PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Elvis Dumervil, Von Miller watch weight to better chase QBs

Bronco Rob
05-25-2012, 05:57 AM
Broncos' Elvis Dumervil, Von Miller watch weight to better chase QBs

Associated Press PUBLISHED 17 hours and 37 minutes ago

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. Denver Broncos pass rushers Elvis Dumervil and Von Miller are carefully counting calories in their hunger to chase down quarterbacks.

Dumervil has already shed at least 10 pounds this offseason, hoping a skinnier version of him will be that much faster on the field.

In contrast, his sack partner for the Denver Broncos keeps trying to bulk up. Miller, the defensive rookie of the year last season, wouldn't mind packing on another 10 pounds or so to help him fend off bigger offensive linemen.

Pound for pound, these bookend rushers may just be blossoming into one of the league's top tandems. They're "Batman and Robin," as Miller has taken to calling them, and combined for 21 sacks in 2011.

With Peyton Manning now running the show and possibly putting plenty of points on the board, the dynamic duo figures to be even more potent this time around. Staked to a lead, Miller and Dumervil will be turned loose just like Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis once were when Manning was starring in Indy.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-05-24/denver-broncos-elvis-dumervil-von-miller-watch-weight-to-better-chase-qbs#ixzz1vsxW4onP

Kaylore
05-25-2012, 06:19 AM
This is one of the benefits missed with the lockout: Health and weight management. They can work closely with the trainers all offseason to hit their conditioning goals going into the season. I remember there was a slew of players who were cut because they couldn't make weight around the league last year.

GreatBronco16
05-25-2012, 06:29 AM
A single paragraph with a link to the story is probably not going to get us into any trouble, and will most likely be appreciated for the traffic that it drives. Please do your part to keep our little slice of Broncomania in the good graces of our friends who are helping to feed the discussion.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95176

Drek
05-25-2012, 06:47 AM
This is one of the benefits missed with the lockout: Health and weight management. They can work closely with the trainers all offseason to hit their conditioning goals going into the season. I remember there was a slew of players who were cut because they couldn't make weight around the league last year.

It is a very big deal, but I'd say for the 2012 Broncos it will be especially important.

Ryan Clady is now having his first real overseen rehab from his knee injury.

Thomas is going to have his first healthy pre-season.

Even guys like Beadles, Walton, and Decker, Carter, Moore, etc. will benefit. This team has turned over a lot of key players from the 2010 draft (short session for rookies) and the 2011 off-season (lockout shortened everything) to now.

A lot of these young guys we were already leaning on in 2011 will have a great opportunity to take the next step forward.

As for Doom in particular, anyone think him shedding 10 pounds down to 250 might be tied in with the drafting of Malik Jackson? I'm thinking we might see Doom getting off the field on run downs to keep him rested and less banged up.

Bronco Rob
05-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Doom getting off the field on run downs to keep him rested and less banged up.

This.

BMarsh615
05-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Half of Doom's sacks last year came on 1st down.

Elvis is a better all around football player than he is given credit for IMO. His size limits him sometimes but he is a smart player who can read things well and always gives top notch effort.

cutthemdown
05-25-2012, 09:58 AM
It's a pass happy league. You can no longer expect 1st down to be a running down.

ludo21
05-25-2012, 10:14 AM
10 sacks from each should be a piece of cake for these guys nex year.

I am looking forward to seeing VON improve his run stopping and getting out on quick slants quicker

Drek
05-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Half of Doom's sacks last year came on 1st down.

Elvis is a better all around football player than he is given credit for IMO. His size limits him sometimes but he is a smart player who can read things well and always gives top notch effort.

1st down isn't a running down.

I think Doom is a great player, but he isn't a difference maker in the run game and he's had some trouble over his career staying 100% healthy and effective.

So why trot him out there on 3rd and 2 when instead we could get a bigger, more powerful run defender on the field and let Doom catch a breather in case the offense does convert it?

Bronco Rob
05-25-2012, 11:51 AM
How did the Colts use Freeney and Mathis?

Houshyamama
05-25-2012, 11:59 AM

I think it was on defense.

Beantown Bronco
05-25-2012, 12:14 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qy3CxhOPrd8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pricejj
05-25-2012, 01:13 PM
At 250 lbs., Dumervil is not undersized for a 4-3 LDE. Elite 4-3 pass rushing LDE's are generally anywhere from 250-270 lbs. Dumervil is right where he needs to be as far as weight is concerned. His arms aren't long (32"), which hampers his ability to get off blocks in the run game. Obviously, his arm length hasn't affected his ability to get to the QB.

LongDongJohnson
05-25-2012, 01:45 PM
At 250 lbs., Dumervil is not undersized for a 4-3 LDE. Elite 4-3 pass rushing LDE's are generally anywhere from 250-270 lbs. Dumervil is right where he needs to be as far as weight is concerned. His arms aren't long (32"), which hampers his ability to get off blocks in the run game. Obviously, his arm length hasn't affected his ability to get to the QB.

For his height elvis has very long arms.

pricejj
05-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Yeah, so I've heard....but they're only 32", I didn't know that before today. They are not long for NFL DL standards.

< 32" - short (Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw)
= 32" - adequate (Elvis Dumervil, Jared Allen)
> 32" - below average (Chris Long)
= 33" - average (Dwight Freeney)
> 33" - above average (Derek Wolfe, Justin Tuck, Mario Williams)
= 34" - excellent (J.J. Watt)
> 34" - superior (JPP, Chandler Jones, Micheal Brockers)

That's a list I just made up, so take it fwiw.

Clady - 36 3/4"
Franklin - 35"

Tim
05-25-2012, 06:09 PM
= 32" - adequate (Elvis Dumervil, Jared Allen)

Its funny that 5'11" elvis has the the same arm length as someone who is 6'6 like rodeo

Abqbronco
05-25-2012, 06:42 PM
1st down isn't a running down.

I think Doom is a great player, but he isn't a difference maker in the run game and he's had some trouble over his career staying 100% healthy and effective.

So why trot him out there on 3rd and 2 when instead we could get a bigger, more powerful run defender on the field and let Doom catch a breather in case the offense does convert it?

Yeah, totally!!!! Dude is always hurt! Like that 1 one 1 one year!

Drek
05-26-2012, 03:08 AM
Yeah, totally!!!! Dude is always hurt! Like that 1 one 1 one year!

Obviously you need to start paying better attention. Dumervil had his hand in a cast or brace for a large part of the 2008 season, which played a key role in him dropping from 8.5 sacks in '06, 12.5 sacks in '07, to 5.0 sacks in '08.

Small **** makes a big difference for pass rushers like Doom and Miller. We saw that all too well last season with Miller when his hand went into a cast. He wasn't the same player.

Also, Doom was out the first two games of 2011 due to a shoulder injury, then played most of the rest of the season with an ankle injury.

I'm not saying we're going to have a ton of missed time if he plays every down and distance. I'm saying that in a league where no one is 100% why do we want Doom playing at 75% instead of 90%, just so he can be a mediocre run support DE? Malik Jackson can do at least that in run support and Doom can be rested and avoid a little more wear and tear on his body so that we don't see as many multiple game droughts with no production because he's physically battered.