PDA

View Full Version : TV networks claim skipping commercials is illegal (M)

DBroncos4life
05-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Fox, NBC, and CBS are incredibly miffed at Dish Network for providing a digital video recorder with an "Auto Hop" commercial-skipping feature....

http://now.msn.com/entertainment/0527-skipping-commercials-illegal.aspx

Ha!

DBroncos4life
05-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Fox, NBC, and CBS are incredibly miffed at Dish Network for providing a digital video recorder with an "Auto Hop" commercial-skipping feature....

Ha!

Man-Goblin
05-27-2012, 05:08 PM
How bout this. It should be illegal to go to a commercial after a touchdown and again after the ensuing kickoff. And it should be illegal not to go to a commercial during a replay review.

DBroncos4life
05-27-2012, 05:12 PM
How bout this. It should be illegal to go to a commercial after a touchdown and again after the ensuing kickoff. And it should be illegal not to go to a commercial during a replay review.

This ^ ;D

Blueflame
05-27-2012, 05:17 PM
As if people don't get pretty good at (manually) skipping commercials with the DVR anyway. So... if it's illegal to skip commercials, it would be logical to conclude that it's also illegal to take a bathroom break during one. Good luck to them in enforcing that.

cousinal11
05-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Who gets Dish Network these days?

Blueflame
05-27-2012, 05:29 PM

We dumped Dish for Directv a long time ago... because of Dish Network's terrible (lack of) customer service.

chadta
05-27-2012, 05:40 PM
dish network isnt even worth stealing, and by stealing i mean if they beam the signal onto my house i have every right to use it, since i didnt ask them to beam it at me in the first place.

Broncobiv
05-27-2012, 05:44 PM
I've got Dish, never had a problem with their customer service. Always had someone come out and replace our box for free when it got messed up.

Bronco Yoda
05-27-2012, 07:28 PM
I recently thought about changing to dish network. I hate dealing with direct tv. Recently one of my DVR (about 3 yrs old) quit working (audio went out). Considering I spend around $140 a month on tv alone and have constant customer for 7 years... I thought there would be no problem getting my equipment replaced.

The last time one of my DVR's (Tivo) broke I was informed that the equipment was mine. That I had purchased it with my long standing loyalty. So there were fees involved and a new contract to get replacement equipment. How nice for me... It was during football season and I didn't want the hassle so I choked it down.

This time directTV story was that the policy changed again and now you don't RENT the equipment. Funny but I'm still charged a monthly equipment fee.... But it's really now a licensing fee for your equipment to receive their signal. How very sneaky of them.

LMFAO..... really?

I did finally get it resolved after a half dozen calls over a 10 day period. First they wanted $200 for equipment charge plus shipping plus $45 for the tech to come out and confirm that all is well.... BULL****!!!!!

Then it was $45 dollars to come out and check everything out (even though i had already called three times to go through every possible check).... then half off for a replacement receiver.

Then a couple days later it was negotiated down to a $45 dollar service call and equipment free if it really needed replacement....but.... $20 for S/H.

Then a day later I finally convinced them (reading over the previous calling notes that every possible test had been don!e) so they quit insisting on a worthless service call but still wanted their $20 of flesh.

... So i said fine. That's when they hit me with (right before the order was complete) that i'd have to also renew my contract. Of course not with the awesome new customer discounts. I said F U!

They called back 10 min. later and finally sent me out a replacement receiver for free. Though I have a feeling that it was old stock looking at the size and such of the equipment. But it works.

maher_tyler
05-27-2012, 07:40 PM

That's one thing Hockey has over every other sport...they only go to commercial about 5 times per period and commercial free in OT

maher_tyler
05-27-2012, 07:43 PM
I recently thought about changing to dish network. I hate dealing with direct tv. Recently one of my DVR (about 3 yrs old) quit working (audio went out). Considering I spend around $140 a month on tv alone and have constant customer for 7 years... I thought there would be no problem getting my equipment replaced.

The last time one of my DVR's (Tivo) broke I was informed that the equipment was mine. That I had purchased it with my long standing loyalty. So there were fees involved and a new contract to get replacement equipment. How nice for me... It was during football season and I didn't want the hassle so I choked it down.

This time directTV story was that the policy changed again and now you don't RENT the equipment. Funny but I'm still charged a monthly equipment fee.... But it's really now a licensing fee for your equipment to receive their signal. How very sneaky of them.

LMFAO..... really?

I did finally get it resolved after a half dozen calls over a 10 day period. First they wanted $200 for equipment charge plus shipping plus $45 for the tech to come out and confirm that all is well.... BULL****!!!!!

Then it was $45 dollars to come out and check everything out (even though i had already called three times to go through every possible check).... then half off for a replacement receiver.

Then a couple days later it was negotiated down to a $45 dollar service call and equipment free if it really needed replacement....but.... $20 for S/H.

Then a day later I finally convinced them (reading over the previous calling notes that every possible test had been don!e) so they quit insisting on a worthless service call but still wanted their $20 of flesh.

... So i said fine. That's when they hit me with (right before the order was complete) that i'd have to also renew my contract. Of course not with the awesome new customer discounts. I said F U!

They called back 10 min. later and finally sent me out a replacement receiver for free. Though I have a feeling that it was old stock looking at the size and such of the equipment. But it works.

Weird..I've never had any issues with DTV

Blueflame
05-27-2012, 07:48 PM
I've got Dish, never had a problem with their customer service. Always had someone come out and replace our box for free when it got messed up.

It shouldn't require 3 phone calls... in 3 consecutive months... to update information for an automatic payment. If you call once and the person on the other end of the line says your info has been updated, then it should actually be updated and you shouldn't have to call them again the next month to give them the exact same information a second...and then a third... time. Why would one set up automatic payments if you want to have to call them every month? You set up auto payments and expect it to be taken care of so you don't have to bother with writing a check or making a call every month.

El Jué
05-27-2012, 09:39 PM
"Your honor, our antique business model is based on audience behavior that has changed forever. We had a great run for a few decades and you might be able to squeeze one more out for us. We're asking – no, begging – you to subsidize our corporations through the power and price of the legal system."

Archer81
05-27-2012, 09:51 PM
My biggest problem with football games on TV is the commercials... which oddly enough only bothers me when Denver is losing. But even then...TD, commercial. Kickoff, commercial. 3 and out, commercial. Punt, 3 more plays, commercial.

And its always the same 4 ****ing commercials.

:Broncos:

BroncoMan4ever
05-27-2012, 09:51 PM

how about not making me have to sit through 14 minutes of commercials during a half hour long program, when that doesn't happen anymore, I'll quit skipping the mindless minutia that is commercials.

tsiguy96
05-27-2012, 09:53 PM
"Your honor, our antique business model is based on audience behavior that has changed forever. We had a great run for a few decades and you might be able to squeeze one more out for us. We're asking – no, begging – you to subsidize our corporations through the power and price of the legal system."

sounds like the RIAA

El Jué
05-27-2012, 10:12 PM
sounds like the RIAA

Exactly like them. And the Las Vegas Review Journal/Righthaven et al.

Dinosaurs in their death throes.

ZONA
05-27-2012, 10:19 PM
As if we don't have advertising slammed down our throats every frickin where we turn. It's on TV, on all the websites we visit, on our phone apps, on the radio we listen too. On billboards we drive by. Everywhere.

El Jué
05-27-2012, 10:29 PM
As if we don't have advertising slammed down our throats every frickin where we turn. It's on TV, on all the websites we visit, on our phone apps, on the radio we listen too. On billboards we drive by. Everywhere.

The jig is almost up. No one can pay attention to all the messages that are attempting to interrupt and divert us. The traditional agency model and interruption marketing are dying. They're discovering that we're on information overload and they can't annoy us into wanting to use their products. You can't make out a single voice in a room full of people shouting at you.

Patience.

Jetmeck
05-27-2012, 10:58 PM
We dumped Dish for Directv a long time ago... because of Dish Network's terrible (lack of) customer service.

Funny.....had Dish for 10 years. Signal loss could be counted on both hands. As far as the DVR usage we pay extra for that now due to TIVO so I believe if I want to skip your stupid ad I sure will. One push of the button skips one commercial......love it.

BTW...have compared Direct's equipment many times and it doesn't even start to compare to Dish...............

Jetmeck
05-27-2012, 11:00 PM
sounds like the RIAA

or the MPAA.........

MagicHef
05-27-2012, 11:10 PM
The jig is almost up. No one can pay attention to all the messages that are attempting to interrupt and divert us. The traditional agency model and interruption marketing are dying. They're discovering that we're on information overload and they can't annoy us into wanting to use their products. You can't make out a single voice in a room full of people shouting at you.

Patience.

Yeah, but I'm already annoyed at characters in a show randomly praising some aspect of their new car when it has nothing to do with the story. I'm looking at you, Modern Family.

Blueflame
05-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Funny.....had Dish for 10 years. Signal loss could be counted on both hands. As far as the DVR usage we pay extra for that now due to TIVO so I believe if I want to skip your stupid ad I sure will. One push of the button skips one commercial......love it.

BTW...have compared Direct's equipment many times and it doesn't even start to compare to Dish...............

We never looked back after moving from Dish Network to Directv. Perhaps Dish's customer service is better now, but by the third time that they were asked to; said they did; but actually failed to... update our account to facilitate our automatic payment, I'd lost patience with them. It's not "that" difficult to update an account correctly the first time (or at least the second). :)

As for the "mandated commercial viewing"... I can see that networks might be able to withhold their programming from Dish if they provide a machine that will easily skip commercials... but once the remote is in the hands of the viewer, at least some percentage of the advertising is going to be skipped and there's nothing they will be able to do to change that.

ColoradoDarin
05-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Switched from DirecTV to antenna in Feb - haven't missed it at all. Plenty of web-type-sites out there that show the football games so I'm good (had DTV last season, but dropped ST anyways, didn't miss that since Bronco games were on a lot here)

gyldenlove
05-28-2012, 08:34 AM
They are not doing this to win the case, they are doing it to bleed Dish dry with legal costs.

Pony Boy
05-28-2012, 08:59 AM
I’ve never had a problem with DISH and they allow me to put a 3rd receiver in my RV. Also if you I give them a copy of my RV registration I can get the distant channels for my RV and in my house. With the distant channels I get my local channels and Also New York and San Francisco channels. Lot's more options for football games.

broncocalijohn
05-28-2012, 09:24 AM
I wonder what some of you say when they put oodles of product placements in your fav orite tv show or charge for network tv. If you want to skip commercials, you should be doing it yourself and doing it manually not by a provider.

Punisher
05-28-2012, 10:34 AM
I mean that's why were here for just cattle for advertisment

Toshiro Takashi
05-28-2012, 10:45 AM

Mesicans

& Pony Boy

cutthemdown
05-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Dish is a provider. Not letting commercials through to the TV is a conflict of interest with the companies providing them with programing.

lonestar
05-28-2012, 11:17 AM
As if people don't get pretty good at (manually) skipping commercials with the DVR anyway. So... if it's illegal to skip commercials, it would be logical to conclude that it's also illegal to take a bathroom break during one. Good luck to them in enforcing that.

or beer run..

I for one have a skip ahead button on my Direct TV that gives me 30 seconds a push.. ususally 4 of those and I've fast forwarded through those crappy commericials..
takes mere seconds..

I suspect that very soon NFL games will go the route of Pay per view..

Maybe then and only then will commercial TV be a thing of the past..

ohiobronco2
05-28-2012, 11:23 AM
I wonder what some of you say when they put oodles of product placements in your fav orite tv show or charge for network tv. If you want to skip commercials, you should be doing it yourself and doing it manually not by a provider.

They already do that and that is what pisses me off. I have to sit through their shi**y commercials to begin with, but not I have to watch them in the middle of the shows I watch. My wife and I watch Bones and it's the worst. After that Toyota sh*t went down a few years back, they went into damage control mode and whored their product out all throughout the show. I wanted to puke.

Beantown Bronco
05-28-2012, 11:27 AM

Directv's exclusive Sunday Ticket contract with the NFL runs through the 2014 season, so something like that couldn't really happen for AT LEAST 3 more years.

lonestar
05-28-2012, 11:33 AM
I’ve never had a problem with DISH and they allow me to put a 3rd receiver in my RV. Also if you I give them a copy of my RV registration I can get the distant channels for my RV and in my house. With the distant channels I get my local channels and Also New York and San Francisco channels. Lot's more options for football games.

When I first signed up for Direct, I added the east and west coast feeds to ABC,CBS,NBC since Fox was crap back then I did not add them.

I simply told them I coud not get local channels that were worth a damn, so I'm grandfathered in on those feeds and supposedly they can't take them away unless I demand that I get the local channels through them..

I now can get the local feed via a HD antenna which now I can feed into my DVR..

SO If I do not get the game locally which is never for DEN I can usually get it from NYC or LA feeds..

I keep telling them when they call IF they will promise me I can see the Broncos games in total, I will gladly buy direct ticket..

But the NFL policy is IF it is not your home team (locally) they have to play out the earlier game. I sat out a CIN-CLE game once tha was double OT and did not get the DEN game till the two-minute warning first half..

That was when I canceled NFL ticket.

I'd glady pay to be in the DEN market if they would allow that..

But as I said above I think that we will be going to PPV soon..

Tombstone RJ
05-28-2012, 11:57 AM
My biggest problem with football games on TV is the commercials... which oddly enough only bothers me when Denver is losing. But even then...TD, commercial. Kickoff, commercial. 3 and out, commercial. Punt, 3 more plays, commercial.

And its always the same 4 ****ing commercials.

:Broncos:

this is why the networks bid so much money on the NFL because the games are a commercial paradise. The NFL knows this too and this is why there are so many stoppages during a game. They even have "commercial timeouts" for petes sake. That's the networks saying "whoa fella, we've gone way too long without a commercial and well, now we are going to force a commercial onto our viewing audience...."

lonestar
05-28-2012, 12:05 PM
this is why the networks bid so much money on the NFL because the games are a commercial paradise. The NFL knows this too and this is why there are so many stoppages during a game. They even have "commercial timeouts" for petes sake. That's the networks saying "whoa fella, we've gone way too long without a commercial and well, now we are going to force a commercial onto our viewing audience...."

But to be fair the game is NOT stopped JUST for a commercial they are stopped during natural breaks in the game. Change of possession, team time outs etc..

Mostly while we are making our beer runs..
they do not stop a team on a drive just to get their commercials in..

Crushaholic
05-28-2012, 12:26 PM
TV doesn't exist for entertainment purposes. TV shows exist to sell advertisement space...

Blueflame
05-28-2012, 12:39 PM
or beer run..

I for one have a skip ahead button on my Direct TV that gives me 30 seconds a push.. ususally 4 of those and I've fast forwarded through those crappy commericials..
takes mere seconds..

Maybe then and only then will commercial TV be a thing of the past..

We enjoy watching (really bad, cheesy) sci-fi or horror movies on some of the DirecTv channels, but those channels put so damn many commercials (and the same lame ones over and over) on that it truly seems there's "more advertising than movie"... by DVR'ing it and then skipping commercials, you save a lot of time. And really... if you didn't rush to your computer to switch to Progressive insurance the first time you viewed the "Flo-bot-is-broken" commercial, I highly doubt that the 1,000th viewing of that same ad is going to suddenly produce an irresistible urge to do so.

lonestar
05-28-2012, 01:01 PM
We enjoy watching (really bad, cheesy) sci-fi or horror movies on some of the DirecTv channels, but those channels put so damn many commercials (and the same lame ones over and over) on that it truly seems there's "more advertising than movie"... by DVR'ing it and then skipping commercials, you save a lot of time. And really... if you didn't rush to your computer to switch to Progressive insurance the first time you viewed the "Flo-bot-is-broken" commercial, I highly doubt that the 1,000th viewing of that same ad is going to suddenly produce an irresistible urge to do so.

I almost never watch anything live anymore.. Even games I dvr it and then set down 30 minutes or so into teh game to be able to skip all the BS commerncials..

Usually by half time I'm current.. then I go do some yard work and do the same thing..

Why does anyone spend an hour watching a show when you can get thru it in 45 minutes..

houghtam
05-28-2012, 01:11 PM
According to Beantown, advertisements don't work anyway so this is all a moot point...

Fedaykin
05-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Nothing more than a desperate reach on the part of an industry with a dying business model.

Had they kept a reasonable practices people wouldn't hate it so much. Instead they're bordering on 50% of air time being commercials, upping the volume of the commercials, playing commercials DURING the programming, etc.

I've personally been using commercial skipping software on my PVR for almost a decade. It's really annoying to watch *anything* live. I even PVR Broncos games (though I have to manually skip commercials there since the commercial skip software does its thing after the recording ends).

lonestar
05-28-2012, 01:31 PM
What else pisses me off are annoucers during the games giving promos for up coming shows..

Let them call the game..

and get rid of the on screen crap that is down in the corner.. All that does is drive me farther away from Lost or any of the other reality shows they promote..

Frankly I can't even rememebr what they are they turn me off that much....

LongDongJohnson
05-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Hopefully with teblow gone, we will have less 3 and out commercials.

Broncos4tw
05-28-2012, 02:24 PM
It is. Another dish service is no longer around because they were sued to smithereens for exactly the same thing, and lost. It destroyed them. Tivo and other services force you to fast forward through the commercials (although there is an easter egg of sort for Tivo, where you can have it skip them anyway). The auto skip feature is what they are miffed over. And I can't blame them. They make their money off of advertisement.

Many websites don't allow ad-block. For those sites I visit often, I disable the ad-block, and even sometimes click on the odd add to help keep it going. What's wrong with a company wanting to be paid? If everyone could automatically skip all commercials, networks would make no money, and you'd have no more TV. Everyone wants everyone for free these days - media (tv, music and books.. they just illegally download them), all web browsing, etc.

Also, no, 50% of your show is not ads. Time it sometime. It's the same on every show. And they actually passed a law about the volume going on during commercials. I don't particularly enjoy commercials any more than anyone else (except on SB Sunday) - but I understand why they are there. It's not "outdated." Advertising works very well actually. Just ask my wife.. who seems to have me running out to get junk every time she sees a snazzy commercial featuring it. :'(

Jetmeck
05-28-2012, 03:40 PM
TIVO didn't get rid of anything on Dish. We just pay more for the DVR.
It didn't hurt Dish in the least.................

Beantown Bronco
05-28-2012, 03:58 PM
According to Beantown, advertisements don't work anyway so this is all a moot point...

I never said this.

cabronco
05-28-2012, 04:27 PM
I almost never watch anything live anymore.. Even games I dvr it and then set down 30 minutes or so into teh game to be able to skip all the BS commerncials..

Usually by half time I'm current.. then I go do some yard work and do the same thing..

Why does anyone spend an hour watching a show when you can get thru it in 45 minutes..

^ This. Mainly with me, I will record shows that are on for an hour. Just record, take care of stuff around house or whatever, than rip thru annoying stupid commercials and watch show or game. Although I can't watch Bronco games like that. If I'm home I must see it in actual real time.

Kaylore
05-28-2012, 04:33 PM
I like DISH. Channel for Channel its the least expensive of all options. Ten dollars cheaper than Direct. They also don't raise your rates every month like Direct and especially cable do. Really I just get most of my TV through the Internet and cable. I pay 20 bucks for a few channels and DVR. The rest is hulu plus, netflix and torrents.

snowspot66
05-28-2012, 06:30 PM
But as I said above I think that we will be going to PPV soon..

So no games at all even on CBS and Fox without paying? Is that what you mean by PPV?

If they would like fans to burn down the league office then they should go right ahead with that plan.

houghtam
05-28-2012, 06:42 PM
So no games at all even on CBS and Fox without paying? Is that what you mean by PPV?

If they would like fans to burn down the league office then they should go right ahead with that plan.

Right.

As if 95% of the people on this board, if faced with the choice of pay per view and not watching at all (and burning down the league office), wouldn't gladly pay to see their team. If the ONLY options were PPV or going to a game? You'd pay. You'd all pay.

Blueflame
05-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Right.

As if 95% of the people on this board, if faced with the choice of pay per view and not watching at all (and burning down the league office), wouldn't gladly pay to see their team. If the ONLY options were PPV or going to a game? You'd pay. You'd all pay.

Pay per view isn't all that different from Sunday Ticket, which a good percentage of football fans already get.

Jetmeck
05-28-2012, 07:10 PM
You two are funny. Least make a viable point ?

When baseball, hockey , basketball become PPV THEN MAYBE.............whatever

houghtam
05-28-2012, 07:49 PM

Baseball already has it, it's called MLB.tv and it's the most amazing invention in the world. Only an infinitesimally small fraction of the total amount of games played are televised on any of the over-the-air channels, and then only on FOX. MLB.tv is $100, and you can watch every game, every team, for the entire season, including past games. For an extra $20 you can listen to it with your favorite team's radio or television audio. Subject to blackout restrictions. It won't be but 5-10 years before baseball is entirely "PPV", I'd bet, except for the postseason.

lonestar
05-28-2012, 08:41 PM
I like DISH. Channel for Channel its the least expensive of all options. Ten dollars cheaper than Direct. They also don't raise your rates every month like Direct and especially cable do. Really I just get most of my TV through the Internet and cable. I pay 20 bucks for a few channels and DVR. The rest is hulu plus, netflix and torrents.

Actually I've had the same rate for Direct tv now going on 3 years..

there are many channels I like that are not available on Dish..
I've never had an issue with DTV pay my bills on line each month with mycheckfree..

they send me an email whent hey recieve the bill with the amount and when due.. I click about 5 times and it is done..and paid on the day it is due.. even if it is a weekend..

that way 10 different vendors do not have access to my account numbers..

Y'all might want to try it..

Jetmeck
05-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Baseball already has it, it's called MLB.tv and it's the most amazing invention in the world. Only an infinitesimally small fraction of the total amount of games played are televised on any of the over-the-air channels, and then only on FOX. MLB.tv is $100, and you can watch every game, every team, for the entire season, including past games. For an extra $20 you can listen to it with your favorite team's radio or television audio. Subject to blackout restrictions. It won't be but 5-10 years before baseball is entirely "PPV", I'd bet, except for the postseason.

Well no chit..............try ESPN or a dozen other networks.
Try again................total PPV isn't happening.

Jetmeck
05-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Actually I've had the same rate for Direct tv now going on 3 years..

there are many channels I like that are not available on Dish..
I've never had an issue with DTV pay my bills on line each month with mycheckfree..

they send me an email whent hey recieve the bill with the amount and when due.. I click about 5 times and it is done..and paid on the day it is due.. even if it is a weekend..

that way 10 different vendors do not have access to my account numbers..

Y'all might want to try it..

Direct has NOTHING Dish does not have except Sunday ticket.........and the DVR is inferior...............
BTW I can pay online just like you.

Y'all should get better informed just like the BS
you were talking about AA employees.............

lonestar
05-28-2012, 09:01 PM

What do you think the plan is long range?

They are priming the pump to take over broadcasting the games.. they first started out with a few games on NFLN now there are more..

Think about what happens in a few years when the contracts are up.. NFLN will be broadcasting more and more games between now and then..
Eventually they will not renew the CBS_Fox and the other contracts.. and do it them selves..

it is called long range planning..

instead of NFL ticket it will become PPV for the games YOU WANT to see..

I may not live to see it but it is coming..

lonestar
05-28-2012, 09:03 PM

almost no one watches MLB or NHL games on anything but the packages they offer.. the networks have all but given up broadcasting them..

lonestar
05-28-2012, 09:05 PM

Good post I just saw this..

I'm not a fan of either so I have not been even looking for them.. but I'll bet in 5 years except for perhaps the world series they will not be broadcast on free TV..

Jetmeck
05-28-2012, 09:05 PM
almost no one watches MLB or NHL games on anything but the packages they offer.. the networks have all but given up broadcasting them..

BS...........crazy. Not even into BB and its all over the place and I am not paying anything extra................

Direct has NOTHING Dish does not have except Sunday ticket.........and the DVR is inferior...............

DBroncos4life
05-28-2012, 09:12 PM

Yeah I don't ever see the NFL going PPV. That would mean three networks would have to agree to it.

lonestar
05-28-2012, 09:29 PM

What BS is that about AA employees..

So far IIRC nothing has been refuted..

As for DVR while I can't say it is not I've never had a bit an issue with mine and so far that has been 4 or so each time I renew they send me a new one just a bit more advanced than the last ones..

I like the my check free as it is ONE place I can see all of my bills online at once and what payments I have made so far.. opposed to 8-10 different passwords and sites to learn to negotiate around..

to each their own..

chip on your shoulder?

lonestar
05-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Yeah I don't ever see the NFL going PPV. That would mean three networks would have to agree to it.

Not at all.. the NFL will simply at one point say we are done with the contracts.. we are going to do it ourselves..

when NBC lost the AFC contract to CBS they simply hired about 90% of their announcers.. same thing when FOX got into the market..

the NFL eventually will go with their own network and CBS and FOX will not be able to do anything about it..

Right now IIRC they have 6 or so years to get it done.. after that it is new contract time..

Why should the NFL not get all that ad revenue? all that money that is staying at CBS or FOX.

If you have not figured it out yet they NFL is greedy.. They may not make it PPV right away but some where down the road it will be..

houghtam
05-28-2012, 09:39 PM

You're talking about basic cable at minimum or premium cable for some of the networks like Yes, etc. That is completely different from FOX, CBS, NBC or ABC, which are available in nearly every home with a television.

If you look at it from a business perspective, it's a smarter play to go PPV anyhow. FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC, ESPN...they're all just middle men. That is all a TV station is. It's much more cost effective to showcase your product in its own hermetically sealed environment. You can control how it is presented, what is presented, what is advertised, and how much of the cut from advertising you get...which is 100%, by the way.

So in the near future, MLB, NFL and all the other sports whose official channel has snaked its way into basic cable packages due to demand, will wait for contracts with other TV stations to expire, and start transitioning their games to be broadcast only on their station, determined by regional locations, much like Fox Sports does...their own TV stations, if you will. MLB.tv - Rocky Mountain, anyone? For an extra fee you'll be able to access all games.

It's only a matter of time. The leagues, ranging from college football conferences to major professional sports, have been hedging their bets in this direction for decades. Now that we have the technology for it to happen, we're only a few years away from it happening.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-28-2012, 09:44 PM

Notice the term "when" instead of "if"

lonestar
05-28-2012, 09:45 PM
You're talking about basic cable at minimum or premium cable for some of the networks like Yes, etc. That is completely different from FOX, CBS, NBC or ABC, which are available in nearly every home with a television.

If you look at it from a business perspective, it's a smarter play to go PPV anyhow. FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC, ESPN...they're all just middle men. That is all a TV station is. It's much more cost effective to showcase your product in its own hermetically sealed environment. You can control how it is presented, what is presented, what is advertised, and how much of the cut from advertising you get...which is 100%, by the way.

So in the near future, MLB, NFL and all the other sports whose official channel has snaked its way into basic cable packages due to demand, will wait for contracts with other TV stations to expire, and start transitioning their games to be broadcast only on their station, determined by regional locations, much like Fox Sports does...their own TV stations, if you will. MLB.tv - Rocky Mountain, anyone? For an extra fee you'll be able to access all games.

It's only a matter of time. The leagues, ranging from college football conferences to major professional sports, have been hedging their bets in this direction for decades. Now that we have the technology for it to happen, we're only a few years away from it happening.

Hooray someone else gets it..

maybe the maroons will catch on eventually..

broncocalijohn
05-28-2012, 11:38 PM

Then MLB will have to pay some hefty contract deletions of years not used. These contracts that Fox Sports has with MLB teams now will not just give up their contracts without a ton of cashe to offset the loss. MLB.tv is great for those that like to watch your favorite out of town teams. I have Angels here and get probably 158 out of 162 locally....free!

snowspot66
05-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Right.

How many people are in a position where they CAN'T pay?

Also, good luck getting that one by congress. They just love to stick their noses into sports. All the bad publicity from that, regardless of their ability to do anything about it, will draw fire from every angle.

Beantown Bronco
05-29-2012, 03:59 AM
Direct has NOTHING Dish does not have except Sunday ticket.........

So, so wrong. Tell me about dish's 3d programming. It's not even close. Direct blows everyone away there.

chadta
05-29-2012, 04:05 AM
if im not mistaken there are already nhl teams in western canada that have quite a few PPV games each year,

http://www.straight.com/article-256681/vancouver-canucks-broadcast-schedule-includes-12-payperview-games

That leaves 12 games that will be made available via pay per view

this was from a few years ago, i would assume its higher now, and they arent the only ones doing it.

THe leafs have Leafs TV, which is home to 20 or so games a year, thats where the money is, not in owning the team, but in the media rights to the team, which is why bell and rogers the 2 biggest media companies in canada were talking about splitting the MLSE which owns the leafs, raptors, and the building they play in. I forget if the deal went through or fell apart tho of hand.

SPORTSWRITER
05-29-2012, 05:31 AM
I've got a question and would appreciate some response: Wife and I have Direct TV premium package, Verizon cell phone and home phone services, as well as DSL Internet services ALL BUNDLED TOGETHER. This is via Century Link (formerly Qwest) Approximate monthly cost is about $400.00. I truly thought bundling was the best deal, but lately I've seen ads on TV that seem to indicate that I would save more by UNBUNDLING. I can get the Direct TV premium services for $120.00 per month; Verizon cell phone service for about $110; home phone for $20.00 per month, and Century Link DSL Internet for about $100 monthly. Looks like unbundling would save me approx. $50.00 per month. However, it's been awhile since I got those quotes. Any advice, including amounts you're paying for similar services would be appreciated! Thanks for your help

ColoradoDarin
05-29-2012, 05:51 AM
I've got a question and would appreciate some response: Wife and I have Direct TV premium package, Verizon cell phone and home phone services, as well as DSL Internet services ALL BUNDLED TOGETHER. This is via Century Link (formerly Qwest) Approximate monthly cost is about $400.00. I truly thought bundling was the best deal, but lately I've seen ads on TV that seem to indicate that I would save more by UNBUNDLING. I can get the Direct TV premium services for $120.00 per month; Verizon cell phone service for about $110; home phone for $20.00 per month, and Century Link DSL Internet for about $100 monthly. Looks like unbundling would save me approx. $50.00 per month. However, it's been awhile since I got those quotes. Any advice, including amounts you're paying for similar services would be appreciated! Thanks for your help

You can probably save, at the very least, that same amount just by calling and telling them what you found and that you want a deal. Back when I had cable/DTV/Dish (I've had all three at one point or another!) I would call every 6 months or so and get them to reduce my monthly fees. I got sick of paying so much for DTV though and went to an antenna, found a non-Tivo DVR (no monthly fee, but I think I would have made a media PC if I had to do it over again) so we pay a total of $150 or so for 3 cell phones with data and DSL. The only thing I might do additionally is subscribe to Netflix at some point.

Anyways, I would call them and see if they will reduce your bill "the economy sucks, we're cutting back, etc" before I try anything else.

Toshiro Takashi
05-29-2012, 08:20 AM
I have Verizon Fios. Intanet is supah fast. TV is nothin special. I'll probably go back to D* when my promotional rate runs out. [/blog]

houghtam
05-29-2012, 09:03 AM

My wife and I did something similar to what ColoradoDarin is talking about, but we went a little further. We have two cellphones, and a computer which is hooked up to our television, and our PS3. We pay $10 a month for Netflix streaming only. $40 for internet. No cable. Between Hulu, Netflix, and torrents, there is no reason to ever watch TV. Most stations let you watch their shows online now (with limited commercial interruption - about 1/3 of the commercials. ESPN let's you watch pretty much anything they televise anymore. You literally won't miss anything except the local news, which I suppose if you really want, you can get off antenna.

Between our cell phones, Netflix and internet, we pay about 20-30% of what we used to, and get about 90% of the entertainment we used to.

BroncoBen
05-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Amen Brother..! Nothing bothers me more than all those commercial breaks during a football game.

BroncoBen
05-29-2012, 10:04 AM

I looked at bundling a few months ago and I was looking at saving only $5 per service. So maybe $15 overall... per month.

I am really thinking about dropping Direct TV all together... but then I would miss out on shows like 'Walking Dead'.. but we pretty much watch network TV and netflix.

Captain 'Dre
05-29-2012, 03:57 PM

Ha!

Dear Fox, NBC and CBS--

You're upset? Too effing bad!

Signed,

The Viewer

Broncobiv
05-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Notice the term "when" instead of "if"

Well yeah, when you've had the service for over a decade, boxes do tend to need upgrading. New technology and all.

SPORTSWRITER
05-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Many thanks to ColoradoDarin, Toshiro Takashi and houghtam for your info and advice regarding my "bundling" dilemna. It was all very much appreciated!