so EVEN IF youadd those few players in, what was his batting average on basically day one picks top ONE hunderd players coming out of college each year..

Day one players should be accounting to be your starters after 2-3 years..

Certainly not staarters for another team.. or for most of them backups on weaker teams..
for those on other teams excepting maybe cutlet whom I think is a head case none of them are true first string starters..

Sorry but you do not have to take the good with the bad..

Perhaps your willing to but I'm not..

Lestat
05-30-2012, 03:08 PM

there is no pretty much. i did some research on Shanny's draft for a thread a few weeks ago and was astounded at how piss poorly he managed the draft. the Cutler draft was probably his best as a Bronco exec/coach.

he whiffed on so many picks and then whiffed on so many FA's that it was amazing we won as much as we did under him. says a ton about him as a coach. but he was pure **** as a front office exec.

bronco militia
05-30-2012, 03:12 PM
so EVEN IF youadd those few players in, what was his batting average on basically day one picks top ONE hunderd players coming out of college each year..

yeah, it's still not very good.

that being said, other than John Elway, Mike Shanahan might be the best thing that ever happened to this franchise.

but it was time to move on......

Lestat
05-30-2012, 03:15 PM

2006 was the lone stand out of his tenure if we're all honest.
it'd be one thing if he was missing on a draft here and there but we were consistent bad in evaluations,development and drafting in general.
we flat out sucked under him until the Goodman's got more power in scouting and GM duties.

i loved Shanahan as a coach and was kinda pissed when he got fired, especially when we hired McDaniels and my feeling was that we needed a defensive HC who would leave the offense alone.

but his track record as a GM was awful. he could trade rape teams like a mother but he couldn't draft or sign free agents to save his life.

lonestar
05-30-2012, 03:19 PM
yeah, it's still not very good.

that being said, other than John Elway, Mike Shanahan might be the best thing that ever happened to this franchise.

but it was time to move on......

Shirley you jest..

tell me what made him so great?

IMO it was Pat Bowlen being the best thing that EVER happened to this franchise..

I do not like Dano Reeves but IMO he was a better overall steward of the franchise than mikey was..

can hardly wait to hear this load of Male Bovine Excretment

bronco militia
05-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Shirley you jest..

tell me what made him so great?

IMO it was Pat Bowlen being the best thing that EVER happened to this franchise..

I do not like Dano Reeves but IMO he was a better overall steward of the franchise than mikey was..

can hardly wait to hear this load of Male Bovine Excretment

holy crap? really? all you have to do is read the "Mike Shanahan" section in the Denver Bronco media guide. If you don't agree with at least 50% of the propaganda, then I don't know what else to tell you.

cutthemdown
05-30-2012, 03:42 PM

Marcus Nash sticks out.

cutthemdown
05-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Ted Gregory sticks out.

cutthemdown
05-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Remember when we traded a first round pick for Mike Pritchard. LOL and people complain about McDaniels trades, we had some doozies before he got here.

Lestat
05-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Marcus Nash sticks out.

he does but i still say Pierce was worse. Pierce was supposed to be a first round pick, slipped to us in the 2nd, was lauded as the next great LB and then didn't do ****.

Lestat
05-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Remember when we traded a first round pick for Mike Pritchard. LOL and people complain about McDaniels trades, we had some doozies before he got here.

we traded a future first for a 2nd, the first ended up at #14 and became Earl Thomas(which was a need position for us) we traded multiple picks for Brady Quinn to get rid of Hillis, we traded multiple picks to deal up for Richard Quinn.

that body of work doesn't get much worse unless your name is Dan O'Brien and you GM'd the Reds or Scott Layden of the Knicks.

cutthemdown
05-30-2012, 05:03 PM
we traded a future first for a 2nd, the first ended up at #14 and became Earl Thomas(which was a need position for us) we traded multiple picks for Brady Quinn to get rid of Hillis, we traded multiple picks to deal up for Richard Quinn.

that body of work doesn't get much worse unless your name is Dan O'Brien and you GM'd the Reds or Scott Layden of the Knicks.

I agree but a first and a 3rd for Mike Pritchard still stings. I have no idea who ATL drafted though. Would be fun to look it up. I think I will.

cutthemdown
05-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Ha it turned out the Falcons traded the pick we gave up for Pritchard, which ended the 10th pick in the draft, for Chris Doleman of the Vikings. But had we kept pick we could have had Ty Law, Warren Sapp, Hugh Douglass just from a quick glance at that yrs draft. Also Derrick Brooks!

WolfpackGuy
05-30-2012, 05:08 PM

Pritchard was actually tearing it up before going onto IR a few weeks into 1994.

Elway hit him with a bomb for a TD off a broken play on the first drive of the season against the Chuggers that year.

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Pritchard was actually tearing it up before going onto IR a few weeks into 1994.

Elway hit him with a bomb for a TD off a broken play on the first drive of the season against the Chuggers that year.

He was on pace for 101 catches and 1440 yards. I can't believe I forgot he was a Husker. Hilarious!

cutthemdown
05-30-2012, 05:15 PM

He wasn't a bad player I agree. Still IMO you can't build a winner trading the 11th pick in a draft for pretty good WR.

WolfpackGuy
05-30-2012, 05:19 PM
He wasn't a bad player I agree. Still IMO you can't build a winner trading the 11th pick in a draft for pretty good WR.

Oh, I totally agree, but I also don't think they were counting on the defense being bad enough to lead to such a poor record and high pick.

They should've helped the defense more that offseason (How many times have Broncos fans said that?) because they couldn't stop anybody the last half of 1993.

The move that really backfired was not landing Tim Brown and settling for that turd Anthony Miller.

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Oh, I totally agree, but I also don't think they were counting on the defense being bad enough to lead to such a poor record and high pick.

They should've helped the defense more that offseason (How many times have Broncos fans said that?) because they couldn't stop anybody the last half of 1993.

The move that really backfired was not landing Tim Brown and settling for that turd Anthony Miller.

Miller wasn't that bad for us.

cutthemdown
05-30-2012, 05:30 PM

Yep! It was like Broncos were desperate for a top end WR back then. They really thought i was all they needed.

cutthemdown
05-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Miller wasn't that bad for us.

He could run fast, and he could catch, he just couldn't run fast and catch.

WolfpackGuy
05-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Miller put up some good numbers, but I just never got over his passionless prima donna attitude.

Lestat
05-30-2012, 05:44 PM

so wait, we had a Darius Watts before Darius Watts?

lonestar
05-30-2012, 05:48 PM
holy crap? really? all you have to do is read the "Mike Shanahan" section in the Denver Bronco media guide. If you don't agree with at least 50% of the propaganda, then I don't know what else to tell you.

I think propaganda is the key word there. To bad you believe it hook line and sinker.

If his ego was not as big as it is he could have been the best HC in the NFL. But Pats "contract for life" really made him think he was all that.

The guy screwed this team into being a bottom feeder with all his really lousy personnel decisions.

Always in cap hell, because he overpaid UFAs year after years and screwed up the draft totally. Was a great OC that could scheme like no other, but playing with mediocre talent for a decade or more caused the decline.

Sure he won a lot of games. BFD caused he and his team choked in the late season games and every forking time the got to the playoffs they got their asses kicked 3 times IIRC by Manning himself.

Great coaches win tough games. And when the chips were down all he had on his resume after the HOF talent retired was one stinking win in the playoff. Had it not been a home game against a team that took the broncos for granted I doubt he would have lasted as long as he did.

He was the film flam man. Smoke and mirrors and most fans bought his male bovine excrement up to the end. He was always a player or two away from all the marbles.

Maybe you too can figure it out if you really think about it.

He won two Lombardis. Probably should have been three but we got our asses kicked at home by an expansion team. Great coaches have their teams ready for those games.
Beyond that he won dick without John.

Think about that.

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 06:15 PM

The guy had two 1000 yard seasons out of 3 in Denver and set a franchise record with 14 TDs in 14 games. Yeah he wasn't Tim Brown but, he was the next best option at the time.

cutthemdown
05-30-2012, 08:03 PM
The guy had two 1000 yard seasons out of 3 in Denver and set a franchise record with 14 TDs in 14 games. Yeah he wasn't Tim Brown but, he was the next best option at the time.

Yeah and he has 5td and 3tds in the two other seasons. He was a 60 catch guy with some deep speed. What I remember most though was the 20 balls he should have caught those yrs. So yeah he crept over 1000 yrds, i will give him that. Still though not a bad pickup. But he's about as close to Tim Brown as Jeremy Shockey is to Shannon Sharpe.

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Yeah and he has 5td and 3tds in the two other seasons. He was a 60 catch guy with some deep speed. What I remember most though was the 20 balls he should have caught those yrs. So yeah he crept over 1000 yrds, i will give him that. Still though not a bad pickup. But he's about as close to Tim Brown as Jeremy Shockey is to Shannon Sharpe.

In 1994 5 TDs wasn't that bad. The top ten had three guys with 8.

bronco militia
05-30-2012, 08:45 PM
I think propaganda is the key word there. To bad you believe it hook line and sinker.

If his ego was not as big as it is he could have been the best HC in the NFL. But Pats "contract for life" really made him think he was all that.

The guy screwed this team into being a bottom feeder with all his really lousy personnel decisions.

Always in cap hell, because he overpaid UFAs year after years and screwed up the draft totally. Was a great OC that could scheme like no other, but playing with mediocre talent for a decade or more caused the decline.

Sure he won a lot of games. BFD caused he and his team choked in the late season games and every forking time the got to the playoffs they got their asses kicked 3 times IIRC by Manning himself.

Great coaches win tough games. And when the chips were down all he had on his resume after the HOF talent retired was one stinking win in the playoff. Had it not been a home game against a team that took the broncos for granted I doubt he would have lasted as long as he did.

He was the film flam man. Smoke and mirrors and most fans bought his male bovine excrement up to the end. He was always a player or two away from all the marbles.

Maybe you too can figure it out if you really think about it.

He won two Lombardis. Probably should have been three but we got our asses kicked at home by an expansion team. Great coaches have their teams ready for those games.
Beyond that he won dick without John.

Think about that.

I didn't buy anything, except season tickets. I was there before, during, and after shanny.
For ****s sakes dude, get some perspective.

SoCalBronco
05-30-2012, 08:54 PM

Pritchard was actually productive before he suffered a freak injury...I think it was a kidney injury or something, like he fell on a ball or something like that.

Miller, Pritchard and Sharpe were UNSTOPPABLE in Madden 95....especially Miller. I loved running vertical routes with him...too fast for the computer. :)

lonestar
05-30-2012, 09:04 PM
2006 was the lone stand out of his tenure if we're all honest.
it'd be one thing if he was missing on a draft here and there but we were consistent bad in evaluations,development and drafting in general.
we flat out sucked under him until the Goodman's got more power in scouting and GM duties.

i loved Shanahan as a coach and was kinda pissed when he got fired, especially when we hired McDaniels and my feeling was that we needed a defensive HC who would leave the offense alone.

but his track record as a GM was awful. he could trade rape teams like a mother but he couldn't draft or sign free agents to save his life.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought he was a douche when it came to personnel..

IMO the 06 draft was full of head cases scheffler, cutlet and the master head case marshall going on his third team now..and the last two were very happy to dump his locker room cancerous ass..

As for the hiring of Josh.. I had wanted Spags for his defensive side..

BUT we all know that mikey was the OC the past decade and especially after Kubes left..the offense we were running would not have been the same under mc coy probably not even close and since cutlet loved forcing passes it would have probably gotten worse without the stern look of mikey..

For that reason hiring Josh made loads of sense to me at least he represented getting a bigger smarter and faster OL something I had wanted for near a decade..

While I was one of the only fans that thought the ZBS was doing us no favors and that #2 ranking on Offence that everyone drooled over it was great between the 20's and sucked in the red zone.

it had not improved in close to a decade so why everyone wanted to keep it because of the inflated stats is beyond me..

Stats are great IF your wining games that you NEED to.. we have not beat a meaningful team in the playoffs since John retired.. the one game against NE well they were clearly looking past us to get to PIT the following week..

Mikey was a great OC second to none but knowing defense or players well those were not his thing, planning his famous scripted plays a genius after that IMO not so much... 

We won very few games in that decade following John, going away in the fourth most of those games against decent teams were won with last secoond FG because our defense sucked..

atleast that is how I saw it..