PDA

View Full Version : Vickerson up to 324

CHANGSTER
05-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Vickerson adds weight, sheds money in search of starting job
Posted by Mike Florio on May 27, 2012, 2:53 PM EDT
Kevin Vickerson AP

Despite all the excitement and anticipation in Denver given the arrival of Peyton Manning, the fact remains that: (1) the schedule is front-loaded with potent offenses; and (2) the Broncos’ defense has been suspect at times.

This year, the Broncos are breaking in yet another defensive coordinator, loading up on cornerbacks, and hoping to find a pair of starting defensive tackles. Gone is Brodrick Bunkley; unsigned is Marcus Thomas.

Kevin Vickerson hopes to fill the void.

After dropping to 275 pounds last year in the hopes of better fitting into the team’s return to a 4-3 front, Vickerson has added a whopping 49 pounds, straining the scale at 324. As Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post explains it, Vickerson hasn’t simply followed the Joe McKnight McDonald’s diet. Vickerson’s body fat has plunged from 37 percent to 24.

More http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/27/vickerson-adds-weight-sheds-money-in-search-of-starting-job/

CHANGSTER
05-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Oops didn't see this was talked about in the nose tackle thread.

baja
05-27-2012, 01:09 PM
I fail to see why you need 324 pounds to tackle a nose.

TheReverend
05-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Adding 49 lbs while cutting 13% body fat in one year... Gtfo

Not even close to possible WITH juice

Mogulseeker
05-27-2012, 01:47 PM
He was around 300 with McDaniels... got down to 285 with the switch to the 4-3... now he's 325?

That can't be healthy.

That said, it's good for us.

rugbythug
05-27-2012, 01:55 PM

Those are not crazy numbers when you get to cartoon sizes. 50 lbs for a 300lber is not a ton of size. And I don't trust BF%.

Ziggy
05-27-2012, 01:55 PM
He was 321 2 years ago, so he's gotten back to his normal playing weight. It should bode well for our Dline. The question now is, do they play him at NT or UT?

Jetmeck
05-27-2012, 02:03 PM
double teamed ? that bodes well for Wolfe, Miller & Dooooommmm

DarkHorse30
05-27-2012, 02:20 PM
I like Vickerson's comments:

Vickerson has had to buy more food with less money. He agreed to cut his pay from $2.5 million to $1.2 million in order to remain on the roster.

“You have to use your leverage when you have your leverage,” Vickerson said. “I was coming off a year of IR. I didn’t do nothing last year. I want to earn my money, and if that means I have to earn it again and show, ‘Hey I am worth it,’ then I’ll get it next year or get a long-term deal sooner rather than later. A job is a job. I’d rather take a pay cut and have a job, than not take a pay cut and not have a job and have my wife and kids looking at me like, ‘What are we going to do?’ You have to be smart about the situation.”http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/27/vickerson-adds-weight-sheds-money-in-search-of-starting-job/

He truly is a man among boys with an attitude like that (to copy a comment from the comments section). Warren better get to signing or he is going to miss a payday

Jetmeck
05-27-2012, 02:24 PM
good for him.....warren better start getting it...............

montrose
05-27-2012, 03:17 PM
He truly is a man among boys with an attitude like that

Or an agent would argue he's a fool among fools for it. LOL The NFL's cutthroat, you get your money when you can.

Honestly he would've been cut if not for the restructure and he wouldn't have signed for more than he's making so it was a wise move in that regard.

Shananahan
05-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Those are not crazy numbers when you get to cartoon sizes. 50 lbs for a 300lber is not a ton of size. And I don't trust BF%.
'Cartoon' is a good word for it. Those numbers do not compute.

Agreed on his comments and attitude, though. Let's hope he puts it all to work on the field.

LongDongJohnson
05-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Hopefully he can get to 400 lbs by the start of training camp so we can have a true nose tackle.

razorwire77
05-27-2012, 03:23 PM

LOL

Laughable. Ronnie Coleman couldn't do that in a bulking and cutting phase while using every injectable in the book.

20 pounds and 5 percent body fat on a big professional athlete maybe, but 50 pounds and 13 percent? no ****ing way.

Mogulseeker
05-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Or an agent would argue he's a fool among fools for it. LOL The NFL's cutthroat, you get your money when you can.

Honestly he would've been cut if not for the restructure and he wouldn't have signed for more than he's making so it was a wise move in that regard.

So it was a smart comment regardless. I bet he ends up starting for Denver this year.

lonestar
05-27-2012, 04:11 PM
If he has accomplished that hooray for all of us..

Lets hope he becomes the next starter for the broncos and they resign him to a multi-year deal because he has a banner year..

I have been hoping they would pay attention to the DT stop for near on a decade.. just maybe someone finally gets it in dove valley.. you win and lose critcal games at the LOS something we have failed to do for a long time..

g6matty
05-27-2012, 04:18 PM
when did the guy go on IR he's had a long time to play with his body weight.

Hamrob
05-27-2012, 04:38 PM
This is the Denver ****ing Post, trying to get the heat off of the Broncos for once again...not addressing the need at DT...the way that is needed.

Vickerson is probably back up to his normal weight of 300lbs. You just wait until we see him and pads...and then, see if you really think he is 325.

I'm calling BS to this crap!

TheReverend
05-27-2012, 04:45 PM

You do realize the article is claiming he gained approximately 85 lbs of lean muscle while losing 35ish of fat, right?

ZONA
05-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Never trust height weight info on professional athletes. I remember back in the day watching Suns games they would announce Barkley's name and size and they always said 6'7. I stood right next to him once and I can tell you he was the same exact height I was which is 6'4. Often I've heard Dwane Wade announced at 6'6 and he's really 6'3.

Oh and how about the ultimate inflated numbers. Hulk Hogan was supposed to be 6'9 and now you see him on rental commercials standing next to Troy Aikmen who looks taller then the Hulkster. So either Aaikman is taller then Brock Osweiler or the Hulkster was lyin his ass off.

Lestat
05-27-2012, 05:38 PM
i don't give a crap what he weights, can he play DT? can he play it effectively and efficiently? that's all i care about.

whether he's 300 or 324 won't matter if he can't help anchor the LOS and get stops.

yerner
05-27-2012, 05:50 PM
meanwhile, he still sucks.

Stuck in Cali
05-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Either way if the numbers he gave were correct or not( maybe he was giving an example instead of exact %). I love his comments on why he went with the restructuring of his contract. He has a better chance sticking around here with good play and attitude, than trying to start over elsewhere I think.

Man-Goblin
05-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Hopefully he can get to 400 lbs by the start of training camp so we can have a true nose tackle.

400 should be no problem by training camp. And he should be able to drop another 10-15% of body fat.

Shananahan
05-27-2012, 06:11 PM
I've never really thought that Vickerson sucked, he's just nothing to really get excited about and as he's never really played a full season as a starter we have no idea what to expect. I was happy with his play in a rotational role a few years ago, and hopefully he'll be able to replicate that this year. Anything else is a bonus.

DBroncos4life
05-27-2012, 06:13 PM
This thread reminds me of this thread....

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=99197&highlight=body+fat

Bmore Manning
05-27-2012, 09:32 PM
He was 321 2 years ago, so he's gotten back to his normal playing weight. It should bode well for our Dline. The question now is, do they play him at NT or UT?

Has to be NT. He can't generate pressure to be a UT. He could be a run down UT..

Bmore Manning
05-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Awesome, Big Vick is back up to his natural playing weight.

Play backup UT, or GTFO Ty Warren.

I see you are no longer leading the save Ty Warren wagon.. :)

pricejj
05-27-2012, 09:59 PM
I always thought the Broncos were planning to play Warren at NT this year. That was never the case (as Vickerson's weight change confirms). If you look at the timeline, the Broncos addressed NT at the start of Free Agency, and continued to pursue a starting NT, until Bannan was signed. They addressed starting UT with their first pick in the draft.

They are giving Warren a chance to compete at the UT position, that is all. They are basically saying, "We are going to pay you the same as Wolfe. May the best man win."

1. 3/14/2012 - Broncos go after Soliai for starting NT
2. 3/21/2012 - Broncos try to resign Bunkley for starting NT
3. 4/11/2012 - Broncos sign Bannan for starting NT (1NT)
4. 4/27/2012 - Broncos draft Wolfe for starting UT (1UT)
5. 5/12/2012 - Various press reports about Garland and Siliga for backup UT emerge
6. 5/14/2012 - Vickerson accepts pay cut to remain on Broncos roster (2NT)
7. 5/14/2012 - Warren does not agree to restructure
8. 5/27/2012 - News emerges stating Vickerson is back up to 324 lbs. cementing his status as backup NT

The offer to restructure Warren makes much more sense now. There is only 1 roster spot remaining on the DL.

Traveler
05-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Never trust height weight info on professional athletes. I remember back in the day watching Suns games they would announce Barkley's name and size and they always said 6'7. I stood right next to him once and I can tell you he was the same exact height I was which is 6'4. Often I've heard Dwane Wade announced at 6'6 and he's really 6'3.

Oh and how about the ultimate inflated numbers. Hulk Hogan was supposed to be 6'9 and now you see him on rental commercials standing next to Troy Aikmen who looks taller then the Hulkster. So either Aaikman is taller then Brock Osweiler or the Hulkster was lyin his ass off.

Aint that the truth. Take Orlando Franklin. After last years NFL Combine, he was listed at 6-5 312. At the start of last years Training Camp he was listed at 6-7 330. Saw him standing next to Clady and Clady was taller.

Bmore Manning
05-28-2012, 08:34 AM
I always thought the Broncos were planning to play Warren at NT this year. That was never the case (as Vickerson's weight change confirms). If you look at the timeline, the Broncos addressed NT at the start of Free Agency, and continued to pursue a starting NT, until Bannan was signed. They addressed starting UT with their first pick in the draft.

They are giving Warren a chance to compete at the UT position, that is all. They are basically saying, "We are going to pay you the same as Wolfe. May the best man win."

5. 5/12/2012 - Various press reports about Garland and Siliga for backup UT emerge
8. 5/27/2012 - News emerges stating Vickerson is back up to 324 lbs. cementing his status as backup NT

The offer to restructure Warren makes much more sense now. There is only 1 roster spot remaining on the DL.

Warren at UT? He's not a penetrator like that. He could play there on run downs...

Run Defenders: Warren, Bannan, Vickerson, Siliga
Gap Shooters: Wolfe, Garland

There are four run defender types and only two true three techs. Garland is a similar player to Wolfe, who is the only other player with production and potential to fill the UT role. And that's all that's needed, since Ayers and Malik Jackson can kick inside on obvious passing downs.

Tombstone RJ
05-28-2012, 08:56 AM

The problem with Vickerson is he can't stay healthy, so having Warren around is still a good idea.

pricejj
05-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Warren at UT? He's not a penetrator like that. He could play there on run downs...

There are four run defender types and only two true three techs. Garland is a similar player to Wolfe, who is the only other player with production and potential to fill the UT role. And that's all that's needed, since Ayers and Malik Jackson can kick inside on obvious passing downs.

That's basically what I'm saying. Their only plans for Warren are to compete for snaps on run downs...that's worth about $1M, not much more than that.
Garland will probably beat out Warren for a spot anyway. It's looking pretty good at the DT position. Wolfe, Garland, Bannan, Vickerson. Freaking stoked ;D

The problem with Vickerson is he can't stay healthy, so having Warren around is still a good idea.

Yeah, keep him around, as long as it makes financial sense...and cut him at the end of training camp. It's probably the same cap penalty if they cut him today, or at the end of training camp.

Punisher
05-28-2012, 09:07 AM
I've never really thought that Vickerson sucked, he's just nothing to really get excited about and as he's never really played a full season as a starter we have no idea what to expect. I was happy with his play in a rotational role a few years ago, and hopefully he'll be able to replicate that this year. Anything else is a bonus.

No he just sucks

TheElusiveKyleOrton
05-28-2012, 09:10 AM
He was around 300 with McDaniels... got down to 285 with the switch to the 4-3... now he's 325?

That can't be healthy.

That said, it's good for us.

The Oprah diet.

Tim
05-28-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm still scratching my head from the 5 million dollar contract extension he got last offseason.

lonestar
05-28-2012, 11:33 AM

Met Hogan at a resort once he was working out in the weight room and he instructed my kids on the proper way to lift..

Great guy and great with kids.

He is not 6'9" or was not 15 years ago or so..

Bacchus
05-28-2012, 03:22 PM
You do realize the article is claiming he gained approximately 85 lbs of lean muscle while losing 35ish of fat, right?

Can you say, Human Growth Hormone. It'll be a sad day in the NFL when they start testing for it.

Houshyamama
05-28-2012, 03:23 PM
http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Articles/20080331/425.the.incredible.hulk.033108.jpg

Houshyamama
05-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Can you say, Human Growth Hormone. It'll be a sad day in the NFL when they start testing for it.

HGH hasn't been proven to do much for strength in healthy males. It may increase muscle mass, but not necessarily strength. Its main supposed benefit is a build up of connective tissue within muscles, increasing injury resistance. HGH and its benefits/drawbacks are very misunderstood, even by the players taking it.

cutthemdown
05-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Met Hogan at a resort once he was working out in the weight room and he instructed my kids on the proper way to lift..

I ran into once in Vegas. He waited for my nephew to grab a pen and paper from gift shop to sign an autograph. He is really funny and was cracking jokes with all the people who gathered around. He signed a few autos then got in elevator and was gone. Seemed like a pretty cool dude though.

baja
05-28-2012, 04:49 PM
I got in a fight with Gorgeous George in Juarez, Mexico.

sgbfan
05-28-2012, 05:17 PM
HGH hasn't been proven to do much for strength in healthy males. It may increase muscle mass, but not necessarily strength. Its main supposed benefit is a build up of connective tissue within muscles, increasing injury resistance. HGH and its benefits/drawbacks are very misunderstood, even by the players taking it.

Sounds like something we need to get Demaryius Thomas on.

Hamrob
05-28-2012, 05:24 PM
The problem with Vickerson is he can't stay healthy, so having Warren around is still a good idea.You're kidding...right? Vickerson got hurt last year...but, other than that...no real health problems.

Warren...hasn't played in what 2.5yrs. So having him around is a good idea?

I don't follow your logic.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-28-2012, 06:35 PM
I can eat 10 cheeseburgers a day and not gain a pound. It would be impossible for me to put on that much weight. Vick must've been working very hard at it this offseason. Shows he wants to be in there.

bowtown
05-28-2012, 06:50 PM
I can eat 10 cheeseburgers a day and not gain a pound. It would be impossible for me to put on that much weight. Vick must've been working very hard at it this offseason. Shows he wants to be in there.

Yes, clearly you and Vickerson have similar body types.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Yes, clearly you and Vickerson have similar body types.

Look at my nose. Of course we have the same body type.

Mogulseeker
05-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Oh, and....

http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Vickerson-McD.jpg

Bacchus
05-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Oh, and....

http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Vickerson-McD.jpg

Wow, what a great picture. I still hate McDaniels!!!

baja
05-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Wow, what a great picture. I still hate McDaniels!!!

That pic does capture his "little prick" personality

SoCalBronco
05-28-2012, 10:42 PM
He seems to be working very hard. Good for Kevin. We can use all the DT depth we can get...especially since the FO is in a pissing contest with Warren that might not end well.

I'm excited to see what the MethWolf can do. Hopefully he can get into the rotation early and often.

2KBack
05-29-2012, 07:42 AM

Yeah, it's amazing how size can fluctuate for celebs/professional athletes. Andre the giant is listed anywhere from 7' to 7'4"
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CSw-H-_a-Hw/T1NuUiDNh6I/AAAAAAAAC58/MtVUrb6uQSU/s1600/Hulk-Hogan-Andre-The-Giant.jpg

Lestat
05-29-2012, 08:11 AM
That pic does capture his "little prick" personality

so does him speaking,breathing,laughing and generally being alive.
can you tell i hate me some McDaniels? ;D

Lestat
05-29-2012, 08:15 AM
Yeah, it's amazing how size can fluctuate for celebs/professional athletes. Andre the giant is listed anywhere from 7' to 7'4"
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CSw-H-_a-Hw/T1NuUiDNh6I/AAAAAAAAC58/MtVUrb6uQSU/s1600/Hulk-Hogan-Andre-The-Giant.jpg

never trust the billed weight or height of any wrestler.
they would at times list Randy Savage as 6'7" and he wasn't close to that.
weights for wrestlers fluctuate so much it's crazy. they billed Undertaker as 7-0 330 lbs for years even when he admitted he was 6-10 290 at best.