PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the AFC West tight ends

Bronco Rob
05-29-2012, 06:36 AM
3. Jacob Tamme, Denver: I went with Tamme over his teammate because Tamme already has a relationship with Peyton Manning from their Colts’ days.

4. Joel Dreessen, Denver: We will see a lot of Tamme and Dreessen. Both are professionals who are capable of making big plays.

8. Julius Thomas, Denver: The Broncos love the potential of this former college basketball player. Injuries robbed him of most of his rookie season, but he showed preseason flashes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/44230/ranking-the-afc-west-tight-ends

broncswin
05-29-2012, 06:41 AM
That is a bull **** article...why isn't Richard Quinn number one?!

TheChamp24
05-29-2012, 06:49 AM
lol, poor Oakland when your best TE apparently would be 3rd string on every other team in the division.

fontaine
05-29-2012, 09:13 AM
That is a bull **** article...why isn't Richard Quinn number one?!

Because he's still trying to just m*&(&^&^^ ing win the game!

vancejohnson82
05-29-2012, 09:20 AM
what flashes did Thomas show last preseason?? was I asleep??

TonyR
05-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Didn't click the link, but I'm betting this is vintage Burger Bill?

Mountain Bronco
05-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Its pretty accurate, but tough to rank a guy second coming off a major injury.

Mogulseeker
05-29-2012, 10:04 AM
I'd switch Dreesen with Tamme, and maybe even put him ahead of Moeaki depending on how he performs this year.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-29-2012, 10:12 AM

He played well in the preseason. 6 catches/82 yards.

Lestat
05-29-2012, 10:41 AM
i'm very curious to watch the development of Thomas. he could be a beast if he can avoid injuries from here on out and build a rapport with Manning.
he has #1 TE potential and if he harnesses it could be a top tier NFL TE.

Green out in SD is a guy i wanted to see us draft due to his potential and flexibility to be a big slot WR in some sets and TE in most others. it'll be interesting to see how he develops with the Chuggers.

Kaylore
05-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Julius Thomas shouldn't even be on the list.

Bronco Rob
05-29-2012, 11:21 AM

he's listed above any of the raiders TE's....

Ha!

Gcver2ver3
05-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Its pretty accurate, but tough to rank a guy second coming off a major injury.

Well there is a guy at qb i'd rank 1st in our division so...

vancejohnson82
05-29-2012, 01:19 PM

I mean, he played well in the Seattle preseason game but how does that even get him up there???

i hope he can be who we were hoping but right now he is the winner of the Domenik Hixon preseason hype award of 2010

Smiling Assassin27
05-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Gratuitous reason to post this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9biPfmRxOK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lonestar
05-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Didn't click the link, but I'm betting this is vintage Burger Bill?

yep burger bill strikes again..

Bronco Rob
05-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Gratuitous reason to post this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9biPfmRxOK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:thumbs:

broncosteven
05-29-2012, 08:47 PM

He looked real good until the ball fell out of his hands.

Bigdawg26
05-29-2012, 09:34 PM
He looked real good until the ball fell out of his hands.

He was on the field??

colonelbeef
05-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Tamme is going to have a big year

Kaylore
05-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Adrian Madise likes this list.

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Tony Moeaki is one over hyped turd. All I read about last year when looking into FF TE's was how this guy is the second coming of something. I don't think he will ever be more then a Dustin Keller type TE. Which isn't bad really.

Drek
05-30-2012, 09:52 AM

In the abbreviated camp and pre-season the buzz was that Thomas looked like a very natural route runner with good hands. Really stood out as a pass catcher. He couldn't stay healthy all season, but any list that looks to go into the 2nd string of a division's depth chart is going to talk about guys like him.

I view Thomas as a boom/bust type. There is a chance he winds up being the best TE in the division by the end of the 2012 season, and there is a chance he never catches another football for the Denver Broncos. Really depends how hard he works and what kind of rapport he can develop with Manning this pre-season.

Bob's your Information Minister
05-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Tony Moeaki is one over hyped turd. All I read about last year when looking into FF TE's was how this guy is the second coming of something. I don't think he will ever be more then a Dustin Keller type TE. Which isn't bad really.

He's an excellent blocker and makes badass catches like this:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/gallery_images/photos/000/515/631/GYI0061820447_crop_450x500.jpg?1285538180

He's not a freak of nature like Jimmy Graham but he could easily be a 70 catch, 800 yard, 6 TD guy if he stays healthy. And the Chiefs get a real QB and join the 21st century.

Lestat
05-30-2012, 10:26 AM
In the abbreviated camp and pre-season the buzz was that Thomas looked like a very natural route runner with good hands. Really stood out as a pass catcher. He couldn't stay healthy all season, but any list that looks to go into the 2nd string of a division's depth chart is going to talk about guys like him.

I view Thomas as a boom/bust type. There is a chance he winds up being the best TE in the division by the end of the 2012 season, and there is a chance he never catches another football for the Denver Broncos. Really depends how hard he works and what kind of rapport he can develop with Manning this pre-season.

i don't think he's boom or bust, but his floor is lower than the other TE's on the roster. his ceiling though is top notch. if he was fully healthy last season we might not have signed one of the TE's we did.

hopefully he can put it all together this time around and realize his potential... cause i want a new Shannon Sharpe.

DBroncos4life
05-30-2012, 10:52 AM
He's an excellent blocker and makes badass catches like this:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/gallery_images/photos/000/515/631/GYI0061820447_crop_450x500.jpg?1285538180

He's not a freak of nature like Jimmy Graham but he could easily be a 70 catch, 800 yard, 6 TD guy if he stays healthy. And the Chiefs get a real QB and join the 21st century.

I agree with this. I don't think he is a bad TE but those numbers are pretty Dustin Keller like if you ask me. If I had more faith in Cassel I think he would be closer to Witten more often then not.

Bronco Rob
05-30-2012, 05:07 PM
i don't think he's boom or bust, but his floor is lower than the other TE's on the roster. his ceiling though is top notch. if he was fully healthy last season we might not have signed one of the TE's we did.

hopefully he can put it all together this time around and realize his potential... cause i want a new Shannon Sharpe.

:thumbs:

TonyR
06-04-2012, 07:27 AM
The Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks added talented veteran tight ends to their rosters to provide their offensive coordinators with the flexibility to use more double tight end formations in the fall…

...One of the benefits of utilizing “12” personnel is the ability for the offense to utilize a variety of base and spread formations without shuttling different personnel into the game. The H-back plays the role of a fullback, wide receiver or second tight end in the package, aligning in various spots within the formation to create problems for the defense. Offensive coordinators are tapping into that versatility by featuring a variety of open formations with the tight end deployed as quasi-receivers. By opening the formation, the offensive coordinator makes it easy for his quarterback to diagnose the coverage and creates potential mismatches in space…

...By displacing both tight ends away from the line, the Patriots are able to quickly identify the coverage based on the alignments of the linebackers and defensive backs. If the corners are matched up with the wide receivers, Tom Brady knows [it’s] man coverage and he can audible to an effective route combination to exploit the scheme.

If the defense remains in base personnel, the H-back enjoys a significant advantage over a linebacker lacking the agility to stay close in coverage. If the defensive coordinator uses nickel personnel, the H-back uses his superior size to post up smaller defenders in space.

Read the whole thing here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8298aeb2/article/two-tight-end-formations-will-hit-nfl-by-storm-in-2012

ColoradoDarin
06-04-2012, 07:48 AM
My AFCW TE rankings:

#4 Matt Cassel
#3 Carson Palmer
#2 Philip Rivers
#1 Peyton Manning