PDA

View Full Version : OT: Youth Football

Vegas_Bronco
05-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for videos, online stuff, etc for youth football - there is a lot of crap out there and I'm looking for some good effective training for him to take along (angles, ball skills, tackling, etc)? Thank you in advance for your time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It happened this year - I am finally getting old up into those 30s...I have a 12 year old son who loves this game maybe more than I do...arguable. I steered him away from tackle fball to this point simply because he loves tossing the rock in 7 on 7 and our full contact leagues in Vegas run the ball 8 out of 10 downs. He is moving into full pads this football season.

He loves them broncos...his first game was playoff game when Champ picked Brady and went 99 yards the opposite way. Some broncos fan in front of us picked him up on his shoulders and was dancing up and down...hilarious and after that it was on - he was hooked...that be 4 years ago this season. See, you just got old too! He has a notebook that he writes stuff down in...sick obsession with routes, plays, etc...but has asbergers so it is what it is.

He is pretty good qb but I put him in a summer league in Tulsa, OK (Jenks). Playing in the summer league will allow him to spend time with his cousin and get some good exposure in cooler weather. He is 5'2" and lengthy - he goes to the gym with dad and keeps me from talking to all the women...I have the 'old man' stare at everything problems.

He sat down tonight and wants to continue qb but also wants to play defense. Tnite he said, "dad, as soon as I'm done with school and want to really get ready for football." I think he's a bit nervous as he knows Oklahoma is a whole different state and he wants something to work on before jumping in.

missingnumber7
05-23-2012, 08:15 PM
usafootball.com used to have good stuff, so did popwarner, but i haven't looked in a while.

cmhargrove
05-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for videos, online stuff, etc for youth football - there is a lot of crap out there and I'm looking for some good effective training for him to take along (angles, ball skills, tackling, etc)? Thank you in advance for your time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It happened this year - I am finally getting old up into those 30s...I have a 12 year old son who loves this game maybe more than I do...arguable. I steered him away from tackle fball to this point simply because he loves tossing the rock in 7 on 7 and our full contact leagues in Vegas run the ball 8 out of 10 downs. He is moving into full pads this football season.

He loves them broncos...his first game was playoff game when Champ picked Brady and went 99 yards the opposite way. Some broncos fan in front of us picked him up on his shoulders and was dancing up and down...hilarious and after that it was on - he was hooked...that be 4 years ago this season. See, you just got old too! He has a notebook that he writes stuff down in...sick obsession with routes, plays, etc...but has asbergers so it is what it is.

He is pretty good qb but I put him in a summer league in Tulsa, OK (Jenks). Playing in the summer league will allow him to spend time with his cousin and get some good exposure in cooler weather. He is 5'2" and lengthy - he goes to the gym with dad and keeps me from talking to all the women...I have the 'old man' stare at everything problems.

He sat down tonight and wants to continue qb but also wants to play defense. Tnite he said, "dad, as soon as I'm done with school and want to really get ready for football." I think he's a bit nervous as he knows Oklahoma is a whole different state and he wants something to work on before jumping in.

Hey Vegas,
As a native Tulsan I can say that the two places for your kid to get the best football exposure in the area are Union and Jenks (which it looks like you found). Just a couple more questions. Is your son competing in 7 on 7 this summer, or is he doing offseason work with a Jenks team, or is he participating in camps? He might already be in the right spot to learn.
Just as a point of order, ALL good football teams (at 12 years old) run the ball 8 out of 10 downs, so he shouldn't get frustrated by that. The coaches will switch to more of the pass priented offenses when the players physically have the ability to do it. At 12, he is probably the coaches favorite QB if he can run the ball as well as he can pass it. We really started to change our cameplans around age 12-13 when I ended up with a six foot tall QB that could throw the ball 45-50 yards in the air. Honestly, it's also as much of an issue to find a competent receiver. Usually the one kid that can consistently catch passes is also your starting running back (best athlete) so it makes it pretty difficult.
Jenks is a great place to learn as you well know. They should have a great offseason program, but i'm not sure about how much padded practice they will have until the end of the summer. Remember that there also short term camps at University of Tulsa and the University of Oklahoma. Jenks competes in the Indian Nations Football league, which will have a youth camp put on by Roy Williams later this summer.
If he wantes to watch the high school in action, I know that on June 2nd the Red Bull national 7 on 7 tournament comes to Tulsa (qualifier rounds). All of the major programs in Tulsa will be competing (including Jenks High School). As I said, it starts June 2, and is at East Central High School.

At 12, your son is really "raw meat" to a coach. The best thing he can do is try every position that interest him, while trying to physically build his body and skills. Have him eat well, sleep well, and fight like crazy and he will love his football experience at this age.
My oldest son (now playing scholarship ball in college) didn't start football until around 12, and his first practice he came home as a starting offensive lineman. By the end of the week, he was also starting on the d-line. The nnext week, he also took the job at kicker. At this age, coaches just love a gifted and willing athlete so your son should try everything they suggest to get on the field.

Good luck!

missingnumber7
05-24-2012, 07:34 AM
I agree with the camps thing, a lot of camps focus on teaching the basics and especially safe tackling and proper hitting mechanics.

Bacchus
05-24-2012, 07:56 AM
have him play baseball or tennis.

uk bronco
05-24-2012, 08:01 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Grow-Winning-Quarterback-Jerry-Rhome/dp/B000H2MG62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337868025&sr=8-1

i found this book really useful for coaching qbs

Jason in LA
05-24-2012, 08:06 AM
I've had experience with camps and coaches that work with smaller groups, and I'd say that you should do both. My son is a 10th grader and I'd say that for learning his position, WR, he's learned a lot more from working with coaches that work with small groups. He worked with this one QB/WR coach where it was usually just my son and a QB. Or just one other WR. He got a lot of attention and a lot of reps. When he went to camps, he didn't learn a whole lot because there were so many kids. When there are 50 other WRs, what is he actually going to learn? And how many reps will he get? But I do find the camps helpful in terms of getting exposure. He got to meet the college scouts that are assigned to his area, and he got to see his competition level. So he learns a lot from the smaller groups, and he shows off what he's learned at the camps.

I'm not familiar with your area, but I'm sure it won't be hard to find coaches or programs for your son. I would say that if he wants to make a serious run at a college scholarship, he has to do training outside of what ever team that he he plays for. The QB/WR coach that I worked with, he told me that because a high school coach has limited time and a limited coaching staff, usually unpaid for the most part, all he really has time to do is teach the players how to line up and run the play. When it comes to learning how to play a position, there just isn't much instruction. I've been coaching Pop Warner football for the last 3 years, and it is true. We get the kids for 2 hours a practice, and only practice 3 times a week. There just isn't enough time to really teach each position when dealing with that many kids.

For your son, I'd say get him involved with a 7on7 team, and find out who is a good personal coach. Doing that will give him a major step up over most kids entering high school when he gets there in a couple years. It will make a difference.

Vegas_Bronco
05-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Hey Vegas,
As a native Tulsan I can say that the two places for your kid to get the best football exposure in the area are Union and Jenks (which it looks like you found). Just a couple more questions. Is your son competing in 7 on 7 this summer, or is he doing offseason work with a Jenks team, or is he participating in camps? He might already be in the right spot to learn.
Just as a point of order, ALL good football teams (at 12 years old) run the ball 8 out of 10 downs, so he shouldn't get frustrated by that. The coaches will switch to more of the pass priented offenses when the players physically have the ability to do it. At 12, he is probably the coaches favorite QB if he can run the ball as well as he can pass it. We really started to change our cameplans around age 12-13 when I ended up with a six foot tall QB that could throw the ball 45-50 yards in the air. Honestly, it's also as much of an issue to find a competent receiver. Usually the one kid that can consistently catch passes is also your starting running back (best athlete) so it makes it pretty difficult.
Jenks is a great place to learn as you well know. They should have a great offseason program, but i'm not sure about how much padded practice they will have until the end of the summer. Remember that there also short term camps at University of Tulsa and the University of Oklahoma. Jenks competes in the Indian Nations Football league, which will have a youth camp put on by Roy Williams later this summer.
If he wantes to watch the high school in action, I know that on June 2nd the Red Bull national 7 on 7 tournament comes to Tulsa (qualifier rounds). All of the major programs in Tulsa will be competing (including Jenks High School). As I said, it starts June 2, and is at East Central High School.

At 12, your son is really "raw meat" to a coach. The best thing he can do is try every position that interest him, while trying to physically build his body and skills. Have him eat well, sleep well, and fight like crazy and he will love his football experience at this age.
My oldest son (now playing scholarship ball in college) didn't start football until around 12, and his first practice he came home as a starting offensive lineman. By the end of the week, he was also starting on the d-line. The nnext week, he also took the job at kicker. At this age, coaches just love a gifted and willing athlete so your son should try everything they suggest to get on the field.

Good luck!

I'm coming out there sometime in late June (maybe earlier)...have to buy you lunch and meet up! This is great info and advice. thank you. Tulsa is a great place...last time I was out there, I saw this Broncos fan in his jersey flying down the freeway on a bike 10 min before gametime...I just about ran off the road I was so excited.

Las Vegas has an all pass 7 on 7 'no contact' league... technically you can run on 1 down every 10 yard series...all others must be forward passes.

Too funny that you mention the Roy Williams camp...he is signed up for it now. He is also signed up for the Indian Nations League with 2 camps this summer and then he wants to play the league ball out there....which runs through November I believe. We are going to see how he likes it for the summer camps first but I already signed him up for the Indian Nations fall season as his uncle and cousin are all over this pushing it. He's 12 so why not...

Funny he's all excited b/c they have a combine and draft. But he is really excited to play something new.

We will have to change our trip around and check out the Red Bull 7 on 7...sounds like a blast. I'll also look into the college camps...do you recommend any specific camps. We've been to some huge camps that are so big the kids rarely get 1 on 1 and just ends up being a 'rotary drill' camp.

Which school is your son playing for? Love hearing that he went out there and just owned his position...or three positions....on the field. Did he play for Jenks or Union or another school? Also, How can Tulsa have the two best teams in the state right next to each other...I was reading up on that rivalry and it sounds amazing!!! We have a school (bishop gorman) in Vegas that is a private school but they don't have any big rivalries to that degree and typically play out of state schools during the season. Who knows, I might have to pull up the stakes and move to Tulsa!

Vegas_Bronco
05-24-2012, 08:55 PM
have him play baseball or tennis.

He likes baseball a lot...we've played it every summer here and I told him he could go all football if he wanted to for the summer. Why do you suggest tennis?...footwork?

Vegas_Bronco
05-24-2012, 09:04 PM
I've had experience with camps and coaches that work with smaller groups, and I'd say that you should do both. My son is a 10th grader and I'd say that for learning his position, WR, he's learned a lot more from working with coaches that work with small groups. He worked with this one QB/WR coach where it was usually just my son and a QB. Or just one other WR. He got a lot of attention and a lot of reps. When he went to camps, he didn't learn a whole lot because there were so many kids. When there are 50 other WRs, what is he actually going to learn? And how many reps will he get? But I do find the camps helpful in terms of getting exposure. He got to meet the college scouts that are assigned to his area, and he got to see his competition level. So he learns a lot from the smaller groups, and he shows off what he's learned at the camps.

I'm not familiar with your area, but I'm sure it won't be hard to find coaches or programs for your son. I would say that if he wants to make a serious run at a college scholarship, he has to do training outside of what ever team that he he plays for. The QB/WR coach that I worked with, he told me that because a high school coach has limited time and a limited coaching staff, usually unpaid for the most part, all he really has time to do is teach the players how to line up and run the play. When it comes to learning how to play a position, there just isn't much instruction. I've been coaching Pop Warner football for the last 3 years, and it is true. We get the kids for 2 hours a practice, and only practice 3 times a week. There just isn't enough time to really teach each position when dealing with that many kids.

For your son, I'd say get him involved with a 7on7 team, and find out who is a good personal coach. Doing that will give him a major step up over most kids entering high school when he gets there in a couple years. It will make a difference.

Also great advice...we are going to change it up this summer for some full contact and then go back to 7on7. Do you have full contact 7on7? Also, did you start your son on the K-bands or does he use them with training? I just bought a set and they are helping his footwork a lot. Is he doing whey or any protein right now? If so, what age did you start him on this?

My inlaws live in Brea...so keep me posted on his workouts and camps he liked/likes.

Tell him he should consider UNLV...lol...so I'll have something to watch on Saturdays here. We need a WR that can catch 12-20 balls for 200+ each game. Has he even hinted at which school he likes?

Bacchus
05-25-2012, 05:09 AM
He likes baseball a lot...we've played it every summer here and I told him he could go all football if he wanted to for the summer. Why do you suggest tennis?...footwork?

Tennis is a good supplementary sport. If his main sport is Baseball, Tennis is a great sport for him to play when he is not playing Baseball. It will tap into the competiveness of a 1 on 1 sport, it will keep him in great shape and will help his eye to ball coordination and balance. Plus the chance of injury is minimal.

Jason in LA
05-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Also great advice...we are going to change it up this summer for some full contact and then go back to 7on7. Do you have full contact 7on7? Also, did you start your son on the K-bands or does he use them with training? I just bought a set and they are helping his footwork a lot. Is he doing whey or any protein right now? If so, what age did you start him on this?

My inlaws live in Brea...so keep me posted on his workouts and camps he liked/likes.

Tell him he should consider UNLV...lol...so I'll have something to watch on Saturdays here. We need a WR that can catch 12-20 balls for 200+ each game. Has he even hinted at which school he likes?

7on7 out here is non contact. Seems like every state is different, because I hear that some states are in pads way before California.

He's worked with bands a few times, but no K bands. As for supplements, he eats a metrx bar after a workout or practice. The only other supplement that he's taken was bcaa. That's safe for teenagers. But I'm not big on giving him too many supplements. He just needs to keep eating and he'll get bigger. A simple protein bar is okay for a kid. No need to go any farther than that until he gets a little older.

Do you have any idea how tall he'll end up being?

Vegas_Bronco
05-25-2012, 10:51 PM
7on7 out here is non contact. Seems like every state is different, because I hear that some states are in pads way before California.

He's worked with bands a few times, but no K bands. As for supplements, he eats a metrx bar after a workout or practice. The only other supplement that he's taken was bcaa. That's safe for teenagers. But I'm not big on giving him too many supplements. He just needs to keep eating and he'll get bigger. A simple protein bar is okay for a kid. No need to go any farther than that until he gets a little older.

Do you have any idea how tall he'll end up being?

Couldnt agree with you more on the supplements.

Hell most likely end up 6-2 or 6-3

missingnumber7
05-29-2012, 10:49 AM

Alot of Sports Med programs in our area, BFE North Dakota, offer programs they call accelleration. Basically strength and agility programs for 4, 6,8 weeks over the summer. I have watched very uncoordinated kids turn into to quick players and also put on the right kind of strength for the sports they are playing. Much more focused gym work, and sometimes they have groups you can join too, much cheaper that way.