PDA

View Full Version : Football Outsiders "defeats" stats

TonyR
05-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Football Outsiders defines a "defeat" as " any play (tackle, assist, pass defensed, interception, or forced fumble) that does one of three things:
1) causes a turnover
2) causes a loss of yardage
3) stops conversion on third or fourth down "

Von Miller is of course one of the league leaders (5th overall and tied for 3rd in "pass defeats"). Joe Mays is tied for 6th in "run defeats". Quentin Carter is tied for 3rd worst in "lowest percentage of plays as defeats".

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/2011-defeats

schaaf
05-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Football Outsiders defines a "defeat" as " any play (tackle, assist, pass defensed, interception, or forced fumble) that does one of three things:
1) causes a turnover
2) causes a loss of yardage
3) stops conversion on third or fourth down "

Von Miller is of course one of the league leaders (5th overall and tied for 3rd in "pass defeats"). Joe Mays is tied for 6th in "run defeats". Quentin Carter is tied for 3rd worst in "lowest percentage of plays as defeats".

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/2011-defeats

Carter did everything he was asked to last year but I also look for him to be a little more aggressive this year

Garcia Bronco
05-24-2012, 07:47 AM
I thought Carter did an awesome job last year and I look forward to watching him again.

Drunken.Broncoholic
05-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Carter stepped up when Moore couldn't. He's got a lot of things to work on but it's hard to complain about Carter if Moore is still stinkin it up.

lolcopter
05-24-2012, 08:05 AM
I wouldnt expect a lot of "defeats" from the S position aside from INTs...
Let alone from a rookie in a secondary that rarely cause turnovers

cmhargrove
05-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Carter did everything he was asked to last year but I also look for him to be a little more aggressive this year

Carter is in the perfect place to make a huge jump this year, but we still have to be honest about our players. I watched a lot of OU football, and Carter has always had a real issue with wrapping up when he tackles. He tried to shoulder tackle at OU, and he still tries to bump tackle in the NFL. He could be a very good SS in this league if he would learn how to tackle from guys like Champ (one of the best tackling corners in history).

He just needs to become a sure tackler, and he will be successful in this league. If he doesn't, he's easily replaceable this year. I don't think Del Rio will leave him on the field if he doesn't start tackling better.

DarkHorse30
05-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Go Mays! - maybe our middle is a little better than we thought?- NDSU national champs this year....and ND/Mont/Wyo youngsters are rockin' the bakken in spite of our woeful economy. Cool.

g6matty
05-24-2012, 09:35 AM
carter was playing out of position last year but he still did an ok job in my eyes. he has a lot of upside at SS.

BroncoMan4ever
05-24-2012, 11:23 AM

i think once Carter figures out the speed and nuances of the NFL game, he's going to be a damn good Safety for us. still haven't given up on Moore, but i think Carter is going to be better.

Boomhauer
05-25-2012, 03:28 AM
Go Mays! - maybe our middle is a little better than we thought...

No, it just goes to show stats are largely irrelevant and used by those that stare at trees while missing the forest. Their only real use is not in predicting what could happen, but trying to quantify what did if you either weren't there or were too busy staring at trees. Mays sucks and no stat changes that, but some stats will say he's great.