PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else encountered this? Wells Fargo screwed me out of $1300. DO NOT DEPOSIT CASH IN ATM's

Cleo McDowell
05-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Lessons learned: 1. Do NOT deposit cash into an ATM. 2. Wells Fargo does not seem to care about the average joe...

Here's the series of events. I've fought with WF over the past couple of days and I've been told to get a lawyer (but what lawyer will take a case as small as this?) and through a tv producer pal of mine, left a message with the CBS Investigative reporting team.. Here are the events:

4/2/2012: Approximately 9:28 AM. Attempted deposit of $1600 in ATM at location. Machine stalled and incorrectly counted / reported my deposit so I hit cancel and only received $295 in cash in return. IMMEDIATELY phoned Wells Fargo customer service and spoke to rep for 20 minutes in reporting situation. No action from Wells Fargo or troubleshooting other than entering claim.

4/3/2012: Phoned Wells Fargo again and they gave me a provisional credit of $1305 and was told they would investigate claim.

5/22/2012: Denied my claim and withdrew $1305 provisional credit. Called for details and they stated that the machines reflected no error, no jam and no overages. Verified the address of the bank and ATM machines with them and asked if they looked at the security cameras / tape and they said "No." Asked if they will and if they can and they said No. Asked if they spoke to the person that manages the balancing of the ATM's directly they said no. Supervisor said they'd relay case to management for consideration once more
5/22/2012: Received call and was told that they were sticking firm to their no. They checked the machine reports and show no error at machine. . They refuse to take any further action and are closing this case, leaving me SOL with bills coming up.

I've been a loyal WF customer for close to 10 years and have no reason to defraud them. I'm sure if this were a larger sum they'd exhaust all resources in tracking down the money, but they refuse to lift another finger it seems.

Bills coming up and this is really screwing with me.. Has anyone encountered this type of problem?

baja
05-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Welcome to deregulation. Banks are allowed to steal these days.

Sorry for your loss that sucks and thanks for the heads up.

Fedaykin
05-25-2012, 03:29 PM
That sucks man.

Good advice: Never trust a computer with the job a person should do.
More good advice: never trust a for profit financial institution.

Is there any legal avenue? In the meantime, start looking at your local credit unions.

gunns
05-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Lessons learned: 1. Do NOT deposit cash into an ATM. 2. Wells Fargo does not seem to care about the average joe...

Here's the series of events. I've fought with WF over the past couple of days and I've been told to get a lawyer (but what lawyer will take a case as small as this?) and through a tv producer pal of mine, left a message with the CBS Investigative reporting team.. Here are the events:

4/2/2012: Approximately 9:28 AM. Attempted deposit of $1600 in ATM at location. Machine stalled and incorrectly counted / reported my deposit so I hit cancel and only received $295 in cash in return. IMMEDIATELY phoned Wells Fargo customer service and spoke to rep for 20 minutes in reporting situation. No action from Wells Fargo or troubleshooting other than entering claim.

4/3/2012: Phoned Wells Fargo again and they gave me a provisional credit of $1305 and was told they would investigate claim.

5/22/2012: Denied my claim and withdrew $1305 provisional credit. Called for details and they stated that the machines reflected no error, no jam and no overages. Verified the address of the bank and ATM machines with them and asked if they looked at the security cameras / tape and they said "No." Asked if they will and if they can and they said No. Asked if they spoke to the person that manages the balancing of the ATM's directly they said no. Supervisor said they'd relay case to management for consideration once more
5/22/2012: Received call and was told that they were sticking firm to their no. They checked the machine reports and show no error at machine. . They refuse to take any further action and are closing this case, leaving me SOL with bills coming up.

I've been a loyal WF customer for close to 10 years and have no reason to defraud them. I'm sure if this were a larger sum they'd exhaust all resources in tracking down the money, but they refuse to lift another finger it seems.

Bills coming up and this is really screwing with me.. Has anyone encountered this type of problem?

First of all, have never deposited money this way as it seemed scary to say the least. Second, you were dealing with Wells Fargo, which says more than the deposit attempt. They've got more screws than Home Depot. I posted a thread on here about 3 years ago about what they did to my son, who is active military, and his wife just after he left for over seas for a year. Won't go into it but I won't have ANYTHING to do with Wells Fargo. They also were heavily into foreclosures of military personnel, which was illegal.

Tombstone RJ
05-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Lesson learned, thanks. I'm not sure how you prove you tried to deposit $1600.00 unless you typed that amount into the ATM at the time of the deposit. I'd think the ATM would have a memory of that transaction, that is, you telling the ATM you are depositing $1600.00 cash. Other than a deposit slip of some sort, a paper trail of some sort, I guess it's your word against a machine's and well, being that you are a human being and a machine not known for this type of error, the burden or proof is probably on you.

Sorry for your loss.

Rohirrim
05-25-2012, 04:01 PM
I had a car financing nightmare with WF many years ago. I will never do business with them again. AFAIC, they are a criminal organization.

Jetmeck
05-25-2012, 04:01 PM
BS...an ATM has record and if that fails the balance would be over or under depending on the transaction issue.

Be more persistent.............go to where the ATM is located and DEMAND this be straightened out NOW !

bEEN THERE................GIVE THEM HELL

razorwire77
05-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Ridiculous. There has to be some sort of a physical count that takes place with these machines. If they aren't required to physically count down the machines by law, than that's bull****. They require a 6.75 an hour employee to count down a $100 drawer at a convenience store. Why not a bank ATM? X amount of money goes in. Y amount of money goes out. A person physically counts the money with a bill counter and checks that against the computer log from the machine. If they did this, the machine should show a $1600 discrepancy. Stay on them. Try to get a story on local news and see if they will do an ambush interview the branch manager. If you remain persistent, they will decide your cash isn't worth it and will simply scratch you check.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Was this ATM connected to a bank? If so, every night that ATM get emptied and there's records of the money that goes in it. Even if the money gets stuck in the machine and not where it's supposed to go that employee still has to record it.

razorwire77
05-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Was this ATM connected to a bank? If so, every night that ATM get emptied and there's records of the money that goes in it. Even if the money gets stuck in the machine and not where it's supposed to go that employee still has to record it.

Wonder if an employee tried to pocket the cash?

Jay3
05-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Here's one -- don't deposit cash in an ATM anyway. Just because.

Lestat
05-25-2012, 04:18 PM
that's some BS they're trying to pull. give them hell, threaten legal action if you have to.
they stole money from you that you need for bills and etc.
if i had to go down to that bank and scream like a maniac until they arrested me somebody would be giving me my money back.

Jay3
05-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Sue them in small claims court.

baja
05-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Seems like an odd glitch, one they would want to avoid at all costs and one they should have a few means of cross checking. Just a thought but did you check your pocket or brief case or where ever you had the money, maybe you didn't deposit any more than what the machine spit back. Worth checking out ;D

Cleo McDowell
05-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks guys. Yes, have been giving them the 'polite-as-can be hell'. Phone calls, conversations with the branch, etc. Told them I will go to the press and will not let this go. The branch guys tried to help but the claims department seemed to run out of f**ks to give -- even with a semi polite threat of going to the media outlets.

What bugs me is the claims department's refusal to dive in any deeper other than reviewing the atm balance statements.

I've asked them if they have reviewed the cameras and investigated / spoke the person in charge of balancing the ATM machines there. They have not and will not take any additional steps. They wont provide any information on what 'third party' balances the ATM's or give any other insight on process/ Simply put, case closed.

The money is there, somewhere.

ak1971
05-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Did said 'ATM' that you made a 'deposit' at reside at a 'gentleman's club' and smell like cheap perfume? if so...Ive had that problem

Aftermath
05-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Wells Fargo are the dirtiest scum of the earth. I will never deal with them again.

Cleo McDowell
05-25-2012, 04:36 PM

In my conversation with the claims supervisor I subtly asked this and he got in a slightly defensive tone, saying "are you inferring that someone st" before I stopped him and said that I am not accusing anyone of anything, I am just saying it has to be somewhere.

Trying to reach someone above the bureaucracy at WF there.. bleh..

Cleo McDowell
05-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Seems like an odd glitch, one they would want to avoid at all costs and one they should have a few means of cross checking. Just a thought but did you check your pocket or brief case or where ever you had the money, maybe you didn't deposit any more than what the machine spit back. Worth checking out ;D

Nope.. Immediately after the malfunction, while in front of the atm I phoned WF customer service and blocked usage of atm (no one there as this was before working hours).. Spent 20 minutes on the phone with a rep who did not troubleshoot, did not contact the branch, did not provide atm assistance, but only 'submit' my case. My fault for trusting that WF would get things right and moving along with my day.

Mogulseeker
05-25-2012, 04:42 PM
I recently cancelled a savings account with Well Fargo, and the rep was telling me I was making a bad decision... he asked me why and I said I had a Roth IRA, and then he said I needed a liquid account - to which I told him I had a savings account with Navy Federal.

Then comes the pathetic part - he said it was a bad idea because I would not be elligible for their premium interest.

He obviously didn't realize I have a degree in Economics because I was following that account, and they started charging me a $10/month service fee... since January I had payed about $40 in service fees and had made all of $2.68 on the premium interest.

I can see how they take advantage of customers who know relatively little about finance. Everything they do is legal, and should be, but I would argue is unethical. I try to stick with USAA/Navy Federal/Charles Schwab if I can.

Dutch
05-25-2012, 04:42 PM
The previous posters were correct in stating that the money in the machine will be verified by the records of that days transactions. They will come up with a cash discrepancy. At which point your claim will be verified. my wife took out $100 in cash at the Wells Fargo machine in her office a month ago. Before she could get her cash (she dropped and kicked her wallet, and had to bend over to retrieve it) the ATM machine ate the cash (didn't even know they could do that prior to this). Contrary to statements made before in this thread, they do not service those ATMs daily. They are all on a schedule that is based on usage metrics. With the holiday weekend coming up, i'll bet it will be mid week next week before you can get an answer. The idea that a company the size of WF would try to juice you for a few hundred, is frankly laughable. Once the cash count on the ATM is completed (the collection guys do not know what is supposed to be in the machine....keeps them honest) the discrepancy will be found and mated up with your claim number. you should then get the amount credited to your account. Sucks having to wait that long, but that is the way it works. They made good on my wife's claim, but it took a week and a half until it was all concluded. The key is to not get ****ty with them at the branch office, or with corporate as that will not improve your situation with them at all. People try to pull ATM fraud on the banks all the time, they have to do what they do to keep from losing tons of money to ATM scams everyday. Again, it sucks....but if you are in the right here, then you eventually get your money restored to your account. As others have said, don't use ATMs for cash deposits. Only takes a couple of more minutes to walk in and use a teller.

Dutch
05-25-2012, 04:51 PM
I recently cancelled a savings account with Well Fargo, and the rep was telling me I was making a bad decision... he asked me why and I said I had a Roth IRA, and then he said I needed a liquid account - to which I told him I had a savings account with Navy Federal.

Then comes the pathetic part - he said it was a bad idea because I would not be elligible for their premium interest.

He obviously didn't realize I have a degree in Economics because I was following that account, and they started charging me a $10/month service fee... since January I had payed about $40 in service fees and had made all of $2.68 on the premium interest.

I can see how they take advantage of customers who know relatively little about finance. Everything they do is legal, and should be, but I would argue is unethical. I try to stick with USAA/Navy Federal/Charles Schwab if I can.

A little off topic, but I am a huge fan of Navy Federal Credit Union. Next to our VA homeowners loans, my wife and I consider them to be the best benefit we left the military with. We just ReFi'ed our house with them. 2.5% on a 15 year VA fixed while rolling in an equity loan. Pretty unreal. Saved us $350 a month in outgoing capital, and will save us over $45K over the life of the loan. Pretty sweet. We've purchase 2 autos and 2 motorcycles with them and each have our own Visa cards as well. The cool thing is that they use simple monthly interest on all of their loans and credit cards as opposed to daily compounded interest. Makes a significant difference in the amount of interest you end up paying over the loan term, or even on a monthly credit card balance. Got to love being a member of the largest Credit Union in the world.

razorwire77
05-25-2012, 04:51 PM
In my conversation with the claims supervisor I subtly asked this and he got in a slightly defensive tone, saying "are you inferring that someone st" before I stopped him and said that I am not accusing anyone of anything, I am just saying it has to be somewhere.

Trying to reach someone above the bureaucracy at WF there.. bleh..

Do you have kids? If so, try to get the local news to spin the angle about the importance of that money to provide for your family. Bank steals $1300 from 10 year long loyal customer is the type of press they want to avoid at all costs. I'd hit up a local newspaper columnist and see if you can get them to write a story too. Local media eats this type of **** up. This is your classic "channel 4 is on your side" type of human interest feature. Where did the $1300 come from? Did you withdraw if from another account? Did someone else? Try to provide a paper trail on your end as best you can.

Dutch
05-25-2012, 04:55 PM

Again, sorry for the hijack...but you need to look at a moneymarket account with NFCU. If you get it up over $2500 you will be drawing .6% as opposed to .3% in savings. Just tossing that out as we just got rid of Eddie Jones for both our IRA management and our moneymarket accounts for that very reason. Got tired of paying thoise clowns a $100 or two a year when NFCU doesn't charge you a dime to do the same thing and pays you better ineterest on the moneymarket.

Cleo McDowell
05-25-2012, 04:56 PM
The previous posters were correct in stating that the money in the machine will be verified by the records of that days transactions. They will come up with a cash discrepancy. At which point your claim will be verified. my wife took out $100 in cash at the Wells Fargo machine in her office a month ago. Before she could get her cash (she dropped and kicked her wallet, and had to bend over to retrieve it) the ATM machine ate the cash (didn't even know they could do that prior to this). Contrary to statements made before in this thread, they do not service those ATMs daily. They are all on a schedule that is based on usage metrics. With the holiday weekend coming up, i'll bet it will be mid week next week before you can get an answer. The idea that a company the size of WF would try to juice you for a few hundred, is frankly laughable. Once the cash count on the ATM is completed (the collection guys do not know what is supposed to be in the machine....keeps them honest) the discrepancy will be found and mated up with your claim number. you should then get the amount credited to your account. Sucks having to wait that long, but that is the way it works. They made good on my wife's claim, but it took a week and a half until it was all concluded. The key is to not get ****ty with them at the branch office, or with corporate as that will not improve your situation with them at all. People try to pull ATM fraud on the banks all the time, they have to do what they do to keep from losing tons of money to ATM scams everyday. Again, it sucks....but if you are in the right here, then you eventually get your money restored to your account. As others have said, don't use ATMs for cash deposits. Only takes a couple of more minutes to walk in and use a teller.

The discrepancy should be found, right? Thats where I'm upset. And I've been nothing but polite to all of the parties as I do understand that nothing gets accomplished by getting ****ty with anyone.

I'm not some shady anonymous ambulance chaser here, but a longtime customer with an account in good standing. Who would attempt to scam a group that has all of their personal info? And what scammer would keep going back to cause a stink with his identity in full view?

All I've been asking them is for them to go back into the investigation, not just review the current paperwork, but look at the cameras, speak to the atm guys, and give your customer the benefit of the doubt here.. I asked the rep if this was a dispute over more money and I was a million dollar customer, would I get the same treatment? Hesitation.

venting..

Fedaykin
05-25-2012, 04:59 PM

Yep. Like I said: never trust a for profit financial institution.

Credit Unions are non-profit -- proceeds from loans/etc are returned to members in the form of free services and significantly better rates (both for loans and for savings/investments). In my experience they have top notch customer service because the service representatives aren't there trying to make the institution money.

Profit motive when the product being sold is financial is a very, very bad thing. They mix like mentos and coke.

jhat01
05-25-2012, 05:01 PM
I doubt they even balance the machine in house. It's probably handled by an armored car company. I worked for one in Vegas for several years and we handled the cash services for their ATMs. We would fill their machines about once a week depending on volume. We would pull all the cash out and load a new amount. If a machine didn't balance, a report would be sent to the bank and investigated. They would hold us responsible for any discrepancies that couldn't be tied to malfunctions. Then we would go to the service techs and shake them down.

DBroncos4life
05-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Can't you get the video of the transaction?

Dutch
05-25-2012, 05:05 PM
The discrepancy should be found, right? Thats where I'm upset. And I've been nothing but polite to all of the parties as I do understand that nothing gets accomplished by getting ****ty with anyone.

I'm not some shady anonymous ambulance chaser here, but a longtime customer with an account in good standing. Who would attempt to scam a group that has all of their personal info? And what scammer would keep going back to cause a stink with his identity in full view?

All I've been asking them is for them to go back into the investigation, not just review the current paperwork, but look at the cameras, speak to the atm guys, and give your customer the benefit of the doubt here.. I asked the rep if this was a dispute over more money and I was a million dollar customer, would I get the same treatment? Hesitation.

venting..

Bro', I get where you are coming from. Frustrating as F dealing with those clowns. Do you have a claim number with them? What is the timeline on this. Like I said before, it took about 10 days to get the problem with my wife's transaction unFed. They did unF it, though. You might be looking at another day or two with them as this Memorial Day weekend and they will probably be a couple of days later getting to that machine. Most of the large banks do not use branch personell to service their ATMs anymore. To risky on the little gals working there. The cash receipts should validate your claim, if they don't....get away from them for good. I agree that you should speak to customer service with corporate about this and make sure you have an active claim number. Every company out there has ****ty little assholes working for them. Maybe you'll have more luck with them at the national/corporate level. That is who my wife dealt with.

Dutch
05-25-2012, 05:08 PM
I doubt they even balance the machine in house. It's probably handled by an armored car company. I worked for one in Vegas for several years and we handled the cash services for their ATMs. We would fill their machines about once a week depending on volume. We would pull all the cash out and load a new amount. If a machine didn't balance, a report would be sent to the bank and investigated. They would hold us responsible for any discrepancies that couldn't be tied to malfunctions. Then we would go to the service techs and shake them down.

This^.....

Requiem
05-25-2012, 05:13 PM
I am sorry for your loss. I got done doing business with Wells Fargo after my first college loan with them. They are cocksmokers. You should try and pull a trailer park Boys on the ATM.

MrPeepers
05-25-2012, 05:16 PM
BS...an ATM has record and if that fails the balance would be over or under depending on the transaction issue.

Be more persistent.............go to where the ATM is located and DEMAND this be straightened out NOW !

bEEN THERE................GIVE THEM HELLy

cosgined. just go to the branch, then the distric manager, then the regional manager. it will get resolved, but the money doesn't vanish and they can't not do an investigation. So if its you, they stop, if its them it goes on.

MrPeepers
05-25-2012, 05:17 PM
if the machine is built onto the building its handled in the branch, if its in a driveup its a armored service.

Mogulseeker
05-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Again, sorry for the hijack...but you need to look at a moneymarket account with NFCU. If you get it up over $2500 you will be drawing .6% as opposed to .3% in savings. Just tossing that out as we just got rid of Eddie Jones for both our IRA management and our moneymarket accounts for that very reason. Got tired of paying thoise clowns a $100 or two a year when NFCU doesn't charge you a dime to do the same thing and pays you better ineterest on the moneymarket.

NFCU is awesome, but I will manage my own account if/when I start working for Schwab ;D

Mogulseeker
05-25-2012, 05:29 PM
A little off topic, but I am a huge fan of Navy Federal Credit Union. Next to our VA homeowners loans, my wife and I consider them to be the best benefit we left the military with. We just ReFi'ed our house with them. 2.5% on a 15 year VA fixed while rolling in an equity loan. Pretty unreal. Saved us $350 a month in outgoing capital, and will save us over $45K over the life of the loan. Pretty sweet. We've purchase 2 autos and 2 motorcycles with them and each have our own Visa cards as well. The cool thing is that they use simple monthly interest on all of their loans and credit cards as opposed to daily compounded interest. Makes a significant difference in the amount of interest you end up paying over the loan term, or even on a monthly credit card balance. Got to love being a member of the largest Credit Union in the world.

I put everything on my last year of college through NFCU because it was 0% APR for the first year... and I will likely get it paid off before I have to pay any APR at all.

I agree... NFCU is one of the best bennies for veterans.

baja
05-25-2012, 05:42 PM
I have accounts at USAA (for vets) but not familiar with NFCU what is it? National Federal Credit Union?

Brewer
05-25-2012, 05:45 PM
When did ATMs start spitting out $5 bills? I call BS on this whole thing.

DBroncos4life
05-25-2012, 05:51 PM
When did ATMs start spitting out $5 bills? I call BS on this whole thing.

When is the last time you went to a ATM?

Mogulseeker
05-25-2012, 05:53 PM
I have accounts at USAA (for vets) but not familiar with NFCU what is it? National Federal Credit Union?

Google, my friend: https://www.nfcu.org/

El Minion
05-25-2012, 06:12 PM

Many years ago had a friend who was the acting branch manager at the end of the day and they had to do the end of day ATM count. Well he stepped out or both did (story is several years old), and lo and behold there was a short of over a thousand dollars. The employee(s) had just enough time and plausible deniability that everyone and no one could have stolen the ATM cash, extremely unlikely it was a computer error since the ATM cash/room being left unattended removed that possibility. Long story short, my friend had to replace the missing cash with his own money to prevent a full bank investigation and possible career derailment.

razorwire77
05-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Many years ago had a friend who was the acting branch manager at the end of the day and they had to do the end of day ATM count. Well he stepped out or both did (story is several years old), and lo and behold there was a short of over a thousand dollars. The employee(s) had just enough time and plausible deniability that everyone and no one could have stolen the ATM cash, extremely unlikely it was a computer error since the ATM cash/room being left unattended removed that possibility. Long story short, my friend had to replace the missing cash with his own money to prevent a full bank investigation and possible career derailment.

In the grand scheme of things, $1000, $2000 doesn't seem like a lot of money. This is especially true when the person stealing the money is in a white collar profession. However, there are so many examples like the one you described. Some people act very impulsively when a hand full of cash is in front of them. Sometimes it's gambling or drug related, but often if is simply the thrill of trying to get away with it. Somebody grabbed the money impulsively.

Brewer
05-25-2012, 06:25 PM
When is the last time you went to a ATM?

A week ago, on vacation. You?

baja
05-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Google, my friend: https://www.nfcu.org/

No I know I can google it but I was looking for feed back on why they are considered so good by a couple of posters.

Actually it might be a good idea to have a banking thread since it's off season.

DBroncos4life
05-25-2012, 06:28 PM

Lots of ATMs let you choose your dollar amount now in the poor hick state of Nebraska. What third world nation did you vacation too?

DBroncos4life
05-25-2012, 06:38 PM
http://www.chacha.com/question/do-any-atm's-let-you-take-out-5-dollar-bills

mr007
05-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Lots of ATMs let you choose your dollar amount now in the poor hick state of Nebraska. What third world nation did you vacation too?

You do realize most ATMs *don't* allow you to take out 5 dollar bills, right......

Ohh NM you're from Nebraska, I got it.

DBroncos4life
05-25-2012, 07:08 PM
You do realize most ATMs *don't* allow you to take out 5 dollar bills, right......

Ohh NM you're from Nebraska, I got it.

Yeah I do realize most ATM's *don't* allow you to take out 5 dollars bills.

You do realize some ATM's DO allow you to take out 5 dollar bills right?

Why don't you call the OP a liar as well. LOL

NUB
05-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Banks gonna bank, man.

Wells Fargo charged me five bucks to withdraw ten bucks once. Another time they hit me with giant fees and then told me, hey, all you have to do to avoid those fees is... do this. For free. When I asked why it wasn't automatically set-up that way the manager shrugged. Okay, thanks for the help, bro, now that you already got my money. FFS.

Gotta pay money to get my money. What a laugh.

mhgaffney
05-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Wells Fargo is one of the big money laundering banks.

Wachovia would have been forced to shut down as a result of repeated scandals involving laundered narco money -- but was "saved" by Wells Fargo.

Some good advice: best to withdraw your money and never deal with them again. WF is presently on the hook for megabucks as a result of selling credit default swaps. If we are lucky, WF will collapse and disappear.

MHG

baja
05-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Wells Fargo is one of the big money laundering banks.

Wachovia would have been forced to shut down as a result of repeated scandals involving laundered narco money -- but was "saved" by Wells Fargo.

Some good advice: best to withdraw your money and never deal with them again. WF is presently on the hook for megabucks as a result of selling credit default swaps. If we are lucky, WF will collapse and disappear.

MHG

Nope WF, B of A, Chase and the other big three will morf into THE ONE WORLD BANK and then we will be fracked

Cleo McDowell
05-25-2012, 10:13 PM

My deposit was a mix of bills including a couple of 5's . Thanks for calling bs though. Why someone would make up such a story is beyond me.

Cleo McDowell
05-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the advice and replies all.. It's going to be a flight. Blech.

Dutch
05-25-2012, 10:46 PM

Navy Federal Credit Union. Back when I opened my account (25 years ago) you had to be an active duty Marine or Sailor on a base with a Navy Fed office on it, or an immediate family member of a member. They have since opened it up to all branches of active duty, I believe. I think for those that are out, you still have to have been stationed on a base that had a branch office located there. You can get more info on membership here:
https://www.navyfederal.org/
As for USAA, they are great as well. Especially when it comes to insurance, but when it comes to loans, banking, and credit cards....I have yet to find anyone out there (and I've looked) that can hold a candle to them. Super easy to deal with (we've purchased three new autos, and two motorcycles online from them that our checks were in our mailbox in two business day every time). Our first mortgage (VA), an equity loan, and now a ReFi (also VA) that went as smoothly as possible (the only painful part of the process was dealing with the VA, not NFCU). At the end of the day, if you qualify to have an account (again, go to the web site to see if you qualify) get one. It only runs you a minimal amount of money to open one ($5 back in the day, don't know about now), and once you do have one...get your family signed up as well, one of the nicest things you can do for them long term. They are one of the oldest (est 1947) and one of the largest Credit Unions in the world (4 million members with $47 billion in assets) and are run by a very responsible board.

baja
05-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Navy Federal Credit Union. Back when I opened my account (25 years ago) you had to be an active duty Marine or Sailor on a base with a Navy Fed office on it, or an immediate family member of a member. They have since opened it up to all branches of active duty, I believe. I think for those that are out, you still have to have been stationed on a base that had a branch office located there. You can get more info on membership here:
https://www.navyfederal.org/
As for USAA, they are great as well. Especially when it comes to insurance, but when it comes to loans, banking, and credit cards....I have yet to find anyone out there (and I've looked) that can hold a candle to them. Super easy to deal with (we've purchased three new autos, and two motorcycles online from them that our checks were in our mailbox in two business day every time). Our first mortgage (VA), an equity loan, and now a ReFi (also VA) that went as smoothly as possible (the only painful part of the process was dealing with the VA, not NFCU). At the end of the day, if you qualify to have an account (again, go to the web site to see if you qualify) get one. It only runs you a minimal amount of money to open one ($5 back in the day, don't know about now), and once you do have one...get your family signed up as well, one of the nicest things you can do for them long term. They are one of the oldest (est 1947) and one of the largest Credit Unions in the world (4 million members with $47 billion in assets) and are run by a very responsible board.

That's awesome Dutch. Thanks a bunch.

Dutch
05-25-2012, 11:45 PM
That's awesome Dutch. Thanks a bunch.

No prob, Bro'. Just passing on the goods. I still find it hard to believe we purchased 5 new vehicles online without ever having to speak to anyone. Just filled out the paperwork online, submitted, and two business days later-bam! Check in the mailbox. Nice write-up on the bennies here:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Amazing-Benefits-of-the-Navy-Federal-Credit-Union&id=356527
Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

baja
05-25-2012, 11:56 PM
No prob, Bro'. Just passing on the goods. I still find it hard to believe we purchased 5 new vehicles online without ever having to speak to anyone. Just filled out the paperwork online, submitted, and two business days later-bam! Check in the mailbox. Nice write-up on the bennies here:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Amazing-Benefits-of-the-Navy-Federal-Credit-Union&id=356527
Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

Looks like you have to be active duty and I got discharged many moons ago. Too bad to, looks like a great Credit Union and I've been in the market for one for a while now.

The too big to fail banks are so incredibly over leveraged it's down right scary.

Crushaholic
05-26-2012, 01:08 AM
Hmmm...Wells Fargo used to have their stagecoaches robbed, all the time. Now, it seems that THEY are doing the robbing...

Dutch
05-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Looks like you have to be active duty and I got discharged many moons ago. Too bad to, looks like a great Credit Union and I've been in the market for one for a while now.

The too big to fail banks are so incredibly over leveraged it's down right scary.

Nope, don't have to be on active duty. Give them a call, Baja. they are open 24/7. They'll help you out, if you served on a base with a branch office you can get a membership. Just had a friend of mine who did it a few months ago. Where all were you stationed?

Mogulseeker
05-26-2012, 12:07 PM
I've gotten 5s out of an ATM before.

baja
05-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Nope, don't have to be on active duty. Give them a call, Baja. they are open 24/7. They'll help you out, if you served on a base with a branch office you can get a membership. Just had a friend of mine who did it a few months ago. Where all were you stationed?

OK THAT'S GOOD NEWS

I took their membership "test" and was told I did not qualify but I will certainly give them a call. I assume they do everything online similar to USAA.

Fort Bliss, TX and Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville AL. and Fort Dix, NJ

Dutch
05-26-2012, 02:06 PM
OK THAT'S GOOD NEWS

I took their membership "test" and was told I did not qualify but I will certainly give them a call. I assume they do everything online similar to USAA.

Fort Bliss, TX and Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville AL. and Fort Dix, NJ

Worth a shot, Baja. If it doesn't work out....you got any former department of the Navy types in your family?

baja
05-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Worth a shot, Baja. If it doesn't work out....you got any former department of the Navy types in your family?

My dad is a decorated Navy WII vet.

RhymesayersDU
05-26-2012, 02:15 PM
I haven't read all the replies, but this situation did happen to me before when I was in college. I tried depositing money in an ATM, and it took my money but didn't credit my account. To be honest, I think I ****ed it up and pressed an incorrect button or something. Anyways I called Wells Fargo, they were extremely cool about it, and at the end of the day when count was off exactly my amount, they credited it to my account.

Needless to say, I never did that again. Sucks to hear they're not helping you at all.

DENVERDUI55
05-26-2012, 06:12 PM
I haven't read all the replies, but this situation did happen to me before when I was in college. I tried depositing money in an ATM, and it took my money but didn't credit my account. To be honest, I think I ****ed it up and pressed an incorrect button or something. Anyways I called Wells Fargo, they were extremely cool about it, and at the end of the day when count was off exactly my amount, they credited it to my account.

Needless to say, I never did that again. Sucks to hear they're not helping you at all.

I'd never do cash but I do do checks. Works great.

JJG
05-26-2012, 09:45 PM
others have said as much but I'll chime in here.

I worked as an ATM tech for about a year with an armored car company. We serviced atm's one to three times a week depending on how much money they go through. Every machine regardless of the bank that owned it would print out a balance receipt showing how much cash was left in the dispenser, and how much money (checks and cash) had been deposited. We pulled all the deposits, and all the remaining cash (usually at least over $5,000) and sealed it in a bag which was later checked into the vault where they would reconcile the balances. Im not saying a tech didn't take it, but would seem pretty unlikely IMO to pull out the exact amount you are missing. There is just not enough time to do it. If the machine itself jambs, malfunctions, runs out of receipt paper, gets low on cash, or has too many deposits it will automatically notify the company who services it. They will then send a tech to fix the problem usually in less than an hour. Im not saying they don't ever mess up, but it's pretty rare. I'm sorry you had trouble and I hope it gets resolved.

Mogulseeker
05-26-2012, 11:07 PM

Actually, I think Baja is right... my inactive reserve just expired today, and I had to set up my account while I was still on it, because as of May 29th, I'm no longer eligible to open up new accounts.

The only thing that sucks is that I have to drive all the way from Littleton to Aurora to cash a check.

Cleo McDowell
05-27-2012, 12:39 AM

I worked as an ATM tech for about a year with an armored car company. We serviced atm's one to three times a week depending on how much money they go through. Every machine regardless of the bank that owned it would print out a balance receipt showing how much cash was left in the dispenser, and how much money (checks and cash) had been deposited. We pulled all the deposits, and all the remaining cash (usually at least over $5,000) and sealed it in a bag which was later checked into the vault where they would reconcile the balances. Im not saying a tech didn't take it, but would seem pretty unlikely IMO to pull out the exact amount you are missing. There is just not enough time to do it. If the machine itself jambs, malfunctions, runs out of receipt paper, gets low on cash, or has too many deposits it will automatically notify the company who services it. They will then send a tech to fix the problem usually in less than an hour. Im not saying they don't ever mess up, but it's pretty rare. I'm sorry you had trouble and I hope it gets resolved.

Thanks for he insight. This makes it even more puzzling...

hambone13
05-27-2012, 04:51 AM

I don't know how cash deposits work at Wells Fargo but at US Bank, you enter the amount of the deposit either cash or check, into an envelope and then a device similar to a bill changer at the arcade. Then, you hear the machine, print something (I would imagine account #, amount, date, etc.) on to the envelope and then you're done. It's not like the machine is counting the money, it just takes the envelope. I could see how a tech or who ever is receiving the contents when it's dropped off could reach into a bulging envelope and take out the entire contents or just a large portion of it in the blink of an eye. There would be no way to prove who was right, the customer or the tech/rep at the receiving bank. Mostly because no one is counting the amount in the envelope on the receiving end so they could blame the customer for trying to scam them. It would be a pretty clever scam actually.

Baba Booey
05-27-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm hesitant to even deposit checks into an ATM. Way too much room for error if you ask me.

Direct deposit ftw.

Slightly Soiled
05-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Have you tried your state consumer fraud department or the better business bureau

JJG
06-01-2012, 11:03 AM
I don't know how cash deposits work at Wells Fargo but at US Bank, you enter the amount of the deposit either cash or check, into an envelope and then a device similar to a bill changer at the arcade. Then, you hear the machine, print something (I would imagine account #, amount, date, etc.) on to the envelope and then you're done. It's not like the machine is counting the money, it just takes the envelope. I could see how a tech or who ever is receiving the contents when it's dropped off could reach into a bulging envelope and take out the entire contents or just a large portion of it in the blink of an eye. There would be no way to prove who was right, the customer or the tech/rep at the receiving bank. Mostly because no one is counting the amount in the envelope on the receiving end so they could blame the customer for trying to scam them. It would be a pretty clever scam actually.

I believe all the Wells Fargo's moved to an envelope-less system, at least they have in my area. It scans everything as you deposit and you confirm the transaction on the screen, so it is in fact counting the money (or checks). I can't confirm what type of machine he was using.

Your right about the envelope system. I'm sure there are safeguards in place to prevent that from happening, but its been 5+ years so its a little foggy. I learned enough to know its way easier to just rob a bank than try to break into an ATM

BroncoBen
06-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Lessons learned: 2. Wells Fargo does not seem to care about the average joe...

Years ago I used to Bank with Wells Fargo.. until I started seeing charges on my Bank Statement for talking to bank represenitives 'over the phone' about my account.

That was the final straw for me with Wells Fargo, guess they need all the money they can get for those TV ads.

baja
06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Any development on recovering your $1600

Dutch
06-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Any development on recovering your $1600

I was wondering how this shook out as well....

Dr. Broncenstein
06-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I've lost 1$ in a pop machine before. Learned my lesson then. Amazed that anyone would put a significant amount of cash into a machine.

baja
06-01-2012, 01:35 PM
I beat up a coke machine once.

24champ
06-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Be like Deshawn Stevenson and put an ATM in your own home...problem solved.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2012-05-31-atm.jpg

broncocalijohn
06-01-2012, 02:30 PM

You damn well knew the machine wasn't selling sun light for food. Hilarious!

baja
06-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Ha ha ha great idea

unless your wife is a crack head*

* breaking bad reference (who got it?)

baja
06-01-2012, 02:31 PM
You damn well knew the machine wasn't selling sun light for food. Hilarious!

I was doing society a favor ;D

Doggcow
06-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I've always had good results with USAA. I'm quite happy with them.

DBroncos4life
06-01-2012, 08:44 PM

The only way to properly reply to this will get you banned.